Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 21, 2016 7:08 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Practicing and staying in a place close to the hall. Almost like a camping! And the four of them are playing cards! Reina, how far have you come?! And of course, Kumiko couldn't fall asleep. Shuuichi and Kumiko in the middle of the night! I was hoping for a lovers' quarrel but no, I can’t believe it went so smoothly. As the hairpin got triggered.

Just before the performance, first Mizore and then Asuka steps in towards Kumiko! That was so powerful if you can relate it to episode 13 of season 1! It shows how close she has become to the members of the band over this short period of time.

Intermission was Shuuichi! And as I readied my body, there was no performance! T_T

Reina actually confessed! And in public too! And everyone realized that Reina likes Taki-sensei but for him! Asuka learning her father's comment was a nice touch! Asuka's final speech was amazing as she riled up her kouhai to win the gold next year as they missed out this year!

But the most beautiful part was left for the last bit as Kumiko found her sister and ran towards her and telling her everything she bottled in inside of her. Even telling her how much she loves her as Mamiko replies saying she loves her too! With this, Kumiko's transformation is now complete. :')

5/5 despite showing us no performance this time around, because this episode has really concluded the anime and it did it gallantly. Thank you, Kyoto Animation.
shanimebibDec 21, 2016 7:35 AM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 21, 2016 7:15 AM

May 2009
/u/ is kill

Can't wait for OVA.
Dec 21, 2016 7:24 AM

Sep 2015
Oh. OH. Good job on the confession on Reina's part!

Everything's tying up real nicely. Kumiko's sister ended up coming to the performance and Asuka's dad recognized her playing. Glad to see some happy moments despite the lack of Gold.

Also, I love the president's retirement sobbingspeech. So cute.
Dec 21, 2016 7:26 AM

Nov 2011
The pressure's on! Looks like we got a little bit of final preparation before the Nationals officially begin.

So many schools at the Nationals though...it's going to be tough.

Yet at the same time, I do like how Kumiko and the others prepared for themselves. Really glad to see Asuka and everyone else on board with high spirit, even Asuka. I also kinda like that moment Kumiko had with her sister as well. Finale should be interesting.
Dec 21, 2016 7:52 AM

Nov 2007
bastek66 said:
/u/ is kill

Couldn't have captured a better screenshot from the episode.
Coronavirus.
Dec 21, 2016 8:09 AM

Sep 2013
So is our MC dating Shuuichi now? And no performance? Whut?

Well, I'm glad that it's over. Bye, See you crewmates in Kuzu no Honkai discussions.
Erika___Dec 21, 2016 8:21 AM
Dec 21, 2016 8:21 AM
Jul 2018
Hell yeah, I just logged in to taste the salt. Should be glorious, /a/ is also going mad. Last ep or if there are OVA(for vol 4) should have the final blow lol.

bastek66 said:
/u/ is kill

Can't wait for OVA.

And for the last ep too, for a particular scene. :P
Dec 21, 2016 9:00 AM

Nov 2007
Erika___ said:
So is our MC dating Shuuichi now? And no performance? Whut?

Well, I'm glad that it's over. Bye, See you crewmates in Kuzu no Honkai discussions.

Actually, see you in Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon discussions. Because I think you'll like it.
Coronavirus.
Dec 21, 2016 9:11 AM

Jun 2012
bastek66 said:
/u/ is kill

Can't wait for OVA.

Based as fuck.
Yurifags can gtfo now.
Dec 21, 2016 9:17 AM
Tabibito-kun
May 2013
Is this really the last episode? Cause it says on the main anime page that this show is 13 episodes?
Dec 21, 2016 9:21 AM

Nov 2009
Oh, look like they will have enough time to put some short stories from vol.4 into the final ep. next week.

Vol.4
Dec 21, 2016 9:32 AM

Sep 2010
shanimebib said:
As the hairpin got triggered.

bastek66 said:
/u/ is kill...Can't wait for OVA.

OH! It happened. I'm sad there was no performance since Kitauji worked hard, but it works better this way. I get the idea winning isn't that simple. The third-years also stepped down from the band too! ToT

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -a magnet
Dec 21, 2016 9:40 AM

Nov 2007
Azukano said:
Is this really the last episode? Cause it says on the main anime page that this show is 13 episodes?

