Forum Settings
Forums
New
Are you going to get married?
May 21, 2016 4:17 AM

Sep 2015
Okay, I've never even understood the concept of marriage for as long as I've been around, and it bugs me. I'm not exactly the most romantically capable person due to my lack of ability to love someone "genuinely" as I've been told countless times.

But the concept of marriage itself is redundant to me in many ways. Now I can't say I've researched it a whole lot, because I haven't. But isn't it entirely contradictory in itself??

So as far as I'm aware, marriage is supposed to be the ultimate pact of "trust", right? So it's that trustworthy, that you need to get a ring that says "haha suck it cunt you're mine now", that hardly makes sense, right? A relationship based on trust, AKA a relationship that is far more likely to work, wouldn't need to take that step, because they trust each other enough to not shoot each other in the back...

Furthermore, and I don't really want to be that "Statistics Guy" but, apparently, only 1 in 4 marriages work out.

I'm not the most eloquent guy, but if I can quote my man Bill Burr: "If you were going skydiving and they said 3 out of 4 parachutes weren't going to open... You'd say: yo fuck that I'm not going"

Is getting married really a good idea? Tell me your thoughts.
psilencedMay 23, 2016 8:01 AM

A pair of eyes appear disguised,
I take flight and stay high in paradise,
With bad luck, snake eyes, a pair of dice.
I'm paralyzed, she speaks twice, a pair of lies,
It's parallel, apparent hell of parasites.
ask for discord server
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 21, 2016 4:20 AM

Jun 2013
Well I don't want to since I wanna live alone with 12 cats and 7 hedgehogs. I want to work, eat,sleep,play video games and collect comic books.
May 21, 2016 5:20 AM

Oct 2011
Never had a girlfriend, so marriage is the least of my concerns.
May 21, 2016 5:20 AM

Oct 2010
Yes. My partner and I have discussed when we feel the best and most convenient time for marriage would be, and have pretty much settled on a date.
May 21, 2016 5:26 AM

Apr 2009
probably.
legal benefits + nice to have a wedding
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
May 21, 2016 5:34 AM

Feb 2012
Yes. Marriage is a beautiful thing if you find the right partner. But it all depends on where you live and how you view it.

Plus if you're religious then its even a bigger blessing, pretty sure every religion out there supports normal marriage.
May 21, 2016 6:22 AM

Jun 2014
I've actually been thinking about this topic a lot lately, and I pretty much agree with you. The way I see it, marriage isn't all that necessary. If I feel like I've met someone that I want to spend the rest of my life with, then I'll do that even without getting married to them. And if that relationship ends up failing then it's not like being married would have saved it.

Marriage isn't even a binding thing anymore, since people can just get divorced. All it does is make splitting up more complicated.

With all that said, I wouldn't completely rule out getting married one day. Since the feeling of being in love with someone might overwhelm my common sense, or something like that.
May 21, 2016 6:25 AM

Feb 2015
No ones want to die a lonely death. Far from promising life.
May 21, 2016 6:26 AM

Sep 2015
Amber_Changing said:
Since the feeling of being in love with someone might overwhelm my common sense, or something like that.
You know what they say. Love is a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, and it dies slow, leaving you in a failing marriage.

ask for discord server
May 21, 2016 6:40 AM

Feb 2016
Probably not. Only if I find the right person AKA my true love. Would be awhile before I get married but if I feel it's right and I'm happy with them, then yeah.

Money though ~_~ Oi... Ring... Wedding... etc... >_>

Furthermore, and I don't really want to be that "Statistics Guy" but, apparently, only 1 in 4 marriages work out.

Probably because like 1 in 4 people get married on a whim, blinded by love and what not. In other words, people marry too early in most cases imo. They don't put much thought into it and just do it.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
May 21, 2016 6:43 AM

Apr 2014
One day maybe when the time is right although at the moment I don't have plans to get married in the foreseeable future.
May 21, 2016 6:48 AM
Mar 2015
What a cruel question Probably No. i wish i can see my future
May 21, 2016 6:51 AM

Apr 2011
I do plan on it, but not before I'm ready mentally and financially. Mentally, as in ready to start a new life with someone else and financially, as in be able to take care of all the needs for the family we'd be creating. Also, I would need to know that the person I'm marrying is someone I can trust.
May 21, 2016 6:54 AM

Jan 2014
Yes, @SnugglyWhuggly and I already decided that when we're both able and ready do get married that we will.
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

May 21, 2016 7:41 AM

Jan 2016
I do think that, even in may age of 24, the topic of marriage is still long ways to go... I'll probably get married in my 30's or even early 40's.

