Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 9, 2016 11:51 PM

Apr 2009
I really enjoyed thefirst episode.The overall atmosphere, the art, and especially the music! Looking forward to the next episode.
Sig Removed. Hosting site unavailable and giving fall virus readings
Jul 10, 2016 12:46 AM
Jul 2015
Good start. A wartime atmosphere mixed with survival. 4/5

Jul 10, 2016 4:16 AM

Oct 2013
That was a pretty good episode. I liked it and can't wait to see what becomes of this show.
Jul 10, 2016 6:12 AM

Jan 2014
I don't like the artstyle. I understand why Madhouse did it (it's somewhat more novel than original) but it turned out bad considering the type of story they want to tell. It almost felt like they took characters designs straight out of some girly romance.
dsw2biJul 10, 2016 6:21 AM
Jul 10, 2016 7:04 AM

Nov 2012
I've read the manga to the latest chapter.The art animation of this is kinda different from the manga like it's more shojo-ish, I'm not sure whether I like it or not. But everything else is alright.

Yatori's and Haro's lewd outfits is also a plus.

Now I just have to decide whether to watch this weekly or marathon it later.
A city's greatness is determined by the speed of its internet connection.
Jul 10, 2016 7:31 AM

Feb 2014
I quite enjoyed this, looking forward to seeing where this series goes :)
Jul 10, 2016 8:25 AM
Dec 2007
Yang Wenli : The animation. Seriously, how inspired by LOGH where the light novel authors ?

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 10, 2016 8:51 AM
Mar 2016
Ikhta looks better in anime lol
Jul 10, 2016 9:20 AM

Nov 2010
Not that interesting. will keep watching for 3 episode.
Jul 10, 2016 9:54 AM

May 2008
I like character designs and the story looks interesting enough, but I really hate that wish fulfillment/power fantasy main character. :I Hopefully he'll start to grow up soon or it'll make the show a lot less enjoyable.
SaradaJul 10, 2016 10:06 AM
Jul 10, 2016 10:19 AM

Apr 2013
Sarada said:
I like character designs and the story looks interesting enough, but I really hate that wish fulfillment/power fantasy main character. :I Hopefully he'll start to grow up soon or it'll make the show a lot less enjoyable.

Can I ask you what makes you think of wish fulfilment/power fantasy about him? I'm curious :O
Jul 10, 2016 11:34 AM

Jan 2014
Sarada said:
I really hate that wish fulfillment/power fantasy main character.

Wish fulfillment is fine when done right (see Mushoku Tensei). And seeing the first episode I have an impression you are more annoyed with a main character in general rather than described concept. I don't really see this as wish fulfillment fantasy so far.
Jul 10, 2016 11:55 AM

Oct 2013
What in the hell is up with the character designs? I only read the manga but it looks so much better in the manga. MC looks shady and fed up with life in the manga.

I don't like the way the rest of em look either. I'm basing this on the PV though. Gonna watch it properly after a few episodes out.
TheNoseOfDeathJul 10, 2016 11:58 AM
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jul 10, 2016 12:44 PM

May 2008
Zefyris said:

Can I ask you what makes you think of wish fulfilment/power fantasy about him? I'm curious :O

l3eifong said:
Wish fulfillment is fine when done right (see Mushoku Tensei). And seeing the first episode I have an impression you are more annoyed with a main character in general rather than described concept. I don't really see this as wish fulfillment fantasy so far.

Yeah, I guess I should have just said that I'm more annoyed with the main character in general. I really should think twice before commenting carelessly.
Characters like our MC here (the dude who "no one likes" and who could care less and who's really good at everything and better than everyone else). I'm not sure if it's just directing/writing that made him look like a poorly done wish fulfillment MC. (For example, I really dislike Kirito from SAO and Asterisk Wars's MC) I might be biased since I really like the other characters and their designs and I want to like this anime. The MC is just making it really hard.

I haven't read the light novel and have just checked the first pages of the manga, so I don't know what the MC's like in them.

