Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 29, 2018 5:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, that Ai Yashajin really wants to prove herself when it comes to shogi. She's a bit emotional as well.

Pretty much more of another buildup episode. Some awkward moments aside, I think Yaichi might be putting a lot more responsibility on his shoulders than he realizes.
Stark700Jan 29, 2018 7:06 AM
Jan 29, 2018 8:11 AM

Sep 2015
First to comment!

Ok, so this episode pretty much confirms that there is nothing really deep or smart about this series, and that it likes to use loli fanservice to an excessive extent. I teach kids all the fucking time, and I wouldn't make half of the dumbass mistakes Ryou did this episode. Excluding all the dumb ass rom-com jokes that aren't really cute as they are more in the area of pedophilia, the MC doesn't know the first thing about teaching anyone about anything.

Why the fuck did he blatantly tell one of his disciples that she was better than his other disciple? Why didn't he make the two face off at the beginning, and what was the point in hiding it from both of them? It's NOT like having multiple disciples is like cheating on a lover, even a fucking five year old knows that. It was all because the writer is so fucking stupid, that he can't write something interesting using his own fucking premise. He has to resort to misunderstandings?

Give me a fucking break.

Also, why the fuck did he tell Char that she'd be his wife?!?! THAT IS LITERALLY THE STUPIDEST THING YOU CAN DO IN THAT FUCKING SIMPLE SITUATION.

All he had to do was say "I am not taking you as a disciple, but you are allowed to come over and spar with Ai if you want."

This show is stupid.
Draconix814Jan 29, 2018 8:29 AM
Jan 29, 2018 8:14 AM

Apr 2016
A loli harem ?? xD
This show is definitely a feast for lolicon's eyes, lmao.
Jan 29, 2018 8:20 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Quite the odd request that Yaichi received though. Ai certainly has a arrogant attitude. Yaichi's accessment of this girl is interesting though. But wiping out her opponent in only two moves Ginko is scary. So new girl lost 5 times in a row eh. Yachi's idea though sure was crazy. Trying to balance Ai and her friends with the other Ai is going to be tricky. It didn't take long for Ai to figure out that her master was hiding something though. Ai's aura changes quite a lot when she's angry though. Man Yaichi sure encountered the worst possible scenario there though. The new girl sure is a game changer for the series though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 29, 2018 8:26 AM

Feb 2008
Interesting I had a feeling two of them meet in same episode but I would like actually see Ai and other Ai reaction for these, too bad until next week.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jan 29, 2018 8:51 AM

Jan 2018
Is Ai's Ahoge is lie detector? LOL.

When Ai requested Yaichi to teach her how to make a sound with Shogi piece, it remind me that Hidetchi also covered this in his channel too.
Jan 29, 2018 8:54 AM

Oct 2017
I was expecting him to get busted by Ai. I wonder if it will be Ai vs Ai next episode. He definitely screwed up when joking about havin Char be his bride. Interesting he is having her lose to make her stronger.
Jan 29, 2018 9:04 AM
Nov 2017
So what are we going to call New Ai to tell her apart from Ai Prime?
Jan 29, 2018 9:05 AM

Sep 2016
DarkAudit said:
"Better Ai" is fine
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 29, 2018 9:15 AM
Jan 2016
DarkAudit said:

The easiest way would probably to call them "Hai" and "Yai" :P
Though that's not very imaginative, I guess.
Jan 29, 2018 9:20 AM

Feb 2007
Oh, Yaichi, as good as you may be at shogi, in life you made so many bad decisions this time. From hiding the new disciple to offering to take another girl as your bride right in front of Ai... Yeah, I guess you have reason to shake like that now. :D
Jan 29, 2018 9:24 AM

Jun 2015
The new Ai is pretty good shogi, but she still needs to learn more. It's a shame what happened to her parents. There were some awkward moments in this episode like asking Char to be his bride.
Jan 29, 2018 9:26 AM
Jul 2018
Ok episode, much love to Char <3

But I'll gotta give this anime a 5 eventually.
Jan 29, 2018 9:28 AM

Sep 2015
Personally, I am loving the loli antics in this show. The type of comedy is not for everyone, but I think there was enough solid character development for me to legitimately enjoy the craziness of Ai, Char, Mio, and Ayano.

