Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 24, 2018 3:47 PM

Jan 2018
Zaldun said:
taskubanaani said:
i knew it would end in a wedding <3
the episode felt a little rushed so i'm guessing they only had a TL:DR version of the next few chapters. i can't wait to see how the manga will wrap up these (final?) arcs chapters.
i feel like this was left open for a future season, as these are still a few mysteries:
-what did ashen eyes want?
-where did chise's dad go?
-what is the "college" and what do they want?
-where did elias come from?

i hope this isn't the end but if it is it was a satisfying one

Here is my theory over your questions at least.
-Ashen eyes just wanted something fun, like when he turned Chize into a fox originally it seems he only came there at all for a bit of fun, since he is so powerful i'd imagine there would be something else for him to gain. And it seems that was his goal with joseph as well seeing how he called it boring once Joseph decided to just sleep.
-Chize's dad seems to have been threatened into leaving Chize as well as taking the boy along by that squirrel (forgot what it was) demon, and it was probably powerful enough that he wouldn't be able to best it in a 1 on 1 fight. And why they would want the male gone is since he was their protector, and the boy might grow up stronger than a female would thus wanting to remove any risks, and since both of the girls where sleigh beggy it wouldn't be unreasonable for someone to want to eat them or so on, since a demon seems to be what was making her mother choke her. (Since she was acting as she was but that is what i got from it anyhow.)
-The college is probably just a generic magical college where students can study magic safely under some knowledgeable teachers in a safe environment, while collecting data and research for the greater good of mankind or something along those lines. (As well as seemingly giving the students a chance (or forced) work there after they graduate probably.)
-And while we don't know where Elias came from since everyone calls him a failure i'd imagine some well known magician was making experiments like Joseph and made a crossbreed of an elf and something else and thus Elias came to being. And maybe he escaped thus losing his memories and not remembering anything (might even have been Joseph in an early stage who made him but who knows.) Thou other than that i have nothing i can really say about him, while most of this feels like good ideas i'm not sure about the Elias part at least.

That's what the College is SUPPOSED to be. However, it has been stated by Renfred already that things aren't going exactly rosy over there...

Anyways, seems we'll find out more soon in the manga. I honestly can't wait.
Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever
Mar 24, 2018 3:47 PM

Sep 2017
While I think that this series' atmosphere and setting is amazing, I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with this second half of the series. Chise is put in too many near death/dangerous situations only to be miraculously saved and without any real consequences for her actions (at least for now, let's see if that arm of hers does anything weird). Honestly, I think that she souldn't have been able to save Cartaphilus. Her being unable to save him would have been a good way to make her character grow, instead of using a dragon we barely knew anything about.

However, I will defend Elias' whole "You will be my bride" part of her character, since he really doesn't fully understand the implications of that statement. To him, getting married is a way to get someone who will always be there for him and to simply not be alone, but he doesn't understand the concept of love.

Overall, the series could have been better, but the setting, originality and short story arcs give it a lot of points, especially the Leanan Sidhe mini-arc (by far the best part of this series and a beautiful story).

7/10
Mar 24, 2018 4:15 PM

Jul 2017
MASTERCRAFT938 said:
One of my favorites manga ever. The anime was very good too. I hope they make a second season :S

Does the manga differ from the anime story or does it continue after the end described by the anime? Because the anime ending seemed kind of final. I obviously haven't read the manga that's why I'm asking this. :)
Mar 24, 2018 4:17 PM
Jul 2015
Hmm, this was quite an underwhelming ending. Not bad, but I was like 'that's it?'.
Mar 24, 2018 4:22 PM

Apr 2014
why did they change the OP animation for the last episode? why didn't they just choose that one from the start? it's so much better than the first version of the OP. or am i missing something

i'm also still confused about Joseph's motive, didn't he want to die? then why did he resist? i'm just confused about his whole situation in general. how are Chise's eyes and arm back to normal (well, it changed color but that's it) and yet Joseph is still inside her soul or something?

