Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 6, 2017 9:50 AM

Feb 2015
Aww. Very emotional episode. Heartwarming and heartbreaking. The scenes in that warm house are always so brilliant, it's always cosy and oh my god Momo is still the cutest thing ever.

It was a simple story of bullying, but definitely one of the most effective anime portrayals of it I've seen. It got super sad, I hope Hina doesn't get really bad bullying now that Sakura-san has left.

Only "criticism" is that Hina cried a little too much. It was necessary but god damn she cried A LOT. It got uncomfortable. And Momo was crying too ;-; (very realistic touch to have Momo cry because Hina was crying).

Just want to mention again how much I LOVE the OP. I loved the first 2 OPs and this one is definitely up there with them, possibly even better.
Nov 6, 2017 12:36 PM

Oct 2010
10/10 absolutely stunning episode in every way.

The crying animations, the eating animations, the facial animations, fucking everything in this episode is absolutely the most amazing piece of TV anime I've seen in a long long time. This extends to the actual content of the episode as well. Fucking 10/10. And honestly pretty brave topic for a Japanese story.
Nov 6, 2017 1:22 PM

Jul 2009
This episode was really well done and really made me feel for the situation. Hina did her best, but in the end the bullying was too much for Chiho, and they turned on her. Showing how it impacted Rei was really heartwarming and the calm dinner family scene at the end was a nice catharsis. The animation was spectacular this episode as well. This episode gave me so many feels :')
Nov 6, 2017 7:05 PM

Jan 2014
I may have shed a tear.

I like how they praised her actions as it really is a difficult thing to do in her situation. It sucks that it happened, but there wasn't much else she could have done. Sometimes you just have to let things be even though it's painful.

This also served to help Rei in some form. Maybe he got some closure, but I'm just speculating. It lit a fire under his heart, that's for sure. Great episode as always.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 6, 2017 7:58 PM

Jul 2009
Momo is so damn cute! And those kitties! But omg those who hurt innocent cute girls like Chiho and Hina are the worst! I honestly can't understand the minds of those bullies. You're really gonna throw a girls shoes in the toilet? Disgusting scum.

I wonder if a possible solution is for Rei to ask the help of that popular baseball senpai that Hina likes.

Also let's give props for Hina saving Rei's soul. That declaration was powerful! Rei needed to hear it :)
Nov 6, 2017 8:44 PM

Oct 2013
phantomfandom said:
...Now we can only hope that Rei will think of the 'realistic' solution and not deus ex machina that magically heal Hina's problem

I'm sure we don't have to worry about deus ex machina. This anime has been completely organic so far. It would be an insult to even consider an unrealistic resolution.
Nov 6, 2017 10:17 PM

Aug 2013
the absolute best episode of the entire series.
Nov 7, 2017 12:30 AM
Jul 2018
I really like how they handled this episode, especially that "pledge" idk a better word to call it Rei made to Hina.

And boi, prepare your heart cause this arc is really emotional imo.
Nov 7, 2017 3:36 AM

Nov 2014
Incredible powerful episode. It really hits you hard because Hina is usually so cheerful. Ties in very well with Rei's backstory too.

Hina is so brave! She has done something that I myself would never consider doing.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Nov 7, 2017 9:43 AM

Oct 2017
DEM FEELS! This episode is so great, the directing is amazing. It blends so well between tearjerking and heart warming. Such a beautiful anime!
Nov 7, 2017 12:28 PM
Oct 2015
wonderful episode probably one of the best this season so far.
the beginning was kind of tough for me to watch because of that shitty teacher and those b*tches it just made me feel so mad but the ending mad me feel better.

hina and chiho are such kind girls that didn't deserve that and someji is one hell of an awesome grandfather to praise her like that. I always liked him but now I respect him so much more

Bullying is terrible and i hope those girls get rain of karma in the form of an oil tanker

this one seriously had my emotions flying

Nov 7, 2017 1:41 PM

Sep 2014
I dont even know what to say about this episode.

SHAFT >> rest
I guess?

Really beautiful episode. elevated to a 9 now.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 7, 2017 2:01 PM

Jul 2011
I want to protect Hina <3 such a good girl
Nov 7, 2017 6:32 PM

Apr 2016
I have been thoroughly destroyed.
Nov 8, 2017 6:04 AM

May 2017
phantomfandom said:
This episode is not 100% politically correct as Hina counter violence with her violence act and it's not sure if grandpa encourage which part of her act that stand for her friend that she did 'nothing wrong'. Anyway it's successfully bring bullying issue which is a very hot topic in Japan and probably on worldwide level, and to think that this is anime about shogi that done this. Now we can only hope that Rei will think of the 'realistic' solution and not deus ex machina that magically heal Hina's problem

What are you talking about lol

If someone punch you, you're not gonna do anything? Counter violence? Wtf what's wrong with fighting back?

