Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 21, 2017 12:23 PM

Jul 2016
I have been listening to Sawano's music almost exclusively for the past few days mainly due to the epicness of his work on AOT Season 2. Anyways I am just wondering what the communities opinion of him is and whether he is well known as a composer. (kinda new to the community)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 21, 2017 3:10 PM

Mar 2016
I think he's overrated. He's good, but no where near as good as Yuki Kajiura and Taku Iwasaki. His OST lacks versatility or should I say variety imo and is too much vocalized recently.
Jun 21, 2017 3:48 PM

Jul 2015
One of the best if not the best composer of all the time
Jun 21, 2017 3:52 PM

Feb 2015
Sawano is indeed a great composer but I like Yuki Kajiura better. Pretty much because of a reason said above, more variety in his OSTs would be better.
Jun 21, 2017 4:18 PM

Mar 2014
He's done some decent stuff but he's mainly a hack whose music is all about that BIG AND BOMBASTIC SHIT. Sorry, but copying Hans Zimmer doesn't make you a genius.

Also, he looks like a criminal and I would not want to meet him on an empty street on a dark night
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 22, 2017 4:18 AM

Jun 2016
He's a GOD! And I earnestly love his works. He's literally the HANS ZIMMER of THE EAST. Yeah, he is that good. :)

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jun 22, 2017 8:24 PM

Apr 2017
He's pretty good, but a lot of his stuff sounds the same... and he usually does OSTs for shows I don't like.

He's still nothing compared to Shoji Meguro, who does the Persona music
Jun 22, 2017 8:41 PM

Aug 2016
He's alright, used to like and listen to his works a lot but his works sound pretty repetitive nowadays.

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Jun 28, 2017 12:50 PM
Jul 2018
I wish to see a collaboration of him with Hans Zimmer one day; then I could die in peace.
Jun 28, 2017 2:06 PM
Mar 2015
DragonSlayer_19 said:
His OST lacks versatility or should I say variety imo and is too much vocalized recently.

*Cough*Gundam Unicorn*Cough*
Jun 28, 2017 2:54 PM

Mar 2016
Crosswastaken said:
DragonSlayer_19 said:
His OST lacks versatility or should I say variety imo and is too much vocalized recently.

*Cough*Gundam Unicorn*Cough*

Haven't watched that tbh. However, to make myself clearer, Sawano is recycling more ost recently and he's become predictable with not much versatility to surprise you, again speaking recently. His older works might be better. You can always expect to throw some highly vocalized bombastic song in the middle of action. See Re:creators and kabaneri as prime example. It lost impact by now for me. SnK S2 has like 2 notable tracks for me.

Unlike him, Taku Iwasaki possess finesse, elegance, and quirkiness in his OST.
Here are some of them .

This one is unfortunately altered in the middle a bit.

Try min 20:00 (one of my favs:p)

Shishou_23Jun 28, 2017 4:14 PM
Jun 29, 2017 10:51 AM

Apr 2013
God.ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

Jul 3, 2017 4:30 PM

May 2017
honestly never paid attention to anime soundtracks but he did a great job with aldnoah zero and aot that made me check him out. i like his music a lot, but some of them are repetitive. I like Ryo (supercell) who composes music for EGOIST slightly better.
Jul 3, 2017 5:10 PM

Nov 2014
I personally think Sawano is great, almost every vocalist that collaborated with his music fit into each other, and for his music that used in games,movie, or anime soundtrack I feel a great vibe and synchonization between it
Jul 3, 2017 5:26 PM

Oct 2014
i do not like him as much as most people in the community seems to, like his soundtracks are kind of repetitive overall
Jul 3, 2017 6:13 PM

Aug 2015
The only ever songs I've liked from him we're ironically from a series that I dropped (Aldnoah Zero), I think his best work is aLiez and Breathless from that same anime.
Jul 3, 2017 10:17 PM

Feb 2014
Quality exercise music. Just energetic and formulaic enough to help keep focus. I feel like I can run 26 marathons when I jog to his stuff.
Jul 4, 2017 11:12 PM

Apr 2016
I don't think a lack of range is necessarily bad; he's one of the BEST composers out there for bombastic, orchestral scores, and I love him for that.
Jul 5, 2017 2:08 AM

Oct 2016
He's a great composer, in my opinion better than Yuki Kajura or other anime composers (that are also great, but not as good as hiroyuki).
Jul 10, 2017 11:48 AM

May 2016
Fucking amazing.
Accept everyone's opinions. Unless they are badly constructed or something the lines of "Uhh duuh da girls were sexy"

That's not an opinion, that's Something called "A lack of brain cells". Specifically the latter.