EDIT: Way to find out what I tried to say after pressing 'Send'... I guess the way the character's presented in the story is what makes characters annoying for me sometimes, and why I said it's a power fantasy. Since there's characters I described in other animes that don't bother me as much.
SaradaJul 10, 2016 12:47 PM
Jul 10, 2016 12:53 PM

Apr 2013
Sarada said:
Zefyris said:

l3eifong said:

Yeah, I guess I should have just said that I'm more annoyed with the main character in general. I really should think twice before commenting carelessly.
Characters like our MC here (the dude who "no one likes" and who could care less and who's really good at everything and better than everyone else). I'm not sure if it's just directing/writing that made him look like a poorly done wish fulfillment MC. (For example, I really dislike Kirito from SAO and Asterisk Wars's MC) I might be biased since I really like the other characters and their designs and I want to like this anime. The MC is just making it really hard.

I haven't read the light novel and have just checked the first pages of the manga, so I don't know what the MC's like in them.

EDIT: Way to find out what I tried to say after pressing 'Send'... I guess the way the character's presented in the story is what makes characters annoying for me sometimes, and why I said it's a power fantasy. Since there's characters I described in other animes that don't bother me as much.

I see, that what you meant.
He's not really good at everything and not wish fulfilment at all. He's not kirito. Like, at all. They're pretty much completely opposed xD. I was going to list what he's good at and bad at but deleted it, as you will simply see it in following episodes anyway so that would be spoiler.
ikta is a good MC. He will not be liked by everyone, and that's natural considering some of his flaws/shortcomings are bound to be disliked (there's already peoples disliking him after the first episode due to be a womaniser anyway ^^") by a part of the audience. But yeah, he's well written. And definitely not wish fulfilment imo.
ZefyrisJul 10, 2016 12:56 PM
Jul 10, 2016 1:18 PM

May 2008
Zefyris said:
Sarada said:

I see, that what you meant.
He's not really good at everything and not wish fulfilment at all. He's not kirito. Like, at all. They're pretty much completely opposed xD. I was going to list what he's good at and bad at but deleted it, as you will simply see it in following episodes anyway so that would be spoiler.
ikta is a good MC. He will not be liked by everyone, and that's natural considering some of his flaws/shortcomings are bound to be disliked (there's already peoples disliking him after the first episode due to be a womaniser anyway ^^") by a part of the audience. But yeah, he's well written. And definitely not wish fulfilment imo.

I always tell people not to judge so quickly and now did it myself ^^;. But yeah, I exaggerated because he annoyed me so much. I've agreed with you in the past whenever I've seen your posts, so I'm gonna trust you in this one too.
Jul 10, 2016 2:15 PM

Jan 2014
Love the setting, and how we got a mature relation between our two mains from the start, but the execution is horrible. Character introductions were forced, almost like clicking throug the intro of an old Gameboy JRPG. Story is cliché, and presented in the most cliché fashion. Most of all though, visually it's just off, and it's not just the 'art style'. The faces just look bloated on the bodies, and they all have some kind of weird hollow look in their eyes. Then there's the animation, and lazy handling of objects in the background.

If I had to mention anything it reminds me off, it'd be Argevollen, or if you're willing to forgo even the military theme, Speed Grapher. However, it lacks both the latter's guts as well as the former's underdog appeal.

It's only been the first episode though; I might give it another try, or two, but this show is gonna need good fighting scenes badly. It also looks at least somewhat promising when it comes to military accuracy, like the notion that commanding is like blind chess, and -highlight of the episode- MC-chan warning MC-kun not to chip her main gauche. Most anime don't even know what that is, and treat cold steel weapons either like they're indestructible or made of butter.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Jul 10, 2016 2:34 PM

Jul 2007
daAmazinFatB0y said:
What in the hell is up with the character designs? I only read the manga but it looks so much better in the manga. MC looks shady and fed up with life in the manga.

I don't like the way the rest of em look either. I'm basing this on the PV though. Gonna watch it properly after a few episodes out.