Financial stability comes first.
May 21, 2016 7:45 AM

Apr 2015
How does a ring not symbolise trust but rather "haha suck it cunt you're mine now"? I can't even begin to comprehend how to explain your mental ineptness. Also your statistics are 100% bullshit unless you can provide evidence.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
May 21, 2016 7:48 AM

Sep 2015
Cookies said:
How does a ring not symbolise trust but rather "haha suck it cunt you're mine now"? I can't even begin to comprehend how to explain your mental ineptness. Also your statistics are 100% bullshit unless you can provide evidence.
You're either a really angry and edgy person or you're just not good at baiting.

I don't have sources to cite, but if it helps I heard it on Bill Burrs stand up bit about marriage. Hence why I never really pushed it as a solid fact.

You're entertaining though, please continue to spew your volatile bile wherever I go. I'm not a busy man and it interests me to say the least.

ask for discord server
May 21, 2016 7:51 AM

Apr 2015
deadaccount___ said:
Cookies said:
You're either a really angry and edgy person or you're just not good at baiting.

I don't have sources to cite, but if it helps I heard it on Bill Burrs stand up bit about marriage. Hence why I never really pushed it as a solid fact.

You're entertaining though, please continue to spew your volatile bile wherever I go. I'm not a busy man and it interests me to say the least.
"I don't have evidence supporting the #1 point in my case, and it's most likely bullshit, but that totally doesn't matter." Lol.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
May 21, 2016 7:52 AM

Aug 2015
suck it you'll all marry stop trying to be snowflake here....for me i'll marry between age 29-35..i've some great future plans :D
May 21, 2016 7:54 AM

Sep 2015
Cookies said:
deadaccount___ said:

"I don't have evidence supporting the #1 point in my case, and it's most likely bullshit, but that totally doesn't matter." Lol.
I was never making an argument. Merely parlaying my thoughts. I'll make sure to have my trusty bag of links and sources wherever I go, lest I start a conversation with someone.
Sure, my statistic may be wrong. But it also may be right. I just don't really care, so I have no need to search for valid proof.
Chill a little bruh

ask for discord server
May 21, 2016 7:55 AM

Jan 2016
To be honest, I don't know. I'm not even thinking about it, due to not being in the position to get married. But who knows, life has a habit of changing things on you.
May 21, 2016 7:59 AM

Apr 2015
deadaccount___ said:
Cookies said:
I was never making an argument. Merely parlaying my thoughts. I'll make sure to have my trusty bag of links and sources wherever I go, lest I start a conversation with someone.
Sure, my statistic may be wrong. But it also may be right. I just don't really care, so I have no need to search for valid proof.
Chill a little bruh
"Marriage is redundant because it usually ends up in failure."
"No I can't prove that at all."

Also it's clean who's getting upset considering you think I'm "spewing volatile bile" lmao, no need to get so offended.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
May 21, 2016 8:04 AM

Sep 2015
Cookies said:
deadaccount___ said:
Chill a little bruh

Also it's clean who's getting upset considering you think I'm "spewing volatile bile" lmao, no need to get so offended.
I said it's redundant to me. If you want to get married, I ain't stopping you mate. Not relevant to me how you spend your life, I hope you have a nice marriage in fact. But as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't interest me, for more reasons than I listed in my OP. It's kinda lame to deduce someone's entire thought process based on a single basic, harmless summary intended to start conversation. You seem so fixated on an argument, and well, I guess you dragged me into one. Albeit I'm merely trying to explain myself, because I feel like you blatantly misunderstood.

Your bait is pretty good, but unfortunately getting upset on the internet isn't really my kind of thing, but sure why not

ask for discord server
May 21, 2016 8:06 AM

Nov 2014
Probably yes within the next few years. I have been in a relationship for a while now and I am certain things will work out if I get married.
May 21, 2016 8:09 AM

Nov 2015
Marriage is not a certificate of love, I don't know where the fuck you guys got that. It's just a legal contract of exchanging sex and property and stuff. What's the catch? Well, it's the basis of our family system and if family collapses then the society collapses.
May 21, 2016 8:10 AM

Apr 2015
deadaccount___ said:
Cookies said:

I said it's redundant to me. If you want to get married, I ain't stopping you mate. Not relevant to me how you spend your life, I hope you have a nice marriage in fact. But as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't interest me, for more reasons than I listed in my OP. It's kinda lame to deduce someone's entire thought process based on a single basic, harmless summary intended to start conversation. You seem so fixated on an argument, and well, I guess you dragged me into one. Albeit I'm merely trying to explain myself, because I feel like you blatantly misunderstood.

