Forum Settings
Forums

Update: German lawmakers vote to legalize same sex marriage, 393 to 226.

New
Jun 27, 2017 9:25 AM

Jun 2014
Like, as soon as this upcoming Friday perhaps

Snap vote: German lawmakers to vote on same-sex marriage

(CNN)German lawmakers will decide Friday whether to legalize same-sex marriage, according to CNN affiliate NTV. The snap vote comes after Chancellor Angela Merkel said Monday that she would like to see parliament move towards a "vote of conscience" on the issue.

Merkel's comments on Monday represent a shift for the German leader and her conservative party, the Christian Democratic Union (CDU), which has opposed same-sex marriage to keep in line with "traditional" family values.

The Chancellor made the comments in response to a question Monday evening at an event in Berlin hosted by women's magazine Brigitte. Asked by a gay man in the audience whether he would be able to refer to his partner as "my husband," Merkel acknowledged the widespread support for gay marriage among German voters -- who will vote soon in federal elections -- and suggested a free vote on same-sex marriage could be held among members of parliament.

Much more at this link

Seems like Merkel is caving in to the pressure. She had little choice anyway as most of the major parties have ruled out forming any coalition if Same sex marriage isn't brought to the a vote. This is also going to be one of those rare "vote your conscience" bills as it has been made clear that no voting directives will be given to the MPs by their parties/ party leaders.

According to polls, more than 80% of Germans support legalising same sex marriage but Merkel's party (and especially its sister party, CSU) have traditionally opposed it (though they do for the most part support Civil unions which have been legal since 2001).

Edit:

German lawmakers vote to legalize gay marriage

(CNN)German lawmakers voted by a wide margin to legalize same-sex marriage Friday, a landmark decision which came just days after Chancellor Angela Merkel dropped her longstanding opposition to a free vote on the issue.

The bill gives homosexual couples in Germany the same rights as heterosexual couples, and will allow same-sex couples to marry and jointly adopt children. It passed by 393 votes to 226, with four abstentions.

Speaking after the vote, Merkel said she had voted no on the issue, but that it had been important to put it to a vote of conscience.

"For me and the basic law, it's about the marriage of a woman and a man. That's why I voted against it," she said, adding that it had been an emotional debate for many in parliament, including herself.

"I hope that the vote today shows not only the mutual respect for different opinions but that this also leads to more peace and social cohesion as well," she said.

The vote was welcomed by the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association in Europe, which suggested same-sex couples could be able to marry by the end of the year.

"After years of waiting and hoping, rainbow families in Germany will now receive equal recognition under the law -- this is a historic milestone that can inspire even more change for LGBTI people," said ILGA-Europe executive director Evelyne Paradis.

You can read more here.

This is absolutely fantastic news and I hope that more countries follow the example. Love and equality wins once again.
AgafinJun 30, 2017 2:58 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 27, 2017 9:28 AM

Jun 2014
C'mon, make it happen! Germany needs same-sex marriage, and so does Australia!

No doubt that a "Certain German" is going to enter this thread and complain about it, and we all know who that is.

Jun 27, 2017 9:32 AM

Jun 2008
Wait....Germany doesn't have Same-sex marriage?

Really?

I had no idea....I thought for sure all the major Western European countries had it.

Jun 27, 2017 9:33 AM

Sep 2015
only the SPD wants to vote about it on friday, but i doubt that it actually happens within this legislative period and in the next one, with the afd, they won't have the majority anymore - we can only hope that this will never happen

Jun 27, 2017 9:45 AM
Jul 2018
Das gut

JustALEX said:

Really?

I had no idea....I thought for sure all the major Western European countries had it.

Germany is central European, west/east division is stupid and outdated.

Jan 2017
JustALEX said:

Really?

So you had no idea about it?
Can't say I am surprised
swirlydragonJun 27, 2017 9:49 AM

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Feb 2016
C'mon Germany! I know you can do it! Let's get this stuff legalized! <3

Jun 27, 2017 9:50 AM

Apr 2016
Does theirs national religion even allow something like this ? You know the arabian countries were always against something like this.
Jun 27, 2017 9:50 AM

Nov 2008
WTF, even the most closed minded places in the US have same sex marriage now and Germany doesn't? More reason to get that failure of a chancellor out of office.

Jun 27, 2017 10:06 AM

Oct 2014
Kek. If they do it now, all the "old people" who "traditionally" vote Merkel's party will reconsider in Fall. I think this would be a big gain for the AfD in the coming elections, because many of the "old fashioned conservative old people" might decide that Merkel's CDU is no longer representing conservative views.

