Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 3, 2018 10:39 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
"i can feel myself going deep inside you"

oh yes.. who doesn't want to go deep inside Zero Two? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

shes definitely fighting for waifu of the season, holy shit

those mechs are so cute lol
Feb 3, 2018 10:41 AM

Feb 2018
Kaiser_Senpai said:
HereticHunter said:
Looks like the "teenage drama" is finally gone... At least Ichigo (of all people) Recognized Hiro's will to Ride with Zero Two. Expect things to get better now from this point.

So... is Hiro still a Cuck? Points at episode 3 discussion

I guess most of those guys who said that, they dropped. So now it´s fine.

Either that or they're currently too busy worshipping Zero Two to be hating on this show.
Feb 3, 2018 10:42 AM

Feb 2016
Kaiser_Senpai said:
HereticHunter said:
Looks like the "teenage drama" is finally gone... At least Ichigo (of all people) Recognized Hiro's will to Ride with Zero Two. Expect things to get better now from this point.

I guess most of those guys who said that, they dropped. So now it´s fine.

Well, that's Good enough!
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Feb 3, 2018 10:45 AM

Nov 2017
The best anime in the season for me. Hiro and Zero Two 2018's power couple.
Feb 3, 2018 10:46 AM
Jan 2018

that smirk tho. poor ichigo
Feb 3, 2018 10:47 AM

Nov 2016
_Hans_ said:
Woah, take it easy there man... 0_0

Thanks for posting...this show xD

And yep, it was a good episode,the drama was solved, Hiro and 02 are probably going to be officially teamed up from now on.

But boi,was Hiro implying that he's going to die at the end ?

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 3, 2018 10:52 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Best episode so far. Finally we get to see Hiro actually pilot with Zero Two and confirm how the position with Zero Two works. Not to mention I still never thought Hiro was a bad MC only cause he was afraid and doubted himself. He had all rights to be concerned and now that it's confirmed he's the only one who can be with Zero Two, I hope Papa or anyone else doesn't try to stop them from piloting together again.

Very much looking forward to the next episode.
Feb 3, 2018 10:53 AM

Apr 2015
moodie said:

Funny enough this is the first episode handled by Trigger.

I mean from what he said his problem was with the writing and the direction that show decided to take, the production being at Trigger now does not change that, merely visually so that won't work as an explanation I guess.

MistLiigh said:

Thanks for the clarification! I had heard it said (as a general statement about the show, not just this episode) that it was basically animated by Trigger and written by A-1, but that was just some podcasters who have been wrong before, so that info is probably not the most reliable... I may have to see if I can track down anything written in English (or at least translatable by the browser) confirming or denying such statements....

There is this very easy to find Sakugabooru blog post that clearly states how this is a A-1 production featuring Trigger. So far Trigger's involvement has been storyboards by Imaishi + some guest appearances for the first 3 episodes. This episode for the first time they took the most weight of the production, that does not mean leading positions are different though. Not to undermine their role at all it's still a collaboration after all. But in the end it's still Nishigori's baby.

But a far more healthy look at this is not one of "Is it A-1 or is it Trigger?" but to simply see it as a reunion of Ex-Gainax staff to once again work together on something.
Feb 3, 2018 10:55 AM

Apr 2014
Fappa said:
moodie said:

Funny enough this is the first episode handled by Trigger.

I mean from what he said his problem was with the writing and the direction that show decided to take, the production being at Trigger now does not change that, merely visually so that won't work as an explanation I guess.
Honestly read his post as the way the episode was being executed rather than writing.
Feb 3, 2018 10:55 AM

Sep 2013
Action was okay I guess, I expected more from trigger's side.
HereticHunter said:

Just wait until the edgelord squad with their 02 sex slave clones arrive to take away 02 and he does nothing about it.
Feb 3, 2018 10:56 AM

Jan 2008
Hmm finally something decent. I hope we can see more fights now instead of blocking their fights.

But the fight itself was kinda weird animated. Oh wait. This is just trigger. Otherwise the episode was decent. Better compared to the episodes before.
Feb 3, 2018 11:04 AM

Dec 2017
HereticHunter said:

funny you saying that, because i feel more drama starting from this episode than the previous ones
Feb 3, 2018 11:06 AM

Feb 2016
uninstallthegame said:
HereticHunter said:

funny you saying that, because i feel more drama starting from this episode than the previous ones

No Shit Sherlock, but I were referring to Ichigo's childhood selfishness over Hiro. (and others) That were highly criticized by people in other forums, that's why I added "Quotes" to "Teenage Drama"
CrimsonWandererFeb 3, 2018 12:24 PM
~Blackwall
Feb 3, 2018 11:07 AM

Jun 2014
-Stray said:
Anyways things are finally getting interesting, btw does anyone else feels like whenever they're talking about "being inside" or "ridding" that its something sexual.. no? just me? ayt.

