Forum Settings
Forums

What you're an anime fan!? But you look so normal!!

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 10, 2016 10:19 PM

Jun 2015
Similar experiences whenever the people in my school's athletic club realize for the nth time I'm a fan or when my nerd friends once again realize I'm in the athletic club. Though the last part about the relationship becoming awkward hasn't really happened. A little bit with a close friend from high school. She joined the military and basically became a bad-ass and I became a nerd so our recent brief reunion was awkward at first.
Feb 10, 2016 10:28 PM
Mar 2015
Do you guys have any similar experiences?

Well, my friends and I do tease each other like that: “Y u read manga, u hve no life, bruh.” “U r so pathetic, stop watchin’ these damn Chinese cartoons” and so on. Yet no one has ever tried to offend me because of that.
Feb 10, 2016 10:29 PM

May 2009
Mamster-P said:
i can't tell you HOW MANY TIMES i've gotten these phrases

"i can't believe you're this big fun black guy and you're profile is full of all this anime"

"you don't look like someone who watches anime" <--- another person who'd met me offline through another website

"you don't look like someone who's into anime" <--- someone who i know online who i sent a pic too

"if i' didn't know you, and i saw you, i never would've guessed you'd be into anime"

"you sound black" <--- someone hearing my voice for the first time on skype

"HOLY SHIT, YOU'RE BLACK!" <--- again, someone hearing my voice on skype

i guess when you're 6'4 and black with a deep ass voice you're only expected to like movies, sports r&b and hip hop, and not "my waifu anime" :(

even when i let people know i like anime, i usually have to prove it too them, cause its like, no one ever immediately believes me cause i look so ghetto to some ppl xD

but theres TONS of anime fans here, and many big cons, so im good overall

found u.

I haven't noticed a pattern of anime watcher people of whom that be what they do looking a particular way so I can't say I'd be surprised regardless of who likes what while looking one way or another.

Latest Review
Kino's Journey
Feb 10, 2016 10:35 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
LMAO i havent seen that pic in a long ass time, well i WISH i was that swole, but not even remotely close, but im tall af, so w/e lol

but yea i am a 6'4 black guy whos room is 90% anime girl stuff lol
Feb 10, 2016 10:39 PM

Nov 2015
Ive never had that problem before. Its just that I dont go talking about anime out of place. I dont believe you will be talking about anime or doing anime related stuff in a place that isnt suited.

That would be why it doesnt show on someone. And when someone who actually knows about anime and finds out that you are a fan its like WOOW!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 10, 2016 10:53 PM
May 2015
I'm like the person in anime that sits in the back-corner of the class and watches everyone do their thing. Only then do I decide who to talk to about anime and other nerdy stuff. Because I know what everyone is into for the most part. Most reactions I've gotten have been fairly normal I'd say. Mostly "that's kinda weird," but I'm weird anyways so I guess that's what people expect. I don't care if someone knows that I like anime, but I'm not open about it either. Also people don't shit-talk me, I think that's intimidation because I got an angry ass neutral face, lol.
Feb 10, 2016 11:00 PM

Nov 2009
Personally I usually mention that I'm an anime fan when introducing myself. It's easier than explaining people my other hobby (tabletop RPGs).
Tabletop RPGs are more awesome, of course, but they're so rare and so hard to explain that I usually just don't mention them.
Feb 10, 2016 11:44 PM

Apr 2015
My friends do find it kinda weird i would be someone who
would enjoy anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 10, 2016 11:57 PM

Aug 2008
LOL! I get something like that before. Never really care or think about it.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Feb 11, 2016 12:00 AM

Apr 2013
Nah the strangest reaction so far has been from the girlfriend of my bro when we were alone for the first time: "Sooooo uhm... you like that Anime thing?"
Feb 11, 2016 12:11 AM

Jul 2013
All the people who know me in detail (family, friends...) know that I like anime and nobody scold me for that or say that I'm trying to look normal on purpose. You must live in a very weird place.
Feb 11, 2016 12:45 AM

Feb 2013
@ya_hallo was attending a class on modern animation
*I went to class nearly 30 minutes early because my previous class ended extremely early because my professor was sick, so I'm just in my class reading Saekano for a couple of minutes*

At this moment, an overweight dude with glasses, a neckbeard, a naruto headband, eye patch, Chuunibyou tee-shirt and a body pillow who had watched 1500 hours of ecchi and understands the subtleties of the cute girls genre stood up and held up an Elfen Lied DVD.

