Forum Settings
Forums

People Who Live Alone By Yourselves, How Do You Eat?

New
Aug 30, 2017 1:20 PM

Jul 2017
especially guys / college students

how do you solve your breakfast/lunch/dinner problems?

do you cook or do you go buy food?

I'm tired of frozen food and instant noodle but the thing is cooking takes a lot of time and effort and I'm not that good at it either

for breakfast its quite simple
eggs and some random bread is okay

for lunch and dinner its a pain
I don't know what to buy to be honest since I'm looking forward to stay healthy [any food that does not require you to heavily prepare is unhealthy... at least in my experience]

I start to miss my mom's cooking lol

seriously how do you people who live alone by yourselves eat? do you know how to cook?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 30, 2017 1:38 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
It will never be healthy unless you learn how to cook. But since I can't here's what I usually do.

Breakfast - whatever is in the fridge or just some cereal if there's nothing else
Lunch - Usually outside/fastfood
Dinner - depends on how lazy you are/how much time you are willing to spend
1. Order something. (chance of failure: 1-3%)
2. Buy something frozen and put it in the oven. (chance of failure: 10-15%)
3. Get a cooking book/visit a website, find something that looks edible and simple and follow the instructions. (chance of failure: high)
Aug 30, 2017 1:40 PM

Feb 2015
Get potatoes.
Get vegetables.
Get meat.
Mix together.
Cook meal.

Easy peasy. Doesn't take up that much time either if you keep it simple.
Aug 30, 2017 1:51 PM

Apr 2013
If you know how to cook it's pretty easy and if you don't, takeouts and Mr.Noodle packs are your good friends lol
Aidoru-OjisanAug 30, 2017 2:06 PM

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Aug 30, 2017 2:02 PM
Oct 2015
i think if you live alone you'll have to learn how to cook anyways. okay you dont have to but i think its pretty practical so why not just get to it right?:D
Aug 30, 2017 2:04 PM

Apr 2017
breakfast - anything more than cereal and fruit is overkill, waffles/bacon on the weekend tho
lunch - usually skip it tbh but uh usually subway if i do have it
dinner - the bodies of my enemies
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Aug 30, 2017 2:06 PM

Jun 2010
Salads and stir-fry are my go to's. Both healthy and easy.
Aug 30, 2017 2:32 PM

Mar 2015
My meals mostly consist of instant noodles, rice and or frozen food.
I never eat breakfast, for lunch i get coffee, sandwiches and a snack.
Im too lazy to cook everyday, i started to really appreciate my moms cooking after i left lol.
Been living like this for the past year and still going!
Aug 30, 2017 2:34 PM

May 2015
Cook a large meal that'll last you 4-5 days, you'll do less dishes through out the week this way. Eating straight out of the pot is acceptable too! Look for filling foods oatmeal, beans, etc. I tend to buy things I can eat raw as I hate prepping and cooking.

Invest in good quality knives it'll encourage you to cook more with the proper tools.
Aug 30, 2017 2:38 PM

Jul 2017
Ax-96 said:
My meals mostly consist of instant noodles, rice and or frozen food.
I never eat breakfast, for lunch i get coffee, sandwiches and a snack.
Im too lazy to cook everyday, i started to really appreciate my moms cooking after i left lol.
Been living like this for the past year and still going!

does it work well? how healthy are you?
emmm I am worried that I might get addicted to them because I'm too lazy to cook and lazy to buy as well

everytime I bought a lot of meals [frozen] that will last for a week at least and some prep food b

seriously you never eat breakfast? thats bad for your health :( I guess I have been like that the whole year when I was in highschool living by myself and I was experiencing all different kinds of problems [cant sleep well, constant fatigue, decrease in active thinking etc]
Aug 30, 2017 2:39 PM

Jul 2017
Yuna said:
Salads and stir-fry are my go to's. Both healthy and easy.

holy I forgot to buy salads every single time lol
but I guess what keeps me from buying them is they are too expensive
I can make salads on my own with fruits and veges
Aug 30, 2017 2:40 PM

Jul 2017
Weightless said:
i think if you live alone you'll have to learn how to cook anyways. okay you dont have to but i think its pretty practical so why not just get to it right?:D

well you know how to cook right?
I do know abit but it isnt enough for me to be self-reliant since I only know the basics [scramble eggs, rice, noodle etc]
Aug 30, 2017 2:42 PM

Jul 2016
Oh my, another one of these lesser questions that should be fairly obvious, oh well i have the time so why not

First i go to the store and buy the stuff i need for my dish, like last time i ate Taco, so i bought shells, onion, cheese, meat, butter, salad.

