Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 2, 2016 7:40 PM

Jul 2015
In your very subjective opinion, what makes a slice of life anime worth watching? And what makes them worth dropping?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 2, 2016 7:44 PM

Jun 2015
The atmosphere and the characters, as every veteran SoLer would know.

If cgdct then moeness is a factor.
Jun 2, 2016 7:46 PM

May 2016
Razor-sharp humor (Azumanga Daioh), relatable subject matter (Usagi Drop), and/or interesting themes and deep characters (Haibane Renmei).

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."

Mar 2015
if they are entertaining, i will keep watch it... is that concept too hard to grasp?
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."

Mar 2015
The feels... Happy, sad, angry, etc2.. Slice of life anime are made to invoke emotion. If you dont feel anything from it, you are not compatible with it.
EsperJun 2, 2016 9:12 PM
This salad is salty favored
Jun 2, 2016 7:48 PM

May 2016
Kuma said:
if they are entertaining, i will keep watch it... is that concept too hard to grasp?

I'm pretty sure they're asking for specifics--what specifically provides the entertainment?

Jun 2, 2016 7:53 PM

Mar 2015
Zelkiiro said:
Kuma said:

I'm pretty sure they're asking for specifics--what specifically provides the entertainment?
EVERYTHING can... i don't necessary need every concept to good... if they are excelent in one and the rest is not breaking my suspension of my desbelive, i will keep watch it... and it vary from series to series... i have no time to listing every one of them.. and to put it simply is that.. if you goes to certain series, than i will explain each point why out of it...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 2, 2016 7:55 PM

Sep 2015
It has to be the characters because if you don't care about the characters you won't care about what they're doing in their daily life. A slice of life with bad characters would be terrible to watch.
Your next line is "I was just pretending to be retarded".
Jun 2, 2016 7:55 PM

Jul 2012
It's just entertainment in one of its purest forms, watching characters go about their daily lives. Very often it will incite some form of response emotional or otherwise. Most of them arguably are much more focused on comedy and as such could be compared to say sitcoms.
As for the second part of the question, I've never come across a slice of life show I would consider dropping. Pretty much all of them either make me relaxed, happy, they make me laugh and sometimes they make me cry. Like it's not a genre that is intended to dig really deep into.
Jun 2, 2016 7:56 PM
Jan 2013
If it makes me go all like

awawawawawawawa... humans... such a... CUTE!!!!

it's worth
gone bai bai
Jun 2, 2016 8:03 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
It's all about the characters for me.
It can have a great vibe and all but if the characters are boring and shit, its ruined imo.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jun 2, 2016 8:09 PM

Mar 2015
NakuraZero said:
It has to be the characters because if you don't care about the characters you won't care about what they're doing in their daily life. A slice of life with bad characters would be terrible to watch.
in mushishi, you have no place to care about characters... you not even remember their name and their face is similar.. lOl..
Jun 2, 2016 8:10 PM

Feb 2015
hmmm.... thats a hard question... I guess there are Slice of Life animes that are just so deep and amazing you cant help but watch.Then there are others that are just... dry? Like no real aspect to pull you in...

good slice of life:
- say I love you
-Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
-ao haru ride
-Haibane renmei
-NANA
-Toradora
Jun 2, 2016 8:13 PM

May 2015
A slice of life is worth watching if you are really feeling it.

A slice of life is worth dropping if you are not really feeling it.
Jun 2, 2016 8:19 PM

Sep 2015
Kuma said:
NakuraZero said:
in mushishi, you have no place to care about characters... you not even remember their name and their face is similar.. lOl..
Lol when I think of slice of life I don't think of Mushishi even though it might be
Your next line is "I was just pretending to be retarded".
Jun 2, 2016 8:22 PM

May 2014
When they literally take a slice out of someone else's life

Yanderes are the coolest
Jun 2, 2016 8:26 PM

Feb 2016
I would say it is because they are more relatable and realistic, which would in turn add to the overall experience as it is easier to develop personal connections with the characters and subject matter as a result. But of course, not all slice of life anime are like this, so it ultimately comes down to the execution.
Jun 2, 2016 8:35 PM

Oct 2015
I like them because they are fun and relaxing, I usually watch ones with a supernatural element though like Flying Witch or Inari, Kon Kon because that makes them more interesting though I did watch Genshiken 1 & 2 which it pretty normal but that's because they were otakus.

I have yet to drop a slice of life anime but I haven't seen a ton though a friend showed me one episode of Ouran High School Host Club once. I liked it but put it on hold as there was other things I wanted to see more.
Jun 2, 2016 8:38 PM

Oct 2014
It depends on the anime. I've watched so much slice of life that I basically think that all anime are slice of life now. Music and sports related anime tend to also be about the characters' regular lives. I'm still not really sure if Girls und Panzer counts as SoL or not.

