Gintama merged
Yes. it should be merged
36.2%
No, it's unfair
63.8%
290 votes
Mar 29, 2016 5:58 AM

Jan 2014
I'm neither Gintama fans nor haters (I'm HxH fans), Gintama is overall great anime (though didn't as good as HxH, FMAB, and S;G) and I don't mind if Gintama being on top spot.

But the problem is Gintama have too many spot in the top 10 list, and it's the manga wasn't even finished yet so we can see many Gintamas again in the future.

So, do you think Gintama should be merged into single anime because of top 10?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 29, 2016 5:59 AM

Apr 2013
No, why should it be done with Gintama and nothing else? Makes no sense. Also who cares about that list anyway?
Mar 29, 2016 6:02 AM

Jul 2015
If Gintama get merged then shouldn't all series with sequels get merged?
Mar 29, 2016 6:04 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
You'd have to make this a standard for all sequels on the entire site in that case, which wouldn't be a bad idea and many listing sites are designed that way (like IMDB for example)

It's been suggested countless times before though but it's never become a reality so don't expect anything
Mar 29, 2016 6:04 AM

Jan 2014
kaguraa_ said:
nope it's only Gintama. If one Gintama didn't take the top 10, it didn't have to merged.
Mar 29, 2016 6:05 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
HiatusXHiatus said:
kaguraa_ said:
nope it's only Gintama. If one Gintama didn't take the top 10, it didn't have to merged.
Okay that... doesn't make sense at all

You either do it for all of them or none. You can't just do it for one series alone for no other reason than that you can. That's not how database management works
Mar 29, 2016 6:07 AM

Jul 2015
That doesn't make sense. Gintama should only be merged if all series woth sequels would be metged as well or it isn't fair. Besides, there are lots of anime that'll likely be in the top 10 like Haikyuu S3, Steins;Gate 0, Jojo, etc.
Mar 29, 2016 6:09 AM

Jan 2014
HaXXspetten said:
HiatusXHiatus said:
Okay that... doesn't make sense at all

You either do it for all of them or none. You can't just do it for one series alone for no other reason than that you can. That's not how database management works
it's not only for Gintama. Maybe in the future steins gate 0 can take top 10 too. Just give the database parameter if(series = top 10){merged} or whatever the method, lol. So top 10 anime will be cleared from sequel, people like to see top ten in everything
Mar 29, 2016 6:12 AM

Sep 2010
HiatusXHiatus said:
kaguraa_ said:

if gintama gets merged with all the prequels, movies and ovas, the same should be done for the all the entries that have sequels. that way it would fair for all

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Mar 29, 2016 6:13 AM

Mar 2015
i would agree if not only apply to gintama. there is fucking tons of sequel in top anime as well. i don't get why only gintama that got such a thing.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 29, 2016 6:25 AM

Jan 2013
I don't want to sound like a broken record, as everyone has already said what I was going to say.

People are way too butthurt about the top list anyway.
Mar 29, 2016 6:27 AM

Feb 2016
It really doesn't make sense to merge only those in the top ten. I mean talking about wanting to see the top ten, I'd rather be able to see 'clean' top 50 anime and yet there are a lot of other sequels filling up the top anime first page (mushishi, haikyuu, natsume yuujinchou, code geass etc). So yeah, if Gintama has to be merged, then let's be fair and do it with everyone else.

Though tbh, oftentimes different seasons of one anime can be produced by different people (or even different studio) so merging them into one can be a bit unfair for the people behind the scenes.
Mar 29, 2016 6:28 AM
Dec 2014
People are just salty. MAL doesn't merge for any other series, so why just this one? To appease the haters? That's silly.
Mar 29, 2016 6:30 AM

Sep 2011
I voted yes assuming this thread was 'Merge all anime'. But to merge only Gintama? That makes no sense. L> for My vote back.

