Forum Settings
Forums

Why You Would Not Want To Live in a Harem Anime Genre

New
Oct 8, 2017 12:15 AM

Aug 2017
Imagine this.

You one day live in a world that revolves around harem anime with a RomCom atmosphere. Definitely the ultimate form of wish fulfillment here. Every girl is hot, desirable and unfairly attractive with colorful personalities. Of course, you'd hope to snag one of these lovely ladies for yourself and maybe even build a harem that you pretend not to like having around, right?

But here's the thing...you're not the main protagonist.

You're a side character, relegated to as support. You don't get special powers. You don't get your overpowered item given to you by a goddess who dropped down below.

No.

At best you're the main character's best buddy...who unfortunately ends his line with "toilet seat cover" every sentence.

Lucky you, you get to watch this guy snag hot chicks left and right. Even if you had a childhood friend whom you have very strong feelings for, she somehow falls for the MC despite him not really doing anything except for being a nice guy (or a bad boy, or a pervert, or etc; they're usually one-dimensional).

How would you feel if you lived in a world like this? What would you do?

I mean, imagine being a side character in a harem anime. You'd have little to no chance getting a girl and hoping that the MC is kind enough to dump one of his hoes so she can cling on to you, giving you sloppy seconds.

It'd be a nightmare most people haven't even fathomed. While I don't hate the concept of harem anime, I hate how it's being portrayed recently. Characters have to be brain dead in order for it to work, no semblance of depth or believable characterization when it comes to them.

The world of harem genre specifically caters one man and one man alone. Every other guy is degraded into being somehow lesser than him either by being a massive pervert or just plain evil. If you're lucky, you'll just be that bland guy at the background.

I've started this because I've noticed that whenever an MC gets a harem the guys in the background would often be jealous of him, making them look stupid and undesirable in comparison. When I think about it and ask myself: is their jealousy really unfair?

Imagine having all the women falling for this guy because of, what, he's a good guy deep down inside despite them having nothing in common with him or barely spending any time with him? That's pretty shallow.

I hate the fact that harem anime has to portray every character as shallow just for the sake of romance. There's no build up, things happened too fast, and women are reduced to lustful sex objects for this to happen.

To be clear, this isn't an attack on harem in general. Humanity isn't going to be reminded of living in humiliation at the other side of the screen—the real world.

I do love the concept of harem anime. Having multiple love interests to choose from isn't a bad premise in any way. But when taken into consideration, the character chemistry makes no sense. Women fall for him left and right despite having nothing in common. It's wish fulfillment at its finest.

There are good harem anime out there, such as My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu with an actual believable and in-depth main character. Unfortunately, this is pretty much the only one I've found that actually has good character chemistry.

I have to admit, harem anime is a guilty pleasure of mine. But I hate the fact that it's pretty low effort nowadays. I guess it's always been like that.

If you guys can suggest a harem anime to me with characters that have actual depth and good chemistry that can go somewhere close to Oregairu, please tell me and why and I'll tell you what I think. If you think I'm wrong, please tell me why I'm wrong, and if you're convincing I'll even agree with you.
User627Oct 8, 2017 12:19 AM
La Li Lu Le Lo
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 8, 2017 12:22 AM

Apr 2015
Well, I can suggest harem anime with at least a more tolerable MC than Oregairu, which is all of the harem anime I've completed...
Oct 8, 2017 12:22 AM
Jul 2018
First can I get tl:dr

But what's wrong with getting that puss puss
Oct 8, 2017 12:33 AM
Sep 2017
@User627

When people talk about this topic they are usually talking about being the main chacter

As for harem anime

amagami ss

Note: Kaoru best girl

FEMINISM IS CANCER!!!!!
Oct 8, 2017 12:35 AM

Aug 2017
@Lanz

Please do. What do you have in mind?