I am seriously enjoying this anime more than the other anime this season.
Jan 29, 2018 9:32 AM

May 2015
It was at this momment that the young Ryuo knew he F up! XD
Jan 29, 2018 9:44 AM
Jul 2017
What the hell was that bride request, caught me off guard so hard.
Jan 29, 2018 10:50 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Damn been a while since I saw a loli paradise as good as this, just wonderful <3

Plus the shogi aspect is actually pretty legit for once so that's great too

Not sure what the whole "please be my bride" sketch was about though, that felt pretty out of place
Jan 29, 2018 10:59 AM

Aug 2008
Get your shit together boy, they are gradeschoolers, how can you be so bad at handling fucking gradeschoolers. Contemporary education system almost wiped out master-disciple relationship, I was hoping to see some take on it in this anime but it's just another damn pedobait romcom. No wonder Japan is a demographic disaster.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 29, 2018 11:38 AM
Apr 2016
the anime is fine I guess
but we need char in every episode man
see soo cute
Jan 29, 2018 11:58 AM

May 2009
Draconix814 said:
I teach kids all the fucking time, and I wouldn't make half of the dumbass mistakes Ryou did this episode.

If you're used to, I hope for you you wouldn't then. :|

Draconix814 said:
Why the fuck did he blatantly tell one of his disciples that she was better than his other disciple?

He said she would have the advantage considering her knowledge about how to lead the game, that's all. oO

Draconix814 said:
Why didn't he make the two face off at the beginning, and what was the point in hiding it from both of them?

Apparently because he wanted her to step up before making them as rivals, I'd say.
He didn't hide the truth from Ai Y. but did for the other, because that would say he accept having "easily" an other disciple, while it was a mess for her to make him having one. (He also confirmed later she didn't like this idea.)

Draconix814 said:
It's NOT like having multiple disciples is like cheating on a lover, even a fucking five year old knows that.

Well, that's the just because Ai H. is easily jalous.

Draconix814 said:
Also, why the fuck did he tell Char that she'd be his wife?!?! THAT IS LITERALLY THE STUPIDEST THING YOU CAN DO IN THAT FUCKING SIMPLE SITUATION.

It's NOT like proposing a young child to ease her should be taken seriously, even a fucking twelve years old viewer knows that.
(But yeah, that was stupid and should be taken as a comic relief.)

Draconix814 said:
All he had to do was say "I am not taking you as a disciple, but you are allowed to come over and spar with Ai if you want."

But he still does tutor her.
Jan 29, 2018 12:14 PM

Sep 2013
Red Ai a cute, everyone is cute :)
Char will make good wife.
Ginko mind breaks her opponent who uses a bad opening move XD
Jan 29, 2018 12:40 PM

Sep 2015
Djidji said:

If you're used to, I hope for you you wouldn't then. :|

He said she would have the advantage considering her knowledge about how to lead the game, that's all. oO

Apparently because he wanted her to step up before making them as rivals, I'd say.
He didn't hide the truth from Ai Y. but did for the other, because that would say he accept having "easily" an other disciple, while it was a mess for her to make him having one. (He also confirmed later she didn't like this idea.)

Well, that's the just because Ai H. is easily jalous.

It's NOT like proposing a young child to ease her should be taken seriously, even a fucking twelve years old viewer knows that.
(But yeah, that was stupid and should be taken as a comic relief.)

But he still does tutor her.

I made less dumbass mistakes when I was thirteen years old and was doing it for the first time. :/

He said, "You're probably better, since you know how to navigate through the early stages of the match.", which blatantly implies that one is better than the other. Don't twist words around to fit your viewpoint.