That aside, what Hina did (jumping the bully) was different coz that's anger, she was basically baited
Nov 8, 2017 12:26 PM
Jul 2016
I was hoping Rei would pull out a semi-automatic and say "I'm gonna make Columbine look like a fucking joke"
Nov 8, 2017 12:49 PM

Sep 2015
Maybe not the strongest examination of bullying. I still thought this episode was pretty effective in places. Sneering anime high school bullies are just such a dull cliche to me. Even though there's probably more truth to it, than I give it credit for. It was a little overdone. Little melodramatic. Little too much crying rather than giving us compelling human drama.

But some parts of it worked really well. Like Hina attacking the bullies. And the scene where she suggested going to a teacher. And a focus on the sisters was overdue in this season. I don't mind if they get a little bit more to do this go round. But hope we get back to shogi soon.
Nov 9, 2017 7:42 PM
Aug 2017
Lanz said:
Watched Yuuki Yuuna right before this. Hmmm, 40 minutes of weepy Kana...

The way they built the situation was a tad too cliche maybe? The antagonists were stereotypes. Not a big problem, but I expect a bit more from such a great franchise.

Grandpa should have kept shut.

Unfortunately I was one of the grey guys back in school.

SubscriberSun said:
Maybe not the strongest examination of bullying. I still thought this episode was pretty effective in places. Sneering anime high school bullies are just such a dull cliche to me. Even though there's probably more truth to it, than I give it credit for. It was a little overdone. Little melodramatic. Little too much crying rather than giving us compelling human drama.

But some parts of it worked really well. Like Hina attacking the bullies. And the scene where she suggested going to a teacher. And a focus on the sisters was overdue in this season. I don't mind if they get a little bit more to do this go round. But hope we get back to shogi soon.

There will be more about the bully's mentality and the reason she did this. Not many series get to the root of bullying like this one.
Nov 10, 2017 1:22 AM

Dec 2015
I COULDN'T STOP CRYING THE WHOLE EPISODE!

I LOVE YOU HINA SO MUCH!!!!!
Nov 10, 2017 9:22 AM

Sep 2012
If only Hina could have been more stronger and standed up for her friend when it was needed she would have never leave... If only...
What a beautiful episode, really emotional and the usage of money-shot is exepcional as always by Shaft

From nowadays... Do your best Hina!
Nov 11, 2017 7:33 PM
Jan 2016
When I watch this episode, I'm really mad!!! I really hate bullying. Those students are all cowards, they're all trash because they don't value their friends. Hina, you're not wrong, you're really brave and great friend. Hina is the true hero and legend. Great speech Grandpa, I totally agree with you!! And I think when this kind of situation happens, all she needs is her family to support her so she will not regret her choice to help her friends!! Nice episode!! Really picture the same situation in this world nowadays.
Nov 12, 2017 2:41 AM

Jul 2008
Yeah I know the feeling when a whole class is against you....it's not a fun place.
Nov 12, 2017 3:09 PM
Jul 2015
Through the tears and feelings this episode brought....literally speechless. Complete masterpiece.
Nov 12, 2017 3:42 PM

Oct 2012
Right in the kokoro... absolutely amazing.

I know what I wrote about the last episode and that I don't really like it but it's episodes like these when Shaft really shines - animation, music, feels - everything was just about perfect. They portray the bullying in the school, Rei's and Hinata's momentes and following homely atmosphere so well I was moved.

Times like these I have to wonder why there are boring shogi in this series when it's human moments like these with lots of character developement that are thounds times better (well, I'm not saying that shogi should completely disappear from this series, I'm just saying it's mostly boredom and that it would be a lot better if there was less time dedicated to it in favour of sisters slice of life).

Still, I wonder how Hina gets around this situation in the school, they would probably have to punish the bullies somehow (those girls are envious human trash anyhway) or Hina should them jealous and ignore them somehow, winning other girls over.
Nov 13, 2017 12:05 AM

Apr 2017
Oh man, this was an outstanding episode for this season. It told us about bullying, a lifestory of Hina-chan together with her friend. I know, it is very tough to be bullied because I also experienced that kind of moment when I was in middle school. I ended up home crying and I was afraid to tell my family about that, those encounters were almost the same as Hina suffered. I bawled so hard while watching this, the tears of the little girl was too precious and I do not want to see her crying. I must say we should not be afraid if someone bullies you at school, always tell your loved ones about it so they can help you.
Nov 13, 2017 4:23 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
again, the rhythm and the off voices!!!
Nov 13, 2017 10:40 AM

Sep 2016
This episode is absolutely my favorite. The scene with Kiriyama expressing how he felt when Hina-chan gripped his sleeve showed how pure anger can swell up inside of us.

