Forum Settings
Forums

What is the most Generic Shounen you can think of?

New
Feb 10, 2017 7:30 PM

Oct 2015
I keep hearing people calling this show "generic" and that show "generic". Whats this "Generic Shounen" that people keep comparing other shows too?
Or, can you describe what a "generic shounen" looks and acts like? What makes it generic?
The peasant is bound by the king. The king is bound by the peasants and their kingdom. But the Viking is bound to nothing but themselves.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 10, 2017 7:34 PM

Feb 2013
☑ super powered boys fighting solve eveything
☑ good guys always win
☑ nakama power (optional but prefered)

see: one piece man, shaman alchemist, the last dragonball bender
romagiaFeb 10, 2017 7:38 PM
Feb 10, 2017 7:37 PM

Jan 2014
Dragon Ball series, 7 Deadly Sins, Fairy Tail come to mind..
They're generic because the fights all end the same. There's usually this "power up" and they instantly become stronger and win, then they just recycle the idea throughout the show. It isn't good writing. It's lazy writing.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Feb 10, 2017 7:37 PM
Aug 2016
Fullmetal alchemist Brotherhood ended in a generic way so FMA is a generic fighting shounen

Unlike FMA 2003
Feb 10, 2017 7:40 PM

Oct 2015
Most any show longer than a hundred episodes that are Shounen fit. That annoying type of action comedy that is incredibly silly with overpowered characters in penis-measuring contest fights, with tons of sexualized female characters and a story designed specially for Japanese 9 year olds to adore. But it has to have those moments where it gets super serious and "shit gets real" like all Japanese kids shows seem to do. Fairy Tale seems to be the most generic one but there are others (Beezlebub or whatever seems pretty lame).
Feb 10, 2017 7:41 PM

Oct 2015
Fairy Tail with the power of friendship

"I wish I was sober to feel the pain
So many dark days I can’t explain"

----------
My Sigs
MAL Interview
Feb 10, 2017 7:46 PM
Jan 2015
Zelev said:
They're generic because the fights all end the same. There's usually this "power up" and they instantly become stronger and win, then they just recycle the idea throughout the show. It isn't good writing. It's lazy writing.
I'm pretty sure the dragon ball series started the trend, so you can't really call it generic when its pretty much the original.
My Queens

Feb 10, 2017 7:50 PM

Jan 2014
-Mahesvara said:
Zelev said:
I'm pretty sure the dragon ball series started the trend, so you can't really call it generic when its pretty much the original.

It's original at being generic. Ooo0oOoo

Feb 10, 2017 7:51 PM

Dec 2016
Ironically, describing a show as generic is an incredibly generic criticism. It's like calling something forgettable. Doesn't really have a concrete definition, so it's hard to dispute, and it doesn't facilitate any kind of meaningful discussion about the show.
Feb 10, 2017 7:52 PM

Mar 2016
I wouldn't say Dragon Ball is a generic shonen when it was groundbreaking to the point where every shonen after it tried in some way to imitate its storytelling style
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Feb 10, 2017 7:58 PM

Oct 2014
RP59 said:
Ironically, describing a show as generic is an incredibly generic criticism. It's like calling something forgettable. Doesn't really have a concrete definition, so it's hard to dispute, and it doesn't facilitate any kind of meaningful discussion about the show.

if you look at it that way half of the terms we use are generic criticism that do not have a concrete definition or measurement
i agree though that the reasoning for calling it so is way for helpfull than just saying so
Feb 10, 2017 7:58 PM

Feb 2015
Come on, what's the point, little kids don't have a problem with it anyway, so I don't see a problem with it.
Feb 10, 2017 7:59 PM
Jan 2015
Zelev said:
-Mahesvara said:

Something original can't be generic.
My Queens

Feb 10, 2017 8:05 PM

Dec 2016
gabrielrroiz said:

if you look at it that way half of the terms we use are generic criticism that do not have a concrete definition or measurement
i agree though that the reasoning for calling it so is way for helpfull than just saying so

You're right. I thought about that after posting. But yeah, if there's no reasoning provided it's pretty worthless for other people. It's fine to say "I dislike it because it's generic/forgettable/awful/boring, and here's why I find it that way: etc etc" But when I'm trying to figure out what to watch and I see a ton of adjectives with no explanation as to why they're applicable, it can be frustrating haha
Feb 10, 2017 8:05 PM

Oct 2015
-Mahesvara said:
Zelev said:

lol an endless loop of generic originality
The peasant is bound by the king. The king is bound by the peasants and their kingdom. But the Viking is bound to nothing but themselves.

