Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 17, 2016 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Heh, of course Kakeru would be curious about who Naho is interested in.

Decent episode, the cryptic messages that Naho is getting makes the story more interesting in particular with the present storyline and how Naho can influence the future. The feels ;o
Jul 17, 2016 9:58 AM
Nov 2015
Pretty good adaption this time, I'm getting really hyped now for the coming episodes ^^
Jul 17, 2016 10:05 AM
Sep 2015
So Kakeru did indeed kill himself. Makes sense since a simple accident wouldn't require all these changes in Naho's past...

Man I swear the finale scene of every episode gives me so much feels T.T.
Jul 17, 2016 10:07 AM

Jan 2015
Just one "mistake", and I also begin to ask... "Did the future changed already?"
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jul 17, 2016 10:16 AM

Jan 2011
Ya I cried. Son of a bitch.
Jul 2018
Really loved the episode. It was so calming that it felt like 10 minutes. And also I'm pretty happy that they managed to get the character design right because the design from episode 2 was creeping me out at some points.
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Best episode so far, finally it gets to the real deal.
Jul 17, 2016 10:21 AM

Apr 2016
I cried like a baby in the part of the letter.
The story is getting very interesting, can't wait to see more!
Jul 17, 2016 10:22 AM

Dec 2009
Loving this so far. Give me that forced drama.

MMMMMM YUMYUMYUM

Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/TeaAnyOne91

Jul 17, 2016 10:23 AM

Jan 2012
So Naho found out the past is obdurate. She shoulda read 11/22/63.

Eh, I dunno. I wanted to cry during that future scene, but I couldn't. All I could think about was how manipulative it felt. Which is true of many things of course but...I dunno. That damn Suwa thing still nags at me. If saving Kakeru in the present time line doesn't undo the future time line then it is indeed sad though. Gotta see more...
Jul 17, 2016 10:27 AM

Dec 2014
Amazing episode, Excellent adaptation wise as well. One chapter adapted again, Still not sure when they're planning on picking up the pace if they wanna fit this into 1 cour. I really don't want them to rush through the the manga towards the end.

The end was so emotional, I teared up when they read Kakeru's letter. T.T
I'm probably gonna tear up multiple times throughout this adaptation.

The piano OST is fantastic, It really suits the scenes.

Can't wait for the next episode.
Jul 17, 2016 10:29 AM

Sep 2015
the feeeels ;w; I almost cried
I wonder why Ueda confessed to Kakeru tho
Jul 17, 2016 10:33 AM

Aug 2015
Love this episode. She should had told him how she felt and she was too late replying to his note.
Jul 17, 2016 10:34 AM
Apr 2014
Oh my, the feels wave is strong.
Orange juice, bam title drop.
So she left a message telling him not to go on a date with the senpai but he refused, interesting development
So Kakeru did kill himself.
Did she only receive one letter encompassing all the events Kakeru and her went though or is she constantly receiving letters with bits and pieces? if she only has one letter then why hasn't she read the entirety of it already?
This show could probably work well as a live action.
Jul 17, 2016 10:34 AM

May 2009
This show's title is on point. It's sweet and sour, and kind sorrowful ;_;
#savekakeru
Jul 17, 2016 10:37 AM

Apr 2014
Holy fucking shit something related to oranges finally appears

On a side note, I hated Ueda in the manga and now I hate her even more in the anime

Jul 17, 2016 10:40 AM

Jun 2014
Only 3 episodes in and it's already getting emotional. So Kakeru, like I assumed in the episode 2 thread, did kill himself, and I guess that was his suicide note. I really feel bad for all the others, finding out after it's too late that they could have helped him out, but they no longer can.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 17, 2016 10:41 AM

Jan 2013
Drake1000 said:
it already has a live-action adaptation

Jul 17, 2016 10:43 AM

Apr 2015
Drake1000 said:
So she left a message telling him not to go on a date with the senpai but he refused, interesting development
it wasn't like that, he just saw it too late :/
Jul 17, 2016 10:48 AM
Apr 2016
I really hope this anime has more than 13 episode since they adapted 1 chapter for 1 episode so far, and it is really good. Still at least 19 chapters for 10 episode? I hope they can fit it perfectly if truly just 13 episode...
Jul 17, 2016 10:51 AM

