Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 3, 2017 12:38 AM

Jul 2013
avory said:
quercifolia said:

Thanks! I'm only really echoing what a few others have said, though.

The mindset of "take whatever you want because you can" is the source of so many troubles in this world. Just pure selfish acts.

Meanwhile the animator and the artists and the SFX people and the musicians and everyone else who made the anime, can just go hang right? So long as you get it free for yourself?

again a moral reason, if they offered a service better than pirating it would be better for everyone, DO YOU NOT AGREE?

and btw, I've spend way more money on hardcopies/manga than I'd spend on a subscribtion to crunchyroll, because it actually gives me something I wouldn't have otherwise.

Obviously, if they offered a better service it would be better but as I already stated before they have to pay money for licensing and other stuff.

Your comment.
"nothing a streaming service offers cannot be obtained by pirating"

Is very close-minded and seems very selfish.
Nov 3, 2017 12:40 AM

Feb 2016
Calal-Chan said:
avory said:

again a moral reason, if they offered a service better than pirating it would be better for everyone, DO YOU NOT AGREE?

and btw, I've spend way more money on hardcopies/manga than I'd spend on a subscribtion to crunchyroll, because it actually gives me something I wouldn't have otherwise.

Obviously, if they offered a better service it would be better but as I already stated before they have to pay money for licensing and other stuff.

Your comment.

Is very close-minded and seems very selfish.

then what do they offer that a pirating site doesn't?
Nov 3, 2017 12:41 AM

May 2015
Calal-Chan said:
avory said:

The competition doesn't try to be better (than the other ones), it tries to get different exclusive anime, not at all adding new features or things that make one company/service better than the other one, this was very specifically talked about in the video and you haven't really made enough of a point against what was said in there for me to agree with you.

nothing a streaming service offers cannot be obtained by pirating, they haven't even added an option to switch languages on the fly or turn on/off subs while watching the dub(, does crunchyroll even have dubs?), which some downloaded anime I watched could easily do, so sometimes pirating is even superior.
if they actually offered a better product than pirate sites it would be better for everyone.

The problem with giving a better service than torrents is that they are doing things legally which has stipulations. They have to pay for licensing and the like. I am not saying their sites are perfect. They are far from that but if you understand pretty much anything about business you would understand that competition is what causes a market to grow and strive.

What this argument basically says is, hey lets never pay for anything because getting stuff illegally is easier and cost pretty much nothing. Okay man but things cost money to make whether you like it or not. Every anime fan has pretty much torrented at least one show and I know that to be true but his arguments would not fix the solution.

Read @Yudina 's post. It covers quite a bit of why this video is nonsense.

Also again this line really?

I am not gonna say I get all my anime legally either but that mindset is horrible. And considering how little animators in Japan already get paid it looks like you actually show little care towards the people who create and make you content. It makes you look like think the world owes you something. And spoiler alert it doesn't.

No, that mindset is the correct mindset to have. I mean, it's true. The only incentive to buy a CR subscription is "it's the right thing to do", and even that doesn't matter much because the creators don't get any of our money. CR should offer more of a reason to pay for their service than morals.

Nov 3, 2017 12:49 AM

Mar 2015
Kittens-kun said:
Calal-Chan said:

The problem with giving a better service than torrents is that they are doing things legally which has stipulations. They have to pay for licensing and the like. I am not saying their sites are perfect. They are far from that but if you understand pretty much anything about business you would understand that competition is what causes a market to grow and strive.

What this argument basically says is, hey lets never pay for anything because getting stuff illegally is easier and cost pretty much nothing. Okay man but things cost money to make whether you like it or not. Every anime fan has pretty much torrented at least one show and I know that to be true but his arguments would not fix the solution.

Read @Yudina 's post. It covers quite a bit of why this video is nonsense.

Also again this line really?

I am not gonna say I get all my anime legally either but that mindset is horrible. And considering how little animators in Japan already get paid it looks like you actually show little care towards the people who create and make you content. It makes you look like think the world owes you something. And spoiler alert it doesn't.

No, that mindset is the correct mindset to have. I mean, it's true. The only incentive to buy a CR subscription is "it's the right thing to do", and even that doesn't matter much because the creators don't get any of our money. CR should offer more of a reason to pay for their service than morals.

that's stupid mindset since it's pretty much apply for everything not only licencing because most anime studio is paid to produce... either it success or not, it will has little effect on them... they had to be part of production comitee which oftenly anime studio even if it does, they has pretty low in the rank... but if it give them profit, people who works on it will trusted and more often hired by production comitee... so even little profit better than nothing....

sure, streamers need to fixing their service, but complitely boycott it is only make it worse...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 3, 2017 12:55 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
avory said:
quercifolia said:

Thanks! I'm only really echoing what a few others have said, though.

The mindset of "take whatever you want because you can" is the source of so many troubles in this world. Just pure selfish acts.

Meanwhile the animator and the artists and the SFX people and the musicians and everyone else who made the anime, can just go hang right? So long as you get it free for yourself?

