Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 13, 2018 12:21 AM

Jul 2017
Really good. I just love fantasy slice of life and this was adorable. The world seems interesting, with a lot of care put on its details. And the mood was so relaxing and sweet...
Jan 13, 2018 1:36 AM

May 2015
TheServant said:
That was a simple episode. Simple characterization, simple plot, simple interaction, basically everything was so simplistic. It's so simplistic it's like watching little kids' show. Unfortunate, really.

Kittens-kun said:
Can somebody tell me why the score is continuing to fall?

Probably because many people did not enjoy the first episode.

_MushiRock11_ said:
Personally, the watercolor animation style is something I adore, and it’s nice to see Lerche get this right on the mark.

The paint-like visual style was definitely the highlight. It made the overall atmosphere so serene.

Haven't seen any of this disappointment though.

Jan 13, 2018 1:52 AM

Dec 2014
QuattroVaginas said:
Where do I buy a Mikochi?

Perfect expression too
Jan 13, 2018 2:00 AM
Apr 2017
Not as beautiful as I anticipated, but still very decent.
Pretty good overall
Jan 13, 2018 2:11 AM
Jan 2016
This episode was so cute, warm and C O M F Y... this is the obligatory anime of the season
Jan 13, 2018 2:44 AM
Oct 2017
THE MAILPERSON WAS A GRASSHOPPER
Their voices are so soft
Everything was so nice
It cured my depression
11/10 super wholesome
Jan 13, 2018 3:26 AM
Jan 2016
Kittens-kun said:
Haven't seen any of this disappointment though.

Maybe they're silent about it.
Jan 13, 2018 3:54 AM
May 2013
This show is so cute and heartwarming I cried. Gorgeous watercolor backgrounds and lovable characters, I can tell this one will be very dear to my heart.
Jan 13, 2018 3:56 AM

Oct 2007
So, everyone can talk - bugs, frogs, the penguin(?) in the market - but the bird in the first segment can't? Weird.

Overall, pretty nice.
Jan 13, 2018 4:30 AM

Oct 2008
I approve also on this SoL show!
Such cute adorable little things! i mean these tiny girls!
All the bugs and creatures are humongous!
4/5.

Jan 13, 2018 4:39 AM

Oct 2013
Very nice and relaxing. Both halves of the episode were enjoyable. The story of Kafu, the minestrone-eating kite, and the visit to the harbor market were filled with compelling details. One thing struck me as a funny - various different kinds of animals - mammals, birds, amphibians, insects - could speak or were portrayed as sentient, except fish and octopi, which could be devoured at the convenience of the pixies!
Jan 13, 2018 6:48 AM

Jun 2016
That was a very cute first episode. The girls omfg how old are they really? So, they're all moe? Haha. So kawaii. In love with the animation, tbh, it looks so good. Love the ED, too. :)

Will continue watching this. 5/5. <3

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 13, 2018 7:01 AM

Dec 2016
Kind of boring, but hey if it goes dark like the other shows, like Made in Abyss and Girls' Last Tour then maybe I'll come back but I don't think it's going to come to that
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 13, 2018 7:25 AM
Nov 2013
I really liked the first episode, but I think I'll wait until it finishes airing and then see it once in a while to relax. It was seriously cozy and also kind of interesting. This one had the perfect mixture of cozyness, warmth and engagement for me. Some of this types of anime bore me to death, but this one captivated me.

I don't really like the chibi style (I don't like chibi style that much unless it's for short periods of time) but the kind of adventuresque feeling it gives is something I love. This one would work pretty well after a long day of work. I would probably go to sleep right after watching it if I was tired.

I was thinking of skipping this one, but a video showing bits of the pv kind of won me over and I gave it a try. It was worth it. A really really nice touch was that only the people were chibis. I mean, even the peanut was huge. Some animals were several times larger than them. I was kind of expecting everything to be small, as if they lived in a miniature world, so I really liked that they left the rest of the world as it is and only the "people" (what are they actually? Fairies?) are small.
Jan 13, 2018 7:28 AM

Nov 2015
It's my first SoL show, so I don't have much in the way of expectations, but it's pretty cute, and I love the setting, so I'll keep up with it I suppose.

