Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 27, 2016 4:28 PM
Mar 2016
I was surprised when I used the search function and didn't find a poll about this.

What is your favorite fighting game, feel free to elaborate.

Also, I apologize for possibly missing YOUR favorite franchise. These were just the most popular ones I could think of and find on the web.
I am new to the anime community, please feel free to suggest any anime for me to watch and review. List is currently in my Bio.

Currently watching: Ghost in the Shell; Stand Alone Complex

"Some people get kicks, stomping on a dream. But I don't let it, let it get me down, 'cause this fine o'l world keeps spinning around." -That's Life, Frank Sinatra
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 27, 2016 4:33 PM
Feb 2013
For me, it's Soul Calibur, I think it's a lot of fun to play.
Jun 27, 2016 4:36 PM
Jul 2018
I like Smash Bros if there are lots of people to play with. If not then I might put on Mortal Kombat.
Jun 27, 2016 4:38 PM

Jan 2013
Soul Calibur, but having heard nothing about a new iteration recently, I can only assume it's dead.

Guilty Gear for me
Jun 27, 2016 4:54 PM
Mar 2016
Oh, and my vote is for DOA

Back when blockbuster still existed, I found a bin that was selling old games. I looked through it, and found Dead or Alive3. I had never played a DOA before, and I was really shitty at MK. I don't remember why I even gave it a chance, but I decided to ask my dad to rent it, and for the same price, the girl convinced my dad to buy it.

I brought it home, plugged it into my Brother's original Xbox, and started it up.

Do you know what the first thing to pop up after the opening credits?

Fucking. Aerosmith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBNy6CPtV8g

I'm still shit at fighting games, but I had so much fun playing DOA3, learning its bizzare and oddly entertaining storyline, and after that Xbox took the big sleep, I waited a few years to get an Xbox 360, and when I was bedridden one Christmas, I spent my time playing Dead or Alive 4.

Now, I am playing DOA5LR on my xbox One, and although it doesn't have the same charm as before, it still is fun.
I am new to the anime community, please feel free to suggest any anime for me to watch and review. List is currently in my Bio.

"Some people get kicks, stomping on a dream. But I don't let it, let it get me down, 'cause this fine o'l world keeps spinning around." -That's Life, Frank Sinatra
Jun 27, 2016 5:16 PM

Feb 2010
Used to be Tekken, now it's Street Fighter. Might become Tekken again once 7 drops, who knows.
Jun 27, 2016 6:21 PM

Nov 2015
I'm fiending SO hard for Tekken 7 to come out.. over the past year MKX was my go-to I guess.

When I was younger I was all about Tekken 3 and MvC2 though... Bloody Roar... Rival Schools.

MAKE A NEW RIVAL SCHOOLS DAMMIT!
Jun 27, 2016 6:37 PM

Feb 2013
My go-to fighting games has always been the Tekken series, Tekken 1&3 back as a kid and Tekken 6 more recently, and most likely 7 whenever it drops
Jun 27, 2016 6:39 PM
Jan 2014
Smash bros was always a go-to fighting game for me and my friends.
"FIGHT ME, FINAL DESTINATION, NO ITEMS, OUR BEST CHARCTERS, GO!!"
Jun 27, 2016 6:54 PM

Dec 2012
Street Fighter and Marvel vs Capcom

Other fighting games make me bored easily.
Jun 27, 2016 7:05 PM

Jan 2013
1v1 me on Dragon Ball Z BT3, OP. ;)
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 27, 2016 7:13 PM

May 2015
I didn't really like fighting games at first, since my brother used to beat me all the time in them. But as I learned about techniques, frame data, priority, and other stuff, I became more interested in them. At first it was Killer Instinct, but I found Tekken to be a little more fun. But I kind of stopped playing Tekken due to busy schedules and such, so now today my go-to fighting game is Smash 4 (3DS). It's accessible, convenient, and plenty of fun. I'm no expert, but I try...
Jun 27, 2016 8:01 PM

Jan 2013
Blazblue, has a really unique combat system and actually has a story worth caring about.
Jun 27, 2016 8:25 PM

Sep 2012
melee, snk vs capcom, and mortal kombat are the only ones i don't get bored of.

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Jun 27, 2016 9:23 PM
Mar 2016
While im not surprised that not many people would claim DOA as their fav, im a bit surprised that Im the only one. But what really has me scratching my head is that MK hasnt gotten any votes yet.

Jun 27, 2016 10:02 PM

Dec 2012
Smash has a low barrier to entry and it support more than two players so I tend to play that with people who are into Smash or aren't into Smash....

That said... Street Fighter is my main fighting game and I dedicate myself into playing Street Fighter.