Pirate sites vs Crunchyroll Subscription

Quality

Pirate Site: Inconsistent. Often on older series you get pixellated or blurry, poor encodes, watermarks, etc.
Crunchyroll: New series pretty much always have 1080p option. Sometimes upscaled, always consistent.

Advertising
PS: Many ads and if you block them, they'll often block you from viewing their site at all. Also some ads are malicious.
CR: No 3rd party ads with premium service. Occasionally banner ad of other series within CR or a competition.

Subbing
PS: Usually just stolen off CR or another official streaming site. Fansub group quality varies. Some fansub groups publish trollish or poor quality subs.
CR: Usually good quality, but not OP/ED theme sub.

Older Series
PS: Can have anything from the very beginning of anime to the latest. The older, the more dodgy the quality IE no 1080p or even 720p.
CR: Doesn't have a lot of older shows. But they are licensing some, and when they do, it's usually a higher quality video.

Mobile Version
PS: Often doesn't work on mobile phones. Or has a lot of lag, crashes, etc.
CR: Has Mobile App that works quite well on old and new devices.

Slow internet accessibility
PS: Usually only high MB filesize which takes a long time to buffer.
CR: Has "SD" quality option for slow connections.

Customer Service
PS: Usually little/none, run by random teenagers.
CR: Professional customer support team.

Forum Community
PS: Split up and fragmented between all the many different pirate websites.
CR: Massive.

Website
PS: Gets DDOS'd by rival sites, may crash, have downtime. Has poor user interface with limited functions.
CR: Always online. Professionally designed interface with many functions.

Outlook
PS: Probably gone within a year or two.
CR: Been around almost 10 years with no sign of slowing.

Anime Industry
PS: Could be supporting anyone from a chinese teenager to a mafia boss, or ISIS
CR: Supporting Producers in Japan, which increases their anime production.

Overall? What do YOU think?

Sure there are moral reasons (which by the fact you reject that, tells me you probably have none). So I gave you a list of logical reasons.

I like physical copies of things better than digital, TBH. If it's digital it feels like it could just vanish someday and never be seen again!

Nov 3, 2017 12:59 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Kittens-kun said:
quercifolia said:

Why should I pay for this loaf of bread from the bakery, when I could just eat it for free then leave?

Yep, because actually stealing something, and watching cartoons are equally as bad.

By downloading/streaming from an unauthorized source, you are stealing the premium service items provided by sites like Crunchyroll...

Nov 3, 2017 1:01 AM

May 2015
quercifolia said:
avory said:

Pirate sites vs Crunchyroll Subscription

Quality

Pirate Site: Inconsistent. Often on older series you get pixellated or blurry, poor encodes, watermarks, etc.
Crunchyroll: New series pretty much always have 1080p option. Sometimes upscaled, always consistent.

Advertising
PS: Many ads and if you block them, they'll often block you from viewing their site at all. Also some ads are malicious.
CR: No 3rd party ads with premium service. Occasionally banner ad of other series within CR or a competition.

Subbing
PS: Usually just stolen off CR or another official streaming site. Fansub group quality varies. Some fansub groups publish trollish or poor quality subs.
CR: Usually good quality, but not OP/ED theme sub.

Older Series
PS: Can have anything from the very beginning of anime to the latest. The older, the more dodgy the quality IE no 1080p or even 720p.
CR: Doesn't have a lot of older shows. But they are licensing some, and when they do, it's usually a higher quality video.

Mobile Version
PS: Often doesn't work on mobile phones. Or has a lot of lag, crashes, etc.
CR: Has Mobile App that works quite well on old and new devices.

Customer Service
PS: Usually little/none, run by random teenagers.
CR: Professional customer support team.

Forum Community

Website
PS: Gets DDOS'd by rival sites, may crash, have downtime. Has poor user interface with limited functions.
CR: Always online. Professionally designed interface with many functions.

Outlook
PS: Probably gone within a year or two.

Anime Industry

Overall? What do YOU think?

Sure there are moral reasons (which by the fact you reject that, tells me you probably have none). So I gave you a list of logical reasons.

I like physical copies of things better than digital, TBH. If it's digital it feels like it could just vanish someday and never be seen again!

The shilling is so real. CR is still ass bud.

Nov 3, 2017 1:01 AM

May 2015
quercifolia said:
Kittens-kun said:

Yep, because actually stealing something, and watching cartoons are equally as bad.

By downloading/streaming from an unauthorized source, you are stealing the premium service items provided by sites like Crunchyroll...

And it doesn't matter, like at all...

Nov 3, 2017 1:15 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Kittens-kun said:
quercifolia said:

Really? No effect? Studio Artland (of mushishi, legend of the galatic heroes, etc) went BANKRUPT. Why? Because despite having many HIT anime they made no profit. I wonder why? Outsourcing was one part of the problem. Piracy was another. People chose not to support them.

