Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 4, 2018 1:26 PM

Jun 2011
For this to get 2 cours, you'd think that the popularity would just rise like with Franxxx, but hardly anyone talks about it.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
May 5, 2018 11:01 AM
Jul 2018
About that...
MAL is an American website and American anime watchers do not like it or so it seems.
Americans love guns; they don't like swords and since Toji no Miko is an anime action-packed with sword battles; they dislike it.
Nothing unexpected though.
May 5, 2018 1:05 PM

Sep 2013
The mobage is doing good in japan and getting a chinese spinoff or something like that.
I can see a movie happnening.
May 6, 2018 6:44 PM

Mar 2015
It's not worth more than a 6/10 imo but there's something about it that keeps me from dorpping it.
May 6, 2018 6:57 PM

Jan 2011
Katana Maidens is a all girl battle mobage those normally tend to do awful for rating on Mal due to them normally just being "cash ins" for the sake of advertising the game and for once this one has a decent plot with some good writing but by the time it's already aired most people don't even bother with it and very few stick around let alone actually talk about it , which is a shame since this has been one of the best ones to come out so far granted that bar is low with these types of shows
May 6, 2018 9:26 PM
May 2016
Why people keep telling this series is mobile game adaptation, this is Original Anime while mobile game and manga being developed parallelly
May 11, 2018 4:03 PM

Oct 2010
Anything with an all-girl cast automatically draws disinterest and hostility, whether deservedly or not. I love battle girl anime and for me this show is a 6, worth watching but not a great one.

Izanagi said:
Americans love guns; they don't like swords(...)

But there are plenty of samurai anime that are popular on MAL: https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/21/Samurai (sort by most members)

What about Lord of the Rings, Skyrim, Star Wars (lightsabers >>> blasters), Dark Souls, and every superhero that doesn't use guns?
May 13, 2018 7:08 AM
Jan 2018
It's mainly got to do with the demographics of the viewers. The anime is popular in Japan and in other Asian countries, take for the fact that they have events, anime cafe and livestreams in Japan for instance but when it comes to Western countries such as the US, people won't like it as much because they have different tastes compared to their Japanese or Asian counterparts.
May 13, 2018 9:22 AM
May 2016
Most of viewer like to watch anime with male lead than a bunch of girls i think
May 13, 2018 9:56 AM

Jan 2015
Izanagi said:
About that...
MAL is an American website and American anime watchers do not like it or so it seems.
Americans love guns; they don't like swords and since Toji no Miko is an anime action-packed with sword battles; they dislike it.

HAHAHAHAH thanks, made my day.
May 13, 2018 10:30 AM

Jun 2011
So white people don't like it. Gotcha.
May 14, 2018 7:44 AM

Mar 2017
Well, I'm enjoying it so far.

I've rated it 9/10.

I prefer it over guns and all that.
May 14, 2018 10:05 AM

Aug 2017
Izanagi said:
About that...

MAL isn't just use by americains tho...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2018 9:09 PM

Oct 2015
cause people have different tastes and unfortunately for this the majority favors other kinds of media

On another note on to the PTW this goes
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2018 9:41 PM

Apr 2011
Because it's mediocre at best. The beginning was interesting but the story never really went anywhere, then in the last episode of the first cour they finally decide to go meet the final boss and beat her like it was nothing.
May 18, 2018 3:36 PM
Oct 2016
Well, someone had to ask that.
May 18, 2018 3:51 PM

Sep 2007
It's a ten out of ten, best comedy I've seen in years!

Wait, you mean the show, not this thread, never mind.

May 18, 2018 3:58 PM

Oct 2010
Two cours doesn't magically make people like a show more, especially when the show is bland and uninteresting.

Shizuma designs aside (and frankly, most of them kind of suck and the only one worth seeing would be much better served in virtually anything else Shizuma has done designs for), Toji no Miko brings nothing of any particular worth to the viewer. Well, the story has gone all over the place, so I guess you can give it a plus for being unpredictable, but that's not actually a good thing.