I then start making the food at home, wich is very simple! it just takes time

I then proceed to eat the food :) It's very simple, if you can't make food or don't have the money too, just make somthing simple, like spaghetti with sauce, spaghetti is the most simple thing ever, boil water, insert spaghetti
( Broken in half or full ) your choice, i prefer broken in half, and just warm up the sauce on the side.

But if you are short on money like me right now, just eat bread for a few days until you get your money and repeat, until you die
Aug 30, 2017 2:48 PM

Aug 2017
Haven't been living alone too long, but:

Breakfast: I either go for some fruit(Whatever is in discount this week), and if I'm treating myself a muffin from the supermarket in the trainstation.

Lunch: Soup, salad, or some bread. I'm planning on making myself some pancakes for brunch soon though.

Dinner: I usually go for rice dishes, since I dislike potato. Most pastas are easy to make as well. You can get very creative with rice, the taste can alter massively depending on the other ingredients. Wraps are also a great option.
One dish: Rice, Cashew nuts, curry powder(mixed with milk to make a sauce), leek.
Another dish: Rice, chicken, carrots, scallion, pineapple(from can), and some self made sauce.
Aug 30, 2017 2:53 PM

Mar 2015
xoO_Jerry_Oox said:

does it work well? how healthy are you?
emmm I am worried that I might get addicted to them because I'm too lazy to cook and lazy to buy as well

seriously you never eat breakfast? thats bad for your health :( I guess I have been like that the whole year when I was in highschool living by myself and I was experiencing all different kinds of problems [cant sleep well, constant fatigue, decrease in active thinking etc]

I am skinny but i wouldn't say particularly healthy because my body doesn't get all the nutrients it needs.
I just can't get myself to eat in the morning, i just have a cup of coffee to get me started!
Wouldn't suggest this lifestyle to anyone but i just can't be bothered anymore lmao

Aug 30, 2017 3:57 PM

Mar 2017
Milennin said:
Get potatoes.
Get vegetables.
Get meat.
Mix together.
Cook meal.

Easy peasy. Doesn't take up that much time either if you keep it simple.
you forgot cheese

lots of cheese ofc
Aug 30, 2017 4:24 PM

Jun 2015
I forget to eat a lot.

One day I only ate half a pack of mnms.

Aug 30, 2017 4:33 PM

Aug 2017
I tend to cook more than eat out. I cook about 2-3 meals worth and graze on the leftovers.
Aug 30, 2017 4:34 PM

Aug 2017
Learn to cook, it's a life skill everyone should have.

I cook about once a week, I make a large batch of whatever... soup, curry, stew, rice pudding, etc.
I put about 1/2 in the fridge and 1/2 in the freezer.
Then I only have to heat something up for the rest of the week, mix and match from the freezer as needed for variety.

Of course, having some staples on hand is essential. Flour. Rice. Pasta. Soy sauce. Sugar. Salt. Eggs. Bread. XYZ.
Aug 30, 2017 4:47 PM

Apr 2013
Yeah, cooking is the worst part. But really there are lots of things that require around or less than half an hour for preparation and cooking. And this can be for a balanced, tasty meal. If you're not interested in being healthy or eating yummy food cooking is going to be a bother. But it can be rewarding and as with most new things repetition will make it feel more automated and less of a task. It's also nice trying to master the kitchen isn't it? Though if it's too much you can stock up on canned food like tuna and beans, which isn't unhealthy. I nowadays only really eat at night or after exercise, a big meal and then maybe something later if I haven't fell asleep yet. Intermittent fasting is great if you don't want to be in the kitchen so much. +Plus.
Aug 30, 2017 5:12 PM

Aug 2017
Cooking is great fun; cleaning is evil
Aug 30, 2017 7:20 PM
Jul 2018
Naked, on the couch, slowly pouring honey on my naked body, waiting for a bear to attack then kill it devouring its meat for my daily meal.
Aug 30, 2017 9:48 PM

Jun 2016
I have a slow cooker and try to use that, because you can make a big batch of food and it lasts me throughout the week.

I pretty much make everything. I don't eat out unless it's for some social occassion. It costs too much and I usually feel overstuffed or like I ate something not very good for me.
The football field isn't the only place where you could use a good line.
Aug 31, 2017 12:58 AM

Jan 2010
xoO_Jerry_Oox said:
especially guys / college students

how do you solve your breakfast/lunch/dinner problems?

do you cook or do you go buy food?