I figured he would because that would be the logical thing to do right? However, there is no implication that he thought that far, especially since he did hide it from both of them. It's being set up as a plot point out of convenience instead of making narrative sense. And the only reason the other Ai knows about it is because her grandfather told her about the other disciple... do you even pay attention?

She's a nine-year-old, why is she jealous? (Because the author is a lolicon?)

If you also call it stupid then why are you calling me stupid for calling it stupid, that just makes you stupid.

Then why was the "comic relief" (creepy lolicon jokes) necessary, if he didn't even need to think up of a complex response in the first place? That is what you call a leap in logic for the sake of convenience, just like what you are doing now in an awful attempt at trying to criticise my criticisms.
Jan 29, 2018 12:50 PM

Jan 2014
This anime had me until the blatant transphobia this episode. It honestly was uncalled for and distasteful.

Note: Even if someone isn't trans and they're rather gender non-conforming/breaking gender stereotypes, calling them an "it" and making a big deal about what their gender is and being just rude af about it is still transphobic. I'm disappointed.
Jan 29, 2018 12:52 PM

Apr 2013
Another Ai, I like the new disciple. The scene with Char was funny and cute too. I don't know where this series is going though lol

Jan 29, 2018 12:52 PM

Dec 2009
Draconix814 said:
First to comment!

Ok, so this episode pretty much confirms that there is nothing really deep or smart about this series, and that it likes to use loli fanservice to an excessive extent. I teach kids all the fucking time, and I wouldn't make half of the dumbass mistakes Ryou did this episode. Excluding all the dumb ass rom-com jokes that aren't really cute as they are more in the area of pedophilia, the MC doesn't know the first thing about teaching anyone about anything.

Why the fuck did he blatantly tell one of his disciples that she was better than his other disciple? Why didn't he make the two face off at the beginning, and what was the point in hiding it from both of them? It's NOT like having multiple disciples is like cheating on a lover, even a fucking five year old knows that. It was all because the writer is so fucking stupid, that he can't write something interesting using his own fucking premise. He has to resort to misunderstandings?

Give me a fucking break.

This show is stupid.

God this is the most ignorant and hateful post I've read in awhile. I can assure you the series is pretty deep and covers the shogi world extremely well as the plot moves forward, it didn't win awards in Japan for nothing. You'll be quite surprised once we reach volume 3 of the light novels where the drama and tension of the matches hits an all time high. Though honestly it sounds like you should drop it because you obviously hate lolis and jokes revolving around them (it's not the main focus of the show but there ARE lolis so you'll have to get used to that).
Jan 29, 2018 12:58 PM

Dec 2009
Jotakak said:
This anime had me until the blatant transphobia this episode. It honestly was uncalled for and distasteful.

Note: Even if someone isn't trans and they're rather gender non-conforming/breaking gender stereotypes, calling them an "it" and making a big deal about what their gender is and being just rude af about it is still transphobic. I'm disappointed.

Sadly this is just the mindset of most of Japan and the norm for them. Most anime don't know how to deal with LGBTQ people or issues. It had bad moments but it doesn't overall ruin the anime unless it constantly hit you over the head with it over and over until the very end of the series (Even Naruto made similar jokes during filler episodes years ago. It's that common in anime).
Jan 29, 2018 1:01 PM

Sep 2015
Aiko_Hiroshi said:
Draconix814 said:
First to comment!

Give me a fucking break.

This show is stupid.

God this is the most ignorant and hateful post I've read in awhile. I can assure you the series is pretty deep and covers the shogi world extremely well as the plot moves forward, it didn't win awards in Japan for nothing. You'll be quite surprised once we reach volume 3 of the light novels where the drama and tension of the matches hits an all time high. Though honestly it sounds like you should drop it because you obviously hate lolis and jokes revolving around them (it's not the main focus of the show but there ARE lolis so you'll have to get used to that).