Feb 10, 2017 8:08 PM

Oct 2014
Battle shounen parodies like Gintama and One Punch Man would be by definition generic since otherwise they wouldn't be doing a good job at being parodies of the genre. This obviously doesn't make them bad anime, but if you don't enjoy the style of comedy they present they'll feel like the most generic battle shounen you can get.
Feb 10, 2017 8:09 PM

Jul 2016
Dragonball Z.

And it's still GOAT, generic or not.
Feb 10, 2017 8:09 PM

Oct 2015
RP59 said:
Untrue. If you can back it up with evidence, it is very easy to say how something is not generic. Support your argument, that the show doesn't just slide by, that it has special elements that make it worth spending your time on, and you can dispel that criticism.

For example: is Madoka Magica generic? No, because it has a cast of standout characters, a creative storytelling element, and explores themes most animes don't touch. Is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure generic? No, because it is ridiculously over-the-top with unique character design and memorable silliness that transcends anything from normal shounen. Is DanMachi generic? Well.... Yeah.
Feb 10, 2017 8:16 PM

Sep 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
Battle shounen parodies like Gintama and One Punch Man would be by definition generic since otherwise they wouldn't be doing a good job at being parodies of the genre. This obviously doesn't make them bad anime, but if you don't enjoy the style of comedy they present they'll feel like the most generic battle shounen you can get.

They are parodies because they clearly mock the shows and take the "generic" parts of those battle shounens to absurd levels. Basically, it's a funny caricature they make from them. You can't say they are "by definition" generic when they aren't taking themselves seriously (at all) like your average battle shounen anime.
Feb 10, 2017 8:37 PM

Jan 2014
-Mahesvara said:
Zelev said:

I didn't see that problem in 7 Deadly Sins at all. In most cases it's actually the opposite because the main characters are already overpowered and fool around until it's time to get serious.
The only power up in the entire anime was Meliodas' demon form and even then he didn't win.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 10, 2017 8:39 PM

Jan 2014
-Mahesvara said:
Zelev said:

I guess. Although, just because something is "original" doesn't mean it's good. It paved the way for mediocrity - that's hardly an accomplishment.

Feb 10, 2017 8:42 PM

Jan 2014
RedRoseFring said:
-Mahesvara said:

I didn't see that problem in 7 Deadly Sins at all. In most cases it's actually the opposite because the main characters are already overpowered and fool around until it's time to get serious.
The only power up in the entire anime was Meliodas' demon form and even then he didn't win.

...One of the guys is literally immortal from what I remember. I wouldn't really know much about the show past a couple episodes, considering I dropped it.

Feb 10, 2017 8:44 PM

Jan 2014
Zelev said:
RedRoseFring said:

...One of the guys is literally immortal from what I remember. I wouldn't really know much about the show past a couple episodes, considering I dropped it.

Then how can you call it generic if you didn't even finish 23 episodes? Are the other shounen with immortal main characters as well?
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 10, 2017 8:45 PM

Jul 2014
Fairy Tail and its not even close, it has all the shounen tropes fully maxed out
Feb 10, 2017 8:50 PM

Jan 2014
RedRoseFring said:
Zelev said:

Then how can you call it generic if you didn't even finish 23 episodes? Are the other shounen with immortal main characters as well?

Because the first 12 episodes were cliche as hell. I feel like I've seen it before. It resembles Fairy Tail in some aspects, plus other shows.

Feb 10, 2017 9:01 PM

Jan 2014
Zelev said:
RedRoseFring said:

Because the first 12 episodes were cliche as hell. I feel like I've seen it before. It resembles Fairy Tail in some aspects, plus other shows.

