Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Granblue Fantasy
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 21, 2017 2:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, they aired the special episode so far for this series. This arc or at least the start of it as actually better than I had thought. We got introduction of the main characters, story, and fantasy elements. The action was fluid (intense in fact) and story has potential for more development.

The show so far has a very high fantasy feeling to it. Out of all the main characters, I think lieutenant Katalina impressed me the most so far.
Oh and BUMP OF CHICKEN! Almost forgot about that. They actually perform the theme song for this. We also got to know a bit of Gran as well.

Stark700Jan 21, 2017 4:25 AM
Jan 21, 2017 4:28 AM

Nov 2008
I only made it to the halfway mark. The art style is unique, but I'm not sure if I like it. Probably won't watch more.
Jan 21, 2017 5:56 AM
Nov 2015
Hm, pretty boring episode, I'll put this on-hold for now.
Also why is this still marked as not yet aired?
Jan 21, 2017 6:00 AM

Nov 2011
kamisu said:

CR streamed the episodes today but apparently, the main TV anime got delayed to Spring. However, they aired both episodes as a form of pre-air rather than a 1-hour special.
Jan 21, 2017 6:07 AM

Apr 2010
Looks interesting, i heard a lot about the game so i thought i check it out it looks rather interesting.
The characters seem nice so i wonder how the rest of the anime will look.
Stark700 said:
kamisu said:

CR streamed the episodes today but apparently, the main TV anime got delayed to Spring. However, they aired both episodes as a form of pre-air rather than a 1-hour special.
I watched this raw so i am pretty sure that i didn't watch the version from CR unless they also stream raw anime.
So my guess is that Niconico also aired it.
Jan 21, 2017 6:11 AM
Mar 2015
well,this pretty much how i imagine a Final Fantasy anime would look like(the classic ones,not the Nomura era).
specially with the same character designer.
edge13Jan 21, 2017 6:44 AM
Jan 21, 2017 6:40 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Well, thats surprising. I guess i could give it a shot if the subs comes.
Bump of chicken's OP is good but compared to their other op and ed, its a little bit weak personally.
I like the visuals tho.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 21, 2017 9:20 AM

Jun 2016
Aversa said:
I watched this raw so i am pretty sure that i didn't watch the version from CR unless they also stream raw anime.

Crunchyroll does indeed stream raw anime. Or rather, they have softsubs in several different languages at once (English, Spanish, and Portuguese for this series as of right now). Set the subtitle language to "No Subtitles" and there you go, raw.
Jan 21, 2017 9:34 AM

Sep 2016
the only good thing in this anime is the flying lizard
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 21, 2017 11:33 AM
Jul 2016
It's pretty dull, but that's fine since it's establishing the world, its characters, and feeling. The animation seems a bit "choppy", especially during fight scenes, but I can handle that. The art style is great. It stays true to the game.

I'll invest and see where it goes. I do play the mobile game, so it does bring a lot of nostalgia with the music and story.

Waiting on some Erune girls to show up!!
Jan 21, 2017 11:58 AM

Dec 2014
Decent starting episode, too bad a lot of people aren't liking this.

Fairly classic turn of events with a mysterious girl who is obviously special and the MC's encounter with her, Girl is on the run and our MC is obviously going to try to save her and eventually gain(ed) some power. Despite it being cliched, I'm gonna restate that I liked this.

Action looks nice and the art comes of as a little weird, I think it's the way the hair lines are drawn but I guess I got used to it. Character designs are nice too.
Ah, Rie Kugimiya familiars are always the best. xD

Oh look, It's a full Black reshade of the Bahamut from FFX and believe it or not, it's called Bahamut too. It even had the same folded hands entrance pose. xD

Also BUMP OF CHICKEN GO. :DD
Lelouch0202Jan 21, 2017 12:30 PM
Jan 21, 2017 1:04 PM

Sep 2015
Pretty cliche so far but might as well see it to the end
Jan 21, 2017 1:34 PM

