Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 13, 2018 2:20 PM

May 2013
The episode felt really short, at least we got to see Katakuri .

Feb 13, 2018 2:58 PM
Dec 2017
The character development of Luffy has been such a journey. What an episode. The emotions looked so real.
Feb 14, 2018 5:37 PM
Feb 2015
The way Luffy gets through his friends' true feelings was great.
But Sanji, do you want to save your family? please, you never cared about your family before, and now you want to risk your friends' life for what?
Feb 15, 2018 3:18 PM
Jul 2016
I CRIED..cried a lot T_T
OMG this episode was just fantastic...and good adaptation from Toei♡♡
5:30 to the tea party……⊙_⊙
WTH will happen in it( ̄∇ ̄)
Feb 16, 2018 1:03 AM
Jun 2015
Nice emotional ep. Just thought it was a bit short though. Oh well. Looking forward to next week.
Feb 16, 2018 11:06 PM

Aug 2015
Really good! cant wait to see more about katakuri

Feb 18, 2018 10:38 PM

Jun 2014
This episode is probably one of the best things the show has ever done, hands down. From that new orchestral version of we are to the emotional climax of Luffy and Sanji's gripe it was perfect. The anime's adaption of the manga chapters has been surpassing it lately for the last 5 weeks. It's great and a nice return to form.
Feb 19, 2018 1:50 PM

Dec 2014
I've only heard about Katakuri but everyone seems to be hyped for him. Can't wait to read the manga.
Feb 20, 2018 4:48 AM

Jun 2015
Stunning episode , made me cry. Unbelieavble that this show can still be this good.
Mar 6, 2018 4:49 AM

Jul 2013
Awesome scenes won't justify the very slow pace of this episode. But I sure am glad that it's finally settled, that thing with Sanji. But I'm thinking... can the Strawhats really defeat Big Mom?
Apr 4, 2018 1:53 PM

Apr 2013
People actually like this episode? 5 minutes of recap followed by a bunch of flashbacks...
Only good thing was the last minute in which Katakuri-sama appeared.
Apr 17, 2018 3:26 AM

May 2010
Luffy is the best psychiatrist in this series - he just asks one question and the other person can find the right answer within himself, beautiful xD

Eh, too slow (again...), but more enjoyable than some of the previous ones. I'm sure it worked way better in the manga version.
Aug 8, 2018 12:49 PM

Dec 2016
Luffy’s punch on Sanji was fucking wilddddddd. The ending of the episode made me fucking die too, sooooo fucking epic
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 6, 2018 11:42 AM

Jan 2013
Slow but it was so satisfying to finally see Sanji tell Luffy what he really wanted.
New guy looks strong.
May 13, 2019 2:48 PM

Apr 2012
>We Are playing as the sun rises
beautiful
Jan 9, 2020 4:45 PM
Jul 2018
Luffy is such an admirable character. He can tell right from the get-go whether you're speaking from the heart or not. He is really kind. The simple fact he wants to help Sanji save his terrible family from Big Mom herself, not out of obligation as his captain, but out of the kindness and purity of his heart. Because Sanji is his friend. The whole thing made me feel wholesome.

Speaking of kindness, Sanji wanting to save his, and I quote, "scumbag" of a family shows that, despite acting all tough and strong, deep down he is tenderhearted.

So that's the famous Katakuri I keep hearing so much of from other One Piece fans? He sure looks badass and eerie to me.
Apr 19, 2020 9:00 PM

Feb 2014
Finally... woo the music and everything was just amazing!! That scene with Sanji and Luffy, yesss!!! 😭😭😭
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
May 20, 2020 4:00 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Man, this was heart-wrenching as heck! Finally, Sanji's true wish is out. Reminds me of Robin's plea of help from one of the earlier arcs.

Luffy's state at the end of the last episode though, jeez. Battered and sapped out of all life, it's amazing how he managed to crawl all the way to the poor tree lad.

Op with the edited visuals was very fitting too!

About time to finally transition state now! Can't wait to see what they're going to come up with against this seemingly impossible bind from the Charlottes.

And to make matters worse, Karakuri makes his appearance... Here's to hoping Bege's support will prove to make a difference ultimately or things are going into a spiral downwards, that's for sure.

