Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do you like sports anime
May 24, 2017 7:41 PM

Apr 2013
Do you like sports anime, and why?

I do enjoy it, but I really only watch it when I run out of stuff I want to watch.
Not trying to diss it though...they are fun to watch.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 24, 2017 7:43 PM

Jan 2008
Well sports anime often correlate to fujoshi bait so OP is probably a fag.

On a serious note, I don't mind them, though I don't intentionally seek them out.
May 24, 2017 7:46 PM

Aug 2016
Lol the only sports anime I've watched so far is Yuri!!! on ICE, but I do plan to watch some more in the future. Well, I don't particularly like all the fujoshi flying to sports anime with all their yaoi pairings, and the lack of female characters, but I guess it can still be entertaining?
May 24, 2017 7:51 PM

Apr 2013
Paul said:
Well sports anime often correlate to fujoshi bait so OP is probably a fag.

On a serious note, I don't mind them, though I don't intentionally seek them out.

Im bi actually...and im probably one of the rare people on this website that actually has a gf. To be fair though she was p*****g me the other day so yeah I guess I'm kinda gay.
May 24, 2017 7:55 PM

Dec 2016
At first I thought I wouldnt like them. That was until I watched Haikyuu, kuroko no basket, and Hajime no ippo. All 3 of them were phenomenal.
May 24, 2017 7:55 PM

Jun 2015
Where is the neutral option?

Yes, I agree, OP is a fag /s
May 24, 2017 8:00 PM

Apr 2017
>Unless It's Ping pong, So Yeah :D..

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
May 24, 2017 8:01 PM
Apr 2016
Sports anime is the shit. Hajime no Ippo, Kuroko no Basket, Ashita No Joe, Slam Dunk, Slam Dunk etc its my favorite Genre
May 24, 2017 8:12 PM

Jun 2015
Yes, Since childhood I'm kind the athletic kid that you knew in normal circle of friend.
May 24, 2017 8:21 PM

Jun 2015
oh yes, i do like Keijo! xd
ehem, i mean, i watched Slam Dunk on tv when i was young, it was gud!
May 24, 2017 8:30 PM

Dec 2012
Not particularly, it's a genre I don't have much interest in, though I did enjoy:

Bamboo Blade
Chihayafuru
Initial D
Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple
Over Drive
Redline
Suzuka
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 24, 2017 8:34 PM

Aug 2009
Depends on the show, the majority are pretty lame, but I'm down with stuff like Ippo, Ashita no Joe and Ping Pong.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
May 24, 2017 8:38 PM

May 2017
No one mentioned Daiya no ace(Diamond no ace) and Ookiku furikabutte? :/ great sport anime, u should try it.
May 24, 2017 8:39 PM

Aug 2014
I have seen tons of sports animes and they usually come off as boring. I enjoy sports anime when they are doing non-sports stuff. The only two sports animes that I have enjoyed both when participating in a sports or when doing non-sports stuff are Free and Eyeshield 21.
May 24, 2017 8:40 PM

Aug 2016
I don't hate on the genre... but it's one genre which can get repetitive really quickly...
May 24, 2017 8:45 PM

Apr 2015
I play sports in real life so yes. I just don't like it when some sport anime focus on the gay fanservice rather than the story.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 24, 2017 8:51 PM

Jun 2015
Sports in a genre I enjoy more than most.
:)
May 24, 2017 8:53 PM

May 2017
YURI On Ice!!! is the reason why I wish the Stanley Cup playoffs were more interesting to watch.

i still love hockey, though.
May 24, 2017 9:00 PM

Jan 2013
Yes but sports anime like Haikyuu, not fanservice sports wannabe anime like Yuri on Ice. ;-;

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
May 24, 2017 9:05 PM

Sep 2014
I haven't watched and nor have I been picking out sports animes but judging a book by its cover is a bad idea sometimes. I mean, I didn't think a cooking anime could be enjoyable but then I watched Shokugeki no Souma thanks to its popularity and I have no regrets. 10/10.
May 24, 2017 9:11 PM

Apr 2017
No because they are often not very entertaining for me, as many sports that I dislike to watch in really life are usually shown in anime with the exception of basketball. Anime like Yuri!!! on Ice is a no go for me and I dont really want to watch Haikyuu!! either because they dont find my tastes. The only sports anime I have watched to this date is Kuroko no Basket (and I found it pretty enjoyable but Ive put it on hold)

Sports and music (with the exception of Love Live) are some of my least favorite genres, whereas my favorite genres are Action, Romance, Ecchi, Shounen, Harem, and Comedy and all of my favorites usually never work well with both or even just one of my disliked genres.