No you're definitely not the only one feeling this way, as this entire anime is pretty much a huge sexual metaphor. And it's not even limited to the position they're in when piloting a FranXX, or the lines in this episode like "I feel myself going deeper inside you" and "You wanna ride me, huh?" Back in episode two, when the annoying kid (Zorome?) refused to believe that Hiro piloted a FranXX before they did, that could be interpreted as him basically saying there's no way Hiro lost his virginity before they did. And I saw Mitsuru's persistence in riding with 02 last episode as him implying that he could fuck her better than Hiro ever could. So yeah, sexual innuendos are everywhere in this show.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Feb 3, 2018 11:07 AM

Feb 2016
ichii_1 said:
HereticHunter said:

Just wait until the edgelord squad with their 02 sex slave clones arrive to take away 02 and he does nothing about it.

I really hope that isn't the case, otherwise I will flip tables
~Blackwall
Feb 3, 2018 11:10 AM
Jun 2017
This episode was lit. And of course the adults being cockblocks smh

edit: i feel bad for the people that drop this on episode 3
DivineLionFeb 3, 2018 11:15 AM
Fire Emblem anime when
Feb 3, 2018 11:11 AM
Nov 2016
iHai_xx said:

that smirk tho. poor ichigo

yeah 02 really rubbing it in. For everyone who's been "enjoying" the drama so far you can already look forward to happy-happy times with Ichigo next episode.

The episode was still predictable in a way that many times you can predict what will happen a couple of seconds before they happen:

Fat kid gonna say something about eating that food - he does
Hiro will run after 02 - He does.
The two monsters are connected underground - they are
they will defeat the monster by running through the electric shaver's head - they do

still a nice episode. I'm glad that Hiro finally admitted he wants to ride 02 and it was nice to see him getting deeper inside her. Though I wonder how true those subs are to the japanese dialogue. :)
Feb 3, 2018 11:12 AM

Dec 2017
and it's just me or this episode really gives an edgy teen Divergent-like vibe?

"i'm rejected, but that's also what makes me unique. i feel free not obeying the rules"
hopefully it's just me and just this ep, 'cause it gives a bad impression
Feb 3, 2018 11:14 AM

Apr 2014
"You wanna ride me, huh?"
"I can feel myself going deeper inside you"

https://i.imgur.com/oivMfr7.gif

Ya know its silly lines like these that make me wish the show didn't take itself so seriously.
Feb 3, 2018 11:16 AM
Nov 2016
uninstallthegame said:
and it's just me or this episode really gives an edgy teen Divergent-like vibe?

"i'm rejected, but that's also what makes me unique. i feel free not obeying the rules"
hopefully it's just me and just this ep, 'cause it gives a bad impression

implying divergent itself is not built on edgy teen vibes? :)
Feb 3, 2018 11:19 AM

Jan 2018
For all that talk in the last episode's discussion about how Hiro and Zero Two could not disobey orders from the higher-ups or they would suffer consequences or some shit, they sure just did some hardcore rule-breaking here and absolutely nothing happened to them. Who would have thought that, huh? In retrospect, episode 3 was indeed worthless.

This episode was okay, but can they stop making the other characters useless in the fights and having to get saved by Streilizia? It's getting annoying, especially when the last episode was this exact same set-up.
Feb 3, 2018 11:21 AM

Dec 2017
Ragznakh said:

implying divergent itself is not built on edgy teen vibes? :)

you are right, i was just emphasizing that
Feb 3, 2018 11:26 AM
Jun 2012
That one line where Hiro goes "I can feel myself going deeper into you", had me cracking up.
Feb 3, 2018 11:28 AM

Jul 2015
Why is 02 so ridiculously hot?
Feb 3, 2018 11:30 AM
Jun 2012
Also, something about the backgrounds makes me feel uneasy. Not sure what it is...
Feb 3, 2018 11:30 AM
Jul 2018
Finally 02 and Hiro ride together, but looks like they still hide 02 appearance when riding Strelizia.
Feb 3, 2018 11:34 AM
Nov 2016
uninstallthegame said:

you are right, i was just emphasizing that

ah, right. Well it is an anime featuring teens who just hit puberty so it's off to a good start.

