Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Welcome to the Ballroom
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 8, 2017 1:15 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
To be honest, it wasn't a bad start at all. In fact, it was a pretty impressive start instead. For the first half of the show, I thought this would be one of those boring and cliche anime but the episode just got better as it went on. I'm not a big fan of dancing or sports animes in general, but I have got high hopes for this show. Animation and music are top notch too, as expected from Production I.G. The characters seem likable too but their appearance slightly bothers me. Hopefully, the story will be just as good. Fine start!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 8, 2017 1:31 AM
Sep 2016
Pretty good 1st ep.Can't wait for next one.
Jul 8, 2017 2:48 AM

Feb 2013
Good episode, really helps when the OP is that freaking perfect.
Jul 8, 2017 3:50 AM
Apr 2017
Great pilot episode!

Decent storyline, pace...

I love the art... but sometimes, the main lead's eyes are scary... hoho...

The dance movements are smooth... I unexpectedly smiled while watching the characters dance...

Looking forward to the next episode!
Jul 8, 2017 4:06 AM

Sep 2013
I can't help but see adult bakugo dancing when watching this after watching Boku no hero academia.
Jul 8, 2017 4:22 AM

Oct 2013
nice first episode looks promising.
Jul 8, 2017 4:33 AM

Dec 2014
Damn, I thought this was coming out tonight. Looks like I had the release date totally wrong.

Anyway, great starting episode.

I always love these kind of Sports/Shounen shows about finding the things you love and chasing after them with all your heart. This first episode is all that I need to know that I'm gonna love this. I have really high expectations for this one.

Characters are really likable and Sengoku reminds me of Takamura from Ippo. In fact, the episode itself does feel a little reminiscent of Ippo.

Really looking forward to more.
Jul 8, 2017 5:28 AM

Jun 2016
Loved its 1st episode. Decided to watch this because of that Levi dancing AD. Hahaha! And I can say that I already love this show. Can't wait for the next episode. The only bothering me in the show is their ridiculously long necks. Heck. The show's already good, so idc about that anymore. Hahaha. I know I'll get used to it.

The animation style is pretty unique, tbh.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jul 8, 2017 5:44 AM

Dec 2014
hmm that was something....let's see how it goes
Jul 8, 2017 5:54 AM

Mar 2009
Huh. This wasn't anything like Yuri on Ice, as everyone kept comparing it to. It was more like a shonen sports show but with dancing. Pretty good start. Don't know what's up with those necks though!
Jul 8, 2017 6:07 AM

Sep 2012
I found this strangely hilarious for some reason, but overall enjoyed it a lot. Although, kept getting distracted by the art that looks really similar to Haikyuu, and Shizuku really looks like Kiyoko from Haikyuu too lol (and yeah, those necks @_@)
Jul 8, 2017 6:18 AM

Sep 2016
This anime has everything to be one of those you never forget
Jul 8, 2017 6:56 AM

May 2017
Episode 1 were great, loving this!!
Jul 8, 2017 8:09 AM
Jun 2017
I cant wait to see Chinatsu
Jul 8, 2017 8:10 AM
Jun 2017
j
DefyingMadness said:
The main girl is waifu potential. She is so god damn cute.
just wait to see chinatsu, her is more waifuable
Jul 8, 2017 8:50 AM

Dec 2013
Decent start. Loved the manga and the animation here mirrored it well.
Cannot wait to see Chinatsu as well. Her arc will be fun to watch.
Wondering just how much we'll get though, since this is 24 episodes.
Looking forward to him dancing actual qualifiers.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 8, 2017 9:45 AM

Feb 2015
The necks bothered me at first but I got used to it. Great show!
Jul 8, 2017 9:48 AM

Feb 2016
Artstyle is Haikyuu's. Movements were quite fluid. Nice expressions and funny reactions. Sports (kinda) theme.

Yup. This will save this godawful season.
All people have their own sh*t tastes, therefore, there are no sh*t tastes, since everything is equally sh*t.

A VERY LOGICAL
PHILOSOPHY
Jul 8, 2017 9:57 AM

Feb 2012
The look of the first ep is good, storywise... I guess this was entertaining, but seems like this will be one of these shounen sports shows where every character and every action they perform is exaggerated to the max, so it's a pass for me, as these kinds of shows simply aren't for me, tbh.
Jul 8, 2017 10:26 AM

Mar 2013
Hmm decent start. The pilot episode was kinda reminiscent of Hajime no Ippo lol.

I'm not very thrilled or interested about watching a dance themed anime. But let's see how well it makes me invested in it. We're talking about Production IG here. Bet it'll be worth a ride.