That's why I think that the CDU will do its best to postpone it until after the election. I'd be surprised if they actually went through with it.
Jun 27, 2017 10:16 AM

Jun 2008
swirlydragon said:
JustALEX said:

Really?

So you had no idea about it?
Can't say I am surprised

Yeah....cuz it's totally natural for someone who doesn't live in a country that is 5,000 miles away to know the intricate laws of said country.

And I was trying to give Germany credit here....I thought they DID have it because I know Germany has progressed a lot.

But I can't say I'm surprised by you quoting me though....stop obsessing about the things I say.
Jun 27, 2017 10:17 AM

Jun 2014
Grey-Zone said:
Kek. If they do it now, all the "old people" who "traditionally" vote Merkel's party will reconsider in Fall. I think this would be a big gain for the AfD in the coming elections, because many of the "old fashioned conservative old people" might decide that Merkel's CDU is no longer representing conservative views.

That's why I think that the CDU will do its best to postpone it until after the election. I'd be surprised if they actually went through with it.

On the flip side, this has become a prominent campaign topic snd as long as it remains in the spotlight, it'll hurt the CDU/CSU polling numbers given the public support. So they might want to "settle" it.

And I highly doubt that older conservative Germans who probably still remember WW2 and/or its aftermath would switch to vote for a borderline fascist party (AFD). At worst, they'll stay home.
AgafinJun 27, 2017 10:21 AM
Jun 27, 2017 10:26 AM

Dec 2008
Hoppy said:
WTF, even the most closed minded places in the US have same sex marriage now and Germany doesn't? More reason to get that failure of a chancellor out of office.

Isn't this actually because they had no choice? Wasn't Same Sex marriage legalized by the Supreme Court, as such became a Federal thing? It used to be State-wise but the Supreme Court over ruled the states didn't it?

I may be remembering this incorrectly.

-----
I wish you luck Germany.
Jun 27, 2017 10:27 AM
Jul 2018
Let it happen! Let it happen!
Jun 27, 2017 10:46 AM

Jan 2015
AFAIK, the majority of politicians in the German parliament were in favour of gay marriage for quite some time now, but Merkel's party (which was the strongest party and therefore most influental) was against it, since a lot of their voters are conservative+religious. The SPD didn't want to push for gay marriage because they didn't want to go against the CDU.

I guess now that Merkel and her party's position is no longer as strong, the other parties finally made the last push and called out Merkel to finally make a decision.
Jun 27, 2017 11:07 AM

Mar 2013
Things can't get better until they get worse. Only a matter of time before people have to face the consequences of their actions. Until then, no doubt the majority will mindlessly go along with this
Jun 27, 2017 11:09 AM

Jan 2009
Seiya said:
No doubt that a "Certain German" is going to enter this thread and complain about it, and we all know who that is.
If you mean me, well I find it a Waste of Time. There are much more pressing Issues like our military and police Security, our Pensions, the Immigration Policy, the Education System, Policies that may help with our Birthrates, Policies that help Savers get some Money for their Savings, the Energy Transition ("Energiewende"). And out of all those very important Topics, not a single one is pushed because muuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh GAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY Rights are so important!

On another Topic, seems like some Fun starts to take Shape in Eastern Germany.
Not that I would agree with a violent Coup d'État (Putsch/Staatsstreich), but the Country is turning more and more ridiculous. At least, there is one very effective Measure any of us could do this Autumn/Fall, my fellow Citizens of the Federal Republic of Germany. And to my fellow ethnic Germans regardless of Citizenship, there's still Article 146 of the Basic Law (not that I would feel any Need to change much of it other than the Name and to have the German Language explicitly mentioned as national and primary Language, however it should show that we actual Germans ultimately hold all the Power in our own Hands).

Darek said:
Germany is central European, west/east division is stupid and outdated.
This and whoever hasn't heard about it, here's an accurate Map:

NoboruJun 27, 2017 11:12 AM
Jun 27, 2017 11:20 AM

Jun 2014
Noboru said:
Seiya said:
If you mean me, well I find it a Waste of Time. There are much more pressing Issues like our military and police Security, our Pensions, the Immigration Policy, the Education System, Policies that may help with our Birthrates, Policies that help Savers get some Money for their Savings, the Energy Transition ("Energiewende"). And out of all those very important Topics, not a single one is pushed because muuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh GAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY Rights are so important!

