Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 8, 2016 9:52 PM

Jan 2011
No matter the era(so back off okay brigade)...time period...waifu wars....there has always been a genre of anime that I could never get into. What is that genre? Well it has to be horror. I can't name one good horror anime that was good. HOTD was bad(just speaking of anime.). Monster from what I have seen is oaky but has poor pacing. School days...is well it's school days nuff said. Corpse party is an edgelord fest.

I find horror to be the weakest genre of anime for me...which is a shame since I have enjoyed many horror films from Japan. What is the weakest genre for you when it comes to anime? It doesn't matter the decade or era. So no this isn't me bashing the 2010s again.
MasterHavikAug 8, 2016 10:00 PM
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 8, 2016 9:57 PM

Feb 2015
Probably for me... It would be Drama.... Though some of the tearjerker animes I've seen, are great in my opinion...
Second would be... Horror, if its just random gore and too much blood... It's tiresome and boring... I'd rather look at my terrifying life than watch some petty gore anime...
Aug 8, 2016 10:06 PM

Oct 2014
Horror is a very weak genre. I also don't personally like mystery anime, although my MALGraph on that begs to differ. Dementia is a horrible genre for the most part, but if you exclude experimental shorts then it's basically just a more intense version of the psychological genre which can be very interesting.
Aug 8, 2016 10:08 PM

Jul 2012
definitely horror, as it usually turns out to be cheap and targeted towards teens, like another or mayoiga.

also, romance because majority of romance-tagged anime are just teasers where the couple only happens at the end. we need more series that tackle it like honey and clover.
Aug 8, 2016 10:10 PM

Jul 2016
For me, I think dementia and horror. I think I'm biased with the horror because I'm not a fan of it.
Aug 8, 2016 10:13 PM

Apr 2015
Horror and mystery for me. I obviously do like shows with those tags, especially horror since it's one of my favorite genres not only in anime but lots of shows like them just are so underplayed to me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2016 10:19 PM

Apr 2014
All these horror haters have probably just not seen enough good horror, or expect horror to make them crap their pants or something when it's really not.
OT: For me, some weak genres are SOL and Shoujo, since I'm usually pretty aware of what to expect from them. Their formula gets used over and over again, and if I'm not in the mood for that formula, I am literally dragging my feet through mud to get through them. But when I am in the mood, they're a nice way to pass the time. Currently enjoying the airing shoujo anime Orange.
Aug 8, 2016 10:19 PM

Jan 2011
I hope everyone is being honest here. You don't have to agree with me. I just threw Horror out there because I realize it's the one genre where I can't find a show to like.
Aug 8, 2016 10:26 PM

Jan 2014
I think horror/mystery is probably a safe choice.

But I'm going to say comedy. I've never really watched an anime or read a manga which had my dying of laughter. Funny moments with a few giggles, sure. But a show dedicated to comedy from episode 1 to the end? It's truly a tough task.
Aug 8, 2016 10:26 PM
Jul 2013
Lolicon. That shit is so weird. I don't have any pedophilic urges so I'm not into it you know?
Aug 8, 2016 10:28 PM

Nov 2012
horror genre is definitely the weakest for me too, there are some horror tagged anime that i do like, but the amount of shitty ones i've seen exceeds that.
Aug 8, 2016 10:30 PM

Jan 2011
I swear when I make these threads. I get some brutally honest answers out of people.
Aug 8, 2016 10:30 PM

Oct 2014
@Protaku I've heard that good horror anime are quite rare so if you only see a few horror anime in your life chances are most of them will suck. SoL is a very diverse genre since pretty much any anime is SoL at some point. I would even go as far to say that SoL anime are only differentiated from action anime by the ratio of action to SoL. Railgun is one of the rare anime where the ratio is actually quite close to 50:50, meaning it could be considered either. Angel Beats! is also a pretty even split.