“OMG, YOU'RE AN ANIME FAN!? BUT YOU LOOK SO NORMAL! DO YOU PURPOSELY HIDE THAT YOU'RE AN ANIME FAN?'

ya_hallo smirked and smugly replied “What? Is there a certain way that anime fans are supposed to look? And no I don't hide that I'm a anime fan or else I wouldn't be reading a light novel in public.”

The weeaboo was visibly shaken, and dropped his laptop and copy of Lucky Star. He stormed out of the room crying those wapanese tears.

The students applauded and all bought Saekano LNs that day and accepted ya_hallo as their lord and savior. All the main cast of Saekano came into the classroom and came to him and said "Onii-san come play with us ;);)" The latest volume of Saekano was read several times, and Fumiaki Maruto himself showed up and held a course on How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend.

The weeaboo dropped out and his manga collection caught fire the next day. He died of the common cold and was tossed into the SnK world for all eternity.
sorry >_< i love this copypasta too much
Feb 11, 2016 1:33 AM
Jul 2015
Where I live you can be an anime fan and the ones who are considered "weird people" are the ones who see you as a freak for reading manga or having a conversation in public about anime.

I live in a wonderful village.

Feb 11, 2016 4:42 PM

Sep 2015
Squirtroll said:
ya_hallo said:
Recently a new semester has started and if you're in college you're constantly meeting new people in your classes. A little while back I've acquainted a fellow classmate; he's a great person, I barely know him and he took pictures of his textbook and sent them to me, let's me borrow his notes when I missed the previous class, etc., and seems really bright/smart, always a lesson ahead during lectures. Now to get back on topic today I went to class nearly 30 minutes early because my previous class ended extremely early because my professor was sick, so I'm just in my class reading Saekano for a couple of minutes when my acquaintance comes in and before even greeting me he yells out 'OMG, YOU'RE AN ANIME FAN!?' and at this point I'm already embarrassed from all the looks my classmates are giving but still I give him a reply and he goes on to say 'BUT YOU LOOK SO NORMAL! DO YOU PURPOSELY HIDE THAT YOU'RE AN ANIME FAN?' What? Is there a certain way that anime fans are supposed to look? And no I don't hide that I'm a anime fan or else I wouldn't be reading a light novel in public. Anyways this experience was weird and it definitely made my relationship with him a bit awkward. Do you guys have any similar experiences?
Get a clue op. It's just his way of asking you to be his valentines date. The fact that he figured out that you're an anime fan means he really likes you.

Maybe he said what he said cause his palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy, there's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti? I think he's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready to drop bombs, but he keeps on forgetting what he wrote down.

Anyways op, this opportunity comes once in a lifetime so just talk to him and ask him what he really meant:)

@Mamster-P Same. Whenever I go on chaturbate, people always get disappointed with the size of my dong. Like they expect it to be huge just cause I'm black:(

LOL. That's definitely not it, and I've only known him for 3 weeks.

romagia said:
*I went to class nearly 30 minutes early because my previous class ended extremely early because my professor was sick, so I'm just in my class reading Saekano for a couple of minutes*

At this moment, an overweight dude with glasses, a neckbeard, a naruto headband, eye patch, Chuunibyou tee-shirt and a body pillow who had watched 1500 hours of ecchi and understands the subtleties of the cute girls genre stood up and held up an Elfen Lied DVD.

“OMG, YOU'RE AN ANIME FAN!? BUT YOU LOOK SO NORMAL! DO YOU PURPOSELY HIDE THAT YOU'RE AN ANIME FAN?'

ya_hallo smirked and smugly replied “What? Is there a certain way that anime fans are supposed to look? And no I don't hide that I'm a anime fan or else I wouldn't be reading a light novel in public.”

The weeaboo was visibly shaken, and dropped his laptop and copy of Lucky Star. He stormed out of the room crying those wapanese tears.

The students applauded and all bought Saekano LNs that day and accepted ya_hallo as their lord and savior. All the main cast of Saekano came into the classroom and came to him and said "Onii-san come play with us ;);)" The latest volume of Saekano was read several times, and Fumiaki Maruto himself showed up and held a course on How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend.

The weeaboo dropped out and his manga collection caught fire the next day. He died of the common cold and was tossed into the SnK world for all eternity.

LOLOLOLOL!!!
Feb 11, 2016 4:46 PM

Oct 2010
Nothing has changed since episode 1.

jal90 said:
I'm the most average looking person in the world, so I guess that makes me a harem lead.
Feb 11, 2016 4:50 PM

Jul 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
Around here being an anime fan is fairly common. Just like how stoners and bookworms come in all shapes and sizes so do anime fans.