Jul 2015
Looks like it was drawn with charcoal to me for some reason. Or like how it looks when you try to draw on concrete with a rock. Doesn't look terrible but doesn't look great either. As for the story and characters, not clicking with me so far.
Jan 21, 2017 2:38 PM

Sep 2015
Half episode in and I already had some serious doubts about if it'll be good. Looks like just another one of the A-1 Picture fails I've seen so many in recent years.
Jan 21, 2017 3:01 PM

Jan 2008
Never played Granblue and honestly only tried this for Sawashiro Miyuki. Not really sure what I was expecting from another browser game adaption but it wasn't much in the first place. Though it's got higher than a 7 on MAL so I guess some people are enjoying it compared to other previous browser game adaptions. Tabbed away several times in between so that's not a good sign for me.
Jan 21, 2017 3:38 PM

Apr 2013
alpha_shadow said:
Gosh do I hate that art style, what were they thinking. Dropped 6:40 minutes in because of that terrible art, plus it seems like it's going to be a boring generic crappy game adaptation.

Good, just drop it. It's definitely not your cup of tea
Jan 21, 2017 4:32 PM

Oct 2011
SAWASHIRO MIYUKI OMG YES!!!!!!!!
<333
Jan 21, 2017 4:36 PM

May 2015
Hmm, not sure what to think so far. Guess I'll just have to wait and see. Although, I do have to say that the art style is kinda unique.

Jan 21, 2017 5:14 PM

Jan 2011
Okay well for me never really caring about the story i can't really speak to much for the later parts but this was just the tutorial which i guess was decent i mean putting Gran as the MC makes it come off as generic Shonen,which it kinda is.

While the art style is interesting with how they are handling the adaption i can't tell if looks unfinished at time or it's intentional like some of the key frames look like there still in post production lol.

Bump for chicken coming back is some great news but judging from the opening it has most of the story characters appear and a few others so it looks like there won't be a lot of Gatcha characters besides a few which is pretty lame i hope i'm wrong.

can't see this having much legs for non fans of the game unless they do good on the character stories since those and some of the event are the most entertaining narrative aspects of granblue
Jan 21, 2017 6:31 PM

Jun 2015
Decent episode. The animation looks good and the sound is good too. The action was cool. Characters look nice. The way they're drawn looks weird though. I like the OP.
Jan 21, 2017 7:45 PM

Apr 2010
XerBlade said:
Aversa said:

Crunchyroll does indeed stream raw anime. Or rather, they have softsubs in several different languages at once (English, Spanish, and Portuguese for this series as of right now). Set the subtitle language to "No Subtitles" and there you go, raw.
Well there is also the part that i watched 2 episode and not a 1 hour special like @Stark700 mentioned.
CR probably aired those 2 episode in a one hour special while my Niconico aired them as two episodes, at least that's my guess.
Jan 21, 2017 7:47 PM

Jun 2016
Aversa said:
Well there is also the part that i watched 2 episode and not a 1 hour special like @Stark700 mentioned.
CR probably aired those 2 episode in a one hour special while my Niconico aired them as two episodes, at least that's my guess.

Crunchyroll does have it as 2 separate episodes.
Jan 21, 2017 8:45 PM

Dec 2016
I am really enjoying this so far.

Pray for the bad guys, whenever Bahamut is summoned, bad things happen.
Jan 21, 2017 8:58 PM
Jul 2015
dont like terrible op and ending but too few characters seen the doujins and game i expect at least more characters but this just well childish is like seen racknarock the animation again

PD sorry for my bad english very bad anime only kids will like
Jan 21, 2017 9:18 PM

Feb 2014
That entire opening scene was kind of like a medieval steampunk version of the first Star Wars movie's beginning. A princess-type main female character trying to escape from the ship of an empire. The commander of the ship confronting them midway, complete with using a magical power to choke/control a character into submission. And then the scene ending with someone falling out of the ship onto the surface below.

But regardless, as cliche as the show's story seems to be, the episode was quite fun nonetheless, mostly due to the art and pretty detailed and fluid animation. Although, I doubt the quality will be this good during the rest of the series too.

