Forum Settings
Forums

How do you differentiate "deep," "3deep5u," and pretentious anime?

New
Mar 19, 2016 1:09 AM

May 2013
People tend to say stuff like Ergo Proxy is "deep" (I think it's boring as shit and has an extremely simple theme. Maybe stuff that's "fake deep" that anyone can understand, like inception), stuff like Evangelion is "3deep5u" (lol u just don't get it, 2deep4u), and stuff like Code Geass is pretentious (These morals and themes are absolute, so deal with it).
Anyhow, I think they're all just varying levels of deepness, with the reality being that in reality, everything is shallow.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 19, 2016 1:19 AM

Mar 2015
All dark stuff are "fake deep". Slice of life is the real deal.
This salad is salty favored
Mar 19, 2016 1:23 AM

Apr 2013
What is pretentious isn't anime, it's the watcher looking down on it wrongly calling it "pretentious".
Now there's 3 types of "complex/deep/whateveryoucallit" ImO.

-The first type is the "complex/deep but spoon feeding the watcher in explaining every little bit to make sure every single person understand". That's what you call "deep", OP

-The second type is "complex/deep but leaving the effort to understand it to the watcher, no spoon feed". That's the usual " 2deep4you".

-The third type is simply covering up its simplicity/shallowness by making it look like it's complex (long explanation that actually don't make sense at all when you listen to them, because they're just intended to appear complex, they don't expect anime watcher to actually try to follow them in detail, for example). It's actually relatively rare. That's what many peoples here would call "pretentious", which is a fairly stupid way to name it ImO. Stuff like "edginess" and "dark" have nothing to do here, because they aren't faking anything, they aren't deep nor do they appear deep in anyway. Those stuff aren't intended to look deep/complex, they just are intended to look "cool" for the teenager to like it (example : Phantom : requiem for a phantom).

The thing is, what you're asking is impossible. Because the frontier between each of them is subjective. What do yo ucall complex/deep and what you don't, what do you call spoon feed and what you don't, every single part of it is SUBJECTIVE. it highly depends on your ability to understand the subject talked about, of your experience/taste in those specific things, of your personal knowledge on the subject, and so on .

Beware especially that what you could call "deep" and "2deep4u" aren't seprated by 'level" like you would like to rank them. Because if they aren't talking about the same subject, your subjective perception will vary, anjd 2 persons may rank the 2 same anime in different categories without being "wrong". There is no "wrong" nor "right" due to the sheer amount of subjectivity involved.
ZefyrisMar 19, 2016 1:27 AM
Mar 19, 2016 1:29 AM

May 2013
Zefyris said:
What is pretentious isn't anime, it's the watcher looking down on it wrongly calling it "pretentious".

Yes, yes, which is why I'm asking for some opinions
Zefyris said:

Now there's 3 types of "complex/deep/whateveryoucallit" ImO.

-The first type is the "complex/deep but spoon feeding the watcher in explaining every little bit to make sure every single person understand". That's what you call "deep", OP

-The second type is "complex/deep but leaving the effort to understand it to the watcher, no spoon feed". That's the usual " 2deep4you".

-The third type is simply covering up its simplicity/shallowness by making it look like it's complex (long explanation that actually don't make sense at all when you listen to them, because they're just intended to appear complex, they don't expect anime watcher to actually try to follow them in detail, for example). It's actually relatively rare. That's what many peoples here would call "pretentious", which is a fairly stupid way to name it ImO.

The thing is, what you're asking is impossible. Because the frontier between each of them is subjective. What do yo ucall complex/deep and what you don't, what do you call spoon feed and what you don't, every single part of it is SUBJECTIVE. it highly depends on your ability to understand the subject talked about, of your experience/taste in those specific things, of your personal knowledge on the subject, and so on.

Beware especially that what you could call "deep" and "2deep4u" aren't seprated by 'level" like you would like to rank them. Because if they aren't talking about the same subject, your subjective perception will vary, anjd 2 persons may rank the 2 same anime in different categories without being "wrong". There is no "wrong" nor "right" due to the sheer amount of subjectivity involved.