TheFreycook said:
Kind of boring, but hey if it goes dark like the other shows, like Made in Abyss and Girls' Last Tour then maybe I'll come back but I don't think it's going to come to that

Not everything has to be Madoka Harold.
Jan 13, 2018 7:33 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
TheServant said:
That was a simple episode. Simple characterization, simple plot, simple interaction, basically everything was so simplistic. It's so simplistic it's like watching little kids' show. Unfortunate, really.

Kittens-kun said:

Probably because many people did not enjoy the first episode.

_MushiRock11_ said:
Personally, the watercolor animation style is something I adore, and it’s nice to see Lerche get this right on the mark.

The paint-like visual style was definitely the highlight. It made the overall atmosphere so serene.

I know right. It was very pleasing indeed to see that.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 13, 2018 7:35 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
sandykho47 said:
Interesting, simple and enjoyable. I hope it won't be boring later.

_MushiRock11_ said:
Nice, enjoyable and a very relaxing first episode. Personally, the watercolor animation style is something I adore, and it’s nice to see Lerche get this right on the mark.

Glad it’s going to get an extra special episode later on too, and with all that let’s hope this show proves to be as good as Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryoukou of last season.

I doubt it's comparable with Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryoukou since they have different genre.

I know. I meant like as good a Slice of Life show as Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryoukou.
Of course that doesn’t mean I have high expectations for this show however.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 13, 2018 9:10 AM

Feb 2013
Pleasant, but boring.

I think I'll pass on this one.
Jan 13, 2018 9:23 AM

Jul 2012
So relaxing! It reminds me one of my favorite Ghibli Movies too.
I really love how it looks like it is from a fairy tale, like I'm opening a storybook.
Also, this type of fantasy (more fairy tale-ish) is something I don't remember seeing a lot in anime...I think I watched one when I was reaaaaally young but don't remember the name (Popolocrois or something like that?).
taynisJan 13, 2018 9:34 AM

Jan 13, 2018 9:52 AM

Oct 2010
vellabrown said:
but i really have two questions now. first, whats the official name of this show? the original japanese manga name is Hakumei and Mikochi, but i saw an english title like tiny little life in the woods. and second, is hakumei male or female? in synopsis it said "two girls", but it appears like hakumei has a boy voice(i mean original japanese dub).

AFAIK the "Tiny Little Life in the Woods" English subtitle was always on the Japanese manga, like SnK had "Attack on Titan" from the beginning. Yes, Hakumei is a girl. :)

Zelev said:
Oops. This whole time I thought MC was a guy until I read the synopsis.

That's a thing - characters assume she's male.

sandykho47 said:
_MushiRock11_ said:
Let’s hope this show proves to be as good as Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryoukou of last season.

I doubt it's comparable with Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryoukou since they have different genre.

They're both iyashikei. I felt the manga were fairly similar, only with polar opposite surroundings - HakuMiko is teeming with life where SSR had silent ambience.

I read a couple of volumes of both before either anime started and for me, SSR manga is an 8, HakuMiko is a 10. That said, people whose favorite aspect of SSR was it being "deep" ("maybe 'life' means something that has an end" and such) might be disappointed.

Kittens-kun said:

It's doing about what I expected based on the first episode. After it bottoms out it'll rise again, gradually. I think SSR started around 7.5, 7.6? And it's 8.19 now. Everyone says the HakuMiko manga gets better and better as it goes. I expect that after the season ends, this show will be in the high 7s if not higher.

redtailrav said:
One thing struck me as a funny - various different kinds of animals - mammals, birds, amphibians, insects - could speak or were portrayed as sentient, except fish and octopi, which could be devoured at the convenience of the pixies!

Yeah, I think I commented that on the manga. In real life, octopi are very intelligent. :D
Jan 13, 2018 10:35 AM

Jun 2013
That cute T_T
Understand show this season
Jan 13, 2018 10:53 AM
Dec 2017
one my top anime of the season besides Cardcaptor sakura 💖
it's true that i'm a huge fan of made in abyss. But after watching this anime, I realized that we need more of this! anime with little kids are so unique :D The only reason why it's such low rating becuz weaboo scumbags don't know good pure shit like this! i'm glad it's a hidden gem :)
Jan 13, 2018 11:01 AM

Jan 2016
This was really cute and I love the backgrounds and character designs. I didn't know this was going to be episodic, but I'll keep watching since the characters are cute. I like the concept too.
Jan 13, 2018 11:45 AM

Feb 2010
wzf size are those tomatoes. Seriously the proportions in this were all over the place and it kinda hindered immersion. If you're gonna make the tiny setting the seeling point of your idea at least kinda try to keep it consistent with the sizes of the rest of the things. But they are smaller than a beetle and still bigger than tomatoes? This kinda stuff is just unnecessary sloppiness imo. Consistent sizes is one of the most important thing in animation.