The result is that a major studio with many amazing anime, went BANKRUPT.

Kittens-kun said:

Spoken by a true cheap-skate who thinks the world owes them everything for free. That attitude is the entire problem with the world. Selfish people who expect everything dropped in their lap and to do no work, make no effort, and contribute NOTHING to get it. Leeches.

Nov 3, 2017 1:27 AM

Apr 2014
I believe a platform that combined elements from Steam and MAL would be a huge success.
themanualreader@proton.me
Nov 3, 2017 1:33 AM

May 2015
quercifolia said:
Kittens-kun said:

Really? No effect? Studio Artland (of mushishi, legend of the galatic heroes, etc) went BANKRUPT. Why? Because despite having many HIT anime they made no profit. I wonder why? Outsourcing was one part of the problem. Piracy was another. People chose not to support them.

The result is that a major studio with many amazing anime, went BANKRUPT.

Kittens-kun said:

Spoken by a true cheap-skate who thinks the world owes them everything for free. That attitude is the entire problem with the world. Selfish people who expect everything dropped in their lap and to do no work, make no effort, and contribute NOTHING to get it. Leeches.

You're pretty naive if you think they went bankrupt because of Western piracy. You can call me a leech if you want. I don't really care because at the end of the day, I know you're paying for an inferior product and getting brainwashed into thinking you're actually helping the creators. xD

Nov 3, 2017 1:34 AM

Feb 2016
Quality

Pirate Site: fine
Crunchyroll: possibly a bit better, (although I just checked out the bleach ep i'm watching dubbed in 720 on a pirate site and it was 480 on CR)

Advertising
PS: good sites will not have bothersome ads, and they're usually not played in an episode but somewhere on the side of the screen, otherwise use addblock
CR: ads interrupt show, subscription gets rid of ad for a normal standard pirate viewing experience

Subbing
PS: Usually good quality, may have some shows with lesser subs, but it also has dubs available
CR: pretty much always good quality, but not OP/ED theme sub.

Older Series

Mobile Version
PS: don't know always use PC
CR: always PC

I don't really have slow internet problems

Customer Service
PS: never interacted with them
CR: same

Forum Community

Website
PS: Gets DDOS'd by rival sites, may crash, have downtime. always at least a few of them are working so watching is always possible.
CR: Always online.

Outlook
PS: Probably gone within a year or two. there'll always be a few around though

Anime Industry

Dubs
PS: yes
CR: no

and I don't think the money the producers make gets passed down to the low earning employees tbh (in response to your "screw the animator" comment), it goes into the company for future endeavors (and possibly to the already rich executives, but this is just how I expect the world to work, maybe anime actually has a very wierd system where every animator gets a percentage of the profit made).

the only thing that is an actual positive left is the forum community, and there's also some negatives.
SnufkinNov 3, 2017 1:46 AM
Nov 3, 2017 1:45 AM

Aug 2014
Darius said:
I believe a platform that combined elements from Steam and MAL would be a huge success.

People think it's a bad idea.
Wel I think it's a great idea.
We need a way to have community to communicate with the studio/producer if and discuss the selected anime they bought/watch instead bland dead sub forum that everyone click just to see impression.
And producers or licensor could hire the people who translate this Manga/Anime/LN to make it a digital and physical copies with at least 1-2 certified quality checkers.

Second are region restrictions shit has to die like really at this time of year people use restrictions.

Order merchandise,DVD/BD, material from related anime/LN/Manga it should connected to the producer, licensor and studio who own it then bring it to Amazon/or heck make their own platform such as steam but dedicated for anime.
Does it sounds like a bad idea? Than legal streaming services that doesn't seems improving for the last 7 years.

Like i already mentioned, Anime,Manga,LN shouldn't be separated they need each other to maintain industry, but due the this language barrier,slow global distribution from legal translation such as Yen Press, people pirate instead waiting for crap.
Years i live i couldn't even find multiple Manga i read on my country except some shounen or weird Manga that i never read.
The kids getting a full collection are slim except it was Popular.
Then if you tried to order from outside the main problems such as slow legal translation are still there..
And then what? Wait for another 10 years for a complete translation?
Nov 3, 2017 1:54 AM

Sep 2016
I have no problem with people subscribing to sites like Crunchyroll because they want to "support" the industry, that is their own decision. What I do have a problem with, are imbeciles who think piracy is the same thing as theft, come up with bullshit excuses to defend legal streaming sites and act like you're taking part in destroying the industry, even though western audiences have almost no effect on the industry whatsoever. People who say that video's in illegal streaming sites look like shit are also idiots. They look exactly the same as the ones in legal sites, just with an added watermark that isn't even hindering.

Nov 3, 2017 2:06 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
avory said:
Quality

Crunchyroll: possibly a bit better, (although I just checked out the bleach ep i'm watching dubbed in 720 on a pirate site and it was 480 on CR)
With Bleach, Viz started releasing the entire series in 1080p. But since CR had licensed Bleach before they started that, they probably didn't license that version for the older episodes). But the pirates don't have such a restriction.

