Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 3, 2018 9:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Mm, nice to see Joe keeping up in shape. Training is important especially for a fighter like him.

I mean, Joe has a lot of potential and I want to see him climb the rankings. He isn't afraid to take risks either or back down from a challenge. The fight itself this episode is still intense although I wish it was longer.

Joe got pushed into the corner and got his face punched in. Jesus Christ, that looked painful.
May 3, 2018 10:24 AM
Jun 2015
My God can this series get any better? Each episode is sooo engaging.
May 3, 2018 11:37 AM

Dec 2015
With the exception of the first episode, this is definitely the best episode of the series. They improved even more the plot, and give us a lot of backstory for some characters
May 3, 2018 11:37 AM

Mar 2018
I thought this anime wouldn't be that strong in the story departement, but this episode proved me wrong.

Also NO NOT ANOTHER CLIFFHANGER
May 3, 2018 11:47 AM

Jan 2017
The count lasted to 9 seconds, will he stand up in time?
Karasuno Fight!!!
May 3, 2018 11:59 AM

Jul 2017
Story aspect definitely improved now. That was fucking awesome to witness.

Also like the training shit done before the match.
May 3, 2018 12:11 PM

Feb 2018
Isn't I the a little unfair that his opponent is pretty much a cyborg? How is this even allowed ?
May 3, 2018 12:15 PM

Jul 2017
One of the best episodes so far. I’m glad we got some insight into Aragaki & the coaches past. It’s made me want to root for him
May 3, 2018 12:22 PM

Nov 2016
The intense moments in the episode were amazing. Aragaki had some suffering times. The butterfly scene was beautiful.

Joe trying to improve his boxing but the coach knowing the strength of Aragaki, knows that isn't ebough. This match is the closure of a chapter for both Coach and his old student. The music used was impactful.

The fight began, and Joe is already down. That punch looked scary. He have a really strong punch.
NoloranMay 3, 2018 12:45 PM
May 3, 2018 12:26 PM
Dec 2015
so he just got destroyed at the end. i could see this fight being lost but not very easily. popularity and expierence will be gained
May 3, 2018 12:40 PM
Nov 2017
xShinigami3125 said:
Isn't I the a little unfair that his opponent is pretty much a cyborg? How is this even allowed ?

His legs are definitely a disadvantage, he's not gaining anything from those.
May 3, 2018 12:46 PM

Nov 2016
They did a good job at fleshing out Aragakis character,it's making the stakes higher and the fight feels more intense than the previous ones.

I dunno if this was already shown and I can't be bothered to confirm,but Joe is apparently 22.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 3, 2018 12:52 PM

Feb 2018
NoDakSmack said:
xShinigami3125 said:

Why would his legs be a disadvantage? I mean he is most likely faster and has a much more stable stance because of them. I mean given that their technology is far more advanced then ours those legs should be far superior to normal legs.
May 3, 2018 1:01 PM

Aug 2014
fukkkkkk

this is so damn good, surprising me every week
May 3, 2018 1:02 PM

Dec 2016
Agerno said:
The count lasted to 9 seconds, will he stand up in time?

The probability is very high. Personally, I hope he doesn't to emphasize the difference in high ranking boxers and the importance of using a gear. Hopefully, he gets his gear from the sponsors.
May 3, 2018 1:05 PM

Sep 2017
Another excellent episode.

Not only were we able to see a rival with a developed backstory and motivations, all Hajime no Ippo style, but Nambu also got a lot of development. Now we know how he ended up rigging matches: it was because he couldn't stand keeping his gym open when his best student died.

Can't wait untill next week.

May 3, 2018 1:06 PM

Sep 2017
xShinigami3125 said:
NoDakSmack said:

Why would his legs be a disadvantage? I mean he is most likely faster and has a much more stable stance because of them. I mean given that their technology is far more advanced then ours those legs should be far superior to normal legs.

Except for the fact that he mentions that the veterans need more money. This likely includes him, and in that case those prosthetic legs can't be anything fancy because he couldn't have paid for anything too good or designed specifically to improve his Megaloboxing.
May 3, 2018 1:09 PM

Feb 2017

That's what i call real boxing :3

May 3, 2018 1:16 PM

Dec 2016
Backstories were done very well fleshing out Nanbu's and Aragaki's past. Aragaki seem's like a humble man but can be jealous(Kinda had valid reason) and resentful blaming Nanbu for his injuriers that he suffered in the war just because Nanbu didn't look for him for him harder. I understand that after Nanbu closed down his Gym Aragaki had no where to go which led him on the verge of suicide.
May 3, 2018 1:24 PM

Feb 2018
miguitronik said:
xShinigami3125 said:

Except for the fact that he mentions that the veterans need more money. This likely includes him, and in that case those prosthetic legs can't be anything fancy because he couldn't have paid for anything too good or designed specifically to improve his Megaloboxing.