That makes sense and sounds quite plausible. But all of them are attempting to be deep; I'm just wondering how most people take it.
Mar 19, 2016 1:32 AM

Apr 2013
They aren't attempting anything, since anime aren't sentient.
They are what they are, without pretending~.
And as I said third case is rare.
Mar 19, 2016 1:33 AM

May 2013
Zefyris said:

What the creators are attempting. No need to be contrary for the sake of it =/ You know what I meant.
Mar 19, 2016 2:23 AM

May 2015
An anime that confuses me for no good reason is pretentious. An anime with a very serious tone but no depth, no meaningful symbols or moments is pretentious.

Pretentious is 'pretend', it's when an anime pretends to be something but under the surface it's not.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 19, 2016 2:56 AM

May 2015
Deep=watchable
2deep4me=barely watchable
3deep5me=Just not for me
ndeep(n+2)me where n>4=why even

I think that everyone should have realised by now that the term is used in a comedic manner. If anyone wanted to be an intellectual, they wouldn't even communicate in such an informal attitude and use slang terms in the first place.

The thing with philosophical animation is it tends to ask more questions than give answers. It might be a hit and mentally stimulating to other folks but I simply don't find any enjoyment in it.

And with NGE, the right word to describe it is 'gimmicky'.

It was a Deconstruction. A simple parody of its predecessors (with darker themes for maximum edge factor).
Why it was a such a cult classic... was it because of its religious symbolism?(get it? because religious cults love that stuff.)

Yes, I can see they put effort in symbolizing the scenery and the background music- the whole damn setting.
 Pyramids, the cup and the chalice, man and woman, night and day, crosses and everything in-between.
 Your Sigmund Freud musical influences and other various complexes.
I can see your sense of well-being leaking into your work. But I'm not going to delve any deeper into that, simply because I couldn't care less.

Like I said, before it tends to ask more questions than answers.
Why would you label aliens from other worlds 'Angels' when angels are extra-dimensional?
Why would you need intestines when you are a higher form of evolution? what's the excretory system for? 
Shouldn't you be a floating ball of energy instead? 
Why do you think turning back into Evolution goo is the best way way for society? Are you a Cast hive-mind or something?
Any living organism must learn to function, and you only learn from failures and past mistakes. That's what an enlightened existence will tell you, heck that existence wouldn't even probably care because you already learned that turning back to primal ooze was a mistake.
Why would you waste all your budget on cocaine when you haven't even finish making the final episode?
Why would you proceed with tax evasion and when you get caught, you proceed to tell every one that you are simply "Doing it for the future of the studio."?
These are a few of the questions that rise when you seek logic from fiction. (Theoretical Logic)

Though I listed various thing above, it simply was not the sole reason. The reason NGE was well received was because it cemented solid character design from the past. Your solid 'Tsundere' and 'Kuudere' has arrived-- all derived from its previous versions; of lum and yamato, of hot and cold, of sun and moon. And don't forget your titular good-for-nothing mc which is literally just air, a waste of existence.
That's what set the standard, not the cheeky symbolism or someones suicidal tendencies.

But in the end, my humble opinion is that it was simply a gimmicky Chinese Cartoon.

Nothing more, nothing less.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
xtraclownyMar 19, 2016 4:42 PM
Commercial success ≠ Critical acclaim -A. K. Hitler
"I'm not here for the crappy story, I am here for the top quality
chinese/vietnamese/korean outsourced Nippon animation"
-J. F. Cena

"My shitpost is better than your shitpost." Me
Mar 19, 2016 3:05 AM

Sep 2015
There aren't any pretentious anime. People use that when they don't understand something - at which point it isn't any different to saying "3deep5me" or whatever. It's a buzzword I'll ignore since people love throwing it around all the time.

I'll think of something as deep if there's more to it than what initially appears at the surface. If I have to start thinking about the themes and paying attention to every little detail then I'll think of the anime as being deep.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 19, 2016 3:33 AM

Nov 2012
Zefyris said:

It's the anime. Anyone who knows the real meaning of pretentious would know that anime is full of pretentious stuff. I don't look down on Revolutionary Girl Utena - in fact I love it, but I ain't gonna pretend it ain't pretentious with all the symbolism that probably has no intended meaning.

