Forums
New
Who speak Engrish?
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 20, 2016 12:20 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Englisch und Deutsch.

The former because I come from a country where English is the primary language and the latter because I live in Germany.
ManabanJun 20, 2016 12:27 PM

Jun 20, 2016 12:21 PM

Dec 2008
Lisbon said:
Englisch und Deutsch.

The former because I come from a county where English is the primary language and the latter because I live in Germany.

Why the heck is your username Lisbon lol
Jun 20, 2016 12:23 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Cowabunga said:
Lisbon said:
Englisch und Deutsch.

The former because I come from a county where English is the primary language and the latter because I live in Germany.

I used to play a lot of Civ V and I really love Portugal's peace music in that game, so I used their capital as my username on one site and I've just kind of stuck with it lol

Jun 20, 2016 12:26 PM

Dec 2008
Lisbon said:
Cowabunga said:

I used to play a lot of Civ V and I really love Portugal's peace music in that game, so I used their capital as my username on one site and I've just kind of stuck with it lol

I see. I am yet to play CIv V despite owning it. I've played some Civ IV tho.
Jun 20, 2016 12:45 PM

Oct 2015
I speak

English - Mother's tongue
Mandarin - Fluent
Bahasa Malaysia (Malay) - Fluent (Born and Raised in Malaysia)
Cantonese (not sure if it's a language, maybe more of a dialect) - Semi-fluent
Spanish - Learning
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 20, 2016 12:55 PM

Jan 2009
ZA_WAYD said:

Aye, aye i get what you're saying fam , but i was mostly joking

Oh I got that you criticized the Definition of a Language in a humorous Form, but I just wanted to add the Explanation behind it.
Jun 20, 2016 12:56 PM
Oct 2014
gizter13 said:
Rarusu_ said:
I can even figure out the meaning of some sentences in written Dutch, because it's quite similar to both English, German and Swedish.

i've head people say this before. i know english and especially german are similiar to dutch, but swedish.. i cant understand a single fuck of what you guys are saying. not even one word. completely diffrent language to me.

ot: really only dutch and english. i'm not a nerd.

I have a Dutch friend, and I thought he was Swedish until he said that he moved here in 2010, lol. He is that fluent in Swedish.
Swedish and English are really similar. You have no excuses to be bad in English if you are a native Swedish speaker. A lot of words are pretty much the same.

Jun 20, 2016 1:16 PM
Jul 2018
My native language is English, and I'm learning French. I used to know a spot of Māori but I've forgotten it all...
Jun 20, 2016 1:28 PM

Jan 2009
Rarusu_ said:
gizter13 said:

i've head people say this before. i know english and especially german are similiar to dutch, but swedish.. i cant understand a single fuck of what you guys are saying. not even one word. completely diffrent language to me.

I have a Dutch friend, and I thought he was Swedish until he said that he moved here in 2010, lol. He is that fluent in Swedish.
Swedish and English are really similar. You have no excuses to be bad in English if you are a native Swedish speaker. A lot of words are pretty much the same.
The Intelligibility from your Germanic Mother Tongue towards an acquired, simplified and omnipresent Language cannot be compared the other Way around with (native) English Speakers and/or towards other Germanic Languages.

Both German and Dutch as West-Germanic Languages don't have as much of the Old Norse Wordstock as English, that's probably why you think the Words are pretty much the same.

Northern Germanic Languages also don't have Final-obstruent Devoicing or "Auslautverhärtung" (lit. Off-Sound Hardening) and they hadn't taken part like mainly High German Dialects in the second Germanic Consonant Shift, with the most notable "th-Sound" > "d" Sound Change which was also done within the Low German Area and includes thus the Dutch Language as well, so the Pronunciation of English is easier to learn if your Native Language retains its Features.
Jun 20, 2016 1:46 PM

May 2015
- Dutch, fluent.
- English, fluent. Just grew up with the language around me on tv, the computer, games. Dutch is pretty close to English, so it was easy.
- Indonesian, I understand it, but I can't talk back fluently. Part of my family is Indonesian, so I learnt from hearing them talk and shit.
- German, I understand it for like 75% (when I concentrate lol), but I can't speak it that well.
- French, I kinda now the basics?? I suck at it though.

