Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 8, 2016 12:40 PM

Dec 2008
Beside the cheap, ugly-as-fuck CGI, the voice "acting" is really amaturish as well...like reading from a sheet of paper with zero emotion. The flashbacks was OK tho. I just can't believe Berserk only worth this much for japan... Really sad.
Jul 8, 2016 12:41 PM

Sep 2012
Why in the fuck did they skip the entire Black Swordsman arc? The dreadful CGI is one thing, but who thought it was a good idea to totally cut one of the best early arcs in series?
No duke, no God Hand, none of Guts' character revealed. We hardly even have a reason to believe Puck would want to hang around Guts.
This is absolute garbage. And it's really sad, because this severely damages our chances of ever seeing a proper adaptation of the post-eclipse arcs.
Jul 8, 2016 12:53 PM

Oct 2015
Pentobarbidoll said:
Why in the fuck did they skip the entire Black Swordsman arc?

My guess being because its a very dark arc and they didnt want the anime to be completely 18+.

Pentobarbidoll said:

And it's really sad, because this severely damages our chances of ever seeing a proper adaptation of the post-eclipse arcs.

If the videogame, new anime, and manga sell well, thats the important part.
Then we can expect more.

On the other hand if nothing was done, we would forever be stuck with nothing.

Its all about momentum in business.
Jul 8, 2016 1:05 PM

Feb 2016
This 2D man, that's how the anime should have been, with this animation I wouldn't bother all the parts they are skipping.

Jul 8, 2016 1:05 PM

Oct 2011
lancer35 said:
khalifa-alshamsi said:
Why they skipped this part -_-

Lol that smilee you made looked like Puck.
Anyway you're right they missed that fun moment.

I don't mind cgi animation but the more they skip content the more it gets worse. I think this show is advertisement for the new berserk game just like devil may cry anime.
Jul 8, 2016 1:13 PM

Sep 2008
zaj said:
watching this is like seeing game of thrones get butchered by a low budget sitcom Tv studio. it hurts :'(

Game of thrones made by syfy :P

Better than first episode, but that doesn't say much given that 1st episode was trash.
I hate how....skinny....Guts looks. Huge arms, six pack and a tall, skiny body.
Actually, scratch that, all characters look horrible.

Ugh, this looks and feels like PS1 game.
Jul 8, 2016 1:14 PM

Jul 2007
Casca is even more white now..... WHAT THE FUCK.

I guess those who thought its just bad lighting now will realize that it is just racist whitewashing.

Story wise it keeps shitting the bed (hey guyse let's just have Gutz fall over for no reason since we skipped whole arc that gives an actual reason).
And CGi still awful.

I don't know If I can watch this whole show. Every single episode has "good things" that you can count on one hand and million times more bad things.
AhenshihaelJul 8, 2016 1:23 PM
Jul 8, 2016 1:29 PM

May 2009
The onion guy appeared :3
Curiously the CGI didn't disgust me as much as previous episode. I hope it gets better as episodes go by, and that they use less of it.
I wanna see the scene where Farnese tries to split herself on Guts' sword. If they don't give it to me I'm going vegan :P
I'm so excited to watch this story animated, even with this shitty animation.
Jul 8, 2016 1:31 PM
Apr 2014
Fate_warrior95 said:
This 2D man, that's how the anime should have been

I agree with this, the 2D actually looks great, one of the positive points in the anime, There's some good 2D shots in the op as well.
This one was just a sliding still image but it looks good.

Jul 8, 2016 1:31 PM

Sep 2009
This episode was actually quite good, better than the previous episode for sure.

They altered the story a bit tho, instead of the Holy Chain Iron Knights chasing Guts because of what happened in the Lost Children arc, they changed it to because of the father and daughter killed in the previous episode. Understandable, but I hope they don't keep on altering stuff.