Zefyris said:

-The third type is simply covering up its simplicity/shallowness by making it look like it's complex (long explanation that actually don't make sense at all when you listen to them, because they're just intended to appear complex, they don't expect anime watcher to actually try to follow them in detail, for example). It's actually relatively rare. That's what many peoples here would call "pretentious", which is a fairly stupid way to name it ImO. Stuff like "edginess" and "dark" have nothing to do here, because they aren't faking anything, they aren't deep nor do they appear deep in anyway. Those stuff aren't intended to look deep/complex, they just are intended to look "cool" for the teenager to like it (example : Phantom : requiem for a phantom).

You just contradicted yourself. They cover up their simplicity with fake complexity, but they don't pretend to be complex or even appear to be complex?

Zefyris said:

The thing is, what you're asking is impossible. Because the frontier between each of them is subjective. What do yo ucall complex/deep and what you don't, what do you call spoon feed and what you don't, every single part of it is SUBJECTIVE. it highly depends on your ability to understand the subject talked about, of your experience/taste in those specific things, of your personal knowledge on the subject, and so on .

A lot of MAL users love to use this term "subjective" but they apply it to the wrong things. None of this is subjective. A spoon feed is a spoon feed, just like if the term was taken literally. Just because I don't call it a spoon feed, doesn't mean it isn't. The extent to which a show is spoon feeding is also objective - how much it affects the watching experience is subjective.

So yeah, pretty sure you just wrote a bunch of stuff that doesn't really make sense.
Mar 19, 2016 3:54 AM

Aug 2015
You simply do it by watching anime series and having an opinion on them.

For instance, I also found Ergo Proxy to be nothing more than average at best. Still, I really enjoyed the GITS series. Also, I think that both of those series certainly had an attempt at being "deep", but one tried too much and ended up being really boring and included a lot of useless fillers, in my opinion.
Mar 19, 2016 3:59 AM

Mar 2015
i simply differentiate them by i like it or not and i understand it or not. it's subjective after all.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 19, 2016 3:59 AM

Jan 2013
xtraclowny said:

lim ndeep(n+2)me =why even
n ->∞

FTFY

(30 character).........................................................................
Mar 19, 2016 4:04 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Anything normally found in a stereotypical elitist's favorite anime list
Mar 19, 2016 4:25 AM

Apr 2013
Lethargy said:
Zefyris said:

What the creators are attempting. No need to be contrary for the sake of it =/ You know what I meant.

Do you really think that working in an animation studio is the kind of environment fitting for pretentious peoples? That media is looked down upon by most peoples. Peoples whith inflated ego don't go in that line of work imo.
They write books for example. Like Tanaka with LOGH, I clearly felt like the author was pretentious.

Miraclezify said:
Zefyris said:

It's the anime. Anyone who knows the real meaning of pretentious would know that anime is full of pretentious stuff. I don't look down on Revolutionary Girl Utena - in fact I love it, but I ain't gonna pretend it ain't pretentious with all the symbolism that probably has no intended meaning.

Zefyris said:

You just contradicted yourself. They cover up their simplicity with fake complexity, but they don't pretend to be complex or even appear to be complex?

Zefyris said:

A lot of MAL users love to use this term "subjective" but they apply it to the wrong things. None of this is subjective. A spoon feed is a spoon feed, just like if the term was taken literally. Just because I don't call it a spoon feed, doesn't mean it isn't. The extent to which a show is spoon feeding is also objective - how much it affects the watching experience is subjective.

So yeah, pretty sure you just wrote a bunch of stuff that doesn't really make sense.

You have a serious problem with understanding what is objective and what is subjective. Spoon feeding is completely subjective. Why? Because depending of your ability to understand, of your knowledge on said subject, of your experience of that type of plot, you will need less or more explanation. Therefore, explanations will be felt as "too much" or "not enough" depending on subjective elements. At the result, if a story explain you absolutely everything you needed (and maybe even more) to understand without really thinking by yourself, it will be spoon feeding but... If someone else needed more things to be explained and needed to think a lot on top of the explanations needed to understand the whole thing, it won't be spoon feeding to him/her.
What you need to understand something is subjective, completely.