well overall this show was pretty interesting and i admire it for trying to do something new. there were a lot of things that irritated me though, like random comedic scenes that were completely out of place imo. and it was a bit too cheesy at times for my personal liking

i'm glad that her arm turned black, i hate when shows just pretend like the previous arc didn't happen and all injuries mysteriously heal. i do wish they kept her Joseph eye but i guess it would be too much of a permanent change

i don't think this show needs a second season but if they do make a second season i hope it'll be less cheesy and edgy. all the mental problems should be solved at this point, at least for the most part
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 24, 2018 4:31 PM

Sep 2015
I was pretty skeptical with this shows at the beginning because all the hype it got before it even start, but turns out that i have to give my arms to be twisted and admit it was one of the better shows of the season/year.

I really enjoyed the magic wolrd the author created. I think we could do a little more about this provisory (?) ending but i liked the awkward wedding. XD

Anyway, anyone knows if the manga will end or if the 'adverntures' will continue?

Mar 24, 2018 4:54 PM

Feb 2011
I honestly wouldn't even mind if this never got a continuation, i felt like the ending gave closure to the story quite well and it felt satisfying. I loved the world of Mahoutsukai no Yome but I still have some complains about it, like how sometimes it tends to become episodic and irrelevant, and how Chise needed help every arc, and how I couldn't really stand Elias at all. But despite all that it is still a solid 8/10.

BTW last time I checked the anime was really close to the manga so I wouldn't expect another season anytime soon. It's another case of Ballroom e Youkoso.
Mar 24, 2018 4:55 PM

Sep 2015
owlpoop said:
why did they change the OP animation for the last episode? why didn't they just choose that one from the start? it's so much better than the first version of the OP. or am i missing something

About the opening, the previous one works as a presentation of the show without spoiling (too much) what will happen. This new one is a big recap of the show i guess.
Mar 24, 2018 4:59 PM

Jan 2016
Great ending to a really good anime. I really wanted to give it 9/10 but somehow it lost some of the magic it had at the beginning, which was the thing that captivated me the most.

I have a sweet spot for rea haired anime character and Chise looked gorgeous in that dress. Welp, the good thing is that I can now just hop into the manga. The bad thing is that if this ever get's a sequel it will take at least 5 years. But I thought the ending was conclusive enough.

8/10
Mar 24, 2018 5:08 PM

Sep 2016
New OP confused for a moment but it was nice.

I started this pretty late (around January) but i started it nonetheless :)

What a ride it was. Solid ending IMO. Props to WIT Studio

9/10
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Mar 24, 2018 5:12 PM

Jul 2013
Congratulations Elias & Chise (though I would have have prefered for Elias to organize it) although, can we call that a wedding? 😂
Mar 24, 2018 5:23 PM

May 2015
A decent finale.

As for the show, overall pretty enjoyable, but I felt like the second half was weaker than the first half unfortunately. Nothing bad, but not as good.

7/10.

Mar 24, 2018 5:39 PM

Dec 2014
I liked the ovas but I found this show soooooo boring. Like, sooooooooooo boring. There were bits and pieces that I liked but most of it was sooooooooooooooooooooo boring. Yup, already forgot about it.

5/10
Mar 24, 2018 5:52 PM

Dec 2017
While the story and animation, in my opinion, were beautiful, I felt that the ending was a bit rushed. I am relatively happy with how it ended, though.
looking for something?