Also found it funny how they just used a tiny version of the Yen instead of some original currency for their tiny society. Lack of imagination on the part of the creator?

So yeah I really want to like this, I like the idea and the visuals and the atmosphere but something about the execution of the setting just seems very half-assed to me which is pretty unfortunate because of how little effort it would take to fix that and make it feel more organic and real. If it cared a bit more about this aspect it could be a really nice watch, but as of now I'm having mixed feelings.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 13, 2018 12:50 PM
Jul 2014
Pullman said:
wzf size are those tomatoes. Seriously the proportions in this were all over the place and it kinda hindered immersion. If you're gonna make the tiny setting the seeling point of your idea at least kinda try to keep it consistent with the sizes of the rest of the things. But they are smaller than a beetle and still bigger than tomatoes? This kinda stuff is just unnecessary sloppiness imo. Consistent sizes is one of the most important thing in animation.

There are small tomatoes
and large beetles.
Both of these, especially for Japan, are pretty common.
Jan 13, 2018 1:08 PM

May 2015
Pullman said:

Also found it funny how they just used a tiny version of the Yen instead of some original currency for their tiny society. Lack of imagination on the part of the creator?

So yeah I really want to like this, I like the idea and the visuals and the atmosphere but something about the execution of the setting just seems very half-assed to me which is pretty unfortunate because of how little effort it would take to fix that and make it feel more organic and real. If it cared a bit more about this aspect it could be a really nice watch, but as of now I'm having mixed feelings.

Talk about nitpicking.

Jan 13, 2018 1:25 PM

May 2015
It seems like a nice show with cute characters but a bit too nice on the verge of being boring. And I was kinda hoping for more beautiful and detailed backgrounds. The style with flashing frames started to get on my nerves at some point. The bird part was good but overall I didn't enjoy the episode.
Jan 13, 2018 1:30 PM

Feb 2010
SunnyAslan said:
Pullman said:

There are small tomatoes
and large beetles.

I know small tomatoes and I've seen dozens of different strands of them before in local gardens here but I just didn't know they existed in sizes smaller than a fingernail, that's indeed news to me. I'm used to the smallest ones still being a few times that size. Definitely interesting to know tho, thx. Basically makes them look like currants.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 13, 2018 1:39 PM
Dec 2017
The place at 15:15-15:30 was featured on an ARIA tankobon cover art. It's called Gunkanjima (Battleship Island), I think.

By the way, did it occur to anybody that an 500 yen coin small enough for use by these peanut-sized girls would be too tiny to press head and tail into it?
Jan 13, 2018 3:28 PM

Oct 2012
Pretty interesting world-building, we were introduced to all the society of those tiny (10cm like) creatures. And it was heartwarming too. One would say kodomo anime but not quite.

Too bad Hakumei is a girl too, for half an episode I thought she's a man, and the anime would probably worked better... not that it's bad or something but boy-girl would be more interesting. Guess she stays tomboy then. Also, guess they are both adults it seems?

Seems interesting enough, gotta keep watching this (and not only for Yuuki Aoi and Anzai Chika characters yet to be introduced, this series definitely has some potential).
Jan 13, 2018 5:53 PM
Mar 2012
next chibi girls tour? It's quite calm & beautiful, but not much comedy, more on world building & sol.
Hakumei's hair shading is fantastic. Oh Kafu needs to come back.
oh the music
Jan 13, 2018 6:00 PM

Apr 2013
I absolutely loved everything about the first episode. It feels refreshing. The original designs are simplistic but down to earth. The CVs fit wonderfully. And the comic-like style transitions feel kinda like a visual novel or a motion comic. I love it.