@Tencent__Weeb

Because you're not going to be getting that sweet puss. You're the side character—the joke. That's the point of the thread; for anyone else who isn't the protagonist, the harem genre can be a nightmare.
La Li Lu Le Lo
Oct 8, 2017 12:36 AM
Jul 2018
at one point I had multiple guys pursing me irl
it wasn't fun
half the time you really wouldn't even like over half of the people who're going after you, and it becomes more meddlesome than funny or cute when a gaggle of people are more or less into you
no space and no alone time, unwanted attention galore
Oct 8, 2017 12:37 AM

Aug 2017
@AnimeotakuWeeb

Then they should consider what it means to NOT be the main character.

I'l check out this Amagami SS since you've recommended.
La Li Lu Le Lo
Oct 8, 2017 12:42 AM

Aug 2017
@spuukiebuugi

Well, not sure how to tackle that subject since I don't have multiple women coming after me irl.

But imagine the reverse scenario. Too much space, too much alone time and no wanted attention. At least with your male harem, you get a pick or a potential love interest. Imagine having to compete with a girl who can somehow charm all of them with no problems and earn their undying loyalty even the guy you do prefer. That sucks. Jealousy doesn't feel good.

But I do agree with you, the quality of love is more important than the quantity. I wonder how you choose your prospective partner when there's too many interested.
La Li Lu Le Lo
Oct 8, 2017 12:43 AM
Jul 2018
User627 said:
@spuukiebuugi

Well, not sure how to tackle that subject since I don't have multiple women coming after me irl.

But imagine the reverse scenario. Too much space, too much alone time and no wanted attention. At least with your male harem, you get a pick or a potential love interest. Imagine having to compete with a girl who can somehow charm all of them with no problems and earn their undying loyalty even the guy you do prefer. That sucks. Jealousy doesn't feel good.

But I do agree with you, the quality of love is more important than the quantity. I wonder how you choose your prospective partner when there's too many interested.

Neither situation would be ideal no matter the gender. Guys and girls alike.
Someone is inevitably gonna get heartbroken or friendzoned.
Oct 8, 2017 12:46 AM

Sep 2017
I will probably kill myself. Thank you op.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 8, 2017 12:48 AM
Jul 2018
@User627

Not unless its a doujin were the side-character gets the puss puss
Oct 8, 2017 12:49 AM

Aug 2017
@spuukiebuugi

Depends on the person. Some people like being chased. Why do you think the harem genre is so appealing to the mass medium? It's a wish fulfillment trope that can have consequences in real life (exaggerated example: School Days)

That's the problem with the harem genre. Someone is going to get left out, heartbroken IRL. But in fiction, the harem just doesn't know when to quit and keeps pursuing the protagonist anyway despite him/her clearly not being interested.

Most of the people believe they'd go for a harem end anyway in that kind of world or keep stringing their love pursuers along so they don't have to choose.
La Li Lu Le Lo
Oct 8, 2017 12:51 AM

Aug 2017
@nymi

Please don't. Never being able to spread your genes may sound sad, but there's more to life than puss.

@Tencent__Weeb

Rarely. If it's a doujin, then the main character usually goes for a harem end. Best case scenario, you get a taste; worst care scenario, you get NTR'd.
La Li Lu Le Lo
Oct 8, 2017 12:51 AM

Feb 2016
Obviously, you'd only wanna live in a harem when youre the MC, if youre not the MC, then there's no reason, there are also series where every male MC gets a harem, even some side male characters.

Harem end best btw
Oct 8, 2017 12:53 AM

Aug 2017
@BlackFIFA19

That's why I wanted to question the aspects of this wish fulfillment trope. Being the main character can seem like a dream in an anime, but imagine being in a harem anime and NOT being the main character. Things can quickly go into a nightmare.

Imagine the MC seducing your mom without even trying. *shudders*
La Li Lu Le Lo
Oct 8, 2017 12:59 AM

Sep 2017
I'd rather be a side character of a shounen action knowing that ill die and maybe boost the main character's power or something than be a side character of a harem.