And no, an anime cannot be "pretentious"
ZefyrisMar 19, 2016 4:32 AM
Mar 19, 2016 4:57 AM

Aug 2014
Those are just buzzwords people use to make themself seem intelligent, nothing else to it.
Mar 19, 2016 5:14 AM

Jul 2014
Why the fuck would you use anime as a medium of some deep philosophical enquiry?

Literally 98% of anime is designed to appeal to some Freudian lapsed time bomb who never got to stick his dick in a high school girl. Almost everything is right there on the surface, explained in dialogue, monologue, and soliloquy. If attempting to interpret some fucked up fantasy that isn't a string of cliched lines is "deep" to you then I suggest never trying to get into literature. You will be unceremoniously destroyed and dismantled by some god-emperor who spent three and a half decades studying this stupid shit at some institution that was so "graced" to have him.

Please stop searching for meaning, it hurts my soul.
Mar 19, 2016 9:46 AM

Jun 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
An anime that confuses me for no good reason is pretentious. An anime with a very serious tone but no depth, no meaningful symbols or moments is pretentious.

Pretentious is 'pretend', it's when an anime pretends to be something but under the surface it's not.

^ Pretty much this. Something is pretentious when it pretends.

I won't immediately deem something as pretentious if it actually attempts to bring some substance outside of whatever philosophy or meaning it's trying to present.
Mar 19, 2016 9:52 AM

May 2015
Pretentious is just a buzzword thrown out by the community for the sake of appearing more intelligent than they actually are. So I don't tend to address it.

There are three types of "deep": the show that focuses on a few themes and actually tries to address them in-show, the show that tries to touch on tons of themes and commentary just for the sake of it, and the show that's nearly incomprehensible. However, just what is 2deep is up to the viewer's opinion, so in the end, being "deep" really doesn't matter at all.
Mar 19, 2016 9:57 AM

Jun 2015
Those words are plain subjective. If you truly want to get your point across, you better explain why is deep/complex/mature/whatever, why it is exceeding itself or why it's only worrying about its facade, when the undertones might be shallow and uninspiring.
Mar 19, 2016 9:59 AM
Mar 2016
I don't differ between them. They're all weaboo tier trash to me. I'd rather watch something which I can enjoy.
SaltArtOnlineMar 19, 2016 10:11 AM
Mar 19, 2016 10:02 AM

Jul 2015
I don't know really, there is no clear distinction, mostly subjective I guess.

I think Ghost in the Shell is deep but I can't really think of an anime that I think is pretentious. Maybe GitS 2 innocence but that's still one of my absolute favourites.

I find plenty of anime to be boring plot-wise though. I like everything about Hyouka for example -except the story which is just pathetic imo, same with 5 cm per second but then I loved garden of Words. Bottom line is my idea of pretentious contra "deep" is quite arbitrary or at least very fluent.
Mar 19, 2016 10:04 AM

Dec 2015
MAL 101:
Deep = I liked it
3deep5me = I kind of liked it
Pretentious = I didn't like it or didn't get it

Honestly, as Lordwen said, it's all subjective.

These terms have no meaning, because the meaning is always bias whenever I see people say them on here. Yet, they will argue as if their insight is based on fact.
Banner credit to @turnip
Mar 19, 2016 10:16 AM

May 2013
Zefyris said:
Lethargy said:

Do you really think that working in an animation studio is the kind of environment fitting for pretentious peoples? That media is looked down upon by most peoples. Peoples whith inflated ego don't go in that line of work imo.
They write books for example. Like Tanaka with LOGH, I clearly felt like the author was pretentious.

The creators can attempt to make it deep, and the result could make it appear pretentious.

Plenty of anime try to be deep. I'm saying that for most people, those animes normally end up in one of those three categories. I was looking for some opinions (hopefully interesting perspectives), but unfortunately, most MAL users are dumb as fk and don't understand that their opinions are opinions and not the word of god.
Mar 19, 2016 2:06 PM

Jan 2014
Simple: They're all the same thing, basically "I don't like it."
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 19, 2016 2:56 PM

Apr 2013
Lethargy said:
Zefyris said:

The creators can attempt to make it deep, and the result could make it appear pretentious.