Also, Gran is a lot older and competent than what dem doujins made him out to be.
Jan 22, 2017 12:31 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Not a bad start....It didn't captivate me like Chain Chronicle did but I am interested in where this is gonna go

The characters are okay and the art style has an old feel to it which I like a lot.....The plot is basic but as with Chain Chronicle, what matters to me is how they handle it

My only complaint would be that the animation isn't that good but there's room for improvement I suppose...Also, based BoC are back with another good OP :D
Jan 22, 2017 2:44 AM

Mar 2009
I feel like I underestimated the way the anime would go from the PVs... I actually liked this adaptation of the game, feels really neat to hear the exact same in-game music instead of rearrangements.
Jan 22, 2017 3:46 AM

Dec 2015
It was "okay" (3/5). Compared to Chain Chronicles (where I'd say 4/5 for most episodes) this is a lot worse. I like the char design a bit more but there are some things I don't like:

Super annoying little flying Lizard. The "boy + girl" thing which isn't in Chain Chronicles. Already feels like they might force some romance here between Lyria and Gran. The only cool char so far is Katalina. I'll watch that 2nd episode ... and then I might drop it already if they don't introduce other interesting chars.
Jan 22, 2017 6:34 AM

Jul 2013
For the moment it just look like your typical RPG setting fantasy series full of cliches, but I already expected that, so I don't have too problems with that. At least the animation was fluid.
Jan 22, 2017 6:55 AM

Nov 2011
Overall, not bad storytelling, there is a faint thread that binds all in fairly convincing facts, of all the achievements made in this episode, the only thing that surprises me is the death of Gram's character . The thing I liked the most, in addition to the opening is the mingling of the character designs and color designs, with a touch of originality and fairytale. Very catchy the opening, a little less than the ending.
terrablu2003Jan 22, 2017 7:05 AM
Jan 22, 2017 4:32 PM

Jan 2013
Let's just say a tutorial episode. hahaha back being a newbie.
Jan 22, 2017 5:44 PM

Jun 2015
Pretty generic start, but it was still entertaining. We got the damsel in distress paired with her strong female bodyguard counterpart, damsel meets heroine, and they embark on an adventure together, all the while some dark plot is going on underneath that we don't know about just yet. THats what I got from this episode lol. On the other hand the animation was fluid, bright, and the color palette is really gorgeous!! OST is nice too. Love the Bump of Chicken OP, too. I'm wondering how long it will be (probably a two-cour, right?), and I also think it's interesting that the two episodes that were released were considered as preview episodes for when it really starts up in the spring.

1st episode - 3/5 for good animation and music but sorta generic plot (it's only one episode so I can't rly judge a book by its cover)
Jan 23, 2017 3:07 AM

May 2009
Now I remember why I skipped most of the stories, and cant remember much of it. At least we have Bump for opening theme, good as always.
Jan 23, 2017 3:49 AM

Aug 2013
Dropped at 9:30. Generic "the main chara is OP and protects the girl with bullsh*t sword arts"
Jan 23, 2017 9:06 AM
Oct 2007
Style of the show reminds me slightly of Hai to Gensou no Grimgar.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2017 9:47 AM

Jul 2016
I watched this right after I played Skyrim lol.
Jan 23, 2017 12:22 PM

Mar 2016
Ierakas said:

Too bad the dragons aren't as badass looking as Alduin lol

Overall, it looks like a typical fantasy start, but it was enjoyable to say the least . background scenes remind of Grimgar too. Oh, and that little familiar is cute lol
Jan 23, 2017 6:52 PM

Jan 2013
Nice beginning, the art is a little sharp in the borders (at least that's what i think).
That girl reminds me of Asuna xD And that pet's voice is 100% voice of Happy from Fairy Tail! No doubts.
So Gran now has Lyria's power. That Bahamut looks epic.
Katalina is so OP!!!
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jan 24, 2017 5:24 AM

Jul 2016
DragonSlayer_19 said:
Ierakas said:

Too bad the dragons aren't as badass looking as Alduin lol

Yeah, and Alduin can devour the world lol, such a badass power too lol.
Jan 24, 2017 8:47 AM
Jan 2016
wwow!another cliche anime can't get enough from this
Jan 24, 2017 11:29 AM

Aug 2015
After playing every fucking loli of existence, ms. Rie decided to do every fucking animal mascot and alien thingies... great.
"Vaut mieux se suffire à soi que finir assoiffé dans le monde des apparences."

