Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 31, 2018 9:40 PM

Jul 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
THEY JUST AIRED FLCL ALTERNATIVE EPISODE 1 ON ADULT SWIM AS AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE
AHHHHHHHHHHH

Also tbh I thought the episode was pretty boring through most of it. It wasn't as "animated" as OG FLCL was, and it didn't get interesting until it started focusing on Haruko. Though once the enemy robot appeared, the animation got wild just like OG FLCL. Though I'm really just happy to see Haruko again. I enjoyed it overall!
Mar 31, 2018 9:41 PM
Feb 2017
I didn't see it cause I don't have cable but I'll give it a perfect for now.

I actually haven't finished the original FLCL. I'm on episode 4 I think.
Mar 31, 2018 9:42 PM

Jul 2012
SaltyStuff said:

I actually haven't finished the original FLCL. I'm on episode 4 I think.
Well, you only have two episodes left. Get crackin'!
Mar 31, 2018 9:53 PM

May 2009
SaltyStuff said:

That's an awful mentality.
Mar 31, 2018 10:12 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
It was..... OK.

To be frank, I wasn't very impressed. It just didn't feel like Fooly Cooly. It was bland and average in several places, not nearly enough weirdness in it. It was great to see Haruko again, and the pillows music was terrific.

However, I'm going to withhold my final judgement until I see the full series. But if this first episode is anything to go by, I'm pretty nervous.
Mar 31, 2018 10:13 PM

Apr 2015
SaltyStuff said:

You're going to do what now?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Mar 31, 2018 10:28 PM

Jan 2009
SaltyStuff said:

Something wrong with this logic.
Mar 31, 2018 10:49 PM

May 2016
In all honesty I was very disappointed. It so far has lacked any charm classic FLCL had. It wasn't funny, the art and animation were whatever, and the characters were not impressive at all (even Haruko felt off). I don't want to spoil myself with only the 1st ep since there is still room for growth, but things are not looking good, which sucks...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 1, 2018 12:08 AM

May 2015
Absolute mad men. I wonder if Imaishi or Yoshinari will contribute for one episode.
Apr 1, 2018 12:42 AM

Mar 2013
I really enjoyed it! Makes me more excited for June (and September)!

Also, was that an adult Naota??
Apr 1, 2018 12:52 AM
Jul 2017
I also really liked this ep, just found it fun to watch in general. Different from og flcl, but i find that's because og flcl was trying to capture the image of youth at that time period, and this is capturing the image of today's youth, which I found was done decently well.

also the ed makes me want to nut
Apr 1, 2018 12:58 AM
Jan 2017
where can i watch it!!!!!!
Apr 1, 2018 1:14 AM

Mar 2014
Fantastic. April Fool's is slowly becoming one of my favorite holidays of the year for stuff like this. Even though I saw it only in subs, it was AWESOME. Had so many nostalgic vibes from the first series, but still did it's own thing with this one (that Maps pin gag was so random and perfect lmao)

Haruko's new look is fun, and I can't wait to watch this again in the dub I know and love.
Apr 1, 2018 2:56 AM

Feb 2017
Didn't expect this!
I really enjoyed it. Feels bit different from the original FLCL but also familiar, which is a good thing imo. It was so great to hear Haruko again and Pillows are rocking again. Looking forward to the rest in July and September.

hawk222 said:
I really enjoyed it! Makes me more excited for June (and September)!

Also, was that an adult Naota??

Possibly
This girl's dad may also be Naota. Her father is the only member of her familiy that we couldn't see face of. Also, her brother looks kinda like Naota.
TsarkoApr 1, 2018 3:02 AM
Apr 1, 2018 2:58 AM

Feb 2013
Maybe I will give it more than 1/10 now, I doubt it though if it's similar to the first season.
Apr 1, 2018 3:57 AM
Oct 2017
Just watched the first episode (without watching the original FLCL, but I will watch it) and I gotta say, I loved it. Heard from a lot of comments that it was disappointing or was making them nervous, but for someone who hasn't been exposed to the original, it surprisingly looks fun and exciting. Can't wait for the new seasons!

Also, there's a manga?
Pretty smart.
Apr 1, 2018 4:07 AM

Apr 2016
Whats the point to watch this if the S2 is not even out yet ?