Everyone who likes Eromanga-Sensei is a pedophile.
Jul 10, 2017 12:13 PM

Jun 2008
MAL community loves him and praise him. And he deserves all the love!
Aug 16, 2017 8:40 PM

Jan 2010
God tier composer. He's anime Hans Zimmer.
Aug 16, 2017 9:36 PM
Mar 2017
I think Sawano is a fantastic composer who works well within the "blockbuster" feel of OSTs much in the same way John Williams does for movies. But, I personally think some of JW's best work was when he stepped outside his comfort zone (Schindler's List, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, The Cowboys -- yes, the 1972 John Wayne film). In the same way I think Hans Zimmer's best OST so far was very "not-Hans Zimmer" (2014's Interstelllar).

I love Kajiura Yuki's SAO soundtracks (for their lyrical variety). But, comparing composers is oftentimes a bad trap to fall into given that each one has a unique style and strength. For an Aldnoah Zero or AoT type story, Sawano is a sound choice. That doesn't exclude some others (like Kajiura) but AoT doesn't have the rampant human, intimate tenderness of some of the scenes of SAO. Yokoyama Masaru (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso) demonstrated a magnificent brilliance in using some of the major classical works to create the insert songs. His grasp of music history and historical styles is amazing to listen to. But, I don't think he'd work for an AoT or SAO style show because he creates a very sensitive atmosphere with his music.

Am I pigeon-holing some of these composers? Hell yes. But that's the way the industry works -- how the world works. Composers are like weapons in an arsenal and their effectiveness is often determined by their talents such that directors base their decisions on past performance. However, letting them step outside their comfort zones can often produce impressive results. Sawano may be comfortable where is or he may not have been given the opportunity to move outside certain styles.

Either way, it doesn't not detract from his skill at the art of musical composition.
Aug 16, 2017 9:41 PM

Apr 2013
Eh, only "Sawano" I care about is Dan Swanö (get it cause their names are kinda the same- bah, I don't really care about the dude's compositions tbh too samey, surprisingly I heard he's primarily a pianist so knowing that majority of what he does is electronic add in female vocal songs kinda makes me want to hear more of this dude's piano compositions)

anyway here's a Swanö song just because

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Aug 18, 2017 7:04 PM

Apr 2017
What marks a good soundtrack composer isn't their ability to write hype songs. Any semi-competent one can do that. What really shows you if someone is good at it is their ability to write calm songs for quiet introspection and mundane days between the action.

Sawano has only showed his ability to write hype songs, with very little variation between them. He is very overrated.
Feb 14, 2018 12:40 AM

Dec 2014
Seems like an old thread, but I'm gonna say my piece I guess.

Hiroyuki Sawano is an extremely versatile composer. He just hasn't had the opportunity to display that in the past 5 years. All the anime he's been hired for recently have been hype/action shows which don't necessarily lend to much variety when he's most popular for his hype tracks. You can't judge a composer by 10% of their work.

Granted his recent work has been less interesting to me due to the lack of versatility, but that's mainly because Sawano has showed that he CAN be versatile in the past.

Pre-2010 Sawano is drastically different to what you'd hear from him currently. Though it's not exactly fair to ask for that, he has shown that he's capable of so much more in recent years, if you listen to the J-Drama Mare OST, while he still retains his style, it's quite different to his typical hype tracks. Since it's, well, a slice of life show about making cakes.

I'm waiting for the day Sawano is hired for a slice of life anime and isn't just asked to do the same thing for every show. At least Re:CREATORS had disc 2 of the OST which was fairly experimental for modern Sawano, but the Attack on Titan S2 OST was more of the same (although it only had 11 new songs, which were all fairly good so I'm not necessarily complaining).