That's like saying "Should X be merged because there's X Entries in the Top 100." This is flawed thinking. If one show gets merged, ALL shows should get the same treatment.
Mar 29, 2016 6:34 AM
May 2015
That would not make sense, so no.
It wouldn;t be fair if only Gintama will be treated that way. Besides,Gintama seasons has different names.
Mar 29, 2016 6:34 AM

Jun 2013
The biggest case of "who even cares". Also, don't merge sequels, it doesn't make sense and for obvious archiving purposes.
Mar 29, 2016 6:35 AM

Jul 2010
No it shouldn't...
Tyrel said:
That's like saying "Should X be merged because there's X Entries in the Top 100." This is flawed thinking. If one show gets merged, ALL shows should get the same treatment.

My thoughts exactly and that's why it should never happen.
Mar 29, 2016 6:55 AM

Oct 2009
No because...
arisa89 said:
oftentimes different seasons of one anime can be produced by different people (or even different studio) so merging them into one can be a bit unfair for the people behind the scenes.

Yeeaap. It would be unfair for the animes, not just Gintama, with different studios/creators/wtv in their sequels.

But I would like if an anime franchise can be merged when it comes to making it a Favorite since you would either have to add all/most of the sequels to your Favorites list or remove the prequel just so you can make the sequel your Favorite (if your Favs list is full). I kinda like it when the Favs list is at least a bit tidy. xD

Mar 29, 2016 7:48 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
No, i want to see MAL burn, specially with dat #1 spot.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 29, 2016 7:51 AM

Sep 2009
What needs fixing is peoples anime taste, not Gintama.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 29, 2016 7:55 AM
Aug 2014
If Gintama should be merged then every anime with a sequel should get merged. Otherwise it would make no sense.
Mar 29, 2016 9:11 AM
Dec 2013
Tyrel said:
I voted yes assuming this thread was 'Merge all anime'. But to merge only Gintama? That makes no sense. L> for My vote back.

Second the motion. Also, Tyrel explained it in the other thread in length why the merging of all the Gintama series is impossible.

NANDESUKA KORE?
Mar 29, 2016 9:15 AM

Feb 2010
That will never happen because we don't group different entries together only because some users would like to see it. There's something called DB guidelines and there won't be any exceptions.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 29, 2016 9:23 AM

Nov 2007
I don't care if it's merged at all. All I know is Gintama is the only anime that ranked #1 at one point during its run of all four seasons, three of which had been #1 after it completed airing. Happy tears.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 29, 2016 9:45 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Why only gintama ? If gintama merge every anime should merge with their sequels
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 29, 2016 9:55 AM

Sep 2013
kaguraa_ said:

yeah, it's best for all if it can be done
Mar 29, 2016 10:48 AM

Dec 2014
I would say definetely yes to merging the series, but only if it happened with every title of course.
Mar 29, 2016 1:39 PM
Aug 2015
HiatusXHiatus said:
I'm neither Gintama fans nor haters (I'm HxH fans), Gintama is overall great anime (though didn't as good as HxH, FMAB, and S;G) and I don't mind if Gintama being on top spot.

But the problem is Gintama have too many spot in the top 10 list, and it's the manga wasn't even finished yet so we can see many Gintamas again in the future.

Grow up kid. Who gives a shit if Gintama populates the entire top 10. MAL rankings literally count for NOTHING. They mean NOTHING. So stop worrying about it and just enjoy watching anime.
Mar 29, 2016 1:59 PM

Apr 2014
It would only make sense if every anime title with sequels and(or) with side stories would be merged into one in 'Top Anime' section.. And average score would be counted from all of those sequels and none sequels.. Seems legit.
Mar 29, 2016 4:40 PM

Nov 2014
Nope, that doesn't make much sense. Gintama has sequels like any other anime, why not merge them all then?
Mar 29, 2016 5:08 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
If Gintama gets merged, every other anime should get the same treatment, and I know a lot won't want to see that. For example, no one wants to see DBZ being combined with DB GT.
Mar 29, 2016 5:26 PM

Jan 2014
Sterben0022 said:
HiatusXHiatus said:

Grow up kid. Who gives a shit if Gintama populates the entire top 10. MAL rankings literally count for NOTHING. They mean NOTHING. So stop worrying about it and just enjoy watching anime.