Also fluent in Korean, oppa saranghae oppa oppa annyeonghaseyo oppa saranghae
Jun 20, 2016 2:19 PM

Apr 2014
Portuguese, French, German and English more or less fluently.
I studied Spanish and Dutch for a while in school, respectively, in university, but with no one to speak to, I quickly forgot a lot of what I learned. I could probably still be able to read the newspapers and speak very simple sentences but that's about it.
gizter13 said:
Rarusu_ said:
I can even figure out the meaning of some sentences in written Dutch, because it's quite similar to both English, German and Swedish.

Swedish is weird for me. Phonetically it resembles German, but I can't understand a single written sentence without using google translate. Sometimes I get these "oh yeah, that makes sense" moments after seeing the translation but otherwise the language feels so alien to me.
Jun 20, 2016 2:40 PM

Jan 2009
pieceoftape said:
- German, I understand it for like 75% (when I concentrate lol), but I can't speak it that well.
Doesn't work that well for me the other Way around (from German to Dutch), not even concerning the written Language.

Halicone said:
I studied Spanish and Dutch for a while in school, respectively, in university, but with no one to speak to, I quickly forgot a lot of what I learned. I could probably still be able to read the newspapers and speak very simple sentences but that's about it.
I had Spanish as well in School + French, but I haven't listened them here because I've already forgotten most of it. I can still read Texts in those Languages and build Sentences with the Help of a Dictionary, but especially the latter is straining.

Swedish is weird for me. Phonetically it resembles German, but I can't understand a single written sentence without using google translate. Sometimes I get these "oh yeah, that makes sense" moments after seeing the translation but otherwise the language feels so alien to me.
Same here and a Germanic Language (German) is my native Tongue. Dutch and English may help you better, because both of them haven't shifted their Consonants as much as German (Overview) and the latter also has some Loanwords from Old Norse, the Ancestor of the Nordic Languages.
Jun 20, 2016 3:00 PM

Apr 2014
Noboru said:
Same here and a Germanic Language (German) is my native Tongue. Dutch and English may help you better, because both of them haven't shifted their Consonants as much as German (Overview) and the latter also has some Loanwords from Old Norse, the Ancestor of the Nordic Languages.

That's fascinating to know. I didn't study linguistics but having an interest in foreign languages in general, it's something that I find interesting to learn about.
Jun 20, 2016 3:07 PM

Mar 2008
I only know English but am learning French, German, and Norwegian. I only got a little bit of Welsh, Irish, and Russian so far. I tried Esperanto a little while but decided it was a stupid language.
Jun 20, 2016 3:08 PM

Jan 2009
Halicone said:
That's fascinating to know. I didn't study linguistics but having an interest in foreign languages in general, it's something that I find interesting to learn about.
I didn't study Linguistics, either. Those are just Things I've picked up from School + from the Net. The "Theory" (especially about the second Germanic or High German Consonant Shift) may make it easier to learn the other Germanic Languages for me, however, I don't have any Incentives to do so right now, despite being interested in those Languages.
Jun 20, 2016 3:12 PM

Jul 2015
Where's the poll with the only option being murica, OP? I'm offended.
Jun 20, 2016 4:13 PM

Nov 2014
English, with some Spanish, French, and Russian.

Reading and writing in the language that you want to learn helps.
Jun 20, 2016 4:31 PM

Oct 2014
English - C2
Spanish - A2
French - A1
Japanese - A1

I learned English in regular life (19 years), Spanish in Latin America (7 months), French in school (8 years), and Japanese from anime (2 years). Obviously learning a language in school is pretty inefficient.
Jun 20, 2016 6:11 PM

Oct 2014
=> Portuguese: the grammar is pretty hard
=> English: still misspell sometimes
=> Japanese: can't write many kanjis

I can understand some spanish, since is kind of similar to portuguese. Also, I'm interested in learning french, italian and maybe DEUTSCHLAND
Wait, did you just say that Jojo is shit?
Jun 20, 2016 6:13 PM
Sep 2015
English: South East England Dialect
Arabic: I can understand and speak some phrases...I can read it too
Jun 20, 2016 6:25 PM

May 2016
English... and I know... nope, only English. Yup, I'm boring. I do have some vague notion of what the French words mean on the bilingual retail items here in Canada, though.
Jun 20, 2016 8:05 PM

Apr 2014
My native language is Spanish. I can understand many of Italian. Also I can understand many of Brazilian Portuguese to written and oral level.
I usually use Anglo forums (MAL for example) for practice my English, so I try to make up for my level of English through intellectually constructive conversations and discussions.