Of course, im sure there are some great sports anime that I havent seen yet, but this is just my opinion (づ-ヮ-)づ
May 24, 2017 9:14 PM

Feb 2015
Ohhh a fucking truly befitting thread for my salt... :/

You've truly come to a fucking good time OP...

How can I repay you?
May 25, 2017 1:52 AM

May 2014
I only tend to watch them if they're recommended to me specifically by a mate.
I think the only ones I've seen recently are Yuri on Ice and Haikyuu.

I only really can watch sports anime where I know about the sport, so things like Kuroko no Basuke are beyond me. I only watched Haikyuu because I used to play volleyball.

I am a sucker for the tournament format, but I generally find sports shows mediocre or boring so I'd rather watch shows like Hunter x Hunter or Kaiji that have a competition format but aren't about sports.
May 25, 2017 1:55 AM

Jan 2010
YES

- Bromance
- Lots of bishies
- Shounen-ai undertones
- Exciting tournaments
- Bromance
May 25, 2017 2:03 AM

Feb 2013
no, unless it ssomething with qt girls and even then it's iffy
and also dont like real sports
May 25, 2017 4:53 AM

Dec 2013
yeah except kuroko no basket its really cringe worthy i mean the superpower in basketball is really look dumb
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 25, 2017 5:15 AM

Nov 2011
I find watching sports irl to be boring for the most part, but what few experiences I've had with sports anime have been good ones.

I'm planning on looking into the genre more.
May 25, 2017 5:20 AM

Jan 2016
Yes sport anime like Ashita no Joe are one of the best experiences this medium can provide.

Still waiting for an adaptation of Kokou no Hito or Kamigami no Itadaki.
Johnnyd3rpMay 25, 2017 5:25 AM
May 25, 2017 5:23 AM

Jul 2016
It's not about liking or disliking them for me. I barely find sports anime with a synopsis that makes me interested. And on the long run, I've dropped or put on hold more than half the Sports anime I started. I've only completed less than 20 sports anime so my opinion does not even matter that much for the topic. Maybe one day I'll find watching that kind of genre interesting, who knows, my opinion changes a lot with time.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

May 25, 2017 5:26 AM

Feb 2015
I've only watched Hajime no Ippo and One Outs, and liked both. But sports as a theme doesn't interest me, so I only really watch it if like a friend recommends it to me.
May 25, 2017 5:28 AM
Jul 2018
Volleyball Men: USA vs Italy in the Olympics Rio 2016 was hella blast match more than any of the matches in Haikyuu tho. #justsaying
May 25, 2017 5:29 AM

Jul 2013
Not really much. The only sports animes I have watched other than Haikyuu (first season only) and Inazuma Eleven are Teekyuu, hantsu x Trash and Keijo!!!!!!!!... that alone should indicate how invested I am in the genre.
May 25, 2017 11:18 AM

Apr 2013
TripleSRank said:
I find watching sports irl to be boring for the most part, but what few experiences I've had with sports anime have been good ones.

I'm planning on looking into the genre more.

Yeah I don't watch sports..so I was surprised that I actually liked sports anime.
May 25, 2017 11:20 AM

Apr 2015
I love sports anime. Sports anime, like Slam Dunk, actually got me into particular sports; many of which I still play today.
May 25, 2017 11:27 AM

Apr 2016
They are too much Gay for my taste so NO.
May 25, 2017 11:28 AM

Aug 2016
It's a genre I probably won't mind and something I can see myself enjoying. I only watched Keijo and Ping Pong and I enjoyed both, so it's off to a good start.

At the very latest, by next month, I'm going to start on watching Haikyuu and Kuroko no Basket.

I also plan by the end of the year to get through at least one of Chihayafuru or Hajime No Ippo. I haven't added to my list yet of Ashita no Joe, but that seems like something I'd also enjoy.

Mainly excited to see Hajime no Ippo though
MechKingKillbotMay 25, 2017 11:31 AM
May 25, 2017 11:30 AM

Aug 2013
I don't mind it. Especially if it's not only focused on sports. Like Suzuka or Ginban Kaleidoscope.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
May 25, 2017 11:38 AM

Aug 2016
yeeeees I love sports, even though I haven't seen /that/ much yet. it's exciting to watch, I like the rivalry between teams and to learn more about a sport I don't know much about. I prefer all-male casts and sports is a genre where all-male cast anime are actually good. My favorites are Diamond no Ace and YoI while the funniest I've watched are Haikyuu and Eyeshield 21.