Your bait is pretty good, but unfortunately getting upset on the internet isn't really my kind of thing, but sure why not
You say it's entirely subjective to you but then say that it contradicts itself. That either means you aren't acting as if it's objective or you're just making an entirely incorrect correlation, feel free to choose. Also just because you're seemingly getting angry over letters on a computer screen there's no need to claim that I'm attempting to fool you to make it seem like you're not acting like a child.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
May 21, 2016 8:16 AM

Sep 2015
Cookies said:
deadaccount___ said:

You say it's entirely subjective to you but then say that it contradicts itself. That either means you aren't acting as if it's objective or you're just making an entirely incorrect correlation, feel free to choose. Also just because you're seemingly getting angry over letters on a computer screen there's no need to claim that I'm attempting to fool you to make it seem like you're not acting like a child.
Again dude, I have no real interest in an argument. I merely gave my two cents on the topic, as people do. If you want to prove me wrong, then that's cool. I'm not ashamed to be proven wrong. I do apologise if you thought I was angry, like I said, your content to act apprehensive every time you post in one of my threads is amusing. No idea how you communicate in general with people, but you not liking me isn't some kind of revelation that's going to send me into shock or something. Perhaps you think a little too highly of yourself? I don't know, it's entirely irrelevant to me. I'm merely passing time at 1am in the morning with nothing to do. Please, do continue.

ask for discord server
May 21, 2016 8:19 AM

Apr 2015
deadaccount___ said:
Cookies said:
Again dude, I have no real interest in an argument. I merely gave my two cents on the topic, as people do. If you want to prove me wrong, then that's cool. I'm not ashamed to be proven wrong. I do apologise if you thought I was angry, like I said, your content to act apprehensive every time you post in one of my threads is amusing. No idea how you communicate in general with people, but you not liking me isn't some kind of revelation that's going to send me into shock or something. Perhaps you think a little too highly of yourself? I don't know, it's entirely irrelevant to me. I'm merely passing time at 1am in the morning with nothing to do. Please, do continue.
I hold no grudge against you whatsoever and to be honest I don't know why you think that, you're literally just another user on MAL and there's no reason for me to regard you as special or different. I simply came into the topic stating that what you claimed had no evidence and you said you couldn't care less about the evidence, but hey, that's cool with me.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
May 21, 2016 8:21 AM

Sep 2015
Cookies said:
deadaccount___ said:
I hold no grudge against you whatsoever and to be honest I don't know why you think that, you're literally just another user on MAL and there's no reason for me to regard you as special or different. I simply came into the topic stating that what you claimed had no evidence and you said you couldn't care less about the evidence, but hey, that's cool with me.
I could be wrong. I'm not denying it. I'm just relaying what I heard elsewhere. If I was trying to pitch it to you as a fact, I would have. Which is why I used "apparently" in the sentence.

ask for discord server
May 21, 2016 8:23 AM
Oct 2014
First you need someone to get married to, otherwise it's hard. But presume that there will be, then yes. Living together and having kids without being married sounds very rational and romantically idealistic and all, but I want to defend marriage as a legal union. It is afterall, the ground stone our civilisation relies on.

May 21, 2016 8:29 AM

Nov 2015
Half of marriages end in divorce but look at the bright side, the other half end with death
May 21, 2016 9:44 AM

Mar 2016
I'll get married if I feel like it. I don't want to put any requirements or limits on myself because I know it'll stress me out and make me feel like a failure. So if I'm at a point where I want to get married, I'll do it. If not, I won't.

For me, there's also a family aspect. People in my family start talking about the wedding as soon as they meet your significant other, so there's pressure there.
May 21, 2016 9:56 AM

Sep 2015
i don't trust women enought to marry them. they either steal all your money or cheat on you - probably both.