Also I feel like they will tone down a bit on the gore compared to the manga, which isn't good imo..
AmphetamineJul 8, 2016 1:42 PM
Jul 8, 2016 1:38 PM

Jan 2015
the soundtracks sure are impressive as usual, I really missed hearing Sakurai's voice as Griffith *sigh*
Jul 8, 2016 1:46 PM

Jun 2013
The 3D animation doesn't bothers me as some are complaining. This adaptation is really fast paced, and they skyped some stuff (the lost children mini arc...). I really wanted to see how Guts 'begs' Puck to free him, it was funnier in the manga.
Jul 8, 2016 2:03 PM

Nov 2015
mostly happy with the ep, story is moving along just fine
actually looking forward to next week.
Jul 8, 2016 2:13 PM

Jun 2015
good episode. if only the animation was less mechanical
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jul 8, 2016 2:32 PM

Oct 2014
Damn after last week I'd pretty much given up hope in regards to this show but episode 2 was pretty good :) Not great but not bad either. Hopefully the 3rd is good too
noGiAnimeJul 8, 2016 8:57 PM
Jul 8, 2016 2:54 PM

Jun 2009
I actually kind of liked this episode, Farnese was pretty well represented with the whipping and all. I think was pretty apparent she enjoyed the whipping anyway. I don't hate the flashbacks, but there is no way that it can compare to the long flashback arc that was in the manga. It was fantastic story decision and kind of ballsy to hit the rewind button and spend so much time on what was essentially backstory. But, whatever, I'll see how this goes.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 8, 2016 3:08 PM
Jul 2015
maverick0999 said:
vikingx36 said:
I really don't understand some things that people talk about here. I understand the annoyance of 3D CGI to some people but rating a 1/5 just because of that? Really? The thing that annoys me the most is that nobody actually explains why they rated 1/5.

I think I know why, they don't really know themselves do they. It is hard to see your favorite manga get a CGI adaptation but I doubt its as bad School Days or some other crappy anime. Let me tell you my favorite moment of the episode. It's the part in the fight against the knights where Guts manages to get a good grip on his sword and slices through 4 knights at once. The music sets in just at the perfect moment and it feels and looks very epic despite of the animation method. If you didn't see it then I guess you didn't see the same as I. I know that this part is not just an epic moment. It's showcasing the potential of the anime as a whole.

The episodes to come are only going to be better. This whole Anime will be one of the best of the summer. Yes they skipped many volumes of manga, yes they used 3D CGI and yes they whitewashed Casca (spoiler) but in the end I think that this anime deserves a fair chance before it aired completely.

Rating it 0 before it ended is what lazy people do when they can't be bothered to see things to the end. Don't worry maybe next time nobody will even consider making an anime adaptation of your favorite manga. Who cares if the director has to plan everything precisely to spare the large amounts of money that go's in to anime and who cares if the director doesn't have a whole year to make an episode where the protagonists are on a fucking boat!(manga spoiler)

This all comes down to fairness in my opinion. Manga has been around for many years. This anime has only aired for a week. Just give it a chance okay guys...
It's not just the CGI animation, the sound is also off when guts sliced through those soldiers it just sounded off and it felt like they forgot to put sound effects also the confusing intense close ups whenever guts starts doing sudden movements feels like they want to save as much animation budget, there's also way to much big orchestra choir music used it's like they want to make every scene be epic or emotional that can't be done without good animation and sound effects, and when you say to give it a chance there's 30 anime coming out this season that i can easily watch that are better then this poor men adaptation of berserk even though i love the manga, if you think that it's good watch it, but for me i'm gonna skip it and move on to other better shows and sorry for the bad english :).

First of all

With all due respect to your own taste. I guarantee you that there are no 15 anime better this season than Berserk 2016. I'm certain there aren't even 10 anime better this season than Berserk 2016. Even if you think about the poor animation, music and cut out story. Because if you have no problem with it then Berserk is immediately in your top 3 if not top 2. So if you can really find 10 or even 5 shows better than Berserk then go ahead. At least watch few more episodes that is :).

