New
May 21, 2018 1:54 PM
Mar 2018
Okay Okay Okay Okay Okay Okay Okay Okay
MeltiplyJul 24, 2022 9:04 PM
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 21, 2018 1:57 PM

Oct 2017
You really should ask the opposite: What's so good about Shonen anime?
Because that should be the majority here, considering One Piece is some of the most popular anime/manga ever.
Also considering Hero Aca got way too much hype and attention recently, asking the opposite is more reasonable since the people who like shonen anime are the majority here.

Anyway, if I have to answer your question, I think it mainly goes to how generic/ troopy 90% of them are, and too much good beats evil type of plot.
Some better shonen would make it like 80% good 20% evil grey area so it's not too shallow, but then the way of story-telling are usually too one dimensional, and often relies too much on using flashback of villains to force out the so-called grey area.
Ventus_SMay 21, 2018 2:01 PM
May 21, 2018 2:00 PM

Feb 2010
Nothing wrong with liking shounen, I love them myself.

Liking ONLY shounen tho, that's a bit narrow-minded imo. You should try to broaden your horizons since anime is a lot more than just shounen.

So yeah from how you tell the story it seems he's more criticizing the ONLY part than than the shounen part.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 21, 2018 2:00 PM

Apr 2016
Nothing is wrong with Shounen. It is targeted towards a younger demographic, but that doesn't keep it from having depth (Ashita no Joe is shounen and has some of the best character development in anime). This friend sounds like some 15 year old edgelord who just saw his first 3x3 thread.
FullmetalAliasMay 21, 2018 2:20 PM
May 21, 2018 2:01 PM

Jan 2009
ignore him since majority of anime fans like shounen anime lol

maybe its bad in the sense that shounen anime is so common especially battle shounen like Dragonball, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, My Hero Academia, Fairy Tail, Black Clover, etc that are very long running series too and have too much fillers
May 21, 2018 2:04 PM

Apr 2016
Too many yaoi ships to be honest here.
May 21, 2018 2:04 PM
Mar 2018
Pullman said:
Nothing wrong with liking shounen, I love them myself.

Liking ONLY shounen tho, that's a bit narrow-minded imo. You should try to broaden your horizons since anime is a lot more than just shounen.

So yeah from how you tell the story it seems he's more criticizing the ONLY part than than the shounen part.

It is not that I only like Shounen. That is just the majority of the stuff I have watched and enjoyed. I am open to watching different genres. My apologies if I worded it poorly.
May 21, 2018 2:11 PM

Dec 2010
I really enjoy shounen anime it is my favorite anime demographic it's what got me into anime a long time ago so it is what I watch mostly I still like other kinds of anime as well so there is nothing wrong with liking shounen anime.
May 21, 2018 2:13 PM

Jan 2018
Nothing really... a lot of people started with shounen anime. I guess some people dont like that it always follows the same basic formula.
May 21, 2018 2:18 PM

Sep 2012
Shows for children typically feature overhanded, blunt, to-the-point, borderline inhuman dialogue in which characters verbally explain step-by-step what's going on, what their feelings are, and what the plot is to each other, and to themselves.

Just really bad writing that's I guess intended either for people who have little experience living life as a human being and find emotions hard to pick up on without having it verbatim spoon-fed to them, or, you know, children.
May 21, 2018 2:19 PM

Jun 2017
It's cool to hate on popular stuff. Shounen is always heading the popular stuff.
I'm a shitposter for fun
May 21, 2018 2:21 PM

Nov 2016
You rated FMAB with an one,my poor heart

Nothing wrong with liking shounen,yet you shouldn't limit yourself to them without to try different kind of anime.

But seeing that you just started in march implies that you didn't really had the chance to try out a lot of stuff. So don't worry, you still have plenty of time to find your own taste in anime.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 21, 2018 2:31 PM

Jun 2014
I don't find anything bad about Shounen. Granted, there are both good Shounen Anime, and bad Shounen Anime, just like with everything else.

On the other hand, I tend to dislike the vast majority of all Seinen/Josei Anime, and I literally go out of my way to avoid those.