Unfortunately... I don't like Street Fighter V enough to buy it yet. The game has 8 frames of lag and the meta feel limiting to me in comparison to other fighting games. I love Ultra Street Fighter IV, but I make time for the following.

Guilty Gear Franchise
Melty Blood
King of Fighters - 2002 is my personal favorite
Under Night In Birth - I'm interested, will buy once out on Steam

Arcana Heart, Blazblue, Last Blade 2, Garou Mark of the Wolves, Capcom vs SNK 2 are also quite fun. not my main focus, but I would put more time into them.

3D fighters... Virtua Fighter isn't bad. I also like Soul Calibur 2.
Jun 27, 2016 10:10 PM

Sep 2012
ReynTime said:
Smash has a low barrier to entry and it support more than two players so I tend to play that with people who are into Smash or aren't into Smash....

well.. depends which smash. melee has a pretty high entry level. brawl and 4 are pretty simplified.

Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Jun 27, 2016 10:31 PM

Dec 2012
Yomiyuki said:
ReynTime said:

well.. depends which smash. melee has a pretty high entry level. brawl and 4 are pretty simplified.

I know where you're going with this.... professional melee breaks fingers. The wombo combo. Wave dashing. The game is more "hype" to watch and play. A more technical game.

However.... can we objectively say that the top Smash 4 players are inferior to the Melee gods because they aren't playing melee? Zero has had one of the most dominant runs in fighting game history. Mew2King is pretty darn good at Smash 4 and Melee. Hungry Box tries to play Smash 4 competitively and doesn't get very far. You have Zero who's good at Brawl and Smash 4 but doesn't do well in melee. They're different games. I wouldn't say melee wins just because of the advanced mechanics that cater towards "pro" gamers or that it's more exciting to watch. Smash 4 wore me about because of the camping nature, but I still have a blast playing it with friends. I don't even play melee anymore. If I want melee I go to Project M. I tend to do Smash 4 with the casual people and Project M with core Smash people.

Getting more casual isn't even a bad thing per say. KoF, Street Fighter, and Guilty Gear are lowering execution and combo reliance.

Barrier to entry for me means the ability to pick up and play. The Smash series is easy to pick up and play. I'm not talking to get good. I'm talking you can get people to play the game and continue playing it even if they don't want to go beyond the usage of items or whatever. You try that with a traditional fighting game and you'll get bad results. Even if they end up taking a win off you, it's really hard to keep them motivated to play you again and again.

3D fighters have a easier time getting casuals to play because they have some cheap "button mashy" style characters, but the gimmick quickly falls flat once the person who's competent exposes the gimmick and refuses to let the person slowly see results. Go into Smash and you've got enough options to where someone competent l can still have fun with people who never played Smash before.
Jun 27, 2016 10:54 PM

Sep 2012
ReynTime said:
Yomiyuki said:

I know where you're going with this.... professional melee breaks fingers. The wombo combo. Wave dashing. The game is more "hype" to watch and play. A more technical game.

However.... can we objectively say that the top Smash 4 players are inferior to the Melee gods because they aren't playing melee? Zero has had one of the most dominant runs in fighting game history. Mew2King is pretty darn good at Smash 4 and Melee. Hungry Box tries to play Smash 4 competitively and doesn't get very far. You have Zero who's good at Brawl and Smash 4 but doesn't do well in melee. They're different games. I wouldn't say melee wins just because of the advanced mechanics that cater towards "pro" gamers or that it's more exciting to watch. Smash 4 wore me about because of the camping nature, but I still have a blast playing it with friends. I don't even play melee anymore. If I want melee I go to Project M. I tend to do Smash 4 with the casual people and Project M with core Smash people.

Getting more casual isn't even a bad thing per say. KoF, Street Fighter, and Guilty Gear are lowering execution and combo reliance.

Barrier to entry for me means the ability to pick up and play. The Smash series is easy to pick up and play. I'm not talking to get good. I'm talking you can get people to play the game and continue playing it even if they don't want to go beyond the usage of items or whatever. You try that with a traditional fighting game and you'll get bad results. Even if they end up taking a win off you, it's really hard to keep them motivated to play you again and again.

3D fighters have a easier time getting casuals to play because they have some cheap "button mashy" style characters, but the gimmick quickly falls flat once the person who's competent exposes the gimmick and refuses to let the person slowly see results. Go into Smash and you've got enough options to where someone competent l can still have fun with people who never played Smash before.

oh, i thought you meant barrier like in competitive, i agree that smash is the easiest to get friends to play. and no i don't think smash 4 players are inferior, but i think the top players in smash 4 have an easier time staying at the top than top players in melee. zero's run isn't a whole lot different than ken's run when melee first started getting competitive. i think smash 4's competitive scene can be simplified down to who can play the most defensively. granted, i stopped watching competitive smash after genesis, so maybe things have changed, but smash 4's meta didn't change that much in the year and a half that i watched it/didn't become funner to watch.

Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Jun 27, 2016 11:01 PM

Aug 2012
Skullgirls is the best fighting game ever made and I'll defend that to my death. If I start to play that game an entire day can go by just like that. It has the best balance, all characters and teams of any size are viable at high level play, best training mode, the mechanics rewards good decisions, no unblockables, no touch-of-deaths, no infinites and no bullshit.

That being said I've been playing a lot of Guilty Gear and 3rd Strike lately. These games are kinda busted in comparison to SG, but they are fun. Just wanna get good at them.
Jun 28, 2016 12:19 AM

Jun 2016
Daemyx said:
Skullgirls is the best fighting game ever made and I'll defend that to my death. If I start to play that game an entire day can go by just like that. It has the best balance, all characters and teams of any size are viable at high level play, best training mode, the mechanics rewards good decisions, no unblockables, no touch-of-deaths, no infinites and no bullshit.

That being said I've been playing a lot of Guilty Gear and 3rd Strike lately. These games are kinda busted in comparison to SG, but they are fun. Just wanna get good at them.

I feel the same about Skull girls, really good balance and the movement in it feels good for a fighting game. only problem i have with it is the character designs. theres probably only 2 characters in the game i can play as without feeling like a gay fag. i wish they fixed the roster
Jun 28, 2016 12:25 AM

Apr 2013
I started with Street Fighter II and thoroughly enjoyed Street Fighter IV, so I'll always be a fan of Streetfighter.

Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur are also great.
Jun 28, 2016 12:54 AM

May 2015
Tekken is my favorite, I've been playing it since I was a kid.
Injustice is really fun, too.
Jun 28, 2016 4:32 AM

Jan 2016
Voted for Tekken, but Smash Bros is also a solid franchise as far as I'm concerned.
Jun 28, 2016 4:34 AM

Jan 2009
im no gamer but i was addicted to Marvel vs Capcom 1 on the PS1 and Marvel vs Capcom 2 on the PS2

"Behold! Optic Blast"
Jun 28, 2016 5:17 AM

Feb 2015
I'll vote for Super Smash Bros., but mostly because of Melee. Brawl kind of sucked outside of playing the story for the first time, and SSB3DS was good, but still inferior to Melee.

I generally suck with the more traditional fighting games, but despite that, I loved Soul Calibur II on the Gamecube.

If SSBM wasn't so damn good, I'd vote Dead or Alive, because they recently released a Fairy Tail DLC pack, lol.
Jun 28, 2016 5:25 AM

Mar 2014
The Budokai series.
Jun 28, 2016 6:17 AM
Mar 2016
Milennin said:
I'll vote for Super Smash Bros., but mostly because of Melee. Brawl kind of sucked outside of playing the story for the first time, and SSB3DS was good, but still inferior to Melee.

I generally suck with the more traditional fighting games, but despite that, I loved Soul Calibur II on the Gamecube.

If SSBM wasn't so damn good, I'd vote Dead or Alive, because they recently released a Fairy Tail DLC pack, lol.

I was playing and literally noticed that last night.

Jun 28, 2016 6:20 AM

Jan 2014
All about the Pokken Tournament bruh.
“Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore, trust the physician and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility.”
Jun 28, 2016 7:08 AM

May 2015
street fighter 4, hey @Ryou I have pokken tournament too but I suck at it

ok guys i want your opinion what do you think about 3DS controls for street fighter 4 i can't help it but my hands keep slipping and they hurt, i think maybe i'm playing way too intense or something or the 3DS has shit controls
Jun 28, 2016 7:56 AM

Feb 2015
Virtua Fighter. Best fighting game franchise ever. I hate how some people claim it's a Tekken rip off, when the first Virtua Fighter came out before the first Tekken -.- My favourite one is Virtua Fighter Anniversary Edition. It's basically a demake of VF4. It has the same graphics and music as VF1, but the fighting mechanics and character roster from VF4.

Street Fighter is great too. I like it almost as much as VF. Street Fighter 3 is my favourite. Haven't played 5, I heard it sucks?

Smash Bros. I suck at it, but I still like it for some reason? Probably because I'm a Nintendo fanboy
Jun 28, 2016 8:15 AM

Jan 2013
for its easiness and simplicity: Smash

I do like the older SNES fighters a lot more when I can get people to play with.
Jun 28, 2016 8:19 AM

Mar 2015
I play mainly Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, Injustice and SoulCalibur but I know how to play Dead or Alive, Tekken, King of Fighters, Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter.