Episode 13 is the epilogue of the entire anime.

My absolute favourite screenshot of the episode:

Mamiko is standing on the bridge and Kumiko just stopped few steps from the bridge. This could have been in any place. But no. Kyoto Animation decided to put the scene on a bridge. Two sisters, one who has started to cross the bridge and another is yet to start but is almost there. How they manage to think of such scenes leaves me at awe and appreciate their work more than any other studios.

No anime, absolutely no anime can match what Kyoto Animation can do with the surroundings, the place and the timing that make them stand head and shoulders above other studios when it comes to directing. :)
Coronavirus.
Dec 21, 2016 9:46 AM

Sep 2015
Good thing I stopped watching it, oh well, tho overall I wasn't enjoying the second season that much, too much drama and way too little music, it took them 5 episodes to play anything at all.

Yea, I'm a salty yuri fag or whatever. Stuff like a character that does less than a generic harem MC for 2 seasons and gets Kumiko really gets to me apparently.

Sorta unrelated. Just gonna go read Kobayashi san's manga, Kyoani already screwed up the artstyle enough for the anime.
Dec 21, 2016 9:57 AM

Sep 2015
After all those drama I didn't see the Nationals coming xD
Two seasons just finished here with the bronze, disappointing but it's more realistic I guess

can't wait for the last one !
Dec 21, 2016 10:03 AM
Sep 2014
ARamdomGamer said:
Good thing I stopped watching it, oh well, tho overall I wasn't enjoying the second season that much, too much drama and way too little music, it took them 5 episodes to play anything at all.

Yea, I'm a salty yuri fag or whatever. Stuff like a character that does less than a generic harem MC for 2 seasons and gets Kumiko really gets to me apparently.

Sorta unrelated. Just gonna go read Kobayashi san's manga, Kyoani already screwed up the artstyle enough for the anime.

Lol, "screwed" up the artstyle. That's funny.

Not sure if you were even actually watching this season as pretty much every episode had some kind of music being played even through all the drama, and TWO episodes with full music performances.

Looks like the yuri bait really got you too. Well, it was pretty good I'll have to admit.
Dec 21, 2016 10:21 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode, Kinda disappointed that there was no performance but great episode nonetheless.

Kumiko and Shuuichi's little conversation in the middle of the night was quite nice. Very nice gift he got her. :D
Kitauji! Fightooo! , I was so ready for another 10 minute performance but then there was none. T.T

Holy Shit, That Reina confession was pure awesome. Takes guts to do that in public let alone a concert hall, I mean sure everyone didn't consider it as a confession but still that was just epic. She even confessed to him again after that and he still didn't realize. XD Gambare Reina. XD It was nice of Taki to tell Reina that her words really meant a lot to him. :)

Lovely moment when Asuka learnt her dad praised her, couldn't stop smiling along with her. :D

Haruka couldn't stop crying at the farewell speech, I got a little emotional too. Asuka's speech was great. :)
One of my favorite shots in this episode was right after the speech with Shuichi smiling as Kumiko runs towards Mamiko, Very nice subtle shot showing how happy he was that Kumiko was finally going to face her sister straight. He's such a considerate guy, if only Kumiko looked his way more. XD

The sisters "Daisuki" moment was just beautiful, Nothing more to say than beautiful.
Lelouch0202Dec 21, 2016 10:25 AM
Dec 21, 2016 10:26 AM

Mar 2015
Such awkward fist bumping
Dec 21, 2016 10:26 AM

Aug 2015
Thank you, thank you Kyoto Animation for this beautiful anime.
I don't know how many times I dreamed that we would get to this scene between Kumiko and Shuuichi. The symbolism of the flower was kept and the hairpin was given.

Reina was able to make her declarations. I found this moment really beautiful and I hope she can later marry Taki-sensei.
They also lost to the national competition as in the novel.
Asuka was specially congratulated by her father and she seems very satisfied. After all, he left the "Sound! Euphonium" for her, so he wanted her to continue playing the euphonium and seems to be very proud of her daughter.
Finally the last scene, the one really touched me with this soundtrack that I like very much (the melody of the violin is soft and melancholic). Kumiko's declaration to her sister has a tear in my eyes. Kumiko, who usually hides her feelings, finally thanked her sister for having discovered the euphonium.
Overall the anime has well followed the novel.

