Forum Settings
Forums

How do you feel about manga/anime with no or little high school setting?

New
Dec 23, 2016 4:46 AM
Nov 2014
Hello there,

Seeing this years and the previous' lineups, as well the upcoming years' and anime/manga in general, one can't help but notice the prevalence of the school theme in LNs, visual novels, manga... and anything similar.

This topic does NOT aim at explaining why, since at this point it's pretty common knowledge (the Japanese think of school as quiet, good times, easy to make a characetr's schedule, easy to identify with them and many other reasons)
but instead I'd like to know how you feel about a manga, anime, light or visual novel... without the main heroes being middle/high school students or with the school setting present but kinda in the background (like a seinen with the focus on college graduates and secondary high schooler characters)

I created a poll, but you're very welcome to elaborate on your answers. Thank you very much.

My own opinion is that I have read those kind of manga, watched those kind of anime and they're among my favourites, though I'll first judge a story by its quality and then by whether it has or has not high schoolers involved. However recently I've been trying to find more manga, anime, light novels... with no high schooler characters and overall in settings that are not modern day and/or westernized civilization.

Again, thanks for your replies, have a great day.

AidamisDec 23, 2016 10:04 AM
Dec 23, 2016 9:58 AM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime/Manga Recommendations

Well, at this point, I've actually seen a number of anime that have occurred outside of a school setting, so much so that they've actually featured not just adult, but elderly main characters being fully engaged with the plot. They're certainly refreshing asides to the stuff oriented towards teenagers and young adults reminiscing about the days in school. I don't have a preference for shows set within our outside the walls of schools, especially since a number of my favorite titles do feature schools as integral parts of their plot as opposed to just a simple set piece, but I do take notice of shows that break out of that boundary though.
Dec 23, 2016 12:54 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
I like to see young anime girls in skirts, and school uniforms are cute
Dec 23, 2016 1:14 PM

Jul 2012
At least according to MALgraph, School is my highest rated Genre using weighted scores although I personally I would say I prefer fantasy settings that are done well.
But generally speaking I can't say I have strong feelings towards different settings one way or the other since they tend to be pretty hit or miss, much like how I don't care about the ages of characters unless it's notably out of the ordinary.
Dec 23, 2016 1:26 PM

Aug 2014
Honestly it might be the case that the majority of the stuff I've watched isn't set in high school.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Dec 23, 2016 1:34 PM
Sep 2016
I'd rather like a fantasy world or an adult background than the generic high school setup.
Even if the generic high school setup doesn't bother me.
Being different/original is just a starting bonus.
Dec 23, 2016 1:50 PM

Jan 2015
I love when an anime doesn't have a high school setting.
Dec 23, 2016 1:56 PM

Jul 2016
If it doesn't have a high school setting, it needs lots of girls some other way.
Dec 23, 2016 1:59 PM

Oct 2014
are people really so close minded they would denie to watch every anime that is not based on a school setting?
is this really true?
Dec 23, 2016 1:59 PM
Mar 2015
I love them.
I usually avoid manga with high school settings because for some reason I just can't take them seriously I know it is wrong but I just think of the characters as immature kids most of the time.
Dec 23, 2016 2:23 PM

Jan 2009
I don't really care either way, but I do think it's an overused setting

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Dec 23, 2016 2:30 PM

Jul 2015
I don't care, if it's good it's good, if it's bad it's bad
Sup...
Dec 23, 2016 2:30 PM
Nov 2014
GamerDLM said:
At least according to MALgraph, School is my highest rated Genre using weighted scores although I personally I would say I prefer fantasy settings that are done well.
But generally speaking I can't say I have strong feelings towards different settings one way or the other since they tend to be pretty hit or miss, much like how I don't care about the ages of characters unless it's notably out of the ordinary.

Agreed on the fantasy settings, it's the first thing I look for as of late when checking out new and old anime

CheerioPlebs said:
I'd rather like a fantasy world or an adult background than the generic high school setup.
Even if the generic high school setup doesn't bother me.
Being different/original is just a starting bonus.

The "generic" is the main problem here. Yes, fantasy realms feel refreshing, same as a settign where the protag is a working adult, or a child forced by circumstances to perform work generally considered "adult"

Thanks for your answers!
Dec 23, 2016 2:35 PM
Nov 2014
gabrielrroiz said:
are people really so close minded they would denie to watch every anime that is not based on a school setting?
is this really true?