May 21, 2018 2:48 PM

Dec 2012
I depends on what you/he mean by "shounen". If it's the real definition as a demographic (shows for 12-17 teenaged boys) then nothing is bad about them. There's a large variety of different genres that even this 35 year old adult enjoys.

If you mean what most people think when they hear "shounen", aka battle shounen shows like Bleach, Dragonball, Fairy Tail, Naruto, and One Piece then he has a point. You can settle for them if you want, it's your perogative, but you definitely don't have to look that hard to find shows with fewer flaws that are less repetitive.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 21, 2018 2:55 PM

Jun 2017
You mean battle shounens right?! Because Mitsuboshi Colors is also considered as shounen...
Wait a second do you really like shounen?!
mhkrMay 21, 2018 2:59 PM
May 21, 2018 3:07 PM

Jan 2015
As with any genre of anime, shounen also has bad and good examples. It all depends on which shounen you like.
But generally, the worse examples of shounen are often either too edgy or too innocent. The battles are unrealistic where the mc will fall like 20 times and then remember the power or friendship or some bullshit like that and then magically get back up and win the fight. There are also a bunch of stereotypical characters such as revenge driven edgy kids, brain dead girls who will do anything their love interest wants them to do etc. And they never learn, the characters do the same shit all over again and that gets very annoying because like, how fucking stupid can you be not to learn after like 20 times of making the same mistake?! And many many more...
As I said, I don't hate shounen, heck my top 2 favorite anime are shounen, but I do hate the bad shounen cause I can literally feel my brain cells running away while watching it.

May 21, 2018 3:09 PM

Oct 2013
whats bad about shounen is that it doesn't fall under any exact category really but is simply a tag of what demographic it is marketed towards. In this case young boys.
So you could say its bad it doesn't have any defined genre inclusions and is just a really broad term
so to be real @Meltiply but when he critics you for only liking shounen anime that is meaningless because that can mean anything since there are romance shows, drama shows, action shows, fantasy shows, science fiction shows or horror shows for example that are aimed towards young boys or teens
all of which can have character development so really your friend is full of shit
May 21, 2018 3:17 PM

Aug 2012
Well shonen is a term directly translated to "boy", hence a demographic targeting a younger audience. The narrative is always more light and less serious. They're usually highlighted around battling etc. It's just about what you enjoy at the end of the day. Your buddy is probably not in the target audience to begin with. I enjoy myself some One Piece too, which is the most sold manga of all time.
May 21, 2018 3:27 PM

Nov 2013
Meltiply said:
I just got into watching anime around March. I have a friend named Paisen that I frequently watch anime with. He likes shows that have character development yadayadayada. Whenever we get into an argument about anime he usually comes at me telling me I only like shounen. What is so bad about shounen anime? Whenever I tell him I don't like an anime he does, most of the time he will tell me that I don't like "adult" anime.

There's no anime more adult(mature) than One Piece, and One Piece is a shounen anime. So your friend is wrong.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
May 21, 2018 3:30 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
*Insert C.S. Lewis quote about fairy tales*

Meh, your friend is dumb and should just be disregarded. Let him go be mature and adult off to the side somewhere and don't mind him any.

May 21, 2018 3:34 PM

Aug 2016
Nothing wrong with it, you just can't sit at the adult table for Thanksgiving.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
May 21, 2018 3:36 PM

Apr 2018
Being a fan of Dragon Ball, I tend to see how like shows of it try to copy the concept and I kind of get the gist of it. Imo it's Dragon Ball but with something different slapped on top of it. Nothing wrong with shounen. [Really liked other shounen like Naruto, Fairy Tail, and Bleach] If you like shounen then by all means continue liking what you like.
May 21, 2018 3:40 PM
Mar 2018
Viltas said:
Let me guess, your friend is a fan of Fullmetal Alchemist?

I am not for sure. I know he is a fan of Clannad though, if that matters.
May 21, 2018 3:40 PM

Oct 2015
I mean, we are talking about specifically battle shounen right? Like, there are other shounen out there.