I guess the next episode is the last one, probably the graduation ceremony.
We will certainly see again the scene we watched at the beginning of season 2.
(Under the snow, Kumiko holds a book of music scores?, she looks at it with a smile, Reina then calls her ...)

5/5
TuyNOMDec 21, 2016 10:32 AM
Dec 21, 2016 10:31 AM

May 2010
It 's funny to note that the hairpin accompanies Kumiko during the concert.

Dec 21, 2016 10:33 AM

Nov 2011
Man this episode got me a little bit. Reina...REINA confessing TWICE!!!! Oh man I was going crazy!!
Shuuichi and Kumiko sitting together was fantastic I loved it. Seems like The OVA is going to cover what most people do not want to see, however I want to see it!!!

Midori is underrated in this entire anime I feel, her positive attitude is what was needed in this situation and love her motivation to always strive for more.
shanimebib said:

My absolute favourite screenshot of the episode:

Mamiko is standing on the bridge and Kumiko just stopped few steps from the bridge. This could have been in any place. But no. Kyoto Animation decided to put the scene on a bridge. Two sisters, one who has started to cross the bridge and another is yet to start but is almost there. How they manage to think of such scenes leaves me at awe and appreciate their work more than any other studios.

No anime, absolutely no anime can match what Kyoto Animation can do with the surroundings, the place and the timing that make them stand head and shoulders above other studios when it comes to directing. :)

Great moment, 100% agree with you with the bridge situation. However my favorite moment will be this one.

Mizore is the last person I would suspect to fist pound before a concert, that raised her up even more in my book.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Dec 21, 2016 10:34 AM

Nov 2007
I hate Kyoani
but the scene with Kumiko and Mamiko was pretty nice
Dec 21, 2016 10:35 AM

Nov 2011
mangakam said:

Wow I didn't even notice that! That's awesome!!!
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Dec 21, 2016 10:36 AM
Jul 2014
Can't believe they actually skipped the performance after all that build up... wow. That's honestly disappointing.

At least the ending scene with Kumiko and her sister was well done. Also the scene with Asuka being acknowledged by her father was a nice touch.
Dec 21, 2016 10:37 AM

Aug 2015
mangakam said:

Yes, Ishihara likes to do things subtly. As for the book "Sound! Euphonium" which is the title of episode 9.
This is a sign that Shuuichi's gift is special to her. ^^
TuyNOMDec 21, 2016 10:41 AM
Dec 21, 2016 10:49 AM

Mar 2011
Well shit, our Shuuichi raised up! I loved it, specially with the gift, it was so pretty, and Kumiko was so happy.
lolwot

I was tearing up when Haruka started crying, and then Kumiko sees her sister and runs to her and told her all of that, I ended up crying.
I kinda understand why they didn't show the performance, they already showed it so since they would play the same, well...
Reina's confession tho, Taki kept taking it like Reina liked how he was as a teacher and not as person, poor her xD
Waiting for the last chapter!
Dec 21, 2016 10:52 AM

Jul 2012
Pretty good episode and the nationals as the conclusion which ended on the bronze note, deep inside believed in some miracle, but there should be the next year and one after that. Those fist-bumps from Yoroizuka were kinda wasted :(
I was always for the Shuichi-Kumiko pairing, but the way those moments were shown felt (a little) out of place and also this time, rather awkward ...
Such a nice ending scene with Kumiko and Mamiko. That Reina's confession, so bold but didn't go well =/
Didn't expect that they will get to the Nationals this season and that's why thought that it might be 2-cour, but now i think there's not much stuff/story that could've been added (well there's always something, but it would've been just dragging out). And i think that it was the right decision to put the performance part this time, well the music is always appreciated, but it would've been rather strange to watch the same part again (and to keep in mind that previous performance was amazing).
To the final episode, some original 4 characters interactions mb as the reminding how it all started.
Dec 21, 2016 10:55 AM

Feb 2008
When there were sudden were no performance my thought were already that they didn't get gold, well a guess they can continue show.
Nice on Mizore :D

Aww Kousaka confession to Taki-sensei but he didn't get that only thought as support.
Aww Poor Reina.
Yuuko were supporting.

