Forum Settings
Forums

Crying while watching an anime that isn't a "feels" anime

New
Dec 25, 2016 8:25 AM

Nov 2016
If someone where to ask if an anime ever made them cry they would probably answer with yeah Anohana, Clannad, Angel Beats, etc made them cry. But I've seen them all, I felt the "feels" but didn't shed a single tear, but when I saw Rock Lee and Gara fight in Naruto I cried a lot. Lee being born without the ability to use any ninjutsu and genjustu poured his heart, blood, tears, sweat, and soul into mastering taijutsu but he had to face the cold and sadistic natural genius Gara and to top all off he had the 1 tailed beast. Watching Lee struggle in that fight was inspirational, it was so different from the random slug fest I've came to know in anime. Watching natural talent and spirit go head to head was just amazing.

Have you guys cried during an anime that isn't Clannad, Angel Beats, Anohana, etc? If you did why?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 25, 2016 8:35 AM

Nov 2011
inb4 "Clannad, Angel Beats, Anohana are force feel shit"

OT
Have you guys cried during an anime that isn't Clannad, Angel Beats, Anohana, etc? If you did why?

Cry.. Hmm maybe, a few tears were dropping but that was it. why? Because it gave me feels.
Dec 25, 2016 8:46 AM

Oct 2016
I used to cry a lot while watching One Piece and its not because of quality of animation.
Dec 25, 2016 9:05 AM

Dec 2016
I won't give any specific examples since there's honestly too many, although what I will say is that I definitely do understand you, and it happens to me all the time. For me anyways I think it has to do with showings of human spirit prevailing against tragic odds, or when a character gathers resolve after some sort of terrible event or news, etc. When an anime is intentionally putting emotionally-focused scenes right up in your face, that usually doesn't move me nearly as much as when the emotional aspect of a scene is not actually visibly focused on but rather buried a bit beneath the surface I guess... definitely not my best explanation but that's the best way I could put it into words :P
Dec 25, 2016 9:07 AM

Sep 2016
Just because someone cried when a character died doesn't mean I gotta cry aswell. If you didn't cry at Anohana, Angel Beats etc it doesn't mean you're a special snowflake and it doesn't mean these shows are "feels" anime too.
And ofc I shed some tears while watching other animes. Probably because the story touched me, I was happy or just out of excitement... or because I wanted something bad to happen to someone and when it did I couldn't contain myself and cried out of joy.
Dec 25, 2016 9:09 AM
Sep 2016
So many manly tears the first time i've seen this

Dec 25, 2016 9:10 AM

Apr 2016
I didn't cried at Anohana or Angel Beats, but Lion King got me hard...
Dec 25, 2016 9:14 AM

Sep 2012
LoNNoL said:
inb4 "Clannad, Angel Beats, Anohana are force feel shit"

OT

Cry.. Hmm maybe, a few tears were dropping but that was it. why? Because it gave me feels.

Yay I came.So yes let me say again.
"Clannad, Angel Beats, Anohana are drama-queens of anime.

But the big new is you don't have to cry to feel sad.Yea I know...It's shocking but it works like that too.
Dec 25, 2016 9:17 AM

Jan 2010
*eyes simple listing posts*

Anyways, there are two particular moments that always get to me. Well, maybe three. Every time I rewatch Gunbuster and Diebuster, anytime the Gunbuster March plays, I always lose it. I don't typically use the word epic a lot, if not at all, but I'd attach that word to the mirrored scenes in each of their episode 4 climaxes. There's a scale in presentation, presence and expression that I feel is really difficult to replicate or recapture. At least, until the Gurren Lagann, Lagann-hen. That last fight that was added as new content. It took the scale of the Gunbuster series, elevated it to the edges of imagination and beyond. It really makes me feel like a kid again, getting excited over absurdly huge explosions.
Dec 25, 2016 9:20 AM

Feb 2015
Dude why would I cry when I watch something when I can cry at how pathetic my life is?

Don't worry guys, my HS life ain't gonna end until it got a(n) anime adaptation....xD
Dec 25, 2016 9:22 AM
Jul 2018
watching zero no tsukaima brought me to tears...

