Forum Settings
Forums

Do you refer to anime's by their English name or Japanese name?

New
Do you refer to anime's by their English name or Japanese name?
Apr 6, 2018 2:48 PM

Apr 2018
This just randomly popped in my head so yeah.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 6, 2018 2:49 PM

Mar 2016
I'm not a native english speaker, so i don't really care about english name.
Apr 6, 2018 2:51 PM

May 2015
Depends which one sounds cooler tbh

Dec 2017
Where's the both option at though?

It depends on which is easier to say/type.

Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Apr 2015
Japanese because looking it up online is generally easier that way.

Dec 2016
I've never talked about "Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi" or "Howl no Ugoku Shiro" , obviously, always about "Spirited Away" and "Howl's Moving Castle", among other titles, if I talk about something with JP names is mostly because the English name doesn't exist yet.
Apr 6, 2018 2:52 PM

Feb 2016
I prefer the Engrish names.
Gosick.
Apr 6, 2018 2:52 PM
Dec 2010
It sort of depends which one sounds better to me, so it fluctuates back and forth every once in awhile.
Apr 6, 2018 2:54 PM

Jul 2017
whatever one sounds better i guess.
Apr 6, 2018 2:56 PM

Jul 2010
I usually just stick with the English name, but there's a few exceptions. I'll always refer to Higurashi as such rather than When They Cry.
Apr 6, 2018 2:56 PM

Dec 2017
I remember Japanese names easier. (lol) but some anime don't have Japanese names sooo
Apr 6, 2018 2:58 PM

May 2009
Generally, by their English name, since I speak English but not Japanese. The Japanese names are usually harder to remember, and the English names are more meaningful by virtue of the fact that I know what they mean.

I do recognize many of the Japanese names just from talking with people on the internet about anime, and the fact that MAL uses them (incidentally, one cool thing about Hummingbird was that I could choose to have the names default to English, or a mix, or Japanese).

But, let's be honest, who even uses the following names, aside from the Japanese?

* Atelier Petros Joukuu Gekijou: Sentaku Shima no Sentaku Tori (hint: NOT related to the Atelier games, which have their own anime series)
* Azumanga Daioh: Gekijou Tanpen
* Doubutsu no Mori
* Escha & Logy no Atelier: Tasogare no Sora no Renkinjutsushi (though at least you can make sense of this one)
* Jikuu Bouken Nuumamonjaa
* Ookami to Koushinryou
* Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi
* Tsumiki no Ie
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 6, 2018 2:59 PM
Jul 2018
If I can remember the Japanese name, I'll use that. But I often can't, so I just use the English one instead.
Apr 6, 2018 3:02 PM

Jun 2017
I try to use the English one cause i'm not a weeb but occasionally i'll slip and use the Japanese one.
I'm a shitposter for fun
Apr 6, 2018 3:11 PM

Jul 2016
I like to pick whichever one sounds more natural to say, like My Hero Academia sounds better than Boku no Hero Academia but Kara no Kyoukai sounds better than Garden of Sinners.
Most of the time I'll use abbreviations anyway, like HeroAca
Apr 6, 2018 3:13 PM

Sep 2017
Japanese, because they're always written in that language on my streaming websites. I don't even know the English name of most anime I watch.
Apr 6, 2018 3:13 PM

Nov 2016
Normally I go with the japanese names but if I cant say or the name is too big I use in english.
Apr 6, 2018 3:16 PM

Jun 2014
It depends tbh. I'll usually refer to Boku no Hero Academia as simply Boku no Hero, but I'll refer to Ao no Exorcist as Blue Exorcist. Then there's Attack on Titan, where sometimes I'll call it that, or sometimes I'll simply say Shingeki. So yeah, it depends on what flows more naturally to me.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 6, 2018 3:17 PM

Apr 2016
I use a mixture of both, since I have no option to vote for that I won't vote at all.
Apr 6, 2018 3:19 PM

Jul 2017
Depends what rolls off the tongue better so to say

Like if I'm talking about Food Wars, I'd more likely use the Japanese name whereas something like Attack on Titan, I'd more likely use the English name
Apr 6, 2018 3:19 PM

Sep 2014
Whichever one flows better, like how everyone calls it Yuru Camp instead of Laid-Back Camp.

Mostly just preference really.
Apr 6, 2018 3:27 PM

Feb 2018
Usually the English one but it really depends wich one is easyer to remember I mean just take Watamote for example remembering the Japanese title of that show is practically impossible
Apr 6, 2018 3:29 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
I chose Japanese, because I don't live in an English speaking country, so it doesn't really matter to me. BUT! It's usually what I get used to more at first. For example, I can't think Fullmetal Alchemist in Japanese. Though, those "exceptions" are probably only older titles that had already an impact with the English name more.
Apr 6, 2018 3:30 PM

Feb 2016
Whichever I happen to remember.

