Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 11, 2016 11:52 AM

Mar 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I had a really great time with the movie. I held my pee till the end of the movie and if you've not watch the movie, here is a tip for you... wait till the after credits.
Check out my channel!
Erzat
Aug 13, 2016 12:36 AM

Dec 2012
Watched it on the second day of release in theaters in Malaysia. I really enjoyed it! I especially enjoyed Nyx as a character (RIP Nyx) and learning about the world and the background of FFXV. Main downside was that I thought the ending fight was pretty messy and lost me at some points, perhaps a too dragged out so I didn't enjoy the action at the end that much.

Story was nothing special, but if you take a look at this being more of an introduction to the background story of FFXV instead of it being standalone, it is definitely forgivable.

A little tease of Noctis & Co. after the credits. Not too much of a fan of Lunafreya's character design.
Aug 13, 2016 1:01 AM

Mar 2010
ClawViper said:
Watched it on the second day of release in theaters in Malaysia. I really enjoyed it! I especially enjoyed Nyx as a character (RIP Nyx) and learning about the world and the background of FFXV. Main downside was that I thought the ending fight was pretty messy and lost me at some points, perhaps a too dragged out so I didn't enjoy the action at the end that much.

Story was nothing special, but if you take a look at this being more of an introduction to the background story of FFXV instead of it being standalone, it is definitely forgivable.

A little tease of Noctis & Co. after the credits. Not too much of a fan of Lunafreya's character design.

What a coincidence! I watched it in Malaysia as well. I have to agree though, the movie does serve to be a good intro background story rather than a standalone movie. People should go in expecting to see a prequel that answers questions to what happened prior to Noctis's story.

I personally think Luna looks gorgeous, don't you think that the changes were minuscule? I mean they only had her tied up her hair compare to the previous version.
Check out my channel!
Erzat
Aug 19, 2016 4:20 PM

Jun 2012
Just watched it today. I really enjoyed the action sequences. The final battle at the end was epic, Nyx was kicking ass.

I didnt like most of the dub voices, so Im looking forward to seeing the subbed version. I was bummed that there wasnt much of Noctis except for the end. Mad hyped for the game now.
Aug 21, 2016 3:04 AM
Jul 2007
I'm hoping Nyx is not dead even though it's very likely he did die...
Aug 22, 2016 1:42 PM

Mar 2008
It was muuuuch better than I've expected! It satisfied me and my other FF-fan friends. We had so much fun watching it. Some actions scenes were so messy at the end, especially during colossus fights. But overall Kingsglaive is an awesome prequel movie. I can't wait to play the game.
Aug 25, 2016 1:43 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Didn't even know my local-ish theater had this until the last day! Glad I made it for the last showing :)

The movie itself was alright though, anyone who doesn't know what FFXV is about would be like wtf lol. Then again they mostly likely wouldn't watch it, or at least not pay money to watch it. I didn't know Sean Bean was voicing a character, and then at the credits I was like which character that died did he voice. Not surprisingly, he voiced one of the guys who died :( Really liked the king. Wonder how Noctis react upon hearing the news. It's sad that people thought he was a coward who just hid behind the wall, when they don't understand how tough it is to be in his position holding that power...and getting weaker. But it makes sense that there are people who don't believe that King Regis was doing a good job as king, some efforts and the decision-making process aren't known to regular citizens. Still sad though.

Lunafreya was portrayed in kind of a stupid manner imo, my friends thought the same as well. She felt a bit one dimensional.

Nyx was amazing though, of course. Got to have your cool and "heroic" protagonist. The Kingsglaive felt like Assassins Creed, lol. Especially in the very beginning when they were first seen. Really enjoyed the action scenes, although I have to say it was sort of overkill at the end. While the teleporting was awesome and fun to watch, it's sort of hard to follow because of the high pace action, my eyes were going all over the place trying to see where the characters are. I wasn't the only who thought that either. Still, I did enjoy most of the action, it's very unique. The 3D models are soooo good, some of them more than others, could be mistaken for a real life person.

But yeah, as a standalone, it's meh. But as part of FFXV, a good intro to what happened at Lucis as opposed as what we'll be seeing in the game.

Also, did anybody's theater all laugh when Nyx was just knocking past the guards while they were like "hey man, you can't go there." He did that twice lmaaoooo (or was it three times). Seriously, most useless guards ever, they need to be fired.