Comic_Sans said:
Rarusu_ said:
I have studied Spanish in the past, but I can't use it, nor understand it. I thought it was boring and hard to learn.
That's because it's objectively inferior to French

Disculpe?
Objectively?
Can you provide arguments to demonstrate that "objectivity"?

Spanish language grants you to learn without accent and even a student can have the facility to adapt their accent to this language (on condition that sounds attractive to the average ear) due to Spanish nature.
Few languages (like Spanish) could have that facility to absorb the beauty of the other languages.

Spanish with Anglo-American accent

Spanish with a French Canadia accent

Spanish with Italian accent

Spanish with Portuguese accent

Spanish with Japanese accent

_Nemrod_Apr 28, 2017 12:11 AM

Jun 20, 2016 8:12 PM

Jan 2013
English which I speak fluently.
Arabic, but it's kinda broken. My parents put me in Arabic school so I can read, speak, and write better.
Spanish which I'm currently learning in school.
That's all. I'd like to learn more languages in the future though.
Jun 20, 2016 8:22 PM

Oct 2013
My native language is spanish, actually I study Spanish literature

Of course I know some English

I started French this year and is quite easy, only know the basics but I can understand about 50% in its written form
Jun 20, 2016 10:08 PM

Jan 2009
Harlequin said:
I can't even speak my native language (German) properly, let alone English.
Are neither of your Parents ethnic Germans?

aikaflip said:
Reading and writing in the language that you want to learn helps.
Hearing and speaking also helps. Ideally, you can immerse yourself or at least converse with a native Speaker, but if that's not possible, you can at least watch Videos in a Language you learn, record your Voice and compare it with what you have heard elsewhere.

zombie_pegasus said:
Obviously learning a language in school is pretty inefficient.
While that's true, it can be used as a Basis for further Self-Study, provided you see a Use for the Language.

aku_haru said:
I can understand some spanish, since is kind of similar to portuguese. Also, I'm interested in learning french, italian and maybe DEUTSCHLAND
Deutschland is a Country, as the "land" Part implies. The Endonym (=own Term) for the Language is just "Deutsch".

Tourist said:
Spanish language grants you to learn without accent and even a student can have the facility to adapt their accent to this language (on condition that sounds attractive to the average ear) due to Spanish nature.
There is no "without accent", it's the Standard Accent.
Jun 20, 2016 10:23 PM

Oct 2014
Noboru said:
aku_haru said:

Deutschland is a Country, as the "land" Part implies. The Endonym (=own Term) for the Language is just "Deutsch".

I know it mate, that was a joke (´∀`)
Wait, did you just say that Jojo is shit?
Jun 20, 2016 10:23 PM
May 2012
Here in Malaysia,

Malay: my native language
Chinese: their common language
English: every language (?)
Jun 20, 2016 10:26 PM

Sep 2009
I'd like to say Japanese... But it's definitely really bad. Not as bad as the Spanglish that I learned in school though.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jun 20, 2016 11:21 PM

Apr 2010
Lithuanian (mother tongue)
Engrish (how can one survive without eng lang???)
Russian a bit (there is still lot of communists in our country ;_;)
Japanese (broken af but still)
Jun 20, 2016 11:24 PM

Oct 2013
MortalMelancholy said:
Spanglish that I learned in school.
That sounds fucking triste, friend
Jun 20, 2016 11:31 PM

Apr 2014
Noboru said:

Tourist said:
There is no "without accent", it's the Standard Accent.

Yes and no.
That is, if you want to learn Spanish, you do not need a particular accent. That does not happen with French or Italian, where the accent is very important.

This is standard in Spain

This is standard in various regions of South America.

Here a Russian girl who speaks in Spanish about the ethnic composition of Russia and the racism. I do not see need for her to suppress her accent since it is more than acceptable.