Typically, English.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Apr 6, 2018 3:30 PM

Sep 2017
japanese names usually, unless it's evangelion or fma or smth like that.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Apr 6, 2018 3:40 PM

Aug 2015
Whatever is shorter or easier to pronounce
Apr 6, 2018 3:41 PM

May 2016
I'll only use the English name if the Japanese one is so utterly obscure, nobody would know what I'm talking about (like Spirited Away).

And I do enjoy learning full Japanese titles, if only to pronounce them correctly once, before forgetting them forever, like Watamote, or every horrible LN show ever.
Apr 6, 2018 3:52 PM

May 2009
rvbrick said:
Ashita no Joe is literally "Tomorrow's Joe"
That sounds amusingly like you're referring to the coffee you're drinking tomorrow, haha.

rvbrick said:
In the case of anime where the English title is different I just go with whatever's more "iconic". This mainly applies to EVA (Neon Genesis Evangelion doesn't mean the same thing as Shinseiki Evangelion) and all the Ghibli movies.
Not to mention that Neon Genesis Evangelion is actually Greek, and Puella Magi Madoka Magica is Latin. (I use neither "Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica" nor "Magical Girl Madoka Magica". On the other hand I use "Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha".)

Also I should add that, despite preferring English names, sometimes I just disagree with the English name.

For example:

* Rinne no Lagrange / Lagrange: the Flower of Rin-ne / Lag-Rin

A more proper translation would be "Lagrange of Reincarnation" or "Lagrange of Samsara", and insert "a" and "the" as you see fit (since articles aren't part of Japanese).

Neither name works very well. The distinctive part of this name is "Lagrange" (the way certain other shows are known in short form by "Arpeggio", "Evangelion", "Druaga", and so on, despite those words not necessarily being the first word of the title), and the English title puts "Lagrange" first, but also introduces the word "Flower" (which is an important element in-series, though not in the Japanese title), and also doesn't translate "Rinne" and even goes and rewrites it "Rin-ne" for some reason (if you know why, please tell me). Meanwhile, the show apparently is abbreviated as "Lag-Rin" by Japanese fans? Heck, the OP actually says that as its first words.

I usually just call the show "Lagrange" or "Lag-Rin". If I'm allowed to choose a name, I think the most appropriately poetic name might be "Lagrange: the Flower of Samsara" or "Lagrange: the Flower of Reincarnation".

* Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru / Yuki Yuna is a Hero / YuYuYu

Okay, so I disagree with this one's English title for a different reason. A couple reasons, actually.

1. The name explicitly mentions a character's name, in a grammatically sensible way. The character's surname is Yuuki, and her given name is Yuuna. The dub actually calls her "Yuuna Yuuki" (or arguably, "Yuna Yuki", though you can't distinguish this because it's not spelled out in romaji), which is standard English name order -- a practice widely used for Japanese names in English, concurrently with standard Japanese name order. (I personally don't feel strongly either way, and solved this problem in my music folder by simply putting "Surname, Givenname".) However, the English title, for some reason, still uses Japanese name order, which is inconsistent with the dub's name for the character.

2. Okay, so we're keeping Japanese name order for the English title, but...for some reason we're taking out the extra "u"s? Why? If you're going to stick with the Japanese name, at least keep a more proper romanization.

As a result, I usually call this series by its short name, "YuYuYu" (though I don't say "YuuYuuYuu", which I think some people use). Incidentally this name doesn't apply to its sequels/prequels/spinoffs/etc. because they all follow the name format "[character name] is a Hero" (or its Japanese equivalent), and the other character names don't start with the "yu" phoneme. But "YuYuYu" is certainly distinct enough to identify the franchise as a whole.

When I have to give a full name, I sorta alternate between "Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero" (thus preserving the proper romanization of the Japanese name) and "Yuuna Yuuki is a Hero" (thus using standard English name order, but keeping the "u"s because I don't see a problem with them).

Fortunately, I haven't yet run into anything yet whose name falls between "Yuki" and "Yuuna" alphabetically.

*insert Soulja Boy going YUUUUUUUUUUUUUU*
Apr 6, 2018 4:01 PM
Mar 2015
Depends on which name I like more and if they're easy to remember or not.

For example, Attack on Titan is a stupid title, so I prefer to use Shingeki no Kyojin. On the other hand, Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood sounds much nicer and cooler than Hagane no Renkinjutsushi,.
Apr 6, 2018 4:02 PM

Dec 2016
English because I can speak English and can't really speak Japanese. Because of that, Japanese titles are usually harder for me to remember.