Shoujo is a demographic and includes everything from Happy Happy Clover to X. Even Code Geass should be classified as shoujo. Four of my ten favourite anime are shoujo. If you're only talking about generic shoujo romance anime then yes, it is a predictable genre, but any genre that requires that many adjectives is bound to be.
Aug 8, 2016 10:45 PM

Apr 2014
zombie_pegasus said:
@Protaku I've heard that good horror anime are quite rare so if you only see a few horror anime in your life chances are most of them will suck. SoL is a very diverse genre since pretty much any anime is SoL at some point. I would even go as far to say that SoL anime are only differentiated from action anime by the ratio of action to SoL. Railgun is one of the rare anime where the ratio is actually quite close to 50:50, meaning it could be considered either. Angel Beats! is also a pretty even split.

Shoujo is a demographic and includes everything from Happy Happy Clover to X. Even Code Geass should be classified as shoujo. Four of my ten favourite anime are shoujo. If you're only talking about generic shoujo romance anime then yes, it is a predictable genre, but any genre that requires that many adjectives is bound to be.

You know what, I'm not even going to lie, according my MALgraph, horror is objectively my least favorite genre. But that's only because you're correct in the fact that good horror anime are quite rare and I take it upon myself to prove or disprove if a horror anime is good or not by watching it, since subjectively it's actually one of my favorite genres. But like I said before, horror anime aren't always meant to scare you, so a lot of people end up getting disappointed when they watch a horror anime and don't get that rush you get from watching an American horror film.

I like horror because there is variety, and that's not to say SOL of anime don't have variety, but I can literally just pull up the airing anime this season and pick and choose some ten SOL anime to watch this season, while I'm not even sure if there're any horror anime airing this season besides the fail that is Berserk (2016), and we've only had subpar horrors for the past few seasons anyway. It's like anime studios can't trust horror anime to sell well, so they opt for giving them the CGI treatment which is disappointing really. Horror is just considered a weak genre for all the wrong reasons if you ask me.
Aug 8, 2016 10:56 PM

May 2014
Horror would be my choice as well, it's not that there aren't any good ones, but the horror tagged anime that I've seen are mostly bad.

I've probably not seen enough horror anime to pass that judgement though, so my second option is romance.

Not romance-tagged anime, but anime that try to have major focus on romance. I've seen very few shows that can actually pull it off.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Aug 8, 2016 10:57 PM

Nov 2013
Drama. Very few actually make me care enough to get the feelz. Usually because of poorly written characters or drama.
Aug 8, 2016 11:05 PM

Oct 2014
@Protaku Historically horror has always been known as a genre that is easy to do poorly and hard to do well. While action could be described the same way, horror has been mostly produced by amateurs and has been associated with low quality. Just as how School Days tried to make the harem genre interesting and has been shunned for doing so it's hard for a production company to see any value in attempting to show people that the horror genre doesn't have to be bad since the reception of their own show may be even worse. Japan has a different definition of horror, as you were saying, so something that did well there may be seen as "a failure to scare" over here. They don't use jump scares or shaky cameras so it is a different theme.

SoL isn't so much a genre as it is a tag or a theme. Harems generally come in two types: battle harem and school harem, the former being action and the latter being SoL. There are also two general types of shounen anime: battle shounen and gag comedy shounen, same classifications. Shoujo have the two standards of mahou shoujo and romance shoujo, again one is action and one is SoL. Drama and music could be seen as being outside of the binary, but I think they're closer to SoL. In a way it's like how rock and pop are the most popular genres of music and you could classify any song as being closer to one of the two even if it's from a different genre.
Aug 8, 2016 11:08 PM

Sep 2009
I agree, horror is very weak in anime. There were some good ones like Higurashi, Shiki, and Serial Experiments Lain, but they weren't good because of the horror aspect.

For me, it'd have to be ecchi-harem, because 99% of the are crap and don't even do their job properly.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Aug 8, 2016 11:08 PM

Dec 2014
Protaku said:
All these horror haters have probably just not seen enough good horror, or expect horror to make them crap their pants or something when it's really not.
OT: For me, some weak genres are SOL and Shoujo, since I'm usually pretty aware of what to expect from them. Their formula gets used over and over again, and if I'm not in the mood for that formula, I am literally dragging my feet through mud to get through them. But when I am in the mood, they're a nice way to pass the time. Currently enjoying the airing shoujo anime Orange.