In any case, I should say "without particular accent
_Nemrod_Jun 21, 2016 2:52 PM

Jun 20, 2016 11:43 PM

Sep 2014
My native language is Polish. I think my english is very good, I have no problem saying or understanding anything, but my accent kind of sucks.
I also know some German but not much more than basics.
Jun 21, 2016 6:15 AM

Jan 2009
aku_haru said:
Noboru said:

I know it mate, that was a joke (´∀`)
Oh lol so that's where it was from xD

Tourist said:
Yes and no.
That is, if you want to learn Spanish, you do not need a particular accent. That does not happen with French or Italian, where the accent is very important.
You're right that no particular Accent is needed to learn, but there are still different Standard Varieties. While they might not be as far apart in Pronunciation, their respective Tone Color (or Timbre) is still different and distinguishable, similar to English spoken in India and in the UK.

It works similar in German. You don't need to learn a certain Accent, but having the Standard Accent used in the Federal Republic of Germany is recommended, as it's the most wide-spread one and thus the easiest to comprehend.

The Videos don't work, unless you change the Code to
[yt]insert_letters_and_numbers_content_id_after_"v="_here[/yt]

Spanish has two different Synchronizations? Most of our Stuff is only dubbed in the Standard German Variety of the Federal Republic of Germany, because it's too costly when every Swiss and Austrian German speaker can easily enough understand it as well due to its Omnipresence.

The Variety from Spain sounds much better between the two Spanish ones btw.
Jun 21, 2016 6:23 AM

Jun 2014
I'm only fluent in English, but I know enough Spanish to understand it and get by.

For awhile, I've been considering picking up a third language, but I'm debating between French, Japanese, or Mandarin.
Jun 21, 2016 7:01 AM
Oct 2014
Noboru said:
Rarusu_ said:

The Intelligibility from your Germanic Mother Tongue towards an acquired, simplified and omnipresent Language cannot be compared the other Way around with (native) English Speakers and/or towards other Germanic Languages.

Both German and Dutch as West-Germanic Languages don't have as much of the Old Norse Wordstock as English, that's probably why you think the Words are pretty much the same.

Northern Germanic Languages also don't have Final-obstruent Devoicing or "Auslautverhärtung" (lit. Off-Sound Hardening) and they hadn't taken part like mainly High German Dialects in the second Germanic Consonant Shift, with the most notable "th-Sound" > "d" Sound Change which was also done within the Low German Area and includes thus the Dutch Language as well, so the Pronunciation of English is easier to learn if your Native Language retains its Features.

Yeah, I know that Old Norse enriched the English language with a lot of words. I think that English granmar is fairly similar to Swedish as well.
Old Norse words are pretty common in casual conversations, which West Germanic words also are. Many French words in English are of Germanic origin though, thanks to the Franks.

Swedish has in return been very influenced by German. The hardest part with German was its grammar in my opinion.

Jun 21, 2016 7:24 AM

Mar 2008
Why the fuck has everyone listed like 4 or more languages. I feel like at least someone is lying or exaggerating.
Jun 21, 2016 7:28 AM

Jan 2015
Hungarian - native language
English - fluent (kind of)
German - moderate (learning for 2,5 years)
Spanish - very, very basic

Learning languages in school really isn't as effective as learning one by yourself. 2 years spent on the English web was worth more than all my years spent learning English in school. The 2,5 years spent on German really didn't help much, granted my teacher is bad but I feel like my skills should be much better after 2,5 years.
ZeesJun 21, 2016 7:32 AM
Jun 21, 2016 7:38 AM

Aug 2015
nepali- mother tongue
can understand little newari - language spoke by newars
english - 2nd language
i can understand 100% hindi so fell free to talk with me if you're Indian/pakistani
Jun 21, 2016 7:40 AM

Jan 2015
I don't speak English I speak American get it right.
Jun 21, 2016 8:35 AM

Jan 2009
traed said:
Why the fuck has everyone listed like 4 or more languages. I feel like at least someone is lying or exaggerating.
Some People here have listed Languages they cannot speak but understand somehow. I could also have listed Languages like French and Spanish, but my Skills deteriorated so much that you can't speak of speaking those Languages. Besides, they don't play any Role in my Life, not even in written Format, while mainly German (written + verbal), Romanian (verbal) and English (written) do.

