Forum Settings
Forums

In the long run, it all comes down on how YOU experienced a show... in deciding which anime you like and consider a masterpiece

New
Dec 15, 2016 6:02 PM

Jan 2016
I know that you people here are allergic to Youtube videos and especially from Anime related content creators but Gigguk has just recently made a video that I think what people who are passionate about anime should always be reminded about.

I myself think that you can really look at an anime in a purely technical(critical) lens but looking at it with only those is missing the point. Even if you classify several shows as art or as just a product.... YOUR own experience with it is the only thing that matters, in the long run. If you loved so much despite noticing that it doesn't hold up when examined critically.... that shouldn't matter. Dry, technical stuff shouldn't matter in the long run in a medium that can sometimes be art or that can be sometimes just a product for entertainment.

Well, enough rambling, thoughts?
ethotDec 15, 2016 6:08 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 15, 2016 6:08 PM
Jan 2015
Yeah I saw this just recently as well, he's 100% correct.
My Queens

Dec 15, 2016 6:08 PM

Feb 2013
Kimi no Pico Wa is literally the best anime ever created, and a critical success (almost as big as Bananya)
Dec 15, 2016 6:11 PM

Mar 2008
Not gonna watch another shill's video, but if the point here is like what you like, no shit.

There's certainly no reason to angst over whether your 'enjoyed' favourites are of a masterpiece quality, but neither does that mean that such standards are irrelevant. If we shelter ourselves in the lonesome solitude of our own limited perspective, then we are surely missing out on the larger things life and putting to waste the gifts of modern communication and collective knowledge. Technical and critical greatness exists, and a pursuit of that experience will never be irrelevant for those that care about the possibility of anime.
CkanDec 15, 2016 6:14 PM
Dec 15, 2016 6:14 PM

Nov 2012
No offense CG, truly, but it's always extremely predictable seeing where you get your ideas for your threads even before opening them.

But yeah, I agree with him.
Dec 15, 2016 6:16 PM

Jan 2016
Ckan said:
Not gonna watch another shill's video, but if the point here is like what you like, no shit.

There's certainly no reason to angst over whether your 'enjoyed' favourites are of a masterpiece quality, but neither does that mean that such standards are irrelevant. Technical and critical greatness exists, and a pursuit of that experience will never be irrelevant for those that care about the possibility of anime.

If YOU didn't personally enjoy an anime, no matter how great it technically and critically holds up then those things become irrelevant. Well, if you do, then it is.
What matters is YOU.
Dec 15, 2016 6:20 PM
Dec 2015
I've been preaching this forever. Even more than just how much a show resonates with you is these perceived "objective" issues. I've found that many people have had issues with a show which I never really noticed or that never bothered me, while I'd point out issues which other people weren't bothered by. Hell, some shows I despise for the same reasons other love them. It really all comes down to YOU as a viewer with experiences and even upbringing which shape your tastes.
Dec 15, 2016 6:21 PM

Mar 2008
CapitalistGod said:
Ckan said:

There's certainly no reason to angst over whether your 'enjoyed' favourites are of a masterpiece quality, but neither does that mean that such standards are irrelevant. Technical and critical greatness exists, and a pursuit of that experience will never be irrelevant for those that care about the possibility of anime.

If YOU didn't personally enjoy an anime, no matter how great it technically and critically holds up then those things become irrelevant. Well, if you do, then it is.
What matters is YOU.
Quite simply, that is wrong.

YOU do not matter. YOU are nothing. Less than a speck in the cosmos of existence. Your temporal moment, your second of experience is not even a drop in the ocean of human existence. Community matters. People matter. Lives matter. YOU the person do not matter. How YOU feel does not matter. Nobody cares what YOU like. The text matters. The anime matters. The consensus matters, but never YOU. What matters is not how YOU relate, but how YOU might affect the world. But that is not YOU, that is the world in reaction to YOU. YOU are meaningful only as a statistic.

Your life exists only in the reflection of our wider consciousness, and YOU cannot exist without us. So no, YOU can like as much as you want, but YOU are as irrelevant as the grain of sand on a seashore.
Dec 15, 2016 6:22 PM

Feb 2013
Ckan said:
CapitalistGod said:

What matters is YOU.

YOU do not matter. YOU are nothing. Less than a speck in the cosmos of existence. Your temporal moment, your second of experience is not even a drop in the ocean of human existence. Community matters. People matter. Lives matter. YOU the person do not matter. How YOU feel does not matter. Nobody cares what YOU like. What matters is how YOU relate and affect the world. But that is not YOU, that is the world in reaction to YOU.