Can you give some examples of this pants ruining horror you speak of because all I ever come accross is excessive gore that tries too hard to be scary and fails.
Aug 8, 2016 11:12 PM

Apr 2015
I'd say good iyashikeis and light comedy SOLs are more or less the best thing anime has to offer in relation to other media.

Haven't watched enough to single out a worst genre but I see where people are going with Romance and Horror
Aug 8, 2016 11:13 PM

Feb 2016
vampire, dementia, and horror.
because the 3d version are much appealing than 2d or anime version
Aug 8, 2016 11:17 PM

Aug 2008
I said horror. Ghost Hunt is the only horror anime that bring scares in me.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 8, 2016 11:25 PM

Apr 2014
desusama said:
Protaku said:

Can you give some examples of this pants ruining horror you speak of because all I ever come accross is excessive gore that tries too hard to be scary and fails.

Yami Shibai is about the closest thing to the scenario you're asking about. And horror is largely considered to just be bloody and gory in Japan, while in America it's meant to scare the socks off someone, as @zombie_pegasus was talking about. I don't get scared by guts and gore in American films either, as most people probably don't either. But anime watchers who aren't too experienced in the horror genre of anime set up an erroneous expectation of what to expect from said horror anime, and then end up leaving disappointed because there expectations weren't met. I was the exact same way when I started watching horror anime but now that I've got around to watching just about every horror anime most people can name, I've got a clearer idea of what the tag/genre is actually supposed to mean.
Aug 8, 2016 11:30 PM

Nov 2010
Horror : Because you can't really put fear in the Anime. (well maybe you could but haven't seen one so far. it's just need some kind of masterful director or writer to pull that off)
Yuri : Just because we don't have enough of it. hehe.
Aug 8, 2016 11:36 PM

Dec 2014

Yami Shibai is about the closest thing to the scenario you're asking about. And horror is largely considered to just be bloody and gory in Japan, while in America it's meant to scare the socks off someone, as @zombie_pegasus was talking about. I don't get scared by guts and gore in American films either, as most people probably don't either. But anime watchers who aren't too experienced in the horror genre of anime set up an erroneous expectation of what to expect from said horror anime, and then end up leaving disappointed because there expectations weren't met. I was the exact same way when I started watching horror anime but now that I've got around to watching just about every horror anime most people can name, I've got a clearer idea of what the tag/genre is actually supposed to mean.[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendation, I think you're right about the expectations bit though in my case it's not exactly just horror, for me anime in general when done well tends to get me more invested in the story than any other medium other than maybe books and since movies don't scare me I'm going to give anime a go.
Aug 8, 2016 11:38 PM

Jan 2011
MortalMelancholy said:
I agree, horror is very weak in anime. There were some good ones like Higurashi, Shiki, and Serial Experiments Lain, but they weren't good because of the horror aspect.

For me, it'd have to be ecchi-harem, because 99% of the are crap and don't even do their job properly.
I love when they cry...and yeah the horror aspect isn't why it's good. It knew how to build up to the horror aspect. The show had some great comedy. Amazing character interactions and made everyone memorable.
Aug 8, 2016 11:44 PM
Mar 2016
There probably isn't such genre but it's like humor in dark, dramatical and horror anime. For example AoT. Desperate, dramatical and bloody anime but forces in funny moments like calling Krista Goddess or something like that. I don't know I don't like it xD
Aug 9, 2016 12:06 AM

Jan 2011
Yakysann said:
There probably isn't such genre but it's like humor in dark, dramatical and horror anime. For example AoT. Desperate, dramatical and bloody anime but forces in funny moments like calling Krista Goddess or something like that. I don't know I don't like it xD
Oh you're talking about serious shows trying to shove comedy gags in.
Aug 9, 2016 12:08 AM

