Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 9, 2016 5:44 AM

Apr 2014
Bourmegar said:
Question:
Is ecchi a genre or a sub-genre?
It's a genre, as there are entire shows dedicated to ecchi.
Aug 9, 2016 5:51 AM

Oct 2014
Milk_is_Special said:
Bourmegar said:
Question:
Is ecchi a genre or a sub-genre?
ok thank you, now to my answer for this thread.

To be honest I find ecchi to be the weakest (Horror is second).
Mostly because Ecchi needs other Genres (Mostly comedy) more than other genres do to make its show work.
Aug 9, 2016 6:24 AM

Feb 2016
Bourmegar said:
Milk_is_Special said:
ok thank you, now to my answer for this thread.

To be honest I find ecchi to be the weakest (Horror is second).
Mostly because Ecchi needs other Genres (Mostly comedy) more than other genres do to make its show work.

ofc no, you will find tons of people on MAL and all of community who watch ecchi just for the ecchiness :D

I think Josei is the weakest as i dont see many shows of this genre at all and even less good ones. (not mentioning obvious choices liek Yaoi, Yuri, Shounen Ai)
SpaghettiSpikeAug 9, 2016 6:29 AM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Aug 9, 2016 6:24 AM

Apr 2016
Mecha,most of the viewers tend to hate it.
Aug 9, 2016 6:26 AM
Nov 2015
Horror +1
Anime really suck in that genre. There's no decent horror anime (Another is the only one I liked)
And reverse harem ? I don't like those kind of show.
Aug 9, 2016 6:26 AM

Feb 2010
Idk, probably gritty, real crime drama. It don't really exist.

RoyTF said:

Yeah, no. That is factually wrong.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 9, 2016 6:35 AM

Feb 2016
For me it would be dementia. Horror is pretty weak as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 9, 2016 6:49 AM

Feb 2016
Mangashines said:
For me it would be dementia. Horror is pretty weak as well.

i wonder why so many people mention it, yet http://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/5/Dementia
I probably dont understand what 'weakest' means anyway
mirocj said:
RoyTF said:

Umm is mecha a genre or just a sub genre of the action genre?

i think mecha is too big and wide of a genre to be called a subgenre :D
SpaghettiSpikeAug 9, 2016 6:54 AM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Aug 9, 2016 6:52 AM

Jul 2013
RoyTF said:

Aug 9, 2016 7:00 AM

Mar 2008
mirocj said:
RoyTF said:

Well, that depends: how would you classify Westerns?

Z-Dante said:
Mecha... I guess...

IMHO, giant fighting robots just don't make very good waifus

And yet, mecha has birthed some of the most iconic waifus of all time. So even the worst genre has its merits.
Aug 9, 2016 7:07 AM
Jul 2018
Horror is really, really weak most of the time, Ecchi would be a close second.
Aug 9, 2016 9:54 AM

Jan 2011
Careful what you say about Ecchi certain user gets salty when he attack his waifus.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Aug 9, 2016 1:49 PM

Aug 2010
i guess i could agree to horror. Its weak due to it being pretty under represented.

i think romance is pretty weak. I find in the majority of cases, romance is just poorly done. My biggest problem with romance being how one dimensional the males are. How the females are lucky if they even get 1 dimension. And then all the circumstances are super unbelievable.

this is my problem with romance in most media, not just anime.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Aug 9, 2016 1:56 PM

Jan 2015
Horror is definitely one of the weakest genres. Horror just doesn't transfer well into animation, I guess.
Aug 9, 2016 1:57 PM

Dec 2013
RoyTF said:

Do you have some kind of brain damage?
Aug 9, 2016 2:42 PM

Aug 2014
In my opinion it is Horror, I can't help it, I've never felt any horror from watching anime, still waiting for that, if someone has a really scary anime recommendation I'll be glad.
Aug 9, 2016 2:52 PM

Oct 2015
Bourmegar said:

an interesting reasoning there.
sth. to ponder over - thanks.