Not that I would agree with a violent Coup d'État (Putsch/Staatsstreich), but the Country is turning more and more ridiculous. At least, there is one very effective Measure any of us could do this Autumn/Fall, my fellow Citizens of the Federal Republic of Germany. And to my fellow ethnic Germans regardless of Citizenship, there's still Article 146 of the Basic Law (not that I would feel any Need to change much of it other than the Name and to have the German Language explicitly mentioned as national and primary Language, however it should show that we actual Germans ultimately hold all the Power in our own Hands).

Lol, we all know how homophobic you are, and how you love your "aryan birth rates."

Stop trying to slow down progress. Your opinion is a minority one, especially for someone your age.

Jun 27, 2017 11:53 AM

Feb 2016
Lol this is embarrasing for Germany.
Jun 27, 2017 12:01 PM

Oct 2014
Seiya said:
Noboru said:

Lol, we all know how homophobic you are, and how you love your "aryan birth rates."

Stop trying to slow down progress. Your opinion is a minority one, especially for someone your age.

This is the day when MAL user Seiya awakened to "fascism" trying to force his beliefs and opinions on others.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Jun 27, 2017 12:04 PM

Jun 2014
Grey-Zone said:
Seiya said:

This is the day when MAL user Seiya awakened to "fascism" trying to force his beliefs and opinions on others.

It's not being "forced" on others if a majority supports it.

Jun 27, 2017 12:06 PM

Jun 2016
Hell yeah! It's already 2017 and it's about damn time.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jun 27, 2017 12:09 PM

Jan 2009
Seiya said:
I don't fear Homosexuality and "(Indo-)Aryans" are the People(s) in and around India. Oh and Germans are a Mixture of various European Peoples including Germanicized Celts, Germanicized Romans (Old Stems/Altstämme) and Germanized Balts + Slavs (New Stems/Neustämme).

You mean prevent Regress. And I doubt my Opinion is that much of a Minority one, at the very least I doubt that People my Age (middle/late 20s) or generally most People who aren't directly affected would actually care that much about Gay Marriage that they would actively wish for a Change of the Status Quo. If anything, many would be angry about how a Non-Sense Topic like this one gains Attention, but the real striking Issues take forever to be faced. How do we call it again? Oh right, "Populism".
NoboruJun 27, 2017 12:13 PM
Jun 27, 2017 12:10 PM

Jun 2014
Noboru said:
Seiya said:
I don't fear Homosexuality and "(Indo-)Aryans" are the People(s) in and around India.

You mean prevent Regress. And I doubt my Opinion is that much of a Minority one, at the very least I doubt that People my Age (middle/late 20s) or generally most People who aren't directly affected would actually care that much about Gay Marriage that they would actively wish for a Change of the Status Quo. If anything, many would be angry about how a non-sense Topic like this gains Attention, but the real striking Issues take forever to be faced. How do we call it again? Oh right, "Populism".

And exactly how is the legalization of same-sex marriage "regressive?"

Jun 27, 2017 12:13 PM

Oct 2014
Seiya said:
Grey-Zone said:

I guess then racism and other forms of bigotry would fine as well and would not be seen as being "forced upon" the victims, as long as 50%+1 support it?
Jun 27, 2017 12:14 PM

Jun 2014
Grey-Zone said:
Seiya said:

I guess then racism and other forms of bigotry would fine as well and would not be seen as being "forced upon" the victims, as long as 50%+1 support it?

We're talking solely about same-sex marriage here.

Jun 27, 2017 12:17 PM

Jan 2009
Seiya said:
It's regressive, because it distracts from how a healthy Nation is supposed to be: with a strong Mother and Father Bonding towards their Children. Anyone else may live freely and without being harmed, but should not get the same Reputation as those, who can actually produce Offspring.
Jun 27, 2017 12:19 PM

Jun 2014
Noboru said:
Seiya said:
It's regressive, because it distracts from how a healthy Nation is supposed to be: with a strong Mother and Father Bonding towards their Children. Anyone else may live freely and without being harmed, but should not get the same Reputation as those, who can actually produce Offspring.

There's nothing "healthy" about preventing gay and bi people from marrying someone that they love.

Two men can raise children, and so can two women, and the children will end up just fine.

Jun 27, 2017 12:22 PM

Jan 2009
Seiya said:
Two men can raise children, and so can two women, and the children will end up just fine.
They can, but the Ideal is to have a Member from each Sex, so that the Children will get a male and a female Role Model from their Homes in their Lives.

Also, they don't need to be married to do so.
Jun 27, 2017 12:24 PM

Mar 2013
Seiya said:

lol democrats seriously believe this. maybe you should speak with the minority who do not support it yet are being forced to accept it.

democracy is no less oppressive than any dictatorship, the only difference is a majority of uneducated idiots are calling the shots instead of a single leader or party
Jun 27, 2017 12:24 PM

Jun 2014
Noboru said:
Seiya said:
They can, but the Ideal is to have a Member from each Sex, so that the Children will get a male and a female Role Model from their Homes in their Lives.