Plenty of anime try to be deep. I'm saying that for most people, those animes normally end up in one of those three categories. I was looking for some opinions (hopefully interesting perspectives), but unfortunately, most MAL users are dumb as fk and don't understand that their opinions are opinions and not the word of god.

but in such case they do not "pretend". Their creator tried to make it "deep" but according to your subjective criteria, they simply failed to reach such status.
It's not like the creator is telling you "it's deep" or anything. You're presented with the resulting show, and you will be the one to decide (for yourself) if it's deep or not according to subjective criteria. At no moment there is pretension or assumption of anything here.
Mar 19, 2016 3:01 PM

Jan 2015
Zankyou No Terror is the perfect exampel.
Mar 19, 2016 3:11 PM

May 2015
Deep: I watched it and it wasn't shit.
Examples: Tatami Galaxy
Pretentious: I watched it and I thought it sucked.
Examples: RainyRai
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Mar 19, 2016 3:48 PM

Feb 2015
Latent said:
Why the fuck would you use anime as a medium of some deep philosophical enquiry?

Literally 98% of anime is designed to appeal to some Freudian lapsed time bomb who never got to stick his dick in a high school girl. Almost everything is right there on the surface, explained in dialogue, monologue, and soliloquy. If attempting to interpret some fucked up fantasy that isn't a string of cliched lines is "deep" to you then I suggest never trying to get into literature. You will be unceremoniously destroyed and dismantled by some god-emperor who spent three and a half decades studying this stupid shit at some institution that was so "graced" to have him.

Eh, I don't think accusations of personal pretension is by any means a demerit to a series that wants to be a bit deeper and thoughtful, and to be honest, this sort-of elitism among literature enthusiasts directed towards fans of animation I find very tiresome and childish (though obviously, literature is a far richer medium... I just find that sort of sentiment you expressed rather infantile).

OT: Well, going along similar lines as what Brain said, if an anime confuses the viewer for no good reason, it's not what I'd call a good thematic presentation. Evangelion's 25+26, for example, are pretty piss-poor in conveying their messages clearly, since it's done through convoluted and largely nonsensical philosophical monologuing, while something like Texhnolyze, doesn't rely on exposition too much, and on top of that has a very simple message to convey. Aria, to use an example of a series with basically the exact opposite messages and mood of Tex, conveys it's "deep" content through simple character interactions and dialog, though, it's presented in a simple, and clear way.

In short, I think being concise, and making sense is most important, even if it's in a series that isn't centered around it's thematic aspects (aka, "deep anime").
RefractingMar 19, 2016 3:51 PM
Mar 19, 2016 3:52 PM

Mar 2015
FLCL is deep. Evangelion 3deep5u and deep. Madoka is pretentious.

Latent said:

"95%" spotted the retard who doesn't know what they're talking about. Here's some advice to everyone, not just this guy, don't use percentages without citations unless you want to look dumb.
LancimusPrimeMar 19, 2016 4:02 PM
Mar 19, 2016 4:00 PM

Jul 2015
If it's sad, it's deep

If it's a meme, it's 3deep5u

If people don't understand it, it's pretentious
Mar 19, 2016 4:12 PM

Sep 2015
NateMKII said:

Wait I'm confused, why is Madoka considered to be pretentious?

Rarity is Best Pony!
Mar 19, 2016 4:14 PM

Mar 2014
Let's just call them type 1, 2, and 4. I like Zephyris' answer the most.
1. Psycho-Pass. Themes explained in the form of long monologues, nobody could possibly miss them unless they just weren't paying attention at all. Spoon feeding essentially. HxH is a bit like this, but mostly with its plot, not its themes.