I hope they aren't and I'll never advocate for such form of conduct. That variant of poll reply sounds perhaps a bit extreme.
I merely thought that there could be anime fans out there who by some coincidence only ever watched anime with a high school setting, for example shojo fans. I'm not judging them by the way, just making a hypothesis that they might exist.
If I was a newbie who only watched School Rumble, Ouran and Negima so far, I have yet to watch an anime without the high school setting.
Thanks for bringing up your remark, it's a good point.
Dec 23, 2016 2:53 PM

Jun 2015
It doesn't really matter to me if it is set in a school or not.
:)
Dec 23, 2016 3:49 PM

Sep 2015
I don't feel much about it but girls in skirts are a treat to watch.
Dec 23, 2016 3:55 PM

Feb 2013
anime with no high school girls might as well not exist
Dec 23, 2016 3:57 PM

Feb 2016
WDTFS is my favorite manhwa and I like the fact that it has no school setting. It's about adults which I find very pleasing. Too bad that all Yuri mangas focus on school girls.
Dec 23, 2016 8:33 PM
Sep 2015
Fuck High-Schools in Anime, anything without a high school in it has a %50 chance of being above average.
Dec 23, 2016 8:36 PM
Jul 2018
I've seen so many that its ingrained into me. As long as the show is good, it doesn't matter.

Though, it can get a bit tiring.
Dec 23, 2016 8:46 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
As someone who hasn't been in high school in a very long time now and got into anime mainly for fantasy and sci-fi and I am more than happy to watch shows that don't take place in a high (or any) school setting. Shows in a school settings can still be great but that isn't what makes me interested in a show or not.
Dec 23, 2016 8:49 PM

Feb 2015
Wait OP, my High school life hasn't been turned into anime. If it does, it will enlighten the hell out of you.
Dec 23, 2016 11:29 PM

Mar 2016
I tend to like anime with workplace setting more than anime with high school setting..as long as the story are good I don't mind to like both of them.
Forum set made by Sereshay

Dec 24, 2016 10:49 AM
Nov 2014
_Ako_ said:
Wait OP, my High school life hasn't been turned into anime. If it does, it will enlighten the hell out of you.

Looking forward to Ako no Monogatari =)
Dec 24, 2016 10:50 AM
Nov 2014
Merry Christmas, people, thanks for replying !!!
Dec 24, 2016 11:16 AM

Jul 2014
It gives it a more special atmosphere to the manga..rather than it being set in the past medieval times or futuristic future shit...
Dec 24, 2016 1:01 PM

Apr 2016
I'm not the type of guy who actievly avoids school settings, but it can be annoying at times, because of how overused it is. Some anime did it right, like Higurashi, you had multiple settings which were all fine, and yet it never was boring.
On the other hand, Code Geass that uses its school setting even in war, because that's what you do if you want to conquer the world, hiding in your school.

OT: A school setting is just easy to relate to and it has some structure in it and on top of that, you already have a huge base of characters who can be introduced with little to no trouble. Clannad and Toradora are great examples.
Dec 24, 2016 1:15 PM

Jan 2009
i like them since the only major complain i have with anime is the huge amount of school settings in it
Dec 24, 2016 1:24 PM

Apr 2011
A setting that's not situated in a highschool is always refreshing.
Dec 24, 2016 1:42 PM

May 2015
Most of the shows I like are outside of the high school setting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 24, 2016 1:58 PM
Dec 2015
As you said, I'll judge a show on everything else before it's setting originality. However, it is a nice change of pace to get an anime outside of high school every once in a while. I also feel it's more important to make your setting feel alive than it is to make it different only in practice.

Golden Time was set in college, but it wouldn't have changed all that much with a high school setting. Nothing made the school in that show stand out to get me attached to it, nor did the plot seem to use the different type of schedule involved with College than High School. Manabí Straight's high school on the other hand had unique customs and we could feel a sense of community in that school.

Sound of the Sky is an amazing character driven SoL series with a CGDCT aesthetic. However, it has one of the most unique and interesting settings I've seen, especially for a cute girls show. It takes place in a post-apocalyptic earth which was ravaged by a war, which was only stopped due to a non-aggression pact. The world is confirmed to be uninhabitable by humans in the near future, and the characters in that show are just trying to live their lives while they can. Most of the events happen around the 1121'st platoon for the military. This could have easily been turned into a forgettable setting which could have been replaced with a school. Thankfully, it wasn't because the world felt alive. There was lore and culture that related to the lore, with festivals and customs that made the town feel like a living entity. The different places that were explored reflected both the culture and lore of the world, and also conveyed the sense of emptiness from the post-apocalyptic setting. Battlefields looked ravaged from fighting, and it was clear that no plant would be able to survive in the conditions presented. One couldn't replace this setting with anything else and have the same result, unlike in Golden Time where changing it would have been exactly the same.
Dec 24, 2016 3:05 PM

Nov 2016
Tbh, I hate high school settings (if it isn't a comedy anime that is) because it they usually end up having loads of irritating fillers that often don't even develop the characters like they're suppose to.
Dec 24, 2016 3:13 PM
Jul 2018
It's not a good thing for the medium but sometimes you just have to have a high school, you know?
Dec 24, 2016 3:17 PM

Oct 2016
gabrielrroiz said:
is this really true?