I give that shit, why not both? We can enjoy watching while enjoy the series we watch rated high.
Mar 29, 2016 5:27 PM

Jan 2013
People still take the top list and rankings seriously? I don't even recall the last time I looked at it lol

People staying salty as always on this site
Mar 29, 2016 5:35 PM

Sep 2014
Goddamn the upset is real. I swear it is like a rebellion army overthrew the government.
Mar 29, 2016 5:38 PM

Sep 2011
GoldenDevilGamer said:
If Gintama gets merged, every other anime should get the same treatment, and I know a lot won't want to see that. For example, no one wants to see DBZ being combined with DB GT.
If a merge did happen it would be something like this: Highest ranking show get shown on the list while the others get put into a dropdown menu where you click an arrow of all the other shows.
Mar 29, 2016 5:41 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Tyrel said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:
If a merge did happen it would be something like this: Highest ranking show get shown on the list while the others get put into a dropdown menu where you click an arrow of all the other shows.
That's actually not too bad I guess. But I doubt we'll see that happen though :/
Mar 29, 2016 5:45 PM

Apr 2015
I'm all up for the sequel merging but is it fair to do it for one series only? Hell No. I believe the main problem in merging lies in different staff members and on what criteria should the score be divided. You know there are series like Durarara which even have a studio change so that could be a negative while merging.There are some series where the sequels are much better than the prequels and vice versa. Surely, averaging won't help in this case. I can understand this would be a long feet to achieve if I was a mod.

What you're suggesting would lead to major changes in the DB and that'll be a lot of work for moderators/admin. As for the ranking I don't mind if it drops from the first place to the last place. I decide my favourites based on my tastes, not what others think. Although I do believe being a part of Gintama fandom is more fun compared to other series, everyone has the same passion for the series as you and everyone generally is not obnoxious.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 29, 2016 5:45 PM

Oct 2009
Tyrel said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

oooh that's nice. That way the low ratings of the specials won't affect the main series.

Mar 29, 2016 5:47 PM

Sep 2011
Kiri_Meow said:
Tyrel said:

oooh that's nice. That way the low ratings of the specials won't affect the main series.
Yeah, that's just my opinion on how it should be done. It makes it fair for every show.
Mar 29, 2016 6:27 PM

Feb 2013
Along with some shows having much worse sequels-- Psycho Pass, Darker than Black, ect-- if we wanted to merge entries we'd also need to determine what counts as a sequel and what a spin off. For example, we wouldn't combine all of Gundam, or all of the Fate franchise, into one entry, right? Build Fighters and 00 are night and day, same with Fate/zero and Prillya. So where would we draw the line? Have each JJBA part count as a different anime or the same? Do movie sequels get merged into the television portion of the anime? How are the movies counted? What about remakes? OVA specials?

I dunno, seems like way to much work. It's fine as is.
KezmiMar 29, 2016 6:31 PM
Mar 29, 2016 6:29 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Kezone said:
Along with some shows having much worse sequels-- Psycho Pass, Darker than Black, ect-- if we wanted to merge entries we'd also need to determine what counts as a sequel and what a spin off. For example, we wouldn't combine all of Gundam, or all of the Fate franchise, into one entry, right? Build Fighters and 00 are night and day, same with Fate/zero and Prillya. So where would we draw the line? Have each JJBA part count as a different anime or the same? Do movie sequels get merged into the television portion of the anime? How are the movies counted? What about remakes? OVA specials?