I really do wish the pacing could do a bit more working. I've watched like 10 episodes in a row but I feel like too little has happened. It does help with the binge mood for one but I can totally understand why some people would be bored to death amidst this.

Sanji's struggle was a genuine one nevertheless over the last 20 episodes or so but it's time to finally change gears and get to the climax of this!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 28, 2020 4:16 PM

Apr 2018
Why this arc is making me so emotional??
Honestly, I wasn't enjoying this arc initially, however this is getting alot better each passing episode and this episode is so beautiful probably my favourite ep of this arc so far
Jul 15, 2020 5:14 AM

Jun 2016
It’s been hard. Hasn’t it, Sanji?

As much as I criticized the method leading to this reunion, and I stand by why I was bored, this episode was beautiful. In the last post I suggested that I had theories over Sanji's feelings, yet they were unconfirmed. I think it was the lack of confirmation which kept me emotionally detached. I didn't want to start crying for something that may not even be the case. For him to confirm every single theory I posited, it became even more emotional because of that. I don't know if it's called something, but the writing device where you see hints of what somebody is feeling but not enough to materialize with confidence, only for them to open up and give you the powerful thought: “of course it was that way” is like my favourite form of emotional writing. Last post I described myself as an observer rather than a participant. The “of course it was that way” moment is what made me a participant, it confirmed all of my fears and feelings, and by doing so it makes Sanji feel incredibly human. Because until somebody is incredibly open and vulnerable it is difficult to truly know how they are feeling.

To set the scene, Sanji has failed Luffy in his mind, he feels a deep sense of shame over what he has done to his friends. This being foreshadowed by Sanji’s stern agreement with Zoro that Usopp, the man he just saved and encouraged to find self-confidence, should not rejoin the crew easily. I feel as though you could see the shame on his face as he spoke to Luffy, as if Luffy's childlike and blameless smile only hurt him. As if he wanted to be rebuked and punished. Before even getting into his reasons, we saw such a strong foundation from both of their characters. One of Luffy's lines which forever changed how I thought of his character is: “Being lonely is more painful than getting hurt.” Luffy is truly selfless when it comes to his friends, all he wants is the best for them, and the thing that hurts him most is when he cannot ensure that. His smile reminded me of his childhood, it was one of those moments that felt like I was staring straight into his heart. And for Sanji to feel hurt by that kindness shows his intense duty and obligation to others, and especially his friends- the shame that he let them down. Following this, it was quite beautiful that we had a parallel from the time that Sanji brought his mom food. The act of Luffy eating his food is a distinct reminder that the Straw Hats are an unconditional home for Sanji, no matter how lowly he feels and no matter how badly he’s failed, just like his biological mom represented before he lost her.

I am no genius for theorizing the reasons for Sanji’s inner turmoil, I basically threw everything on the table. I was unsure of the priority of each. But perhaps it was the order he listed them in. His sense of shame and guilt for betraying his friends and hurting Luffy. As touched on, something deeply foreshadowed! His gratitude to Zeff, rejecting a chance of him being executed. And third, a sense of duty to his family, a duty to save them. For Reiju, this is obvious, but I do think this was also foreshadowed quite strongly with Judge too. Sanji absolutely wanted his love, he wanted to be good enough, even now in the present Sanji had to ask himself if a biological parent it's entitled to respect. As much as he has decided he only feels animosity towards them: he grew up with his brothers, he grew up desiring his father's love, and he grew up grateful for Reiju. Despite all the bad things they have done to him, akin to the way that he respects the life of strangers or even his enemies at times, he feels responsible to protect them. And importantly, all three reasons holding him back and crushing him are the obligations he holds to other people. To his friends, to his adoptive father, to his biological family. It was about who he had to be for them. Taking into account the fact that he is a cook, I feel living for other people is incredibly essential to Sanji. He always does seem at peace when he’s cooking alone for his friends. <3

Finishing with Luffy forcing Sanji to say the thing that he was afraid to say was the only way to go. It was powerful and vulnerable for him to suggest he didn't have the courage needed to run away. And it was powerful for Luffy to understand exactly why: ‘because that is who Sanji is’. We've known that the whole time buddy, so lets do it.
Sep 15, 2020 9:26 AM