I don't really understand why guys think most sports are gay? the only ones I've seen with shounen-ai undertones were YoI and maybe Free! with a little bit of imagination. did I miss any? please tell me because I really wanna watch more of those :p
May 25, 2017 11:42 AM

Apr 2013
dino-chan said:
yeeeees I love sports, even though I haven't seen /that/ much yet. it's exciting to watch, I like the rivalry between teams and to learn more about a sport I don't know much about. I prefer all-male casts and sports is a genre where all-male cast anime are actually good. My favorites are Diamond no Ace and YoI while the funniest I've watched are Haikyuu and Eyeshield 21.

I don't really understand why guys think most sports are gay? the only ones I've seen with shounen-ai undertones were YoI and maybe Free! with a little bit of imagination. did I miss any? please tell me because I really wanna watch more of those :p
Someone gets it...I suppose yuri on ice could be considered a sports anime. That seams to be a rare breed though. Most sports anime only has male bonding...apparently male bonding is gay in this day & age.
May 25, 2017 11:45 AM

Oct 2011
I really like it because it has the tendency to offer a lot of remarkable characters. My favourite is Kuroko No Basuke, but I love Yowamushi Pedal too tbh
May 25, 2017 11:45 AM

Jun 2008
I didn't watch sports anime at first, because i was sure i wouldn't like it since i don't like sports.
Then i started watching Kuroko no Basket because it had hot guys voiced by some of my favorite seiyuu's and i ended up really enjoying it.
Now some of my favorite anime is sports anime.
May 25, 2017 11:46 AM

Jan 2016
astrozombie84 said:
dino-chan said:

Someone gets it...I suppose yuri on ice could be considered a sports anime. That seams to be a rare breed though. Most sports anime only has male bonding...apparently male bonding is gay in this day & age.

Well i guess for the majority of the anime community the major physical effort they did it was throwing confetti.
Johnnyd3rpMay 25, 2017 3:12 PM
May 25, 2017 12:07 PM

Aug 2016
astrozombie84 said:
dino-chan said:

yoi should definitely be considered as a sports anime, just as one that's more enjoyable for girls c: the show is way more about the sport than people seem to think. most episodes are spammed with competition and romance is just used as a subgenre.
May 25, 2017 12:24 PM

Jul 2013
i don't like sports but for some reason greatly enjoy most sport anime. I think there's a certain excitement to them and I enjoy watching character interaction. Also, it usually avoids the 'damsel-in-distress' and 'violent tsundere' tropes that I dislike.
May 25, 2017 12:27 PM

Jan 2013
I love sports anime; just not the gay new shit they made recently. It's sad seeing such a great genre become a gay bait. fucking japs
May 25, 2017 12:31 PM

Dec 2015
SkyFullOfStars said:
i don't like sports but for some reason greatly enjoy most sport anime. I think there's a certain excitement to them and I enjoy watching character interaction. Also, it usually avoids the 'damsel-in-distress' and 'violent tsundere' tropes that I dislike.
I feel the same way! Glad I am not alone. For me too it is all about the characters, interactions, and getting inside the player's head.
May 25, 2017 2:04 PM

Jul 2015
Sometimes, I just don't watch a lot of sports anime though. I might start watching Princess Nine again, about a girl baseball pitcher, it's a lot better than that lame show that Fox cancelled, Pitch, (about a lady MLB pitcher.)
May 25, 2017 2:50 PM

Jun 2016
I voted OP is a fag sorry. Seriously though there should be an option for people who haven't watched any. Although if I did watch it I'm sure I would like it. I'm actually thinking about buying Kuroko's Basketball manga
May 25, 2017 3:21 PM

Nov 2016
I don't like them...

I love them, sports is probably my favorite genre and my average rating for sports anime is really high. My reason for liking them is simple, love the themes they portray like friendship and fighting against an op opponent( lot of battle shounen have that too, but it's kinda different in sports), characters usually have a great development and they get me pumped up like nothing else. The feeling while watching an exiting match in Kuroko no Basket or Haikyuu is just amazing.

There are still many titles I have yet to watch, Ashita no Joe, Major, Prince of Tennis, Baby Steps, Chihayafuru, Air Gear and some more.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 25, 2017 3:48 PM

Aug 2014
Is hentai a sport? If yes, yes, otherwise, maybe.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

39 by Hikinekomori »»
53 seconds ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

61 by AzafuseKingTora »»
2 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

49 by Ratris_Decision »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

57 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 3 hours ago

15 by ShatteredSans »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.