I'll be there to experience it... But that doesn't mean my comment was hateful and ignorant, I was ranting on how inconsistent the logic was (and used some curse words), but I don't hate the series. I don't hate loli's either, if I did, I wouldn't be a fan of NisiOisiN which is basically the second biggest lolicon in the anime industry- I don't know who the first one is :/ The problem is that Ryou doesn't know how to fanservice.
Jan 29, 2018 1:08 PM

Jan 2014
Aiko_Hiroshi said:
Jotakak said:

Sadly this is just the mindset of most of Japan and the norm for them. Most anime don't know how to deal with LGBTQ people or issues. It had bad moments but it doesn't overall ruin the anime unless it constantly hit you over the head with it over and over until the very end of the series (Even Naruto made similar jokes during filler episodes years ago. It's that common in anime).

But when it involves the main character, it starts to make me dislike that character which in turn, can make the rest of the series hard to like. Granted, it was mostly that bitch so as long as it doesn't continue, I can just pretend this episode never existed.
Jan 29, 2018 1:25 PM

Dec 2009
Draconix814 said:
Aiko_Hiroshi said:

I'll be there to experience it... But that doesn't mean my comment was hateful and ignorant, I was ranting on how inconsistent the logic was (and used some curse words), but I don't hate the series. I don't hate loli's either, if I did, I wouldn't be a fan of NisiOisiN which is basically the second biggest lolicon in the anime industry- I don't know who the first one is :/ The problem is that Ryou doesn't know how to fanservice.

Eh I think the series has been fine on the "fanservice" since so far it's more comedy then anything else. NisiOisiN is way more on the sexual front in terms of fanservice (nothing wrong with that in the slightest either).
Jan 29, 2018 1:34 PM

Sep 2015
Aiko_Hiroshi said:
Draconix814 said:

Eh I think the series has been fine on the "fanservice" since so far it's more comedy then anything else. NisiOisiN is way more on the sexual front in terms of fanservice (nothing wrong with that in the slightest either).

But fanservice is still fanservice, whether it is used for comedy and/or to sexually entice the viewer, it still needs a reason to exist, just like anything else. That's why I brought up NisiOisiN here, because he does all types of fanservice the correct way, by giving it narrative weight in his story. If you take all the fanservice out of Ryou no Oshigoto, what difference would it make in the story? Couldn't they do everything they did without the situation being contrived? That is my problem with Ryou's use of fanservice- it doesn't need to be there for the story to be properly told, and is just extra baggage.
Jan 29, 2018 1:58 PM

Mar 2016
Next Episode: Loli Harem Carnage

would've been nice if the anime is only focusing on the shogi aspects and elements... oh well.

this anime has turned a lot of characters into girls or loli

favorite dialogue: "Grade Schoolers... don't you like them?"
evidence: "I can't make you my disciple, but you can be my bride" ... gold
Jan 29, 2018 2:07 PM

Feb 2007
Djidji said:
He also confirmed later she didn't like this idea.

Well, he thought so, in any case. It's pretty obvious that what Ai really didn't like was the bride part, not the disciple part.
Jan 29, 2018 2:33 PM
Mar 2015
A second Ai joins Ryuu's loli harem
Jan 29, 2018 2:40 PM

Jul 2014

Facepalm...
Really? You had to say that? xD
SkyLETVJan 29, 2018 5:22 PM
Jan 29, 2018 3:02 PM

May 2009
@Draconix814
Well, maybe. Good for you.

But first, why would they both be equal anyway? I'm curious. In a match, one will be better than the other, no? It's not like he is depreciating his disciple, he even said firmly she is strong. What bother you about that fact?

Then you're twisting your words concerning Ai Y. He didn't hide it, at most he didn't mention it. See, there is a difference between his reaction facing Ai H and Ai Y... do you even pay attention?
There is no reason he had to. Why would that be the logical thing to do?

Because she is fond of him as a person? A nine years old girl can be jealous, you know?

Sarcasm. ;)

To chill and for Ai H reaction (as viewers). That's stupid because his way of answering was so as well, and how they portrayed the scene. I wonder if, for you, the scene relies more on the "let's please lolicons" or on his stupid reaction. I was looking for the later.
I don't get why looking for something clever and logical in a stupid reaction, but eh, why not?