His stuff from his personal albums, musica (2009) and o1 (2015) do show a bit of Sawano's potential, though it's not the best indication of his versatility.

Sawano seems to not mind making similar tracks though, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I don't think Sawano as a whole is overrated, rather I'd say his best works are kinda underrated, though there are a few that are fairly popular. It's more that the songs that are popular are all the super hype tracks, which generates a stigma surrounding Sawano that places him as the "Japanese bombastic/hype composer".

Still waiting for a director to hire Sawano and bring out his full potential. Though I don't necessarily mind what we've been getting recently. I feel he needs a break though, he's been doing so much in the past year it's kind of overwhelming.
Feb 14, 2018 4:13 AM
Aug 2013
Well, Sawano Hiroyuki is one of the best composer in anime industry for me. His music is so great and awesome. Not just in Attack on Titan, you can find his music in other anime like Guilty Crown, Aldnoah Zero, and some other titles, and it also awesome

If you new to Sawano Hiroyuki, then you maybe need to hear the music from Yuki Kajiura too. She's also one of the best composer in anime industry, like Sawano Hiroyuki. But the style is little different.
Feb 14, 2018 4:37 AM

Jan 2018
He's pretty good, I didn't even know he was the composer of "Call Your Name", which is one of Attack On Titan's best ost.
Feb 14, 2018 9:40 AM

Nov 2008
I LOVE HIM, HE'S AMAZING!!

The font is large to show my appreciation for him. Lol. I will definitely watch every anime he composed for, no matter what people say about it. XD

Feb 14, 2018 11:35 AM

Apr 2013
He's still very shallow compared to many other Japanese composers, Susumu Hirasawa, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Yoko Kanno, Keiichi Okabe, and probably many other Japanese composers can ride him home.

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Feb 25, 2018 3:22 PM

Aug 2016
He´s one of the best composers out there Can´t understand how people put Hirasawa above this impeccable composer. Everything he does (or almos t everything) is so well done.
:v
Feb 27, 2018 9:07 PM

Feb 2017
He's alright, still not as good as people like Hirasawa Susumu, Kanno Yoko and even Kajiura Yuki
Feb 28, 2018 9:41 AM
Feb 2016
Sawano can have nice tracks on occasion, but the problem is that his style is too complacent and samey, and a lot of his tracks feel quite similar in structure. Also, the engrish in his songs can be nigh-incomprehensible.

Feb 28, 2018 9:42 AM

May 2015
He's great. Not a hack or overrated at all.

Oct 29, 2018 7:59 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
My favourite composer of all time across all genres of entertainment! Repetitive, lacking variety and whatnot, I completely agree with that but even then his music is just glorious! Many people compare him to Hans Zimmer, and I think he deserves all the credit he gets!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 1, 2018 5:49 PM

Nov 2007
Hirasawa is on another level, another genre and another "all", i do no Think they are comparable, for background and style - and i like more hirasawa with his own work than when working on ost.

I like very much sawano! Yes he is not very versatile and he sounds repetitive after a while, many of you are right, but I like the style of his songs and many are one of my favs. But in truth some i find them not so great (in example i don't like before my body is dried: lyrics are awful and kills all the music)

I Think He could do better right Now but i still like him and his style, for snk in example He was perfect, i hope He can improve outside his comfort zone in near future
Nov 5, 2018 1:00 PM

Oct 2016
Lacks diversity, if you listened to one of his OSTs, you basically heard all of them. Kabaneri soundtrack is the best and most versatile thing he's done
Jun 29, 2019 10:30 AM
Aug 2018
His best times were 2012-2016. After that he begin lost his magic touch...
Jun 29, 2019 11:34 AM

Dec 2018
SerhaTR0483-2 said:
His best times were 2012-2016. After that he begin lost his magic touch...
So true, he's decent but so repetitive, hope he gets back on track.
. . .
Jun 29, 2019 4:41 PM
Jul 2018
Sawano's soundtracks are hype, especially with Kill la Kill but not much else other than hype. Kaijura's soundtracks were more varied and overall stronger. Kensuke Ushio is better than both of them imo. Ping Pong soundtrack was amazing honestly.
Jun 29, 2019 9:42 PM

Feb 2019
fakeredshoes said:
Lacks diversity, if you listened to one of his OSTs, you basically heard all of them. Kabaneri soundtrack is the best and most versatile thing he's done

Not all of his music is repetitive. He has a few 3-part songs that put any other anime composer to shame, then he has a few -dozen- oversimplified ambience pieces that would fit better in a melancholy JRPG.
Jun 29, 2019 9:58 PM

Jan 2009
love his musics on Aldnoah.Zero and Re:Creators
Jun 30, 2019 4:54 PM

Apr 2009
You always have to remember that when it comes to this type of thing it is ALWAYS going to be opinionated. People prefer different things and it always going to be hard to try to please the majority.

