Forum Settings
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 29, 2016 3:02 PM

May 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The first part of the trilogy was awesome!

Eager to see what will happen next. :)
Meme rocks. :3
Jan 30, 2016 3:46 AM

Sep 2012
Saw yesterday at theater in France!
We get a graphic style that radically changes compared to the TV series, more cinema shall we say and very expressive, creating a much different narrative from that to which we are accustomed.
The series is built on dialogues and monologues who dive the spectators in many words (or panels) which blend in great chaos: humor, philosophical / social digression, analysis / mood and factual informations.
Here it's the opposite! The film begins elsewhere for a long passage without speech during which we follow Araragi! Very disturbing for anyone who knows the series. Same when Araragi march towards his destiny. It is unclear why he did that. This is not a problem and I do not particularly expect a sophisticated thing, but do not know what to think any time Araragi is unexpected ^^
Instead, and for once everything goes through the images. Expressions of Araragi during the film reveal an incredibly exaggerated intensity but it goes nickel. The atmosphere was excellent and we are literally thrown into another world!
On the merits, we discover the meeting with Hanekawa (What a moment!) and the one with Kiss-shot (bloody gore!) - Not to mention why Araragi dragged in the streets that night (it's so him^^).
The film is short and takes just enough time to pose the decor and characters. There are still many mysteries to be solved such as the state of Araragi and Kiss-shot (which is still not that known), as is their master-servant relationship reversed yet.
It's really good!
Jan 30, 2016 4:51 AM

Apr 2014
Seen it at the Grans Rex too.
Agree it was overall a good introduction, the real thing that disappointed me was the bad quality of the projection (through it is not that surprising from such a company as Wakanim, we are used to their botched releases). Don't know if you was in the same cinema room as me but at the beginning the projection was cut at the bottom and we cannot see the subtitle, later they try fix it but instead we got a slightly blurred picture.
Jan 30, 2016 5:16 AM

May 2015
This wasn't quite what I expected, but that doesn't mean it was bad.

What I mean is that the dialogue-heavy stuff we are used to from all the previous series is toned down a little. Araragi talks at a normal pace for once and has close to no inner monologues, his thoughts and feelings are instead shown through his facial expressions and the way he talks. Don't get me wrong, the majority of the movie is still very dialogue focused, it's just that there are also a lot of scenes where noone is talking. These scenes with no dialogue are very slow paced to get you into the atmosphere and the beautiful environments/backgrounds add to it even more while also filling the empty space of not having anyone who talks. There's also quite a bit of 3D usage, but it doesn't look bad. The animation and art is, although different in style, even better than the standard we know from the Monogatari series, it really feels like a movie. Seeing a Monogatari anime on the big screen with amazing video and audio quality was also very enjoyable. (I watched it in Vienna at Millennium City by the way). The soundtrack is nice and the individual songs fit the scenes they're used in.

Of course the movie still has all the usual Monogatari stuff like still frames with text on them along with some fanservice and Araragi having a bad time by this time getting burned instead of the usual "getting beaten up by someone". Also the only people we see are Araragi, Kiss-shot, Hanekawa, Oshino Meme and the three vampire hunters, so there are no background characters as always.

Even though there aren't as many inner monologues, you still get enough information to know what's going on, so I'm not that bothered by it (I still would have liked to see all the 4th wall breaks from the LN).

This first part of Kizumonogatari felt more like a setup movie (which is natural), and since I've read the LN I know that there'll be much more going on in the next two movies. I'm also glad I was able to watch this after all the years of delays and so close to the japanese premiere.
AlveronJul 28, 2016 12:45 AM
Jan 30, 2016 11:44 AM

Sep 2012
Illyasviel said:
Don't know if you was in the same cinema room as me but at the beginning the projection was cut at the bottom and we cannot see the subtitle, later they try fix it but instead we got a slightly blurred picture.