There's plenty of other anime involving swords that you could watch that will give you whatever fix you might need of "people fighting with swords" or "people fighting monsters with swords". Why waste time not watching those and instead watching Toji no Miko?

Well, not that we'd know because apparently americans and white people in general hate swords lmao
May 18, 2018 5:16 PM

Jun 2017
My problem is that the second arc totally nullified the first, Tagitsu being the end boss 2 times is kinda boring. You'd think the 2 extra princesses would spice up the story but we barely saw anything and one of them is already offed...

This could have been a 12 ep series and it would have ended the same lol.

But since I came so far I might as well stick around until the end.
May 18, 2018 6:31 PM
Jan 2010
Shizuma designs aside (and frankly, most of them kind of suck and the only one worth seeing would be much better served in virtually anything else Shizuma has done designs for), Toji no Miko brings nothing of any particular worth to the viewer. Well, the story has gone all over the place, so I guess you can give it a plus for being unpredictable, but that's not actually a good thing.

Maybe the show doesn't really interest you? The part about "bringing nothing of any particular worth to the viewer" isn't the fault of the show—it's the viewer's fault for not seeing it as interesting. Also, the "story going all over the place" can't be this further from the truth.

Valaskjalf said:
Because it's mediocre at best.

You could have just said that instead of adding misguided opinions to it.
May 18, 2018 11:23 PM

Apr 2011
Orix said:

Maybe the show doesn't really interest you? The part about "bringing nothing of any particular worth to the viewer" isn't the fault of the show—it's the viewer's fault for not seeing it as interesting. Also, the "story going all over the place" can't be this further from the truth.

Valaskjalf said:
Because it's mediocre at best.

You could have just said that instead of adding misguided opinions to it.

Everything after that isn't "misguided opinion". It's facts.
May 19, 2018 5:22 AM

Oct 2007
The first 12 episodes I followed this anime, I gave it a 10. Kaname and Hiyori on the run made me interested on it.

Then come the second batch.. for some reason I got extremely bored with Toji no Miko. Dropped the score to 7, and then dropped the anime. Other shows like Uma Musume stole my attention.
May 19, 2018 5:26 AM

Aug 2015
Wow thanks, just got a mix of leprosy and ass cancer from reading that synopsis. I'm actually suprised that it doesn't have ecchi nor comedy in the genres, that would be the icing on the cake.
May 19, 2018 5:28 AM

Nov 2014
Apart from them both being 2-cour shows and airing at the same time this and FranXX have nothing in common so I don't understand why anyone would try and draw a comparison. I mean there are other (non sequel) 2-cour shows airing right now but you want to bring up the most popular one.
The truth is that this just isn't as good as FranXX, that's all there is to it.
Forum Signature
May 19, 2018 10:35 AM

Oct 2010
Orix said:
Maybe the show doesn't really interest you? The part about "bringing nothing of any particular worth to the viewer" isn't the fault of the show—it's the viewer's fault for not seeing it as interesting.

No, it's most definitely the fault of the show. The viewer is not to blame for it being bland tripe with a cookie cutter cast - nor for the barely explained world or Gokumi's increasing struggle with actually animating it to a level anyone would consider "TV average", though to be fair anyone who was expecting Gokumi to pull through on that after seeing their last work was being overly confident - they aren't doing particularly great right now. Funnily enough, Toji no Miko isn't helping alleviate that. What a shame.

It offers absolutely nothing that you can't find in anything else with a similiar pretense. Even its use of not that often shown sword use styles can only pull you so far. Perhaps you'd get better mileage if you play the tie-in game, but having done that I can't really say the extra 5 lines of lore have really helped cement any more of a hold than Toji no Miko already had - which is virtually none. It's simply, and unfortunately, subpar. It's a shame, but that's how it is.

Orix said:
Also, the "story going all over the place" can't be this further from the truth.