I like you, and I like the place you're living in :3. Anime fans, stoners and bookworms will save the world.
Feb 11, 2016 5:03 PM

Jul 2015
Ok. So what exactly are we defining as normal looking and what exactly are we defining as what a typical anime viewer looks like?

Why should they be any different?
Feb 11, 2016 5:24 PM

Dec 2012
Well, I look more like a heavy metal fan (which I also am) when I'm not in my work clothes, most people would be surprised seeing me on my off days wearing jeans, band/anime/sci-fi TV show T-shirts and a leather jacket. My job also keeps me physically fit so I'm not really overweight either and I have no trouble with social skills.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Feb 11, 2016 5:30 PM
Sep 2015
I've only ever had people feign polite interest when they've found out I like anime and manga. IRL, at least.
Feb 11, 2016 5:35 PM

Dec 2015
People say this to me every single time I bring up liking anime or they see my lockscreen background on my phone.
I swear, every single time they say this to me to the point that it's insulting. The worst kind are when guys will say "oh that's so hot", like wtf? How the fuck is liking anime hot, ? Bitches won't think I'm so "hot" when they see the kind of shit I like...
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 11, 2016 5:38 PM

Dec 2015
Mamster-P said:

lol even as a black person, sometimes the waifu obsessed black dudes throw me off (actually, I think waifu obsessed anyone throws me off).

Although, I have been told that it's surprising I like anime because I'm black. This is usually when they find out I'm black though, since apparently I look latina or "tan white".

Weird though, all the people I know irl who are just as into anime as I am happen to be black.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 11, 2016 5:48 PM

Nov 2015
Highteeld said:
Ok. So what exactly are we defining as normal looking and what exactly are we defining as what a typical anime viewer looks like?

Why should they be any different?

Er... That's the point of the whole thread.
Apparently to some people if you aren't a 100 pounds overweight with a neckbeard and a chuunibyou tee-shirt you aren't an anime fan..
romagia said:

Man, where's that MAL upvote button when you need one?
Wait that's a copypasta? Link pls?
KonaKoffee4 said:
People say this to me every single time I bring up liking anime or they see my lockscreen background on my phone.
I swear, every single time they say this to me to the point that it's insulting. The worst kind are when guys will say "oh that's so hot", like wtf? How the fuck is liking anime hot, ? Bitches won't think I'm so "hot" when they see the kind of shit I like...

If I were you I'd take that.
I don't remember the last time anyone called me hot..
Feb 11, 2016 5:54 PM

Dec 2015
4blaze2it0 said:
?
KonaKoffee4 said:

If I were you I'd take that.
I don't remember the last time anyone called me hot..

lol people can be hella stupid though. They say that shit because they have this stupid idea in their head "Oh, a nerdy girl is hot because it's so unexpected", but then think it's weird that I'd rather play my games and watch anime than go to their bull shit football games.
*turns up nose and raises pinky* plebs just don't get it fam, anime>football.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 11, 2016 6:01 PM

Nov 2015
Mamster-P said:
LMAO i havent seen that pic in a long ass time, well i WISH i was that swole, but not even remotely close, but im tall af, so w/e lol

I salute you, my friend.

Also... Mai best girl (Y)

Where I'm from, being an anime fan ain't really rare. Hell, in my department at work, about half the guys and girls watch some anime (we're all in our 20s).
Feb 11, 2016 6:10 PM

Dec 2015
Hmm, i've never really had an experience like that with anime. Anime pretty commonly watched where I live so it's not super surprising to find someone who watches it. Now, when people discover my style music then I'll get a reaction like, 'What you listen to that screamo stuff?! You so don't look the type!'
Feb 11, 2016 7:07 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
KonaKoffee4 said:
Mamster-P said:

lol even as a black person, sometimes the waifu obsessed black dudes throw me off (actually, I think waifu obsessed anyone throws me off).

Although, I have been told that it's surprising I like anime because I'm black. This is usually when they find out I'm black though, since apparently I look latina or "tan white".

Weird though, all the people I know irl who are just as into anime as I am happen to be black.

how are you black if you look white lol? you're clealry mixed part black or w/e

what kind of anime do your black friends like? cause im sure i stated before, even when people find out a 6'4 black man likes anime, they immediately assume hardcore shounens and not my waifu anime, like i mostly watch (though i watch pretty much any genre)

refael9190 said:
Mamster-P said:

I salute you, my friend.