Don't forget that I completely agree with your point about animation, music and sound effects! I have nothing to say in that regard. There is a lot that I wouldn't want to see. But in the end when you mentioned other shows this season then let me think what I could watch instead and which could provide the same content as Berserk:91 days.... That's it.

So when you look at it from that perspective I hope you notice that this season has much to offer but nothing as the same as Berserk 2016.
Jul 8, 2016 3:19 PM

Apr 2013
Guts reminding why he's awesome and his voice actor is actually very decent.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jul 8, 2016 3:21 PM

Mar 2016
Tevens said:
RANT EVERYWHERE LOL

i didn't watch it, and didn't follow berserk either the manga or the first adaptation. but i know what situation this series in currently.
japan, i mean anime industry is getting fucked up currently.
is anime industry one of the black company in japan ?

I had to laugh, sorry, at the "BEE-HEE-Leet" pronunciation.
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Jul 8, 2016 3:29 PM

Nov 2009
Damn good episode. Pacing was much better
Jul 8, 2016 3:40 PM
Jan 2016
Lancehot said:
Casca's skin tone can easily be explained by the eclipse having been so traumatic that it shocked the melanin right out of her skin. That or it's the result of two years worth of Griffith's semen.

Casca was so shocked by how bad Griffith's technique was that it retroactively made her white.
MysteriousBananaJul 8, 2016 3:47 PM
Jul 8, 2016 4:04 PM
Dec 2014
First of all lets face the fact that we are not going to see the horse rape scene that everybody is talking about in the next episode.. The show has censorship to the level that scenes like that are going to be rewrited and presented to us in a different way.. As a manga reader i have to admit that it pretty much sucks that i am not going to see all these creepy and disturbing scenes but it is as i expected to be because these scenes are too much to be shown.. :D :D

Now to the main point the CGI was decent, we had a lot of great berserk style action and finally the anime followed the manga faithfully. The soundtracks are Berserk like as i expected and i really liked them. Also, we had some flashbacks about the golden age arc which was great for the newcomers. Maybe i am wrong here but i think we are going to see a lot of flashbacks in the upcoming episodes because of all the unanswered questions as the one of the behelit. If i am right then they didn't actually skipped all the stuff completely but they are going to present them in another way which i actually like.

Conclusively, i give it a 4/5 just because of the CGI that doesn't amaze me that much. Overall (episode 1 and 2) i give the show a 7,5/10..

P.S
Am i the only one that actually don't give a fuck that they made Casca whiter?
Jul 8, 2016 4:10 PM

Sep 2012
vikingx36 said:
maverick0999 said:
It's not just the CGI animation, the sound is also off when guts sliced through those soldiers it just sounded off and it felt like they forgot to put sound effects also the confusing intense close ups whenever guts starts doing sudden movements feels like they want to save as much animation budget, there's also way to much big orchestra choir music used it's like they want to make every scene be epic or emotional that can't be done without good animation and sound effects, and when you say to give it a chance there's 30 anime coming out this season that i can easily watch that are better then this poor men adaptation of berserk even though i love the manga, if you think that it's good watch it, but for me i'm gonna skip it and move on to other better shows and sorry for the bad english :).

First of all

With all due respect to your own taste. I guarantee you that there are no 15 anime better this season than Berserk 2016. I'm certain there aren't even 10 anime better this season than Berserk 2016. Even if you think about the poor animation, music and cut out story. Because if you have no problem with it then Berserk is immediately in your top 3 if not top 2. So if you can really find 10 or even 5 shows better than Berserk then go ahead. At least watch few more episodes that is :).

Don't forget that I completely agree with your point about animation, music and sound effects! I have nothing to say in that regard. There is a lot that I wouldn't want to see. But in the end when you mentioned other shows this season then let me think what I could watch instead and which could provide the same content as Berserk:91 days.... That's it.