TurboAutist said:
For all that talk in the last episode's discussion about how Hiro and Zero Two could not disobey orders from the higher-ups or they would suffer consequences or some shit, they sure just did some hardcore rule-breaking here and absolutely nothing happened to them. Who would have thought that, huh? In retrospect, episode 3 was indeed worthless.

Well when the show heavily implies that 02 is one of the strongest fighters there is (and so far she's the only one we're shown to be even remotely competent), what are those chumps with guns supposed to do? Shoot dead one of the few people who can actually win against the kaiju?
Feb 3, 2018 11:34 AM
Jul 2016
Best episode yet but it still didn't improve from a 6. This show is seriously lacking plot and character development. Yes it's only 4 episodes in but most great shows hook the viewer by the first 4 to make you want to continue watching. This show has done none of that. I will say it has the highest potential out of every anime in winter 2018, so i'm gonna continue watching.

Also i can't stand the characters. Every character is a literal trope,especially zero 2 being the badass pink haired psycho girl. Like we don't already have enough of those... I can't understand why so many people fall head over heals for such a generic trope; it's literally a bait for "waifu" material. Also hiro is a bootleg shinji.

The action scenes are nonsensical because every character fits the damsel in distress trope waiting for zero 2 to save them... If this doesn't change in later fights then i'm lowering the score to a 5.
TheRantMan321Feb 3, 2018 11:37 AM
Feb 3, 2018 11:35 AM

Dec 2017
HereticHunter said:

No Shit Sherlock, but I were referring to Ichigo's childhood selfishness over Hiro.

dude, would easily and without any second thoughts let go off your childhood friend and the person you like?
she is kind of selfish but it's not an over exaggeration. she's just genuinely worried about him and feared to lose him. it's a character development, can't see any harm in that
Feb 3, 2018 11:35 AM

Sep 2017
Alright, it took a few episodes but this innuendo riddled anime is starting to grown on me. This was a pretty great episode. I wasn't expecting Mitsuru to be piloting after what happened. That really speaks for his character.

My only grip is it seems the other 4 teams can't take down much without the help of Zero Two. I suppose they are all still novices when it comes to real fights and Zero Two is experience. Not to being being part dino or whatever, which I'm sure improves her piloting in some way. I'm looking forward to the other teams improving.
Feb 3, 2018 11:36 AM

Jan 2016
HereticHunter said:
ichii_1 said:

Theres is a squad shown for a split second in the opening who could be what ichii is referencing
Feb 3, 2018 11:36 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
_Hans_ said:
Woah, take it easy there man... 0_0

There were too many dialogues that could be taken for the pervert side this episode~~

_Hans_ said:
YES, PLEASE GOD, YES

But this was the best alrighty!!
One really cute smile right there, there is no boring moment with her around, whoever says she is not the star of the show... dunno what is wrong with you.

Cant wait for the next episode!
Feb 3, 2018 11:37 AM

Dec 2015
Alright, alright. As cheesy as this episode was, I would be lying if I didn't admit that it was always pretty awesome. Definitely the best episode thus far.

The amount of references to Trigger and Gainax productions are too much for me to spend time to compile and compare. But from this episode, I noticed references to Evangelion, Gurren Lagaan, and some hints of Kill la Kill and there. Not to mention Zero Two's design is pretty much paying homage to FLCL's Haruhara Haruko/Diebuster.

The animation and action scenes were spectacular and got my blood pumping. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed this episode as much if it wasn't mostly or completely animated by Trigger (while I believe the episode before were animated by A-1). They definitely nailed a lot of things right on a technical level this time around.

However, this doesn't mean that my complaints for this show becomes complete null and void just from one decent episode. While I am starting to like Zero Two more and more, and beginning to tolerate Hiro, everything else from the bland, unlikeable side characters to the unstable foundation on which the story and world is being set make me hesitant for fully trusting that the series can deliver on its potential. We still have no idea what the story is going to be about or what it is trying to say, and even less about what type of tone it is trying to establish. The narrative is a contrived mess in every sense of the word, and instead of taking time to set up intrigue, it goes stumbling forward thinking that the basic premise (teenagers piloting robots against monsters in a post-apocalyptic world) will keep a watcher immersed and interested.
"Anime is trash and so am I."
Feb 3, 2018 11:40 AM

Jan 2016
_Hans_ said:
HereticHunter said:

Theres is a squad shown for a split second in the opening who could be what ichii is referencing

I found them! They look like frontliners

https://imgur.com/a/i1bNJ
Feb 3, 2018 11:41 AM

Jan 2018
Ragznakh said:
Well when the show heavily implies that 02 is one of the strongest fighters there is (and so far she's the only one we're shown to be even remotely competent), what are those chumps with guns supposed to do? Shoot dead one of the few people who can actually win against the kaiju?