Its not like it will be better than the original also.

Ulquiorra said:
Maybe I will give it more than 1/10 now, I doubt it though if it's similar to the first season.

Hardly it will be something different than just a cash grab.
Apr 1, 2018 4:20 AM

Sep 2013
Swagernator said:

Mhhh... I don't know. Maybe for fun?
Apr 1, 2018 4:53 AM
Dec 2017
It doesn't look bad, the animation is on point and there's The Pillows. Less GAINAX-classic fanservice, though.
It seems it'll be about growing up again (which is fine, it's FLCL alright) - the protagonists will probably be dragged into wacky battles with some space entities.
I have some hope.
dekigokoroApr 1, 2018 9:53 AM
Apr 1, 2018 5:05 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Not as balls-out-comedy and wack as the original but the feeling of FLCL is there (The Pillows are helping tremendously).
Apr 1, 2018 7:19 AM

May 2017
As a fan of the original FLCL, that episode certainly left me...whelmed. Like K-On with blander directing and a few FLCL-ish things inserted in.

5/10 so far, not bad but not really good either. Hopefully the other episodes are better.
Apr 1, 2018 9:11 AM

Sep 2011
Oooooh man am I glad I had my DVR set for Jojo's.

I had been worried about whether new seasons could possibly live up to the original. After this, I'm not worried anymore. This is going to be a fun ride, new in some ways and familiar in others, and I can't wait for the full release.
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Apr 1, 2018 10:23 AM

Mar 2013
MistLiigh said:

I had been worried about whether new seasons could possibly live up to the original. After this, I'm not worried anymore. This is going to be a fun ride, new in some ways and familiar in others, and I can't wait for the full release.

If your DVR didn't tape the Jojo that aired a few hours later, I believe someone on Reddit said you can watch it on the Toonami website.
Apr 1, 2018 11:03 AM

Jul 2012
Swagernator said:
Alternative and Progressive appear to be their own independent stories. You don't need to see Progressive first to watch Alternative.
Apr 1, 2018 11:33 AM

Oct 2017
God this was Awful, 13 minutes of generic SOL that develops absolutely nothing, to then bring a shitty action scene that ins't remotely as energetic as the original FLCL, not even the Pillows OST saved this.

I hope the next episodes do a better job.
Apr 1, 2018 12:10 PM

Jul 2017
I didn't like the original FLCL that much, but I absolutely adored its awesome artstyle and soundtrack.

Well, this version felt like the same FLCL except with an artstyle that doesn't fit this show at all.

Not a good episode for me since the artstyle is not only weaker but the story was boring and I couldn't give a crap about what happened.

Soundtrack still rules tho.

Apr 1, 2018 12:14 PM
Mar 2009
I'm not a big fan of SoL, but unlike many here I definitely see the potential. There wasn't a lot inherently impressive about this episode by itself but I saw a LOT of room to grow and things that are going to be relevant later. I think some people need to approach it with an open mind. It's not going to be as frenetic and random as FLCL, but then again those of us who grew up with it right at the right time are now somewhere around 30 so...

If it stays just K-on with touches of FLCL throwbacks it will be mediocre and a disappointment, but I don't think that's where this is headed unless they made a terrible mistake.
Apr 1, 2018 2:35 PM

Dec 2014
Holy crap It's literally a worse K-ON in every way.

What bothers me the most is that it screws up what the original FLCL did in 40 seconds. We don't need 16 minutes of the most boring slice of life imaginable to establish the setting with absolutely nothing happening.

On the brightside though the End of Evangelion nod was kind of neat with that thing they were fighting in the end. It even had those glowing 4 eyes like Unit-02. Also the Pillows OST is carrying this show hard.
GoldenLink64Apr 1, 2018 2:40 PM
Apr 1, 2018 2:56 PM
Feb 2016
Looks good, sounds good, ED's nice, Haruko's great

But it's overall kind of shit and painfully average in terms of FLCL-esque plot and charm (so far)

Still looking forward to the rest though and I'm more excited for Prog.
Apr 1, 2018 5:25 PM

Dec 2015
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

E: Oh my fucking GOSH, I am so fucking happy right now - literally about to explode after watching it!!!