"Life is like a piano. Black keys represents sadness. White keys represents joy. As you go through life, remember that the black keys make music too."
↶(╯•ω• )╯Ψ
Anime
Manga
Nov 15, 2017 8:05 PM
Apr 2015
magnificent and emotional episode, I'm not even sure how many times that I cried.

I'm sure, for me, this is the best episode out of all animes I've watched.

I really hope this show will get more love from everyone.

Nov 16, 2017 8:29 PM
Jul 2016
All the feels in this wonderful episode... Man... And it's only episode 4 in this second season.
Nov 22, 2017 1:17 AM
Nov 2017
Awesome episode, my heart full with all kind of emotions.
But here I have to ask, I am a litle bit confused, how can Kiriyama think that Hina had saved him at the moment beside the river when Hina crying??? did I missed some thing or I just dont get the moment it self? which moment that cause Kiriyama feels that way?
(pardon for the humble english)
Nov 25, 2017 2:47 AM

Mar 2009
Well, damn. This was a powerful episode. Shaft went all out with the visuals.

Best Grandpa, btw.
Dec 3, 2017 2:50 PM
Apr 2014
I didnt cry. It just rained is all.

What a great episode. SHAFT really out-did themselves with this episode and series. Great work, really
This episode really hit hard, definetely giving 5/5 for this episode. Simply beauitful, to describe it in one word. Just too good.
Dec 26, 2017 6:29 AM
Feb 2009
Unleashed_SM said:
That teacher was a bitch. She didn't even try to help. Writiing it off as a harmless joke, bitch what if she decided to kill herself after all that? WOULD IT BE A HARMLESS JOKE THEN? Phew, this episode got me triggered. Though great episode.

Yeah, I still don't understand why teacher does not take bullying seriously ? Honestly, if some people reported the bullying (like Hina does) or if they knew it but choose to ignore it and as a result one of the student get hurt / have to change school / suicide, they should at least get fired... and bullying student banned from normal school for at least three years, or something.

Or maybe I should send someone from "wonderful everyday down the rabbit-hole" to take care of all of them ? :)

Bullying is really good at making you feel powerless. Like Rei, I have a hard time finding a suitable solution. It's not like you can just go and hit the girls, you'll be the one ending in jail. And if you ask them to stop, it can escalate...

And it's horrible to think that Hina has to go there everyday...

That's why teacher and school should do their goddamn job...

"Close to 224,540 reports of school bullying, or ijime in Japanese, emerged in 2015-16, according to the ministry." (just saying)

Jan 3, 2018 4:10 PM

Apr 2014
Episodes that unfocus on shogi are the best.
Jan 3, 2018 4:22 PM

Jul 2010
This is what I like about this anime! Who chares about shogi? We want drama, emotions, feels, despair.
Jan 3, 2018 6:20 PM

Dec 2014
to think he is the seem gotou we were made to demise to...I gues you never know people huh
Jan 6, 2018 6:13 AM

Dec 2014
What a great episode I want to cheer hina so much...but like Rei sad I don't know the solution
Jan 13, 2018 6:37 AM

Oct 2011
I forgot how much this series gives me feels

And I end another episode teary-eyed
Jan 13, 2018 2:25 PM
Jun 2016
I seriously wanted to be sucked into this anime's world so I could beat the hell out of those girls for making Hina-chan cry. What a bunch of b!tches. I am glad Rei was there for her especially since he knows how it feels.
Jan 14, 2018 3:02 PM

Jun 2011
Hina's such an admirable person, nothing is more admirable than having the courage to stand up for what's right. Hina is something I aspire to be, and when Rei said that he wanted to find the people that did this to her and tear them limb from limb, I understand that sentiment very well.

Also, I don't care what anyone says, those bullies DESERVED to get their ass kicked.
Jan 14, 2018 3:12 PM

Jun 2011
Rukodaime said:
Unleashed_SM said:
That teacher was a bitch. She didn't even try to help. Writiing it off as a harmless joke, bitch what if she decided to kill herself after all that? WOULD IT BE A HARMLESS JOKE THEN? Phew, this episode got me triggered. Though great episode.

Yeah, I still don't understand why teacher does not take bullying seriously ? Honestly, if some people reported the bullying (like Hina does) or if they knew it but choose to ignore it and as a result one of the student get hurt / have to change school / suicide, they should at least get fired... and bullying student banned from normal school for at least three years, or something.

Or maybe I should send someone from "wonderful everyday down the rabbit-hole" to take care of all of them ? :)

Bullying is really good at making you feel powerless. Like Rei, I have a hard time finding a suitable solution. It's not like you can just go and hit the girls, you'll be the one ending in jail. And if you ask them to stop, it can escalate...