Mar 24, 2018 6:21 PM
Jan 2018
Estou triste e feliz. Os últimos episódios foram de muita agonia e apreensão, mas finalmente chegamos ao final. E que final! Foi especialmente maduro. E feliz, inclusive para o Joseph(pobrezinho ;-;). Chise estava maravilhosa usando o vestido de noiva. E a trilha sonora estava linda também.
Mar 24, 2018 7:42 PM

Mar 2011
Fuck, I cried.
I won't mind if the anime stayes like this. Obviously author will continue in the manga to answer us the questions like, what happened to Chise's father.
I won't mind if we get a new season in the future, or just OVAS closing the series.
9/10
Mar 24, 2018 7:55 PM
Jul 2016
skip11 said:
MASTERCRAFT938 said:
One of my favorites manga ever. The anime was very good too. I hope they make a second season :S

Does the manga differ from the anime story or does it continue after the end described by the anime? Because the anime ending seemed kind of final. I obviously haven't read the manga that's why I'm asking this. :)

The anime is beyond the manga by now and it sees to be the real ending.but still i recommend y'all reading it.
MASTERCRAFT938Mar 24, 2018 8:21 PM
Mar 24, 2018 7:59 PM
Jul 2016
skip11 said:
MASTERCRAFT938 said:

Actually the new Arc is gong to start this may :D
They might just adapt as a OVA :/

https://twitter.com/magus_bride/status/977138180032901122
MASTERCRAFT938Mar 24, 2018 8:25 PM
Mar 24, 2018 8:18 PM

Aug 2015
Second season I definitely had much less interest in for some reason

Didn't explain what Elias is, "go read the manga" I guess
Mar 24, 2018 8:48 PM
Aug 2014
best anime original ending ever or maybe the manga will have the same ending
Mar 24, 2018 8:54 PM
Mar 2017

Who else was glad that, they did not kill Cartafilo
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Mar 24, 2018 10:49 PM

Apr 2016
Love this series and specially its sound/music.
Hope we will get season 2 soon :)
BRAWLERS
Mar 24, 2018 10:57 PM
Jul 2018
Not bad ending since 2nd cour wasn't that good. But i really like Mahoutsukai no Yome soundtrack and it's world building. 9/10.
Mar 24, 2018 11:48 PM

Mar 2016
Not a fan of the ending or the timing of scenes that should have been longer in my opinion, but overall this first season wasn't bad. Beautiful in a lot places. Suspenseful in some and full of emotion in others. Pretty decent anime.
Mar 24, 2018 11:50 PM

Dec 2015
So if i got this right , cartaphillus moved to chise ? And joseph is normal human now?
And i can see angelica giving ring and i thought the big present would be the wedding dress but i didnt expect stella to give the dress
Mar 25, 2018 12:15 AM

Sep 2008
WELL....lame ending in my opinion.....but...the rest of the anime was too good, too "magical" to disregard such a journey that it's obvious is not over yet just because what clearly was the end of a novel or the anime planned ending, it was good, a good journey that i really hope they will continue someday
9/10 for me, not perfect but really nice trip with classical magical stuff, which who would have thought would be a fresh air in this world right now
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Mar 25, 2018 12:45 AM
Aug 2016
Funny they went through with the "bride" thing. Just those shoes and that dress together, lol.

Visuals and music were always enjoyable but I lost interest in the story along the way. I was actually counting down for it to be over...Danger never lasted long either which didn't help things for me.

Overall OK.
Mar 25, 2018 12:59 AM

Oct 2017
Really don't know what to think about this one. It has all the plot points/themes that I'm hopeless for, and I'm in the minority that really likes Chise as a character.
The really grating thing is that Chise never has to win her own fights. It cheapens all the dramatic moments, especially the show down with Joseph in this episode. The minute the bugs swarm her, I just know Elias will show up and save her. Really wish Chise was given the chance to prove herself once or twice. The pacing was also a bit off at some points. The final arc felt a bit rushed, whilst the first dozen episodes went by a bit too slow.
Fuck it, in the end its still a 8.5/10 from me. Really great show overall.

Also, why did the studio wait until this episode to have the better op sequence for the 2nd cour?
ayewMar 25, 2018 1:06 AM
“Truth is a lie grown old and beloved.” – Soninke saying
-
"For all the happiness you wish for someone, someone else gets cursed with equal misery." - Sayaka Miki
-
http://ayew.host

Mar 25, 2018 1:08 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The last scene, the air wedding with the rings was very romantic!!!!
Mar 25, 2018 1:13 AM

Jul 2015
Good episode.The ending was good.Still lot of things remains to be seen.What happened to Chise's brother and father.