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 8, 2017 1:01 AM

Feb 2016
User627 said:
@BlackFIFA19

That's why I wanted to question the aspects of this wish fulfillment trope. Being the main character can seem like a dream in an anime, but imagine being in a harem anime and NOT being the main character. Things can quickly go into a nightmare.

Imagine the MC seducing your mom without even trying. *shudders*

Well not really a nightmare, it just sucks this weird plain guy is getting all the beauties and rubs in your face all the time,

Well obviously then id fuck him up, you dont fuck your bro's mom
Oct 8, 2017 1:05 AM

Aug 2017
@nymi

Better to be your own identity than just an accessory of the main character to get stronger. I'd rather steal the spotlight.

@BlackFIFA19

Every girl is taken, and none left for you. Now that sucks. It can be a nightmare depending on the circumstances and actual tropes being played.

Well good luck with that. Your mom may not be too enthusiastic with the thought of you "fucking up" her lover. Classic NTR scenario.

@Everbody

On that note, how come I can't see my profile picture? And how do you guys get those kickass signatures?! I want those! Someone please tell me!
La Li Lu Le Lo
Oct 8, 2017 1:08 AM
Jun 2017
"The World God Only Knows"
That's all
Oct 8, 2017 1:09 AM

Feb 2016
User627 said:
@nymi

Better to be your own identity than just an accessory of the main character to get stronger. I'd rather steal the spotlight.

@BlackFIFA19

Every girl is taken, and none left for you. Now that sucks. It can be a nightmare depending on the circumstances and actual tropes being played.

Well good luck with that. Your mom may not be too enthusiastic with the thought of you "fucking up" her lover. Classic NTR scenario.

@Everbody

On that note, how come I can't see my profile picture? And how do you guys get those kickass signatures?! I want those! Someone please tell me!

It also depends on how interested one is in getting girls,

Well i dont care about that, doing one's mom is something you just dont do,

also here Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2017 1:15 AM

Sep 2017
User627 said:
@nymi

@BlackFIFA19

@Everbody

Its contradictory. I said Id rather be a side character in a shounen than a harem since ill die like a hero than be a comedy relief of the dense harem mc and dying a virgin. Many vn of harems never showed the fate of side characters.

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 8, 2017 1:18 AM

Aug 2017
@Long_Ng

Already saw it. Forgot about that title. One of the anime of the harem genre that I genuinely enjoyed without being too bothered by lack of characterization.

@BlackFIFA19

That's a problem with anime. With some characters bound to follow tropes, meaning they're more likely to find the main character more desirable than you. You'll most likely be a consolation prize and treated like crap even though you're already together. That would be an interesting anime. A drama about being the side character in a harem anime.

Also, thanks a bunch, I'm already doing some stuff on my end to get my Forum Profile and Signature.
La Li Lu Le Lo
Oct 8, 2017 1:20 AM

Feb 2016
User627 said:
@Long_Ng

Already saw it. Forgot about that title. One of the anime of the harem genre that I genuinely enjoyed without being too bothered by lack of characterization.

@BlackFIFA19

That's a problem with anime. With some characters bound to follow tropes, meaning they're more likely to find the main character more desirable than you. You'll most likely be a consolation prize and treated like crap even though you're already together. That would be an interesting anime. A drama about being the side character in a harem anime.

Also, thanks a bunch, I'm already doing some stuff on my end to get my Forum Profile and Signature.

Well that sure as hell would be an interesting setting for a series, id read it!
also maybe this is something for you Gay

no problem
Oct 8, 2017 1:23 AM
Aug 2017
I don't have much experience with the harem genre but i think i could recommend you Date A Live . The MC is pretty dense and one-dimensional but the girls love him for what he does actually , saving them from a life of fearing for their own safety. Also , by the end of season two , You are shown a very interesting side of him . All in all , the characters are well constructed and their interactions are not only funny , but also relatively realistic . Plus , nobody is jealous on Shido (the MC) for being a harem king , because they don't even know . His closest friend isn't a generic harem side-character , but he's a pretty strange guy .
Also , i haven't watched it but a friend recomended me Freezing , which apparently is pretty similar , or at least that's what he says .
OyAlinDesuOct 8, 2017 1:28 AM
Oct 8, 2017 1:27 AM

Aug 2017
nymi said:
User627 said:
@nymi

@BlackFIFA19

@Everbody

Its contradictory. I said Id rather be a side character in a shounen than a harem since ill die like a hero than be a comedy relief of the dense harem mc and dying a virgin. Many vn of harems never showed the fate of side characters.