Nothing is wrong with it, tell your friend to eat his words and watch some Jojo.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

May 21, 2018 3:46 PM

Nov 2017
In 6 episodes you can tell a full story. Most shounen in same interval do not have enough time to finish a single battle. They squeeze their cow of money to much...
May 21, 2018 3:46 PM

Apr 2018
I was a die-hard fan of shounen battle anime until one day, I got sick and tired of them and despised them ever since. Couple reasons why:

- "Power of friendship" stuff always made me cringe. When I liked shounen, I was like "meh, stuff like this is supposed to happen." Now it just makes me nauseous lol
- The back-and-forth power-ups are super repetitive and boring
- The protags and villains tend to be generic as hell
- The repetitive adventure -> find villain -> get shit on by villain -> train -> power-up -> get shit on by villain -> everything looks like shit -> win by the power of friend ship plotline (really this is just a summary of my previous points)

That being said, some shounens are pretty good despite following the same cliches as above (EX: BHNA). In fact, some of them are phenomenal. Its all in the execution, really. However, I still can't find myself to like them and will stay off any new ones for a long ass time.
Imperio_nMay 21, 2018 3:51 PM
May 21, 2018 3:47 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
There's nothig wrong with shounen, its just that you and your friend have different tastes. I think he's acting quite snobbish about your taste.

Its 2018, yet people still don't realize that shounen is a demographic and not all shounen anime is about fighting.
May 21, 2018 3:55 PM

Nov 2012
The only bad thing about shonen, is that bad ones like Bleach and Fairy Tail give them a bad reputation since they are among the most popular.
May 21, 2018 4:00 PM

Apr 2018
SuperRed said:
The only bad thing about shonen, is that bad ones like Bleach and Fairy Tail give them a bad reputation since they are among the most popular.

>Bleach manga vietnam flashbacks
Dear god...
May 21, 2018 4:09 PM
Jul 2018
It's been my experience that shounen anime tend to be filled to the brim with nakama power.

And it makes sense for them to be, since they're aimed at a young audience. But it gets old pretty fast.
May 21, 2018 4:48 PM

Nov 2014
Well, you might want to turn around the question and ask "What's so good about shounen?" I mean, damn, I consider myself to not like most shounen, but taking a glance at your ratings it is far harsher than mine.

In any case, people who've watched anime tend to use their extensive list as some sort of justification. It's nothing more than a personal attack. Instead of engaging them in that argument, make it more general. You can always use your preferences from other entertainment mediums to prove a point.

Though if you find that the kind of shows you watch are all similar to shounen anime in some way, then maybe your friend has a point. So then just watch the show your friend insists have great development and try to break its flaws down. If it's actually good, maybe you actually trying to analyse it can give you new-found appreciation for it.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
May 21, 2018 5:01 PM

Jul 2017
The shounen genre tends to recycle the same cliches more than any other genre.

Crying doesn't mean you're weak.
Enduring doesn't mean you're strong.
May 21, 2018 5:24 PM

Nov 2012
maluhia said:

No, we are not talking about isekai here.
May 21, 2018 5:33 PM

Aug 2015
What so bad about shounen?
>Cliche
>Nakama powaaa
>Plot armor
Best example: Fairy Tail
But who cares... I just have to admit I have a bad taste.. XD
But if you want to argue with other people IRL, I think you do have to watch more other genres.. at least until the ratio is 50% shounen : 50% mix of other generics/genres.

PS. I see that you rated Naruto with 2... So I think you should've know what's bad about shounen....??

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
May 21, 2018 5:40 PM

Oct 2016
For a new fan you're quite harsh on your score. Bakemonogatari and Fullmetal Alchemist a 1? Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

There's nothing wrong with shounen shows, especially if you're a noob when it comes to anime- when you're first introduced it can be really hard to get into those more "mature" series. However, I can understand what your friend is saying- shounen can get extremely troopy and cliche,following the same formulas over and over. I love some shounens myself but I believe you should expand your horizons a bit- watch something else that's not shounen.
May 21, 2018 5:42 PM

Oct 2013
SuperRed said:
maluhia said:
No we are not talking about [Insert random genre/target demographic/setting you happen to dislike] here