I think this is Anime original ending,manga will follow different route.I will now pick up the manga now.As new arc beginning soon.

I loved the Marriage scene between Chise
& Elias.

Overall, 8/10 from me.

Mar 25, 2018 1:29 AM

Dec 2012
I really liked the ending song ahh

I enjoyed the show overall, it was interesting and different. I do hope for a second season, perhaps I'll pick up the manga. It doesn't feel like everything has been concluded, I'm still curious about some obvious things. Mainly watched it for the magic aspect of this show, I loved this fantasy atmosphere and this magical world being only a veil away, it made my senses tingle.

Chise's and Elias' relationship still feels weird to me, but good for them. I enjoyed the supporting characters the most, especially the Dragons/Nevil and their Caretaker.

Chise IS just a young human girl, who's been traumatized, I can't blame her for all her suicidal remarks and head in the ass behavior, I really wasn't sure how I was going to like the show in the beginning; I'm happy for Chise adapting & growing, making friends, doing her best, unknowingly guiding herself, finding her power, always wanting to help others, winning her inner battles and ultimately liberating herself!

8.5/10
SmortcholMar 25, 2018 1:38 AM
Mar 25, 2018 1:31 AM
christmas cake

May 2008
Ishikatsu said:
I originally wanted to give this 8/10, but after the last episode, I'm forced to give it 7/10. It had some pretty intense moments throughout and I mostly enjoyed it, but this episode felt terribly anticlimactic.

Yes, that's what I thought, too. I guess I should have expected it since it was going to be an anime-original ending but it just seemed like a rather abrupt conclusion.

I guess we'll see how it really goes in the manga.
Mar 25, 2018 2:20 AM

Dec 2016
An all and all pretty good show that had it's fair share of slow and annoying/repetitive moments. Still looking forward to a season 2 tho!!!!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Mar 25, 2018 2:40 AM
Jun 2017
Great episode for its final episode, that Chise (and gang) vs Catharphilus/ joseph. She even lullaby for him to be sleeping...

* And that last part where there is like Chise and Elias wedding like is nice. its a nice way to end the series...
Mar 25, 2018 2:57 AM

Sep 2016
mahoutsukai ends, it was a very awesome series from the visuals, fantasy, world building etc , 2nd cour dropped off a bit here and there with how they handled the danger aspect for chise but overall really enjoyed it thx wit for a great adaptation
Facta Non Verba
Mar 25, 2018 4:05 AM

Feb 2012
Not sure why I am bothering watching this until the end, oh well
Mar 25, 2018 5:16 AM

Mar 2015
After the credits rolled I went and grabbed a shot glass, poured the bourbon and toasted Elias and Chise. It just seemed the thing to do.
The sword that takes life gives life
Mar 25, 2018 5:31 AM

Jul 2013
I just notice after re-watching it again.

When Ariel came for Elias, it was at night. But when Elias came to Chise it was around the afternoon 😂

Anyone noticed this? hahahah
Mar 25, 2018 5:32 AM

Jul 2014
Eh, this finale was honestly pretty rushed and weak, and kinda a disappointing end to a pretty decent series, but one that was ultimately quite repetitive at times (not to mention how Chise could constantly sleep off otherwise fatal injuries).

8/10
Mar 25, 2018 6:11 AM

Dec 2015
I was expecting Chise to die at the end of this series. And this might sound a little morbid, but I'm kinda disappointed that she didn't die. But still, I'm perfectly satisfied with the ending we got, a decent end to a great series. Here's to hoping season 2 happens.