Your life exists only in the reflection of our wider consciousness, and YOU cannot exist without us. So no, YOU can like as much as you want, but YOU are as irrelevant as the grain of sand on a seashore.
Am i really all the things that outside of me?
Dec 15, 2016 6:23 PM

Jan 2016
Ckan said:
CapitalistGod said:

What matters is YOU.

YOU do not matter. YOU are nothing. Less than a speck in the cosmos of existence. Your temporal moment, your second of experience is not even a drop in the ocean of human existence. Community matters. People matter. Lives matter. YOU the person do not matter. How YOU feel does not matter. Nobody cares what YOU like. The text matters. The anime matters. The consensus matters, but never YOU. What matters is how YOU relate and affect the world. But that is not YOU, that is the world in reaction to YOU.

Well, enjoy living a life like that. I won't.
Dec 15, 2016 6:23 PM

Mar 2012
CapitalistGod said:
I know that you people here are allergic to Youtube videos and especially from Anime related content creators but Gigguk has just recently made a video that I think what people who are passionate about anime should always be reminded about.

I myself think that you can really look at an anime in a purely technical(critical) lens but looking at it with only those is missing the point. Even if you classify several shows as art or as just a product.... YOUR own experience with it is the only thing that matters, in the long run. If you loved so much despite noticing that it doesn't hold up when examined critically.... that shouldn't matter. Dry, technical stuff shouldn't matter in the long run in a medium that can sometimes be art or that can be sometimes just a product for entertainment.

Well, enough rambling, thoughts?

If by "dry, technical stuff" you mean quality of characters, storyline, thematic development, formal innovation, emotional appeal, depth, etc, then yes, it actually does matter in the long run in ANY medium that can sometimes be art or sometimes a product for entertainment. Note the fact when we talk about, for example, novels from the early 20th century, we are rarely speaking about anything OTHER than novels that were exemplary or innovative in some way.

That doesn't mean it should affect whether or not you choose to enjoy a show, but the fact is stuff that is mediocre is rarely spoken about in the decades following its release and the situation is the opposite of what you describe.

Also it's pretty obvious you have an agenda from the fact you argue the "critical" lens is identical to a dry, technical one when this is anything but the case - most critics aren't saying "This anime is good because it uses 10 shots from this angle, 13 shots from this angle, the key frame animation is precise, blah blah blah blah," which would certainly be dry. They're arguing for the usage of those technical aspects in service of a larger whole, a thematic goal, a unique style, etc.
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Dec 15, 2016 6:24 PM

Mar 2012
It's obvious just from looking at anime as recently as the 90s - how often do we talk about the works that had nothing technically interesting but were 'enjoyable'? almost never, because everybody forgets about them as soon as the next interchangeable 'enjoyable' anime comes around. It's a pretty low bar.
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Dec 15, 2016 6:25 PM

Sep 2014
Wait, people didn't know this already? An unexplored level of retardation has been reached by humanity thanks to the Anime community.
Dec 15, 2016 6:28 PM

Feb 2015
OP, you just really created a thread in what @EcchiLordMamster and I'm saying(not always though)...

You do believe in that shitty YT dude, and don't believe in us, like really? Dude WTF?
Dec 15, 2016 6:30 PM

May 2015
I like School Days.
Other people don't like School Days.
People criticize me for liking School Days.
I laugh at people that don't like School Days.
But I don't force them to like School Days.
Because humans are able to accept and forgive.
And so, move beyond that...
Dec 15, 2016 6:37 PM
Jul 2018
There was a time I thought my favorite anime were flawless. Looking back at them, I can see all their flaws and weaknesses. I still like them, of course, because, you know, nostalgic feelings and all that. But there really is no perfect anime to me personally. Even my most favorite anime are no more than an 8/10.

But when I was younger these anime had a lot more impact on my imagination than they do now, so a lot of it has to do with becoming more critical in thought, and just noticing imperfection in everything in general.
Dec 15, 2016 6:38 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
DON'T I ALWAYS SAY THIS? LOL

i am someone who enjoys anime that are heavily criticized, many of which are 5-6.0s

think im gonna stop watching them because people think theyre bad?

i for example, like SAO... and get extremely annoying having to see another 624624546326254752254165473563 SAO sucks comments

if you think theres something wrong with me for liking what i like and not prioritizing what you think i should...