Catchy guitar cords, adolescent/coming of age tropes, Haruharu's randomness all oozed FLCL/late 1990s vibes.

Compared to the original FLCL, this was certainly more upbeat and laid back which imo reflects today's society as compared to what it was like 20 odd years ago. You can clearly see this through comparing the MCs and side characters. While I feel Naota and Mamimi were more interesting as characters, I can still vibe with these characters - not everyone had a shitty childhood.

Only problem now is the 2... month... wait.

I wonder how Progressive will go, perhaps Alternative runs parallel to it/acts as a backstory? NVM the black haired chicks aren't the same (Progressive's MC looks just like Kurokeno :O)
Prim3Apr 2, 2018 3:24 AM
~
Apr 1, 2018 5:59 PM

Aug 2008
I wasn't sure what I was expecting from the comments here and elsewhere but it certainly wasn't "worse K-ON".

I loved it, personally. It started a little slow and I know for some that isn't what FLCL is about but this isn't season 1, and they certainly nailed the fight choreography and the mood, and The Pillows ain't slouching it either. This could have been a lot worse, like super dropped ball worse, but after 15 years for me it felt like it knew what to say.

But that's my opinion of course. I am sure we'll get the thinkpiece posts about how the original FLCL has been reduced to generic anime tropes and all will be balanced.

Can't wait for June, glad I got to see this early.
Apr 1, 2018 6:34 PM

Apr 2012
With such big shoes to fill, It wasn't surprising that this does not match the awesomeness that is FLCL.

Standing on it's own two feet however, the episode was nice. very relaxing and comfy. Was genuinely sad when the girls' super bottle rocket was destroyed by the pin. All the characters were good so far and they all have heart.
Apr 1, 2018 7:46 PM

Sep 2010
PepperedHam said:
I wasn't sure what I was expecting from the comments here and elsewhere but it certainly wasn't "worse K-ON".

Yeah and calling it that is a disservice to K-On

Anyways, I feel this tried to do what the original did while also doing its own thing while also missing what made the original so great. I think this one needs a little more time to digest but with what have now it's just painfully okay.
Now, count up your sins!
Apr 1, 2018 8:26 PM
Jul 2017
Charming, sweet, funny. Thought it was a fun ride for sure and a couple of the lines about growing up and nostalgia of childhood days were pretty hard hitting. Pillows was sublime, as is to be expected.

But ultimately I gotta agree with the majority opinion, which seems to be that it didn't feel "right". I guess I watched it with the expectation that it would BE the original FLCL or even somehow TOP it. Idk. Seems to me like a good, fun watch....but not THE Fooly Cooly. A good show, but not a great *FLCL* show.
Apr 1, 2018 8:29 PM

Jul 2016
I liked all the yuri undertones. I hope the show continues to amp up the yuri as it progresses.
Apr 1, 2018 8:33 PM

Sep 2014
Thought it was quite fun. It had the SoL, it had the goofy, it had the sci-fi, it had the guitar.

I might like this alot.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Apr 1, 2018 9:03 PM

Dec 2014
I think my enjoyment of this ep was hampered by my expectations of something a lot more ADHD like the original, so it felt a little slow for me. If I hadn't watched the original, I probably would've liked this more as I would've thought "oh, it's a slice of life with great animation and non-memey characters" rather than "where my drugs at I need them this is slow".
I need sleep.
Apr 1, 2018 11:55 PM
Jan 2016
That's a solid first episode, but nothing special. There's nothing bad, it's just lack something special/outstanding.

spicychile said:
If I hadn't watched the original, I probably would've liked this more as I would've thought "oh, it's a slice of life with great animation and non-memey characters" rather than "where my drugs at I need them this is slow".

I only watched few minutes of the first one(basically I know almost nothing about it), but I still think this one is nothing special. It's simply a so-so episode.

qwertyMrJINX said:
I liked all the yuri undertones. I hope the show continues to amp up the yuri as it progresses.