Generally:
How cute the girls are
How interesting the story is (if there is one)
How interesting the setting is
How likable and/or interesting the characters are

Reasons for dropping:
Harem (not too important, but it often will make the other aspects more generic)
Jun 2, 2016 9:01 PM

Jan 2011
The same thing as any other anime, minus story.
Jun 2, 2016 9:40 PM

Nov 2009
scruf4ls said:
In your very subjective opinion, what makes a slice of life anime worth watching?

Basically, characters. You can see them like friends or children you never had.
They have to be cute for "children" role, and likeable for "friends" role, and in most such anime, they are both.

scruf4ls said:
And what makes them worth dropping?

True slice-of-life shows are not worth dropping. That said, if characters are realistic (ugly bastards) I would drop such a slice-of-life.
Some SoL anime don't manage to get my attention, though.
Jun 2, 2016 9:46 PM

Oct 2014
ReaperCreeper said:
The same thing as any other anime, minus story.
Sometimes the story of a slice of life is the reason why it's a good anime to watch. Slice of life like Yama no Susume, Wandering Son, Usagi Drop, and Love Live have interesting stories to follow which is part of the reason why they're so enjoyable.
Jun 2, 2016 10:56 PM

May 2013
A mecha genre added to it
(KUROMUKUROOOOOO)
Jun 2, 2016 10:59 PM

Apr 2016
If it's something you can relate to, funny, or realistic.
Jun 2, 2016 11:02 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Generally just... moe girls and comedy?
Jun 2, 2016 11:07 PM

Feb 2015
the relaxing atmosphere.
comedy. enjoyment. i don't know. i watch SoL because it's enjoyable, same with every genre. and it has a really relaxing feeling when i watch it so i think that's the main reason for me. and because of girls too. usually, if it's boys and the anime has SoL genre, i don't think i could enjoy it and it will ruin my enjoyment, so i prefer watching girls with SoL elements in it. but i like some of the SoL show which has male character in it either as the supporting character or the main character.
Jun 2, 2016 11:31 PM

Oct 2014
Mydlak said:
A mecha genre added to it
(KUROMUKUROOOOOO)
There is one and it doesn't look like you've seen it. I don't know if it's any good and it seems to have mixed reviews.
Jun 3, 2016 1:02 AM

Sep 2015
Characters. If I like the characters I'll like the show. They're all that the show is about, so if I don't like them I won't care what SoL activities they get up to.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jun 3, 2016 1:23 AM

Feb 2013
don't think , feel !

is a good way to approach slice of life
Jun 3, 2016 1:30 AM

Feb 2015
I think the most reliable draw is the character cast, but as we've seen with Mushishi, storytelling, atmosphere, and art can all work great too.
Jun 3, 2016 1:49 AM

Feb 2016
Atmosphere, Refreshing.

SoL is something that i watch so i can have a good/refreshing feeling.
Jun 3, 2016 7:24 AM

May 2015
I find that SOL anime tend to rely more on characters than other shows. There are often less external events, or big stories. Rather, it's the interaction between the characters that drives it. Many of the stories are 'simple' in a way, consisting of showing the daily life of people.

Nothing particularly exciting happens to most people most of the time, but how they approach these situations is interesting.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 3, 2016 7:38 AM

Oct 2014
Characters, their reactions and interactions.

Those are the reasons I finished Hyouka (s2 when), and the reason I struggle to end a SoL (K-on!!, for example. 2Moe4me)
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
Jun 3, 2016 7:48 AM

Jan 2016
The characters and their interactions.... a nice bonus is their atmosphere and the exploration of themes. (that's why Aria and Non Non Biyori is what I consider the top of the heap in this genre)
Jun 3, 2016 8:20 AM

Oct 2015
Slice of life is almost entirely character driven, as there is often no "real plot" or at least it's episodic in structure. Therefore the characters have to fit the theme/setting nearly-perfectly and although there doesn't necessarily have to be character development, the characters have to react to things according to their personality. Out of character moments stick out like a sore thumb in SoL even more than other genres.

I find that the soundtrack is also an overlooked part in what makes certain slice of life anime work.
Jun 3, 2016 12:40 PM
Jul 2018
For me personally:

I watch a lot of different types of slice of life shows, so it could be one (or more) of many things that makes a slice of life worth watching:

1) Cute characters who I really admire

2) If it's relaxing

3) Some humor. Or a lot of humor

4) If it just feels like a really nice break from life. If it's a light hearted show

5) If we are talking about a romance or drama slice of life (White Album 2, Anohana), then: well-written, emotionally impactful storyline and moments and character relationships
removed-userJun 3, 2016 12:43 PM
Jun 3, 2016 2:31 PM

Jan 2014
Including action, adventure, wacky comedy and long narratives. Therefore, not being a SOL anime.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 3, 2016 2:35 PM

Nov 2012
It's the same with normal drama/romcom movies.