I'm tired of frozen food and instant noodle but the thing is cooking takes a lot of time and effort and I'm not that good at it either

for breakfast its quite simple
eggs and some random bread is okay

for lunch and dinner its a pain
I don't know what to buy to be honest since I'm looking forward to stay healthy [any food that does not require you to heavily prepare is unhealthy... at least in my experience]

I start to miss my mom's cooking lol

seriously how do you people who live alone by yourselves eat? do you know how to cook?

1. Breakfast is just bread and jam usually. Or not eat at all.
2. Lunch at the univ food court with friends
3. Dinner I buy. There are tons of food stands around campus.

On day off, I used delivery service all the time because I'm too lazy to go out.

I can't cook to save my life.
Aug 31, 2017 2:40 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Get a crock pot. Get a pinterest. Make meals you can eat 2-3 days at a time.

Eats lots of fruit and vegtables. Find simple shit you can throw in a bag that you can snack on. Boiled eggs, apple slices, yogurt w/nuts.

I'd also reccomend finding out when sales for meat go on at your grocery store and buy a ton of mark downs and freeze it for your meals to budget yourself.
Aug 31, 2017 9:13 AM

Nov 2014
shotz said:
cooking is easy. the key is to make shit in bulk to save time/ingredients.
^This.
Additionally, if you are the kind of person who can't eat the same thing every day, try making meals that are easy to freeze or will stay good in the fridge for a long time. You can get healthier meals that are fast to reheat, healthy, and relatively inexpensive. Personally, I'm all about the soups and stews.
Aug 31, 2017 9:14 AM

Apr 2015
There are all sorts of single person cooking recipes out there. You can make damn near everything in a mug.

Though I personally am a bit of a slut for good frozen meals. Michael Angelo's is the best frozen Italian by far. There's a frozen spinach and goat cheese pizza I love.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 31, 2017 9:15 AM

Apr 2017
just cook... I don't see why this isn't obvious
Aug 31, 2017 9:40 AM

Feb 2008
i dont live by myself but i have to get my own food or ill starve

Breakfast is usually cereal if i manage to wake up early enough

for I usually have Instant meals cause i have a plethora of coupons or leftovers

and Dinner, is either simple oven meals, like Chicken cordon blu (super simple i promise) Spaghetti and meatballs, anything that involves eggs
chicken salad is probably my favorite

Just learn how to make noodles and chicken and you're set for life man
Sep 2, 2017 4:17 PM

Jul 2017
Unconcerned said:
You grow tired of the lazy options and put in a bit more effort. It's what I did, I got tired of ramen and frozen foods. Everyone new to cooking says they are bad at it. Just start with simple recipes and work your way up. Most things are really hard to mess up if you follow the directions, plus there is a youtube video for almost any dish step by step these days.

yeah that sounds reasonable
just tried cooking pasta today
It wasn't that bad since the instruction was simple
I guess you just can't find a healthy meal in the frozen food section
Sep 2, 2017 4:21 PM

Jul 2017
JackDuluoz said:
I have a slow cooker and try to use that, because you can make a big batch of food and it lasts me throughout the week.

I pretty much make everything. I don't eat out unless it's for some social occassion. It costs too much and I usually feel overstuffed or like I ate something not very good for me.

I just did it yesterday
I cooked a lot of potatos and tofu, mashing them with various vegetables and tons of pasta + bacon
It kind of look gross but it isn't that bad
it could potentially feed me for 5 days if my appetite doesn't flux
Sep 2, 2017 5:03 PM

Aug 2017
I live with my dad, but since he can´t cook i took responsability

IMO , the secret to keep it simple is to have breakfast like a king, since most of breaksfast´s food doesn´t really NEED to be cooked, so you´ll be pretty full and won´t need to have lunch till pretty late

For lunch there´s not really much to say, just put some vegetables there , rice and the stuff that youre into that day (doesn´t really needs to be healthy if your breakfast has already been one)

Finally, after having a big nice bf and luch, in theory you should not have to have too much hunger for dinner, so something easy as some tea and a sandwich can take care of it.
Sep 2, 2017 5:22 PM

Mar 2016
My friends tell me I eat way to many Bentos from the store.
I do know how to cook however.
It's a mix of Cook food, buy Bento or go out to eat with my Fiance or friends.
Every Friday my Fiance's family has family dinner with each other, since i'm seen as family i always have family dinner with them.
If I'm not there better have a reason why i missed family dinner?