Mar 2020
Oh god, that frigging instrumental version of We Are pierces right through my heart
Jun 10, 2021 4:07 AM

Apr 2021
T^T everything is perfect ,, but uh katakuri.... things are certainly stirring up. Can't wait for the fight 0-0
“I am the Dark Flame Master. Perish, enveloped in the flames of darkness!”
Jun 12, 2021 2:18 PM
Mar 2021
I loved this episode!!!! I was tearing up the entire time and then the orchestra song of the first op opening made it perfect. finally will get to see katakuri, his character was spoiled but that's fine. no matter what I get spoiled op never ceases to amaze me.
Aug 2, 2021 6:19 AM
Jan 2019
Natsu88 said:

I can understand Sanjis feelings. He hates his family for everything they've done to him in the past but at the same time he doesn't want to let them die.

I would love to hear an explanation for it cause to me it is just a typical situation where the writer just wants to get the reward of something that he clearly has not earned. It is not seen anywhere in the anime that sanji would be the guy to do this and nowhere in this arc has been a single hint that he likes his family in any way and vice verca (excluding his sister for obvious reasons), so where is the reason to risk his live and the lives of his actual friends and probably also family for them.

Destroyed the entire episode for me even though the rest of it that wasnt part of the 6-7 min recap at the begining was good .
Aug 2, 2021 3:25 PM

Jul 2013
Jcr999 said:
I would love to hear an explanation for it cause to me it is just a typical situation where the writer just wants to get the reward of something that he clearly has not earned. It is not seen anywhere in the anime that sanji would be the guy to do this and nowhere in this arc has been a single hint that he likes his family in any way and vice verca (excluding his sister for obvious reasons), so where is the reason to risk his live and the lives of his actual friends and probably also family for them.

Destroyed the entire episode for me even though the rest of it that wasnt part of the 6-7 min recap at the begining was good .

Opinions are obviously subjective. However I personally always thought of Sanji as a really kind person even if he often times acts as the "cool" guy. His time with Zeff and his journey with Luffy and all the other straw hats let him completely forget about the traumatic events with his family and the hate he especially had on his father.

But even with how bad he still thinks about his father and his brothers, in a situation where they're about to get killed by Big Mom, he feels responsibility towards them, something they never felt for Sanji. Sanji just wants to show them how family should care for each other because he's simply a better person as anyone of them can ever be.

That's at least how I interpreted it in this arc and when I reached this episode. I'm sure you will understand Sanji's perspective better when reaching the wedding party.
Natsu88Aug 7, 2021 8:52 PM

Aug 6, 2021 8:28 AM

May 2016
Just seeing Luffy whole-heartedly enjoy Sanji's food no matter how messed up it had become because of the rain and mud was enough to make me tear up so you can guess how my emotional state was during the rest of the episode.

It's not like he's actually left in the first place but he's finally back in the crew ♡

Aug 21, 2021 2:27 AM

Jun 2019
Man... I feel bad for Sanji. He has to bear so much on his shoulder and he still wants to save his scum family. I teared up when Sanji started crying. :'(
Sep 5, 2021 1:34 AM

Aug 2021
The instrumental of 1st opening "We Are" gave too many feels

and ofc fav moment
Nov 15, 2021 5:12 PM
Jul 2016
What an absolutely PHENOMENAL episode ;-; I was crying.. Luffy is the best MC and best senchou we are blessed with. Sanji and his reunion was beautiful. I was literally shouting at Sanji to look for Luffy more. I was worried Sanji will think he is not there anymore and go back. But when Sanji heard Luffy's tummy rumbling I was like YES FINALLY!
Also I was feeling so bad for luffy because I know how it feels like to be extremely hungry. I can not function. And nowadays I am not cooking well so am always hungry.
Luffy was not even drinking the syrup rain and fighting with everyone even though he was out of energy long ago. Really hurt to see him so worn out. Sanji making everyone's favorite food for Pudding is so beautiful.
I am glad Luffy knocked some sense into Sanji. Sanji being Sanji would never give up on his family even though they treated him so badly. I am so happy there is so much understanding between Luffy and his crew. I absolutely admire Luffy.
Great episode, it was worth the trouble to go to the library to get this episode haha
May 18, 2022 1:50 AM