The amount of times the purview of the story has changed can almost be counted on two hands. The original premise is done away with in the first episode. Etc etc.
May 19, 2018 6:50 PM

Jun 2011
Taggart25 said:

Well, not that we'd know because apparently americans and white people in general hate swords lmao

Of course. Why do you think so many katana folding memes came about? Because of white people.
May 20, 2018 3:19 AM
Jan 2010
Liddo-kun said:
Then come the second batch.. for some reason I got extremely bored with Toji no Miko. Dropped the score to 7, and then dropped the anime. Other shows like Uma Musume stole my attention.

Uma Musume, that makes sense. You didn't like politics in your anime.

Taggart25 said:
No, it's most definitely the fault of the show. The viewer is not to blame for it being bland tripe with a cookie cutter cast - nor for the barely explained world or Gokumi's increasing struggle with actually animating it to a level anyone would consider "TV average", though to be fair anyone who was expecting Gokumi to pull through on that after seeing their last work was being overly confident - they aren't doing particularly great right now.

"Bland tripe" = Didn't care about the show in the first place.
"Cookie cutter cast" = Learned to dismiss a show for the main cast.
"Barely explained world" = Didn't bother to pick up the details from the episodes.

Your only agreeable point is Gokumi being worrisome choice for a two-cour show.

Taggart25 said:
The amount of times the purview of the story has changed can almost be counted on two hands. The original premise is done away with in the first episode. Etc etc.

If you meant the scene with Sayaka chopping up the centipede, then suddenly changed to the tournament and assassination attempt, then you've missed the point. The story has only began with the assassination attempt, and this series won't spoonfeed you about the structure of the story in Episode 1.

Corvus8 said:
Wow thanks, just got a mix of leprosy and ass cancer from reading that synopsis. I'm actually suprised that it doesn't have ecchi nor comedy in the genres, that would be the icing on the cake.

You sure that you didn't have either before reading the synopsis?
May 20, 2018 7:29 AM

Oct 2007
Orix said:
Liddo-kun said:

Uma Musume, that makes sense. You didn't like politics in your anime.

Made it through episodes of Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio just fine, so it's not the politics why I got bored with Toki no Miko. Anyway, I haven't permanently dropped TnM.. might pick it up again when I run out of things to watch. And the final score of 7 before I dropped it is still a good score - gave it that because I liked the first half. :)
May 20, 2018 7:57 AM

Oct 2010
Orix said:

"Bland tripe" = Didn't care about the show in the first place.
"Cookie cutter cast" = Learned to dismiss a show for the main cast.
"Barely explained world" = Didn't bother to pick up the details from the episodes.

Nope, nope, and nope. I've watched and enjoyed shows with cookie cutter casts (they aren't necessarily a bad thing) and I was invested prior to the airing because Shizuma + Swords + Special Police. Perhaps now the main reason I continue is because of Shizuma. I honestly don't know. It's not for the swords, because Gokumi isn't doing a grand job of showing them at work.

I should be able to know more of the world considering I've played the game, which offers choice extra lore tidbits - even they don't help cement the world. Does explain one character though - why her main backstory is left to the game when she's such a major player is beyond me, but it's there. Maybe you should put this information into the show and not the tie-in game, that'd be nice guys.

If you meant the scene with Sayaka chopping up the centipede, then suddenly changed to the tournament and assassination attempt, then you've missed the point. The story has only began with the assassination attempt, and this series won't spoonfeed you about the structure of the story in Episode 1.

No, I mean the entire tournament, the original synopsis (which is barely touched upon in the game either, actually) which is done away in episode 1 to start the assassination plotline that, to be fair, does run its course between three other completely inane plotlines of which one works as a character arc and the other two are just kind of there until they get subsumed by cour 2.

Cour 2 is... certainly something, but I'm gonna hold out to the end to see if it all wraps up neatly or not. Maybe it'll leave the big details to the game again, maybe it won't. Hopefully not.
May 20, 2018 6:38 PM
Jan 2010
Taggart25 said:
I honestly don't know. It's not for the swords, because Gokumi isn't doing a grand job of showing them at work.