I don't doubt that some Users can genuinely speak those four or more Languages, considering that if you live in a bilingual Home and neither of your native Languages is English, you're bound to have acquired at least three Languages more or less. Plus, at least in most Countries of Europe, a secondary Foreign Language is necessary et voilà, you have your four Languages.

@Rarusu_ : Those originally Frankish Words don't sound that Germanic anymore, though. I wouldn't really count them towards the native, Germanic Wordstock.

I thought Swedish had more in Common with the Continental Western Germanic Languages regarding their Word Order? For Example, the second Element in a Main Clause is always a Verb, while Object and Subject can be swapped as long as it's unambiguous, unlike with most Cases of Modern English.

What is the hardest Part with the German Grammar? The Word Order, the Verb Forms or the Inflections with the three Genders and four Cases ?
Jun 21, 2016 11:03 AM
Oct 2014
traed said:
You get three Scandinavian language for the price of one
Rarusu_Jun 21, 2016 12:44 PM

Jun 21, 2016 11:16 AM

Jun 2015
I speak Urdu (native language) which is mutually intelligible with Hindi, but it has a different script.
I understand Punjabi (10th most spoken language in the world, more native speakers than German or French but I doubt people know about it.)
Of course I can speak and understand English.
I can read Arabic, but I have trouble understanding and speaking it.
InsaniusJun 21, 2016 11:22 AM
Jun 21, 2016 11:17 AM

Feb 2016
minang : parents tongue
indonesian : fluent
english : not 100% fluent
japanese : learn it in high school, just know the basic
mandarin : just learn for 6 months in high school. very basic
Jun 21, 2016 11:20 AM

Jul 2015
in order of fluency:

>>Russian (native, fluent)
>>English (live in america, fluent)
>>Hebrew (was forced to learn in hebrew school, fluent)
>>Spanish (been learning in school for a good five years, semi-fluent)
>>Italian (been learning in school for a year, can have casual conversations)
Jun 21, 2016 11:34 AM

Nov 2012
Fluent:
Dutch
English
Portuguese

Advanced:
Spanish
Japanese

Meh:
French
Jun 21, 2016 11:44 AM

Jan 2015
French - mother tongue, but have hardly spoken any since I emigrated and go on some long silences when stringing a few sentences together, also tend to make up words in Frenglish
English - have a degree in Eng lit and lived in the UK for 10 years, I consider it as my first language, also solid grammar and spelling skills acquired at Uni
Spanish - used to be v good in high school but have lost most of it
Portuguese - married to a Brazilian and my dog only understands Portuguese so I have picked up some useful commands and can understand conversations
Arabic - started learning but dropped it awhile ago
Japanese - started learning
Jun 21, 2016 11:54 AM

Mar 2016
Before the match a attendant said me in english:" You really should learn to speak french. I answered her, she can't speak in my lang neither, so"
Jun 21, 2016 12:01 PM

Jul 2013
English- native
Cantonese- fluently

Japanese - learning so basically very little
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2016 12:06 PM

Oct 2015
English- (Native)
Spanish- (A decent amount)
Jun 21, 2016 1:34 PM

Sep 2013
Noboru said:
Harlequin said:
I can't even speak my native language (German) properly, let alone English. I also studied French for ~6 months in school, then dropped it. Studied Japanese for 2 months, then dropped it. Studied Dutch, but dropped it right away. And I was forced to study Latin for one semester, but dropped it.
Are neither of your Parents ethnic Germans?

I grew up in a small town in Austria and while German is expected, only dialect is spoken. I learnt it in school of course, albeit almost exclusively through writing. Nowadays I only use standard German, but it's not easy and I honestly think that heavy dialects need to die.

OT: Apparently most people here are polyglots.

   As if that blind rage had washed me
   clean, rid me of hope – for the first
   time, in that night alive with signs
   and stars, I opened myself to the
   gentle indifference of the world.

   The Stranger

Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Twitter is officially X.com now

deg - Today

23 by DesuMaiden »»
10 minutes ago

» I showed the music that I've produced to my father, he liked it

weirdmusty7 - Today

16 by Kwanthemaster »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » is marriage compulsory? ( 1 2 )

FruitPunchBaka - May 10

74 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
30 minutes ago

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again?

KiraraFan - May 7

31 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago

» Are you a wizard? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Mar 9

54 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.