I'm just saying, do things for yourself if in that scenario than become too obsessed with helping out the MC. Hopefully, things will work out for you.

@BlackFIFA19

I honestly thought you're calling me gay until I clicked the link. Yeah, looks interesting. I'll check it out. A gay guy as a harem lead, huh? First I've seen of that.

If you're looking for anything remotely close to what I said, check out My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. Don't let the name fool you. It's drama (and comedy) about a cynical loner who rambles philosophy as to why anime tropes are BS. Check it out at least if it catches your interest, friend.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/14813/Yahari_Ore_no_Seishun_Love_Comedy_wa_Machigatteiru?q=yahari
La Li Lu Le Lo
Oct 8, 2017 1:28 AM

Aug 2017
@OyAlinDesu

Already watched it. Every season in fact. He's pretty much one of those kinds of guys I'm talking about up above. Almost every girl falls into his lap. Imagine having to compete with this guy for the attention of your love interest.

I disagree with him being very "realistic" he has no traits that makes him unique or even give him depth apart from the other harem protagonists.
User627Oct 8, 2017 1:32 AM
La Li Lu Le Lo
Oct 8, 2017 1:36 AM
Aug 2017
User627 said:
@OyAlinDesu

Already watched it. Every season in fact. He's pretty much one of those kinds of guys I'm talking about up above. Almost every girl falls into his lap. Imagine having to compete with this guy for the attention of your love interest.

Yes they do , but they kind of have a reason to . About competing with him i agree , it's pretty much impossible but at least there's nobody trying except for that Kannazuki guy (not really a competition but he likes Shido's sister)
Oct 8, 2017 1:37 AM

Feb 2013
oregairu is not that much of a harem..
Oct 8, 2017 1:42 AM

Aug 2017
HAH! I often think about this, too..
Oct 8, 2017 1:44 AM

Aug 2017
@OyAlinDesu

Their reason for chasing after him is pretty much just a flimsy excuse for fanservice. Why do you think their clothes blow up every time after kiss? Because fanservice to reel in the male demographic.

While true, the main girls are interesting (Kurumi more especially the only reason why many people even tuned in to the show) they just lack any form of personal depth after their arc. It's almost as though they were trying to copy the World God Only Knows with their own spin on things.

Many things are left to the suspension of disbelief. A giant ship flying in the middle of the city with a perverted crew commanded by a redhaireed loli with pigtails? How's that realistic? They don't even try to portray it right or give any semblance of meaning. It's just there for no real reason than to make things look cooler. The world's physics are so chunky that an all female elite unit has a difficult time finding the beach because of said loli rearranging the layout of the city in a matter of seconds to delay them?

I will say that I did enjoy the show. It was one of my guilty pleasures. But I honestly don't think it's all that different from your typical harem genre. In fact, it's got many similarities with To Love Ru.
La Li Lu Le Lo
Oct 8, 2017 1:52 AM

Mar 2012
I don't really know what you are really talking about but the answer is always Rokujouma no SHinryakusha. Every answer to all your harem problem.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 8, 2017 1:53 AM

Aug 2017
@romagia

Yes, it is. It may not follow the same construct as other harem anime, but the tropes are there. Multiple love interests to choose from.

Maybe the reason why one could consider Oregairu not to be a harem is because we're so used to seeing harem anime that don't have much depth to it. The pacing for Oregairu is so wonderfully slow and realistic that it's honestly something we haven't seen before.