--------------------
(me I don't have enough experience with anime to give an answer to original question. And since I simply avoid genres I do not like, I probably never will …)
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Aug 9, 2016 11:03 PM
Mar 2016
If we say anime series, then horror. Not because anime is pretty, but because most anime series are TV series, you know Japan censorship (but at least it's not China censorship). Also not-so-very-great directing can affect.
Idk if Re:Zero is horror, but look how "horrifying" Re:Zero gore is. The gore's watered down compared to the manga.
Aug 9, 2016 11:09 PM

Dec 2015
>horrors are only for edgelord fans

>SOL is the most boring genre

>Romance is not my interest
Aug 9, 2016 11:39 PM

Jan 2014
Reverse Harem.

All the dudes look like ladies and plot is always shoved in the background...

Good reverse harems only exist in VNs (btwreadnorn9itsfuckingamazing)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 9, 2016 11:42 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Everything that isn't harem/ecchi/CGDCT is weak and below that of the glorious master genres

Aug 10, 2016 12:02 AM

May 2013
horror and mystery

both have great anime, but sadly not enough of them
Aug 10, 2016 12:25 AM

May 2014
Well, like pretty much everyone said: horror. At best I've seen anime that managed to create a very strange, oppressive and discomfortable atmosphere. I heard that Boogiepop Phantom has a similar one to Lain and is even more horrific btw.

Margarinefly said:
Lolicon. That shit is so weird. I don't have any pedophilic urges so I'm not into it you know?

Nice for you, not that we particularly care about your kinks though. Heck, lolicon isn't even a genre of anime.
Aug 10, 2016 12:35 AM

Sep 2015
Mecha or Sci-fi ı guess yes i did watch some but overall they are bad for me atleast.
Aug 10, 2016 7:03 AM

Sep 2011
Ecchi and/or harem tend to be very bad. Inverse-harem is pretty much cancer.
Aug 10, 2016 7:24 AM

Mar 2015
Horror and harem, mostly I say that harem is worst. They're all just the same, and until you like it, seeing one harem can be painful.
Aug 10, 2016 7:29 AM

Dec 2014
For me the weakest genre iss the one who interest me the least:
- then horror would be one of them, despise liking some horor anime like Shikki and Ghost Story.
- Idols: if this can be considered a genre... I just simply can't stand those Idols anime. Mostly because they present some sort of idealistic bright happyidol life, when the reallity is far from that. It gives me the impression that they are created to attract young naive girls in that shitty idustry.
Aug 10, 2016 7:47 AM

Apr 2014
The weakest has to be Harem, it probably has less than 5 shows that I'd consider as good, second weakest is horror for the fact that it also has the minority of good shows, under 10 I'd say. I'm happy with the rest of the genres, I think they all have enough amount of shows to support the genre. We need more quality horror shows, harem is a bit hard as I think it's a very hard genre to make something good of.
Aug 10, 2016 7:57 AM
Jul 2018
Probably Harem. I can't remember a single great Harem anime, no matter how hard I try.

Actually... there might be one. Gundam IBO technically has a harem in it, but I'm not sure it counts.
Aug 10, 2016 7:58 AM

Sep 2012
Horror. Nothing in horror anime is actually scary, it's there more to tell you that there's blood and gore and spoopy backgrounds instead.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Aug 10, 2016 8:10 AM

Mar 2016
Ecchi I think, like go watch some hentai if you wanna see boobs

Aug 10, 2016 8:11 AM
Aug 2015
@Milk_is_Special agree the series comes of as more shaun of the dead
then 48days later

MasterHavik "Red/Blue Wild Battle Music" a wild harem/ecchi fan appeared
Aug 10, 2016 9:07 AM

Feb 2015
Ecchi, because it literally gives me cancer from watching it.
Aug 10, 2016 9:35 AM
Sep 2010
Ecchi/Harem They literally serve no purpose to me. It's fan service with shit stories 9/10. I don't watch those genres anymore for a reason..........
Aug 10, 2016 9:42 AM

Dec 2013
Harem, I just can't stand it.
It's so lame.
JoJo is life!! You should know that.
Aug 10, 2016 10:18 AM

Sep 2014
Comedy, definitely. The humour is pretty damn bad majority of the time. Only few really funny anime among the mass.
Aug 10, 2016 10:25 AM
Dec 2013
Comedy. All that retorting is redundant. Characters just act like a bunch of clowns in them.
wildhoodAug 10, 2016 10:30 AM
Aug 10, 2016 11:53 AM

Jan 2011
I need to watch more harm show but the only one I like is Tenchi Muyo. The thing about that show is that every series not all the girls were after his dicks. I don't know why most harem anime can't realize that it makes a show crowded and hurts character development when you tries to ship multiple characters with one.