Okay wtf. The manga design fits his personality A LOT more so far.
Jul 10, 2016 2:52 PM

Apr 2013
@Sarada hope you enjoy :).
Oh and btw, one of the reason you may think of him as wish fulfilment is the chara design choice in the anime, so you may be interested of looking at the image comparison above. He isn't a good looking boy, if you were thinking he was :o.
Jul 10, 2016 3:26 PM

Aug 2015
It was cool the way they presented the characters at the beginning of the episode.
The soundtrack is good.
I could not like the mouths of the characters (too big, weird).
After the storm There was a short intensity.
I liked the way in which the princess acted and was reprimanded.
I not like the spoiler that was the end: v.
Overall, I loved :v.
Looking forward to the next episode.
Jul 10, 2016 5:50 PM
Jan 2009
Jacut said:
Yang Wenli : The animation. Seriously, how inspired by LOGH where the light novel authors ?

A lot.
Ikta is strongly inspired by Yang on multiple levels (he even joins the military only to get the references for an humanistic job, but then...) it's pretty obvious from begginning to end.

The LNs use a 3rd person narration that is sort of unusual nowadays (1st person is vastly predominant especially for fantasy).
There is a lot of worldbuilding: novels 1-5 are roughly split in half between worldbuilding and plot.

There is a decent amount of educated talk on the tactical and strategical level (spoiler about the ending of the 1st volume)

There is also a past VS present VS future thematic going on... (heavy spoiler for what is possibly going to be the season finale here)

Obviously the series it's far from being as polished as LOTGH, and there are some of the usual fantasy LN shenaningans, but overall it's a serviceable war story if you like the genre.
The manga adaptation is also pretty good, so it's a good starting point for a quick read.
Jul 10, 2016 8:11 PM

Sep 2015
Cool a military show. Though I feel like they would probably be safer in the ship than a life boat in a stormy weather. The ship is significantly more seaworthy than the life boats. Unless the water-tight integrity of the vessel was lost, there isn't much reason why one would get on a significantly less seaworthy boat.
Jul 10, 2016 9:23 PM

Mar 2014
better than other shitty magical battle series of this season. the stage is not in school thankfully
Jul 10, 2016 10:39 PM

Dec 2012
This start was good, I assume that the Mc will be the only character to speak and learn thing to the princess. It looks fun and I like the characters design.
Jul 11, 2016 12:03 AM

Oct 2013
Fai said:
daAmazinFatB0y said:

Exactly. The anime made em all pretty like, too pretty like. Looks like he came straight out of a Shoujo manga. Does fit him at all and even the other characters look....off
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Jul 11, 2016 1:37 AM

Aug 2011
daAmazinFatB0y said:

Well anime character designer probably follow second illustrator light novel design..
CrazyFrogzJul 11, 2016 2:06 AM
Jul 11, 2016 1:38 AM

Oct 2013
CrazyFrogz said:
daAmazinFatB0y said:

Exactly. The anime made em all pretty like, too pretty like. Looks like he came straight out of a Shoujo manga. Does fit him at all and even the other characters look....off

Well anime character designer probably follow second illustrator light novel design..[/quote]

Is that how they look in the LN? What happened to the 1St 1?
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
Jul 11, 2016 2:50 AM
Jan 2009
Imho the manga is similar to the 2nd illustrator design.

The current design is this one: (no spoiler, just the image)

Bottom line: pretty face Ikta is an eresy.
Dark_KainJul 11, 2016 2:53 AM
Jul 11, 2016 3:43 AM

Apr 2013
daAmazinFatB0y said:
CrazyFrogz said:

Well anime character designer probably follow second illustrator light novel design..

Is that how they look in the LN? What happened to the 1St 1?

neither the manga illustrator, first LN illustrator or second LN illustator had a style similar to the anime chara design, so no. I don't know why they changed btw. Mayybe they were not satisfied from the first one, or maybe something else. It's not like it's a unique case. Mondaiji changed its illsutator as well last year, for example.
ZefyrisJul 11, 2016 5:19 AM
Jul 11, 2016 4:15 AM
Dec 2011
Episode 2 preview:
http://alderamin.net/story/02.html

Episode 2 staff(thanks abhjetgon from animesuki)
Screenplay: Yasukawa Shogo
Storyboard: Morio Asaka
Ep Director: Wakabayashi Kanji
Animation Director: ZANG YOU SHICK
Jul 11, 2016 5:12 AM