Now saying that, I'm going to provide my own personal opinion. Sawano manages to please a good majority with a lot of his works. His compositions are simple and he does have distinctive sound but I like to think of that as sort of like his signature. FOR ME there has never been a composer in where I listened to an insert song in one of their works and had it stuck in my head for days on end. His stuff can leave a lasting impact if you're into it, but he also has songs that he's composed that are haunting and also build atmosphere, and simply beautiful in where they are short and sweet. Some of my favorite OSTs he's done have been his work on Ao no Exorcist and Aldnoah.Zero. Again, this is just my personal taste but I can listen to his works anytime and not get tired no matter how repetitive people say his works sound. I feel like Sawano has work that can hype me up, put me in a good mood, and something slower and more meaningful If I'm in the mood for that. Somebody else mentioned on this post that Sawano has older, less known work. At the end of the day if you want a specific sound just look for it.

Dec 9, 2019 7:23 PM
Sep 2018
Really love his music, especially his pieces done for Gundam Unicorn and Gundam NT
Jul 9, 2020 7:24 AM

Jul 2014
Before 2019, I would've been inclined to agree with everyone here saying that Sawano's music has grown stale and repetitive. But after watching the second part of AoT S3, I can safely say that all of my initial reservations have been blown completely out of the water.

The soundtrack he made for the season nailed everything I could've possibly asked for. The hype, the desperation, the melancholy, the nostalgia, the foreboding. His tracks delivered on all fronts and more. By the end of it all, I can honestly say that very few other osts have evoked the same levels of raw I emotion I felt while listening to it play during the show.
Mar 10, 2021 4:42 AM
Jul 2020
Comic_Sans said:
He's done some decent stuff but he's mainly a hack whose music is all about that BIG AND BOMBASTIC SHIT. Sorry, but copying Hans Zimmer doesn't make you a genius.

Also, he looks like a criminal and I would not want to meet him on an empty street on a dark night
just tell how toxic can u be
Mar 10, 2021 6:19 AM

Jul 2020
He makes beautiful music, Kevin Penkin would be proud

Mar 10, 2021 1:05 PM

Oct 2017
He is the hype composer and I do enjoy his music but people are on point about his lack of variety. If you have heard one of his soundtracks you have heard them all. Interested to see what he is going to do on 86 PV sounded nice even if again it is more typical Sawano.
BilboBaggins365Mar 10, 2021 1:08 PM
Mar 13, 2021 9:46 PM
Jun 2020
his stuff can be cool, but it's often loud and compressed. not a fav composer by any means, but still respec
Mar 14, 2021 7:40 PM
Oct 2013
Shishou_23 said:
I think he's overrated. He's good, but no where near as good as Yuki Kajiura and Taku Iwasaki. His OST lacks versatility or should I say variety imo and is too much vocalized recently.

I didn't really know these composers despite their great anime works, but they really are good I still think hiroyuki sawano is better and I don't agree that their ost really lacks versatility. But thanks for helping me to discover these 2 composers.
Now I have music to listen to
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why still no Cyberpunk season 2 entry in anime DB?

Stuntdrath - 7 hours ago

2 by deg »»
51 minutes ago

» New devil may cry animated series

Old_School_Akira - 7 hours ago

1 by HattoriSoul »»
5 hours ago

» Arcane | League of Legends | Netflix ( 1 2 3 )

Septone - Nov 7, 2021

120 by Old_School_Akira »»
7 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

8561 by KitsuFrost »»
8 hours ago

» Whats your favourite video game music?

kkorupted - Aug 13

26 by Archean-Return »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.