FUCK YOU....

i didn't watch the video btw lol.. i don't watch reviewers
Dec 15, 2016 6:45 PM
Jul 2018
There is no way in hell someone is going to make me watch a video made by giggukancer no matter what it is about.

YOUR own experience with it is the only thing that matters

Also duh thx captain obvious...
Dec 15, 2016 6:45 PM

Oct 2013
truisms said:
It's obvious just from looking at anime as recently as the 90s - how often do we talk about the works that had nothing technically interesting but were 'enjoyable'? almost never, because everybody forgets about them as soon as the next interchangeable 'enjoyable' anime comes around. It's a pretty low bar.

It goes both ways, a anime just needs to have that memorable identity, it has nothing to do with being critical or not.

And another thing, we are in the internet age where everything is moving quickly, as one show ends, they move on to the next, if not you will be left behind. That is how it feel when it comes to seasonal anime for eg.

And its not like persons forgot about those series, its just that they don't have much time to talk about that anime since the next hot series is already airing and everyone is talking about it.

The age where a lot of persons spend years talking about one series is done and dusted.

And those novels you are talking about is irrelevant to the newer generation.
Dec 15, 2016 6:47 PM
May 2014
It seems pretty obvious that the two are closely related, "dry technical shots" greatly increases the probability that more people will have a positive experience with the anime.
Dec 15, 2016 6:47 PM

Jul 2016
I've watched a lot of things with terrible reviews and low ratings, and found most of them great. I've really enjoyed them.

If you want to watch something even though other people don't like it, watch it.
If you like it, awesome. Props to you for finding something you like even though you were discouraged by other peoples opinions.
If you don't like it, then that's fine too. But don't act all high and mighty because some other people do like it and you're feeling special dumping on the bandwagon of people that dislike something.

It really doesn't matter. People have different tastes, that's the whole point as to why there's so much variety.
For example Ecchi gets dissed a lot, but also a lot of people love it, I'm one of those people. And I don't care if other people don't like it, I have a good time watching it and that's what matters. Your personal view as to what you enjoy is all that's important.

nσthíng вσnds twσ sσuls
mσrє sσundlч thαn
m u r d є r

Dec 15, 2016 6:50 PM

Mar 2012
keragamming said:
truisms said:

It goes both ways, a anime just needs to have that memorable identity, it has nothing to do with being critical or not.

And another thing, we are in the internet age where everything is moving quickly, as one show ends, they move on to the next, if not you will be left behind. That is how it feel when it coes to seasonal anime.

And its not like persons forgot about those series, its just that they don't have much time to talk about that anime since, the next hot series is already airing and everyone is talking about it.

The age where a lot of persons spend years talking about one series is done and dusted.

And those novels you are talkong about is irrelevant to the newer generation.

that's my point, that people don't 'forget' about those series as much as not care about them as soon as other shows are on, because fundamentally the mediocre series are interchangeable with one another. on the other hand people still talk about evangelion, serial experiments lain, lotgh, etc, etc. because those offer reasons to talk about them beyond "THEY'RE AIRING RIGHT NOW."
memorable identity is built out of the 'dry technical stuff.'

and the novels i'm talking about aren't irrelevant to the newer generation, they're irrelevant to YOU. don't confuse the two.
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Dec 15, 2016 6:52 PM

Jul 2015
Just by seeing the title of ur thread I was gonna mention that gigguk vid
No memes but still quality tho
I agree
Dec 15, 2016 6:54 PM

Mar 2016
I don't watch youtubers. . .
But well, for some people, analyzing is a part of enjoying a thing (anime). . .
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Dec 15, 2016 7:00 PM

Jan 2016
@truism I won't argue the point you're making since it's the "classics" that are remembered but those things that made it a classic becomes irrelevant to someone who either simply didn't like it or who didn't resonate with it or any other entirely personal reasons.

Sure, it's a low bar but who cares?
Dec 15, 2016 7:02 PM

Mar 2012
CapitalistGod said:
@truism I won't argue the point you're making since it's the "classics" that are remembered but those things that made it a classic becomes irrelevant to someone who either simply didn't like it or who didn't resonate with it or any other entirely personal reasons.

sure, i guess? my point wasn't that classics have universal appeal. your argument was that in the long run only enjoyment matters and i was arguing that in the long run that is entirely false
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Dec 15, 2016 7:06 PM

Jul 2012
While it is true that it is ultimately your own choice whether you like a series, you should still be open for discussion.

