Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 28, 2016 9:28 PM

Oct 2015
This question has been floating around in my head for a while so i am going to ask it, why do people like anime more then manga. I have seen many people who are passionate about their favorite anime series and re-watch it over and over again, yet the don't read the manga which the anime was based off on. I am one of those people, I like certain anime, but I never read the manga, idk why though. I have seen many people who use this site to chat and log anime, but not as much manga. I have seen many profiles with overwhelming number of anime hours and 0 manga hours. This question has been bugging me for a long time, so it would be very nice if you guys could answer it, thanks for reading and have a great day!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 28, 2016 9:29 PM

Dec 2015
Because not all people enjoy reading and would rather see things happen in front of them.
May 28, 2016 9:36 PM

Dec 2015
Because anime has more life than manga...
May 28, 2016 9:36 PM

May 2015
You do know that reading can get boring.Beside's the fact that you can see your favorite characters moving and not just imagining it in your head.I do read the manga just to see what happens next since most of the time my favorite show's only gets 1 cour or that they just get a cliffhanger for an ending and never gets another season.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 28, 2016 9:37 PM

Jan 2013
Because of the colors and the animation.

Plus, people are just too lazy to read (and that includes myself lol).

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
May 28, 2016 9:37 PM
Aug 2015
because it moves, has color, music, and voice acting
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 28, 2016 9:39 PM

Oct 2014
I personally prefer to read the manga instead of rewatching the anime. Just like anything else, I've spent enough time with anime that I know about a lot of good ones that I want to watch. With manga it seems that anything that looks interesting hasn't been scanlated, which is annoying.
May 28, 2016 9:54 PM

Jul 2012
I personally just can't get the same enjoyment from manga that I can from anime. Largely due to the fact that I don't enjoy reading significant amounts, subtitles kind of being the obvious exception but that's with the accompaniment of sounds/actions/etc. In addition I personally lack the imagination or desire to connect the panels in my head, possibly due to never reading comics when I was younger. Also just a lack visual imagination in general.
As such the few times I read manga now is when I want to connect the events that were skipped in the anime adaptation so I can continue viewing at ease. (ie, to love ru, the world god only knows, and eventually negima).
May 28, 2016 9:55 PM

Apr 2013
I don't.

But anime is just easier to get into and the first thing people get into when they enter the fanbase.
May 28, 2016 9:58 PM

Jul 2014
Some Anime are better than their Msnga counterparts. Attack On Titan is one of the best examples of this. The Anime is beautiful to look at while the Manga is kinda of piece of crap wth its artwork.

But that usually depends on the Series in question: if its Ecchi(To-Love Ru Darkness or the like) I rather see the Manga as I don't have to deal with the BS censorship that the Anime Version has(outside of waiting for the BD's to get translated and eventually end up on Kiss or some other free to watch Anime.)
I play video games. You should play a video game because you read my signature.
May 28, 2016 9:58 PM

Dec 2015
Personally, I would rather read a good manga than watch a good anime, but I enjoy both almost equally so it's not a big deal.
For me, it's been easier finding any anime I wanna watch more than it has to find manga I want to read.

I think for some others it's also because they feel more relaxed watching animation move more than reading text with still pictures.

other than that I'm not quite sure O_o
Banner credit to @turnip
May 28, 2016 10:00 PM
Aug 2014
Why do people prefer anime over manga? That's easy. BECAUSE READING IS SO 1886.
May 28, 2016 10:00 PM
Oct 2014
Watching anime is more passive. You don't need to hold the book, you don't need to turn pages, you don't need to do anything but stare at the screen. You can even use your hands for something else if you want.

For those of us who see anime as nothing but mere entertainment, it's more relaxing.
May 28, 2016 10:02 PM
Jan 2013
Who reads paper nowadays?
HAHAHA
Das funny
It just sounds so unrealistic
Your question confuses me
gone bai bai
May 28, 2016 10:03 PM

Mar 2014
Some people just prefer watching anime, i personnaly also generally prefer watching anime even though most of the time the manga is indeed better. If i want to rewatch an anime though i'll read the manga instead most of the time if i haven't read it. I did that for Shingeki no Kyojin, Nisekoi (Which i'm still reading and not even as far as where i was in the anime lol) and a couple others.