I was in the room two it seems to me, and I have not had any problems with subtitles. Bad luck for you !
Feb 27, 2016 4:20 PM

Jun 2013
Holy shit that was an amazing first movie, just got out of the theater. I don't even know what to say, that was some god tier beautiful Shaft animation.
Feb 27, 2016 8:54 PM

Dec 2014
Shaft on a film-budget = me crying blood. I should go see a doctor...

Can't wait for this summer for part two!
I need sleep.
Feb 27, 2016 9:24 PM

Jun 2007
Gorgeous setting (god bless movie budgets). A little slow to start, but that is more or less to be expected. Some good laughs and strong use of sound, expressions, and visuals in comparison to the franchise's usual reliance on dialogue and internal monologues. Bring on part 2!
TheTsunamiFeb 27, 2016 9:47 PM
Feb 28, 2016 8:08 AM

Sep 2015
My eyes were sparkling the entire movie. So this is SHAFT with time and budget.

No Araragi dialogue at all, that was a little unsettling. But enjoyable nonetheless. Props to everyone clapping at Hanekawa's blessed scene.
Feb 28, 2016 9:33 AM

Jun 2007
Fresh_Mint said:

No Araragi dialogue at all, that was a little unsettling. But enjoyable nonetheless. Props to everyone clapping at Hanekawa's blessed scene.

The car crashing just about killed everyone.
Feb 29, 2016 7:41 AM

Aug 2013
Fresh_Mint said:

How much CG they used?
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Feb 29, 2016 12:33 PM

Apr 2015
So glad I got tickets for this. It looked freaking beautiful.
It's time you look inward and begin asking yourself the big question, "Who are you, and what do you want?" - Uncle Iroh
Feb 29, 2016 7:08 PM

Sep 2015
rsc-pl said:
Fresh_Mint said:

How much CG they used?

Ok fine, you got me there. Tons of CG was used for both backgrounds and charas (although I only really noticed it on Araragi). The CG for the backgrounds and settings was what caught my eye (ie tree at start), the ones for the charas were okay but mixing it with the traditional thick lined animation might turn some people off as it contrasts too much. In terms of budget, they used the CG appropriately so I don't think budget was a big factor.

Prolly wrong buy eiii what the heck, I enjoyed it way too much to bash it.
Mar 1, 2016 8:40 PM

Jun 2014
It was pretty glorious, ended at literally the exact moment I wanted it to, as well as delivering on visuals and expectations.

The few changes that they did make were great, such as Shinobu being in the subway rather than on the streets, the escalators only going up was an amazing touch. Pretty chilling with the infant's screams for her agony, as well as the running animations as one of the best examples of that type of crude animation yet, very Imaishi esque.

Araragi exploding into the flames as it started was an incredibly great decision on Shaft's part, then transitioning immediately to the following scene after reaching the actual moment in the film as well. When he went to the bookstore, I was dying it was even more then I expected, proof Hanekawa best girl.

Definitely going to buy tickets to the next part when they come to America, the print they gave out was very high quality and nice, can't be anymore hyped for the next. Looks like all the delay was worth it in the end, the CG didn't bother me, it works in backgrounds well to add to the trippy nature, and the few instances of characters being CG were when they were offscreen and going down stairs or something.
Mar 5, 2016 11:25 AM

Mar 2013
Beautiful artwork. Any changes made from the novel were all well executed. Cut at a good moment.
Overall a good setup film for the upcoming parts.
Mar 6, 2016 8:26 PM

Aug 2012
I saw it yesterday and am still pretty awestruck. The level of quality in the animation and backgrounds were absolutely everything I hoped for from this film. Sure the lack of monologues hurt a bit but it's more than understandable why they did it, and the atmosphere building and drawn out, overly dramatized scenes made up for it by a mile. I felt just as immersed as I did reading the novel years ago, which even for a film that's been delayed this long is saying something as the novel did more to engage and immerse me than probably anything I'd ever read.