Edit: Did Ariel die when Elias ate her? I don't think they fully explained that.
Mar 25, 2018 6:11 AM

May 2012
The last 2 episodes were good, but overall this anime is overrated and many episodes were boring to watch. I can't believe it is rated that high. But it not so surprising when MAL users have shit taste (trash like Yuru Camp and Sora yori mo Tooi Basho are insanely overrated)

If they make 2nd season I will watch it, but I hope that it is better than this one
Mar 25, 2018 6:24 AM
Sep 2016
I didin't quite understood what the finale was about, why is caterphillus/joseph still alive,why chise's eye from cartaphillus magically dissapeared, and what Ashen Eye has do do with anything in the finale, i see no reason for him to be there.

The finale wasn't that exiciting and didin't create enough tension for me.

That end scene where chise was dressed as a was bride simultaneously cute and kinda disgusting, the relationship between chise and elias is to say the least, not healthy.

Overall, it was nice fantasy story with flashy visuals and somewhat interesting characters,
It was with all it's flaws still above average, and enjoyable for me.

7/10
Mar 25, 2018 6:31 AM

Dec 2015
@CodeBlazeFate So, is this TV show actually telling a story, or is it simply time passing watching an aquarium of fictional characters ?
(thanks in advance for your answer)
Mar 25, 2018 6:46 AM

Apr 2009
ahneeme said:
one day we might get a better show with a red haired girl
like Yona of the Dawn second season

THIS! I don't get the hype for this anime, the ending feels like a fanfiction, and serious issues in their relationships are resolved too easily. I've never liked their relationship and the direction it went, despite some arguing at the beginning that it's more a student-teacher relationship, but then we get Elias's jealousy which is just disturbing than romantic or funny to me, the "happy wedding" at the end without addressing the problems in this unhealthy relationship properly, which eventually did turn out to be a romantic one.
I thought the side characters, particularly the main villains, were interesting at the beginning and it was the main reason for me to continue watching but they also became bland characters.
shiroi-ookamiMar 25, 2018 6:52 AM
Mar 25, 2018 7:30 AM

Apr 2016
Rei366 said:
@CodeBlazeFate So, is this TV show actually telling a story, or is it simply time passing watching an aquarium of fictional characters ?
(thanks in advance for your answer)
It's telling a story about how Chise develops as a person, how Elias learns about people and ethics and whatnot, how he messes up due to not understanding his own emotions, and how their relationship develops over time, all of these being largely the testily of their misadventures with new people and reoccurring old foes. Plus, it does have a resolution to Chise's overall character arcs.
Mar 25, 2018 8:24 AM

Jul 2016
I now pronounce you, old, abomination and under-aged, redhead.

So we get to the finale, and OH BOY! We are in for some finale. First off, from what I've heard the mangaka, Kore Yamazaki came in, and since the last episode was where the manga actually left off, he came in and had a hand in writing this one. So we know its canon.
Fun fact: He also wrote Frau Faust, another interesting manga.

So here we are, Joseph vs. Chise, battle of the century. She charges and fails, only for him to trip her. Apparently, she and Ash has something in common right there. Next, Ashen Eye pops in and gives Joseph the upper hand and have him use Infestation. Apparently, Ashen Eye is Joseph stnad or something, judging from how he was standing right next to him. But Elias and Ruth butts in and spares Chise and the audience of centipede nightmares. The little pixie pops in and performs the fusion dance to become the Orb-piercer and chop off Ashen Eye's head off. This leaves Joseph prone and Chise used Sing, but it had no affect and he shanks her in the heart, like the Green Goblin told him to do. But then he realized that Chise used Simple beam, or popped his 'Chise' eyes out, and she sings him a lullaby and he cries himself to sleep. Just like all of us.
You know this ending reminds me of the ending from Trigun and Doomed Megalopolis, we have an immortal villain faced against a supernatural hero who is good at heart, and only the power of love and tenderness can save the day. Not many anime or manga go for this resolution, where the villain doesn't have to be killed for their to be a resolution. Maybe stopping them and making them understand is just enough.