No, I'm just saying they could have just stormed out of the room and get in the robot against the higher-ups' wishes in episode 3 and nothing would really happen to them.
Feb 3, 2018 11:42 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012

Basically, that is 002 saying to her "bitch, this is my property now!"
BANG, OWNED.

BTW the voice actor for 002 really steals the show, she is supposed to also be the same that did Lala Deviluke VA, somehow I cant find her being Lala at all.
Feb 3, 2018 11:43 AM
Jan 2017
I'm so happy Hiro isn't a cuck! I was really scared about the possibility he would just accept Zero Two's "reallocation", get depressed and than, finally, search her. It would destroy the entire series. I'm still hoping for Hiro to get even more respectable.

Zero Two's expressions are still my favorite part! I mean, look ate this:

WE MUST PROTECT THIS SMILE 3

I just hope the other characters become more interesting/necessary with time, because now they don't do anything at all. They're just there. This girl is carrying the entire series on her own! Even though it looks like Hiro it's going to carry it too. But still...
Feb 3, 2018 11:45 AM

Aug 2013
fckin finally Hiro ride zero two
awesome episode
Feb 3, 2018 11:47 AM

Jul 2012
That was quite good, especially 2nd part and some decent action. But still the story is progressing as predictable as it can be.
Feb 3, 2018 11:47 AM

Jan 2014
These higher ups are supremely annoying. The amount of times "oh everyone's going to die, but no Streliza" or "Hiro, you're not piloting with her, you're just staying behind watching", it's infuriating. They do nothing. So poorly written on that front. They're just there to be an annoying blockade without any rhyme or reason.

Aside from the annoyance of the higher ups, very solid episode. Glad this stupid melodrama has calmed down. Finally Hiro isn't being a complete bitch either. I feel there was finally some payoff when Hiro reached out to Zero two and got to pilot Streliza again.

One last note, I'm really enjoying this series, despite its ups and downs, but oh man the rest of the cast is annoying outside of Goro, Ichigo, and Zero Two. For now, Hiro seems to be turning a corner as well, but the other pilots suck, and I hope they become klaxosaur fodder.
Feb 3, 2018 11:58 AM
Aug 2016
BlackFIFA19 said:
Woah this episode was effing great, although because of this episode i kinda think Hiro's gonna die by the end of the series....

I don't think so, since it is pretty much well established by now that unlike the others, he has no trouble piloting Strelizia, Mitsuru almost died after trying to pilot it one time, but Hiro already did it twice without a scratch, so I really don't see any way how he could die
Feb 3, 2018 12:02 PM
May 2015
Typical Trigger episode, it can be defined with two words: references and rule-of-cool. That seems to be enough to woo some people.
Feb 3, 2018 12:03 PM

Feb 2016
fiscchri said:
BlackFIFA19 said:
Woah this episode was effing great, although because of this episode i kinda think Hiro's gonna die by the end of the series....

I don't think so, since it is pretty much well established by now that unlike the others, he has no trouble piloting Strelizia, Mitsuru almost died after trying to pilot it one time, but Hiro already did it twice without a scratch, so I really don't see any way how he could die

Yes, after 2 times he didnt have a scratch but thats not what im talking about, im talking about this

if what Hiro himself said is true then it still takes a toll on him just slower then others
Feb 3, 2018 12:11 PM

Apr 2015
Hibikase said:
everything else from the bland, unlikeable side characters to the unstable foundation on which the story and world is being set make me hesitant for fully trusting that the series can deliver on its potential. We still have no idea what the story is going to be about or what it is trying to say, and even less about what type of tone it is trying to establish. The narrative is a contrived mess in every sense of the word, and instead of taking time to set up intrigue, it goes stumbling forward thinking that the basic premise (teenagers piloting robots against monsters in a post-apocalyptic world) will keep a watcher immersed and interested.

Really? I got a lot out of these past 4 episodes, enough for me to rake my own brain instead of the show itself throwing tons of exposition this early on into my face.

Side-characters are a given as the main pair has to be established first in a way that they can perfectly co-exist next to each other without officials trying to separate them. We already know from the staff that side-character specific episodes are coming so there's that. Just gotta give it time.

About the story direction, don't know what to tell you. They pretty much told you twice "Will you run away with me?". What could that mean in a seemingly hierarchical society in which young people seem to have been reaped of any sense of personal intimacy and are deemed a failure if they can't live up to numbers which basically means for them to be "as good as dead"?