Only slight disappointment was that some of Araragi's speech about why he's giving his life up is just the right, logical thing to do, was cut. That was the most important bit of characterization for him in the book. Some of it was there, of course the poetic bit about what he'll be like in his next life fit the tone so it made sense, but the lines where he shouted about his value in life were certainly missed. Still though, through the facial cues throughout the prologue and the atmosphere surrounding him giving up his life, one gets the picture as to how he viewed himself and having relationships with others up till this point.

Content wise it was just about what I expected, couldn't have asked for much more. Dramaturgy's design looked soo much better here, the art detail in the city was just the cherry on top of everything, if even a little overboard(the cram school shouldn't look that nice inside lol) Oshino's presentation was perfect of course ( that ridiculous cigarette flick into the trash rofl) And most importantly, the brutality displayed in the (wonderfully exaggerated) fire scene and the limbless Kisshot scene was VEEEEERY promising for things to come(just hoping the fourth wall breaks aren't cut in those scenes).

One thing is for sure after watching this-the second and third films are going to be pure, mind-melting INSANITY.
Mar 6, 2016 11:21 PM

Oct 2012
BEAUTIFUL.
Truly stunning visuals throughout.
Now I understand why SHAFT is triple-dipping us, but man that hour felt fast.
Mar 7, 2016 6:03 AM

Feb 2008
This movie just opened at the local AEON Cinema. I went tonight on "Happy Monday" (¥1100 admission) figuring I might as well since the movie is 80 minutes long. With the pre-movie popcorn and post-movie pamphlet purchases I probably spent about as much as if I had gone drinking at a "snack". ;-)

I went into this one "cold" more or less. Haven't read the book(s). Have only watched one episode out of all the Monogatari series. Glanced at the Wiki page for this title but read only a paragraph or so. I didn't even read the write-up on the AEON Cinema web site.

Overall I found the movie to be pretty good. The backgrounds and sets were quite amazing. The dialogue wasn't too difficult to follow (no English subs here in Japan eh?). Some things seemed to happen just to keep the story moving. But the ending was good enough to make me say "Yeah, I gotta see the next part!".
Mar 12, 2016 1:58 PM

May 2015
I found this movie absolutely stunning in the theaters. I loved the OST. I can't wait to watch part 2 in the summer.
Mar 22, 2016 7:25 PM
May 2013
I felt there was a bit of lack of Araragi's monologue in comparison to the novel, but the film was awesome nonetheless.
Mar 28, 2016 9:53 AM
Apr 2009
Any news about a BD Release?
Mar 28, 2016 12:11 PM

May 2009
@Hi3i
BD willl be out the 27 of july.
Apr 5, 2016 6:23 PM

Aug 2011
Djidji said:
@Hi3i

Source? (not doubting you, just want to see it myself lol)

» Escapism.

Apr 6, 2016 12:47 AM

May 2009
Kenchiin said:
Djidji said:
@Hi3i

http://www.monogatari-series.com/news/index.html?article_id=37883
Apr 6, 2016 1:35 PM

Aug 2011
Djidji said:
Kenchiin said:

http://www.monogatari-series.com/news/index.html?article_id=37883

Thank you so much! :D

» Escapism.

Apr 6, 2016 1:39 PM

Jan 2016
omg, dying, i am, these three movies are number one for me, cant wait anymore!!
Apr 21, 2016 7:44 AM

Dec 2011
Despite nearly 700 years in production, it still felt rushed out. Like they were trying to fill time with fluff and just put in whatever.

I don't have a problem with the art style and some of the ways they used the CG, but some of the stuff (That top down walk cycle that showed up a couple times of araragi and shinobu, you know the one) made me want to vomit.

Don't get me wrong i still enjoyed it, but its such a huge departure from the norm of the series. It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOW.

Nothing happens. Well next to nothing at least. In monogatari that im used to any downtime is taken up with interesting dialogue and character building, witty banter, etc. This just felt so... drawn out and empty.