Dec 2012
Perfect episode. 15 minutes non-stop tears of joy. That new variation of "We Are" that played triumphantly with the sunrise was the icing on the whole cake.
May 31, 2022 3:44 AM
Jul 2018
this episode was so emotional and truly amazing
removed-userAug 13, 2022 5:02 AM
Aug 19, 2022 9:22 PM

Dec 2018
pretty good, it's not usual for sanji to show weakness.
Aug 24, 2022 5:46 AM
Sep 2021
So I am catching up right now and so far has been a different pace which is good I think. That being said when luffy and Sanji made up it gave me goosebumps. Gave me me the same feeling as the end of infinity war. Playing the OG song just slower
Aug 30, 2022 1:30 PM

Dec 2017
I love how Luffy's stomach reacted to Sanji calling out to him xD His stomach truly has a mind of its own.
Sep 1, 2022 11:51 PM
Mar 2022
the soundtrack woooooow
Sep 4, 2022 5:49 PM
Jul 2021
beautiful episode
Sep 19, 2022 1:33 PM
May 2022
One of the best episodes
Feb 27, 2023 6:34 AM
Aug 2021
1) Loved how they turned the og song into a movie soundtrack
2) Sanji has a lot of unpacking and healing to do bless his heart
3)Luffy is a W captain and friend. Need to find a Luffy irl.
Apr 4, 2023 10:02 AM
Oct 2020
The connection of the mugiwara pirates is simply amazing. I just wanted to cry and Sanji really showed his feelings.
And Katakuri introduction is so scary btw.
Jun 15, 2023 2:36 PM
Aug 2022
Zoro flashback yattaaa 

And he's insulting Sanji too, sugeee
Aug 13, 2023 5:06 AM
Sep 2021
best anime to enjoy
Aug 13, 2023 5:24 AM
Dec 2022
اوسسسسست We Are ماني مصدق طلع هنااااااااااااااااااااااااااا
Aug 14, 2023 9:00 PM
Oct 2020
I loved this episode.
Although there was a recap, after that, the episode was incredible.
Sanji giving Luffy his crushed bento, which was filled with water and mud paralleled him giving food to his mother when he was young.
Although Sanji thinks of himself as a failure, (not just with giving Luffy a crumpled bento but being a failure as a son in the Vinsmoke family), Luffy still happily eats it like Sanji's mother does in the flashback.
But my favorite part of the episode was when Sanji begins to list reasons he cannot come back, and Luffy doesn't buy it.
Then the instrumental version of "We Are" began to play after Sanji confesses how he truly feels, and Luffy understands. Because he knows how kindhearted Sanji can be. This feels similar to Robin's "I want to live!" scene as Sanji also felt that he would be fine dying as long as his friends are okay. But maybe, just maybe, Sanji can finally hope that Luffy might help him.
Man, I love One Piece.
Oct 2, 2023 6:46 AM
Jan 2016
What an episode! One Piece is so goofy yet never fails to be real when it needs to be. What a time to be alive!
Dec 16, 2023 9:51 PM
Jun 2022
omg sanji still wanting to go back to the sunny and wanting to save his family even though they're shitheads(except reiju stinkk) omg 😭😭😭 added with the we are soundtrack omgg 😭😭😭😭😭😭
Jan 1, 1:11 PM
May 2023
the interaction between sanji and luffy in the end made me cry... it was so beutiful ;-;
Jan 21, 7:03 AM

May 2021
Amazing episode! The soundtrack added the feels, and Sanji finally opening up to Luffy was beautiful
MonozoneJan 26, 5:05 AM

Feb 25, 3:24 PM
Oct 2019
WHAT AN EMOTIONAL EPISODE!!

Let's fcking crash this Red Wedding!!

OMG i hear Tomokazu Sugita voice.
Mar 14, 8:20 AM
Feb 2022
The first opening in orchestra version was very emotional.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 843 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

16 by FedeMetal »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 842 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

20 by FedeMetal »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 402 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ishmael - May 24, 2009

82 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:28 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 401 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ishmael - May 16, 2009

73 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:10 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 400 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Miked - May 9, 2009

135 by gannoncannon55 »»
Yesterday, 11:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.