Yuri undertone? What? Well, I guess you see what you want to see.
Apr 2, 2018 4:13 AM

Jul 2016
TheServant said:
qwertyMrJINX said:

Yuri undertone? What? Well, I guess you see what you want to see.
The girls cuddling up together, the up-skirt snap-shots, the fore-head lilly, getting "de-flowered" by Haruko. This episode was yuri as fuck~
Apr 2, 2018 8:32 AM

Sep 2011
hawk222 said:
MistLiigh said:

If your DVR didn't tape the Jojo that aired a few hours later, I believe someone on Reddit said you can watch it on the Toonami website.

Oh crap, thanks dude! I didn't even know they'd aired it later, I would have been so confused next week if they just kept going O-o I'll have to check Gundam IBO and Hunter x Hunter too...
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Apr 2, 2018 9:47 AM

Jan 2010
It's pretty decent, not that different from the old FLCL - the SOL parts that I liked and the nonsense action parts that I didn't find that interesting.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Apr 2, 2018 10:09 AM

Apr 2015
I actually thought it was okay, I will just wait and see. As a standalone I guess it was good but in comparison to the original, it had more charm.( The original I mean)
Apr 2, 2018 10:24 AM
Jan 2016
qwertyMrJINX said:
The girls cuddling up together, the up-skirt snap-shots, the fore-head lilly, getting "de-flowered" by Haruko. This episode was yuri as fuck~

I see. Good for you.
Apr 2, 2018 1:05 PM
Apr 2013
It was pretty uninspiring, even if I had very little hope. They somehow even managed to make Pillows' soundtrack washed out. =\
Apr 2, 2018 5:23 PM

Aug 2012
I liked it. I mean I didn't like the original, mainly because I didn't understand it the first time and I didn't really like Naota that much.
But I did acknowledge that the art and soundtrack and presentation was very unique and different and I was definitely interested in watching a sequel/reboot.
The art is not FLCL-ish, but honestly it didn't bother me that much.
Haruko is still a great character and I look forward to seeing this and Progressive.
Apr 3, 2018 2:57 AM
May 2016
I'll admit, I'm definitely not looking too forward to it. I feel as though it's missing the original charm, and it'll be impossible to do anything but compare it to the original FLCL, at which it doesn't stand a chance.
Apr 3, 2018 8:27 AM

Feb 2016
It was a good episode for me, maybe not everyone liked that SoL introduction, but I think the message of this first episode was kinda clearer than the Original FLCL.

I wonder if this as a "Unofficial" Aprils Fools release means that we might get a more polished work when it officially airs.

The ending was great tho. Can't wait for Progressive in June
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 3, 2018 8:32 AM
Jul 2018
So, this FLCL sequel will be in the point of view of the female puberty/adolescence. I will not criticize this first episode so much because it's only the first, so I'll wait.

I liked the aesthetics art and things like this:

Apr 3, 2018 8:36 AM
Apr 2017
Yosh!!! Great start, i enjoyed every bit of it.....
Apr 4, 2018 5:54 AM

Jul 2017
Other than the music (the Pillows are always amazing), I thought the episode was just average. The animation wasn't varied enough for me, and neither was the symbolic imagery. Haruko also just didn't seem to do enough, and lacked the same bombastic energy she had in the original series (although I liked how she "deflowered" the main girl). The things I think I liked best were the callbacks to the original series, like how I'm almost 100% certain the man is Naota (and I liked how he still doesn't like spicy foods), and how "Never Knows Best" was written on the jenga block, just like how it was written on Mamimi's cigarette. Hopefully the sequels can recapture the vibe of the original series in the rest of their runs.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» The Show is Ruined Because of Haruko

GennosukeKouga - Jul 3, 2020

2 by fatbastard69 »»
Jun 12, 2022 2:26 PM

Poll: » FLCL Alternative Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Vysarine - Oct 13, 2018

57 by Wiziliz »»
Feb 13, 2022 12:41 AM

Poll: » FLCL Alternative Episode 5 Discussion

Vysarine - Oct 6, 2018

14 by St0rmblade »»
Mar 23, 2020 5:39 PM

Poll: » FLCL Alternative Episode 4 Discussion

Vysarine - Sep 29, 2018

16 by St0rmblade »»
Mar 23, 2020 4:52 PM

Poll: » FLCL Alternative Episode 3 Discussion

Vysarine - Sep 22, 2018

15 by St0rmblade »»
Mar 23, 2020 4:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.