May 21, 2016 10:16 AM

Sep 2014
There is no benefit to marriage if you're a guy. You literally spend more out of the gate buying them a diamond ring when you propose, while a guy's wedding band can literally cost pennies to a dollar.
May 21, 2016 10:25 AM
Jul 2018
Lol, I don't know. If it happens, great, I'll make sure my wife is a very happy woman. If I don't, it's no hair outta my nose
May 21, 2016 10:35 AM

Sep 2014
I don't know, it is difficult for me to even get a date, so marriage seems way too big of a goal at this point.
May 21, 2016 10:36 AM
Mar 2016
deadaccount___ said:
Okay, I've never even understood the concept of marriage for as long as I've been around, and it bugs me. I'm not exactly the most romantically capable person due to my lack of ability to love someone "genuinely" as I've been told countless times.

But the concept of marriage itself is redundant to me in many ways. Now I can't say I've researched it a whole lot, because I haven't. But isn't it entirely contradictory in itself??

So as far as I'm aware, marriage is supposed to be the ultimate pact of "trust", right? So it's that trustworthy, that you need to get a ring that says "haha suck it cunt you're mine now", that hardly makes sense, right? A relationship based on trust, AKA a relationship that is far more likely to work, wouldn't need to take that step, because they trust each other enough to not shoot each other in the back...

I'm not the most eloquent guy, but if I can quote my man Bill Burr: "If you were going skydiving and they said 3 out of 4 parachutes weren't going to open... You'd say: yo fuck that I'm not going"

Is getting married really a good idea? Tell me your thoughts.
well, marriage in earlier times used to be a contract to ensure a woman only bears one man's children. if either person had sex outside the marriage, they'd face legal punishment, in older times even execution.

nowadays, marriage is still somewhat a contract to ensure a woman has one man's children, but it's a lot looser because of divorces and no legal repercussions for cheating
May 21, 2016 11:00 AM

Nov 2015
Probably yes. But not before I turn 30.

Financial stability comes first.
But until then I'm just gonna continue with my life as a peter pan..
May 21, 2016 11:01 AM

Oct 2012
Probably not and I don't see why I would XD
May 21, 2016 11:03 AM

Jun 2013
Yes, eventually. I'm in no rush, I know I'll get married one day :)
May 21, 2016 11:07 AM

Apr 2013
I like girls in general <3 they are all so cute!
I could marry any female Mal user as well :^)

PS If any girls are interested, you can PM me ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ahhh... Is this the blood... The blood of the Dark Soul?
May 21, 2016 11:08 AM

Jul 2015
If i ever find a partner buried deep under all of the rubble, yes
May 21, 2016 11:10 AM

Apr 2009
Reeceiam said:

what is this
a candlejack alt or something?
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
May 21, 2016 11:10 AM

Jun 2015
Probably but it's not gonna be anytime soon lol. I'm thinking late 20's, but before I do that, I'll need to find my "soulmate"
May 21, 2016 11:12 AM

May 2013
Maybe one day, it looks like I will need to hit it big with something first though. I don't wanna get married and then have to take some awful job, that's not worth it to me.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 21, 2016 11:12 AM

May 2013
kawaiiyuris said:
Reeceiam said:

what is this
a candlejack alt or something?

nah just another hungry guy on the internet 8)
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 21, 2016 11:26 AM

Oct 2015
I think Marriage is a fine idea. When you get married you are basically saying to the person you love that you will be with through the good times and bad. In sickness and in health and all that stuff. However people do tend to get divorced a lot because sadly one of them dont stay faithful to the pact they made with each other. They might have a fight one day and they decide to call it quits. Or one of them might cheat on the other. However to be able to say Ive been married to my wife or husband for 50+ years is a great thing. Sure everything didnt go well for those 50+ years but the fact that those people are still together is awesome. They decided to keep the pact they made with each other. Plus they can be an example for younger couples if they are having hard times.

All that being said I probably wont ever get married. I feel that I am happier by myself but I am only 15 so my ideals may change.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2016 9:09 PM

May 2016
No thks not in the mood for getting alimony slavery.
May 21, 2016 9:10 PM

Jun 2015
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Tired of social relationships

EmiliaHoarfrost - 4 hours ago

13 by W3TFT »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » It is illegal to put mermaids in aquariums?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

17 by Purple_Gh0st24 »»
5 minutes ago

» What was your pooerest ever you have been?

HateFearHunger - Sep 20

45 by deg »»
19 minutes ago

» If you happened to see a MAL user in real life

GinInYourJuice - Sep 18

38 by FanofAction »»
33 minutes ago

Poll: » Guyz do you hate facial hair too? Do you wax your face or just shave? Do you pluck your beard?

HateFearHunger - Sep 20

29 by JaniSIr »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.