I dunno, seems like way to much work. It's fine as is.
This is actually a really good example of why merging can't work.
Mar 29, 2016 6:37 PM

May 2015
Gator said:
No, why should it be done with Gintama and nothing else? Makes no sense. Also who cares about that list anyway?

holy shit this man speaks the truth
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Mar 29, 2016 6:37 PM

Sep 2011
Kuma said:
i would agree if not only apply to gintama. there is fucking tons of sequel in top anime as well. i don't get why only gintama that got such a thing.
the big thing that should be merged are split cours, judging them as multiple seasons is illogical since they are just single 2 cour or 4 cour shows that took a brief absence to keep production to finish things, whats even more baffling is how mal has merged many older split cour shows such as cowboy bebop which had a half year break mid way.

I can understand the notion that it'd be there so watching lists dont get crowded, but since ovas such as the currently airing thunderbolt already do that and can takes years to even finish and the use of the onhold list is completely viable i see no reason that the solution is just make seperate entries

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 29, 2016 6:38 PM

Mar 2016
Sterben0022 said:

if rankings mean nothin then y do u rate ur anime list? y not just enjoy anime for sake of enjoyment ?
Mar 29, 2016 6:43 PM

Mar 2015
a_silly_bear said:
Sterben0022 said:

if rankings mean nothin then y do u rate ur anime list? y not just enjoy anime for sake of enjoyment ?
personal score =/= cumulative score. personal score is from you and for you, when mal ratings is just those personal score cumulated. so it does doesn't have any effect teoricaly. especialy MAL which don't have any power in anime industries.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 29, 2016 6:46 PM

Mar 2016
Tyrel said:

this is good but i think people wil still complain. what bout just removin top rankings altogether from the site? but still allow users to rate their anime and manga in their list?
Mar 29, 2016 6:47 PM

Sep 2011
a_silly_bear said:
Tyrel said:

this is good but i think people wil still complain. what bout just removin top rankings altogether from the site? but still allow users to rate their anime and manga in their list?
People would complain about that too since a lot of users look up the top X list to see what's popular among the people watching it.
Mar 29, 2016 6:50 PM

Jul 2011
Nope, because it would remove a static source of salt from the site
Mar 29, 2016 7:04 PM

Mar 2016
Tyrel said:
People would complain about that too since a lot of users look up the top X list to see what's popular among the people watching it.

ya but i mean just get rid of the top anime list by ranking (the cumulative All anime tab).

if people want to see whats popular then keep the other tabs and restructure their ranking formula by popularity (# of members with the anime on their list). i think the "Seasonal anime" feature (under Top anime) already does this.

or just add the sorting feature in Seasonal Anime to the Top Anime by popularity List, so they could see most popular anime by season/year/etcc
Mar 29, 2016 7:14 PM
Aug 2015
HiatusXHiatus said:
Sterben0022 said:

I give that shit, why not both? We can enjoy watching while enjoy the series we watch rated high.

Then give your own personal ratings and don't worry about how other people rate the anime they watch. Like I said before MAL is by no means an official objective ranking of all best and worst anime in the world. Just because Gintama is higher ranked than HxH doesn't necessarily make it a better anime than it nor does it make it a worse one. It's all subjective. If you feel you really have to rate an anime then do it on your terms. I rate my anime purely on how much I enjoyed it. HxH is regarded as a very good anime by a large majority of anime fans so it has recognition if that's what you're worried about, otherwise I don't really know why you'd care if 10 different seasons of the same series populate the top 10 list of an unofficial anime database website.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Mar 30, 2016

251 by ThalosShrine »»
Apr 15, 8:12 PM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tyrel - Mar 2, 2016

113 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 20, 11:57 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 42 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Tyrel - Jan 27, 2016

241 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 18, 10:53 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Jan 13, 2016

251 by Nymbris »»
Mar 10, 6:09 AM

» Thoughts on this season (Spoilers)

RahulSenpai - Mar 8

13 by RulyKinkajou59 »»
Mar 10, 4:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.