Forum Settings
Forums

What would it take to make Japan care about western market?

New
Nov 4, 2016 12:23 AM

Nov 2014
Is there a need for boycott? Should we make petitions?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 4, 2016 12:25 AM
Jul 2018
Get it legally and outnumber japanses sales, unfortunately there is no other way
Nov 4, 2016 12:27 AM

Nov 2014
Darek said:
Get it legally and outnumber japanses sales, unfortunately there is no other way
that is kind of hard, considering that most products don't get released in the west/get released years after

Nov 4, 2016 12:27 AM

May 2016
boycott... what?....Why would they care if we boycot or not?... they earn hardly anything from the Western Market and we don't factor in to whatever they are doing.
Nov 4, 2016 12:30 AM
Jul 2018
ExTemplar said:
Darek said:
that is kind of hard, considering that most products don't get released in the west/get released years after

I know that is why it will never happen, it is an endless cycle of It won't happen unless', Something must break that cycle otherwise it won't happen.
Nov 4, 2016 12:34 AM

Oct 2014
Everyone 20 and up should boycott goldfish crackers so that the creators can learn to market them to the older consumers better.

Honestly, if 0.1% of their profits are coming from overseas and suddenly that drops to 0% that wouldn't even be as big a difference as if a kids soccer team in Japan who all watch anime regularly had to quite anime for a week because of a game. Boycotting only works if you're providing with something they don't want to lose. If you give a man a dime every week he isn't going to consider you a major source of income and he probably won't assume you want something out of him if you stop.
Nov 4, 2016 12:58 AM

Jun 2014
"Boycott" Lol

To be honest, Japan will never care about the western market and I'm glad they don't. I tend to notice a lot of western fans act entitled as hell and act like the industry should change depending on their own taste. I have purchased things from Japan though, but still don't matter to them.
KagamiNov 4, 2016 1:02 AM
Nov 4, 2016 3:11 AM

Mar 2015
just give them more profit, and they would care...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Nov 4, 2016 4:05 AM

Apr 2015
I hope they don't, it's good as it is(stylistically)
Nov 4, 2016 4:07 AM

Aug 2014
Only way is if the sales in west are big enough for the bigger western companies to make more deals with Japan which in turn will make them notice just how much animes popularity is growing in the western world - aka never, and quite frankly that's for the better.
Nov 4, 2016 4:27 AM

Feb 2013
recently there have been some western streaming companies in production of certain animes (ive seen netflix logo on kuromukuro, and crunchyroll in ojisan to marshmallow credits.. pretty sure funi was also involved with 1 or 2 animes), so maybe in the future there will be even more anime like that..
Nov 4, 2016 4:39 AM

Nov 2014
Not much really. It's insignificant. They would not notice if even if most of us joined in on the boycott, let alone whatever realistic figure of cooperation we actually get.

If you are in a larger market though, you can hold onto that slim hope. Meanwhile I'll just exist.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Nov 4, 2016 4:42 AM

Sep 2009
Get Western viewers to start throwing $$$ at them. Even if they're initially watching it illegally, if they're spending a lot on merch and DVDs, it'd make Japan care.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Nov 4, 2016 4:43 AM

Jan 2015
Take over Japan and westernize their culture. That or people here start actually supporting the industry. With a market this big maybe we can get actually decent anime, and more seasons :D
Nov 4, 2016 4:48 AM

Jan 2014
Boycotting anime and making petitions, surely it will work somehow!
OT: Nuke Japan again and maybe they'll make a whole anime about it, listen to our pleads, and so on.
Nov 4, 2016 4:50 AM

Mar 2015
Invade Japan again, this time making sure they hand over their anime along with their freedom.
Nov 4, 2016 7:23 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
How badly are you asking for anime to be destroyed???
Nov 4, 2016 7:36 AM

Nov 2008
Hahahahahahahahahhaha

MURI DESU.

Zettai.....muri.

Nov 4, 2016 7:37 AM

Nov 2013

They already do. We've seen countless co-productions, from Space Dandy to Dimension W to Kiznaiver to Shelter to FLCL S2 etc. (not to mention all those Kickstarter projects like Little Witch Academia, Under the Dog or Kick-Heart)

Crunchy has partnered with Kadokawa and is an active part of every production committee associated with it.