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
May 28, 2016 10:04 PM

Mar 2015
It's 2016 man. Reading is out. That's whaaack
what
May 28, 2016 10:07 PM

Mar 2014
TheHatredDMC said:
Some Anime are better than their Msnga counterparts. Attack On Titan is one of the best examples of this. The Anime is beautiful to look at while the Manga is kinda of piece of crap wth its artwork.

But that usually depends on the Series in question: if its Ecchi(To-Love Ru Darkness or the like) I rather see the Manga as I don't have to deal with the BS censorship that the Anime Version has(outside of waiting for the BD's to get translated and eventually end up on Kiss or some other free to watch Anime.)

I wouldn't say Attack on Titan anime is better than the manga, sure the art was better but the way it ended semi-filler was stupid, which is why i consider them pretty much equal. I've heard Kekkai Sensen anime is better than the manga ( I've heard the manga doesn't have the two most interesting characters ) but there aren't much cases where the anime is better than the manga. One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Dragon Ball and pretty much every long running shounen except Hunter X Hunter 2011, Gintama and arguably Fairy Tail ( If you exclude the fillers ) are the anime which get the worst adaptations, the anime for these aren't even close to their manga's level. It's really sad how they're adapted.

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
May 28, 2016 10:09 PM

Jan 2015
I prefer watching than reading but if the anime hasn't had any sequal or other footage for 5 years then the manga is a good thing to read :3

If I could understand japanese I would listen to drama cd's aswell :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

May 28, 2016 10:13 PM
May 2014
Some people are just lazy, you know? I know a few who rather watch than read just because they're lazy.
May 28, 2016 10:13 PM

Mar 2016
I think why people prefer anime over manga maybe because they're too lazy or not interested on reading (Included me) but sometimes I read manga when I don't have any anime to watch..
Forum set made by Sereshay

May 28, 2016 10:18 PM

Apr 2010
ShinjiBestGirl said:
Because not all people enjoy reading and would rather see things happen in front of them.

As they watch anime, reading subs. Don't need to bring up those that watch dubs, they aren't real people.
May 28, 2016 10:25 PM

Dec 2015
Bevause most people are lazy. You have to bring them everything in front of them and maybe they will use it if not a lot of attention or body moves is needed.

- Anime is more accessible
- in the West, Anime costs less (26eps: 20€, 1 manga tome: 7€) for the few actually paying what they watch
- Anime shows you moves directly
- Anime adaptations require less attention
- Anime dialogues are a lot shorter (just compare Death Note)
- Anime prevents you from imagining voices...
- ... and colours.
etc, ...

- I would add personally that watching an anime on a computer is far more close to watching it on TV than reading a book on computer is to reading the real thing.

I never understood the move part, because despite watching Dragon Ball anime before I could read the manga, as soon as I saw some action scenes in tne manga it was clear it was a lot more dynamic and enjoyable. The same can be said for a big number of other nekketsu manga animations.
Rei_IIIMay 29, 2016 3:53 AM
May 28, 2016 11:43 PM

Aug 2015
Rei366 said:
Bevause most people are lazy. You have to bring them everything in front of them and maybe they will use it if not a lot of attention or body moves is needed.

- Anime is more accessible
- in the West, Anime costs less (26eps: 20€, 1 manga tome: 7€) for the few actually paying what they watch
- Anime shows you moves directly
- Anime adaptations require less attention
- Anime dialogues are a lot shorter (just compare Death Note)
- Anime prevents you from imagining voices...
- ... and colours.
etc, ...

- I would add personally that watching an anime on a computer is far more close to watching it on TV than reading a book on computer is to reading the real thing.

I never understood the move part, because despite watching Dragon Ball anime before I could read the manga, as soon as I saw some action scenes in tne manga it was clear it was a lot more dynamic and enjoyable. The same can be said for a big number of other nekketsu manga animations.