Jul 2014
Yeah, while future Naho's sentiments are nice, it's a shame that her past self is too dumb to correct the mistakes she originally made. Also, can't say I'm at all surprised to learned that Kakeru killed himself, but from everything we've seen so far I don't understand what drove him to it at all.
Jul 17, 2016 11:00 AM
Jul 2016
danieltortoisee said:
Also, can't say I'm at all surprised to learned that Kakeru killed himself, but from everything we've seen so far I don't understand what drove him to it at all.
Wait till the saddest chapter of the manga to be adapted, as you might guess— it's Kakeru's POV.
Jul 17, 2016 11:17 AM

Feb 2015
Drake1000 said:
So Kakeru did kill himself.
Did she only receive one letter encompassing all the events Kakeru and her went though or is she constantly receiving letters with bits and pieces? if she only has one letter then why hasn't she read the entirety of it already?

Well he didn't see the letter in his shoe locker until he had already told Ueda "yes". So I guess that he didn't want to just turn around and dump her immediately despite Naho's letter telling him "no". He was probably pretty conflicted about it so he decided to just roll with Ueda and see where it went I guess.

Also, it does have a live action. I haven't seen it, but I've heard it's pretty good.

a_nellisa said:
danieltortoisee said:
Also, can't say I'm at all surprised to learned that Kakeru killed himself, but from everything we've seen so far I don't understand what drove him to it at all.
Wait till the saddest chapter of the manga to be adapted, as you might guess— it's Kakeru's POV.

Oh god. That chapter hits the feels like a truck. I actually re-read it two or three times in a row after initially reading it, it was just that good and that powerful. That's the chapter I'm anticipating to see animated (and see everyone's reactions in the episode thread) the most.
CC9ersJul 17, 2016 11:21 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2016 11:20 AM

Jul 2015
jesus christ i freakin hate naho. nearly enough reason to drop the anime despite it being quite good. i was feeling nothing because i could only think about how big of an idiot she is.
Galaxy__Jul 17, 2016 11:24 AM
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Jul 17, 2016 11:31 AM
May 2016
Im getting so hyped for next episodes, can't wait any longer, but im not going to watch the manga, i don't care how painful the wait will be......

NahoxKakeru <3

Sorry suwa you look like best bro but..... Ship MUST sail.
Jul 17, 2016 11:31 AM

Jul 2013
Didn't expected the title being named after and orange juice, lol. I guess it has sense. Too bad Kakeru read the letter too late and he started to date with Ueda.

And the end confirms that Kakeru commited suicide. Wonder what made him reach to that point.
Honestly, I felt sadder for Naho more than for Kakeru.
Jul 17, 2016 11:35 AM

Sep 2015
The actual drama has finally begun. The first two episodes had a bit of drama but they served as a foundation more than anything. Plenty of things that I liked in this episode, the show has yet to bore me.

Right away, we are presented with a little monologue from Naho. This is a pretty common thing for shows to do, giving the character some time to express their thoughts to the viewers to give us a better understanding of what's going on in their head but usually it just passes by without any real meaning to it. What Naho's monologues excel at doing is setting the tone, actually, I'll say resetting the tone. Like I mentioned in episode 2's thread, Orange has done a fantastic job of changing the mood of the episode in a smooth manner. This was more frequent in the last episode, it's not all serious, there are lots of fun moments too that help us breath between the drama. Going back to Naho's monologues, it is an excellent way of reminding us that she is struggling. She is constantly thinking about the letter from the future and I'm sure anyone would feel uneasy if they were in Naho's position.

What happens when you're always thinking? What happens when there is a problem that's on your mind all the time? You lose confidence. You become timid and hesitant. I used to be a competitive ice dancer and my coach would always tell me, "don't think, just do". The reason for this is because when I'm out there performing, I have to be focused in executing my moves, I can't be thinking about any mistakes I've done or thinking about trying to finish a perfect program. If I become hesitant before doing a hard element, there is a higher chance of me messing up. Confidence is huge when it comes to sports. Especially at the elite level for all sports, your opponents will eat you whole if you show them even a sliver of doubt. It's very obvious to see that Naho is becoming more uncertain and nervous. Her blank stares, her delayed responses, she is troubled right now. This comes back to haunt her when she decided to not pull off the eraser jacket one of her bigger regrets happens before her very eyes later on. Personally, I don't understand why she didn't just pull the damn jacket off right away. Maybe she read that part of the letter later but I feel like she already knew what was going to happen. It's an eraser jacket, just pull it off damn it, it doesn't take much effort and you have nothing to gain from keeping it on. She should know by now that the letter isn't completely bogus. Even though that decision made me a little bit disappointed, I can accept why she didn't do it. It all comes back to her being hesitant and making that one mistake. It gets the point across that she's human and humans make mistakes. Nothing I've talked about so far is groundbreaking or revolutionary in anime, but it's these little things that make or break a drama and for me, it did a very good job at creating the atmosphere.