There's nothing really "grand" about real-life kenjutsu. A quick browse on Youtube would reveal that outside of period stories and chanbara, kenjutsu is very uneventful. A match ends when two competitors clash, and the uninitiated might miss the outcome. It doesn't help that kenjutsu has a philosophical branch that cannot be seen in a typical match. Regardless, CGI on Act 1 was there to make sure each kata and stance was faithfully recreated (see Yume's fight with Kanami in Episode 11).

Taggart25 said:
Maybe you should put this information into the show and not the tie-in game, that'd be nice guys.

That's how mediamix works: you create a rich fictional world that's split between multiple pieces of media. Well, it's good that the manga is simply a retelling, and the whole lore is only divided between the anime and the game.

Taggart25 said:
No, I mean the entire tournament, the original synopsis (which is barely touched upon in the game either, actually) which is done away in episode 1 to start the assassination plotline that, to be fair, does run its course between three other completely inane plotlines of which one works as a character arc and the other two are just kind of there until they get subsumed by cour 2.

Cour 2 is... certainly something, but I'm gonna hold out to the end to see if it all wraps up neatly or not. Maybe it'll leave the big details to the game again, maybe it won't. Hopefully not.

I think the original synopsis has been covered well, but they decided that it's unnecessary to retell that through anime episodes. After all, regardless of the assassination storyline or those other plotlines, the story was still about shrine maidens who wield okatana to slay Aradama. And well, they did explain why there are no actual shrine maidens, and that reason was related to the current situation revolving around the Toji system.
May 25, 2018 9:46 AM

Sep 2007
I don't think I've seen a more misguided and annoying defense of a show then Orix going 'you watched it wrong that's why you think it's bad." like seriously, are you so full of yourself that you think your opinions are worth more somehow, that you can see the truth of the show being a masterpiece and we who don't like it just HAVE to be wrong? God forbid somebody watched it and thought it was bad, we should all listen to you instead because we're clearly too stupid to understand this deep and intricate show.

You're allowed to like an unpopular show, I like Dances with the Dragons from this season and it's being trashed on mal super hard, but don't be so rude about it, accept that opinions are different to yours. people who don't like this show did not watch it wrong or fail to understand what makes it good, they did not see anything good in those parts, that's how subjectivity works. You might like the characters, but I found them to be completely uninteresting archtypes, because I have seen them in literally hundreds of shows at this point.

It's arrogant to take a stance of "people who dislike this are wrong." which is clearly what you've done, which is the only reason you came into this thread at all. I don't know what you set out to accomplish here, but telling people they're incorrect in their opinions almost never convinces them to switch sides, it makes them dig their heels in harder the more you attack them for feeling the way that they do.
May 25, 2018 5:50 PM
Jan 2010
but don't be so rude about it, accept that opinions are different to yours

I've been through that for way too many times, already. There's no more need to act goody-two-shoes in a forum that doesn't prevent wellsprings of vitriol from emerging.

It's arrogant to take a stance of "people who dislike this are wrong." which is clearly what you've done, which is the only reason you came into this thread at all. I don't know what you set out to accomplish here, but telling people they're incorrect in their opinions almost never convinces them to switch sides, it makes them dig their heels in harder the more you attack them for feeling the way that they do.

It's their anime experience. Nobody will suddenly change their mind after seeing another user's opinions. But dropping this because they find it "boring" is the weakest excuse for any show, not just Toji no Miko. And they will be called out on their bullshit.
May 25, 2018 7:59 PM

Jun 2011
Rahkshilord said:
I don't think I've seen a more misguided and annoying defense of a show then Orix going 'you watched it wrong that's why you think it's bad." like seriously, are you so full of yourself that you think your opinions are worth more somehow, that you can see the truth of the show being a masterpiece and we who don't like it just HAVE to be wrong? God forbid somebody watched it and thought it was bad, we should all listen to you instead because we're clearly too stupid to understand this deep and intricate show.