Oh Negima was another one, but even then the girls say the professor in different ways. It is like Japanese writers think every person of the other sex must have sexual feelings for him when it is the opposite.
Aug 10, 2016 12:10 PM

May 2015
In my opinion - romances. Everything is unnatural and have their conclusions at the end of series if at all are... *Can anyone send good romance up :DD?*
Fights are hard assumed because of low quality animation + 3D graphics ( destroyed second season of Berserk :<)
My english isn't very good but I think we can cooperate.
Invite if you'd like to meet me a little bit closer
From time to time leave your message in comment ☻

There are walls that can't be broken by power alone.
But if there is a power that can break though those walls,
it's a power of feelings.
~ Mavis

There are people in this world who prefer solitude.
But there is no one who can withstand it.
~ Makarov

Aug 10, 2016 12:14 PM

Aug 2016
For me it would have to be Harem. It is just so boring and plain for me and sometimes even sad tbh to see girls wanting one guy and him being just awful to them often.

signature and avatar by SenpieX
Aug 10, 2016 1:06 PM

Jan 2012
There are several genres I want to say are the weakest, but haven't seen enough anime labeled as them to feel right in making that claim.

To name a genre I have seen enough anime of, I'd go with School - Slice of Life. Why?

95% of anime that are labeled "School - Slice of Life":

Valentine's Day
Making and giving chocolate
A festival
Fire work show
Summer Break
Christmas season
Sporting event
Amusement park trip
Test of Courage
Study day/date
Talking in circles instead of getting to the point

Every anime that is a slice of life where the main set is also a school pretty much looks exactly what I listed above. There is little to no originality and they basically do the exact same thing in each school based slice of life. Usually I do find these anime good to above average (6-7/10) but I would say it's the weakest due to the lack of originality. I know a lot of anime under the same genre have similar elements, but each school slice of life has to be the worst in hose regards.
Aug 10, 2016 1:16 PM

Jul 2015
To me, it's Mecha anime, these types of anime have become so passe, and I never was too crazy about them anyway.
Aug 10, 2016 1:27 PM

Aug 2014
For me, it's definitely Horror. I haven't watched many Horror just because of how low most of the ratings are on them.

Maybe Vampire too.
Aug 10, 2016 3:25 PM

Sep 2013
Japanese Horror doesn't want to scare or else it would be full of those stupids jump scares you find in western games/films.
For me the weakest genre is Josei since i barely watched any.
Hope is painful...
Aug 10, 2016 4:13 PM

Nov 2015
Genre that fails to entertain me = Mystery and Horror.
Genre that fails on plot = Ecchi and harem.
Aug 10, 2016 4:28 PM

Jan 2014
Comedy, with my English humor anime isn't something I'd watch looking for laughs, that being said there is some funny stuff out there
Aug 10, 2016 4:34 PM

Jan 2011
Man I know how to generate effective discussion.
Aug 10, 2016 6:42 PM

Jun 2013
Comedy, horror and dementia
those 3 are weak in my opinion..

u might replace dem with drama as it seems that drama based animes are a bit on the low side (since every animes gets the drama tag nowadays)
Aug 10, 2016 6:53 PM
Jul 2018
When it comes to searching anime,I find shoujo is definitely weakest,no good mal rating either.But shojo manga looks good although.
Aug 10, 2016 7:00 PM

Jul 2016
Mecha is by far the weakest for me,as you can see I haven't explored much anime to comment on this post but from what I have seen (shonen,fantasy,thriller,slice of life) mecha was the weakest because it is the same thing over and over with wars happening
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ? ( 1 2 3 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 7

104 by Hiiranokakera »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime with better sequels than the original

ST63LTH - 3 hours ago

7 by Nirinbo »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » how many of your favorite characters are evil?

deg - May 12

9 by ForeverTraitor »»
21 minutes ago

» Describe an anime with zoomer language

ZakuF_ - May 1

15 by DX_impulse »»
29 minutes ago

Poll: » are mal reviews full of destructive criticism or constructive criticism?

deg - May 3

28 by Alriven »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.