Apr 2013
I agree with most people that it has to be horror. It's just quite hard to make something look really horrifying in anime/cartoon.
Aug 9, 2016 12:20 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Horror is definitely pretty weak in anime most of the time. It's just hard to make cartoons scary

Sports is also not so good since it's all scripted which kills most of the excitement to me. Though this is not strictly an anime problem but rather a problem with all fiction-based media
Aug 9, 2016 12:21 AM

Sep 2015
Like most people here, I will say horror. And I think that's due to many horror anime and manga lacking strong narratives in general. Like Junji Ito's attention to detail in his drawings in Uzumaki can be really terrifying and creates an atmosphere where the reader can feel anxious. It did however, get boring after 10 or so chapters because there was little development in the story and not very much was done with the characters other than them being the victims of the horror events.
Aug 9, 2016 12:37 AM
Mar 2016
MasterHavik said:
Yakysann said:

Yeah that's it! I don't really like it. But wait is that even a genre? XD
Aug 9, 2016 12:42 AM

Jan 2011
Yakysann said:
MasterHavik said:

Yeah that's it! I don't really like it. But wait is that even a genre? XD
Nah, just really shitty writing. LOL it happens when you try to stuff all sub-genres into one show.
Aug 9, 2016 12:56 AM

Jun 2015
Horror. Not immersive enough. The best outlet for horror are games. Anime, least.

Next is reverse harem, cause most of them are shit. Sure there are good and great ones, but they're overshadowed by the quantity and quality of the bad ones.
Aug 9, 2016 1:08 AM
Jul 2015
Horror and comedy, by far. Those almost never work.
hi
Aug 9, 2016 1:11 AM

Jul 2015
horror : i liked a lot of horror movies but never liked a horror anime
shoujo : i dont have anything against romance , but the romance in shoujo is pathetic
Sol : i dont hate that genre but anime make it boring and painful to watch
sports : modern sports are all fujoshit (free , haikyuu,kuruko ,all out ....), old ones was better
Aug 9, 2016 1:17 AM

Jun 2015
Either horror or sports.

I love good horror, but overall with animation it's kind of hard to pull off. I think it's more to do with how hard it is to show fear in a cartoon character's face, or at least believable fear. The best horror movies I've seen are great because the emotion from the characters, not really the events happening.

The sports genre is overall just cliche and boring to me. There are a few gems, though.

Aug 9, 2016 1:17 AM
Aug 2015
tragedydesu said:
shoujo : i dont have anything against romance , but the romance in shoujo is pathetic
Sol : i dont hate that genre but anime make it boring and painful to watch

The number of SoL anime series/films per season is probably the highest of all other genres. I have watched barely any, but I believe if anime is good at something, it's SoL.
Aug 9, 2016 1:18 AM

Jun 2016
Despite having some very good ones I'll join everyone and their mothers in saying that horror in general is the weakest and most fragile genre in anime.
Honestly this "hey let's have high school students murder each other" trope in horror anime is getting old for me and lots of them have this.
Aug 9, 2016 1:20 AM

Aug 2009
Horror haters don't really get the horror the japanese come up with so they dismiss it as boring, but I like how japanese horror anime don't scare me half to death, but actually make me interested in the tainted reality. Horror is a small genre though. I'm going with none of them are weak. If they all had the same amount of anime in each category, they'd all have a similar amount of hits.
Aug 9, 2016 2:27 AM

Nov 2012
dakotasapphire said:
Horror haters don't really get the horror the japanese come up with so they dismiss it as boring, but I like how japanese horror anime don't scare me half to death, but actually make me interested in the tainted reality. Horror is a small genre though. I'm going with none of them are weak. If they all had the same amount of anime in each category, they'd all have a similar amount of hits.