10/10

Jan 13, 2018 7:44 PM

Oct 2010
SunnyAslan said:
Pullman said:

There are small tomatoes https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PhImFJBt9rc/maxresdefault.jpg
and large beetles. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qO9PnKLOYxQ/Ts7uSfPrXOI/AAAAAAAAAjs/JVn94gu1q64/s1600/rhinoceros+beetle3.jpg

And the goliath beetles the girls hire are even bigger than that :) They're native to Africa, but since this is a fantasy world, the author can pull in animals from anywhere.

Here's a chapter-end info sheet about the beetles:

The worldbuilding is very detailed.
Jan 13, 2018 8:14 PM
Jul 2018
I'm glad this turned out well. The voice acting is good, despite the VAs for Hakumei and Mikochi having few roles.
Jan 13, 2018 11:57 PM

Jul 2017
I initially thought Hakumei was a guy, was about to ship 'him' with Mikochi. In any case, I like what I'm seeing from these two cute girls, comfy and would definitely follow their story with great interest. 8/10 for this ep.
Jan 14, 2018 10:42 AM

Nov 2016
While it looks pretty, I thought it was rather boring and I wasn't really able to get into it,maybe I'm going to give episode 2 a chance.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 14, 2018 12:12 PM

Jul 2015
Let us now pray that no bird comes down tryin to feast on the flesh of one... thank GOD KAFU WAS FRIENDLY. Anyway, art style is very pleasant, music is good and fits, and the characters are ADORABLE... so freaking cute. I love it, fantasy anime of the season. It will definitely be a fitting anime to take the place of Girl's Last Tour from last season. Potatoe Adventures are now my second favorite genre of anime.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jan 14, 2018 2:33 PM

Aug 2012
This show reminds me of The Smurfs, i just hope there won't be any evil wizards that wants to turn them into gold...
Jan 14, 2018 6:04 PM

Oct 2010
This was a wonderful world to see unfold, and much more in this visual style that, as some of you told, reminds so much of a children's picture book. The choice of making the backgrounds and scenarios look like watercolor rather than hyper-realistic is great and gives a warmth to the episode that I am very into.

The two main characters are very nice and have funny and cute personalities, and discovering things with them feels so fine. I like how welcoming this fantasy world looks, in contrast with the Darling in the FranXX episode I watched before that just drags the audience violently into a new world with zero contextualization or reason to care about it. This is how you do worldbuilding, specially on a first episode, right.

I can get that some people find this boring, to each their own and it certainly is quiet. But as expected when I first read the synopsis, this was going to be right up my alley, and indeed it was. I felt so invested in this episode and again I'm so glad to have another series to look forward to this season expecting something genuinely great. That scene at the harbor was all kinds of healing and I love it.

TheServant said:

I didn't find anything in this episode remotely simple.
Jan 14, 2018 6:30 PM

Dec 2015

5/5 for me, really comfy first episode.

Jan 14, 2018 8:35 PM
Jan 2016
jal90 said:

You're probably too hypnotized by the visual style & the unique world to notice any flaw, which I understand. Because both were good.

jal90 said:
I like how welcoming this fantasy world looks, in contrast with the Darling in the FranXX episode I watched before that just drags the audience violently into a new world with zero contextualization or reason to care about it.

Both were simply have different pacing & different way of worldbuilding. Franxx did it in a faster pace story with no exposition exclusively for explaining how the world works, while this anime did it in slow-paced story with expositions explaining how the world works. And honestly, Franxx did it better because of the more subtle way.
Jan 14, 2018 8:38 PM

May 2015
TheServant said:
jal90 said:

You're probably too hypnotized by the visual style & the unique world to notice any flaw, which I understand. Because both were good.

jal90 said:
I like how welcoming this fantasy world looks, in contrast with the Darling in the FranXX episode I watched before that just drags the audience violently into a new world with zero contextualization or reason to care about it.

Both were simply have different pacing & different way of worldbuilding. Franxx did it in a faster pace story with no exposition exclusively for explaining how the world works, while this anime did it in slow-paced story with expositions explaining how the world works. And honestly, Franxx did it better because of the more subtle way.

Or, he didn't notice the flaws because they aren't objective flaws.