2. FLCL. The story is perfectly coherent but expects you to figure most of it out on your own. Things like Naota drinking the sour drink and baseball are incredibly important, but it doesn't go out of its way to tell you so. A lot of the pieces rely on later information so this usually requires rewatching. I like this because you can get the most story/themes/development/etc. without devoting time to explanations that might break the flow of the story. Serial Experiments Lain is like this but raises questions more than anything else and I get more confused the more I feel I understand it. There's also Tex amd Haibane Renmei. Kaiba's like this as well but relays information through its visual so well that it isn't confusing at all.

Type 4. The only show I can think of that fits is Ergo Proxy. Not the whole show, but some of its episodic parts. Normally I'm hesitant to say something os pretending, but after asking many of its fans about certain episodes, rewatching it, and looking up answers myself, I can't really call it anything else. Nonsensical monologues delivered by lecturous old dudes broken up by Vincent clutching his head and saying he can't remember anything. I have no idea what to make of this and apparently, neither does anyone else. Luckily this only applies to certain "filler" episodes, so it's not that bad.
Mar 19, 2016 4:16 PM

Mar 2015
QABJAB said:
NateMKII said:

I don't want to go into detail so this video can explain it for me
Mar 19, 2016 4:23 PM
Dec 2015
Pretentious is just a buzzword people use because they cant actually point out anything really wrong with something.
Deep&2deep4u are subjective because it really depends on whether you are capable of understanding the work or not. For example most people say that Lain is really confusing, you need to watch twice or thrice to understand everything but I honestly understood it quite well in my first viewing itself.
Mar 19, 2016 4:26 PM

Jul 2015
Sounds like elitists will spam with hate posts this thread :P
Mar 19, 2016 4:30 PM

Mar 2015
orion_gospel said:
First, learn how to speak proper english. Second, referring to elitists as a separate group from your own implies that you feel a sense of superiority, which in turn makes you an elitist as well.

Eliahpari said:
Pretentious is just a buzzword people use because they cant actually point out anything really wrong with something.
Deep&2deep4u are subjective because it really depends on whether you are capable of understanding the work or not. For example most people say that Lain is really confusing, you need to watch twice or thrice to understand everything but I honestly understood it quite well in my first viewing itself.

Pretentious is not a buzzword, how much thought did you put into that thought?
Pretentious- attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed

In other words, a show attempts to be deep when it isn't really deep.
Mar 19, 2016 4:32 PM

Jul 2015
NateMKII said:
orion_gospel said:
First, learn how to speak proper english. Second, referring to elitists as a separate group from your own implies that you feel a sense of superiority, which in turn makes you an elitist as well.

Eliahpari said:

Pretentious- attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed

My post was just for fun and not to insult.
English is not my native language. Are you a grammar nazi?
Mar 19, 2016 4:33 PM

Mar 2015
orion_gospel said:
NateMKII said:

No, i'm just annoyed about how little thinking people do in these types of threads, and instead just say "lol its an opinion" or it turns into a elitist flamewar.
Mar 19, 2016 4:35 PM

Apr 2014
NateMKII said:
orion_gospel said:

Eliahpari said:

it is a buzzword because ppl dont use it properly in the anime community.
Mar 19, 2016 4:36 PM

Jul 2015
NateMKII said:
orion_gospel said:

No, i'm just annoyed about how little thinking people do in these types of threads, and instead just say "lol its an opinion" or it turns into a elitist flamewar.

Yes you are right, i'm not saying you are wrong, but what i said was purely for fun.
Little thinking people huh? Generalize much? Now i think i understand why you were bothered by my post.
Mar 19, 2016 4:38 PM

Mar 2015
orion_gospel said:
NateMKII said:

Yes you are right, i'm not saying you are wrong, but what i said was purely for fun.
Little thinking people huh? Generalize much? Now i think i understand why you were bothered by my post.
I'm not saying everyone does little thinking, just that a lot do. Plenty of people make actual thoughtful responses, see
merryfistmas' post.
Mar 19, 2016 4:40 PM

Jul 2015
NateMKII said:
orion_gospel said:

I'm not saying everyone does little thinking, just that a lot do. Plenty of people make actual thoughtful responses, see
merryfistmas' post.

Didn't read his/her post. I'll give it a look.
Anyway, i hope we "solved" this misunderstanding.
Mar 19, 2016 4:40 PM

Oct 2014
Calling an anime pretentious does not simply mean one didn't get it. How does that make sense?