What's the difference?
Apr 6, 2018 4:12 PM

Apr 2014
Depends on the name of the show, and what I'm used to.
Apr 6, 2018 4:14 PM

Mar 2014
Mostly Japanese but it depends on which name I'm used to
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 6, 2018 4:25 PM
Feb 2014
Mostly always Japanese with a few exceptions, such as Fullmetal Alchemist, since that's what i got used to and what i know it by.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Apr 6, 2018 4:26 PM

May 2009
Crosswastaken said:
For example, Attack on Titan is a stupid title, so I prefer to use Shingeki no Kyojin.
They should have just called it "Attack of the Titans".
GlennMagusHarveyApr 6, 2018 5:38 PM
Apr 6, 2018 4:31 PM

Nov 2016
Always the english name I find the Japanese names just don't stick in my memory very well.
“we all live with the objective of being happy, our lives are all different and yet the same.”
Apr 6, 2018 5:52 PM

Oct 2015
Pretty good question since I've been asked around and they don't know when I use the English one. I usually use the English title as much as possible, the thing I care is how to pronounce it.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Apr 6, 2018 6:04 PM

Nov 2011
whichever is shorter and more convenient.
sometimes i also shorten the title (example: gochiusa, kiniro) for convenience's sake.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Apr 6, 2018 6:18 PM

May 2009
DreamingBeats said:
whichever is shorter and more convenient.
sometimes i also shorten the title (example: gochiusa, kiniro) for convenience's sake.
Yeah, Japanese nicknames are generally relatively short and also easy to pronounce.

While "PMMM" is technically shorter than "MadoMagi", the latter rolls off the tongue more easily, and is clearer what it's referring to.

(I could call it "Madoka" except I know a certain Madoka Kyouno, so...)
GlennMagusHarveyApr 6, 2018 6:23 PM
Apr 6, 2018 7:43 PM

Oct 2017
Sometimes it's an abbreviation (AoT, MHA). Sometimes it's shortened (KonoSuba, Shokugeki). Sometimes it's Japanese (Kimi no Na wa., Mirai Nikki). And sometimes it's English (Blue Exorcist but I haven't watched it).
My Anime List < Have a good day! > My Manga List
Apr 6, 2018 7:47 PM

Mar 2015
I mostly refer to anime by their Japanese names, but sometimes I'll use the English names.
woah there
Apr 6, 2018 7:49 PM

Feb 2010
Whatever lends itself to a more useful abbreviation, I guess.
With a sidedish of 'whatever I got used to first'.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 6, 2018 7:56 PM

Feb 2016
Depends on what sounds better or what easier to remember.

“Erased” sounds better and is much easier to remember than “Boku Dake Ga Inai Machi”
Apr 6, 2018 8:01 PM

Dec 2017
depends on the anime lol ihatethe30
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Apr 6, 2018 8:05 PM
Sep 2017
If the anime has a long japanese name, then i will prefer the english one. But if its short or readable then Jap for sure.

Apr 6, 2018 8:18 PM
Jan 2017
It depends. If it's easier to pronounce, then it's Japanese. If not, English.
Apr 6, 2018 8:20 PM

Nov 2014
hate to be boring and typical but it really does depend on length and difficulty of the pronunciation of it.
Apr 6, 2018 8:21 PM

Nov 2016
Most of the Time I Use the Japanese names. I only use the english names is when the japanese ones are too long or harder to say.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2018 8:28 PM

Jul 2017
most of the time I stick with the English names, however there are a few animes where I would call it by its Japanese name instead, for example Shokugeki no Souma (Food Wars!)

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Apr 6, 2018 8:35 PM
Jul 2015
Well translated names are sometimes inaccurate and weird, like an recent example Ryuuou's Oshigoto being translated into The Ryuuou's Work Is Never Done, which i think failed to convey the original meaning of the Japanese name, so i usually use Japanese or roomaji names, but often people doesn't know the original Japanese names, so i use the English or Chinese names with my friends.
Apr 6, 2018 8:36 PM

Nov 2009
depends which version of the name I saw first
毎日, 日本語を勉強する
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Your favourite romance

Jackson_rajkumar - 7 hours ago

44 by Deknijff »»
1 minute ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates. ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

59 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Yesterday

70 by -Ryu »»
7 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 3 )

Catalano - Apr 25

127 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
9 minutes ago

» >>𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐩 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐚 𝐡𝐨𝐛𝐛𝐲 𝐭𝐨 𝐚𝐧 𝐨𝐛𝐬𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧.

Je-suis-lui - Yesterday

19 by Acctra »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.