I originally bought two tickets to my local showing, expecting the usual monogatari fair. Lightning conversations with red frame, black frame, lots of text, lots of little stuff you could miss. But I ended up not even going the second day, because i felt there was so little there that i had already completely seen everything.

I don't know shafts reaonings for making this in to a 3 parter of short movies (I'm guessing so they could push the first one out near their anniversary), but it would likely have stood better as a single film with a faster pace.
Jul 1, 2016 7:53 AM

Oct 2014
Wish anime films got shown in UK cinemas/theaters too. Ughh.
Jul 26, 2016 10:27 AM

Dec 2015
The raw is out.
Hyped.
Jul 26, 2016 12:23 PM

Dec 2012
thx for raw, u guys are the best.

this arc
that shinobu
that scene that i've been waiting for

this is pure bliss.
KepitingJul 26, 2016 1:34 PM
Jul 26, 2016 3:14 PM
Jun 2014
Where are you guys finding the raw?
Jul 26, 2016 3:47 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Damn, I was too impatient to for the subs so I ended up watching raw. It's a really good start though, and it's been so long since I've seen Meme. Lol, of course Hanekawa gets introduced with that much fanservice. Also, Kamiya is the best screamer, lol. Araragi's encounter with Kiss-shot was so well done (and pretty damn violent). And the art was freaking gorgeous throughout the movie. I'll need to rewatch it once the subs come out.
Jul 26, 2016 6:40 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Wow, all that effort. It really shows how much care they put into this.

Saw the raw but I'm glad I read the novel beforehand although I haven't finished it.

I understood everything that happened in the film since I remember everything I read so far from the novel.

A really great adaptation, I loved it and re watched it twice already. I'll re watch it again when the subs are out.

Btw, does anyone know if Part 2 will come to U.S theaters like the first one?
Jul 26, 2016 7:10 PM

Jul 2015
Just finished the sub.

Not bad, but not as good as I expected before.

3.5+/5
Jul 26, 2016 7:45 PM

Jul 2014
It did end on the part where i expect it to end but still somehow it wasn't what what i've expected.

Not bad tbh it's what SHALF had been working on for years, we can see the visual, animation as plus point. the cinematography was superb as always.
But
I'll just talk about the part i don't like Alot of dialogue was cut, well, all monogatari adaption got dialogue cut down but tbh kizumonogatari cut it more than i thought.
The dialogue that mostly related to Hanekawa was cut down. (I don't really mind this though but would be glad if it has)
Araragi's inner conflict, thinking about his worth and such before he decided to give blood to Shinobu was cut down too.
The school building has a different image from when i read the novel, it was alot more brighter with more source of light here, and more pretty than i've imagined.

This first part also felt so slow, it was like a visual show off just for the sake of dragging time. I feel like I might enjoy this more better with faster pace, or ADD more dialogue if they want to go with this pace.

Still even with all this I still appreciate this film, just not up to my expectation.
That scene with Meme was awesome, I was waiting to see it in animation but Holy shit it exceed my expectation on BADASSness.
Jul 27, 2016 12:18 AM

Dec 2015
Shitty subs out.
Its a copypaste of the novel lines with few edits.
Jul 27, 2016 2:00 AM

Sep 2013
That was awesome. It was like a 1 for 1 of the novel. They took some liberties with the locations but everything was just so wallpaper worthy.

I would love to see all of the other characters in this aesthetic.
Jul 27, 2016 2:44 AM
Jun 2016
Any good subs?.............................
Jul 27, 2016 5:23 AM

Apr 2014
Kiss Shot/Shinobu is still best girl <3 10/10

Oshino Meme is still fucking badass

I can't wait for the next 2 movies

Jul 27, 2016 5:46 AM

Jan 2016
Loved the movie! and adult Shinobu is gorgeous!
Jul 27, 2016 6:23 AM

Mar 2016
Great stuff. It's basically the book without Araragis narration.
Jul 27, 2016 6:30 AM

May 2013
It was noice. Absolutely loved it. Exactly what I expected from Part 1.
Jul 27, 2016 9:38 AM

Nov 2014
The fucking animation in this... Did they even sync some of the mouth movements to the dialogue? Amazing OST, too.