By that reasoning, most series are generic. It's really only later on that series differentiate themselves because the first few episodes focus on character introductions.

Anyway, you'll certainly get to the point where you feel like you've seen everything before, but it is the details that make a series distinct.
I can most certainly say that the 7 Deadly Sins is nowhere close to DBZ or Fairy Tail in that regard.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 10, 2017 9:02 PM
Jan 2013
gone bai bai
Feb 10, 2017 9:11 PM

Jul 2015
1. The power of FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!
2. Weak MC becomes Over Power in no time
3. Power-up that comes from nowhere
Eg : Naruto and 7 Deadly Sins
Feb 10, 2017 9:14 PM

Jan 2011
Twin Star Exorcists or one of those WSJ manga that last a volume or two before getting canned.
Feb 10, 2017 9:16 PM
Jan 2015
Zelev said:
-Mahesvara said:

I guess. Although, just because something is "original" doesn't mean it's good. It paved the way for mediocrity - that's hardly an accomplishment.
Yeah being original doesn't necessarily mean something is good, but being generic doesn’t make something bad either.
My Queens

Feb 10, 2017 9:25 PM

May 2010
Nakama power, talk-no-jutsu (changing all villain's into the good guys because they were wrong about their revenge/just being bad and/or alone), cliche characters, Dark Past™.

Having badass character who is all like I don't need anyone, they are just hindrance, I'm gonna have all the power muahahah. But later main guy with a single final punch convinces him that he sucks and later tough guy is crying and being all like finally I have my own nakama, deep inside I always wanted dis ;_______;

Oh, and the main guy at the beginning sucks at everything, just so a few arcs later he can own everyone and becomes OP af.

Shit, this sounds a lot like Naruto @_@
Feb 11, 2017 1:05 AM

May 2015
Dragon Ball Z without a doubt. For all its colors and wacky designs, it still looks generic and boring.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 11, 2017 1:42 AM

Feb 2016
mattao313 said:
Fairy Tail and its not even close, it has all the shounen tropes fully maxed out

Have you tried Taboo Tatoo? I think it exceeds FT in shouneness

Or maybe not? Cause its a bit edgy

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Feb 11, 2017 1:49 AM

Feb 2015
Calling Dragon Ball a generic shounen is like calling Doom a generic shooter. When it came out it was groundbreaking, the only real fighting shounen at the time were Fist of the North Star and Kinnikuman and both of them are very different from what people today would expept of a "shounen". My vote goes to Fairy Tail. It's probably the most cliched manga I've read so far, it literally tries nothing new and it really doesn't excel in any area.
AshitaNoJonasFeb 11, 2017 5:22 AM
Feb 11, 2017 1:58 AM
Jul 2018
Look at me, I don't like shounen, my taste so guuuuuuuuuud: The Thread.

Feb 11, 2017 1:42 PM

Jul 2014
HamburgerSpike said:
mattao313 said:

Have you tried Taboo Tatoo? I think it exceeds FT in shouneness

Or maybe not? Cause its a bit edgy

From the little I seen, I agree I think its more on the edgy side
Feb 11, 2017 1:43 PM

Jan 2016
That "pirate" shit called one piss or so.
Feb 11, 2017 1:49 PM

Aug 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
Dragon Ball Z without a doubt. For all its colors and wacky designs, it still looks generic and boring.
Far less generic looking than shitty Mirai Nikki. The Dragon Ball franchise has some character designs that don't exist in any other anime.

JonasTheJay said:
Calling Dragon Ball a generic shounen is like calling Doom a generic shooter.
Yeah Dragon Ball popularized and helped create the battle shonen genre , calling it generic is like calling Superman (the first mainstream superhero) a generic superhero.
DrGeroCreationFeb 11, 2017 1:54 PM
Feb 11, 2017 2:06 PM

Feb 2010
Idk, the most painfully average battle shounen I've seen is probably Kiba. Even back when I was still young and easily hyped and hadn't seen much, this shit wasn't very exciting.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 11, 2017 2:25 PM

Feb 2010
Oh, also the original Saint Seiya is probably one of the most formulaic ones. It's literally the same pattern for 100+ episodes.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 11, 2017 2:42 PM

Jun 2016
Sekigan said:
Dragonball comes to mind, as does Naruto and One Piece.