Well for serious answer mushishi, this anime made me cry a lot, not really because it was sad tho.
Dec 25, 2016 9:29 AM

Sep 2015
As long as you did not cry out of the remorse after spending your time to no avail for infuriatingly bad anime, then it's perfectly fine. Just cry to your heart content for whatever reasons except that.
UpperCatDec 25, 2016 10:21 AM

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Dec 25, 2016 9:30 AM
Mar 2016
There are more anime I dropped than the tears I dropped from watching an anime. Many the tears I dropped are a bit forced because I thought I can enjoy those anime more when I cry. And the other tears I dropped are because the anime makes me remember my failures, so unrelated to anime. (Though I'll pick the anime I dropped later in life because I'm a completionist)
The situation you described may not be from a feels anime but the way you described it makes it seem like a feels situation.
OT: No, I didn't.
kamisama751 said:
The "feels" moments in those anime you mentioned are so illogical I cringe instead.
I don't really get into the "feels" of AnoHana and Angel Beats but I didn't see illogical things whenever I watched a piece of those feels.
crx07Dec 25, 2016 9:33 AM
Dec 25, 2016 9:34 AM

May 2015
I don't know what it takes to be classified as a feels anime in the first place.

As for your answer, no I don't cry for anime. That doesn't mean an anime can't fucking wreck me and make me feel like crying, but I just don't really cry a lot. If Hotarubi no Mori E can't make me shed physical tears, nothing except stubbing my toe can.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Dec 25, 2016 9:58 AM

Feb 2010
idk, that classification seems arbitrary and shite.

I've cried for sports anime, battle shounen and action shows as well as Clannad (still a bad anime, but that one episode was good feels bait) or AnoHana (found it much more relatable than all that key stuff people tend to group it together with).

I always enjoy it when a show manages to make me cry but it's more related to individual situations than the kind of anime it is. I tend to cry not as much for utterly depressing events but more for these moments of empathy when the character has some drastic realization or their world suddenly shifts by 180°. It can be heartwrenching or heartwarming but I usually need some catalyst scene, just putting a depressing situation or event in front of me will not make me cry, it will just make me feel depressed which is a different thing.
I'm also a sucker for redemption, charaters who did bad things genuinely realizing the error of their ways, that kind of stuff.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 25, 2016 10:04 AM

Oct 2014
the supposedly feels anime are far from a group of drama masterpieces where there is no way to not cry when watching them actually there are so many elements in most of those that can turn people off from their drama that i am surprised they even got that fame
i actually never cry when watching anime but i have watched several shows that i though presented way better drama through the years
gabrielrroizDec 25, 2016 10:29 AM
Dec 25, 2016 10:13 AM

Jul 2013
I would just say JoJo made me shed more tears than supposed dramas like Erased.
Dec 25, 2016 10:26 AM

Jul 2016
I cried at the ending of Ergo Proxy. It wasn't a tear jerking anime, but I felt so sad that this is over and everything is about to end. It was a first series that got me so much.
Dec 25, 2016 10:43 AM

Jul 2016
A lot of animes are like that actually and it's a good thing. That means the characters are so likeable that you can't help it if you care about them. Stuff like Anohana is sad because it's relatable and you can imagine yourself in that position. I felt sorry for a lot of Gintama characters in multiple story arcs and it's a parody series. It's probably because I care about the majority of Gintama characters.
Dec 25, 2016 10:51 AM

Feb 2016
RagingDominican said:

Jojo's bizarre adventure (2012),part 2
When Caesar fought Wham

Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by, water flowing underground
Into the blue again after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground

(✿◕ᴗ◕)人(◕ᴗ◕✿)

Dec 25, 2016 11:05 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Mirai Nikki. May seem like an odd choice to shed tears over, but there were a couple of times that I really couldn't help but shed some tears.

Not sure if it would count as a feels anime, but the ending to Wolf Children got me pretty good.