That is complete BS. There's plenty of feminine guys(like myself), and there's plenty of masculine girls, so you don't need two different genders to raise children properly.

@Ivich: Lol, minority? You mean the middle-aged and elderly? They don't have a say in what younger people do with their lives. They are archaic, and shouldn't even be allowed to vote.

Jun 27, 2017 12:28 PM

Oct 2014
Seiya said:
Grey-Zone said:

We're talking solely about same-sex marriage here.

You started it by telling others what to think together with a buzzword ad-hominem. Now you can't follow up on it, so you are deflecting.

Seiya said:
Noboru said:
I don't fear Homosexuality and "(Indo-)Aryans" are the People(s) in and around India.

You mean prevent Regress. And I doubt my Opinion is that much of a Minority one, at the very least I doubt that People my Age (middle/late 20s) or generally most People who aren't directly affected would actually care that much about Gay Marriage that they would actively wish for a Change of the Status Quo. If anything, many would be angry about how a non-sense Topic like this gains Attention, but the real striking Issues take forever to be faced. How do we call it again? Oh right, "Populism".

Depends on what one actually sees as the purpose of marriage.

1. "civil union"
2. duo that raises children
3. duo that "makes" children

There is no problem if same-sex marriage if marriage is interpreted as 1., it's a grey area with 2. and it's absolutely non-sensical with 3.
Jun 27, 2017 12:28 PM

Mar 2008
JustALEX said:

Really?

IIRC they have civil unions but a civil union still has less rights than marriage.

Noboru said:
Seiya said:

Those are imaginary social fabrications and countries in themselves are phantasms as well. By your logic as I probably pointed out to you in the past it should be illegal for the infertile to marry and those with kids once they reach age of majority they must produce more kids or have their marriage invalidated.
traedJun 27, 2017 12:34 PM
Jun 27, 2017 12:31 PM

Oct 2014
Seiya said:
@Ivich: Lol, minority? You mean the middle-aged and elderly? They don't have a say in what younger people do with their lives. They are archaic, and shouldn't even be allowed to vote.

I am genuinely curious if you would also accept that if the condition would be that the "younger people" have no say in how much taxes the "older people" pay? Or anything else they "do with their lives"? That includes, of course, any "1%ers" who happen to be old.
Jun 27, 2017 12:32 PM

Jun 2014
Grey-Zone said:
Seiya said:

I am genuinely curious if you would also accept that if the condition would be that the "younger people" have no say in how much taxes the "older people" pay?

Older people should have to pay the highest taxes, and they are the cancer which holds back progress.

Jun 27, 2017 12:32 PM

Mar 2013
Seiya said:

well looks like neither of us support democracy then, the only difference is i think nobody should be allowed to vote
Jun 27, 2017 1:02 PM

Jan 2011
Seiya said:
Grey-Zone said:

I am genuinely curious if you would also accept that if the condition would be that the "younger people" have no say in how much taxes the "older people" pay?

Older people should have to pay the highest taxes, and they are the cancer which holds back progress.

Glad we are finnaly throwing pretenses of democracy out the window.
Jun 27, 2017 1:04 PM

Jun 2014
JonyJC said:
Seiya said:

Glad we are finnaly throwing pretenses of democracy out the window.

Old people are the ones who hold back progress, so there's really no other way.

Jun 27, 2017 1:11 PM

Oct 2014
Seiya said:
Grey-Zone said:

If you want a [insert ancient greek prefix for "young age" here]cracy why didn't you say so from the beginning? But then again you just showed a similar attitude to young people who don't share your views, so it seems to prefer facsism totalitarianism after all.

Though I wonder whether or not you would be truly "willing" to join the "lower class of older people" once you reach that age where the new "young people" have your fate entirely in their hands.
Jun 27, 2017 1:13 PM

Jun 2014
Grey-Zone said:
Seiya said:

If you want a [insert ancient greek prefix for "young age" here]cracy why didn't you say so from the beginning? But then again you just showed a similar attitude to young people who don't share your views, so it seems to prefer facsism totalitarianism after all.

I believe in equality for all.

I just believe that when it comes to human rights, old people should keep their mouths shut.

Jun 27, 2017 1:18 PM

Oct 2014
Seiya said:
Grey-Zone said:

I believe in equality for all.

I just believe that when it comes to human rights, old people should keep their mouths shut.

