Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 14, 2016 10:44 AM

Sep 2016
makes me wonder why everyone like kumiko's VA

unpopular opinion, but kumiko's VA sucks, her voice is terrible. I guess "kumiko noise" is good trademark, but other than that it's pretty bland. just listen to episode 10 crying scene that's absolutely terrible. i doubt she'd get any good role in the future.

i know y'all agree with me.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 14, 2016 11:15 AM

Apr 2013
Her voice is fine.

Similarly, there are voice actors that you think are great that others think are shit.

There's no one voice that 7 billion people are going to agree are good. (nor bad)

If you don't like it, idk wait for the dub or something.
Dec 14, 2016 11:28 AM

Aug 2013
What are you talking about? Her seiyuu is the best out there. I love her voice and the way how she is acting / expressing emotions.
Of course, everyone has their own opinions, but I just don't get how someone can hate that voice in this case.
rsc-plDec 14, 2016 11:32 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 14, 2016 11:39 AM

Apr 2016
I'll take the bait :)

Her voice is not as sweet or soft as Reina for instance but there's a pleasant natural feeling to it. It's not overdone, it's not exaggerated. The hesitations are there, the voice becomes louder when strong feelings are involved, it's quieter when Kumiko is insecure, ... the tone is most of the time right on point. I don't know what to think about the last crying scene in episode 10 : thing is, it's probably painful for me BECAUSE it's well done. Since I'm relatively sensible with this kind of scenes, the fact that it didn't trigger a full rejection from me is more a token of quality.
(I was less convinced with the one with yuuko in episode 4 or 5)

Kumiko's VA did a wonderful job in my opinion but that's probably because the story and kyoani direction let all the Voice Actors and actresses shine. I think it was an incredible chance for the Seyuus to have a role in this show. You can be extremly good as VA, if a shit director tell you to overdo it, push your voice in the higher tones, sounds more stupid or moe (in a negative way) in a shit show, you're damned and nobody will notice how good you can be.
Ysad_ZiwezhanDec 14, 2016 11:44 AM
Dec 14, 2016 12:07 PM

Jun 2012
While it is much different than her S1 voice, i grew to really like it, and crying in episode 10 wwas wonderfully done, i felt so sorry for Kumiko.
Dec 14, 2016 1:05 PM

Jun 2016
Disagree. Ep 10 was amazing.
Dec 14, 2016 1:11 PM

May 2016
I disagree, when it comes to KyoAni shows, Kumiko, Chitanda Eru and Kuriyama Mirai are the holy trinity of female performances.
Dec 14, 2016 1:17 PM

Sep 2016
im positive her voice won't work in any other anime
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 14, 2016 1:40 PM

Jul 2011
She doesn't sound like this in other anime though. It's Kumiko-specific.

Her voice is usually like this in her other roles:
Dec 14, 2016 2:23 PM
Sep 2011
Nope her voice is perfect, on the early episode i can agree with you but not now
Dec 14, 2016 3:15 PM

Feb 2016
Chitanda Eru was annoying af also because of her voice actor.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Dec 14, 2016 3:22 PM

Feb 2008
Well it depends what roles she get.
So this role is so much younger, but if you listen carefully you can still hear a bit Kumiko voice.

Mirorin said:

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Dec 14, 2016 3:23 PM

Feb 2008
Tyordiznok said:
Disagree. Ep 10 was amazing.

Up+!! That's what I gotta say. :D

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Dec 14, 2016 5:04 PM

Mar 2015
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds her voice kinda offputting...maybe it's meant to be like that idk but it takes me out of the anime whenever I hear it
Dec 14, 2016 5:21 PM

Nov 2011
I see you're point, but I don't think she sucks. Sometimes her voice gets kinda monotone when you expect her to express more emotion but lately I'm thinking this is a character trait and not the seyuu's problem.
Have you noticed how when Kumiko's around her family she's kinda robotic like. Her character development is around the fact that she was always distancing herself emotionally from others and being a expectator but now she actually wants to be the change, she wants to help and all.
I think the seyuu is doing a good job at showing that
Baby, daijobanai...
Dec 15, 2016 1:44 AM
Aug 2015
I don't think that she's a bad voice actor but I think that she's overdoing it sometimes. I think her voice is ok when she's talking to her family or to Shuuichi (more robot-like...) but when she talked with Asuka in the last episode (and also in episode 9) it was so exagerrated I couln't feel anything. I agree that Kumiko's character is changing, evolving, but they (I don't know if it is the voice actor herself or if the directors told her to voice like that) but they shouldn't have done too much. I'm really fed up with the drama in this show. The more we advance, the more I think they shouldn't have done a sequel.
Dec 15, 2016 1:50 AM