@ultravigo Read please: he wrote "except... ... ... Gintama... ". °
Good illustration for the "why people don't read" part of the question.

ah my bad i didn't saw 'except' in front of gintama
May 29, 2016 1:40 AM

Feb 2016
When i was younger i bought some naruto shippuden manga and tried to read them.. It was ok.. But when the anime came out it was a completely different thing.. i know manga doesn t have any fillers but you can just skip them if you think they re useless, however manga are not like books where you can create the scenes with your imagination.. manga are just boring static sequences and you can t fully enjoy it but this is just my personal opinion
May 29, 2016 1:42 AM

Aug 2015
preference.

ok serious.
Sound, animation.

still, preference.
May 29, 2016 1:50 AM

Feb 2016
I just don't like to read in general.
May 29, 2016 1:58 AM

May 2016
It's not that people prefer anime over manga, its just that in anime, its easier to understand the story and you can easily remember the names of the characters (seriously I do). In manga, its hard to understand, there's a lot of text bubbles and makes you skip to read and just look at the drawings and manga every week 19-21 pages and in anime 20-24 minutes every week.

P.S this is just my opinion please don't hate me for this
May 29, 2016 2:00 AM

Dec 2013
For me, I love Anime more because it has Animation and sounds. I tried reading some Manga but I got bored of it.
May 29, 2016 2:00 AM

May 2016
Because anime has sounds and movement, duhh.
May 29, 2016 2:01 AM

Jun 2012
Because animation, audio and simplicity.

Personally I hate reading, text melts my brain.
♬♪♫
RateYourMusic
LastFM
♬♪♫
May 29, 2016 2:04 AM

Oct 2010
I prefer manga over anime when I'm actually holding a manga volume in my hands. I'm just not a fan of reading it on my laptop screen for whatever reason. I also don't like to read books on a screen either. I feel more comfortable if I can sit back and relax with a proper book in hand.
May 29, 2016 2:04 AM

Dec 2015
Colors. Animation. Voice acting. Sound/Music.

All of that means it entertaining more. At least most of the time I think. I hear people whining about bad adaptions sometimes. If it is Original Work we don't have that problem. I can understand if it is a bad adapation that the manga might be better - but only if it is regarding pacing cause some anime are that painfully slow ... I sometimes thought "skipping through some pages of manga might be faster instead".

Since I am not used to manga I also had trouble to differentiate between all the different characters and things happening - especially if there were a lot of action and sound effects (which the manga also tries to describe with stuff like "boom") going on and if the background was dark.

Actually made me progress pretty slow then and I did not like it. Colors are the biggest/main reason I don't l ike anime more.

It's not that I don't like reading. Normal books (novels) I sometimes read. But for that I don't like online reading. I don't know if there are a lot of Light Novels released in the west ... and they might be more expensive (price per page) than normal western fantasy books (where I still have a lot of good stuff left to read cause not enough time ha ha).
May 29, 2016 2:16 AM

Sep 2015
Anime, being a visual and audial medium, means that it has ways to entertain that a manga simply cannot. A manga might have pictures depicting all the scenes, but they're nothing more than static drawings that are more often than not in black and white. No matter the amount of detail the author puts in, there's only so much movement and motion that they imitate. Anime will let you see those scenes in full colour, in full motion.

Add on the fact that it will also come with soundtracks, sound effects and seiyuus, and suddenly an epic scene that moved you when you read it becomes absolutely amazing when you see it using the full range of methods.
I am stoked for and cannot wait to see a certain scene from one of the recent Shingeki no Kyojin chapters where Erwin gives an amazing speech.
The culmination of that, and the entire scene / event in general is going to be amazing.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
May 29, 2016 2:20 AM

Oct 2015
Most of the manga I read I prefer over the anime I watch as some plot points are skipped in anime. I usually watch an anime, read the manga then watch the anime again.
May 29, 2016 2:21 AM

Apr 2014
ShinjiBestGirl said:

even though most are "reading" the subs.
May 29, 2016 3:01 AM
Aug 2015
I've only read one manga from start to finish (Aku no Hana) and that was simply because I wanted to know what it would have been like if the anime adaptation didn't look completely, well... like shit.

