Forum Settings
Forums

Do you believe that watching airing stuff ruins Immersion?

New
Mar 1, 2016 9:16 PM

Jan 2016
I'm just curious if there's anyone like me here.

I avoid watching airing stuff. I wait for a season to be finished to watch shows in its full glory.

My reasoning is that I can't be fully immersed to a show if I'm regularly waiting for weekly 22 to 25 minutes episode... It's no fun too.

Heck, even SoLs who I believe isn't meant to be binge watched... I watch 2 episodes a day, every day...

So, is there anyone like me, here?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 1, 2016 9:25 PM

Dec 2015
I don't really like waiting every week for a show, but if it's good, I wouldn't really mind.

Jan 2009
nah i grow up watching anime on TV so its either new episodes to watch everyday or every week too, so it becomes a habit of mine to watch new ones as soon as they come, i also find enjoyment on reading weekly episode comments and arguments as well as theories of the future episodes

Nov 2015
Yes.
Yesyesyes...

My thoughts exactly.
I tried watching One Punch Man while airing & I thought that it could've been a better experience if I could binge-watch it or at least watch one episode per day.

I have a really short attention span so I tend to forget what happened last week by the time the next episode airs..
Mar 1, 2016 9:27 PM

Oct 2014
It depends on what show it is. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is an 11 episode anime that spans over four days but took three months to air. Full Moon wo Sagashite is a 52 episode anime that spans over one year and took one year to air. Watching these anime while they were airing would result in different experiences.
Mar 1, 2016 9:28 PM

Jan 2016
GesuYarou said:

I have a really short attention span so I tend to forget what happened last week by the time the next episode airs..

I also have this problem... lol...

Once, my internet was gone for a month... and I'm still on the middle of watching Durarara!.... when it came back, I felt the need to rewatch the episodes I've watched . Just to immerse in it again.
Mar 1, 2016 9:41 PM

Nov 2015
Depends on the show. I remember not too long ago waiting for Owarimonogatari to finish airing so I could binge watch it (longest few months of my life lol) and was happy I did so by the end of it. I feel like certain genres are better when binged but I also found enjoyment being up to date on certain shows. Watching Hibike Euphonium was awesome week-to-week. Now I'm watching Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and I'm enjoying it but idk how it would be if I binged it. I will say shows that you KNOW are going to have some emotional climax are probably better binged because of the immersion.
Mar 1, 2016 9:43 PM
Oct 2014
I wouldn't say it ruins immersion, but I don't like to read/watch/experience anything that's not finished.

I'm impatient by nature, which you would think would mean I want to see it right when it comes out. However, in my case my impatience has just the opposite effect. I at least have enough self-control to not start watching something, so I have no problem putting it out of my mind for a few months. But once I start watching it, I want to see it NOW NOW NOW!
Mar 1, 2016 9:44 PM

Jan 2010
I suppose it does in a way. It probably works better if you watched shows at your own pace, rather than at the preset pace of one episode per week. Though, with the assumption that due to how anime typically airs, the intended pace for them to be watched may just be that once per week rate. It's interesting to think about actually. Does an anime's intended viewing pace have any effect on how the viewer's experiences? By watching too fast or too slow, would you get anything different out of the show?

At the very least, the best example I can think of are anime that are heavily reliant on cliffhangers. Waiting a week - or months if it's between seasons - for the next episode could ruin any built up tension or interest. A marathon could make the anime feel like a high tension series of shocking events, while watching on a weekly basis could make you feel like you're being strung along.
Mar 1, 2016 9:47 PM

Jun 2014
Hell no, for the majority of shows at least.

Things like openings and recaps are immersion breaking when not watching weekly, but when seasonal they're a natural process.

Almost all shows are produced to be watched this intended way, it also keeps you from not losing your sanity in shows with filler or terrible pacing.
Mar 1, 2016 9:47 PM

Sep 2015
Isnt waiting part of fun? like "Ohh I wonder will happen next!" :o
Mar 1, 2016 9:50 PM

Jan 2016
NerdyNekoSama said:
Isnt waiting part of fun? like "Ohh I wonder will happen next!" :o

No. At least for me.... I might will forget what has transpired last week.
Mar 1, 2016 9:53 PM

Feb 2016
Yeah, I got you bro, right now I'm waiting to Musaigen and Dagashi Kashi to finish, not to talk of Naruto that I been waiting AGES to finish, but the fucking fillers won't stop, it's sad....
''Ask not the Sparrow, how the Eagle soars'' - Kiryūin Satsuki
Mar 1, 2016 9:58 PM

Sep 2015
No, at least not for me. I can understand why people don't like to wait a week for the next episode, though.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Mar 1, 2016 9:59 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
No, doesn't really make a difference for me whether I watch anime weekly or binge watch it after it finishes airing

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Mar 1, 2016 10:00 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
CapitalistGod said:

I avoid watching airing stuff. I wait for a season to be finished to watch shows in its full glory.