Yea I knew but still even the cheapest gear they use for megaloblxing is makes you much stronger and faster so even the chap garbage should still be better then actual legs.
May 3, 2018 1:32 PM

Jan 2009
nice backstory there, i doubt Joe will lose that easily though
May 3, 2018 1:36 PM

Jul 2015
Violet Evergarden's war PTSD got put into shame with a single Megalo Box episode, man that was fucking great.
May 3, 2018 1:42 PM

May 2014
This anime looks pretty ugly, too much quality. I hate the static scenes before the blows they look like drunks holding on to pee. But I love everything else .

JuanMTMay 3, 2018 1:53 PM
May 3, 2018 1:47 PM

May 2015
I liked this episode entirely dedicated to Aragaki. The trauma of Aragaki is well staged and it also allows to further develop the character Nanbu that I really like, he steals the show from JD at times. Aragaki is really an interesting character and I hope that the fight against Joe will be exciting, it will be a more psychological than physical confrontation, I expect a lot to see the reactions of Nanbu during this fight, it will be interesting. Aragaki versus Joe, the past versus the future. Who will win ?
May 3, 2018 1:49 PM

Jun 2013
the show is pretty impresing but still not at rocky level, there are not hits and they win mostly in a few punches with wrong angles
May 3, 2018 2:03 PM

Dec 2015
That shot of Joe flying in the air, fucking awesome!
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
May 3, 2018 2:10 PM

Jan 2009
JuanMT said:
This anime looks pretty ugly

its just lacking sakuga scenes a lot, must be budget issues lol but i heard on twitter that this anime have a very good production management like schedule though seeing that only few animators are needed in each episode (low number of animators is a sign that the production is not rush)
May 3, 2018 2:25 PM
Nov 2016
Man, it's difficult to root against Aragaki, I can kind of understand his motivations but I can't really blame Nanbu for all of this either. The emotional complexity is what makes this show good.

Fuck that cliffhanger ending goddamn it....
May 3, 2018 2:26 PM
May 2017
For a second in the beginning, I was wondering if we were getting Joe's backstory but I'm glad it turned out this way. The scene where Aragaki had that gun in his mouth was intense and the focus on him this episode assured me that we were going to get some depth from the opponents. The only dissapointing thing about this episode, and maybe the series right now for me , is the fights. They're so so short, and it feels like they end in one shot KOs. Maybe it's because I've watched Hajime no Ippo that I'm more aware of it, because Ippo would get up so many times during a fight lol. Then again, there is the whole robotic gear stuff that may cause the fights be more quick and brutal. I just hope it gets better next episode. It's also probably safe to assume they're saving budget for the big fights, so I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed.
May 3, 2018 2:30 PM

Dec 2017
the backstory was pretty cool, even without much action still holds some emotional impact, but the fighting animation this episode was really bad
May 3, 2018 2:49 PM

Apr 2018
I feel like Aragaki is just taking out his frustration on Nanbu and blaming him for everything, which isn't fair and nor is it the correct way to deal with his emotions. My boi Joe is definitely gonna win this one and show Aragaki the error of his ways. I'm willing to bet that it's gonna be one of those things where halfway through the match Nanbu finally decides to support the kid and wholeheartedly believe in him and then he's gonna turn it around somehow or something along those lines. Plot seems a bit predictable at this point, but I'm still enjoying it.
May 3, 2018 2:58 PM
Jul 2018
It was pretty interesting the way backstories have been presented. That was very misfortunate and I can feel it why he abandoned him.. And speaking of the battle, from the very first round Joe got destroyed.. :o this is really going to be an intense battle!
May 3, 2018 3:18 PM

Apr 2016
Not bad. We get some heavy backstory. Next episode should be fun.
[
May 3, 2018 3:24 PM

Sep 2011
Another superb episode! Aragaki and Nanbu's shared past was more and better than what I was hoping for. After going through hell and losing his promised home Aragaki fell into despair to the point of almost committing suicide. It was heavy, his crying was so bitter.

We also got our Gearless Joe bonding with one of his fellow rivals before the match just like Yabuki Joe would, it wasn't on the best terms and I don't know what will come out of this, but it was great. Can't wait for the next episode! I'm so glad to see it going beyond boxing!
FayrinMay 4, 2018 2:35 AM
May 3, 2018 3:49 PM

Nov 2014
i think this might be a foreshadow because they have the same haircut as the two boxers and the one in the afro makes the shot
May 3, 2018 5:07 PM
Oct 2016
Right so he's kinda like Kim Yong-bi from Ashita no Joe except with a more intense depiction of PTSD including a suicide attempt that was quite shocking, and his connection to Nanbu was expanded on very well, they've packed a lot of detail into this one ep and it paid off very well. Opening it with a scene of war was an excellent way to set the mood and really separates it from the previous episodes. I love how they're playing with gritty sci-fi concepts and can't wait to see more, they're taking plenty of inspiration from other sources just like Osamu Dezaki did when he created the original AnJ and I hope they go completely nuts with things like the vague implications that Yuri might be genetically engineered or possibly a cyborg.
May 3, 2018 6:34 PM

Dec 2012
xShinigami3125 said:
miguitronik said:

Yea I knew but still even the cheapest gear they use for megaloblxing is makes you much stronger and faster so even the chap garbage should still be better then actual legs.