Or, as the saying goes, "some people are more equal than others."
Jun 27, 2017 1:59 PM

Jan 2009
Seiya said:
That is complete BS. There's plenty of feminine guys(like myself), and there's plenty of masculine girls, so you don't need two different genders to raise children properly.
You can raise them properly even without having two different Genders, but having Role Models from each Gender makes Things easier, especially when the Roles align with their Strengths and Weaknesses. Men for Example have a rougher Skin and more Strength, so it would be wiser to have them do more heavy Work and Stuff where they would have to dirty their Hands or could even hurt them and/or scrape off some Skin. Women are weaker and have a more delicate Skin, so if possible, they should be barred from doing rough Work with their Hands or from lifting Things.
Just because you can also help around with cooking or washing and/or the Woman can help around with lifting and/or rough Work, it doesn't devalue the Basic Principle behind the Gender Roles.

traed said:
Those are imaginary social fabrications and countries in themselves are phantasms as well. By your logic as I probably pointed out to you in the past it should be illegal for the infertile to marry and those with kids once they reach age of majority they must produce more kids or have their marriage invalidated.
That's a Reductio ad absurdum. Just because I don't want further Deviation, I don't have to want to enforce more strict "Straightenments" or how you want to call the Process of having a proper Family and punishing everyone who deviate from the Path.
Jun 27, 2017 2:06 PM

Nov 2009
Noboru said:
Seiya said:
You can raise them properly even without having two different Genders, but having Role Models from each Gender makes Things easier, especially when the Roles align with their Strengths and Weaknesses. Men for Example have a rougher Skin and more Strength, so it would be wiser to have them do more heavy Work and Stuff where they would have to dirty their Hands or could even hurt them and/or scrape off some Skin. Women are weaker and have a more delicate Skin, so if possible, they should be barred from doing rough Work with their Hands or from lifting Things.
Just because you can also help around with cooking or washing and/or the Woman can help around with lifting and/or rough Work, it doesn't devalue the Basic Principle behind the Gender Roles.

traed said:
That's a Reductio ad absurdum. Just because I don't want further Deviation, I don't have to want to enforce more strict "Straightenments" or how you want to call the Process of having a proper Family and punishing everyone who deviate from the Path.

Sounds like you need to start worry about all divorced parents, absent parents and bad parents then. They may be a far major issue than two homosexual adopting.
Jun 27, 2017 2:24 PM

Jan 2009
Bernrika said:
Sounds like you need to start worry about all divorced parents, absent parents and bad parents then. They may be a far major issue than two homosexual adopting.
Errm two Questions:

1) Where did I write that I would be against two Homosexuals adopting Children?

2) What is easier? To keep the Status Quo and to prevent further Deviation or to straighten Things out with the divorced, absent and bad Parents?
Jun 27, 2017 3:11 PM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
traed said:
I didn't say that is what you want I said if you were logically consistent that is what you would want. If you're not logically consistent chances are your reasoning is not logical but emotional.
Jun 27, 2017 3:44 PM
Apr 2013
German already has marriage equality, everyone can marry someone of the opposite sex who is will and of a certain age, what you mean is German might change there laws for a small cabal of people.
Shoryu said:
Aureolus
Life-enhancing-body-suits are good and all, but they can't protect you against the void.
Shoryu said:
Hopefully a better quote in the near future
Become a friend of Blahkabelison, they're a female.
Jun 27, 2017 5:06 PM

Jun 2014
Aureolus said:
German already has marriage equality, everyone can marry someone of the opposite sex who is will and of a certain age, what you mean is German might change there laws for a small cabal of people.

No, they certainly don't have marriage equality.

Most newfs aren't against same-sex marriage, so why are you?

Jun 27, 2017 5:10 PM

Mar 2014
NOOOOOO THE GAY LOBBY ARE GOING TO RULE OVER US ALL ADFSOHOHFOIHSFODISHIPFJSÅODJOÅ
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 27, 2017 7:29 PM
Apr 2013
@Seiya
No, they certainly don't have marriage equality.

Yes they do, you just want laws rewritten.

Most newfs aren't against same-sex marriage, so why are you?

I've told you before not to call me those names and it's actually fairly even and that's with the brow beating they put you through. I don't have to give my reasoning for my opposition to homosexuality.
Shoryu said:
Aureolus
Life-enhancing-body-suits are good and all, but they can't protect you against the void.
Shoryu said:
Hopefully a better quote in the near future
Become a friend of Blahkabelison, they're a female.
Jun 27, 2017 7:29 PM

Jun 2014
Aureolus said:
I don't have to give my reasoning for my opposition to homosexuality.

Oh, I actually think that you do.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.