Well, your criticism sounds mostly childish or close-minded (or easily triggered by the show? ^^), so I couldn't help. I'm just answering your points and you're not happy cause I disagree with you on some. We just had different expectation I guess.

luinthoron said:
Djidji said:
He also confirmed later she didn't like this idea.

Well, he thought so, in any case. It's pretty obvious that what Ai really didn't like was the bride part, not the disciple part.

Both part actually. ^^
She looked relieved when he said he couldn't make her his disciple.
Jan 29, 2018 3:17 PM
Aug 2014
What the fuck happened to MAL?? This discussion is full of SJWs...

Do yourself a favor and stop watching anime please.
Jan 29, 2018 4:18 PM

Sep 2015
Djidji said:
@Draconix814
Well, maybe. Good for you.

But first, why would they both be equal anyway? I'm curious. In a match, one will be better than the other, no? It's not like he is depreciating his disciple, he even said firmly she is strong. What bother you about that fact?

Then you're twisting your words concerning Ai Y. He didn't hide it, at most he didn't mention it. See, there is a difference between his reaction facing Ai H and Ai Y... do you even pay attention?
There is no reason he had to. Why would that be the logical thing to do?

Because she is fond of him as a person? A nine years old girl can be jealous, you know?

Sarcasm. ;)

To chill and for Ai H reaction (as viewers). That's stupid because his way of answering was so as well, and how they portrayed the scene. I wonder if, for you, the scene relies more on the "let's please lolicons" or on his stupid reaction. I was looking for the later.
I don't get why looking for something clever and logical in a stupid reaction, but eh, why not?

Well, your criticism sounds mostly childish or close-minded (or easily triggered by the show? ^^), so I couldn't help. I'm just answering your points and you're not happy cause I disagree with you on some. We just had different expectation I guess.

Ok so let's be open-minded about this:

Why does it bother me? Ok let's refer to teaching 101: When a teacher teaches multiple students, the worst thing said teacher can do (besides not teach cuz that's pretty bad) is a thing called favoritism. Favoritism discourages students from improving and can potentially give the favored students false confidence. Teachers need to give positive attention and advice to each student equally- that's not to say that they should ignore skill level, but the situation he is in doesn't call for it. If Ai Prime won against Ai in a match and Ryou decided to say "Ai, you're getting worse as a player, if you don't buck up and try harder you're never going to succeed!", that's called encouragement, even if its a bit on the tough side. Here, Ryou flat out says, that Ai Prime is better than Ai in blatant terms. (Do you see the problem now?)
Besides, even if he does know the skill levels of both of his disciples, he won't know for sure who would win, without actually seeing them go at it- it's called chemistry between the players. Saying that one is better than the other without being definitely sure is reckless, combined with all the other mistakes he did in the episode (both in regards to teaching and just in general) paints him as ignorant.

"You called me stupid so I called you stupid back!" is what you sound like right here. I was paying attention. He didn't tell Ai Prime, so when she confronted him about it in blatant terms, it's not like he could deny it. Besides look at your own words and realize that you didn't explain a single thing about why there is a difference in his reactions in regards to both his disciples.
This is what you said:

This would be the logical thing to do, but as I said, there are no indications that such went through his mind.

Of course a nine-year-old can be jealous if she has a crush on someone she looks up to... Actually, it doesn't really work that way either. You see, love (although that is what "Ai" translates to) is not something a nine-year-old can properly understand, even if she idolizes Ryou. She doesn't love him, she idolizes him- but more than that, she already has the respect and attention of Ryou (it's not like the Ryou is neglecting her or anything) and has formed a mutual friendship (if you can call it that). Since she is not in love with Ryou, she wouldn't expect more. But the author is a lolicon, so he needs to treat this as if Ai is his girlfriend instead of a student, having her move in and get jealous whenever he 'sees' someone else. (See the problem now?)

Since sarcasm is meant to highlight a point by using indirect wording, repetition of whatever the point is trying to comment on, and excessive use of explanations to emphasize said point, you utterly failed at sarcasm.
Not to mention, your point was still stupid and you even contradicted yourself directly thereafter.