Those slender dancing figures look kinda funny (and creepy) tbh. Especially that neck game XD
Our school characters sure are surprisingly tall for someone in the last year middle school... and MC is just Hinata with black hair lol or maybe he's the no. 10 of Karasuno team Hinata admired? XD
FinalFlash18Jul 8, 2017 10:30 AM
Jul 8, 2017 10:38 AM
Jul 2016
Wow, that was a definitely a rip off of the first episode of hajime no ippo. Just happened to watch that last week. That's not to say that this show won't be enjoyable, but I was kind of taken aback.
mackenzieeJul 8, 2017 10:44 AM
Jul 8, 2017 11:10 AM
Nov 2013
Great episode. But Tatara´s voiceactor is really awful. Could´ve choosen a much better..
Jul 8, 2017 12:01 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
First episode was extremely charming already, it seems to find some inspirations in Hajime no Ippo, but it is suceeding so far in not feeling like rip off of Ippo in a ballroom!

I may have to go with the manga, since I enjoyed it to the point I want to see what will be coming next right away.
Animation is tops, and OP and ED seems something that will make me sit and watch every episode, sweet.
Jul 8, 2017 12:11 PM

Mar 2012
Just_Lewat said:
I cant wait to see Chinatsu

Same here i want to see the best girl :(
But we need to wait more or less 12 episodes :/
Jul 8, 2017 12:26 PM

Feb 2010
haniyeszer said:

I love the art... but sometimes, the main lead's eyes are scary... hoho...

The dance movements are smooth... I unexpectedly smiled while watching the characters dance...

My exact thoughts LOL the first scene his eyes literally looked like he had seen some things...death possibly o__o.
I smiled too when they were dancing. There's something pleasant about watching dance since the movements are really beautiful.

----

So far, I rather like this show. I like how it incorporates sports anime elements such as the competitive aspect of it, yet the cast is a lot more diverse than sports. I feel like there definitely isn't as large of a female presence in sports animes so breaking that barrier (mainly due to the nature of the dance sport) was nice. I can imagine the dynamics of the relationship between characters will be explored, since ballroom is not individual dance and there has to be some sort of synergy between the dancers.

Our main character does seem like your typical protagonist and he's rather bland in that sense. He has high goals and finally found something he likes and is willing to work really hard to aim towards that goal. It is only the first episode so of course my impression of him won't be that great yet. It isn't so much that I'm staying for the character at this point, but the concept itself is what lures me. Seeing how this show incorporates dance, music, and such will be interesting and i'm hoping to see a more artistic side of it come out rather than just technicalities.

Can't wait to see more characters introduced into the show as well!
EarlCielJul 8, 2017 12:30 PM
Jul 8, 2017 1:48 PM

Jul 2012
Looks like a winner.
Jul 8, 2017 2:31 PM

Mar 2014
I had high expectations for this, can't help but feel a bit dissapointed that I'll have to wait a full week for a real dance scene lol. Everything looks great though, a lot of effort went into this, and for some reason I'm pretty confident Production IG can keep it up, even 2 cour
Jul 8, 2017 2:43 PM

Dec 2015
A lot better than Dive. I guess it helps that it is a Shounen. More competition. Interesting female main char (at least the girl seemed like a main) besides that guy and not only Fujoshi-bait with guys-only dancing.

The pro guy is also nice. Looking forward to the next episode. Dancing itself is super boring (as boring as other sports similar to it where juries decide) but they are good at making it look interesting. (If it weren't a Shounen I guess that would be worse here and more boring.)
Jul 8, 2017 2:47 PM

Jul 2012
Shizuku looks amazing in the manga, but the anime isn't bad either
Jul 8, 2017 3:06 PM

Sep 2015
Damn I've heard pretty bad voice actors/actresses in the past but Fujita's is just plain garbage. It's like he;s reading a book, there's 0 emotion in any of his lines. Shouldn't have given a main role to someone who had no roles in the past. Absolute garbage!
Jul 8, 2017 3:15 PM

Mar 2016
I watch it on twitch and loved it but I can't watch the rest of it since amazon likes to be a booty...

I don't want to pirate such a good anime!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2017 3:25 PM

Aug 2013
I thought he took wrong DVD :^)
Jul 8, 2017 4:53 PM

Mar 2016
For the first episode, it was pretty good. I am excited to see what else there is. I hope they show more cool dancing scenes in the episodes to come...
O(≧▽≦)O
Jul 8, 2017 4:58 PM

Aug 2013
Mormegil said:
Huh. This wasn't anything like Yuri on Ice, as everyone kept comparing it to. It was more like a shonen sports show but with dancing. Pretty good start. Don't know what's up with those necks though!