So when you look at it from that perspective I hope you notice that this season has much to offer but nothing as the same as Berserk 2016.
Well no matter how you animated it berserk is still berserk there's nothing like it i have read most of the manga a year ago but i'm one of those that won't watch a show that makes me angry the only show that i finished which was like that was SAO, but i would probably wait when berserk finishes and then watch it all at ounce
vikingx36 said:
maverick0999 said:

First of all

I agree to your point berserk is still berserk no matter how it's animated, but the show just makes me angry because i have read most of the manga and i know what potential berserk has, and i just don't watch shows that make me angry the only shows that made me that way and i weekly followed to the end were SAO and Psycho Pass 2 but i would probably wait berserk 2016 to finish then watch it all at ounce.
Jul 8, 2016 4:12 PM

Apr 2012
Well I enjoyed it, no terrible CG skeletons in this one
Jul 8, 2016 4:33 PM
Jul 2016
This is disappointing, and why is this anime being produced by some no name anime studio called Millepensee, a studio that has never done an actual fighting anime
Here are the anime produced by them (Note that the anime they produce usually only average a 6.)
http://myanimelist.net/anime/producer/1237/Millepensee
Berserk already has a great plot and storyline, this much is obvious. To make Berserk anime a true success, all you need to do is to give it at least a decent animation not some horriable CGI's or still images. The poor animation completely ruins the show. Dissapointing. I was waiting for years for Berserk to be transformed into a anime, but the horriable animation and graphics just saddens me. I dont understand why Madhouse or Production IG refuses to animate this, a greatly well animated berserk will be a huge finacial success with the amount of Berserk fans.
Jul 8, 2016 5:12 PM
Jun 2014
better than the first episode, really like the animation on the flashbacks, it reminds me the 1997 version.
But still if this i think its 7/10.
lennonnsJul 8, 2016 5:26 PM
Jul 8, 2016 5:13 PM

May 2015
A lot better than the first episode. Good thing things actually get really bloody when it gets bloody.

Jul 8, 2016 5:18 PM

Nov 2014
Hardly much of an improvement. This show is a lost cause. Kudos to these nobody-studios for defiling a great series.
Stick to the old TV series and it's godly music.
Jul 8, 2016 5:26 PM

Sep 2015
Liking the banter between Guts and Puck in this episode. Epic OST is also back!

Jul 8, 2016 5:30 PM
May 2010
Good episode, dunno why people say Caska is white but its not, its just the lightning cuz in other scenes she clearly has skin color.
Jul 8, 2016 5:31 PM
Mar 2013
I really don't understand how there's half a dozen shojo and ecchi/harem anime that are just copy pasta from one another that get animated correctly and berserk has the worst animation i've ever seen. It doesn't make sense, i ended up liking the animation of the movies but this is too much, they skip even more content than the movies, put thoses ridiculous black lines on their character because they know they look terrible and try to hide as much as possible. Unbelievable, i'm speechless.
TaybowJul 8, 2016 5:34 PM
Jul 8, 2016 5:37 PM

Apr 2015
There were SOME good cuts there but holy shit, does the flat CGI make even good cuts seem bad.
Jul 8, 2016 5:37 PM

Jul 2011
Better than the first episode but that isn't exactly saying much. I quite liked the Hirasawa song though.
Jul 8, 2016 5:40 PM

Feb 2015
Oh come on...they skipped the part where Puck was fucking around with Guts. "Do you want the keys? Huh? Huh?" "SAY THIS! Oh thank you very much you all mighty Puck."
That part was so funny in the manga.
Jul 8, 2016 5:53 PM

Sep 2009
lefos13 said:
First of all lets face the fact that we are not going to see the horse rape scene that everybody is talking about in the next episode.. The show has censorship to the level that scenes like that are going to be rewrited and presented to us in a different way.. As a manga reader i have to admit that it pretty much sucks that i am not going to see all these creepy and disturbing scenes but it is as i expected to be because these scenes are too much to be shown.. :D :D

Now to the main point the CGI was decent, we had a lot of great berserk style action and finally the anime followed the manga faithfully. The soundtracks are Berserk like as i expected and i really liked them. Also, we had some flashbacks about the golden age arc which was great for the newcomers. Maybe i am wrong here but i think we are going to see a lot of flashbacks in the upcoming episodes because of all the unanswered questions as the one of the behelit. If i am right then they didn't actually skipped all the stuff completely but they are going to present them in another way which i actually like.

