Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 4, 2018 11:13 AM

Nov 2014
ttcchen said:
As for Tomie, since she regrows from her blood cells, wouldn't we be able to kill her by burning her to ash? I doubt she'd able to grow from ash particles.

Interesting thought definitely! There’s a chapter of Tomie where something similar happens:

ImmortalLoliMar 4, 2018 11:17 AM
Mar 4, 2018 12:11 PM
Jul 2018
Satan has appeared, every man run for your lifes!

OT: Given the fact that they already confirmed to be making an anime adaptation of Tomie i wasn't too sure if she was gonna appear in this shorts series or not despite appearing in the opening. Regardless both parts were good.
Mar 4, 2018 12:14 PM
Dec 2017
Laurits said:
Pipimimiki said:
Here's hoping there's a season 2.
I kinda doubt we’ll get a season 2 but you can always hope for one i hope
yeah I totally agree. Well, it was nice while it lasted right?
Mar 4, 2018 12:40 PM

Jul 2016
So painting one was wierd... didn't really understand it
Mar 4, 2018 12:59 PM
Mar 2017
Pipimimiki said:
Laurits said:
I kinda doubt we’ll get a season 2 but you can always hope for one i hope
yeah I totally agree. Well, it was nice while it lasted right?
Eh i guess so but tbh i still have very mixed thoughts about it
Mar 5, 2018 6:12 AM

Jul 2016
After 8 episodes of cock-teasing, we finally get Tomie. It was a good adaptation, but tbh, I think Tomie is deserving of her own series, rather than being bait to lure people into the Junji Ito variety hour.
Mar 5, 2018 11:31 AM

Aug 2014
With only 3 episodes left, I guess I'll say, that I am thoroughly enjoying this anime. Sure reading the manga is probably a superior experience, that the anime can't quite recapture and a bunch of the stories are somewhat mediocre, but I am a sucker for horror anthologies and Junji Ito absolutely is dabbling in some really interesting concepts.

As for this episode; honestly I expected more from Tomie, it was Ito's first major release from what I gathered, but this episode was seemingly just a shallow exploration into the infatuation with beauty, that drives artists (mad sometimes).

Then the second segment; good to see the Narutards are still around kicking it. The end of the series has left them pretty blank and seemingly Boruto isn't quite bringing it like pop Uzumaki used to, but that dashing has not been forgotten. But joke aside; the botanical vampirism thing is once again another example of Ito dabbling outside of the box and I am sure the manga must have been visually compelling to look at.

All in all a good episode.
Mar 5, 2018 12:39 PM

Nov 2014
IAmTomie said:
ttcchen said:
As for Tomie, since she regrows from her blood cells, wouldn't we be able to kill her by burning her to ash? I doubt she'd able to grow from ash particles.

Interesting thought definitely! There’s a chapter of Tomie where something similar happens:

Hmm you said badly burned and ashy, so they havent completely turned to ash right? Badly burned doesnt mean completely disintegrated to ash particles. Anyway, I'll get back to you after I read that chapter
Mar 5, 2018 5:07 PM

Nov 2014
ttcchen said:
IAmTomie said:

Hmm you said badly burned and ashy, so they havent completely turned to ash right? Badly burned doesnt mean completely disintegrated to ash particles. Anyway, I'll get back to you after I read that chapter

You’re exactly right, I just thought I’d mention the chapter since it was sorta related to your theory! :) It’s been a little while since I’ve re-read that chapter so I’m going to check back myself on what they looked like after burning. I hope you enjoy it!
Edit: After checking, I’m wondering if the fingers began to regenerate while the fire was burning or after it was out.
ImmortalLoliMar 5, 2018 5:18 PM
Mar 6, 2018 2:24 AM

Jan 2013
Oh, I'm surprised to see Tomie earlier than in the last ep...
Anyway, the 2nd story is so creepy and disgusting but we have some kind of a sexy vampire here.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Mar 6, 2018 2:26 AM

Jan 2013
minimiau said:
I didn't like Tomie's story at all

dude, there's only like the chapter one, Tomie is 393928392939 times longer story with many many more Tomies but I'm not gonna spoil about the other girls, you should read this manga, one of his 2 best works

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Mar 6, 2018 2:27 AM

Nov 2014
IAmTomie said:
ttcchen said:

You’re exactly right, I just thought I’d mention the chapter since it was sorta related to your theory! :) It’s been a little while since I’ve re-read that chapter so I’m going to check back myself on what they looked like after burning. I hope you enjoy it!
Edit: After checking, I’m wondering if the fingers began to regenerate while the fire was burning or after it was out.