Anime like Terra Formars got 2nd seasons just because of the interest they generated overseas.

Japanese studios and publishers constantly ask for what's popular in the west, Crunchy and other streaming sites use a system that funnels the subscribers' money to the producers of the most successful shows on the site, letting Japan know what the big hits are, and rewarding them for catering to our tastes.

This isn't 2005, we do matter.
Nov 4, 2016 7:45 AM

Aug 2015
When the western market becomes bigger than the Japanese market

( or drop another nuke! )
Nov 4, 2016 7:49 AM

Nov 2008
Sadly Japan wants more of China's money, too bad everything so far made for a Chinese audience is either garbage, doesn't sell well, and is sometimes experimental in the worst ways.

Nov 4, 2016 7:58 AM
Oct 2016
Anime is practically made for the western market, watching anime in Japan is considered a bad thing; you get labeled as an otaku
Nov 4, 2016 8:04 AM

Apr 2015
Anime would have to go super mainstream (like it was once on the borderline of being in the early 2000's). At one point every store was interested in increasing their anime/manga section, now a lot of them have gotten rid of their sections or cut them down significantly.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Nov 4, 2016 8:17 AM
Feb 2009
Kagami said:
"Boycott" Lol

To be honest, Japan will never care about the western market and I'm glad they don't. I tend to notice a lot of western fans act entitled as hell and act like the industry should change depending on their own taste. I have purchased things from Japan though, but still don't matter to them.

Right you are. Japanese try to keep away foreign influence to keep their identity. And that's what makes them interesting.
Nov 4, 2016 8:31 AM
Jun 2015
The stuff that is intentionally or unintentionally catered toward Western audiences ironically come from creators that are inspired by western art. Some examples are Afro Samurai, Serial Experiments Lain, Ghost in the Shell, Big O, Princess Tutu, Space Dandy, Lupin III newest season, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt (Chuck is a nod to invader Zim), World Masterpiece Theater. If you want more Anime that panders to western tastes you should support japanese creators that are fans of the western art.
Nov 4, 2016 8:35 AM
Aug 2015
Darek said:

That's gonna hard thanks to feminsts/female anime fans boycotting everything

WisestOne said:
Take over Japan and westernize their culture.D

I don't think going full SJW/feminist is gonna work
Nov 4, 2016 8:35 AM

Jul 2014
If the interest in anime that had been prevalent during the late 90s to mid 00s were somehow re-ignited, that'd make the Japanese industry care.
Take care of yourself

Nov 4, 2016 8:36 AM

Sep 2016
there is already shitton of bookstore for manga
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Nov 4, 2016 8:37 AM

Mar 2016
Some studios and publishers already somewhat care, but if you're saying "care" like the pandering that Hollywood does to China then overseas sales would have to rival domestic ones
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Nov 4, 2016 8:39 AM

Jan 2010
A more significant interest from our side with lots of viewership and money, accompanied by a willingness to expand their market with the risk of alienating their domestic market with anime geared more towards a global audience as opposed to just the Japanese audience? Granted, they already do this to an extent, culturally neutral anime is something that's been around for a while, and it's not like anime will lose anything. It would, in my mind, gain a larger variety of styles, tones, stories to adapt, characters to portray, and worlds to explore. And no, boycotts and petitions probably wouldn't help. Participating in legal streams and/or making smart purchases for things you want to support would probably be the most easiest, straightforward way to help, but it really will need cooperation between the higher ups. That and entering the super mainstream somehow.
Nov 4, 2016 9:00 AM

Sep 2015
What will you exactly earn if they care about western market ?
Nov 4, 2016 9:05 AM

Sep 2014
I think its coming. Between the slowly increasing popularity of anime in the west and the easier market entry through streaming sites such as Netflix. It will be slow to happen though

Nov 4, 2016 9:07 AM

Jul 2014
Keep shitposting, one day senpai will notice us.
Nov 4, 2016 9:08 AM

Jul 2014
Z-Dante said:

( or drop another nuke! )
They have Onii sama, nuke is like a toy.
Nov 4, 2016 9:30 AM

Jan 2015
Lollo36 said:

They already do. We've seen countless co-productions, from Space Dandy to Dimension W to Kiznaiver to Shelter to FLCL S2 etc. (not to mention all those Kickstarter projects like Little Witch Academia, Under the Dog or Kick-Heart)

Crunchy has partnered with Kadokawa and is an active part of every production committee associated with it.