If the story is dull and predictable with boring animation and boring characters drop.
If the story is good, relatable characters with good animation, continue.

Atmosphere is very important to me in SOL animes.
Jun 3, 2016 3:15 PM

Oct 2015
Personal preference:
- Depicts the struggles and relationships between individuals well.
- Has the least possible supernatural and moe content.
- An optional would be a little romance
- Has light-hearted comedy
- The art must be decent at least
- Lovable cast
- And sometimes, good moral lessons
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Jun 3, 2016 4:04 PM

Mar 2016
Characters and the fun, most likely comedy.
Also the cuteness

Jun 3, 2016 4:12 PM

Jun 2015
I like how a lot of the shows are relaxing. Characters are probably the most important thing for me though.
:)
Jun 3, 2016 4:16 PM

Apr 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60mLvBWOMb4.
It's all there. You also have to take into consideration the type that would watch something like that, in full.
Jun 3, 2016 4:17 PM

Aug 2015
Originality is the only objective measure of quality. If something is not original, it isn't good--simple. Then the reason to watch any anime is to see if it's original or not, which can only be deduced by watching other anime. If you're watching anime for entertainment or feelings or whatever: fine--but don't pretend you take this seriously, you don't.
Jun 3, 2016 4:20 PM

Oct 2015
Kaneki-Uta said:
hmmm.... thats a hard question... I guess there are Slice of Life animes that are just so deep and amazing you cant help but watch.Then there are others that are just... dry? Like no real aspect to pull you in...

good slice of life:
- say I love you
-Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
-ao haru ride
-Haibane renmei
-NANA
-Toradora

Half of these aren't even Slice of Life
Jun 3, 2016 5:06 PM

Oct 2010
I'm glad I've read this tread because I do have a hard time watching slice of life.
I don't think that this tread is going to make me watch more slice of life but it did give me some inside sight on why people enjoy SoL.
The only time I've really enjoyed a SoL is when it is a gimmick involve like School Live!(Gakkougurashi!), Chihayafuru, GTO, Beck, Genshiken, etc, or if it has good drama like Nana.
I have a hard time with the mainstream ones that usually have a comedy and school setting like Clannad or the El: series.
I'm still trying to have an open mind for those shows, but I still have hard time enjoying them.
Right now I've been trying to watch Clannad for a month and I've only watch 5 episodes.
I feel that if you are a long time anime fan at some point you have to watch Clannad, but it has been a struggle for me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 3, 2016 6:43 PM

Feb 2015
Harmony said:
Kaneki-Uta said:

good slice of life:
- say I love you
-Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
-ao haru ride
-Haibane renmei
-NANA
-Toradora

says in the genre on their pages (.-.
Jun 3, 2016 6:53 PM

May 2016
Kaneki-Uta said:
Harmony said:

They're probably one of those people who think an anime is disqualified from being slice-of-life if anything at all happens during the show's entire run.

Jun 3, 2016 7:51 PM

Nov 2015
I think it all boils down to watching the characters have interesting interactions with one another. SoL is probably my favorite genre and that is largely because I feel like the characters are what really make the story.. not necessarily the plot. For instance I would watch the characters from K-On! or Haruhi or any shows like that do ANYTHING. Solve crimes, paint pictures, have a picnic.... nothing.. Idc what it is I just love them lol. SoL is just a look inside of a characters day to day experiences and with that you get to appreciate what these characters go through and feel what they feel which often time leads to eternal happiness or impending sadness. Either way it's great.
Jun 3, 2016 9:02 PM

Oct 2014
CapitalistGod said:
The characters and their interactions.... a nice bonus is their atmosphere and the exploration of themes. (that's why Aria and Non Non Biyori is what I consider the top of the heap in this genre)

Have you tried Planetes?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/329/Planetes

Give it a go. Despite his sci-fi nature, it feels as SoL- ish as you can get, and it's pretty entertaining.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye.

But does the heart have the right perspective?
Jun 3, 2016 9:34 PM

Feb 2015
Zelkiiro said:
Kaneki-Uta said:

They're probably one of those people who think an anime is disqualified from being slice-of-life if anything at all happens during the show's entire run.

(.-. thank you... you saved this person from being extremely burned... because.... i has a flamethrower
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Is the term “weeb” offensive?

kusairo - May 10

49 by Atmogenic »»
7 minutes ago

» Hidden Gems of Spring 2024

ForgotEyeWasHere - 10 hours ago

12 by WatchTillTandava »»
9 minutes ago

» Woke Companies Force Japanese Sites to Censor Anime and Manga Content or Shutdown ( 1 2 3 )

rohan121 - May 9

117 by ArabianLuffy »»
16 minutes ago

» Does Non-Japanese Artist Song count as Anime OP/ED?

Dragevard - Yesterday

15 by Brati »»
32 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 10

72 by perolero »»
49 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.