As for the voices, I actually liked pretty much all of them, especially Aaron Paul as Nyx and Sean Bean as King Regis. I just kind of get annoyed whenever the British accent is used for royalty. Just a nitpick. I do like the Japanese cast for the boy band better though :P The after credits scene was hilarious, despite the short length. Probably because the whole movie was so serious.
tingyAug 25, 2016 1:50 AM
Aug 25, 2016 3:05 AM

Mar 2009
I watch it for the beautiful CGI, the plot is alright.

I watch the English dub, cringing so hard when the counselor hat talks. What's his name again? The kind of character archetype only Keiji Fujiwara voice can pull off. The kind of vanilla villain, playful and all humour.

Yep, not fan of Luna's characterization in this movie, hopefully the game will do justice.
AireenaAug 26, 2016 5:19 AM

Aug 25, 2016 5:17 PM

May 2015
The CGI was awesome. Story was straightforward. Music was good. The characters though...Well the voice acting was good IMO. The dialogue was rather...eh...cheesy. I think we can all agree with Luna not having the best characterization...

Also...is it just me, or does Kingsglaive (or FFXV in general) pay several homages to FFVI?
Warning! FFVI spoilers ahead!
Aug 26, 2016 2:57 AM
Oct 2015
the only regret of this animation is the fighting scene is just too dark, im not sure whether is this because of the cinema or the movie its own. The whole fighting scene is just too blur, and particle is even clearer than the character itself
Aug 26, 2016 10:09 AM

Oct 2014
tingy said:
I didn't know Sean Bean was voicing a character, and then at the credits I was like which character that died did he voice.
Exactly what I experienced as well! Hahaha.
(*゚∀゚)ノ
Aug 27, 2016 1:32 AM

Jun 2009
Just watched this, thought it was pretty good. Action was great and it certainly got me even more hype for the game. Pity that the four guys from the game are pretty much absent from the movie. I thought that Lena Headey was kind of a weird choice to play Luna considering the fact that she's like double her age.
loghneckbeardAug 27, 2016 4:49 AM
Aug 28, 2016 3:49 PM
Jul 2007
tingy said:

Also, did anybody's theater all laugh when Nyx was just knocking past the guards while they were like "hey man, you can't go there." He did that twice lmaaoooo (or was it three times). Seriously, most useless guards ever, they need to be fired.

I saw the first showing in L.A (8/19), so it was a full house and rowdy theater at late night. Nearly the whole theater laughed through the whole guards sequence up to the king's chamber. People laughed at the obvious comedic moments like the choboco turd joke, the chocobo van. The other unintentional funny moments were when the Rebellion leader guy got killed very quick, Lunafreya's "He's my brother" line (Which i did NOT find funny but ended up laughing because the whole theater lost their shit. There was an awkward timing to the delivery of the line that made it funny and her brother did get owned, so it was like she was bashing her own brother unintentionally), the part where Nyx is staring at the tracking trinket likening the whole experience to his dead sister (NOT FUNNY but people lost their marbles on that), Lunafreya's subservient 'robotic' lines about destiny and fate, and some of her lines when she's being driven in the car, and a random part after the malboro cartoon and Nyx was in his boxers a lot of people laughed at that (:/ i had to brain storm and came up with the explanation that his pants were so tight and leather??) And I thought I HAD a weird sense of humor... Watching it with a whole theater of people made the corny parts stick out a lot more. A solo viewing would have been less comedic. I still remember the parts vividly because it was shocking how weird the audiences' sense of humor was compared to mine... I've never felt so out of place in a theater before XD lol; I literally did not find a lot of parts that people laughed at funny... I'm usually the one laughing and everyone is quiet, but it was the opposite in this movie. You would think the whole theater would burst out laughing at the Ultros part where shes wrapped up in a tentacle but the theater was pretty tame during that sequence, or the volume was too loud to hear the laughs. FF fans are a whole different beast. And I'd have to assume a lot of people were looking more for faults than trying to enjoy the story experience, which is a shame. Should have had a thing in the beginning saying please turn off your cell phones and YOUR LAUGHS.
eraltergAug 28, 2016 4:20 PM
Aug 28, 2016 9:34 PM
Oct 2007
Wasn't bad, wasn't great. I liked the Ultros cameo (and the demons kind of look like Emerald Weapon in FFVII or maybe Bahamut), and Sean Bean dying, as he always does. Plot felt like a mashup of several FF games. Magical crystal protecting city (Type 0)l, ubber fighting force (Soldier, Class Zero, SeeD, etc), Machine Empire vs Magic Empire (FFVI, Type 0)
Aug 30, 2016 3:57 AM

Mar 2015
This movie seems very polarizing. I liked the action and Nyx's character. However, blending anime tropes in a movie doesn't seem to work.