Advertising
PS: good sites will not have bothersome ads, and they're usually not played in an episode but somewhere on the side of the screen, otherwise use addblock
CR: ads interrupt show, subscription gets rid of ad for a normal standard pirate viewing experience

Subbing
PS: Usually good quality, may have some shows with lesser subs, but it also has dubs available
CR also has dubs
Older Series

Mobile Version

fair enough but I used to be stuck with 56k and let me tell you finding LQ streaming site was nearly impossible

Customer Service
same again

Forum Community

Website
PS: Gets DDOS'd by rival sites, may crash, have downtime. always at least a few of them are working so watching is always possible.

Outlook

Anime Industry

Dubs

and I don't think the money the producers make gets passed down to the low earning employees tbh (in response to your "screw the animator" comment), it goes into the company for future endeavors (and possibly to the already rich executives, but this is just how I expect the world to work, maybe anime actually has a very wierd system where every animator gets a percentage of the profit made).

the only thing that is an actual positive left is the forum community, and there's also some negatives.

Dubs, good point that I missed (I don't really watch dubs...)

CR does have some dubs. partial list I think Funimation's streaming offering has more dubs, because they produce them in-house.

Apparantly, the CR CEO Kun Gao stated that a good part of your subscription fee goes to to publishers in this interview. As well as ad revenue from non-subscribers. I'd imagine there is also a lump sum fee for the license that CR pays as well. the publishers probably then go on to pay the studio a cut (or they already paid the producers, to well, produce the show maybe.) But either way, this money goes back into the anime industry.

And, well, if the company makes money, then they can afford to pay for their staff. In the case of Artland studio, they went bankrupt, probably not paying their staff or any other bills in the process. :/

Nov 3, 2017 2:09 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Apoc_Revolution said:
I have no problem with people subscribing to sites like Crunchyroll because they want to "support" the industry, that is their own decision. What I do have a problem with, are imbeciles who think piracy is the same thing as theft, come up with bullshit excuses to defend legal streaming sites and act like you're taking part in destroying the industry, even though western audiences have almost no effect on the industry whatsoever. People who say that video's in illegal streaming sites look like shit are also idiots. They look exactly the same as the ones in legal sites, just with an added watermark that isn't even hindering.

But CR subscription fee goes back to the industry... link

I'm sick of trying to get this point across to people. By supporting pirate sites you are getting an inferior item (such is the sacrifice you are making by using bootleg websites) and you are ripping off the Anime industry.

I'm not going to reply here anymore since this thread honestly deserves just to die. PM me if you want a reply.

Nov 3, 2017 2:32 AM

May 2015
quercifolia said:
Apoc_Revolution said:

I'm sick of trying to get this point across to people. By supporting pirate sites you are getting an inferior item (such is the sacrifice you are making by using bootleg websites) and you are ripping off the Anime industry.

I'm not going to reply here anymore since this thread honestly deserves just to die. PM me if you want a reply.

No, CRUNCHYROLL is the inferior option. Nice job linking a 4 year old article, from CR themselves, as your evidence btw. xD

Nov 3, 2017 2:36 AM

Sep 2016
quercifolia said:
Apoc_Revolution said:

I have no way of confirming if that is true, but even if it is, your contribution is like a drop of water in the ocean. You're exactly the kind of person that makes bullshit excuses. Illegal streaming sites offer the same product as legal sites, but for free and have much bigger libraries. I'm not ripping off the industry because I never had any intention to pay anyway. You don't have to respond, but I will still reply for the sake of this thread.

Nov 3, 2017 2:39 AM

Feb 2016
quercifolia said:
avory said:
Quality

With Bleach, Viz started releasing the entire series in 1080p. But since CR had licensed Bleach before they started that, they probably didn't license that version for the older episodes). But the pirates don't have such a restriction.

Advertising

Subbing
CR also has dubs
Older Series

Mobile Version

fair enough but I used to be stuck with 56k and let me tell you finding LQ streaming site was nearly impossible

Customer Service
same again

Forum Community

Website

Outlook

Anime Industry

Dubs

Dubs, good point that I missed (I don't really watch dubs...)

CR does have some dubs. partial list I think Funimation's streaming offering has more dubs, because they produce them in-house.

Apparantly, the CR CEO Kun Gao stated that a good part of your subscription fee goes to to publishers in this interview. As well as ad revenue from non-subscribers. I'd imagine there is also a lump sum fee for the license that CR pays as well. the publishers probably then go on to pay the studio a cut (or they already paid the producers, to well, produce the show maybe.) But either way, this money goes back into the anime industry.