Unfortunately, even stupid reactions need to make logical sense. Okay, so if the author of Hyouka wanted to make a stupid comedy scene that made logical sense that involved Oreki and Chitanda getting into some situation you would find in a typical romantic comedy- which is better?
OKay, so the scenario is that Oreki and Chitanda are on a cruise because Chitanda's parents are rich and she decided to invite the entire group because they're her friends. By some happenstance, Oreki decides he wants to take a shower, but finds Chitanda coming out right when he walks in.
Which would Oreki do?
1. Oreki screams out "I'm sorry, I'll take responsibility for seeing you naked and marry you!"
or
2. Oreki, being the awkward loner he is, rushes out of the bathroom with his eyes closed and slams the door, afterward apologizing for seeing her naked and not noticing she was in the bathroom.

I didn't necessarily create the most compelling scenario, but I hope I highlighted a single point here for you- that even though in both scenarios the author decided to make a stupid fanservice joke for the kicks, one reaction makes logical sense in relation to Oreki's character, and the other is just incoherent. (You see the problem now?)

In regards to the Ryou, it wouldn't make logical sense for him to randomly shout out "be my bride!" if he was seriously in a pinch like the show wants to make it out to be. But even as a joke, asking a nine-year-old to be your bride out of nowhere is kinda creepy, done the opposite way- with the nine-year-old asking the Ryou to marry her- is kind of cute. No matter if it was intended to be a joke or not, it was still poorly done.

Only childish and close-minded critics call other critics childish and close-minded. Open-minded critics do their best to convince others by showing them their logic before they criticize others for the lack of it- that's when they are confident in their own opinions. Close-minded critics don't change their opinion no matter what, and they don't give many reasons why they think the way they do. That is because close-minded people don't want to consider any part of their opinion as false and will often avoid the discussion entirely. They also have a tendency to simplify actions made by others like they have no greater meaning to them.

Yeah, I suppose we just had different expectations... It's not like I was expecting it to abide by the basics of good storytelling or anything.

[P.S. I don't know how you think Gintama is on the same level as this trash, but whatever. I've done enough of dissecting your opinions for one day.]
Draconix814Jan 29, 2018 4:29 PM
Jan 29, 2018 4:35 PM
Jun 2017
NO ONE CAN REJECT CHAR!!! hahaha... instead of being a disciple, he said he will made Char his bride!!! hahahaha...

and that last scene its gonna be so interesting... i gonna love seeing Ai vs Ai on next shogi match
Jan 29, 2018 5:40 PM
Jan 2018
MAL is such a peaceful place to talk about the anime, I really love this site.
Jan 29, 2018 5:43 PM

Apr 2011
Dat cliffhanger hahaha

---

Also daheck is with all these long comments, sorry no time to read em xD
Jan 29, 2018 5:54 PM

Dec 2009
Draconix814 said:
Aiko_Hiroshi said:

But fanservice is still fanservice, whether it is used for comedy and/or to sexually entice the viewer, it still needs a reason to exist, just like anything else. That's why I brought up NisiOisiN here, because he does all types of fanservice the correct way, by giving it narrative weight in his story. If you take all the fanservice out of Ryou no Oshigoto, what difference would it make in the story? Couldn't they do everything they did without the situation being contrived? That is my problem with Ryou's use of fanservice- it doesn't need to be there for the story to be properly told, and is just extra baggage.

If you honestly think every bit of fanservice has a reason to exist in the Monogatari series then there's no reasoning with you at all. Let's agree to disagree.
Jan 29, 2018 5:55 PM

May 2009
@Draconix814
Nice, but there is no favoritism here, case closed. (If ever she was favored, except for her screen time, I'd like to know where.)
Of course, there could be unexpected development in a match, but on paper, she is supposed to be stronger (even if not that much).
If he had add pointless stuff like "if you want to stay stronger than her, you better work hard to!", you wouldn't have say so, I guess?