I don't care for Shuuichi but he had a bit moment with Kumiko.
I guess you can call them close when Kumiko only act like that tower Shuuichi haha.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Dec 21, 2016 10:55 AM

Feb 2015
My ship has sailed. Yurifags on suicide watch.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 21, 2016 11:06 AM

Apr 2016
I laughed and cried. It's probably the best episode of this season.

I laughed out loud with Reina's confession, it was the best and worst timing ever. So cute!

I had a smile too before that with Kumiko, so mean with Shuuichi, but did I not see a bit of disappointment when Shuichi admitted that "Cupid" Midori was behind his choice which means he didn't know the meaning behind the "italian whites" (in reference to episode 7)? Midori with her gung-ho personnality was probably the best character of this episode (with Reina?)

And Asuka, I was really happy for her too. I was reading this week about divorce in Japan. It seems that in the worst case (if the mother simply doesn't want), the father is not allowed to see his children until they are adults. It looks like it's the case here.

All this leading to a perfect conclusion with the 2 sisters, with a tear, "dai suki" soooo beautifull!!!

The band not winning gold seems realistic and I had so many positive feelings with this episode that I don't care.

Great writing. Great direction. Great slice of life!
Dec 21, 2016 11:08 AM

Apr 2011
Ee??
There is no chance of a season 3??

Like with them trying to win gold next year?

And the last episode is just a recap or what? :-O
Dec 21, 2016 11:08 AM

Apr 2013
Kumiko x reina was always just a pipe dream and i didn't expext it. They would have made a genuienly nice pair with a slow build up over two season with the trigger being reina getting over her hopless crush for her teacher.

Decent episode.

Now for eupho to avoid turning into a complete trainwreck with the last episode and not shove kumiko x shuuichi down everyone's throat and kill any believability kumiko's character had
Dec 21, 2016 11:28 AM

Dec 2012
Great episode.

Nice moment with Shuuichi giving Kumiko her present.

Competition Time. Yuroizuka fistpump with Kumiko & Nozomi was cool.
Sad we didn't see the performance. Too bad Kitauji didn't get gold, but trying your best is all that counts.
You guy put in so much effort. They should be proud of making it this far.

OMG Reina confessing twice to Taki Sensei.

Farewell Third Years.
Sweet moment between Kumiko & Mamiko.

Final ep next week. Its been a wonderful season. Sad to see it go.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Dec 21, 2016 11:30 AM

Dec 2014
Kinda hoping the Kumiko x Shuuichi pairing won't happen... he really only shows up out of nowhere and adds really nothing to the overarching story.

Didn't expect them to get bronze... I was anticipating silver lol.

Reina's confessions were pretty gold-worthy, though. She definitely had guts.

Nice episode overall.
I need sleep.
Dec 21, 2016 11:31 AM
Aug 2015
Yay! After an annoying episode focused on Reina, we got a good episode with everybody! Shuuichi is the best guy (hairpin scene), Sapphire always curious about love lol (Reina's confession was funny), Asuka praised by her father, Mamiko and Kumiko scene on the bridge...
Hope the last episode will be good too, and with music. =)
Dec 21, 2016 11:32 AM

Aug 2013
Man, the feels be strong for this. I went from hating this series with the first season to loving it and enjoying every episode thanks to the second season. Hell of a lot of good writing as it turned out so I'm glad I went ahead and just ignored the yuribait bs and just enjoyed what I mainly came for out of it. The facial reactions and the final scene were all on point.
Don't believe the hype.
Dec 21, 2016 11:36 AM

Jun 2011
Hongu said:
I literally forgot who Shuichi was this season. Did he even have a single line of dialogue these past 12 episodes? It makes no sense to randomly just insert him in the story again after making him a non-character just to prevent the yuri ship. No I'm not a butthurt yurifag, I couldn't care less, but why do this out of nowhere with a character no one has seen for an entire goddamn season and expect us to think it's heartwarming and well done?

He was an important character during the Kumiko's sister drama. Were you even paying attention?

And to those who are disappointed about not seeing the performance, they're playing the exact same pieces from the last competition. It'd be a waste of time to repeat it.

Them not winning is to be expected given there were interruptions during their practices. Somehow, they all made it up with the het shipping.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Dec 21, 2016 11:42 AM

Nov 2011
nothing is better then sisters loving each other
Hate Keeps me warm
Dec 21, 2016 12:07 PM

Jul 2015
Asuka was so happy her father acknowledged her. :')
Dec 21, 2016 12:09 PM

Jun 2015
Does anyone know exactly how far in the light novel this season goes?