There is no way that gear is better than real legs. The gear in the arms does make you stronger and faster, but the difference is that you need actual arms in order for it to work. He doesn't have legs. So the prosthetics must be a disadvantage since the movement won't be as accurate. Nanbu also mentions how he must have trained a lot to compensate for the handicap his legs must give him.
May 3, 2018 6:36 PM

Dec 2015
Joe’s to cocky this time , thats all in gonna say
May 3, 2018 6:48 PM

Jan 2011
this was a pretty important episode showcasing the other opponents as people with their own motivates and fleshing them out so you actually care about them, they did a good job with Aragaki being a war vet and having ties to Nanbu his clear faults were already stated by his coach but i can't let it go with him trying to unleash his anger on joe to spite Nanbu.

animation was rougher than usual bummer still great nonetheless hoping future opponents are written in similar fashion
May 3, 2018 8:31 PM

Jun 2015
This was quite the heavy episode. In the beginning, I thought I was watching something else. Got some backstory for Nanbu and his former student. I feel a bit sorry for Aragaki. Joe just simply got knocked out by him. What a cliffhanger.
May 3, 2018 8:49 PM

Nov 2013
xShinigami3125 said:
miguitronik said:

You could rewatch this episode again to check. Nanbu himself said that the legs are disadvantage. That's why Aragaki used light weight arm gear so he could keep up his speed with his disadvantage legs (you could see that Joe could block his punches fine because of the light weight gear).
May 3, 2018 10:24 PM

Feb 2018
jejehartadi said:
xShinigami3125 said:

You could rewatch this episode again to check. Nanbu himself said that the legs are disadvantage. That's why Aragaki used light weight arm gear so he could keep up his speed with his disadvantage legs (you could see that Joe could block his punches fine because of the light weight gear).

Hm Okey i guess i missed that I thought these legs were as op as the gear.
May 3, 2018 10:26 PM

Feb 2018
Albi-kun said:
xShinigami3125 said:

There is no way that gear is better than real legs. The gear in the arms does make you stronger and faster, but the difference is that you need actual arms in order for it to work. He doesn't have legs. So the prosthetics must be a disadvantage since the movement won't be as accurate. Nanbu also mentions how he must have trained a lot to compensate for the handicap his legs must give him.

Okey I guess I missed that I just thought the legs were as powerful as the gear.
May 3, 2018 11:20 PM
✿。

Apr 2012
The beginning confused me, I really thought I was watching a different anime.

This episode was quiet heavy & we got some backstory which is always nice as it adds development to the characters.

I do sympathize with Aragaki seeing as how he thought he lost everything in the war & Nabu was his only hope only to see that he also got abandoned by him which probably lead Aragaki to feel like all what he had left is despair, but blaming Nabu isn’t the best choice either.
Aragaki was reported to be dead and I’m sure Nabu himself had a hard time accepting his death, but at some point he just had to move on.

On the other hand, I wonder if Joe will win this time! I won’t be surprised if he loses tho.

Damn another cliffhanger! Can’t wait for the next episode ~~

:: Sʏᴍᴘʜᴏɴɪᴀ

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On jupiter and mars

☆ ★ ☆ ★
May 4, 2018 12:51 AM

May 2016
What a great episode, I don't blame Aragaki for hating Nanbu, and it really brings much hype to the match, the pacing so far is perfect we can get a good finale with this. 5/5
May 4, 2018 1:09 AM

Jul 2015
Aragaki's back story was really sad.Though i wonder did not they have psychologists to counsel all soldiers suffering from PTSD.

The cliffhanger is really making me wonder what will happen.

Great episode once again.

May 4, 2018 2:49 AM
Sep 2015
Oh no such a drama, I love it but I hate it at the same time, I love when my emotions are completely messed easily by this episode but I hate that such lovable characters don't deserve such a sad fate, war is bad, and boxing itself is a dangerous sport
May 4, 2018 3:00 AM
Mar 2018
Best episode so far, this is just going amazing and more amazing.
May 4, 2018 4:01 AM

Oct 2015
there is chance he would lose and this guy would be the last guy to fight at the end of season before entering megalonia..
May 4, 2018 5:39 AM

Jul 2016
Hopefully loses and then starts using gear.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

73 by Meritas »»
Mar 15, 6:46 AM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 12 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

24 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 2:19 PM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 11 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

24 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 10 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

21 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 8:04 AM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 9 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

28 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 7:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.