If you will love your favorite anime unconditionally and are unwilling to take shit from anyone else then why are you even on the discussion forums.

Tastes reflect who you are as a person, but you shouldn't be completely shut out to the possibility of different perspectives.
Dec 15, 2016 7:10 PM

Oct 2013
truisms said:
keragamming said:

And another thing, we are in the internet age where everything is moving quickly, as one show ends, they move on to the next, if not you will be left behind. That is how it feel when it coes to seasonal anime.

And its not like persons forgot about those series, its just that they don't have much time to talk about that anime since, the next hot series is already airing and everyone is talking about it.

And those novels you are talkong about is irrelevant to the newer generation.

that's my point, that people don't 'forget' about those series as much as not care about them as soon as other shows are on, because fundamentally the mediocre series are interchangeable with one another. on the other hand people still talk about evangelion, serial experiments lain, lotgh, etc, etc. because those offer reasons to talk about them beyond "THEY'RE AIRING RIGHT NOW."

and the novels i'm talking about aren't irrelevant to the newer generation, they're irrelevant to YOU. don't confuse the two.

You mean one or two persons talking about those series? Those series are still being talk about simple because they have been recommended by someone else and they have watch it. Those are basically the top anime recommended beginners guide to become a elitist.

Just like the top most recommened mainstream anime for new timers, like snk, death note, fmab, cowboy bebop, sao, code geass ect.

Those novels are irrelevant, and the more years goes by the more irrelevant it becomes. How many people are watching early 2000 anime not to mention 90s anime? Just a small percentage.

The current anime fans are more focus on stuff that is currently airing, which is a natural thing to do.
keragammingDec 15, 2016 7:15 PM
Dec 15, 2016 7:18 PM

Mar 2012
keragamming said:
truisms said:

You mean one or two persons talking about those series? Those series are still being talk about simple because they have been recommended by someone else and they have watch it. Those are basically the top anime recommended beginners guide to become a elitist.

Just like the top most recommened mainstream anime for new timers, like snk, death note, fmab, cowboy bebop, sao, code geass ect.

Those novels are irrelevant, and the more years goes by the more irrelevant it becomes. How many people are watching early 2000 anime not to mention 90s anime? Just a small percentage.

so your argument is that technical aspects don't matter more in the long run because... NOTHING matters in the long run, including how much you enjoy it, because those will be irrelevant, and everything will be lost in the crowd? i'm not that profoundly nihilistic, sorry.

one or two people is a huge understatement and you're most likely aware of that.

and it's not about the fact it's a small percentage, it's the fact that most people who will continue to read novels years after they're published, i.e. in the long run, actually care about novels or reading, and are not reading only for the purpose of having something to talk about with 4 people they barely know at work. same with anime, same with movies. i'm not about to cater to the least interested/most ignorant here.
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Dec 15, 2016 7:20 PM

Mar 2016
ermgerd what a revolutionary new idea
nobody has ever thought of this one before
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Dec 15, 2016 7:22 PM

Jan 2008
Well that felt like a slight waste of time. I guess I did unsub to him for a reason. Video was basically 4 minutes of him reviewing Kimi no Na wa and 4 minutes of him padding out the obvious.
Dec 15, 2016 7:30 PM

Jan 2016
truisms said:
CapitalistGod said:

sure, i guess? my point wasn't that classics have universal appeal. your argument was that in the long run only enjoyment matters and i was arguing that in the long run that is entirely false

What matters with every individual in the long run... is this.
Dec 15, 2016 7:34 PM

Mar 2012
CapitalistGod said:
truisms said:

i disagree, i think what matters to people in the long run will be things they care about or that affected them deeply, not shit they enjoyed for 2 months in 2014. people aren't in it for the long run anyways, they're in for the limited amount of time they spend on earth. but this isn't the argument you started anyways
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Dec 15, 2016 7:35 PM

Jan 2009
got to admit that is one mood uplifting video

and i agree with him when he said that he have more respect on reviewers that describes the good viewing experience of an anime show rather than focusing on describing how unrealistic or irrational or impossible the anime show is which is like majority of MAL reviews from what i can tell (although i can be wrong on this since i rarely read reviews here)

elitism in anime is getting cancerous so the message he presented maybe so obvious but its a good reminder for a lot of anime fans that only watch anime just to find flaws and criticize them

ye i get it sturgeons law says 90% of everything is crap and i can agree to that as well but not everybody have the same experience when watching an anime is just the main point here
Dec 15, 2016 7:46 PM