@maluhia that statement is so fucking hollow just saying considering shounen is such a broad term that it doesn't inherently recycle cliches that belong to the demographic since there is no 100% guideline
its not even a genre which basically proves the point. Its just a show aimed at young men. Young men have several different interests and as I said earlier in this thread
Deknijff said:
whats bad about shounen is that it doesn't fall under any exact category really but is simply a tag of what demographic it is marketed towards. In this case young boys.
So you could say its bad it doesn't have any defined genre inclusions and is just a really broad term
so to be real @Meltiply but when he critics you for only liking shounen anime that is meaningless because that can mean anything since there are romance shows, drama shows, action shows, fantasy shows, science fiction shows or horror shows for example that are aimed towards young boys or teens
all of which can have character development so really your friend is full of shit
all of which follows only certain cliches of the genres that are included in the show. That has nothing to do with it being strictly a shounen targeted show. But fault by the genres that happen to be included
May 21, 2018 5:52 PM
Dec 2015
In accordance with Sturgeon's law 90% of everything is crap. Including shounen. There's more shounen than other types of anime and they get over hyped more. Difference between that and other anime is ppl STFU about other anime.
May 21, 2018 6:00 PM

Oct 2017
There's nothing wrong in liking shounen only anime. Your friend is immature and saying baseless shit, don't listen to him...
May 21, 2018 6:23 PM

Jul 2017
Deknijff said:
SuperRed said:
No we are not talking about [Insert random genre/target demographic/setting you happen to dislike] here

@maluhia that statement is so fucking hollow just saying considering shounen is such a broad term that it doesn't inherently recycle cliches that belong to the demographic since there is no 100% guideline
its not even a genre which basically proves the point. Its just a show aimed at young men. Young men have several different interests and as I said earlier in this thread
Deknijff said:
all of which follows only certain cliches of the genres that are included in the show. That has nothing to do with it being strictly a shounen targeted show. But fault by the genres that happen to be included

I really don't care about your nuances. Deal w/ it.

Crying doesn't mean you're weak.
Enduring doesn't mean you're strong.
May 21, 2018 6:26 PM

Apr 2014
"What is so bad about shounen anime?"
the answer to that specific question is nothing at all.
May 21, 2018 6:43 PM

Mar 2015
Ventus_S said:
Because that should be the majority here, considering One Piece is some of the most popular anime/manga ever.
Also considering Hero Aca got way too much hype and attention recently, asking the opposite is more reasonable since the people who like shonen anime are the majority here.

Anyway, if I have to answer your question, I think it mainly goes to how generic/ troopy 90% of them are, and too much good beats evil type of plot.
Some better shonen would make it like 80% good 20% evil grey area so it's not too shallow, but then the way of story-telling are usually too one dimensional, and often relies too much on using flashback of villains to force out the so-called grey area.

obviously generic, like negima and koe no katachi...

Red_Keys said:
Shows for children typically feature overhanded, blunt, to-the-point, borderline inhuman dialogue in which characters verbally explain step-by-step what's going on, what their feelings are, and what the plot is to each other, and to themselves.

Just really bad writing that's I guess intended either for people who have little experience living life as a human being and find emotions hard to pick up on without having it verbatim spoon-fed to them, or, you know, children.

yeah, very exagrated and unrealistic, like death note and rosario to vampire....

Kerylon said:
I was a die-hard fan of shounen battle anime until one day, I got sick and tired of them and despised them ever since. Couple reasons why:

- "Power of friendship" stuff always made me cringe. When I liked shounen, I was like "meh, stuff like this is supposed to happen." Now it just makes me nauseous lol
- The repetitive adventure -> find villain -> get shit on by villain -> train -> power-up -> get shit on by villain -> everything looks like shit -> win by the power of friend ship plotline (really this is just a summary of my previous points)

That being said, some shounens are pretty good despite following the same cliches as above (EX: BHNA). In fact, some of them are phenomenal. Its all in the execution, really. However, I still can't find myself to like them and will stay off any new ones for a long ass time.

like FMA, rorouni kenshin, and gintama? yeah, lot of nakama power there...

Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
It's been my experience that shounen anime tend to be filled to the brim with nakama power.

And it makes sense for them to be, since they're aimed at a young audience. But it gets old pretty fast.

for example trigun, gintama, nichijou, gabriel dropout,claymore, yotsubato, and Shingeki no Kyojin? sure, getting old fast...

maluhia said:

like barakamon, gin no saji, and yakusoku no neverland? yeah, pretty cliche...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 21, 2018 6:50 PM

Apr 2018
Kuma said:
Ventus_S said:

Red_Keys said:

yeah, very exagrated and unrealistic, like death note and rosario to vampire....