I like to think i eat okay... medical wise i need to eat more food since i'm underweight but need to cut back on my salt intake cause of high blood pressure, even my blood surgar levels little high.
It's hard to gain weight when a good amount of the food i eat is Rice and Sea Food.
(I'm Asian)

Sep 2, 2017 5:25 PM

Jun 2016
xoO_Jerry_Oox said:

I just did it yesterday
I cooked a lot of potatos and tofu, mashing them with various vegetables and tons of pasta + bacon
It kind of look gross but it isn't that bad
it could potentially feed me for 5 days if my appetite doesn't flux

Yeah, you can just experiment with stuff like that or find recipes online. It's an economical way to eat and you don't have to think of something new everyday.
The football field isn't the only place where you could use a good line.
Sep 2, 2017 5:38 PM

Aug 2013
shotz said:
cooking is easy. the key is to make shit in bulk to save time/ingredients.
Yep

You can literally cook all your meals for the week in one day if you do it right. Saves money too.

For example if you buy an entire chicken for let's say 10 bucks which is highball as opposed to a carton of cold cut slices for 5 which is low ball you're getting more than three times the meat plus no extra salt and preservatives that come with the more processed pre-sliced stuff.

If you don't have tupperware containers you're gonna want to get a bunch of those to keep leftovers and such.

Also those instant noodles; yes they're relatively quick and easy but that's all salt and empty calories; if you're trying to get healthy try some actual pasta, doesn't take that much longer to cook and a whole box comes out to about 4 meals if you ration it correctly. I like whole grain stuff for energy and then whatever kind of sauce I've got around then meatballs for protein.

That's an actual MEAL; if you're trying to do any kind of physical or mental stressing activity you're gonna notice a big difference after you start eating things that give you sustenance vs ramen or whatever you're eating now. Your mood will improve a lot too.

Good luck! And read up on diet/cooking tutorials online. Most of my cooking skills I've gotten through youtube and cookbooks but it's all there if you look.
Sep 2, 2017 6:11 PM

Jun 2017
School food is pretty cheap and good where I live so I eat there for lunch and dinner.
Idk how it is where you are but it saves time and money for me.
It's only temporary tough
Sep 2, 2017 8:24 PM

Aug 2017
After a lengthy reconsideration, I've decided to change my answer to:

with a fork
Sep 2, 2017 8:25 PM

Apr 2017
I'ma lil boi and i kan kook prettttttyyyy gud

mah mommy taught meh
mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
Sep 3, 2017 12:25 AM

Aug 2010
Just learn to cook simple meals that are healthy for you! You need to stop eating out. Here was my meal plan when I was in college.

Breakfast: Eggs, Noodles, Toast, and Pancakes.
Lunch: I usually skipped it
Dinner: Curry, Spaghetti, hot tofu(it was a spicy stew with ground chicken or beef, tofu, and other vegetables), chicken teriyaki, and etc..

Learn to cook simple dishes! I know it's a pain but it's worth it in the end.

Sep 3, 2017 1:17 AM

Jul 2017
I lived alone for a while, I'd usually start the day with some oats (cheap and easy, not to mention pretty healthy). Lunch would often be something pretty simple, a sandwich or some leftovers from the last night. Dinners would often be something that I could make multiple servings out of, curries, stir fries, pasta, risotto, etc, stuff that I could make in bulk and freeze to eat the next night. I did eat meat for a while, but I ended up forgoing that particular endeavor as it ended up being too expensive. I could afford it now, just never really picked it back up, way I see it is if I don't need to eat meat I won't I guess.

As for snacks, I mainly just drank a lot of water, I'd buy fruit if it wasn't too expensive or if it was on sale, occasionally if I had the cash I'd buy dark chocolate or a sweet potato and use that to make some fries or something.

It's true what they say, eating on a tight budget really is the best diet.
Sep 3, 2017 1:27 AM

Jul 2017
I will just add that I'd wholly recommend learning how to cook. It might seem a bit daunting at first, but once you learn a few good recipes you can build on that, try starting with stir fry: I used to use a little oil, a packet of mixed frozen vegetables, some rice noodles, soy sauce and honey. Contrary to popular belief you don't need a wok to make a stir fry, but it does make it easier to make big batches. After a while start to experiment, add some different ingredients, some new spices, maybe try using fresh vegetables, capsicums, chilli, onions, garlic, ginger, cashews

Learning to cook isn't going to happen in a week though, if you're completely new, stick to what you know but try and make your own meals a few times a week. You'll probably mess up a few times, but that's okay, even the greatest chefs have made mistakes.
Sep 3, 2017 1:58 AM

May 2013
I've never lived alone... but if I did, I'd probably still eat the same shit that I do now.