And, well, if the company makes money, then they can afford to pay for their staff. In the case of Artland studio, they went bankrupt, probably not paying their staff or any other bills in the process. :/

I know it goes into the industry, but it doesn't increase the pay of the low earning employee.

and Yudina indeed said it "I pirate all my anime. I don't pay for it because it's better to get a product for free than it is to pay for it." - Yudina

nah JK, "have players that are largely not competitive with one another." -Yudina, disagreeing with you

nah JK, "If the consumer has moved onto an identical product that is free, there is no reason for the business to continue operating/changing their price model because delivering their product for anything less than free is not only not competitive," they shouldn't offer an identical product, they should improve their product and offer that, that's the only way for people that don't want to simply donate to actually subscribe/use it (like bottled water).

I'm not saying boycotting is gonna help change CR (and I haven't), but I'm also not saying to subscribe and giving reasons for why I don't use CR, and I'm saying that if CR DID offer a service better than piracy it would be better for everyone.
Nov 3, 2017 2:42 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Kittens-kun said:
Stripesu said:
Why are y'all acting like you get ripped off from these services, they have free trials for a reason. It's not even that expensive are you all working minimum wage?

CR could cost a penny, it doesn't change the fact that the service itself is garbage. I could pay a couple of hobos a few bucks to fix my car but they'd probably do a bad job.

I'll admit the service on desktop is pretty shit but the queue feature and app alone is worth $7. Then again I make almost 3x that an hour so whatever.

Everyone wants this magical perfect streaming system but even if it was decently perfected or offered something (which none of you can ever establish other then a bigger library) you'd still find problem with the system or price. And this is coming from someone who does pirate shows that aren't on their system so don't sugar coat it.

Chandela said:
Stripesu said:
Why are y'all acting like you get ripped off from these services, they have free trials for a reason. It's not even that expensive are you all working minimum wage?
Many of the users who frequent MAL are teens so that wouldn't be unreasonable to assume.

But who actually gives a fuck about someone's wage right?
Oh, and I'm a pirate. Y'arr.

Teens? Most of the talkative community acts like pretentious adults.
Nov 3, 2017 2:45 AM

Jan 2013
Stripesu said:
Chandela said:
Many of the users who frequent MAL are teens so that wouldn't be unreasonable to assume.

Yep. Sounds like teenagers to me. Nothing abnormal there.
Nov 3, 2017 2:51 AM

May 2015
Stripesu said:
Kittens-kun said:

CR could cost a penny, it doesn't change the fact that the service itself is garbage. I could pay a couple of hobos a few bucks to fix my car but they'd probably do a bad job.

I'll admit the service on desktop is pretty shit but the queue feature and app alone is worth $7. Then again I make almost 3x that an hour so whatever.

Everyone wants this magical perfect streaming system but even if it was decently perfected or offered something (which none of you can ever establish other then a bigger library) you'd still find problem with the system or price. And this is coming from someone who does pirate shows that aren't on their system so don't sugar coat it.

Chandela said:

Well, Steam isn't perfect. But it's still massively successful.

I know we can't have a perfect service. None of the illegal sites are perfect either. What I'm saying is, it's a problem when the legal option is worse in almost every way, but they still guilt-trip you into paying for it. They should look into actually improving their site, but they aren't going to do that if people eat up whatever they serve, and never complain about it. There should be more incentive to pay for legal streaming than "it's the right thing to do"

Nov 3, 2017 2:57 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I don't pay for Netflix because I'd have no use for it outside of the limited catalog of anime they have where I live, I don't pay for Amazonthingy because I don't feel like buying prime which I'd only use for that anime service they have and I don't know how much I'd be getting in return on top of that, and I don't pay for CR because I fucking hate CR. I'm somebody who's still in the first year of his '20s and doesn't live with his family or anything. Money's tight and of course I'm going to take something for free when possible, especially when I see supporting either of the two choices as being financially inefficient for me. Or because I'm not going to give CR any money whatsoever. I'd probably take a lighter to my money before giving it to them.

So I tend to just buy DVDs/BDs/merch/the source material if I feel compelled enough by something to want to try and offer some kind of financial support for it, which does happen whenever I really get into a series. I'm pretty satisfied with that model and I've yet to run into a situation where one of those things isn't available in some way, shape, or form.
ManabanNov 3, 2017 3:07 AM

Nov 3, 2017 4:58 AM

Mar 2015
Pirating anime? Never heard of it...
Nov 3, 2017 5:56 AM
Aug 2017
Bourmegar said:
StrangerMist said:

Thats a smart idea. Also, what about making tons of anime, both new and old, available?

That would be awesome.

But also very risky. Doing that requires streaming sites to buy a load of licenses and then there is the question if it's even profitable which it isn't as profitable as the newer shows are. I mean who will watch old shows nowadays? Many fans already think that the modern anime is better. And the old shows that hold up very well are only a few of them.