Well, on the one hand, there is Ai H, asking what he is doing on his Saturdays and find him suspicious. She implied he's hiding something from her after pointing his bad habit. Then, he did hide/cover the truth.
With Ai Y, I doesn't try to hide anything.
I thought it was clear enough. One is hiding by not telling while the other is not bother mentioning but don't hide.

Well, that's my interpretation.
When Sora tell Ryuuou Ai's weakening, he said (to us) he needs to find her a rival. Come just after the scene when Ryuuou wants Ai Y to build up experience because textbook knowledge is not enough and so she will learn tricks. He implies later she could become a monster too.

You rather meant she shouldn't? But she was like that from day – or rather episode – one.
Meaning, if his disciple was like one or two years younger than the MC, it wouldn't be a problem? Your make look like what bother you is the lolicon part and not the yandere part.

xD
Don't mind, don't mind.

Indeed, your scenario was no good.
Let's make the "logical sense" clear. Char want to be his disciple. But he can't say he want, and at the same time, he does not want her to be sad – because noone would want Char to be, obviously. The scene focus on Ryuuou trying his best to find the best move, the one which will reverse the situation (shogi-poi!) while showing a mighty dragon (ryuu) and he DID find something that fit what he was looking for! But! Yes, it was a stupid proposition! The opposition between the serious moment and the stupid outcome, yet which worked on Char, is what made the joke (then followed up by the yandere act).
But, in the end, we both know he wasn't serious about her being her real bride. Or maybe he really did xD, but I didn't take it like that.

Well, if you ask me to answer with more justification, I will do it, but I won't when people are just making statements, and that was what your first comment was about. You can be open-minded and stick to your positions as long as you still find them fair. Being open-minded would be finding your spokesperson understandable and/or fair.
But the way you're answering sounds like "I decided it was like that".

About your P.S., I don't know how you're knowing the way I'm doing my rating. oO
If you call Ryuuou "trash", does that mean all the anime you rated with 6 (which is "fine" according to MAL) or less are trash or worse than trash? x)
Jan 29, 2018 5:55 PM
Mar 2016
Draconix814 said:

Only childish and close-minded critics call other critics childish and close-minded. Open-minded critics do their best to convince others by showing them their logic before they criticize others for the lack of it- that's when they are confident in their own opinions. Close-minded critics don't change their opinion no matter what, and they don't give many reasons why they think the way they do. That is because close-minded people don't want to consider any part of their opinion as false and will often avoid the discussion entirely. They also have a tendency to simplify actions made by others like they have no greater meaning to them.

Yeah, I suppose we just had different expectations... It's not like I was expecting it to abide by the basics of good storytelling or anything.

[P.S. I don't know how you think Gintama is on the same level as this trash, but whatever. I've done enough of dissecting your opinions for one day.]

Well, for someone priding on being open-minded, you certainly are trying to shut down other people's opinions instead. Surely it is more hypocritical of you to dismiss others so flatly. And before you fend yourself by saying that others are accusing you of being close-minded, perhaps you should be able to see yourself as well as how you see this series?

And perhaps you haven't realized, but at 16, the protagonist isn't exactly the wisest out there, especially one who had never planned to be a teacher in the first place. Expecting every single character to act as rationally and perfectly as you are means a pretty boring story, I feel.

Seeing how this perfect you is the first to post in this thread immediately after the OP, I could have sworn that your attitude is to just deride everything you hate. That's not being open-minded, that's just shutting others down for your own deluded sense of superiority.

Hell_pingJan 29, 2018 5:59 PM
Jan 29, 2018 6:08 PM

Sep 2011
I feel like two people wrote this series - one person is competent and the other is a dangerous pedophile who is threatening to stab the other writer if they don't get their way. There is nothing wrong with having a loli cast, but the fact that the guy keeps putting himself into these stupid situations cannot be overlooked.
Jan 29, 2018 6:08 PM

Sep 2015
Hell_ping said:
Draconix814 said:

Well, for someone priding on being open-minded, you certainly are trying to shut down other people's opinions instead. Surely it is more hypocritical of you to dismiss others so flatly. And before you fend yourself by saying that others are accusing you of being close-minded, perhaps you should be able to see yourself as well as how you see this series?