If anyone knew the actual definition of the word, and not just the one they have in their head/what they seem to think it implies, or simple synonyms of the word, they'd know that.

Pretentious literally just means something attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.
Mar 19, 2016 4:42 PM

Apr 2014
crestofhonesty said:
Calling an anime pretentious does not simply mean one didn't get it. How does that make sense?

If anyone knew the actual definition of the word, and not just the one they have in their head/what they seem to think it implies, or simple synonyms of the word, they'd know that.

Pretentious literally just means something attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.
thats subjective because what u might think is attempting to impress might actually be impressing.
Mar 19, 2016 4:46 PM
Sep 2011
QABJAB said:
NateMKII said:

Because it's not any more deep or thought-provoking than any other magical girl show. It's just the cheap bait and switch stunt that shocked the viewers into thinking it's something more deep and meaningful.

"Gasp! Death has consequences!" ...It always has.

"Selfnessness is selfishness!" That's just Urobuchi being cynical.

"Hope and despair balance out to zero!" How is that deep? It just sounds nihilistic.

So basically it's a typical magical girl show made dark and gritty, peppered with Urobuchi's cynical "themes" as a way of making it seem more profound. One needs look no further than how shallow the characters are.

"But the characters are supposed to be generic archetypes because deconstruction!" That's just a flimsy excuse, and whether or not the show is a deconstruction is a whole nother can of worms.

xtraclowny said:

The thing with philosophical animation is it tends to ask more questions than give answers. It might be a hit and mentally stimulating to other folks but I simply don't find any enjoyment in it.

Same. Especially when the show is so riddled with symbolism and artsy-ness that no one can agree on the meaning of it all.

People treat it like the bible interpreting it their way and getting into nasty arguments over the meaning of a woman turning into a car.

It also comes off as lazy on the writer's part when they raise a bunch of questions or throw symbolism at the screen and say "figure it out for yourself". Which is where the label of pretentious can come in, since it gives the impression that the writers only put half effort into the show, releasing an unfinished product and expecting the viewer to fill in the blanks.
Mar 19, 2016 4:47 PM

Oct 2014
moodie said:
thats subjective because what u might think is attempting to impress might actually be impressing.

Well... exactly?! Most all things are subjective.
Just because person A calls X anime pretentious doesn't mean person B thinks the same thing.

I think Death Parade is/got pretentious, doesn't mean everyone else in the world needs to think that. If someone enjoyed Death Parade in its entirety, awesome for them.
Mar 19, 2016 4:50 PM

Mar 2015
RLinksoul said:

"But the characters are supposed to be generic archetypes because deconstruction!"

I don't get this, how do people think madoka is a deconstruction? What does it actually deconstruct? It doesn't even have half-decent characters or world building.
Mar 19, 2016 4:50 PM

Jun 2015
moodie said:
crestofhonesty said:

He means attempting to impress in terms of intellect, not quality.
Mar 19, 2016 5:00 PM
Sep 2011
NateMKII said:
RLinksoul said:

"But the characters are supposed to be generic archetypes because deconstruction!"

I don't get this, how do people think madoka is a deconstruction? What does it actually deconstruct? It doesn't even have half-decent characters or world building.

Because people have this idea in their head that if you take a fantasy concept, do a dark subversion of it, that's what that concept would be like in real life.

The meaning of deconstruction is constantly argued, but for most people it boils down to "This thing, but with the realistic implications explored" so a magical girl show where the characters get brutally killed, the powers come with a terrible price and the mascot has ulterior motives, is seen as a deconstruction of the genre because it twists expectations in a cruel way.

Edit: As for the characters, the claim typically is that the characters are supposed to be bland because a deconstruction puts generic archetypes in a subversive setting and shows how they'd react when everything good about their typical setting is subverted cruelly.
RLinksoulMar 19, 2016 5:18 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 2 hours ago

17 by red-tomato »»
2 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

3 by Spunkert »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

31 by Reecey91 »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 4 hours ago

22 by perseii »»
9 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 11 hours ago

18 by MasterTasuke »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.