Oct 2013
truisms said:
keragamming said:

so your argument is that technical aspects don't matter more in the long run because... NOTHING matters in the long run, including how much you enjoy it, because those will be irrelevant, and everything will be lost in the crowd? i'm not that profoundly nihilistic, sorry.

one or two people is a huge understatement and you're most likely aware of that.

and it's not about the fact it's a small percentage, it's the fact that most people who will continue to read novels years after they're published, i.e. in the long run, actually care about novels or reading, and are not reading only for the purpose of having something to talk about with 4 people they barely know at work. same with anime, same with movies. i'm not about to cater to the least interested/most ignorant here.

Just telling the truth, for eg we all are going to die eventually, that is a fact, does that mean we shouldn't do anything with our life? Of course not. You are talking about stuff that doesn't work well in this current time.

Your statement would make more sense back in the early 2000 and 90s when there was less anime being produce per year and the internet and technology wasn't such a big thing yet.
keragammingDec 15, 2016 7:49 PM
Dec 15, 2016 7:48 PM
Sep 2016
Ckan said:
CapitalistGod said:

What matters is YOU.

YOU do not matter. YOU are nothing. Less than a speck in the cosmos of existence. Your temporal moment, your second of experience is not even a drop in the ocean of human existence. Community matters. People matter. Lives matter. YOU the person do not matter. How YOU feel does not matter. Nobody cares what YOU like. The text matters. The anime matters. The consensus matters, but never YOU. What matters is not how YOU relate, but how YOU might affect the world. But that is not YOU, that is the world in reaction to YOU. YOU are meaningful only as a statistic.

Hey, you know what a conglomeration of insignificant specks in the universe is called?

An insignificant speck.

By what you state in the beginning of your argument, I'd say it doesn't make too much sense in saying a whole is that important at all and matters over the individual; contrarily, our insignificance in the universe as an individual and as all of human kind is exactly what makes subjectivity so important. As it stands now, you see through your eyes, you hear through your ears, you live with your life, and if we're all to amount to nothing anyways so why don't you live the way you want. Of course then what I said shouldn't faze you at all since you have the right to live the way you want and think the way you want. In my philosophy, as long as you don't restrict one's rights to think freely and act freely with your freedom, if harmonious coexistence is possible by your methods, then you can do what you want.

Well, I pretty much invalidated my own argument but meh, I like these kind of conversations.
Dec 15, 2016 7:50 PM

Mar 2012
keragamming said:
truisms said:

Just telling the truth, for eg we all are going to die eventually, that is a fact, does that mean we shouldn't do anything with our life? Of course not. You are talking about stuff that doesn't work well in this current time.

Your statement would make more sense back in the early 2000 and 90s when there was less anime being produce per year and the internet and technology wasn't such a big thing yet.

precisely, we are all going to die one day, which is exactly why how much YOU enjoy something matters less than nothing
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Dec 15, 2016 8:02 PM

Dec 2014
Ckan said:
CapitalistGod said:

What matters is YOU.

Then, I guess what matters is ME because I'm the most PERFECT human being in the world.
Dec 15, 2016 8:11 PM

Jan 2016
truisms said:
CapitalistGod said:

i disagree, i think what matters to people in the long run will be things they care about or that affected them deeply, not shit they enjoyed for 2 months in 2014. people aren't in it for the long run anyways, they're in for the limited amount of time they spend on earth. but this isn't the argument you started anyways

I think I'm talking about all personal reasons... Enjoyment is also personal... That affection is also personal. And those personal reasons is the thing that only matter more than anything.
Dec 15, 2016 8:18 PM

Mar 2012
CapitalistGod said:
truisms said:

I think I'm talking about all personal reasons... Enjoyment is also personal... That affection is also personal. And those personal reasons is the thing that only matter more than anything.

If you claim every possible reason, including critical analysis, qualifies as personal, and then claim personal reactions are what matter in the long run, there's not much of a point making the second argument anyways
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Dec 15, 2016 8:24 PM

Oct 2014
I'm actually currently working on an analysis of Non Non Biyori to attempt to deconstruct exactly where my enjoyment is coming from. This could be useful in arguments as well as just to understand my own taste better.