And perhaps you haven't realized, but at 16, the protagonist isn't exactly the wisest out there, especially one who had never planned to be a teacher in the first place. Expecting every single character to act as rationally and perfectly as you are means a pretty boring story, I feel.

Seeing how this perfect you is the first to post in this thread immediately after the OP, I could have sworn that your attitude is to just deride everything you hate. That's not being open-minded, that's just shutting others down for your own deluded sense of superiority.

Eh? My bad, I just got offended because you know I love Gintama and I almost hate this series now that I thought about it this much. I will do better next time.

But I should add that I wasn't dismissing people flatly, but when arguments made against me have no or few merits to them, I have a right to criticize them.

If he was characterized as unwise and immature, then I would accept it. That said, he is supposed to be a respected master of his art, thus he is supposed to symbolize wisdom and/ or maturity in this setting. A blatant contradiction.

I probably do have a superiority issue, but honestly, I don't get the chance to post first many times, so that's why I jumped on it as quick as I can...
Draconix814Jan 29, 2018 6:17 PM
Jan 29, 2018 6:14 PM

Sep 2015
Aiko_Hiroshi said:
Draconix814 said:

If you honestly think every bit of fanservice has a reason to exist in the Monogatari series then there's no reasoning with you at all. Let's agree to disagree.

Says the person who didn't do any "reasoning", but whatever. I was referring to Monogatari's themes on sexuality being a primary focus- as we are seeing things through Araragi's eyes, those that he finds attractive would definitely have more fanservice scenes than others, even when the situation (in context) doesn't exactly call for it- but yeah, let's agree to disagree then. I just didn't want you to misunderstand.
Jan 29, 2018 6:16 PM
Mar 2016
He is a respected master of shogi, but he's not street smart at all. That's the problem with him, matured at shogi, immature at everything else. Whatever he thinks is appropriate ends up coming out wrong.

Take for example episode 2, when Ginko showed up at his place. The only reason why she did (not in anime) was because Yaichi stupidly texted Keika saying that he had lolis staying over at his house, and Keika messaged Ginko.

This isn't just a problem limited to him, it goes to many idiot hero protagonists.

Jan 29, 2018 6:19 PM

Jan 2015
is MC retarded? who would choose to suggest a grade schooler to be your bride as a good alternative? ANd wow that end, got busted lol, its like his true loli wife found out he is cheating on her with another loli wife.
Also im sure its more popular in Japan since different culture and all, but it just shows how culture influences which anime you love. Since atm i think most people just feel uncomfortable as heck watching this. I mean i think he would be arrested in our world,not in japan apparently.

Anyway on another note, does anyone feel that when Ryouu was with other Ai in those sunglasses, he looked like Kotarou(rewrite) at the very least he looked totally different from Ryouu in his usual outfit.
Jan 29, 2018 6:22 PM

Sep 2015
Djidji said:

About your P.S., I don't know how you're knowing the way I'm doing my rating. oO
If you call Ryuuou "trash", does that mean all the anime you rated with 6 (which is "fine" according to MAL) or less are trash or worse than trash? x)

Honestly, it's just how shit my rating system is, sometimes I can't even figure it out myself XP
I rated it a six because I still think that it can get better even though the chance is slim. If the trash stays consistent or gets trashier without substance, then I'll rate it a 5 or 4 respectively.
Jan 29, 2018 6:32 PM

Sep 2017
Loli harem is the best harem. That cliffhanger actually got me pretty good. I was really looking forward to Ai-one's reaction.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2018

112 by WELLERM »»
Dec 16, 2023 6:58 PM

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2018

68 by WELLERM »»

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2018

104 by WELLERM »»

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 5, 2018

65 by WELLERM »»

Poll: » Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2018

62 by WELLERM »»
Dec 16, 2023 6:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.