Conclusively, i give it a 4/5 just because of the CGI that doesn't amaze me that much. Overall (episode 1 and 2) i give the show a 7,5/10..

P.S

What makes Berserk so great after the Golden Age Arc is all those disturbing and gore scenes tbh. If they cut that shit out, this will be a total train wreck. I can close an eye on the animation, but cutting and altering shit that I do not forgive.
Jul 8, 2016 5:56 PM
Apr 2009
1. How can Casca be white washed if she wasn't black in the first place? She just has a darker skin tone.

2. Oh no, creative freedom in the anime! It's *mostly* going to be faithful in the manga but I'm not sure why people are actually shocked about there being slight differences between the two (the mansion in the next episode, namely).

3. Can't wait to hear about the constant bitching about the art and animation style every week. I'm just going to say it now, if you don't like it, save your time by not watching the anime and directing your anger in forum posts.

The episode was good, I thought it was better than the last episode (which I thought was good as well). Overall pretty content and excited about this anime.

Amphetamine said:
lefos13 said:

P.S

What makes Berserk so great after the Golden Age Arc is all those disturbing and gore scenes tbh. If they cut that shit out, this will be a total train wreck. I can close an eye on the animation, but cutting and altering shit that I do not forgive.
Sorry, but cutting out a horse rape scene won't make the anime a "trainwreck." The original anime abstained from showing Casca getting raped and the series wasn't a trainwreck at all. I think you'll live if a scene like that (which generally doesn't get aired on television) doesn't make it into the anime. As for the actual gory scenes, we saw a mountain of bodies and some decent amount of gore in fights already. I wouldn't be too worried.
DamaeraJul 8, 2016 6:00 PM
Jul 8, 2016 5:58 PM

Apr 2016
I decided to give the series one more chance after last week, but now I'm pretty sure I'll be dropping it.
Jul 8, 2016 6:00 PM

Sep 2009
Damaera said:
1. How can Casca be white washed if she wasn't black in the first place? She just has a darker skin tone.

2. Oh no, creative freedom in the anime! It's *mostly* going to be faithful in the manga but I'm not sure why people are actually shocked about there being slight differences between the two (the mansion in the next episode, namely).

3. Can't wait to hear about the constant bitching about the art and animation style every week. I'm just going to say it now, if you don't like it, save your time by not watching the anime and directing your anger in forum posts.

The episode was good, I thought it was better than the last episode (which I thought was good as well). Overall pretty content and excited about this anime.

Amphetamine said:

Sorry, but cutting out a horse rape scene won't make the anime a "trainwreck." The original anime abstained from showing Casca getting raped and the series wasn't a trainwreck at all. I think you'll live if a scene like that (which generally doesn't get aired on television) doesn't make it into the anime.

I ain't talking about just the horse rape scene, I am talking about all the gore and disturbing scenes in general. If they cut a bunch of shit out, then it's no longer Berserk but Sword Art Online lol.

EDIT: Also, the original anime did have Femto rape Casca, just not as graphic, so.
Jul 8, 2016 6:31 PM

Aug 2013
I'm pleasantly surprised that this episode was miles better than the past one, but still very underachieving.