And it's horrible to think that Hina has to go there everyday...

That's why teacher and school should do their goddamn job...

"Close to 224,540 reports of school bullying, or ijime in Japanese, emerged in 2015-16, according to the ministry." (just saying)

Honestly, when it comes to teachers and bullying, a lot of them tend to turn a blind eye or do nothing about it. When I was going through bullying myself during a school trip and ended up having an emotional breakdown, my teacher was nice enough to let me cry on her shoulders and comfort me when I needed it the most, but teachers like her are hard to come by, in particular, when my sister had trouble dealing with bullies, the only thing the teacher did was make her switch seats thinking that would solve the situation. In general, I think it's just hard to find a teacher that actually gives a damn or would even try to help their student in that situation, a lot of them tend to turn a blind eye.
Jan 14, 2018 3:20 PM

Jun 2011
SubscriberSun said:

I didn't think it was melodramatic at all, I mean, everyone handles bullying differently, and as for Hina's case she does it by taking action and crying about it. I remember when I was being bullied, and while most of the time I just dealt with it, eventually the emotions just all come out and you lose your composure. It's sort of like that, after all, there are times when life just becomes some huge soap opera.
Jan 16, 2018 5:49 AM

Jan 2016
I sort of wish they had included/developed Chiho's character and her relationship with Hina a little more, but the message conveyed was definitely a powerful one. The relationship between not only Rei and Hina but the entirety of the Kawamoto family is seriously incredible. I almost died when Momo ran rowards Hina ;,;
Definitely the best episode of the season so far.
Jan 16, 2018 8:47 AM

Feb 2015
For almost the entirety of the episode, my tears keeps coming back.

I honestly got nothing much more to add, they did a goddamn fine job delivering this episode.
Feb 17, 2018 8:25 AM

Oct 2012
Hina's a good girl.
Feb 18, 2018 2:59 AM

May 2016
My God that was amazing
Mar 2, 2018 8:04 AM
Aug 2015
phantomfandom said:
This episode is not 100% politically correct as Hina counter violence with her violence act and it's not sure if grandpa encourage which part of her act that stand for her friend that she did 'nothing wrong'. Anyway it's successfully bring bullying issue which is a very hot topic in Japan and probably on worldwide level, and to think that this is anime about shogi that done this. Now we can only hope that Rei will think of the 'realistic' solution and not deus ex machina that magically heal Hina's problem
as a boy who live in harsh environment, and often bullied my self, thats what normal human do when they reach their limit. you know, when i "violently" stood up to my bullier (some times my bro) end we ended up in a fight (real fight, i ve even used real sword once if my mom dont stop me, i dont know what ill became today) my bro know that im not just a boy who accepted being a punch bag and the bullying reduce and i never respect my bro since that time. i hope you know what i want to tell. when i see hina jump to the girl i just said "my girl, show em who you are"
Apr 1, 2018 7:12 AM

Feb 2014
Talk about forced melodrama. Did we really need overly dramatic shots of Momo screaming at the sky Darth Vader style? It always looks cheap when they use crying children to elicit emotions from the audience. Especially considering it didn't need to resort to that in the first place. That's the only thing I didn't like in this episode.

And what a worthless teacher. She's even worse than those bullies, for knowing full well what's going on, but not doing anything about it.
Apr 1, 2018 7:37 AM

Oct 2014
Vhailor said:
Talk about forced melodrama. Did we really need overly dramatic shots of Momo screaming at the sky Darth Vader style? It always looks cheap when they use crying children to elicit emotions from the audience. Especially considering it didn't need to resort to that in the first place. That's the only thing I didn't like in this episode.

And what a worthless teacher. She's even worse than those bullies, for knowing full well what's going on, but not doing anything about it.

I don't know about you but my little niece cries EXACTLY like momo, heck even my little brother too when he was 5.
Apr 3, 2018 4:32 PM
Jun 2012
Grandpa is best. Unconditional support from your family can make all the difference.

Also, T_T
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» 3-gatsu no Lion is getting a season 3 ( 1 2 )

ranzer - May 26, 2020

68 by Gaurxv »»
Apr 22, 4:56 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

247 by Matdredalia »»
Apr 13, 11:24 PM

» 2023: Who else hasn't given up hope for S3?

FMmatron - Jan 10, 2023

43 by DatRandomDude »»
Apr 4, 9:26 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2018

197 by anshumankrsingh »»
Mar 30, 5:03 AM

» Series recap before reading the manga

Lakitu64 - Mar 12

4 by Lakitu64 »»
Mar 14, 6:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.