Jan 24, 2017 12:39 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Well I'll give this show one thing, it sure does look nice. The animation is very solid, and I don't mind the art style at all.

Funnily enough, I actually decided to try out the game a few weeks ago just to see what the hubbub was about. So I knew exactly what was going to happen this episode. The game is a pain in the ass to get on English devices, plus I didn't really understand all the mechanics. It also feels like a pay to win game. So I stopped playing after the tutorial. But I am somewhat interested in the story to see where it goes; despite it hitting every cliche imaginable.

Basically I'm just here to see the short red haired ox girl.
Jan 25, 2017 3:41 AM
Mar 2012
bit boring compared to Chain chronicles, but more normal designs. Black rose dress grill nice design. Nice songs for op/ed.
orange pink sword art skills lol
Story smells like Comet Lucifer + the trope where dead mc gets revived by mystery girl (also akibastrip). Lol Touyama sounds like Yuigahama here, & Miyuki sounds cool as always, with that water rapier.
Grainy line work & art is nice. Fights were fine but has lots of shounen greetings, pause, trashtalk, fight but don't use arrows till it's too late.
Pom pom has a mandress and says
hail hydra
gophercgJan 25, 2017 4:09 AM
Jan 27, 2017 3:13 AM
Jun 2016
Although I did not watch this yet. I really like Bump of Chicken! Really good opening song!
Jan 28, 2017 7:55 PM

Sep 2013
So... Kid kills soldiers barely knowing the story behind the girl who fell from sky. Then said girl revives him and gives him destructive (?) power and together they invoke fucking Bahamut... all this in a span of 20min of knowing each other?

Uh... no thanks?

Maybe when it's completed or truly airing I can give it another shot. Not a good first impression, but there's still hope, I guess.
WintoviskyJan 28, 2017 7:59 PM
Jan 29, 2017 3:00 PM

May 2016
I don't know what im feeling after watching first episode. I think i need to watch another episode and then i will have my answer.
Jan 30, 2017 10:14 AM

Sep 2014
no Djeeta 1/10 shit episode
Opening was pretty cool.
It was okai I guess, pretty generic.
Didn't expect to see DJeeta with glasses at the end, looks nice :O
Feb 2, 2017 11:58 AM

Mar 2011
Not a fan of the opening. I like the art in general, but the art style feels grainy to me. Sometimes it feels crisp but most of the time especially around characters it feels different. Animation is decent nothing mindblowing.

I really hope at least to see cameos of the non storyline characters. No Djeeta in the actual episode sad days
Feb 9, 2017 8:57 AM

May 2013
I like the visuals it's unique and gorgeous. It's best watched in 1080p or higher.
The plot style is classical not cliche.
Mar 1, 2017 10:33 AM

Jul 2009
I love Katalina already...she will be the reason why I will watch this.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Granblue Fantasy The Animation Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2017

54 by Fate_warrior95 »»
Apr 20, 12:10 AM

Poll: » Granblue Fantasy The Animation Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 13, 2017

42 by ArtemisMeiko »»
Jan 27, 1:25 AM

Poll: » Granblue Fantasy The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Pipe - Jun 24, 2017

195 by Nihilna »»
Dec 29, 2023 8:18 PM

Poll: » Granblue Fantasy The Animation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2017

88 by Alvie48xi »»
Mar 4, 2023 5:40 AM

Poll: » Granblue Fantasy The Animation Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2017

35 by Alvie48xi »»
Mar 4, 2023 2:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.