Yes, because the vast majority of hardcore anime fans get little to no pussy whatsoever. It leads them to be extremely creepy and lose interest in actual women and worship cartoon girls out of hatred of the real world.

It isn't any surprise weebs fantasize about fucking cartoon girls that look like 11 year old children.
Dec 24, 2016 3:18 PM

Apr 2014
I've seen a fair share of shows with no high school setting so I don't mind it. I find them to be quite interesting to be honest (EX: Black Butler, Spice and Wolf, Saint Oniisan, Senyuu, Hetalia, Yuri on Ice, and Sekaiichi Hatsukoi).
TobiOrNotTobiDec 24, 2016 4:28 PM
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
Dec 24, 2016 3:24 PM

Sep 2009
High school is such a stupidly common setting, it often gets forced into the plot. We're much better off without it.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 24, 2016 4:21 PM

Oct 2014
Nibs- said:
gabrielrroiz said:
is this really true?

Yes, because the vast majority of hardcore anime fans get little to no pussy whatsoever. It leads them to be extremely creepy and lose interest in actual women and worship cartoon girls out of hatred of the real world.

It isn't any surprise weebs fantasize about fucking cartoon girls that look like 11 year old children.

Introvert virgins having this sort of sexual fantasies is a normal and to some extent a healthy thing forcing people to experience their reality in its full form can really lead someone to despair about his life
The issue with media is the excess it becoming a replacement of reality
Dec 24, 2016 4:27 PM

Apr 2011
I have began to actively avoid anime that are set within a school. I bear no relation to this whatsoever and I cannot imagine myself in a similar environment anymore, seeing as I have grown out of that age and during the time where I was actually in school, I experienced something similar to hell.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Dec 24, 2016 5:58 PM

Dec 2015
I don't mind if its been in a high school setting although its hard to relate to the kid drama, since I'm almost 30 now and haven't been in high school in a long time. So sometimes it is fresh to see an anime not in the school setting or at least college setting, but I won't discount it because it has a school setting.
Dec 24, 2016 6:15 PM

Feb 2016
I enjoy them. The same very common setting time and time again tends to get rather dull for me overtime, even with all the differentials between them.

I'd prefer it not being a high school setting, but it's fine if it is. Sometimes it's rather well placed and doesn't bother me as much as other high school based manga/animes/LNs. A few of my favorite animes are in HS settings.

Actually, my number one favorite is in a high school setting now that I think about it.The Irregular at Magic High School.

So it just all depends for me, but if it's just the typical orindary high school setting with the kids going to school, making friends, and dealing with their set of problems or whatever then it just gets dull eventually. Need some spice in there to keep things interesting.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Dec 24, 2016 10:49 PM

Nov 2009
Wow, this is one impressively uninformed poll.

There are two factors that drive the abundance of school anime. (I do not think that middle-school anime are meaningfully different)
1) Anime authors just use them unless there is a reason the setting should not be a school of some kind.
Mean people might say it's because they never been to any other workplace, and became authors straight out of school.
Just because you're in a fantasy world, doesn't mean the Wizards Academy can't be structured like a Japanese school, except cool, right?

2) Japanese love girls around this age. So even if the MCs are renegade soldiers in a fantasy world, they're going to be good-looking teenagers.
And I agree with that fully.

P.S. In my favorite anime, there is only one anime where characters are fully adults (New Dominion Tank Police).
In all the rest of them, main characters are teenagers.
And only First Squad does not feature any school in the background (Nadia's flashbacks go to a pioneer camp that resembles a military camp). But it's always just the background.
My favorite manga are more varied, but three out of 6 feature school prominently.

gabrielrroiz said:
is this really true?

No, I do not think people like that exist.
Dec 24, 2016 11:10 PM

Oct 2016
I prefer genres that are outside highschool setting. Actually, I just noticed that most of my favorites shows are more or less focused outside this overused environment.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Dec 24, 2016 11:14 PM

Mar 2016
I find them to be nice, but majority of anime made is shonen anime so a lot of anime will just have high school involved in some way.
Dec 25, 2016 11:55 PM

Nov 2016
im guessing 9/10ths of the anime ive watched so far has something school related. i sort of prefer non school related as it feels like a breath of fresh air to me.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Dec 25, 2016 11:59 PM
BL Connoisseur

Oct 2008
I freaking need them. Too many anime set in high school. While I mostly kind of like it, I REALLY WANT A NEW SETTING, JAPAN. I'm sure there are far more interesting things out there than people in uniforms doing shit revolving around school --'

I am forever your most devoted believer.

Dec 26, 2016 12:04 AM

May 2015
I don't care. It's just a setting. Some settings are better than others but overall, I haven't met a hopeless setting you can't work out to a great anime.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things

More topics from this board

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

14 by Ohayotaku »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

23 by Toooooooooohru »»
10 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

64 by LostSpectre »»
15 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 24

32 by Dauphine »»
17 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

8 by mizukasa »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.