If anyone on Xbox One wants games in Mortal Kombat X or Killer Instinct add me:
C88 ExoticAbuse

I use:
Mortal Kombat X: Takeda (Lasher & Shirai Ryu), Scorpion (Ninjutsu), Mileena (Piercing), Cassie Cage (Brawler) and Sonya Blade (Special Forces).

Killer Instinct: Sadira, Jago, Orchid and Maya.

Signature & Avatar Designed By: shirakuzo
Jun 28, 2016 8:54 AM

Aug 2012
Vinylzen said:
Daemyx said:

I feel the same about Skull girls, really good balance and the movement in it feels good for a fighting game. only problem i have with it is the character designs. theres probably only 2 characters in the game i can play as without feeling like a gay fag. i wish they fixed the roster

I'm really sorry you feel that way. You're totally missing out. "Fixing" the roster is probably never going to happen (unless they get picked up for a proper sequel). The devs worked for no payment to finish the DLC and now are working on a new RPG tittle. Speaking of DLC, have you seen the final cast? There might be someone there for you. Anyway, 2 characters are more than enough. I play that game since it came out on PC 3 years a go, and I've only played the same 3 char team since.
Jun 28, 2016 10:22 AM
Mar 2016
Daemyx said:

I remember seeing Maximilian Dood playing it on his channel once and I thought it was amazing looking. I had to add it to the poll.

Jun 28, 2016 11:16 AM

Aug 2014
Smash is literally the only one I ever play.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jun 28, 2016 11:39 AM

Jun 2016
For classics - DoA, Current - Brawlhalla ^^
Jun 28, 2016 11:41 AM

Jun 2015
Street Fighter and, in second position, Tekken.
Jun 28, 2016 12:07 PM
Jan 2013
MAY
LAY
BBYYYYYYY
gone bai bai
Jun 28, 2016 12:57 PM

Nov 2011
It was SFV, but it's just so bland in contrast to USFIV and Third Strike (Among other issues).

Planning to try out the new KoF or Tekken on release now.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jun 28, 2016 3:35 PM

Sep 2012
Street Fighter V for the girls

I don't actually play fighting games though.
Jun 28, 2016 5:52 PM

Oct 2014
I'll destroy anyone in DOA any iteration.
Jun 28, 2016 6:37 PM

Dec 2009
My go to fighting game is ... UFC 3.
Jun 28, 2016 6:54 PM

Apr 2014
I've only ever really played SSB from those listed so guess I'm going with that one lol.
Jun 28, 2016 7:55 PM

Aug 2012
Dancewithknives said:
Daemyx said:

I remember seeing Maximilian Dood playing it on his channel once and I thought it was amazing looking. I had to add it to the poll.

If you haven't played it yet I recommend you give it a shot. It's usually really cheap, has one of the best tutorials and (I forgot to put it on the post) has the best netcode I've ever seen.
Jun 28, 2016 7:58 PM

Oct 2015
Does dynasty warriors count? :P
The peasant is bound by the king. The king is bound by the peasants and their kingdom. But the Viking is bound to nothing but themselves.

Jun 28, 2016 9:35 PM

Feb 2015
At the arcade: Garou: Mark of the Wolves
At home: Capcom vs. SNK 2
Jun 29, 2016 3:42 PM

Aug 2008
Melty Blood all day every day.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Jun 29, 2016 10:47 PM

Mar 2011
Smash bros melee is probably the only fighting game i can play for hours. The movement just feels so nice.
League of Legends: Cal Devens

YouTube
Steam
MyAnimeList
VNDB
Jul 3, 2016 1:26 AM
Jun 2015
Tekken has always been one of my favorite fighting games, had a plethora of fun characters and it was very easy for me to get into it.
As of right now I've been playing some Killer Instinct on the XB1, its pretty damn good as well and easily one of my top 5 fighters out now.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nintendo the rising king of console industry!?

rohan121 - May 7

11 by tsukareru »»
16 minutes ago

» What was the very first video game you ever played? As well your first game console?

Kazeninjaryu1 - May 5

22 by whitebeartigtig »»
43 minutes ago

» Are you using Linux???

DesuMaiden - May 2

14 by Daviljoe193 »»
2 hours ago

» The Mike Pollock drama that is going on recently will go down in history!

funtime43_tr - May 4

7 by herry98 »»
Yesterday, 12:46 PM

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

62 by paintpixie »»
Yesterday, 11:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.