Feb 2015
enjoyable, entertaining and interesting start imo. well, i don't see anything impressive so far but i enjoyed it. the characters are likeable too. and i like that the princess got involved with them. it's making it more interesting imo. And the male Mc. the va and similiarity of character with Sora from No Game No Life, i'm already liking him.

and is it me who is feeling Gate vibe while watching this episode ?

looking foward for the next episode
and btw, character design looks realistic and i really like that a lot.
Jul 11, 2016 1:34 PM

Sep 2015
Went into this one blind, expected to be underwhelmed but I actually kind of enjoyed it. Fun characters, especially the protagonist for once, and it has a compelling set up. I'm looking forward to seeing what the action's going to be like in this one will probably make or break it for me. I'm also really curious to see how far the story is going to go. I honestly thought the whole thing might be these characters on an island, or in enemy territory or something but the ending seems to suggest this is not the case.

I like the art style and character designs, the like exotic island outfits are a little goofy but their uniforms look fine. I don't have much else to say about this, the voice cast were vibrant, there were some really funny expressions, all three of the girls were at least pretty cute. About all you can ask for from an anime you knew nothing about. I was surprised this was Madhouse though doesn't seem like their thing.
Jul 11, 2016 5:33 PM

Mar 2009
I actually really enjoyed that. And I for one like the character designs, had a definite LOGH vibe. The second half had a nice intensity to it. I was a little thrown off by the little sprites at first, but getting a glimpse of the abilities was cool. I think I will definitely stick with this one.
Jul 11, 2016 9:06 PM

Jul 2009
Oooh I didn't really have high hopes for this, as other's have said, I went in blind-- but it turned out really well! Loving it so far. All the characters (except for maybe fatty) are likeable, even that princess.

Looking forward to more of this
Jul 12, 2016 12:12 PM

Apr 2013
Really interesting start. It seems like Madhouse took some of the complaints directed at them about Irregular at Magic High School and tried to make some of the info dumping a lot more natural and less - technical manual- than they did with that series.

The animation was also really smooth and I really liked the way the sequence on the boat was put together. The storm and their attempt at escaping from the doomed vessel was simple, but really nice to look at.

I'm also really liking some of the characters already. Particularly, I'm fond of the protagonist, Ikuta and the princess, Chamille, already. That said, I'm horrified by the reaction to Ikuta so far.

What makes him so much worse than a character like Rintaro in Steins;Gate? Why is he getting so much hate, when he has far more personality than many other protagonists in anime recently?

As someone who reads a lot of fantasy novels, he honestly reminds me of some of my favourite protagonists from recent years (a la Locke Lamora from Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards series, or Prince Jalan from Mark Lawrence's Red Queen's War series). It truly has me excited to see where this series will progress with him, especially with the future title he was given at the end of the episode.
Jul 12, 2016 2:30 PM

Nov 2015
A boring beginning but the 2nd half compensated it.
The fantasy feeling got me although i cannot stand the character design, for real wtf is that?
MC seems smart and charismatic although it could be annoying at some point.
Enjoyed it the most time and I am looking forward for more.

5/5
Jul 12, 2016 4:32 PM

Oct 2008
Nice looks promising!
OP Kishida Kyoudan & The Akeboshi Rockets for the win!
Igsem is HOT!
4/5.

Jul 12, 2016 5:21 PM

Aug 2008
The character designs remind me of the ones they used on majority of Production I.G. anime shows. TBH, I used to dislike it but somehow, it is now growing on me.
Overall, the show has a decent good start and the character interactions are really interesting, if not very hilarious. The MC hero is really one perverted guy but it seems that he has a very serious side with him especially when he scolded the princess. The red-haired chick is also quite hot and also because Risa Taneda. :P
I hope the 2nd episode will show very serious action because I feel the anime will become a bit more edgy on the later parts. The reason I said that because Madhouse is often associated with serious edgy shows like Mahouka and Death Parade.
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

Jul 13, 2016 8:35 AM

Jan 2013
Not bad, hope the 2nd episode will be better.
I don't know why but it reminds me of GATE.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jul 13, 2016 1:50 PM

Sep 2007
The episode felt kind of weird. I guess it was the dialogue. It didn't seem like it flowed very well. It does have an interesting premise though.
Jul 13, 2016 5:47 PM
Mar 2016
It was nothing special so far. I like a good steampunky setting for example kabaneri was awesome however this show at the moment is average and a bit odd. If those fairy type creatures which accompany each of the characters don't get explained I won't be happy. I don't know they seem out of place and seem like the types of creatures you would see on a cbeebies show. I like the designs of the rifles however whats with the swords and other weapons which seem pointless when they have guns.