We all have our own taste and taste is subjective, but I still think it's good to know exactly why you enjoy certain anime more than others.
Dec 15, 2016 8:29 PM

May 2016
But...but I'm the Arbiter of Absolute Truth! Everything I say is 100% correct! D:

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Dec 15, 2016 8:32 PM

Jan 2015
Sound like another self justification.

la critique de l'intention pure
Dec 15, 2016 8:35 PM

Oct 2013
@truisms I feel like I'm being misunderstand here, I am not saying you should accept reality, but atleast acknowledge it. We are straying from the point. This current age is moving towards everything being instant, for eg, persons wants the fastest pc and internet they can get because they want a system that respond quickly.

News spread across the world in a matter of seconds, in the next 24 hours that news will be consider old, and if you make a thread or video about it 24hours later, you will be left in the dust, the majority of people want to be up to date, they want to be a part of everything.

This applies to anime as well, current anime fans are more focus on what is currently airing and will make sure that they are up to date with the latest episode, especially when it comes to hype series, so they can be a psrt of the current live discussions, thus they have little time to focus on series that are not currently airing, especially the really older series. And this includes what they have to do daily in real life as well.

Anyways the internet or social media is the true mastermind behind this , and if you don't want to be left behind, you need to get with the time.

That's all I was saying.

So as I was saying, its not really the standards that has drop, but it more has to do with the current generation attention span which imo is mostly because of the internet or social media, and just the fast pace of anime, games and movies being released.
keragammingDec 15, 2016 8:52 PM
Dec 15, 2016 8:48 PM

Mar 2012
keragamming said:
@truisms I feel like I'm being misunderstand here, I am not saying you should accept reality, but atleast acknowledge it. We are straying from the point. This current age is moving towards everything being instant, for eg, persons wants the fastest pc and internet they can get because they want a system that respond quickly.

News spread across the world in a matter of seconds, in the next 24 hours that news will be consider old, and if you make a thread or video about it 24hours later, you will be left in the dust, the majority of people want to be up to date, they want to be a part of everything.

This applies to anime as well, current anime fans are more focus on what is currently airing and will make sure that they are up to date with the latest episode, especially when it comes to hype series, so they can be a psrt of the current live discussions, thus they have little time to focus on series that are not currently airing, especially the really older series. And this includes what they have to do daily in real life as well.

Anyways the internet or social media is the true mastermind behind this , and if you don't want to be left behind, you need to get with the time.

That's all I was saying.

i understand what you were saying, and i was disagreeing that that by necessity affects the long-run standing of a work. but i am aware of what you're saying, don't get me wrong.
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Dec 15, 2016 8:57 PM

Dec 2013
CapitalistGod said:

If YOU didn't personally enjoy an anime, no matter how great it technically and critically holds up then those things become irrelevant.

I think it's your use of the word "irrelevant" that's making me wince. Maybe you can expand on that.
Dec 15, 2016 9:04 PM

Jan 2016
truisms said:
CapitalistGod said:

If you claim every possible reason, including critical analysis, qualifies as personal, and then claim personal reactions are what matter in the long run, there's not much of a point making the second argument anyways

Critical analysis that make it a point to point out how they we're personally affected by a show, sure... It still is entirely personal.
Dec 15, 2016 9:13 PM

Nov 2009
That was a nice video. Faith in humanity restored. Thank you.
Dec 15, 2016 9:21 PM
Jul 2018
You can't look at an anime objectively. It's impossible, since you're a person different from the rest and you have your own opinions and ideas.
Dec 15, 2016 9:49 PM

Jan 2016
Gymkata said:
CapitalistGod said:

If YOU didn't personally enjoy an anime, no matter how great it technically and critically holds up then those things become irrelevant.

I think it's your use of the word "irrelevant" that's making me wince. Maybe you can expand on that.

If an anime didn't give you an enjoyable experience or it doesn't affect or resonate with you.... then how it holds up critically doesn't really matter.... or it is irrelevant.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Are Risqué Anime Bad for the Industry?

Dragevard - 7 hours ago

19 by traed »»
28 seconds ago

» Do you consider the opening(s) and ending(s) when rating an anime? ( 1 2 )

Hacker075 - Mar 15

64 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
1 minute ago

» something you dislike about your favorite character

Kenzolo-folk - Apr 22

32 by Synkiiz »»
4 minutes ago

» How did you get into anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Cudlyyy - Sep 28, 2023

119 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
5 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime? ( 1 2 )

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 19

75 by Synkiiz »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.