Maybe I missed it but I'm a bit confused about the warning at the very beginning that deals with Kakeru not joining the soccer team. Will this be shown in a future episode? Naho didn't have a chance to talk about it with Kakeru. Was she supposed to just force him to join out of the blue? There has to be some context to it, she can't just phone him up one day and say "Hey, join the soccer club".

At the end of the episode is where things get juicy. Actually, things were already juicy with Kakeru deciding to date that other chick. Anyways, we are once again shown a little scene with all the friends as a grownups. This time they are reading letters to themselves from a time capsule that I assume they made nearing the end of school. I believe this happens before the ending scenes from the first two episodes because they mentioned celebrating a birthday, presumably Kakeru's, and the scenes from earlier could be interpreted as the celebration. We are given a bit more background on Kakeru's disappearance here and it was very grim. It wasn't what was written on the letter but what wasn't written that made it very ominous. Seeing the friends break down was touching. Although the show has only been showing things from Naho's perspective, it seems that the whole group has regrets, not only Naho. Speaking of regrets, could we have been told the biggest regret of them all? One could argue that Naho not telling Kakeru how she feels is pretty major but would that be a factor in Kakeru's disappearance? I am getting the vibe that the birthday celebration is what ultimately caused Kakeru to break. If I'm correct with this prediction, I can't wait to see how present Naho will deal with this regret when she gets to it.

Slight AnoHana feelings at the very end too. Group of friends that drift apart due to a death. Maybe not as severe as AnoHana since the friends in Orange seem to be closer but no matter what happens in their lives, the love for their friend will always bring them together. Now that I said that, it also reminds me a bit of Ansatsu Kyoushitsu.

Next week can't come any sooner.

Episode 2 Impressions
Episode 1 Impressions
HecticLeoJul 17, 2016 12:11 PM
Jul 17, 2016 11:38 AM

Nov 2007
Damn,i cried.......
Jul 17, 2016 11:43 AM

Nov 2009
It's quite clear that Kakeru has depression, and the anime is emphasizing it in this episode when the camera blurred on the sides and showed how far away Kakeru is when he's near the vending machine and the others are by the windows. There's a sense of detachment to the reality and a sense of not truly belonging with the group's cheerfulness.

While everyone is regretting not saving Kakeru in the future, isn't it obvious from last episode that Kakeru is regretting not being able to save his mom as well? He would seem to be trying to find a purpose to live everyday, for himself, but if it's really suicide, it would mean he'd grown tired and he didn't think there's any meaning in the end. That's an unsettling thought, but it's not unusual in our real society...

As more episodes come out, I think it's also quite clear that what Naho regrets is not saving Kakeru when she could have. She doesn't look like she regrets marrying Suwa ever. Besides that, even if she does save Kakeru in the past, that doesn't guarantee she won't end up with Suwa in the end. And deep inside, the future Naho must have known that. There's no guarantee that any changes they'll make to the immediate future would change the future ten years later.

Then again, does future Naho even know that her letter traveled to the past? (Please no spoilers from the manga.) Or did she just write it and didn't expect too much that it would really time travel?
witchhuntressJul 17, 2016 11:48 AM

"Belief is the death of intelligence." ~Robert Anton Wilson~
Jul 17, 2016 11:44 AM

Oct 2013
First appearance of the word Orange! Oh man, I'm so sad that Kakeru was snatched away. Yup and today's episode confirmed my suspicion that the accident was actually a suicide.
Jul 17, 2016 11:44 AM
Jul 2018
Naho should have tell Kakeru about how she feels about him!