Also... Mai best girl (Y)

Where I'm from, being an anime fan ain't really rare. Hell, in my department at work, about half the guys and girls watch some anime (we're all in our 20s).

yes bruh, anime girls too stronk :3

Mai is full bae <333

ain't rare here either, just most of the black anime watchers aren't my waifu negros, like myself
EcchiGodMamsterFeb 11, 2016 7:12 PM
Feb 11, 2016 7:10 PM

Dec 2015
i get that a lot , and that's why i keep it a secret.

It's so shameful to be put in the same category with weeaboos and outcasts
Feb 11, 2016 7:11 PM

Dec 2015
Mamster-P said:
KonaKoffee4 said:

what kind of anime do your black friends like? cause im sure i stated before, even when people find out a 6'4 black man likes anime, they immediately assume hardcore shounens and not my waifu anime, like i mostly watch (though i watch pretty much any genre)

Yeah I'm half, but I'm still black.
Just like I'm still white, even though I'm half.
I'm a panda, don't hate on my panda swag! Yaaasss
But also, there are full black people who are pretty dang light.

And for my black friends half of them like hardcore shounen and the other half or into ecchi or cute girl series (like magical girls or moe).
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 11, 2016 7:13 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
KonaKoffee4 said:
Mamster-P said:

And for my black friends half of them like hardcore shounen and the other half or into ecchi or cute girl series (like magical girls or moe).

oh ok lol, you're 1/2 but just look more white, i see, i was like HUH? loool

well them niggas that are into ecchi/moe need to get at me cause im one of like 2 i've ever met IRL, i know some others online
Feb 11, 2016 7:16 PM

Dec 2015
Mamster-P said:
KonaKoffee4 said:

well them niggas that watch ecchi/moe need to get at me cause im one of like 2 i've ever met IRL, i know some others online

Haha I wonder if they have an account.
I wonder if you're one of them.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 11, 2016 7:19 PM

Apr 2015
Funny, something similar happened to me. They were way more accommodating and accepting of my interests though lol. I would have thought you were in high school if that happened to you haha

Talked with a couple people about anime like DBZ, Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Berserk, etc.

I don't treat it like a big deal and then no one else treats it like a big deal.
Feb 11, 2016 8:07 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
KonaKoffee4 said:
Mamster-P said:

well them niggas that watch ecchi/moe need to get at me cause im one of like 2 i've ever met IRL, i know some others online

Haha I wonder if they have an account.
I wonder if you're one of them.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

nah lol, no way i know you, i know like 1 or 2 girls who like haremecchi anime

that is, assuming you're actually a girl ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Feb 11, 2016 8:23 PM

Feb 2016
If I had a dollar for every time I walked into one the barracks rooms and saw some of the guys watching some nameless anime with two Domino's Pizza boxes in the center.

When I tell people I did four years in the Marines and watch anime this is usually the reaction I get.

"No way, Marines don't watch that!"

Then of course people look at my list and are REALLY not convinced. It's like you HAVE to be a certain way to enjoy certain things.

Smdh, that's like when people play RnB or rap the fist thing others say is "Damn they must be hood rats!"
Feb 11, 2016 9:43 PM

Nov 2015
BREAKING NEWS TO EVERYONE WHO ASSUMES ALL ANIME FANS LOOK THE SAME:

Anime is not a bubble. Many people enjoy it but hey, I understand why they say that. Not too long ago I was too cool for anime, but look at me now! Almost 1am and I'm posting on a forum.
Feb 11, 2016 9:53 PM

Jul 2015
Well just the thought of that statement being said to you feels degrading and I don't like people like that its as if they are mocking an anime fan just because of their knowledge that anime fans are supposed to be looking more anime-ish.
Feb 11, 2016 9:57 PM

Sep 2014
Being an anime fan based on my experience is very normal; even though, my classmates uses my laptop and see's a wallpaper of lets say Shokugeki no Souma they even say that "Wow it looks cool." Another wallpaper would be Kyokai no Kanata and everybody loves it because it looks calm. And yea thats basically it =D I even let my friends here some anime music and they may not like it but they do appreciate the instrument sound.
Feb 11, 2016 9:59 PM

Sep 2014
Gabagool said:
BREAKING NEWS TO EVERYONE WHO ASSUMES ALL ANIME FANS LOOK THE SAME:

Anime is not a bubble. Many people enjoy it but hey, I understand why they say that. Not too long ago I was too cool for anime, but look at me now! Almost 1am and I'm posting on a forum.