A contrast to this would be Toradora. It's mostly romantic comedy than a harem since the story is focused on the love story of the two main characters, Yuuji and Taiga. Something similar to this but contrasting would be Oreimo, but is more of a harem due to the focus being on multiple love interests rather than just his sister, which is an odd choice for a romantic interest in herself.

@LaiElvi

Glad to see I'm not alone. Mind sharing your thoughts more?
La Li Lu Le Lo
Oct 8, 2017 1:55 AM

Jun 2017
i don't like harem anime that much...but i loved zero no tsukaima (4 seasons 48 ep) so you can give it a try..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2017 1:57 AM

Aug 2017
@NeoAnkara

I apologize if you're confused, but I thought I pretty much explained it clearly. Just tell me what you don't understand and I'll try to expound on it.

This Rokujouma no Shinryakusha, I'll check it out. Artsyle looks interesting, at least. I read the premise and it does sound interesting.

In return, I dare you to try My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/14813/Yahari_Ore_no_Seishun_Love_Comedy_wa_Machigatteiru?q=yahari

@Everyone

I have to thank you for all the recommendations. You've really given me some things to watch on my spare time.
User627Oct 8, 2017 2:04 AM
La Li Lu Le Lo
Oct 8, 2017 1:59 AM

Aug 2017
@PanosK

Ah, I've heard of that one. The premise never really caught on to me though. Looking at the photos, the characters look cute at least. I'll think about this one. I've heard many people talking about it.
La Li Lu Le Lo
Oct 8, 2017 2:05 AM

Mar 2012
User627 said:
@NeoAnkara

I apologize if you're confused, but I thought I pretty much explained it clearly. Just tell me what you don't understand and I'll try to expound on it.

This Rokujouma no Shinryakusha, I'll check it out. Artsyle looks interesting, at least. I read the premise and it does sound interesting.

In return, I dare you to try My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU.

I have watch all of the OVA and sequel though.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 8, 2017 2:30 AM

Feb 2016
User627 said:
nymi said:

I'm just saying, do things for yourself if in that scenario than become too obsessed with helping out the MC. Hopefully, things will work out for you.

@BlackFIFA19

I honestly thought you're calling me gay until I clicked the link. Yeah, looks interesting. I'll check it out. A gay guy as a harem lead, huh? First I've seen of that.

If you're looking for anything remotely close to what I said, check out My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. Don't let the name fool you. It's drama (and comedy) about a cynical loner who rambles philosophy as to why anime tropes are BS. Check it out at least if it catches your interest, friend.

XD i knew that was gonna happen, luckily you did find out it was a link,

Ive already seen Oregairu! i even own the first volume of the Novel ;D
Oct 8, 2017 2:50 AM

Aug 2016
Sometimes the toilet seat character might get the piss from the emotionless glasses character. No matter how you get it in the end its okay as long as you end up in bed
Oct 8, 2017 2:50 AM
Feb 2014
Considering 99% of MAL's male userbase is gay or beta as fuck thanks to peer pressure taste mobs, as the 1% I object and would love to drown in puss all day if I were given that chance.
Oct 8, 2017 3:45 AM

Jul 2013
AnimeotakuWeeb said:
As for harem anime

amagami ss

Note: Kaoru best girl
Don't mind me, I just quoted this because it's the absolute truth.
Oct 8, 2017 4:06 AM

Jan 2017
Hmm.. tough question for me coz I never really considered the side character... but some harem series have different outcomes...do they really all marry (Smartphone in another world) or marry one and somehow the rest of the girls choose to stay with the couple (bit like Familiar of Zero)? Or the rest of the girls go their separate ways like Nisekoi. We all might be rooting for one best girl, who will be different depending on our choice. If the MC didn't choose my best girl for his own and I'm the side character, I might a chance.