My reasoning is that I can't be fully immersed to a show if I'm regularly waiting for weekly 22 to 25 minutes episode... It's no fun too.

Heck, even SoLs who I believe isn't meant to be binge watched... I watch 2 episodes a day, every day...

didn't you grow up having to wait a week for new episodes of TV shows to come out?
Mar 1, 2016 10:06 PM

Jan 2016
Mamster-P said:
CapitalistGod said:

didn't you grow up having to wait a week for new episodes of TV shows to come out?

I grew up with that.... Doesn't change the fact that my immersion is messed up whenever I wait for days now...The minimum would be 3 to 4 days tbh.
Mar 1, 2016 10:16 PM

Jan 2016
I don't like having to wait for another episode every week but if the anime's good it's fine (after all it's not like I don't have other stuff to think about). Other than that, I don't really find a problem with watching airing animes (otherwise I wouldn't have watched Naruto Shippuden or Fairy Tail). Although if we talk about shorter animes I wanted to wait for KonoSuba to air completely to start it but I couldn't resist the curiosity and started it (I don't regret doing so).
Mar 1, 2016 10:19 PM

Nov 2015
Eh kinda. Like I enjoy a good 10 of the currently airing... but I'm an episode or two behind with no plans of watching them any time soon just because I don't want to be left with a week long cliff hanger. I;d rather watch at my own pace of 5-9 episodes a day than one a week.
Mar 1, 2016 10:29 PM

Nov 2009
> Do you believe that watching airing stuff ruins Immersion?
Some shows (especially the plot-driven kind that end on cliffhangers all the time) are better binge-watched.

But for some other kinds of shows, I believe that a week between episodes is part of the experience. Rokka no Yuusha, for example, gives you enough time between episodes to make your own theories, share them with other people on forums, get confused by spoilers...
Mar 1, 2016 10:33 PM

Jan 2016
flannan said:
> Do you believe that watching airing stuff ruins Immersion?
Some shows (especially the plot-driven kind that end on cliffhangers all the time) are better binge-watched.

But for some other kinds of shows, I believe that a week between episodes is part of the experience. Rokka no Yuusha, for example, gives you enough time between episodes to make your own theories, share them with other people on forums, get confused by spoilers...

Even mystery shows... I binge watch... Although, I give myself a few minutes to think about things before continuing to the next episode.
Mar 1, 2016 10:35 PM

Jun 2015
Not really.
Having time to think about the show in between episodes can actually help with it.
You can start to think about what you would do in the situations, for instance.

That being said, I hardly keep up with airing shows.

Mar 1, 2016 10:40 PM

Apr 2015
Depends on the show but in the most part no. They are broadcast weekly for a reason...

I acknowledge that adaptations are prone to spoilers. That's why original series should be encouraged, anticipating/debating/maybe fighting about the next episode is the best part about watching a weekly show of any kind

But the industry isn't shaped that way
Mar 1, 2016 10:47 PM

Aug 2014
Only issues on waiting to binge-watch are being spoiled and not being to partake in episode discussions as they come out. Usually I watch the most interesting 1-3 series of the season weekly and save the others with less priority for later. Recently I haven't been watching anything weekly though.

Mar 1, 2016 11:05 PM
Jul 2015
Depends on the show. Katanagatari for example is better watching it very slow IMO so it would be very nice watching it while it was airing.

In general I found episodic anime and thrillers better if I watch them while they are being aired or in a very slow pace.

Mar 1, 2016 11:22 PM

Sep 2009
Yes; In fact, I believe watching in not-bluray without headphones detracts from immersion.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 1, 2016 11:23 PM

Mar 2010
I don't believe it ruins immersion, however I'm usually too impatient to watch airing series (aside from few exceptions).
Mar 1, 2016 11:40 PM

Jan 2016
XengRyu said:
If the show is really that great, even you don't binge watch it, the immersion can't be break that easily.