Last fight was awesome as long as I could understand what was going on.

Well, at least Sean Bean dies.
DoomdoctorAug 30, 2016 11:42 AM
Aug 30, 2016 6:03 AM
Jul 2018
This movie make a premier in my country two weeks ago. Kinda sad atm that I can't watch it because only playing at a couple of selected cinema across the country(not any in my state sadly). But now that I have watched it, it wasn't that much of a movie that I was hyped about. But still awesome movie is awesome because of the feeling when watching it. :)

As for my review, the dubs is so emotionless, the story feel stupid that when watching it all I was asking is why? what? why? what? Seriously the plot/story doesn't make sense. I cringe a lot while watching it. Also I actually was expecting this >
Kingsglaive is meant to tell a story concurrent with the events of the upcoming game, in which Prince Noctis and friends go on an epic road trip that, presumably, culminates with them saving the world in some grand fashion.

And shouldn't this be a prequel to Brotherhood then. Hmmm..... X(

P/s: The cringiest moment is when the princess said I don't fear death and jump out of that airship. Seriously best scene ever. OMG can't help but laugh out hard. (*≧▽≦)ノシ)))
Aug 30, 2016 9:22 PM

Dec 2011
Just watch it last night and the movie was quite good.Really like Nyx character and the visual was astonishing..
Aug 30, 2016 10:04 PM

Feb 2016
Kingsglaive has blown my mind away. the CGI is pretty sick in some part of scenes. battles and music are so awesome. since Advent Children,i still dont understand how Square Enix makes this movie so great
Aug 31, 2016 12:37 AM

Apr 2015
I loved it as a prequel to the game but I agree that it would be hella confusing for non ff gamers :p
One thing I didn't get was why show the king's death here and not the game itself? Were we supposed to know he dies before playing the game? :/
Aug 31, 2016 6:49 AM

Dec 2008
Raz1515 said:
I loved it as a prequel to the game but I agree that it would be hella confusing for non ff gamers :p
One thing I didn't get was why show the king's death here and not the game itself? Were we supposed to know he dies before playing the game? :/

I think it's possible that film events take place during game, cause battle in Insomnia was shown in early Versus XIII trailers and Noctis used to battle in there.
Aug 31, 2016 7:45 AM
Apr 2015
a little disappointed cus nyx dead... but as protagonist he way more better than visual kei brat ( noctis a true protagonist FF XV ) . i dont need chuunibyou protagonist to lead the game
davremedyAug 31, 2016 7:48 AM
Aug 31, 2016 7:59 AM

Mar 2015
the first ~40 mins were pretty boring but it started getting better and better after it. i kinda feel nyx would be a better protagonist for the story than noctis but the game isn't released yet to judge. the music was pretty amazing, the art was pretty good for cgi (kinda felt like a 2-hour-long blizzard cutscene) and the voice acting (in english) was good too. now i'm even more hyped for the game than before
Aug 31, 2016 12:42 PM

Jan 2014
Very good movie, can't wait till the game comes out now
Aug 31, 2016 11:59 PM

Jan 2014
Okay characters and very bad pacing. Very bad voice acting for English too, way too off.... maybe the Jap dub will be better. This is not a good movie if I'm not actually hyped for the game.... too much things for set-ups. Well a good prologue nonetheless...

Definitely a treat for the eyes though. This is probably a glimpse to all future live action movies when CGI is good enough and cheap enough to replace live acting. Definitely better than Warcraft's CGI too.
Don't attribute maliciousness when stupidity is enough to explain what happens
Sep 1, 2016 12:26 AM

Jan 2016
This is coming from a final fantasy fanboy. This movie is great!!! Oh i like it so much. But it seems they hate female characters XD. Movie and in-game. Anyway this is an awesome movie. The game will flesh out the story more. I like the premise.
Sep 1, 2016 3:04 AM

Apr 2014
Raz1515 said:
in the 50 min gameplay video there's a scene talking about the events in the movie and the kings death.
Sep 1, 2016 3:11 AM

Apr 2015
O
fairygood said:
Raz1515 said:
in the 50 min gameplay video there's a scene talking about the events in the movie and the kings death.
oh so the producers want us to know all this before even watching the movie or playing the game, interesting :o
Sep 2, 2016 2:06 AM

May 2009
I never played a single FF game. Just want to check out this movie.

The CG and all the battle scene is fantastic. Nyx is awesome, that skill is just like Minato in Naruto.
Sep 3, 2016 6:28 PM
Apr 2016
Poor characterization for everyone except for Nix.