Chise clocks out and finds herself sitting on Shinji's chair (No, I'm serious. That's the same chair from Neon Genesis Evangelion) where she finds Good Joseph and he tells her that he will 'exist' in her and counteract 'her dragon' to negate its effects and keep her alive and healthy. Look I know he meant that he's going to counteract the curse, but seriously, call it the draconian curse or something, not dragon!It's like saying turtle but you meant penis! Against all modern conventions and professional advice, she walks towards the light. Instead of finding herself in front of the pearly gates, she instead wakes up and immediately starts arguing with Elias over the whole Stella incident. OH, and Silky's back (Hooray!) Afterwards, Chise moves on with life, Joseph's their slumber buddy now, Ashen Eye gets bored and leaves, and everyone's happy. And then at the end, Chise calls Elias and he finds her in a wedding outfit made by Stella's grandmother, while her face is covered by a veil, made by Angelica. Here they might as well get married, since they have a witness, they say their vows and even say 'I do'. And that is where our story ends.

So, this was a good episode. No explosions, no motorbikes, and definitely no wildfires, but a conclusion nonetheless. And this is where I go over my final thoughts on this anime.

I'd give this anime a solid 9. The fantasy aspect was great, grounding it in the real world was clever and added more spice to the setting, and the characters were pretty interesting all things considered. There were times where the plot took a grinding halt and went nowhere, but it never felt pointless. All of it centers around a particular theme and keeps to it. The them being, Life and Death. I would ramble on about the theme, but I'd rather let you catch on to it first so that you could come to the conclusion yourself. After all, Art is supposed invoke a feeling in you or let you experience something, and wants you to draw your own conclusion. You will have those who will be against your views, but at the end of the day, it goes to show how you and your opponent love this work.

OH YEAH! I don't ramble on about the theme of this show, but I ramble on about Art instead. Just, WOW!
So, this was a good run, I started watching this series on a whim, and recommendations from various reviewers and ended on a high note. I wanted more of this, but all good things must come to an end. So to this I say, Ancient Magus Bride,

Farewell, you quirky couple you
ONWARDS! Away from homework and on to more anime!!!
Mar 25, 2018 8:26 AM

Feb 2014
Stella has some excellent taste. The dress she got for Chise looked really lovely on her. =3

It made the final scene between Chise and Elias really touching and happy. The resolution with Cartaphilus was a bit messy, although Elias' transformation with help from Ariel was sick and, for once, Ashen Eye got overwhelmed.

Overall, this show has been a blast. Although the second cour's quality went down a bit, it still remained fascinating, beautiful and most of the characters were really enjoyable.

I'll round the score on an 8 or 9 later, but I'll give this show an 8.5/10 for now.
Mar 25, 2018 9:10 AM

Jan 2014
so cartaphilus live with them now?
Mar 25, 2018 9:25 AM

Nov 2011
I'm not complaining about the ending, if we think about the true story of Cartaphilus, the logical choice to close the story was precisely what was shown in the episode. Perhaps compared to the beginning the story has lost a little bit in terms of magic and esotericism, in favor of the relationship between Elias and Chise, but the narrative has been able to keep faith with its character. I hope there is a second season.

7.95/10
Mar 25, 2018 9:48 AM

May 2017
I really liked this show during the first 12 episodes, then I feel like the show was stagnating. It was only until the last 4 or so episodes where things began to get back on track again. I had high hopes going into the finale after the last episode, but the final fight happened relatively quick and felt disjointed. It was nice how they tied up all the loose ends but overall I just felt the ending was "satisfacotry", not great over impressive but not a disappointment.

Well, I guess I am a little disappointed, as I was pretty hyped for this episode. Overall I gave the show a 7. I think at one point early in the show I felt like it could have been an 8 or a 9.

Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

375 by yelansh »»
Mar 30, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

189 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jan 12, 9:00 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

119 by Thaliel »»
Dec 18, 2023 11:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.