This series is nothing like YoI, if anyone was comparing them it was through ignorance and assumptions (I can't tell you how many times since it's been announced that I've seen someone ask if this series was yaoi, which it is not). If I had to compare it to anything, with how it starts off I'd say Hajime no Ippo.
Jul 8, 2017 5:33 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Tatara is the type of MC that you can't help but root for and I really want to see him succeed in being a pro...Sengoku seems like a great mentor in the making too and the the megane girl is great already

OP and ED were nice, animation was pretty clean and the art style, albeit it reminding me a lot of Haikyuu, was pretty good too especially when combined with the OST

Great start and I'm really happy that this is gonna be 2 cours long
Jul 8, 2017 8:49 PM

May 2015
ya_hallo said:
Damn I've heard pretty bad voice actors/actresses in the past but Fujita's is just plain garbage. It's like he;s reading a book, there's 0 emotion in any of his lines. Shouldn't have given a main role to someone who had no roles in the past. Absolute garbage!

Overreaction much? Jeez.

Jul 8, 2017 9:14 PM
Feb 2015
xull said:
The episode was really fun. Tatara's determinations is impressive!

Plus the faces and reactions were priceless!

they could make a anime about fishing gardening tic tac toe bodybuilding and it will still epic as f#$% well because Anime
Jul 8, 2017 9:36 PM

Apr 2013
HaXXspetten said:
Who the hell goes from being unable to even decide their high school plans to signing up for expensive private lessons for a sport he hadn't heard of before after a random encounter in the blink of an eye? And how do you "accidentally" end up rehearsing the same dance move over and over all on your own throughout literally an entire night without collapsing or getting bored out of your mind, or at the very least notice it?

Not really sure about this so far..
yep. exactly how i feel
Jul 8, 2017 9:39 PM
Feb 2015
NanoRin said:
I can tell this is going to be a very solid and classic sports anime. It was a nice first episode. This is probably one of the few new anime this season where I'm confident it's actually going to be consistently solid, while everything else feels like a gamble lol.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballroom_dance Dancing is a sport ?????
Jul 8, 2017 10:01 PM

Sep 2015
Kittens-kun said:
ya_hallo said:

Overreaction much? Jeez.

Nope not at all, his acting felt so lifeless and I'm sure many people agree, I seriously don't see how he auditioned for this and got the part considering he's a complete newbie and doesn't have a single role on his resume. If you think he was actually good that's fine I'm not going to argue against it but to me he's one of the worst and I don't see him improving anytime soon. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.
Jul 8, 2017 10:35 PM

Dec 2016
darklord213 said:
NanoRin said:
I can tell this is going to be a very solid and classic sports anime. It was a nice first episode. This is probably one of the few new anime this season where I'm confident it's actually going to be consistently solid, while everything else feels like a gamble lol.
lol wat
Sport (noun)- an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Ballroom e Youkoso
>Genres: Comedy, Sports, Drama, Romance, School, Shounen

Anime was the catalyst of my life's downward spiral.
Joining MAL was the nail in my coffin.

Every day I keep screaming into the void,
but god just tells me to shut up.
Jul 9, 2017 4:08 AM

Mar 2014
Decent first episode. It's going to take a while to get used to the art though lol
Jul 9, 2017 5:04 AM

Jan 2013
Eh, their wierd face expressions were making it awkward to watch.
Jul 9, 2017 5:57 AM
May 2015
NanoRin said:
darklord213 said:
lol wat
Sport (noun)- an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Ballroom e Youkoso
>Genres: Comedy, Sports, Drama, Romance, School, Shounen

https://www.worlddancesport.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancesport
Jul 9, 2017 6:05 AM

May 2012
The 1st episode was a lot better than what expect. Better than overrated garbage called yaoi on ice
Jul 9, 2017 6:21 AM

Jun 2008
Much better than what I expected, their face expressions and passion of the characters is depicted as in the manga if it won't even be better, Sengoku's face while dancing in the CD said it all xD such a manga won't be easy to adapt since the standards are high but I'm excited it might actually be a masterpiece, the animation and character design is impeccable too.
Jul 9, 2017 7:40 AM
Apr 2016
GD1551 said:
LMAO these necks are hilarious, sometimes longer than their legs.

This was the very first thing that I've noticed. It looks very weird and I was honestly chuckling when I've first noticed this. This... will take some getting used to. lol

A pretty nice first episode, though.
Jul 9, 2017 8:10 AM

Mar 2012
deafnote said:
These are junior high students? I thought the blue eyed girl was way older for some reason

Anyway, nice first episode. I need more dancing next week though

Shizuku is in her last year in Highschool.
Tatara I can't remember if he is in first or second year.
And Sengoku has 23 years old.
Jul 9, 2017 11:57 AM

Apr 2013
I was so hyped for this and I'm not disappointed. I loved it, the first episode was even better than expected. Can't wait for next week. :3
Jul 9, 2017 12:13 PM

Jun 2008
Great first episode! As a former dancer this is really enjoyable to watch :D
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

173 by Copie »»
Apr 9, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Naruleach - Jul 2, 2017

125 by ThorPalma »»
Jan 1, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2017

59 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 30, 2023 10:34 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

57 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 30, 2023 12:16 AM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2017

51 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 28, 2023 9:41 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.