Anime like Terra Formars got 2nd seasons just because of the interest they generated overseas.

Japanese studios and publishers constantly ask for what's popular in the west, Crunchy and other streaming sites use a system that funnels the subscribers' money to the producers of the most successful shows on the site, letting Japan know what the big hits are, and rewarding them for catering to our tastes.

This isn't 2005, we do matter.

Finally some one with a good answer.
Nov 4, 2016 9:36 AM

Jul 2014
A proper distribution method.

AKA. legal download service, like a Steam for anime, AKA. probably never.

A proper streaming service with licenses for everything, in all territories would be enough to convince a lot of other people though. I don't rent entertainment however.
Nov 4, 2016 9:44 AM

Aug 2008
If the west decided to pay them? As long as no money given to them, there's no reason for them to cater western taste.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Nov 4, 2016 10:11 AM

Jun 2014
GangsterCat said:
there is already shitton of bookstore for manga

Not where I'm from. There is no such thing as "Book Stores" where I live. I have to buy all my Manga and DVDs online, and pay to have them shipped to my house.

Nov 4, 2016 10:28 AM

Nov 2013
It's too shitty for them to care about it.
Nov 4, 2016 10:31 AM

Mar 2016
The West has terrible taste. We don't need to be pandered to any more than we already are.
Nov 4, 2016 10:38 AM

Dec 2009
The anime market should take a lesson from the visual novel market.

Visual novel makers didn't really give a hoot about the western market until Danganronpa made a killing due to easy distribution (Steam). Now many visual novel makers are flooding steam with hopes of breaking into the western market.

I think the situation with buying BDs can't really compare to digitally downloading a game though.
Nov 4, 2016 12:23 PM
Feb 2014
Having foreign Antifa and Black Lives Matter activists flown in from all around the world and having die ins in front of studios. Don't bring any tranquilizers and other medications while you're at it. Voice over sanity.
Nov 4, 2016 1:52 PM

Mar 2016
The west would have to stop being so arrogant and ethnocentric.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Nov 4, 2016 1:58 PM

Feb 2015
I don't know... I just fap, and don't know anything...

I don't know... Probably... Maybe...
Nov 4, 2016 2:16 PM

Jul 2015
Why should they, do they make Bugs Bunny cartoons for the Japanese market? It would ruin anime if they tried to cater to the Western market anyway.
Nov 4, 2016 4:25 PM

Jun 2014
DeplorableNico said:
Having foreign Antifa and Black Lives Matter activists flown in from all around the world and having die ins in front of studios. Don't bring any tranquilizers and other medications while you're at it. Voice over sanity.

Then have all the angry American parents rush to the studios because they need to protect the children and make America great again!
Nov 4, 2016 4:27 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
cwtgcheese said:
The West has terrible taste. We don't need to be pandered to any more than we already are.

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

I wouldn't mind the Japs caring even less than they already do about the west, truth be told.

Nov 4, 2016 4:44 PM

Oct 2015
The western anime fanbase on the whole is nothing but a group of horrifically-entitled subgroups flinging shit at each other, not sure why you would want to pander to them.

And if you want a purely western experience then I'm not sure why you chose anime as a hobby.
Nov 4, 2016 4:56 PM

Feb 2011
Truly, the Japanese clearly forgot where their place is. How dare these filthy Japanese not pander to superior Westerners?

Seriously, just because you like a foreign medium doesn't mean that these foreigners have to cater to your tastes now. If they did, it would kinda disrupt the "foreign-ness". And I dare say that it's that, that many attract to anime in the first place. And even if it's not, that's not the problem of the creators of anime.

Nov 4, 2016 5:46 PM

Aug 2016
Well the answer is very simple: Militarily occupy them again.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

81 by Spunkert »»
6 minutes ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 5 hours ago

19 by maya2003s »»
9 minutes ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 5 hours ago

13 by -KurumiTokisaki »»
11 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Yesterday

25 by Spunkert »»
13 minutes ago

» What anime song (intro, outro, j-pop) of the ringtone do you use right now?

Kiryotsu - 4 hours ago

12 by Ahiru89 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.