J-Horror is awesome. I love Japanese horror, but it just doesn't translate well to anime as a whole, at least within the last decade or so when anime became too pretty.
Aug 9, 2016 2:40 AM

Aug 2015
Wanted to disagree saying that horror is pretty awesome, but then I saw that Mayoiga and HotD are actually tagged as horror.
Aug 9, 2016 2:46 AM

Aug 2015
Mecha... I guess...

IMHO, giant fighting robots just don't make very good waifus
Aug 9, 2016 2:47 AM

Aug 2009
Miraclezify said:
dakotasapphire said:

J-Horror is awesome. I love Japanese horror, but it just doesn't translate well to anime as a whole, at least within the last decade or so when anime became too pretty.

I love watching those old horror anime... XD I DON'T NEED IT TO BE PRETTY <3
Aug 9, 2016 2:48 AM

Apr 2014
Ryuuzahar said:
Protaku said:

Yami Shibai is about the closest thing to the scenario you're asking about. And horror is largely considered to just be bloody and gory in Japan, while in America it's meant to scare the socks off someone, as @zombie_pegasus was talking about. I don't get scared by guts and gore in American films either, as most people probably don't either. But anime watchers who aren't too experienced in the horror genre of anime set up an erroneous expectation of what to expect from said horror anime, and then end up leaving disappointed because there expectations weren't met. I was the exact same way when I started watching horror anime but now that I've got around to watching just about every horror anime most people can name, I've got a clearer idea of what the tag/genre is actually supposed to mean.

Can you recommend me some good horror anime? XD Too lazy to search..

Depends on the kind of horror you want.
If you want something akin to American horror, the anime Yami Shibai I mentioned is your best friend. But it's a series short horror stories, so don't expect grandeur characters or story.
As for other horror, well, it seems like you've seen most of the noteworthy ones already, but you're still missing Monster, which is probably the anime I'd recommend the most to you from this list. I noticed you like anime like Mawaru Penguindrum and Tatami Galaxy, so Boogiepop Phantom might also be right down your alley if you don't mind having to pay thorough attention to details. If you're a connoisseur for anime with more contemporary art, then also do try Kemonozume if you have the time.
Aug 9, 2016 3:17 AM

Feb 2016
Yaoi, for sure, is the weakest genre.

As much as I love shounen-ai and appreciate the relatively good yaoi (manga) out there in the world, yaoi anime is horrible.

A lot of it is rape or dubcon with extremely horrible justification. Or sometimes the romance just isn't good at all. One minute, the two main leads are talking about birds, and the next minute, they're straight up fucking and I have to wonder how they possibly managed to make such a quick transition. The only yaoi anime to have kind of intrigued me was Koisuru Boukun. The plot was good and the characters had a lot of potential together, but that all ended when the rape showed up. In my opinion, pretty much 98% of yaoi anime are bad.

Hentai is pretty much the same thing. But it has a little more variety, so I am not super mad at it.
Aug 9, 2016 4:01 AM

Dec 2012
Horror. Animation just isn't scary at all.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Aug 9, 2016 4:06 AM

Apr 2015
Dementia, see Sayuri, Scrap Diary, etc
Aug 9, 2016 4:34 AM

Oct 2014
Question:
Is ecchi a genre or a sub-genre?
Aug 9, 2016 5:44 AM

Apr 2014
HOTD isn't a Horror show, atleast, it isn't in my opinion. Weakest genre definitely is Dementia, like, try finding more than 20 shows with that genre tag, I definitely can't.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Opposite sex AND same sex characters you most relate to

IpreferEcchi - 52 minutes ago

2 by 707supremacist »»
6 minutes ago

» What are considered 'the best anime clothes'?

SgtBateMan - 2 hours ago

10 by Jonas-K »»
18 minutes ago

» Secondary characters

JoeChip - 2 hours ago

10 by Nirinbo »»
28 minutes ago

» Who is your Favorite Waifu in Pokémon? ( 1 2 )

Jackof-allspades - May 26

55 by CanineSmack2 »»
29 minutes ago

» Is romance/slice of life the greatest anime genre? ( 1 2 )

Semester1 - Yesterday

55 by animeadept »»
51 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.