The technology still hasn't caught up with the faces.

English speakers reading a Japanese script is always cringeworthy.

The plot is paper thin.
Sep 4, 2016 2:16 PM

Feb 2014
best CGI movie I've ever seen! I really enjoyed the movie and can't wait to play the game! I also can't believe King Regis died!
Sep 5, 2016 4:45 PM

Nov 2014
This movie was epic as fuck.

Sep 12, 2016 6:51 PM
Apr 2015
I was slightly disappointed with the movie because of the story-line. In my opinion the CG was very good just like how I expected it to be from Square Enix, however there was a bit of animation especially the face that seems kind of unnatural and a small part of the sound that is over powering the voice of the character.

I thought the story-line was very bad lol, it was way too simple and not even interesting at all. To be honest I was expecting noctis to come and save the day but I guess that part is probably for part 2.

CG / Animation: 9/10
Sound: 8/10
Story:5-6/10
Sep 12, 2016 7:20 PM

Jan 2009
the king and father of Noctis died that was sad but the action was glorious, holy shit

i hope we can see Nyx again on the game
Sep 13, 2016 9:17 PM

Jan 2008
Oh man, so much hype for the game now.

Can't believe how many of the Kingsglaive went traitor. I mean a couple would be fine but it was like a good fraction of them entirely.

Was that tentacle monster suppose to be Ultros? And I'm guessing those demons are Ultima Weapons or variations of them? They look similar to the Weapon bosses from FF7, especially similar to Emerald Weapon's design with the core and all.

I really hope we get to see Nyx in game, even despite him supposedly dying because of using the ring, even if just mentions or flashbacks.

Surprised how many people are complaining about lack of characterization or story considering this is just suppose to be a build up and act as a prequel for the game.
PaulSep 13, 2016 9:20 PM
Sep 14, 2016 2:26 PM

Feb 2015
Nyx was a total badass! q(❂‿❂)p
Sep 14, 2016 2:41 PM

Nov 2012
is this subbed yet?
Sep 15, 2016 4:23 AM

Dec 2014
Ugh, sean bean dies again.... XD

johnyjohny said:
is this subbed yet?

Dubbed. The one i watched atleast.
Sep 15, 2016 9:08 AM

Nov 2012
testamentKAISER said:

johnyjohny said:
is this subbed yet?

Eng dubbed ? or jap dudbed?
Sep 15, 2016 1:53 PM

Dec 2014
johnyjohny said:
testamentKAISER said:

Eng dubbed ? or jap dudbed?

English.........
Sep 17, 2016 11:19 AM

Aug 2011
Great CGI... storyline is predictable and shallow. Still hyped me up for FFXV. Dat R8 doe
Sep 17, 2016 1:00 PM

Jan 2011
as far as history goes i was more engaged with this one compared to previous FF movies, i wish it had focused more on the rivaries between the kings though, i think that was one of the more interesting aspects
beautiful CG an ghreat action scenes as well (they the final battle was a bit hard to understand)
i was surprised that they showed Ultros instead of well summons or chocobos

8/10... very enjoyable but the second half isnt as good an only a few characters are interesting

i didnt care about Final Fantay XV even when it was known as Versus XIII an it was the most hyped game of its time but now after watching this movie im a bit intrugued by it
Sep 18, 2016 2:54 PM

Sep 2014
Had a great time watching this movie. The Strongest point of this movie was its CGI animation its really wonderful. I am a huge fan of Squaresoft now Enix when it comes on their graphical presentation. Their pre-render scenes are always on different level IMO

As for the story its wasn't bad but nothing extraordinary. The action scenes were nice but sometimes they were too fast to fully understand what's going on.

Overall its was good ^^

Even though I am hyped for this game but alas I won't be playing the game when it comes out on November since I don't own a ps4. I envy those who will play it soon so here hoping someday it will come out on PC like 13 till then peace
xcaliber9999Sep 18, 2016 2:59 PM
Sep 20, 2016 10:27 PM

Jul 2016
Nyx is the man. Great character... why can't he be the protagonist of the game????

The CGI was excellent, the action was strong, the plot predictable and some characters designs (Nyx, Regis) were amazing and some more questionable (Canciller, Luna).

Nyx is awesome... I haven't grown fond so quickly for a FF character since our god Zak Fair.
Oct 7, 2016 2:23 AM

Jul 2007
God damn, that was fucking hype. Now I'm like REALLY wanting to play FF XV now. The story is going to be kick ass, villain duo reminds me of FF VI Kefka and Emperor Gestalh. Also the move build up quite a lot of things that will be in the story. I am so excited. You can see tabata has clearly went all out in terms of constructive a very ambitious and deep story and this is only the beginning.