"𝚃𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚖𝚒𝚡 𝚍𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚔𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚜."
☆ 𝙰𝚗𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝙻𝚒𝚜𝚝 ☆
☆ 𝚅𝙽𝙳𝚋 ☆
☆ 𝙱𝚊𝚌𝚔𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚢 ☆
Dec 25, 2016 11:07 AM

Jun 2015
I didn't cried at Angel Beats (but yeah of course it was sad) and I don't remember if I cried at Clannad or Anohana (but I remember being really touched by it)

I always cry without even understanding why at the most random moments ever...Like at the end of the second season of Bakuman I was all teary and said "they worked so much ..." it was really awkward

Same with the speech at the end of Sakurasou no Pet no Kanojo, I don't why it got me so hard
Dec 25, 2016 11:26 AM

Feb 2016
I can never hold my tears back no matter how many times I watch Cowboy Bebop ending, TTGL Kittan's death and the dream sequence, and Gunbuster's final episode.
Dec 25, 2016 11:34 AM

Dec 2013
@Shocked - I second the Gunbuster/Diebuster nod. The ending wrap-up was really good, especially given how different the two shows were.

And call me crazy but the paddle skip in the finale of Ping Pong. Maybe it's the former athlete factor, idk but damn...

House of Small Cubes and Father and Daughter too. Highest 'feels'/time ratio I've ever seen.
DouluoDec 25, 2016 11:38 AM
Dec 25, 2016 11:39 AM

Apr 2011
I cried to Ano Hana and Angel Beats because they sucked so much I wanted to rip my eyes out.
Dec 25, 2016 11:40 AM

Jan 2015
RagingDominican said:
If someone where to ask if an anime ever made them cry they would probably answer with yeah Anohana, Clannad, Angel Beats, etc made them cry. But I've seen them all, I felt the "feels" but didn't shed a single tear, but when I saw Rock Lee and Gara fight in Naruto I cried a lot. Lee being born without the ability to use any ninjutsu and genjustu poured his heart, blood, tears, sweat, and soul into mastering taijutsu but he had to face the cold and sadistic natural genius Gara and to top all off he had the 1 tailed beast. Watching Lee struggle in that fight was inspirational, it was so different from the random slug fest I've came to know in anime. Watching natural talent and spirit go head to head was just amazing.

Yea I cried to DBZ :3
When Vegeta starts crying you can't stop crying yourself TwT
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Dec 25, 2016 11:46 AM

Aug 2013
MohitVermillionDec 25, 2016 12:01 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 25, 2016 11:52 AM

Nov 2016
I shed one or another tear of joy over some sports anime like Hajime no Ippo, Kuroko no Basket or Haikyuu!!.

It made me really happy to see how the protagonists overcome an overhelming enemy through hard work and team spirit.

Edit: Got to add K-On!! and Aria to that.
FMmatronFeb 11, 2018 4:35 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 25, 2016 11:59 AM

Jun 2011
Crying during anime that like isn't force feels like Grave of the Fireflies?

Yup. Like Yuri on Ice. Episode 10. I cried for 5 hours. That was longer than I cried for anything sad in an anime. I had to be "intimate" with my real life husband... yes I have one, in order to stop shaking and crying because I realized finally why I was crying so badly. It was seriously just... that romantic... I had that much feels about
Energetic-NovaDec 25, 2016 12:03 PM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Dec 25, 2016 12:00 PM

Jul 2014
u dont have to cry at every single "feels" anime....not everyone is that emotional
Dec 25, 2016 12:10 PM

Jun 2015
I cried at those and these aren't really feels but anyway:

In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Dec 25, 2016 12:26 PM

Mar 2016
I didn't cry watching Anohana, Angel Beats, and Clannad. But I cried when Obito and Itachi reveals the truth to sasuke in manga.
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Dec 25, 2016 12:32 PM

Oct 2014
Illyricus said:
I would just say JoJo made me shed more tears than supposed dramas like Erased.

Erased is a comedy masterpiece of course
The roof scene at the ending was the most hilarious anime moment of the year
Dec 25, 2016 12:49 PM
Dec 2015
This happens all the time. We don't cry just because sad things happen to good people. If I don't care about the characters on screen, nothing that happens to them will get an emotion out of me. This is why Angel Beats didn't do anything for me drama-wise (comedy was great though), while Clannad, Shigatsu, and Anohana did.

Non-feels anime which made me cry include Shirobako, Gurren Lagann, and Silver Spoon. K-ON broke me down completely a few times too, and it was as emotional for me as Clannad during the emotional climaxes towards the end.
Dec 25, 2016 12:59 PM
Aug 2015
Shocked said:
*eyes simple listing posts*

Why aren't you locking simple listing threads? Is this a Christmas gift?
Dec 25, 2016 12:59 PM

Oct 2016
Code Geass got me pretty hard. Probably just as hard as anything tbh. In fact I'll say this over and over again. Code Geass had more feels moments than Clannad/After story did.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 25, 2016 1:05 PM
Dec 2016
Himouto! Umaru chan😂😂😂😂😂
Dec 25, 2016 1:17 PM

Dec 2016
Claymore had me crying.