Too bad, Kakeru read the letter too late!
Jul 17, 2016 11:46 AM

Mar 2016
orange gets better every week imo
Jul 17, 2016 11:49 AM

Mar 2015
Best episode so far, this is already becoming a tearjerker ;_;
Jul 17, 2016 11:52 AM
Mar 2015
Wow... I will cry at the end of Orange as fuck I think.
Jul 17, 2016 11:56 AM

Dec 2015
Again! this happen again
i cried like a BABY...................
Jul 17, 2016 12:00 PM

Nov 2014
This show is heart wrenching... Watching Naho fail and reading Kakeru's letter.
Hi there
Jul 17, 2016 12:02 PM

Aug 2013
Another great episode of Orange down and yet again another tear-jerking moment. Seriously, this feels inducing show makes me rage at the feels but it's so good that I cannot stop watching it. That moment at the end was just way too strong. Minus the whole mystical time-traveling letter aspect, this series is so realistic and relatable.
Don't believe the hype.
Jul 17, 2016 12:11 PM

Apr 2013
First anime this year to make me cry
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2016 12:12 PM

Oct 2008
I felt kinda pissed off this episode with Kakeru, why would you say yes to this random girl you don't even feel anything for (except her face), when at the same time you're getting bentos and morning calls from another girl who obviously puts a lot of effort into it... I don't know if depression is a good enough reason for him to be making such bad decisions.
Jul 17, 2016 12:31 PM
Feb 2010
komasan said:
I felt kinda pissed off this episode with Kakeru, why would you say yes to this random girl you don't even feel anything for (except her face), when at the same time you're getting bentos and morning calls from another girl who obviously puts a lot of effort into it... I don't know if depression is a good enough reason for him to be making such bad decisions.

She did said that there isn't someone she's interested in, and she didn't gave him an answer.

They are teenagers, they are stupid.
Jul 17, 2016 12:36 PM
Dec 2015
Naho is becoming annoying af..Seriously :|
Anyway, was a good episode..liked the end part
Jul 17, 2016 12:38 PM

Apr 2015
that letter though
made me cry
Jul 17, 2016 12:43 PM

Sep 2014
Got pretty sad near the end.

I'm wondering what would happen if Naho doesn't get together with Suwa like in the future. Would that mean their child would never be born o.o?
Jul 17, 2016 12:45 PM
May 2015
Wow, 3 episodes in and this anime is already giving me the feels. I teared up at the last episode and the same shit happened in this episode.

And Kakeru's letter killed me T_T

4/5 or 5/5? I can't decide. I'll go with the latter.

Jul 17, 2016 12:48 PM

Aug 2013
They are doing well with this adaptation. I really like it.
And the art is sooooo beautiful.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 17, 2016 12:52 PM

Nov 2009
Cetais said:
komasan said:

She did said that there isn't someone she's interested in, and she didn't gave him an answer.

They are teenagers, they are stupid.

Depression isn't why he went out with Ueda. Ueda was impatient, and sort of pressured him into answering as well. Besides that, Kakeru seems to be not sure that his feelings towards Naho are even welcome, or if he really feels what he thinks he feels and she feels the same way. Everything that Naho is doing for him might just be what she would do to a "friend" who needs someone (e.g. Naho repairing Suwa's buttoned jacket last ep). In other words, Kakeru thinks that what Naho feels for him is PITY and not OH-I-AM-DEEPLY-IN-LOVE-WiTH-YOU-THAT'S-WHY-I'LL-FEED-YOU. Practically he may feel friendzoned even, not someone super special.

If there's anything he'll learn from this "mistake," it'll be his real feelings. Just like Naho, he's not much good with confrontation (e.g. Suwa telling him to join soccer all the time and he relents). There are parallels that can be easily overlooked but are actually meaningful to show character.

"Belief is the death of intelligence." ~Robert Anton Wilson~
Jul 17, 2016 1:06 PM

Dec 2013
Just caught up today and so far it's been really great but I couldn't help overthinking. If he really wanted Naho's opinion why would he hide the piece of paper inside a freaking eraser wrapper? Nobody is going to take off the wrapper of an eraser I swear
Jul 17, 2016 1:10 PM

Jun 2015
Ok this was a sad episode and made me sad and curious
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jul 17, 2016 1:47 PM

Oct 2012
can anyone spoiler it for me please? how is she getting the letteres and why did he commit seppuku
Close the world, ƚxƎn ɘʜƚ nɘqO.

Jul 17, 2016 1:50 PM

Jul 2012
Man, this is so good. The suspense is too good and that ending was a surprise too. I'm too tempted to wait for the rest of the episodes to come out but that'll take forever
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Orange Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2016

247 by venbals »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Orange Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2016

223 by venbals »»
36 minutes ago

Poll: » Orange Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2016

231 by patkarunungan »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Orange Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Vacu0us - Jul 2, 2016

405 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 25, 9:33 PM

Poll: » Orange Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2016

204 by miffyverse »»
Apr 1, 2:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.