I can see why people say they are way more interested in the game, after watching this film.

Modo942000 said:
the first ~40 mins were pretty boring but it started getting better and better after it. i kinda feel nyx would be a better protagonist for the story than noctis but the game isn't released yet to judge. the music was pretty amazing, the art was pretty good for cgi (kinda felt like a 2-hour-long blizzard cutscene) and the voice acting (in english) was good too. now i'm even more hyped for the game than before

Seeing the return of Nyx in the game is going to be just a riveting moment for fans.

Oct 7, 2016 2:06 PM

Jul 2012
Finally original audio track came out, but kinda had not the best watching experience cause of subs (probably were made for dub) and my japanese understanding is not that good.
It was a good movie, not amazing, but the hype for the game is even more now. Don't think there's a need to say anything about CGI.
One thing that i had in mind after the movie that Libertus had an easy way out, well he lost his sister, but still he didn't redeem himself at the end at all.
allenjkeOct 7, 2016 2:34 PM
Oct 10, 2016 9:14 AM

Oct 2012
I gotta say I enjoyed this movie a lot more than I thought I would! I was pretty pumped for Versus XIII back then in 2006 when it was announced and constantly lost my hype for it after years. Especially after the XIII series and Type-0 I lost my trust in Enix, but the anime and the movie made me interested in the story at least (still doubt the gameplay will be great, though).

I really liked the CGI style, the soundtrack was awesome, I liked some of the characters a lot like Nyx, Regis and Libertus and I thought the action was very well done. I didn't think the story was "bad" or predictable at all. Sure, it was nothing outstanding, but since I didn't read that much about the story of FF XV I didn't know about some of the characters deaths and the scheme of the villians.

Giving this a 9 for now, maybe degrading it to 8 later on.
Oct 11, 2016 7:26 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Motion picture film, with more action and sad final... nice.
The worst are the eyes of the characters, lifeless and more secuencies are squiting xD

7/10.
Oct 13, 2016 10:34 PM

Jan 2014
I don't believe Nyx is dead. The kings were either testing him or changed their minds and he's going to show back up in the game. I can't fucking wait.
Nov 24, 2016 2:15 AM

Jun 2016
Great movie
the beautiful CGI and the action sequences.... WoooW
A really wonderful movie
08/10 (y)
EG99
Nov 26, 2016 8:03 PM

Sep 2011
despite how amazing the visuals looked sometimes it becomes SUPER apparent that this is way more of a budget title than the trailer may lead it out to be. there just alot of cuts in this movie that are downright questionable and it just really felt like a ton of it didnt flow right.

The weridest part of it was no doubt the dialogue, especially when they were trying too hard to be a western blockbuster. Like the game from everything we've seen is super laid back in the dialogue and alot of the conversations are pretty natural feeling, and thats true for this movie.....exclusively for the main character nyx whilst everyone else is talking this faux shakespeare dialect.

that said the movie still had a pretty fucking exciting finale and they did make nyx successfully likable enough even when his backstory was so half assed. I cant help but shake the film really should of existed and that this all should of been a surprise 1st chapter of the game where you play as nyx sort of like hor KH2 tricks you out with roxas.

overall, id give it a 6, its a good film buried underneath mishandled execution but it was still a fun ride, and the last 20 minutes were fun as shit to watch. I do question how well someone who hasnt followed the game's surrounding details to understand it though, i mean on one hand its made exclusively for them, but on the other i think i understand why some western critics said it makes no sense when really its a pretty easy to follow story, almost insultingly simple, but i think thats cause im already aware of alot of concepts and plot points in the game.

Jotakak said:
I don't believe Nyx is dead. The kings were either testing him or changed their minds and he's going to show back up in the game. I can't fucking wait.
Nyx looks pretty fucking dead but we also dont know if XV will have any ghost relate plotpoints, its kind of looking like ardyn might be an unsent spirit of some sort judging by one of the trailers.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Hmmmm

Gazz - Dec 5, 2017

1 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Jul 11, 2021 5:22 PM

» Should This Even be considered anime?

KazuroWeisemann - Mar 31, 2016

38 by Skittles »»
Nov 21, 2016 5:57 PM

» Wikipedia External Link needs updated.

Captain_Levi - Mar 31, 2016

0 by Captain_Levi »»
Mar 31, 2016 3:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.