Also, this episode was giving me heart attacks
Grimgar season 2 please!!!!
Dec 21, 2016 12:12 PM

Sep 2010
Tamtsumaki said:
I kinda understand why they didn't show the performance, they already showed it so since they would play the same, well...

Ahegyao said:
And to those who are disappointed about not seeing the performance, they're playing the exact same pieces from the last competition. It'd be a waste of time to repeat it.

Thank you! I didn't think that before. XD

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -a magnet
Dec 21, 2016 12:17 PM

Sep 2016
man, this is the worst episode
why did the writer wrote the story about them losing? WHAT'S WRONG WITH WINNING? come on man they tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter!? they got bronze, BRONZE! the lowest of the low! I blame all those time-wasting highschool mellodrama for this!

and what the hell man that guy *i forgot his name* making move to kumiko? geez
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 21, 2016 12:18 PM

Jul 2015
hahaha thx god i dropped this show
im just having fun reading the salty comments :D
Dec 21, 2016 12:22 PM

Aug 2013
Really, Kumiko x Reina was hardly a thing in this anime. Maybe I could believe that Kumiko could have a crush on Reina, but it was established from the first season that Reina is in love with her teacher. Honestly, how did people actually think Kumiko X Reina was ever going to be possible, when Reina clearly has somebody she loves a lot.

Great episode though. It made me really happy to have Asukas father acknowledge her. Hopefully she'll be able to see him soon. A lot of great scenes in this episode, and the bridge scene was probably the best IMO.
[/url]
Seven-Coloured Puppeteer.
Dec 21, 2016 12:26 PM
Jul 2018
Saffron_entity said:
Really, Kumiko x Reina was hardly a thing in this anime. Maybe I could believe that Kumiko could have a crush on Reina, but it was established from the first season that Reina is in love with her teacher. Honestly, how did people actually think Kumiko X Reina was ever going to be possible, when Reina clearly has somebody she loves.

Great episode though. It made me really happy to have Asukas father acknowledge her. Hopefully she'll be able to see him soon. A lot of great scenes in this episode, and the bridge scene was probably the best IMO.

Well a lot of people are enraged abt the fact that kumiko x shuichi has happened too, when people rarely gave attention to him.
Dec 21, 2016 12:35 PM

Nov 2013
The yuri dream is fucking DEAD
Dec 21, 2016 12:37 PM

Nov 2007
daze3x said:
Does anyone know exactly how far in the light novel this season goes?

It's a novel and not a light novel. Just few pages are left to be covered from the final volume (3rd).
Coronavirus.
Dec 21, 2016 12:37 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Reasonable shippers of Kumiko x Reina would have noticed long ago that this wasn't going anywhere. People who are pissed now that this isn't happening got baited way too hard xD

Shuichi's smile when Kumiko went off at the end was a great detail, he is the closest to the sister pair.
Dec 21, 2016 12:39 PM

Aug 2015
Frostbytes said:
Saffron_entity said:
Really, Kumiko x Reina was hardly a thing in this anime. Maybe I could believe that Kumiko could have a crush on Reina, but it was established from the first season that Reina is in love with her teacher. Honestly, how did people actually think Kumiko X Reina was ever going to be possible, when Reina clearly has somebody she loves.

Well a lot of people are enraged abt the fact that kumiko x shuichi has happened too, when people rarely gave attention to him.

I think many people who watched this anime didn't understand the psychology of the characters. Or were they too focused on an imaginary yuri? ^^'
Dec 21, 2016 12:44 PM
Oct 2015
tbh, kinda glad they lost. It was refreshing and it reflected a feeling that most of us get when we aren't able to go all the way and win. I'm glad it wasn't some shounen anime where the home team wins every single game or competition. It would have been too good to be true if they had just won everything outright, zero to hero, just like in every predictable shounen show.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Movies

nishant0 - Apr 19

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Apr 24, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

287 by Prupel1 »»
Apr 20, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

117 by Jam15 »»
Apr 13, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

113 by Jam15 »»
Apr 10, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2016

217 by ShinigamiGang »»
Apr 1, 7:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.