You're allowed to like an unpopular show, I like Dances with the Dragons from this season and it's being trashed on mal super hard, but don't be so rude about it, accept that opinions are different to yours. people who don't like this show did not watch it wrong or fail to understand what makes it good, they did not see anything good in those parts, that's how subjectivity works. You might like the characters, but I found them to be completely uninteresting archtypes, because I have seen them in literally hundreds of shows at this point.

Yet shows that are apparently "popular and good" like say Cowboy Bebop will label you a pariah if you say you don't like them. Funny how the double standards around here works.
May 25, 2018 8:24 PM

Sep 2007
Orix said:
I've been through that for way too many times, already. There's no more need to act goody-two-shoes in a forum that doesn't prevent wellsprings of vitriol from emerging.

This is not a defense, just because other people are assholes doesn't mean you have any right to be, and you should instead try to be better than they are because it makes your points look more reasonable.

Orix said:
It's their anime experience. Nobody will suddenly change their mind after seeing another user's opinions. But dropping this because they find it "boring" is the weakest excuse for any show, not just Toji no Miko. And they will be called out on their bullshit.

No, I'm calling you out for your bullshit, you attempt to shut down the argument by saying we're wrong, that we watched it wrong and didn't understand it, or that we unfairly dropped it. You don't defend the show you just attack the detractors.

Dropping a show because it bores me is literally the main reason I drop shows, because why would I watch something boring? Why exactly, is that any weaker a reason for dropping it than anything else? it's not and you know it's not but you have no other argument left to defend your opinion on this show, so instead of bringing up a single valid argument in favor of it you choose to go after the person instead.

I wasn't even going to respond to this thread seriously, but your argument with Taggart really rubbed me the wrong way, particularly the part where you say and I quote "The part about "bringing nothing of any particular worth to the viewer" isn't the fault of the show—it's the viewer's fault for not seeing it as interesting." because it shifts any potential blame away from the show and all onto the other person, who gives valid reasons for his opinions which are just invalid because it's his fault he didn't like the show, according to you.

Ahegyao said:
Yet shows that are apparently "popular and good" like say Cowboy Bebop will label you a pariah if you say you don't like them. Funny how the double standards around here works.

Very true, and very unfortunate. I don't think bebop is that amazing personally, but the cult of nostalgia refuses to accept opinions like that. I love legend of the galactic heroes but I would never call someone wrong for disliking it or thinking it's boring. It's a show about people drinking coffee and wine and discussing philosophy while fighting space battles that aren't visually impressive and are about the tactics, I get it's not for everyone and accept this. The need to defend shows you like is a problem that I feel people need to let go, does them disliking it affect your enjoyment in any way? Not really.
May 26, 2018 12:38 AM
Jan 2010
This is not a defense, just because other people are assholes doesn't mean you have any right to be, and you should instead try to be better than they are because it makes your points look more reasonable.

There are other communities that reward not being an asshole, and it's not the MAL forums. Just look at General Discussion here. Do you think they care about reasonable points? Nope, they just want to call out the tastes of other users.

Dropping a show because it bores me is literally the main reason I drop shows, because why would I watch something boring?

If I don't see myself being interested in a show, I simply don't watch it. No further point to talk about it with those who probably have watched more episodes than you (if you dropped the show), especially if they know that what you didn't like about the series is not really the fault of the show in the first place.

I wasn't even going to respond to this thread seriously, but your argument with Taggart really rubbed me the wrong way, particularly the part where you say and I quote "The part about "bringing nothing of any particular worth to the viewer" isn't the fault of the show—it's the viewer's fault for not seeing it as interesting." because it shifts any potential blame away from the show and all onto the other person, who gives valid reasons for his opinions which are just invalid because it's his fault he didn't like the show, according to you.