Jan 14, 2018 8:42 PM
Jan 2016
Kittens-kun said:

There were definitely flaws. You just need to be unbiased.
Jan 14, 2018 8:53 PM

May 2015
TheServant said:
Kittens-kun said:

There were definitely flaws. You just need to be unbiased.

Different opinions exist. You think they're flaws, other people don't. It's just that simple. Plus, there's no such thing as being completely unbiased. Objectivity doesn't exist in entertainment.

Jan 14, 2018 9:07 PM
Jan 2016
Kittens-kun said:
Different opinions exist. You think they're flaws, other people don't. It's just that simple. Plus, there's no such thing as being completely unbiased. Objectivity doesn't exist in entertainment.

Being unbiased & being objective are different. Look, back then I wast just like you. Being biased about something that I like & not admitting any flaw that comes with it. I am sure you will understand in the future.
What you should do right now is try to look for flaws from anime that you like. Just try. And maybe your understanding about flaws, objectivity, & opinions will be better. That's it from me.
Jan 14, 2018 9:20 PM

May 2015
TheServant said:
Kittens-kun said:

Being unbiased & being objective are different. Look, back then I wast just like you. Being biased about something that I like & not admitting any flaw that comes with it. I am sure you will understand in the future.
What you should do right now is try to look for flaws from anime that you like. Just try. And maybe your understanding about flaws, objectivity, & opinions will be better. That's it from me.

It seems that you just can't understand that what you think are flaws, someone else might not agree that they are. You think the flaws you have with the show are objective facts, and anyone who disagrees is just too blind to see them. They're not allowed to think that what you're pointing out aren't flaws.

Disagreeing with you ≠ they're incapable of seeing flaws, or that they're biased.

Jan 15, 2018 1:16 AM

Oct 2010
TheServant said:
jal90 said:

Sure, must be that. Thanks for convincing me with your sound argument lol

TheServant said:
jal90 said:

I don't know where did I say that FranXX was difficult to understand. That was not its problem. Subtle? Yeah sure, because it's not like the characters themselves tell you what's happening all the time. The issue with this episode is timing and trying to cause a solid emotional answer while missing a lot of context, which is why I think it would have made a better impression had it been placed somewhere mid season.
jal90Jan 15, 2018 1:22 AM
Jan 15, 2018 1:55 AM
Jan 2016
jal90 said:
Sure, must be that. Thanks for convincing me with your sound argument lol

You are welcome. I am glad I could counter your non-argument.

jal90 said:
The issue with this episode is timing and trying to cause a solid emotional answer while missing a lot of context, which is why I think it would have made a better impression had it been placed somewhere mid season.

To cause a solid emotional answer? What does that mean?
And missing a lot of context? You mean lacking characterization? Lacking backstory? Lacking set up for the plot? You should really elaborate things, because your arguments are too broad.
Jan 15, 2018 3:03 AM

Oct 2010
TheServant said:

jal90 said:
The issue with this episode is timing and trying to cause a solid emotional answer while missing a lot of context, which is why I think it would have made a better impression had it been placed somewhere mid season.

To cause a solid emotional answer? What does that mean?
And missing a lot of context? You mean lacking characterization? Lacking backstory? Lacking set up for the plot? You should really elaborate things, because your arguments are too broad.

Says the guy of "everything is simple because it is".

This isn't even the thread and it's kind of absurd that I need to justify my point to a guy who has refused to give any insight on his. But hey, spoilers on FranXX here.

Jan 15, 2018 3:30 AM
Jan 2016
jal90 said:
Says the guy of "everything is simple because it is".

This isn't even the thread and it's kind of absurd that I need to justify my point to a guy who has refused to give any insight on his. But hey, spoilers on FranXX here.

Thank you for the answer.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hakumei to Mikochi Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2018

43 by James_xeno »»
Dec 27, 2023 1:17 PM

Poll: » Hakumei to Mikochi Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2018

39 by James_xeno »»
Dec 14, 2023 3:32 PM

» Anticipation thread

HappyMN - Aug 6, 2017

37 by gprime70 »»
Oct 28, 2023 12:56 AM

Poll: » Hakumei to Mikochi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2018

58 by SuperAdventure »»
Oct 25, 2023 7:30 PM

Poll: » Hakumei to Mikochi Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

29 by SuperAdventure »»
Oct 25, 2023 7:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.