The story and its characters so far hasn't really gained my interest that much its ok but I kind of expected a bit more since its Madhouse, although this is only the first episode hopefully it picks up.

I don't know how some of you guys are rating it so highly, this first episode was only just slightly better than the first episode of the new berserk anime.
Jul 14, 2016 10:44 AM

Aug 2012
At first I thought the designs were really weird but actually I got used pretty quickly and they don't bother me at all now (I even kinda like them).
But moreimportantly, I really liked this first ep! The atmosphere was discreetly epic and you could feel the characters are somehow epic even when they act normal, and I really like that, it's a soft epic but it's really immersive. I alos love the exotic feel and moreover the music!
I was unexpectidly taken with it! Waiting for ep 2 *.*
Jul 14, 2016 9:48 PM

Nov 2015
Good start, better than I had expected, OP song is nice too.

Jul 15, 2016 3:57 AM

Jul 2013
Huh. I didn't have high hopes for this at all, but surprisingly, I like it way more than I thought I would.

When reading the summary and seeing the PV, I thought the MC would be this "lazy but badass kind of MC", and didn't think much of it, but I turned out he's exactly this type of character..I thought I would hate it, but I love it actually.
The way he shut up the princess though !

That moment when you see the ennemy Empire's border, but from the inside, haha.

Jul 15, 2016 4:39 AM

Jun 2013
The characters and their personalities are dreadfully generic with a tough Erza Scarlet-like MC, hotheaded fatty, playboy, big-titty shy girl but I like those sprites, they give me life. They're so fucking cute, I'm not even kidding, I gush whenever I see them on screen. The girls wearing skimpy outfits don't really do anything for me.

Someone needs to stuff Ikki/Ikta's mouth with a fucking boulder or an orc's ochinchin. He's fucking annoying. I can go on the entire series without having to hear his voice ever again. I like his manga and LN version more. He's supposed to be less attractive than Torway but the Anime makes him handsome and it pisses me off. In general, their LN and Manga versions looks WAAAY much better than their generic Anime designs.

I'm imagining both Yatori and Haroma in a naughty yuri scene.

BTW, Yatorishino Igsem is the dumbest pseudo-Japanese-foreign sounding name I've ever heard. Jesus Christ, they sure know how to generate cringe-worthy names.
臭い-
Jul 15, 2016 10:43 AM

Sep 2011
Bibimbapski said:

BTW, Yatorishino Igsem is the dumbest pseudo-Japanese-foreign sounding name I've ever heard. Jesus Christ, they sure know how to generate cringe-worthy names.

Didn't the princess have a even more idiotic name?
Jul 15, 2016 10:58 AM

Aug 2011

Didn't the princess have a even more idiotic name?

Just call her Chamille
Jul 15, 2016 4:32 PM

Apr 2014
decent start, reminded me of hitsugi no chaika

Jul 16, 2016 8:26 PM

Jun 2013
That OP could seriously do without the "wow" effects.
Jul 17, 2016 5:16 AM

Feb 2008
My fantasy pick for the season, the premise certainly seems interesting. I am certainly looking forward to seeing the following episodes.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» YATORI

Bijou146 - Aug 31, 2023

13 by Ash_In_Space »»
Apr 22, 9:24 PM

» Aren't the spirits completely unnecessary?

Yeetyus - Feb 9

5 by Zefyris »»
Mar 18, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2016

70 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 27, 2023 10:09 PM

Poll: » Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2016

136 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 27, 2023 12:34 AM

» Why is the princess obsessed with Ilkta?

Aithusa21 - Jul 30, 2022

5 by Zefyris »»
May 18, 2023 10:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.