LOL been there done that xD Sometimes whenever I wake up rather than surfing first at facebook I will just check something first in MAL if there are any new stuff and something to discuss with xD
Feb 11, 2016 10:04 PM
May 2015
They will laugh than never come back. Israeli people hate anime we have only like 100 watchers in the whole country i think :(
Feb 11, 2016 10:16 PM

Dec 2015
I do quite a lot of sport on the side and I talk about movies a lot so people are usually surprised about it, never been disrespectful about it though. They're either cool with it or they say they can't enjoy it because it's lame. I have no problem with that, anime isn't for everyone. Besides a lot of casuals don't watch much anime but still enjoy the few mainstream titles like SnK and OPM.

Ecchi fans aren't that well regarded though, can't blame the people for looking down on someone getting hard on and talking about animated tits in public.
Feb 11, 2016 10:24 PM

Nov 2015
Haha, not all anime fans look like weirdos, but a good 1/3 of them are either overweight, look/smell like they own 50 ferrets, look like they don't know how to work a shower, or look like they own their own death note that they write the names of the "popular kids" in and microwave their hamster when they're made fun of.

50% of this is jest... while the other half is definitely true.
Feb 12, 2016 1:31 AM

May 2015
It's easy to predict I love anime. I wear glasses and look like a stereotypical nerd.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 12, 2016 1:38 AM

Sep 2015
Never had that reaction, but then the majority of people here don't even know what it is so they wouldn't be able to have any sort of reaction other than "Anime, manga? What's that?"
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 12, 2016 2:15 AM
Sep 2014
All I have to say, nerdy looking people are no different than those yolo swag people. People don't understand that everyone is an individual. The person who asked you this is an imbecil, why did I even read this shit.
Feb 12, 2016 2:40 AM

Aug 2015
Not really. I'm not trying to hide the fact that I like anime, usually when I meet somebody new, that's one of the first things that I tell them. If it turns out they're not fond of it, I will not speak about it any further.

Some people look surprised to hear that I like anime, but most just accept it. I understand why somebody would be surprised to hear a guy wearing a band shirt, black jeans and a long leather coat say "I like anime", but that's exactly the thing: do not stereotype anybody by their looks. Actually, better if people stopped using stereotypes completely.
MircallaMorriganFeb 12, 2016 2:45 AM
Feb 12, 2016 2:53 AM

Dec 2015
Well, i am a cynical and eccentric guy who doesn't really look normal and i don't want to be normal, i guess the only thing i want to be is myself. From what i know, nobody told me that i was or not normal. Guess it's because i speak almost only to the originals, not ones that want to look like everybody else and are neglecting themselves. *The normal ones.*
Feb 12, 2016 2:59 AM

Jul 2012
I don't openly talk about anime but the very few times me/ someone figured out that I/they watched anime we were just extremely casual about it and talked a little about anime. I mean, I was a tad bit surprised (no idea about the other people) but that was it really.

I dress like a hipster faggot but I'm sure some people would expect that I watch it especially since I'm not necessarily some flamboyant outgoing type.
Feb 12, 2016 3:02 AM

May 2015
people tend to think that anime fan=weeb and dont know what an otaku is
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Feb 12, 2016 3:04 AM

Jun 2013
First we need to understand what is "normal".
I am a social guy i don't hide the fact i like anime even the people i hang out with they somehow got into anime, not on a regular basis but they watch a few and of course i have my best friend since childhood that also watches anime and reads manga on a regular basis and he is quite a social guy too so yeah, it's all about being social i guess.
Feb 12, 2016 3:37 AM

Oct 2013
Well I look normal and I don't go around saying that I like anime. If the topic is brought up then I might join in, but sometimes I just don't want to cuz usually it's about mainstream bullshit anime like tokyo ghoul or fairy tail etc. Not even fun talking about them.

Some of my friends don't give two shits about me watching anime, others kinda laugh at it saying that it's porn and bullshit and jokingly call me a weeb but they still don't give a shit, I've never really encountered anyone bullying anime watchers, so far it has only happened online.
Feb 12, 2016 5:33 AM

Feb 2013
4blaze2it0 said:
Man, where's that MAL upvote button when you need one?
Wait that's a copypasta? Link pls?
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/albert-einstein-copypasta

It's based on the Liberal Muslim Homosexual ACLU Professor version, as, sadly, KYM does not hold any other versions.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» If your favorite anime exploded in popularity to the point that everyone in socmed talks about it, would you like it or not?

Rinrinka - 19 minutes ago

4 by Teirayo »»
2 minutes ago

» Your Strongest and Weakest Recommendation from your Favorites

Pokitaru - 3 hours ago

12 by BitChilly »»
3 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

104 by APolygons2 »»
4 minutes ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 9 hours ago

27 by BitChilly »»
7 minutes ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 8 hours ago

22 by BitChilly »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.