THe main staples of my diet are

a)thick and creamy kraft macaronic and cheese
b)linguine pasta
c)hamburgers and turkey burgers

with these three food items... I can go far :D
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Sep 3, 2017 4:50 AM

Apr 2013
why don't u start off by using some easy recipes found on google? like one-pot pasta, or stir fry, or baked dishes. it's pretty easy if you just follow the recipe to the T and buy the ingredients. invest in staples like herbs, cooking sauces, seasonings, etc. stuff like soy sauce, dried herbs, etc last a looong ass time. same w/ garlic. buy one big pack of meat and freeze it, that can also last for 6 months-a year.

i'm pretty good at cooking so i can cook pretty much whatever i wanna eat, and i've been on my own for a couple of years now. but i'm lazy with a terrible lifestyle so i pretty much only make a sandwich when i wake up, then either eat out/cook one meal that counts as lunch-dinner.
Sep 3, 2017 4:57 AM

Aug 2015
while i live with other people, but its quite often that im by myself. usually 1-2 days but sometimes a couple weeks. I usually dont eat much and its really unhealthy. i usually survive off noodles, up and go's and frozen foods. there is better food but im too lazy to make anything
Sep 3, 2017 5:09 AM

Apr 2016
Soup saves the day, the week and the month.
Sep 3, 2017 5:10 AM

Jul 2009
Buy some cheap pork or ribs, throw them into the pan with oil & butter, and wait more or less 15 mins. That's how I survived my college years at least lol.
Sep 3, 2017 7:42 AM

Jul 2016
serving size is something that i'd say is the toughest problem when it comes to living alone. honestly, it might be wise to either:
a) cook large meals that you then freeze/refrigerate single serving portions into tupperwares for later on
b) learn how to cook one simple thing very well that you know you won't get sick of or can easily add variety to, something like eggs - poached/sunny-side up/scrambled with toast, omelettes, etc and then buy a stack of spices to switch up the taste every now and then

grouper - no other

0:00 ●━━━━━━─────── 3:46

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ◁ㅤㅤ❚❚ㅤㅤ▷ㅤㅤㅤㅤ↻

⁞⁞⁞ purple cause baal is my wife  ⁞⁞⁞
Sep 3, 2017 7:44 AM

Jan 2014
I don't live alone, so I eat whatever.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Sep 3, 2017 4:56 PM

Jul 2015
I like cooking so it's never been a problem for me.

I generally make asian food but my go to lazy meal is definitely baked salmon + salad.

Just toss the salmon into some foil, olive oil, seasonings. Don't even have to wash a plate if you eat from the foil lmao
mm_redvelvetSep 3, 2017 5:03 PM
☆ V E L V E T  (ハジメました) feel free to add/comment!

anime_list | BN_ID: #1404 | LoL: mmredvelvet

let's eat good food and play games together ~
Sep 3, 2017 5:21 PM

Jul 2017
sutori said:
why don't u start off by using some easy recipes found on google? like one-pot pasta, or stir fry, or baked dishes. it's pretty easy if you just follow the recipe to the T and buy the ingredients. invest in staples like herbs, cooking sauces, seasonings, etc. stuff like soy sauce, dried herbs, etc last a looong ass time. same w/ garlic. buy one big pack of meat and freeze it, that can also last for 6 months-a year.

i'm pretty good at cooking so i can cook pretty much whatever i wanna eat, and i've been on my own for a couple of years now. but i'm lazy with a terrible lifestyle so i pretty much only make a sandwich when i wake up, then either eat out/cook one meal that counts as lunch-dinner.

yeah sandwich I forgot about it
the only problem is I'm lazy to go out and shop them so I guess I have to go out more often
how do you learn to cook to be honest?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

28 by _Nette_ »»
9 minutes ago

» What anime character would make a good villian in Courage The Cowardly Dog and why?

vasipi4946 - 9 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
30 minutes ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

29 by ISeeLifePeople »»
58 minutes ago

» Believe it or not, but my father-in-law works for law enforcement

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

13 by hypergoob »»
1 hour ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

11 by xthewarwithinx »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.