Just read the chapter had some thoughts on it. So it seems like she can regenerate from ash, too. But she goes back to the way she looked before, and it was said that Tomie do age. So the only way to kill her is for her to die of old age? Also, I wonder what if Tomie have children? Would they become Tomie since they share her blood?
Mar 6, 2018 4:53 AM
Mar 2017
ttcchen said:
IAmTomie said:

Just read the chapter had some thoughts on it. So it seems like she can regenerate from ash, too. But she goes back to the way she looked before, and it was said that Tomie do age. So the only way to kill her is for her to die of old age? Also, I wonder what if Tomie have children? Would they become Tomie since they share her blood?
If tomie had children maybe they would also turn into tomie cause they share her blood considering the story where that one dude injects tomie’s blood into babies (though im aware those 2 things aren’t exactly the same)
Mar 6, 2018 8:56 AM

Nov 2014
ttcchen said:
IAmTomie said:

I don’t want to derail this discussion thread too much or add tons of Tomie spoilers so I’ll PM you!
Tomie herself has a lot of little details and mysteries surrounding her existence, so really the best way to understand her is to read her stories.
ImmortalLoliMar 6, 2018 9:15 AM
Mar 6, 2018 9:35 AM

Aug 2007
thatPinkSpider said:
minimiau said:
I didn't like Tomie's story at all

dude, there's only like the chapter one, Tomie is 393928392939 times longer story with many many more Tomies but I'm not gonna spoil about the other girls, you should read this manga, one of his 2 best works

As I said, I don't read too much about Ito's mangas. So, maybe if I read the manga Tomie'es story I like it.

At this moment, I didnt like this animated part.
Mar 6, 2018 4:58 PM

May 2015
That second segment was plain wtf, lol.

Mar 6, 2018 7:19 PM

Oct 2010
I was a fool for thinking someone looked hot in a Junji Ito short.

Oh boy this is the stuff of nightmares
Mar 7, 2018 4:42 AM

Jun 2013
dasprn said:
Tomie is bae!!
Bibimbapski said:
So happy to finally see Tomie animated. I heard there are two OVAs and I will definitely watch those.

Tomie looked gorgeous as usual, she's better animated than her live action version.

The second story was pretty gross too.

There's a live action?

Yep from 1998 and several other Tomie movies.
臭い-
Mar 7, 2018 8:07 AM

Feb 2014
Bibimbapski said:
dasprn said:
Tomie is bae!!

There's a live action?

Yep from 1998 and several other Tomie movies.

What's the recent one?
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Mar 7, 2018 1:27 PM

Apr 2016
Man none of the stories really get fleshed out, if they are going to do an anthology pick the pieces that wrap up in a few chapters not the longest running ones. It sucks shit when you get into Tomie and then the story flips to a new one and loses all it's momentum.
Mar 8, 2018 6:28 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Another great episode, both stories were very nice!!!
The first, the muse that can disrupt the artist was amazing, but the second, the blood tree walking, was better and horrific!!!
Incredible, you have to drink yourself blood-fruit to alive but you will transform in a eb thirsty for blood!!!
Mar 10, 2018 8:42 AM

Apr 2015
Tomie's half was not particularly great tbh. Would imagine she has some better skits

Second half was a bit better, tho it had some lacklustre voice acting.
Mar 12, 2018 5:39 PM

Apr 2017
The second story is the villain's seiyuu Akira Ishida?
Mar 12, 2018 10:12 PM

May 2017
IAmTomie said:
ttcchen said:

I don’t want to derail this discussion thread too much or add tons of Tomie spoilers so I’ll PM you!
Tomie herself has a lot of little details and mysteries surrounding her existence, so really the best way to understand her is to read her stories.

I just read that chapter. Obviously, a simple bon fire wouldn't completely disintegrate fingers.
LairucremMar 13, 2018 3:43 AM
Mar 13, 2018 6:11 AM

Jan 2011
Tomie was looking good alright.
Mar 15, 2018 7:47 AM

Dec 2010
Tomie is one of the most hyped "horror" stories from all M&A. This is my second encouter. I only watched one live-action movie from 2011. I did not like it at all - too much grotesque and mindfuck. One of the very few horror movie that somehow disgusted me.

This painter segment is miles better. The plot was interesting and the whole point of "saving her beauty in an art form" was good starting point. She was looking pretty good and her VA did a good job. In some way this story resembled the fourth movie from Guinea Pig series - Mermaid in a Manhole. They are both about drawing some beautiful "girl" and both end with a portrait of a monster. Guinea Pig is much more intestinal and disgusting though.