I mean, in Rokujouma no Shinryakusha, if the MC chooses Harumi, as Mackenzie, I'd gladly like Theia.. will welcome Ruth if they come in a package.
Oct 8, 2017 4:12 AM

Jul 2015
harems and love triangles are pure cancer
fuck , there is always so many wasted poor waifus
you guys don't even feel bad for the losers? heartless bastards

i prefer Tsurezure Children or amagami ss format
every girl have it partner/arc

again fuck all harems where the best girl don't wins
THEY MUST BE BURNED IN THE DEPTH OF HELL
Oct 8, 2017 4:14 AM

Jun 2017
In school days

Also, I don't think there is "actual depth and good chemistry" in this anime, I like it because they can't understand each other at all and still try. And it leads to some kind of unique feeling I found nowhere else.
Oct 8, 2017 4:26 AM

Nov 2014
In pretty sure no one is talking about being a side character.

I never understood the whole craze over harems. The best part of love is the time and dedication to your 1 and only
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Oct 8, 2017 5:03 AM

Sep 2015
well there is a trope where the side characters get at least one girl, and their relationship is somehow better than any relationship the main character has with his harem.

also
>Snafu
>actual depth
i'm done
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Oct 8, 2017 5:31 AM

Mar 2016
I kill the MC and take his women for myself.
Oct 8, 2017 6:53 AM

Aug 2017
@DancingTheBa

But what if the MC goes for a harem end? You'll be #ForeverAlone.

@Nico-

But that's the point of this thread. You're not going to be given the chance at all, because some overpowered spoiled pretty boy is getting all the tail.

@Illyricus

Nah, Tokine Yukimura is best girl.

@2dculture

But what if he takes them all? That's the scary thing about wish fulfillment. If you get yours, someone else will suffer. What if you're in the receiving end of being NTR'd?

@tragedydesu

I think your name speaks for itself. But yeah, I feel sorry for all the side characters being degraded into laughing stocks so the MC can look better. Going to check those anime out.

Also, I don't hate love triangles and harem anime. Oregairu and Toradora have already proven that they can work. I hate that most anime that caters to this genre are low effort.

@KaKtusKipiK

I thought that School Days did have depth. It was self aware. It was a deconstruction. Granted, a bit exaggerated form of deconstruction but it's still there nonetheless.

@BurningSpirit

Right. The quality of love over the quantity. That's the ideal situation. But you have to admit, that fantasizing about being able to have an abundance of choices for your love interests does seem desirable in some way.

@Tonysol67

I don't suppose you're talking about Irregular Magic High School, are you? I never gave it a chance after finding out that the MC was, again, and overpowered and emotionless chick magnet with no actual real challenge.

Though yeah, I did praise it for girls who actually have enough self respect and interests to not waste their time with one guy who clearly doesn't return their feelings. It's one of those anime where I find the side characters more interesting than the main ones.

@TheDeadApostle

Due to the rules of anime, you'd be that villain that the MC is bound to defeat due to some BS move that is in no way fair. You'd most likely die trying to NTR him because the protagonist of a harem anime always has A+ charisma that he magnetically attracts women to him just by being himself.

Unless it's an NTR doujin, then I'd say you're not that better than the MC. Then again, it's hard for me to consider harem girls as actual people instead of scripted actors only made to stroke the protagonist's ego.
La Li Lu Le Lo
Oct 8, 2017 6:58 AM

Aug 2015
So... Here I should imagine a scene where there's quiet a number of guy chasing my friend and I'm just a "place" for that friend (MC) to tell her love stories between these guys right...?

Well, good news for you it has happened FOR REAL in my life and still ongoing even now.. And my reaction is... Pretty much 70% of what she says goes from one ear to another.. Lol XD

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Oct 8, 2017 7:01 AM
Jul 2018
Ugh, I wish the main character (or my best friend) can give some for me.
Oct 8, 2017 7:04 AM

Jun 2017
@User627
I was thinking about the the relationship between the character when quoting this part. I don't think they get to build depth relationship.
It's something else for the anime in itself.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

32 by nishant0 »»
3 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 3 hours ago

18 by somegayfrog »»
3 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9070 by anime-prime »»
5 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

3 by Spunkert »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 4 hours ago

22 by perseii »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.