Mar 2014
Her voice is empirically perfect for the character that is presented. The crying scene in episode 10 is one of the most realistic portrayals in this medium.
Dec 15, 2016 1:56 AM
Mar 2016
If you want an anime voice, then yes, it sucks. It doesn't sound like anime. So flat, compared to exaggerated anime voice. I don't like her natural but grainy or sandy voice but I got used to it. So it's not a big issue anymore.
I believe her voice is the director's choice though. Her voice are anime-like in other roles like in Yuuki Yuna and even in the first season, I believe.
Dec 15, 2016 3:31 AM

Nov 2007
I don't often think about how much i love VA's work when i am watching anime but at some points during Hibike i was like...yeah,i love Kumiko's VA.
She is great, she sounds...idk...realistic or something. Her voice fits Kumiko, she portrays her character perfectly.
Dec 15, 2016 4:38 AM

Mar 2015
I like her voice it s so natural
Dec 15, 2016 4:47 AM

Oct 2015
her voice sounds natural, that's what makes her voice stand out from the rest
Dec 15, 2016 6:28 AM

Jul 2015
You don't like her voice, I love her voice very much.
At the end taste is not something to be debated.
Dec 18, 2016 8:50 AM

Sep 2014
You gave Evangelion 1/10 (my favorite anime).

I disagree with your opinion here more.
NeromonDec 18, 2016 8:53 AM
Dec 18, 2016 9:10 AM

Apr 2016

The reactions alone are awesome sorry but I love her VA.
Dec 22, 2016 9:28 AM
Aug 2016
For me, Kumiko's voice actor is amazing. It matchs perfectly to the personnality of the character, and if you don't like the voice, I think you don't like the character too. That why the discussion about, she can't play other role is a nonsense. A good voice actress must adapt to the role, and so if she will had other role, we will see if she can adapt to other personnality.
Dec 22, 2016 11:10 AM

Apr 2015
I really enjoy her VAs work on Kumiko. Compared to most female characters, who are delightfully smooth and squeeky, I have meet a few teenagers who talk in a similar manner. Kumiko's expressiveness isn't the norm. I particularly relish her moments of hesitation in speaking.
Dec 24, 2016 12:09 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I actually think she sounds very natural in her delivery. Most of the cast is trying to go for a natural delivery for this show, but I think she does it the best.

Her crying scene is just about how crying and yelling in real life sounds-- like I seriously just recorded myself crying for real and going off about something for VA study purposes and it sounds about right even if it's going to differ a little from person to person and language to language. There are certain things that happen which will occur regardless that she put in flawlessly. Really great. The thing is, it all sounds a lot more subtle than how people usually voice crying scenes.

It's kinda like how people exaggerate the heck out of someone who's drunk. They'll stumble all over the place, slur their words in a comical manner, yadda yadda, but really, drunk people often try not to appear or sound drunk. Going natural is all about observing how people TRULY act in certain situations, but when it comes to entertainment, it's going to be a little hard for audiences to adapt to not hearing exaggerated performances and instead actual natural performances.

Even when I hear myself fake cry as opposed to actually crying, I find that the fake cry sounds so much more like crying and assume it will come off to an audience better just because they're not used to hearing someone actually cry behind a mic. In movies, we can see how the actor's affected along with the sounds, so it all comes together, but with only audio and animation that depends on the audio, it's a little trickier.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Dec 24, 2016 3:14 AM
Mar 2016
That was rude to call her voice suck ... Apologize to her
Dec 28, 2016 4:03 PM

Feb 2010
Mirorin said:

I disagree, her Kumiko voice is really near to her normal voice

I've seen her guesting on some radio shows that I watch
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Dec 28, 2016 6:46 PM

Jul 2011

I didn't say it was her normal voice though. I said it was what she sounded like in most of her other roles.
Dec 29, 2016 11:51 PM

May 2012
I don't think Kumiku's VA is bad but i really don't like her very dramatic scenes. Those scenes where she cries while talking with Asuka feel awkward for me. I usually don't have this kind of problem.