Also how many series are not meant to be "sold" outside of Japan and rely solely on piracy and fan dubs for the western viewers. Giving the license to legal streaming sites for small profit would still be better for the companies than have everyone watch them free regardless. Seems like an awful lot of revenue lost by not offering the content out there, but as the viewer thats no my problem. Theres demand but the supply is lacking so what do.
Nov 3, 2017 6:28 AM

May 2016
I mean, yeah. If they're not offering something worth paying for, then there's no way in hell I'm paying for it.
Nov 3, 2017 6:31 AM
Aug 2017
Nah, I can't. I'm not paying to watch anime
Nov 3, 2017 6:32 AM

Jan 2014
I already watched it, I have him in my notifications. But yeah, I agree with his points.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 3, 2017 6:45 AM

Jan 2017
Yeah I really don't like the fact that I'm steeling one of my favorite things to do but the shit with streaming sites is anime is on 2-3 different platforms and that is pure stupidity. So lets hope they get their shit together then paying will be worth it.

But even if that happened I still will be pour as fuck and living in second world county so... that's there. (¬_¬)
*meme*
Nov 3, 2017 10:44 AM

Jul 2015
nymi said:
You cant tell me what to do when im already doing it. Lol

there's plenty of hard cucks that dont though
Nov 3, 2017 3:27 PM

Sep 2017
Oh for fuck sake I know I pirate but at least I don't try to justify it. Don't try to act like you are an angel while being a thief. People pirate because it's free. If you really like an anime, just support the maker by buying merch or even the manga.

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Nov 3, 2017 3:32 PM

Oct 2017
Already do that but I definitely like to buy the really good anime (and manga).
Nov 3, 2017 4:08 PM

Oct 2017
I think people don't care about economical or smart decisions anymore
It's all about morality these days, no point convincing anyone. After all, it doesn't affect you watching your pirated anime anyways.
And for anyone wondering, yes. I don't pay for streaming or anything.
Nov 3, 2017 4:11 PM

Oct 2017
I pay for Crunchyroll because i like the site and i want to support people who give me a product i enjoy. I fully understand why people pirate anime though.
Nov 3, 2017 5:49 PM
Mar 2014
Darek said:
Oh ffs, I am not watching that video.

Stop making shitty excuses, just admit it, you don't feel like paying. This has fuck all to do with "bad services". Don't feel like paying and you'd rather pirate it? So be it, a lot of people do it, even I can't be bothered to pay for everything. Stop acting as if you were in the right, you are NOT. Anime is not a right, you are not entitled to anime, stop acting like it is.
You have nothing to add to the conversation. The dude doesn't pirate himself, and even makes a point as to; 'I'm not going to start pirating because then it would seem like this video is a justification for it.' If you're not going to watch the video, don't comment in the fucking thread.
Nov 3, 2017 7:52 PM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
When anime studios and manga/LN creators actually care about foreign demographics instead of ignoring the entire United States and Canadian market, then I might stop torrenting. My money doesn't benefit the original creator or studio behind the work I'm interested in, so I shouldn't have to pay for it.
Nov 3, 2017 8:01 PM

Nov 2011
Ame said:
When anime studios and manga/LN creators actually care about foreign demographics instead of ignoring the entire United States and Canadian market, then I might stop torrenting. My money doesn't benefit the original creator or studio behind the work I'm interested in, so I shouldn't have to pay for it.

i'm sorry, but that's false. services such as CR are required to pay these companies due to licensing.
it's an indirect way of supporting the companies, but saying that the money doesn't go to the anime companies is simply not true.

edit:
Punpun3 said:
I will pirate anime regardless. I don't want to pay for anime. I can buy fucking 36 maruchan ramen for 8$

this is literally one of the few honest posts here. people may try and claim how it's "expensive" ($5 a month...really?) or how they don't want to support an industry that pays so little to the animators (which of course makes little sense). for most people, it boils down to this: they'd rather pirate because it's free, convenient, and offers the best possible quality, only somewhat inferior to actual BDs - and the difference is probably not very noticeable.
DreamingBeatsNov 3, 2017 8:08 PM
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Nov 3, 2017 8:35 PM
ONE MORE PULL

Aug 2012
DreamingBeats said:
i'm sorry, but that's false. services such as CR are required to pay these companies due to licensing.
it's an indirect way of supporting the companies, but saying that the money doesn't go to the anime companies is simply not true.

You didn't get my point, payments to anime studio's from foreign markets doesn't benefit the source material or anime series because they ignore the foreign market. You're correct that they pay for the licensing, that goes directly to the anime studio and helps keep them animating. But those payments have no correlation to affecting whether they create another season, because they look to the Japanese statistics and demographics when determining popularity and potential sales because they are self-reliant on Japanese consumers and ignore foreign consumers.

The anime industry is mostly self-reliant on everything within Japan. Foreign markets are just not willing to pay large prices for anime the same way they do in Japan. This coupled with the fact that the foreign market is a niche as well means that there isn't much worth in investing in the foreign market. There's also the fact that the anime are meant to advertise the source material where in the foreign market, anime is the end for most people which means they can't be expected to buy the source material which has a high chance of not even being licensed.