It's clear as day that shady stuff is going on in these places called "plantations" where apparently the general population if it even exists lives without any tracel of sunlight but these pilots do. This society is rotten to the core and 02 is aware of it resulting in her fleeing with Hiro and possibly the others ( maybe with Franxx's help? ). And this is only scratching the surface of what you could read from it so far.

I don't know where you were but all of its world building and background so far is very much built upon hints that evoke intrigue, if you notice them and connect the dots that is. Heck, the very first episode drives in the point that this won't hold up this facade of "teenagers fighting in robots against monsters" for too long.

About the narrative, seems quite clear to me. So far the narrative focuses on establishing the bond and officially acknowledged bond between Hiro & 02 which we know will succeed ( You see them in graduation outfits at the start of episode 1 under the cherry blossom trees ). Now that the main duo has overcome its doubts about each other and proven its worth which will lead to official acknowledgement the show has an in-worldly reason to let the characters all bounce off each other and move on to the actual plot.
Feb 3, 2018 12:16 PM

Apr 2016
"I feel myself going deeper inside you"
Yes bro yes, that's what we all want!
Amazing episode, I'm really glad that Hiro isn't Shinji 2.0
Feb 3, 2018 12:19 PM

Feb 2016
Anathor said:
See it didn't take long for the main pair to form. There might still be a few issues, since they sort of disobeyed orders and stuff; but we should be out of the prologue now.

I wonder if they will stay with the other guys or get sent to the frontlines though; would be nice to see how things are over there. I wouldn't mind if they take a Regios approach and just focus on this city moving around.

Probably they will stick together, but sure there will be some obstacles against team and struggles in-team

This episode is very good. Zero Two/Hiro duo is proved working, now what will those executives do? I guess, they will decide to send the whole team or only Strelizia to the front-lines.

The battle comes with a good reward; now characters are somehow working as a team and begin warmly bonding. There will be ups and downs between characters, but they showed that they could resolve, especially that speech of Hiro.

I still wonder how synchronization between Zero Two with Hiro or any other character in cockpit works; what is the process? How different Zero Two manifests even though the machines are similar?
Feb 3, 2018 12:22 PM

Feb 2016
uninstallthegame said:
HereticHunter said:

No Shit Sherlock, but I were referring to Ichigo's childhood selfishness over Hiro.

dude, would easily and without any second thoughts let go off your childhood friend and the person you like?
she is kind of selfish but it's not an over exaggeration. she's just genuinely worried about him and feared to lose him. it's a character development, can't see any harm in that

That's why I said "Teenage drama" in Quotes, I completely understand that and I'm okay with it, I were also pointing that out since most of people disliked that while referring it as "Edgy teenage drama" or something like that
~Blackwall
Feb 3, 2018 12:23 PM

Feb 2016
_Hans_ said:
HereticHunter said:

We'll see later what's the deal with that
~Blackwall
Feb 3, 2018 12:26 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
uninstallthegame said:
somebody needs to set a counter for the amount of sexual innuendos in this show

i don't like the fact that they broke the rules, but with a life like Hiro has you have nothing to lose anyway

That counter would reach triple digits in no time! The sexual innuendos and metaphors are the backbone of this show. It's all about intimacy and trusting your partner.

I'm a bit worried about the Stamens that Papa has prepared for 02 so we might be heading for some more angsty episodes in the future, but at least now Hiro has made his mind up.

I'm surprised that Strelizia works the same way as the others. I kinda assumed that 02 rides her guy, and not the other way around. She's the one in charge always.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 3, 2018 12:37 PM

Feb 2016
Fappa said:

About the story direction, don't know what to tell you. They pretty much told you twice "Will you run away with me?". What could that mean in a seemingly hierarchical society in which young people seem to have been reaped of any sense of personal intimacy and are deemed a failure if they can't live up to numbers which basically means for them to be "as good as dead"?

It's clear as day that shady stuff is going on in these places called "plantations" where apparently the general population if it even exists lives without any traces of sunlight but these pilots do. This society is rotten to the core and 02 is aware of it resulting in her fleeing with Hiro and possibly the others ( maybe with Franxx's help? ). And this is only scratching the surface of what you could read from it so far.

I agree what you said; those characters seem as victims of society in a barren planet. Zero Two might know more than any other citizen or character. Her saying 'Will you run away with me?' intrigues me. We don't know; Hiro doesn't know and Ichigo has to know what she feels is love (or envy ;P)
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

65 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Apr 24, 3:12 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 5, 2018

364 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Apr 23, 1:15 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 21, 2018

707 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Apr 23, 12:34 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2018

640 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Apr 22, 2:04 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2018

282 by louiboui08 »»
Apr 21, 6:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.