I'm not sure if it's awkward because of the VA or because of Kumiko herself. She usually is not that sentimental so for me it feels strange when she is so over dramatic like that.
I despise woke people.
Dec 30, 2016 10:55 AM

May 2016
I am on the opposite end of the spectrum and i actually think Kumiko's VA is about as perfect as she could possibly be for the role. Could you imagine Kumiko without her quirks from the anime, like how disinterested she can sound and her awkward 'eck' moments.

She sounds so good as Kumiko that i went down to visit her live during the Hibike Euphonium showcase while Anime Festival Asia was going on here in Singapore and i was astounded because her normal self sounds exactly 1/1 as a carbon copy of Kumiko from the show and that truly delighted me.

From her sharing session she apparently auditioned for a 'cuter/more lively' role (Sapphire maybe?) but after the audition she was offered the role of Kumiko instead because she was just perfect for the job, it doesn't get better than that.

She was really enthusiastic about the role too because she could see a part of Kumiko in herself (being lazy and all at times lmao) so she could be very natural in her delivery.
┬┴┬┴┤ ͜ʖ ͡°) ├┬┴┬┴ ┬┴┬┴┤ʕ•ᴥ├┬┴┬┴
Jan 1, 2017 10:21 AM

Aug 2012
kamil88 said:
While it is much different than her S1 voice, i grew to really like it, and crying in episode 10 wwas wonderfully done, i felt so sorry for Kumiko.

This.................
Jan 8, 2017 12:12 AM
May 2013
Only time will tell if Kurosawa is a good voice actress or not. She's only 20 and has few roles to show for. If you listen closely, the seniors have veteran VA such as Minako, Saori or Minori all stacked with a variety of roles. The second years and first years have an array of lesser experienced VA with much fewer roles. I believe this parallel is very apparent in creating a contrast of characters. I believe the producers made the right choice, Kurosawa was the perfect Oumae Kumiko. I love Kumiko therefor I love Kurosawa's voice.
Jan 8, 2017 12:34 AM

Apr 2012
Saw episode 10 yesterday, and while I like Kurosawa's work as Kumiko I'll have to admit that scene was a bit jarring voice-wise. Maybe part of the issue is asking someone in their 20s to portray a cracking 15 year-old in a believable way, though I'm sure Kurosawa used some of her own experience and that scene isn't just the result of director's directions. Guess I should rewatch it at some point to form a better opinion.
EratiKJan 8, 2017 12:43 AM
Jan 15, 2017 6:00 PM

Jan 2013
Even though she's the best voiced acted character in the show? Come on, you can do better then that.
Jan 16, 2017 1:09 PM

Aug 2010
DAFUQ NIGGA!! Kumiko's voice is absolutely perfect.
Jan 24, 2017 12:11 AM

Jun 2009
So I wanted to ask whether you are crazy yesterday already but I decided to watch that episode 10 first. Now I did and that scene was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. So: are you fucking crazy?

The performace throughout both seasons is absolutely stellar and PERFECTLY fits Kumiko's character.
Jan 24, 2017 1:02 AM

Dec 2014
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
I'll take the bait :)

Her voice is not as sweet or soft as Reina for instance but there's a pleasant natural feeling to it. It's not overdone, it's not exaggerated. The hesitations are there, the voice becomes louder when strong feelings are involved, it's quieter when Kumiko is insecure, ... the tone is most of the time right on point. I don't know what to think about the last crying scene in episode 10 : thing is, it's probably painful for me BECAUSE it's well done. Since I'm relatively sensible with this kind of scenes, the fact that it didn't trigger a full rejection from me is more a token of quality.
(I was less convinced with the one with yuuko in episode 4 or 5)

Kumiko's VA did a wonderful job in my opinion but that's probably because the story and kyoani direction let all the Voice Actors and actresses shine. I think it was an incredible chance for the Seyuus to have a role in this show. You can be extremly good as VA, if a shit director tell you to overdo it, push your voice in the higher tones, sounds more stupid or moe (in a negative way) in a shit show, you're damned and nobody will notice how good you can be.
Nice! You nailed it!

More topics from this board

» Movies

nishant0 - Apr 19

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Apr 24, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Dec 28, 2016

287 by Prupel1 »»
Apr 20, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2016

117 by Jam15 »»
Apr 13, 5:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2016

113 by Jam15 »»
Apr 10, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2016

217 by ShinigamiGang »»
Apr 1, 7:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.