Surprisingly few conversations for a Monogatari episode/movie, but the visual storytelling is so damn good that most of the movie probably could have worked without any dialogue.

I don't know if this was meant to be funny, but when Araragi picked up Shinobu in the subway, saw that her arms and legs were missing, and chucked her aside made me laugh my ass off. That's the complete opposite of how you're supposed to treat a severely injured person.

It's great how team Shinbou/Shaft don't settle in their comfort zones, and aren't afraid of taking creative risks. Stylistically, this movie shares some similarities with other Monogatari episodes, but it's also very different.

I liked Oshino's role as the guy who negotiates and keeps balance. It's very Buddhist. The long conversation between Araragi, Shinobu, and Oshino at the end was a little dry. The previous scenes had so much energy and movement, then it brakes on a linear plot about retrieving Shinobu's limbs. That's just a nitpick, though.

Overall, I loved it.

8/10
Jul 27, 2016 10:01 AM

May 2013
That. was. awesome.
The rich expression arararagi when panicking can't you find on other movie, I guess.
And meme know how to make first appearance.
megmicaJul 27, 2016 10:08 AM
Jul 27, 2016 10:03 AM

Oct 2012
The subway scene was well worth the hype, it was brilliant.

I love everything about this. It wasn't exactly what I envisioned it would be like, but my imagination is weak anyways. The only complaints I have is that I felt that the clash between the hyper realistic backgrounds and the 2D characters were a little too jarring at times (but surrealistic as heck which was great) and that I have to wait so long for the next two parts :_;

So good to see Oishi and Satou back. The directing and soundtrack were just awesome.
Jul 27, 2016 10:32 AM

Sep 2014
Awesome to finally see it out considering theres no cinema that I personally know of where I live that showed it. Too bad the subs are what they are so I will make sure to rewatch when better subs come out.
Jul 27, 2016 12:08 PM

Jun 2008
Goddamn shitty subs....I'll have to watch it again with someone who knows what they're doing.

Still, it was nice to finally see this.
Jul 27, 2016 12:45 PM
Jul 2018
Part 1 is literally only an introduction (roughly first 6 chapters of the novel) and it was already this amazing. I think my heart won't be able to handle part 2.

Now excuse me while I go listen to the OST for the 100th time.
Jul 27, 2016 2:22 PM

Oct 2014
The subs I watched had Hanekawa asking Araragi if he plays Pokémon Go...
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Jul 27, 2016 4:26 PM

Jan 2015
Yeah the subs were awful. Still, what a glorious film. Took me back to Bake with its audio and visual experimentations and playfulness. S2 and Owari are so much more assured but also still and grounded, it's great to go back to the banter and visual flair of S1. Persoanl highlight was when Araragi was defeated by (the vampire slayers') simple muffled voices - that's probs how they tricked Heart-under-blade too. Clever audio trick, loved it.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Disregarding the fact that the internal monologues were omitted, how good of an adaptation do the people who have watched the movie think it is?

Mado_Mura - Jan 10, 2016

6 by KleptoKritikal »»
Mar 5, 7:00 AM

Poll: » What would you do if you have your limbs chopped off, laying in the ground and no one notices you?

TheRayquaza - Jan 22

16 by dicloflom »»
Jan 23, 8:55 PM

» Needs the gore tag

RaltsPokemon - Dec 15, 2023

5 by RaltsPokemon »»
Dec 18, 2023 10:40 AM

» Can I watch this? ( 1 2 )

Cheggeronis - Jul 12, 2023

53 by LordAtsukiYoru »»
Jul 28, 2023 7:52 PM

» I was wrong, and I am a changed man

BestListMAL - Feb 7, 2023

26 by removed-user »»
Mar 25, 2023 6:29 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.