Because at the end of the day, an anime series is not created for YOU, the individual. The ones with the money don't know the individual's tastes, the themes the individual likes or dislikes, or the kind of character an individual would like to see. That's why some isekai shows sell a lot while some isekai shows get minimal sales. Blaming the show for not aligning their best assets to your best interests is just inconsiderate.
OrixMay 26, 2018 1:17 AM
May 26, 2018 4:44 PM

Oct 2007
Orix said:

No, I'm calling you out for your bullshit, you attempt to shut down the argument by saying we're wrong, that we watched it wrong and didn't understand it, or that we unfairly dropped it. You don't defend the show you just attack the detractors.

Dropping a show because it bores me is literally the main reason I drop shows, because why would I watch something boring? Why exactly, is that any weaker a reason for dropping it than anything else? it's not and you know it's not but you have no other argument left to defend your opinion on this show, so instead of bringing up a single valid argument in favor of it you choose to go after the person instead. [/quote]

Yep, dropped it because I got bored. No point in watching if it's not entertaining anymore.. better to just watch something else.
May 27, 2018 4:14 PM
Jan 2010
You can't bored out of an anime show if you know you won't get bored from a show you picked up.

That's why I only have exactly 7 dropped shows out of 400 total entries.
May 27, 2018 4:16 PM

Jul 2016
Izanagi said:
About that...

Thats not true. Anime like Sword Art Online, Overlord, and a bunch of other high fantasy types that primarily use swords are very popular in the west.
Aug 10, 2018 10:49 PM

Aug 2017
It's not popular like Darling in the FranXX but is a better show.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 20, 2018 7:51 AM
Feb 2016
Yeah totally agree i actualy enjoyed this show compared to ditf and sao its kind a fun to watch and cool cg animation sad its not popular
Aug 24, 2018 3:23 AM

Jan 2013
Bromit said:
Kenny_Stryker said:
Well, I'm enjoying it so far.

I've rated it 9/10.

I prefer it over guns and all that.

in mal we need to rate anime from 1-10. Not 7-10.

You might be surprised, but incredibly there are people that don't like all the things you like and don't dislike all the things you dislike.
Aug 12, 2020 2:10 AM
Apr 2018
because of its dogshit plotline
Aug 12, 2020 8:45 AM

Jun 2011
Must've left quite an impression for you to revive a thread from two years ago.
Sep 5, 2020 1:27 AM

Feb 2014
the premise turns off a lot of the general audience, and its further limited in other certain ways

Some people won't watch anime that doesn't have a male protagonist, because they feel they can't relate to a female protagonist.
It's not ecchi either, like senran kagura.
It's swordfighting but not a fantasy nor historical setting.
The designs aren't particularly special. School uniform girls with swords for the cover doesn't make it appear very unique among others. When this anime originally aired, I'd dismissed it after glancing at the cover.
It's not a specific niche like mecha, high fantasy or sci-fi.

ultimately, the audience of people that will find this anime and consider watching it is very small.
Mar 25, 2021 3:27 AM
Jan 2018
removed-user said:
About that...

I like good anime with swords, this aint one of em bro. This is a 3/10 for sure.

I love me some dororo and berserk, but I dont just like them cause they have swords. Thats one of the dumber things I've heard in my lifetime.
He died doing what he wanted, no matter what, right? I bet he was happy.

Good luck with berserk Kouji Mori, you'll need all the help you can get. We believe in you.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - May 4, 2018

25 by Foreall908 »»
Dec 8, 2023 12:32 PM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 18 Discussion

Stark700 - May 11, 2018

27 by Destroyer31 »»
Mar 28, 2023 12:16 AM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

17 by IAMQT »»
Oct 21, 2022 12:06 PM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 21 Discussion

Rob - Dec 29, 2018

2 by I-yas-yes »»
Jul 29, 2022 11:09 AM

Poll: » Toji no Miko Episode 23 Discussion

Rob - Dec 30, 2018

1 by Serafos »»
Jul 24, 2021 8:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.