Second story was much better than any from EP08. I was expecting some shallow vampire plot but it developed to be something much smoother. Was a little bit poetic and ethereal but also quite "gory'. Really an interesting take on "blood".
Mar 15, 2018 9:45 PM

Mar 2009
Tomie's kind of a babe.
Mar 16, 2018 11:36 AM

Jul 2009
All artists were crazy about Tomie...
Mar 21, 2018 2:15 AM

Nov 2009
Solid episode. A few eps in the middle got a bit same-same. Still really enjoying this, never fails to make me laugh.
Mar 26, 2018 5:08 PM

May 2016
Little did I expect that Tomie will appear this early on~ They handled her debut very well. The creepiness was retained and that noblewoman laugh was too adorable.

He managed to make vampires an even grosser concept kek

Mar 30, 2018 1:51 PM

Jun 2015
The OST that was playing while the painter chopped Tomie was legendary.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Apr 7, 2018 6:40 AM

Jun 2014
Man, that girlfriends voice from the blood fruit episode sounded really unmotivated... Kinda stole the show, in a not so good way. But I guess every seiyuu has to start somewhere.
May 21, 2018 3:11 PM

Aug 2014
The Tomie story was probably one of the better stories thus far. The ending part was pretty disturbing, and I think the animators did a decent job with Tomie's revival.

The second story was just bad. Probably my least favorite story so far. The animation also dropped significantly with that half, rewatch the scene with the children chasing the two main characters with the whips and you'll see what I mean. The running cycle is really stilted and jarring, and at some point Kana stops moving to look behind her at the kids yet the background continues to move, insinuating she's still moving. It just looks really weird, it's hard to explain.

Regardless, this wasn't an awful episode, I guess. My main problems lie in Blood-bubble Bushes.

Sep 15, 2018 8:01 PM

Mar 2014
Im very confused. How come when the one guy showed him the photo of her, she had that weird mutated head but no one acknowledged anything about it, and then he paints her with that still without acknowledging anything about it.
Oct 1, 2018 5:51 AM

May 2017
Witness- said:
Im very confused. How come when the one guy showed him the photo of her, she had that weird mutated head but no one acknowledged anything about it, and then he paints her with that still without acknowledging anything about it.

Coz it's a common thing in photography, that happens a lot than you think

In Tomie's case it's a representation of her monster personality and ability to seduce any man, supernatural is involved here
Nov 14, 2018 5:01 PM

Sep 2014
That painting was pretty though :/ Tomie has such high standards lmao

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Jan 8, 2020 5:09 PM
Jun 2013
hmm was that second face metaphorical or just how she really looked? Also shit sure turned really dark and gory at the end with all the chopping.

the next story just seems like a typical vampire ending with a pretty messed up end.
Mar 10, 2020 2:39 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I can't disagree, Tomie is really beautiful.
The last story was so disturbing and disgusting, one of the best so far
Oct 22, 2022 4:46 AM

Dec 2009
While I don't think Tomie's Painter is one of my top favorite stories from her series,
it's one of the best in the sense of being the or a first that introduces her ability to multiply, and revealing a grotesque form from her through photographs.

The insanity of the artists, Tomie's subtle manipulation that isn't clear to this story nor at this point of her series and her multiplication especially is awesome. 7/10.

Beautiful to see the fascinating terrifying image of Blood-Bubble Bushes animated.
Unfortunately, the only flaw is excluding the lore of how this phenomenom exists. It also cut out some dialogue from the characters, and the kid's crashing into the blood fruits and being killed by the man which gives the couple the opportunity to escape.

The explanation is that the man's kiss is the curse that transforms people into blood fruit trees, and after drugging the couple, while the boyfriend was dozing off mid-awake, he saw him suck blood from his girlfriend's neck which is what caused her to start producing blood fruit first.
Disappointing that they cut the explanation and the kids returning out, but still a good adaption. 6/10.
Oct 27, 2022 5:29 AM
Oct 2019
Finally the legendary Tomie...
damn she is really beautiful.

ohh the Bloddy Fruit.. wtf man
Feb 16, 2023 9:26 PM

Feb 2021
This episode involves women much more than another episode...
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2018

93 by Cyberdre4ms »»
Apr 30, 4:01 PM

» Is the blu ray version better?

Andru230 - Mar 27

2 by Andru230 »»
Apr 15, 9:42 AM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2018

162 by Moxymoxymo »»
Mar 24, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2018

238 by Moxymoxymo »»
Mar 22, 1:04 AM

» Question for whoever has completed this series.....

Elbezo - Dec 11, 2023

5 by Koukyoukyoku »»
Jan 11, 7:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.