Seeing as 80% of the source material is never licensed to foreign markets, US/CA in particular, there's no benefit to paying for services that license anime for foreign usage like Crunchyroll since it goes towards the anime studio which doesn't directly affect the source material in any way.
Nov 3, 2017 9:23 PM

Aug 2014
Ame said:
DreamingBeats said:

You didn't get my point, payments to anime studio's from foreign markets doesn't benefit the source material or anime series because they ignore the foreign market. You're correct that they pay for the licensing, that goes directly to the anime studio and helps keep them animating. But those payments have no correlation to affecting whether they create another season, because they look to the Japanese statistics and demographics when determining popularity and potential sales because they are self-reliant on Japanese consumers and ignore foreign consumers.

The anime industry is mostly self-reliant on everything within Japan. Foreign markets are just not willing to pay large prices for anime the same way they do in Japan. This coupled with the fact that the foreign market is a niche as well means that there isn't much worth in investing in the foreign market. There's also the fact that the anime are meant to advertise the source material where in the foreign market, anime is the end for most people which means they can't be expected to buy the source material which has a high chance of not even being licensed.

Seeing as 80% of the source material is never licensed to foreign markets, US/CA in particular, there's no benefit to paying for services that license anime for foreign usage like Crunchyroll since it goes towards the anime studio which doesn't directly affect the source material in any way.

Well done nicely said.
I cannot agree more about it.

Keeping anime for themselves (Japanese) is it really a great idea?

If theres 1 wish about this industry, i am just hoping that Manga and LN are translated to English as soon the Japanese version released instead waiting the legal came out or fans translating it.
I don't mind throwing bucks for a whole physical or digital collection.

I just don't want a half assed adaptation which explained on Gigguk Video and waiting the source material to get translated..
Nov 3, 2017 9:31 PM
Mar 2014
Darek said:
Hanmace said:
You have nothing to add to the conversation. The dude doesn't pirate himself, and even makes a point as to; 'I'm not going to start pirating because then it would seem like this video is a justification for it.' If you're not going to watch the video, don't comment in the fucking thread.
But I DO have something to add to this conversation, and i did add to it already. I know you guys don't like to be told how it is, but sorry, that is just how it is.

Oh and me watching that video has fuck all to do with anything here, I was not responding directly to the video but to the idiots in this thread trying to justify themselves.
What about this then? It is about shitty service, I could live in a country where region issues prevent me from getting most anime on CR.

Even if that wasn't the case I still wouldn't pay. Crunchy roll provides low-quality subs and video, just to save a little cash. If I want to support the industry, I'll do it in a way that actually supports it.

Some of these points were made in the video you didn't watch. You haven't even heard the reason some of these people believe these things, yet you're calling them out. This thread is about the video, and you didn't watch it. You have nothing to add.
Nov 3, 2017 10:04 PM

Jan 2014
Yudina said:
A large number of people cutting their subscriptions and starting to pirate will force streaming sites to innovate, make a better product, and bring back not only those ex-subscribers but bring in the HUGE market of people who never cared about supporting the industry in the first place.
lol people actually believe this

Why do people have to make up justifications for pirating rather than just admitting that rationally free is better than priced if you're getting the exact same product?
"honestly i dont care about it being piracy or not i just want unlimited and good service for free and if these guys wants to beat the pirating then they might as well do the exact same thing as the pirate sites do to compete and gain da money with less annoying timetaking adds" this is what everyone would think like when they feel the fucking annoyance of chrunchyroll not even getting serious about doing their job to bring out unlimited anime like they promised on their fucking add (or at least thats how i remembered the add).
"to them, all theyre doing is business but they make themselves appear as charity that also promises good streaming and something unlimited. this site doesnt even try harder than the pirate sites to fullfill the need of the watchers so why support them?! or are they just bad programers?!" is what pirates on the inside thinks man!!
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Nov 3, 2017 10:08 PM

Aug 2016
As an aspiring voice actress, I am against pirating and think all unsupporting streaming sites should be taken down. Some of these streaming sites even try to make money off of stolen content so you defiantly should not be supporting that.

You shouldn't pirate because people worked hard to make these shows and they need to make enough money if you want them to make more anime. Not enough money means less shows for you to enjoy because creators won't be able to afford to make them.

Plus sites like Funimation which I have are very cheap and have no annoying ads plus they don't have as much stuttering and connection problems like some illegal streaming sites do. Yes, there are some things about them that could be better, but that doesn't make pirating okay.

They don't have every show, so I can understand why you would want to stream some shows, but you should defiantly support anime as much as you can.
MagicalMysticVANov 3, 2017 10:21 PM
Heya, I'm Mystic, the NSFW voice actress & anime girl streamer!
https://twitter.com/MagicalMysticVA
https://discord.gg/uy6vSyH
Nov 3, 2017 10:25 PM

May 2015
Darek said:
Hanmace said:
But I DO have something to add to this conversation, and i did add to it already. I know you guys don't like to be told how it is, but sorry, that is just how it is.

Oh and me watching that video has fuck all to do with anything here, I was not responding directly to the video but to the idiots in this thread trying to justify themselves.