The problem is that my memory can easily break my immersion easily.
Mar 1, 2016 11:45 PM

Apr 2013
I only watch long-running shows like One Piece when they air, for everything else I wait for the BDs. But not because of immersion, but because I want the best quality and sometimes there's additional content.
Mar 2, 2016 12:58 AM

Feb 2013
im a slow watcher anyway so 3 months is just the upper limit of what it would normally take me
Mar 2, 2016 1:13 AM

Jul 2013
Tbh, I never made myself that question until this moment, now that you have bring it. Personally, I feel that marathoning a series makes you enjoy it less, as because you can watch all the episodes at once and when you want, you lose the emotion or watching it week to week, the cliffhangers becomes less impactful because you will see what happened in no time, etc.

Just imagine maratoning Boku Dake (a series who loves to ends the episodes in cliffhangers or interesting moments), you will lost the shock value unless you decide to watch and episode per day.
Mar 2, 2016 1:22 AM

May 2015
I don't really get how 'immersion' works. I don't immerse myself in a show, but always take mental notes.

Or is that not immersion?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 2, 2016 1:25 AM

Oct 2011
Rewatching the episode probably helps

As for me, it doesn't matter if it's airing or not since 24 minutes is a duration long enough for me to get boredimmersed. If the episode ends, I'd just spend time reflecting on the show as I wait or decide to watch the next episode. I can understand that some believe that it breaks immersion if they are used to binge-watching shows.
Mar 2, 2016 1:29 AM

Jan 2016
TheBrainintheJar said:
I don't really get how 'immersion' works. I don't immerse myself in a show, but always take mental notes.

It's an entirely personal thing. I can't immerse or get into or enjoy an anime if my memory of the last episodes is gone. My memory is the problem here.
Mar 2, 2016 1:32 AM
Jan 2015
Nah, the anticipation for the next episode is part of the fun of it.
My Queens

Mar 2, 2016 1:39 AM

Aug 2010
I thought it would, but it doesn't to me!
If the anime is good, I just can't wait to be next week, like I'm almost about to set up the alarm to wake up just when the episode is coming out haha

Well, I also think it's a part of the fun!
Mar 2, 2016 1:39 AM

Apr 2015
What I do with some shows is that I watch them weekly but I rewatch the previous episode just before the new one, I think that helps with the immersion and if you tend to forget what happened the previous week
Mar 2, 2016 1:51 AM

Aug 2015
I have been thinking about this for a while now... I'd prefer watching the series as a whole rather than wait a week for the next episode, yet I still watch them as they appear. Not sure if I should change my watching habits regarding this particular area...
Mar 2, 2016 2:08 AM

Jun 2013
Nah, i like watching weekly stuff, because if i pass i might not watch it all in once, i'm to lazy
Mar 3, 2016 12:59 AM

May 2015
CapitalistGod said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

It's an entirely personal thing. I can't immerse or get into or enjoy an anime if my memory of the last episodes is gone. My memory is the problem here.

I can understand you. It's also why I don't watch airing anime until they're close to finish. I want to watch the episodes is close proximity so I have the story clear in my head.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 3, 2016 1:02 AM

Sep 2015
Hmm. Na. Cliffhangers wouldn't work nearly as well if you were binge-watching them.
Boku Dake ended on a cliffhanger for the last few episodes in a row, and they wouldn't have been as powerful without the waiting period inbetween, IMO.

TheBrainintheJar said:

One way of measuring one's immersion would be if you didn't notice the time had passed. I was watching Spice and Wolf S2 last night and the ending of an episode came as a complete surprise to me. "Wait what, that's 20 mins gone already? Huh? No way!" was my reaction. It completely caught me off-guard.
I was that immersed and enjoying what was going on that I hadn't realised.
That's my take on it, anyway.
MazMar 3, 2016 11:53 AM
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 3, 2016 11:46 AM

Jan 2013
ItsMaz said:
Hmm. Na. Cliffhangers wouldn't work nearly as well if you were binge-watching them.
Boku Dake ended on a cliffhanger for the last few episodes in a row, and they wouldn't have been as powerful without the waiting period inbetween, IMO.