Not sure if it was probably just that particular manga that felt very odd to read, but I'm sure most manga should feel the same. It took me about 5 hours to finish a manga that took 5 years to finish. And that didn't feel right. It also left no impact.

When you read a book you're sort of given to "direct" a character's life through your own imagination, whereas in a manga you just get to look at pictures and that's it. It mostly feels dull and lifeless, and the lack of colors certainly doesn't help.

Maybe I'm just not used to it, though.
May 29, 2016 3:49 AM
Jul 2018
It depends on the type of manga / anime for me. I find comedy anime are a lot funnier than their manga because sound and movement add to the humour. Conversely, I think romance manga is better than anime. I'm not sure why, but the romance can feel more real when it's in manga format.
May 29, 2016 3:53 AM

Oct 2012
I'm too lazy to flip the pages.

Also when I read manga online it's just so annoying to wait until the next page has loaded.
May 29, 2016 3:56 AM

Jul 2015
Manga translation is often horrible.
May 29, 2016 4:30 AM

Oct 2013
I personally don't have any preferences of anime over manga vice versa. However, if the anime is already exists, I prefer watch it first because I don't like to invest a lot of time reading manga/too much watching anime in a week. It's about the real life. I also love the "special" which is often not exist in the manga.
May 29, 2016 4:36 AM

Dec 2014
maybe because anime is more exhilarating than manga
May 29, 2016 4:42 AM
Jul 2018
Anime has more life than manga, obviously. You get colors, music and voice acting. And, of course, dynamics. While I find reading manga to be enjoyable, I'd much rather watch the anime than read the manga. But, sadly, most anime adaptations don't follow the manga, so you can't get the most out of the story.
May 29, 2016 4:46 AM

Mar 2016
I used to always watch anime ... but my favorite genre started running out , thats when i started reading manga , ever since that time , i started to read manga continuously .. so for me MANGA > ANIME , K ?
May 29, 2016 4:49 AM

Jan 2016
The simple answer would be most of them would find reading boring? (Just an assumption) But yeah, visualization is much easier on the eyes.
Anime Community Owner - https://discuss.moe
May 29, 2016 5:00 AM

Dec 2010
Because soundtracks can add another dimension to a story.
May 29, 2016 5:08 AM

Mar 2015
As for me, either one is fine. But as lately, anime turn into promotional stuff. Many parts were chop off.. So.. No other choice than read the manga/novel. xD
This salad is salty favored
May 29, 2016 5:13 AM

May 2016
Because I like to be able to tell what the fuck's going on in action scenes, without needing to dissect every single panel in detail.

Also, I like good voice acting and crave good OSTs. Manga can give you nothing of that sort. Given a choice, I would rather read a light novel, because manga doesn't give you the full experience as a visual medium, nor does it provide as much detail as full text.

That said, if the artwork is good, then reading the manga can be worth it, and sometimes for the actual ending of the story.
Specimen021May 29, 2016 5:16 AM
May 29, 2016 5:18 AM
Mar 2016
Some people just don't like reading. Anything, not just manga. I read manga because I love reading. People usually like to watch. I like both, though.
May 29, 2016 5:18 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
For me, it's just that I found anime first, but there's also, of course, the animation, colors and music. I've bee trying to get more into manga, but it's hard to find time for it when I already read a lot of books.
May 29, 2016 5:21 AM

Jan 2015
Manga is black and white and a lot of times very confusing to look at
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» mal/Confessions ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 10

72 by perolero »»
7 minutes ago

» Does Non-Japanese Artist Song count as Anime OP/ED?

Dragevard - 12 hours ago

14 by Zarutaku »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime sequels that fell off

ST63LTH - 8 hours ago

17 by perolero »»
10 minutes ago

» Hidden Gems of Spring 2024

ForgotEyeWasHere - 9 hours ago

10 by Zarutaku »»
27 minutes ago

» Happy Mother's Day, Who Are Anime's Best Moms ?

tchitchouan - 2 hours ago

9 by Zarutaku »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.