You didn't tell it how it is though. There's legit reasons to pirate, even beyond the fact that every legal site is dogshit.

Nov 3, 2017 11:48 PM

Mar 2013
People pay primarily to support the industry in a way that isn't solely tied to purchasing expensive merchandise. I do this with games like Stardew Valley, whose creator I think merits my hard earned cash. I like to pay when I feel money is earned, as a sense of gratitude. To not is to simply be a greedy cheapskate, and a dick.

The problem arises with how the market for creative works tends to go. With exclusive streaming rights, sites are essentially establishing monopolies of various series, to which fans subscribe out of a lack of choice and a preference for their favorite anime.

Problem is that this hardly gives a big incentive for legal streamers to innovate, leading to bad subtitles, servers, region restrictions, a lack of simulcasts, etc. People want to support, but they are also restricted where they can legally stream.

To be honest, I think the reasoning of "Because it is cheaper" undermines the merits of pirating to be a grossly self absorbed obsession over counting pennies, instead of the bigger problem.

Legal streaming sites are inferior in many ways to easily pirating the anime. In fairness, a corporate setting or desire will almost never beat a project of passion. (*Cough Creator's Club in Fallout 4*)
PeripheralVisionNov 3, 2017 11:53 PM
Nov 4, 2017 1:52 AM

Sep 2016
DarkAnimeAngel said:
As an aspiring voice actress, I am against pirating and think all unsupporting streaming sites should be taken down. Some of these streaming sites even try to make money off of stolen content so you defiantly should not be supporting that.

You shouldn't pirate because people worked hard to make these shows and they need to make enough money if you want them to make more anime. Not enough money means less shows for you to enjoy because creators won't be able to afford to make them.

Plus sites like Funimation which I have are very cheap and have no annoying ads plus they don't have as much stuttering and connection problems like some illegal streaming sites do. Yes, there are some things about them that could be better, but that doesn't make pirating okay.

They don't have every show, so I can understand why you would want to stream some shows, but you should defiantly support anime as much as you can.

Nothing is stolen, it's all copied... Learn the difference. Stop it with this black-and-white thinking that all pirates harm creators. Only pirates who were initially planning to buy their products result in a lost sale. People like me, who never intended to buy in the first place, have no effect on the industry. Western audiences don't bring in enough money to even matter. The industry shouldn't rely on western support to begin with since it's made for a Japanese audience. Don't think I'm justifying myself either. I take what I can get because it's free and I don't care about the industry. The industry doesn't care about you either, they care about your money.

They deserve this for region-locking everything. Many people aren't even able to watch a lot of anime in legal sites because of this stupid restriction. Even so, some people are okay with this and still support them despite getting fuc
ked over. In that case, it's not a matter of money anymore. You're a pathetic doormat if you accept that. If people want to support the industry, they should buy things that are actually worth their money and can't be pirated, like merchandise.

Do you realise that a lot of people became anime fans because of piracy and that some of them spend money on merchandise that they otherwise never would have if it weren't for piracy? Piracy by itself isn't harm
ful, it all depends on the reasons why people do it.

Every time I visit a thread about piracy, people will say you're stealing and will group all pirates together as if they're all doing it for the same reasons. And then there are some who think they are superior because of their morals.
You people irritate me.

Nov 4, 2017 2:04 AM

Aug 2017
Why only Pirate when you can get a free chrunchyroll premium account + Then theres pirating as well.

Its a win using you're PC and your mobile device for anime watching purposes at recommended situations. So having fun on both is the best way to go without spending a single dime ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Nov 4, 2017 2:17 AM
Feb 2017

You aren't paying because you can't get anime other ways. You are essentially donating. "I want to support the industry, so anime/dubbing/subbing doesn't die. I want to give you money without buying plastic crap." They couldn't even bother to put a donation button on their website, setting up Patreon, whatever. This is the only way.
Nov 4, 2017 2:28 AM

Jun 2016
More streaming on illegal sites=More pop-up ads
Nov 4, 2017 3:48 AM

Sep 2016
Pyxus said:
More streaming on illegal sites=More pop-up ads

There are these things called "ad blockers", have you ever heard of them?

Nov 4, 2017 3:57 AM

Sep 2016
Killbay_Kun said:
You SHOULD Pirate Anime.

Yeah, sure. Just like you should go to work for little or no pay, because the rest of the world is entitled to whatever product or service your company provides without paying for it.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Opinions on characters colors!

Yonahim_Zz - 12 hours ago

33 by Coaghim »»
20 seconds ago

Poll: » How you decide what anime to watch next

ST63LTH - 10 hours ago

16 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
53 seconds ago

» A century-old anime just discovered in Japan

TRC_Randy - Yesterday

18 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
3 minutes ago

» If you could change one anime into being a hardcore ecchi, which one would you pick?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

11 by Spunkert »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list? ( 1 2 )

Cammell - Yesterday

76 by perseii »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.