The only thing is that OP and DB are kinda the originators of the "Generic shonen" as other shonens since have copied many elements and themes from OP and DB (and other older ones too)

Out of those series, I would only consider Dragon Ball to be an originator. Both Naruto and One Piece (as well as countless other shounen) were at least partially inspired by DB.
Feb 11, 2017 2:46 PM

Mar 2015
One piece, fairy tail are definitely the top place ones... maybe bleach and naruto as well.
dont't watch that anime if you are going to give it 1* and cry 10000 words in review about it.
Feb 11, 2017 2:53 PM

May 2014
Probably Bleach or Fairy Tail...I can deal with an ass pull or two, heck even the odd Nakama power up speech isn't that bad, but these two took it to whole new levels- especially Fairy Tail.

The horrid thing is that those two series had the potential to be so much more :/

Inuyasha was generic as hell as well, even though it was one of the first shounen anime I watched. I thought maybe the huge romantic subplot would make it feel more fresh but that somehow made it even more generic because it followed almost all of the typical melodramatic romantic schmuck you could think of XD

A lot of sports anime seem to fall into the same pitfalls of genericism too- the ones I've seen just take a typical battle Shounen formula and throw it into some sport setting (Kuroko no Basuke, Haikyuu, Hajime no Ippo, Yowamushi Pedal).
Most of them have the underdog, the ace, the unbeatable "villain", the obligatory cripple/retired star, a crap ton of training arcs, perhaps a female manager- bc remember this is aimed at teen boys and they won't want a complete sausage fest even tho like 80% of the fans are fujoshi anyway- and rare losses. If there are losses, cue more training arcs full of sweaty emotional guys bonding over their mutual loss. Extremely formulaic.

After you've watched a few, it gets old. I'm just convinced sports anime can't work long term, bc even stronger series like Hajime no Ippo got boring about 40 episodes in imo. Starts pulling the power of friendship stuff and unyielding willpower crap.

Oh, and how could I forget Part 1 of JoJo? Phantom Blood has all the cliches found in every other 80's Shounen...accept the ending. God that surprised the hell outta me when I first saw it. Aside from that though, it was clouded with Shounen genericism.
Unlike many others though, it was actually fun af to watch.

It's what I like to call stylistically generic.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 11, 2017 4:48 PM

Mar 2016
romagia said:
☑ super powered boys fighting solve eveything
☑ good guys always win
☑ nakama power (optional but prefered)

see: one piece man, shaman alchemist brotherhood, the last dragonball bender

Fixed, Shaman 03 DID NOT follow those points at all. biggest complaint people have about it.

Feb 11, 2017 4:49 PM

Mar 2016
Sekigan said:
Dragonball comes to mind, as does Naruto and One Piece.

The only thing is that OP and DB are kinda the originators of the "Generic shonen" as other shonens since have copied many elements and themes from OP and DB (and other older ones too)
Agreed. Although OP is inspired by Dragon ball, as some other guy mentioned. Not enough to be a blatant rip off though.

Feb 11, 2017 4:52 PM
Mar 2015
Fairy tail. The only thing it is missing is a high school setting.
Feb 11, 2017 4:52 PM
Jul 2018
When people throw the word generic they mostly use it to describe a series that follows a lot of the same tropes and cliches, without really bringing nothing relatively new to the table (which this is something that the shounen genre happens to be oversaturated with).

What is the most "generic shounen" that i can think of? hmn probably Fairy Tail yes.
Feb 11, 2017 5:01 PM

Mar 2016
Zelev said:
But it doesn't say anything about the work itself, only on its legacy
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

234 by FZREMAKE »»
2 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 51 minutes ago

5 by WatchTillTandava »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 3 hours ago

18 by logopolis »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 2 hours ago

12 by Nirinbo »»
6 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

31 by SgtBateMan »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.