Kerylon said:

Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

for example trigun, gintama, nichijou, gabriel dropout,claymore, yotsubato, and Shingeki no Kyojin? sure, getting old fast...

maluhia said:

Rurouni Kenshin and FMA: I read these in my childhood before I stopped liking shonen and they have a special place due to nostalgia
Gintama: The lack of nakama power is the reason why this is on there in the first place

Also did someone make you salty cuz u just out here going to people's profiles and attacking their tastes LOL
May 21, 2018 6:51 PM

Jun 2017
Nothing , in fact , if LOGH was as popular , it'd be as hated , people love to hate.

May 21, 2018 6:54 PM

Mar 2015
Kerylon said:
Kuma said:

Rurouni Kenshin and FMA: I read these in my childhood before I stopped liking shonen and they have a special place due to nostalgia

so, you only liking it because nostalgia, not because it content?

Kerylon said:
Gintama: The lack of nakama power is the reason why this is on there in the first place

are we see same series? because the whole deal about yorozuya is nakama (well, closer to family actually) power... the current arc even about saving teacher with nakama power...

Kerylon said:
Also did someone make you salty cuz u just out here going to people's profiles and attacking their tastes LOL

nah, i simply find it funny when people looking down something that it can apply on their favorites as well...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 21, 2018 6:56 PM

Apr 2018
Kuma said:
Kerylon said:

Kerylon said:

are we see same series? because the whole deal about yorozuya is nakama (well, closer to family actually) power... the current arc even about saving teacher with nakama power...

Kerylon said:

nah, i simply find it funny when people looking down something that they put on favorites...

I'm criticizing the genre and so is mostly everyone else here, I don't see anything wrong with that. Also the content was good, just to clarify
May 21, 2018 6:58 PM

Sep 2012
LMAO at using Rosario to Vampire as a counter to what I said.

Yeah, filter through my list because what I said made you butthurt and you need a "gotcha" counterexample. Maybe next time don't fail so hard.

Anyway, since we're talking about "shounen" as a generalization, I think it's fair to make broad points that don't necessarily universally apply to every single individual work that fits under the label. Exceptions exist. I thought it didn't need to be said because it's obvious. (Even though I actually did say it, because the word "typically", the fourth word in my post, was put there for a reason).
Red_KeysMay 21, 2018 7:07 PM
May 21, 2018 7:16 PM

Mar 2015
Kerylon said:
Kuma said:

nah, i simply find it funny when people looking down something that they put on favorites...

I'm criticizing the genre and so is mostly everyone else here, I don't see anything wrong with that. Also the content was good, just to clarify

>shounen is demographic
>sure you can critics, but again, be self aware and and relevant, not just some buzzword thrown around...

i mean, it would be funny if you talking shit about food you don't made but you still empty a whole big serve and secretely taking some of it back to home...
May 21, 2018 7:20 PM

Aug 2009
Solid picks for beginners.

Basic [bitch] picks for veterans.

Easy targets for trolls.

Seriously. Just fuck anime fans at times.

May 21, 2018 7:24 PM

Apr 2018
Kuma said:
Kerylon said:

>shounen is demographic
>sure you can critics, but again, be self aware and and relevant, not just some buzzword thrown around...

i mean, it would be funny if you talking shit about food you don't made but you still empty a whole big serve and secretely taking some of it back to home...

It was mostly battle shounens that I was criticizing. I guess that kinda counts as a genre?

Also about your food analogy - So by your logic it is hypocritical for me to criticize characteristics of animes that I do not like bc I have a few shounen anime on my favorites that DONT have those characteristics? We can debate if they have those characteristics at a later time, but please do not take my words and twist them around like that....

You're fanning the fire for no reason lul...
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 6 hours ago

24 by Ricchan__ »»
3 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 2 hours ago

11 by Horizon248 »»
4 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

59 by Daviljoe193 »»
9 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

67 by Gator »»
10 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - Today

48 by alshu »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.