Sad tho that they are really gonna skip that many episodes and that the show could have looked great if produced in the good old 2d
Jul 8, 2016 6:39 PM

Dec 2014
Holy fuck, that episode was ten times worse than the first one. I didn't think the scores were really justified in being that low after one episode, but I think I'm starting to see their argument now. It doesn't look like this studio has any grasp over what the tone of Berserk is supposed to be, and as a result all of the other production dominoes are toppling over in a row.
Jul 8, 2016 6:40 PM

May 2010
SamBlack said:
I decided to give the series one more chance after last week, but now I'm pretty sure I'll be dropping it.

Me %100 Ive lost all hope. This episode was disgusting lol
Jul 8, 2016 6:58 PM

Dec 2012
Nice to see Farnese & Serpico. Guts really pissed off Farnese.
All those whips to the body. Good thing Puck is there to help him out.
Farnese taken hostage by Guts & the monsters are coming out.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Jul 8, 2016 7:01 PM

Jun 2010
Camera work in the fight scenes is still way too close to the characters. I know that they're doing it to save on animation budget, but it's really starting to make me wonder what they're saving it for. music and voice work is still the best parts of the episode imo.

The censorship in this episode and the next is understandable (isn't Farnese meant to be around 17?) and I can't say I'm going to really miss seeing the attempted horse-demon rape, but the changes and the continued omissions is becoming an increased concern. Bad animation can be dealt with if the story is good, but if they change too much they run the risk of bastardising the story. Hopefully this won't be the case...

PS regardless of the series end quality, I'm just happy to see Serpico animated. He's always been a favourite on mine and hopefully his fights with Guts turn out great in this adaptation.
Jul 8, 2016 7:03 PM

Jan 2010
Seems like ep3 is going to have original stuff with that abandoned house setting. Is that Mozgus in the Preview?
Jul 8, 2016 7:10 PM

Nov 2012
Didn't read the manga and went in with very little expectations. Can someone just tell CG to die off already? Please? Pretty please?

I'm really interested in the story, this is the first anime I think I've decided to bear the CG to see what happens next, so overall, it's not that bad, I'll keep watching.

Jul 8, 2016 7:23 PM
Apr 2015
I dont know why people still complain ! I find the animation quite good and the music is outstanding from shiro sagisu .. Yeah, it can be way better and berserk deserves the best studio and the biggest budget but if you are a true Berserk Fan .. u can only enjoy this ..
And about not following the manga .. in my opinion its better this way.
The fight scene were good and the Fighting soundtracks inspired by the golden age movies are perfect.
waiting for the release of the full version of Susumu Hirasawa's track .. sounds brilliant.

I give this episode 5/5 and i know for sure the next ones with more action and new events will be better.
Jul 8, 2016 7:41 PM

Jul 2009
I find the lack of nips disappointing
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Jul 8, 2016 8:08 PM

Apr 2007
A lot better than the first episode, nice to actually be going somewhere. Still can't wait to read the manga :v

I will never like Sakurai as Griffith though. It hurts, I miss Morikawa ;~;
Jul 8, 2016 8:11 PM

May 2010
Monochrome said:
A lot better than the first episode, nice to actually be going somewhere. Still can't wait to read the manga :v

your spoiling the manga by watching this. It's such a bad representation
Jul 8, 2016 8:16 PM

Apr 2007
Benevolance said:
Monochrome said:

your spoiling the manga by watching this. It's such a bad representation
I spoil stuff for myself all the time, can't say that it matters. Besides I rarely ever want to read the manga of something I've watched so the fact that I actually do after this and the original series sure is something.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2016

989 by JosefStalinium »»
Apr 20, 5:30 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2016

231 by Qtaro91_original »»
Mar 24, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

181 by Xxbrunoguerra »»
Mar 12, 6:58 PM

» Why does berserk, one of the greatest manga has such a shitty anime adaptation?

IMortaI - Aug 14, 2023

30 by Old_School_Akira »»
Dec 31, 2023 6:37 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2016

118 by Alphanumerische »»
Nov 28, 2023 12:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.