Not for the right reasons though.
Dec 25, 2016 4:35 PM

May 2015
might be tears come more easily when the scene is closely relatable to yourself
don't know though, think I never cried on a tv show

Dec 25, 2016 11:28 PM

Mar 2012
Kyo Kara Maoh has given me the feels many times even though it's main genre is supposed to be comedy and I literally did cry the first time I watched ep 40 and the final episode of season 2, I was like 12 or 13 at the time. Even the Caloria arc was really heart breaking.
Dec 25, 2016 11:36 PM

Jul 2015
To be honest I cried or had more of the Feels from anime with characters and plot I actually cared about like Gintama,Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Rainbow, Hunter x Hunter and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure than "Feels" anime that is just there for "feels" as people would call it
Sup...
Dec 26, 2016 2:47 AM

Feb 2016
Haikyuu!!! Season 3 i cried not because i feel down though...

Dec 26, 2016 3:32 AM

Apr 2015
The last two episodes of Sailor Moon's first season had me crying. And then that crying was replaced by rage when Deus Ex Machina happened just for later seasons to happen.

Madoka Magica itself never made me cry, but Rebellion had me breaking down in joyful yet painful tears at various moments.

Upon a second re-watch of Serial Experiements Lain, I did feel a bit melancholic during the final episode, but I wasn't moved to tears by any means.

Neon Genesis Evangelion/End of Evangelion also didn't make me cry, but the emotional turmoil that they caused is to be noted.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Dec 26, 2016 6:11 AM

Mar 2014
I cri every time when go near anime at all...

On a real note I guess Tokyo magnitude 0.8 always got me with the shocker
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Dec 26, 2016 6:38 AM

Jul 2015
I cry very easily, so yes. Yona of the Dawn, Shinsekai Yori, Code Geass, Parasyte, Mawaru Penguindrum, Gakkougurashi, Gunbuster... you name it. I've probably shed a tear. Or two. Or twenty.
Dec 26, 2016 6:41 AM

Apr 2015
I only cried once in watchibg anime which is Shiki so, maybe yes? Fate/Zero second season also got me too though.
Dec 26, 2016 6:54 AM

Aug 2015
Those animes are feely.. but it only last for around a week for me and it didn't make me cry..
I started tearing up mhen i watch a few last episode of Ansatsu Kyoushitsu S2. Though it didn't make me cry, the feels impact it gave me last for a whole month T^T
And you know what? Is there anyone here cried when a ship was burned? No? Well i do..

Damn you Eichiro Oda and your masterpiece T^T

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Dec 26, 2016 7:02 AM

Dec 2014
I cried with k-on, digimon tri and gakkogurashi.

So... xd
Dec 26, 2016 7:06 AM

Apr 2015
Well, recently I cried in Kuroko no Basket's 3d season and in Durarara. I had also cried in some feels shows like shigatsu wa kimi no uso, steins;gate, anohana, parasyte. Oh and in Dragon Ball which was my 1st anime. loool
Dec 26, 2016 7:10 AM

Aug 2016
Is it weird I cried at Kekkai Sensen? Yeah just me, probably because I can relate to them alot lol and I was probably feeling down at the time of watching. I was about to say Natsume Yuujinchou but then I guess that counts as a feels anime.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why do so many people still shove anime through interpolaiton AI? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - May 19

67 by TransferUser »»
9 seconds ago

Poll: » Which of the big 3 do you think has the best music?

Akuya - 11 hours ago

16 by Zettaiken »»
2 minutes ago

» Lifespan of an Anime fan? ( 1 2 )

Ex-Aid - Yesterday

73 by Dumb »»
3 minutes ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect.

Gashadokur0 - 12 hours ago

43 by Zettaiken »»
5 minutes ago

» Yearly reminder that Lenalee Lee reinvented battle shounen girls

Catalano - Yesterday

16 by Ex-Aid »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.