TheBrainintheJar said:

One way of measuring one's immersion would be if you didn't motice the time had passed. I was watching Spice and Wolf S2 last night and the ending of an episode came as a complete surprise to me. "Wait what, that's 20 mins gone already? Huh? No way!" was my reaction. It completely caught me off-guard.
I was that immersed and enjoying what was going on that I hadn't realised.
That's my take on it, anyway.

This guy gets it.
*character limit*
Mar 3, 2016 12:28 PM

Apr 2015
No. Then again, I did grow up on Toonami. So I most likely have a different perspective on things. >_>
Mar 3, 2016 1:24 PM

Feb 2016
I agree with OP. I cannot stand the interval in-between episodes. I rather wait for the season to finish.
man_of_cultureMar 3, 2016 1:28 PM
Mar 3, 2016 1:27 PM
Jul 2018
I actually feel like it adds to immersion since if it's a really good show you treasure every minute of the episode since you have to wait a week+ till the next one. Though I agree with everyone that the waiting is dreadful. I prefer to marathon a show, but I feel like watch the show the first time through while its broadcasting equates to a more meaningful experience.
Mar 3, 2016 1:32 PM

Feb 2016
Oh yes.. those were the days, waiting patiently for all eps to be aired and then watch them all in one night :3 That was the golden rule for me :D For some reason, starting this year, I'm watching eps as soon as they are aired, and I seem to forget part of the last ep I've seen, it makes me feel old :D 2016 is definitely not my year :D So I guess I feel ya :D
Mar 3, 2016 1:47 PM

Mar 2014
I don't really have this problem with this. Part of the fun of One Punch Man was the hype after every episode, I was looking forward to the next episode every week. I'd rather marathon Boku Dake, but I wouldn't say watching it weekly is an issue for me.
Mar 3, 2016 1:52 PM

Sep 2015
Well, I am not a seasonal anime watcher myself and I do prefer to watch already completed anime or when airing anime is near its end. But If that airing anime is interesting enough, watching it one by one weekly isn't a problem for me either, won't gonna ruin the immersion for me.
Well come to think about it again, as another posters have said, the cliffhanger would be give more impact to me when it watched weekly than when I binge and marathon it.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Mar 3, 2016 1:53 PM

Jun 2012
I don't really have an issue with following a show on a week by week basis and allowing myself to be immersed with each episode. I usually don't get the time to watch anime every single day, so I tend to take it whenever I can get. I find it easy to be able to kick back after a stressful day of work and let myself be taken away to a world of an anime if that anime allows me to do so. And I don't mean to be pessimistic, but most shows nowadays don't allow me to get completely immersed in them. I don't know whether it's because of my greater appreciation for manga or if it is the fact that I've been watching anime for a long time. I do enjoy what I watch, but the level of immersion has certainly gone down quite a lot, like I find myself fidgeting during an episode or wanting to get up and go do something else half way through an episode.

But to revert to giving a more clear cut answer - I think that it's not hard to sit down and temporarily let a show take over. It's just that there are set parameters within the confined time limit of how many episodes I am going to watch, whether it be a 20 minute episode of a single show or watching 4 episodes of 4 different shows. Too much immersion is not necessarily a great thing as it can leave you longing for more and more. Whenever you hear about "the void" or "the anime blues", it's mostly because people had a hard time coming out of that state of immersion. It can leave you longing for more than what is available and can be an addictive thing. Every hobby should have a limit of how much you immerse yourself into it, whether it be building tiny ships in a glass bottle or watching an anime. There is a lot more to life than what you do to blow off some steam.
HolybaptiserMar 3, 2016 2:02 PM
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Mar 4, 2016 2:53 AM

Apr 2010
I prefer whathing in one time, and not to wait every week. But most of the time, it's not animes I can't tolerate to watch one a week. When I know it one which does, I'll watch it when I have time.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » how many of your favorite characters are evil?

deg - May 12

11 by IrrelevantGuy »»
1 minute ago

» Is the concept of a villain stupid?

Anjuro - 7 minutes ago

0 by Anjuro »»
7 minutes ago

» Does our opinions of characters reflect how we treat other people?

Zamus_Edits - Yesterday

10 by Lhundrup »»
8 minutes ago

» So, what's the oldest anime you've ever watched?

Gashadokur0 - 1 hour ago

15 by SilentAssassin88 »»
17 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 10

99 by Maou_heika »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.