Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 19, 2016 3:33 PM

Aug 2014
Well done, Are you angry at Dragon Ball Super's bad animation? Toriyama agrees with you!
Toriyama-san said: “Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live-action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I’m complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much I can’t leave it alone“.

DrrrZoltyJan 20, 2016 7:07 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 19, 2016 3:34 PM

May 2015
I don't fucking care. DBS is basically a meme show now.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jan 19, 2016 3:35 PM

Dec 2015
can't really argue with that really
Jan 19, 2016 3:37 PM

Jun 2012
Pull out your pitch forks, everyone. Now we have to rally behind Toriyama and go raze the Toei HQ building and extort the execs to put billions of dollars into the production of Super.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jan 19, 2016 3:41 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
We already knew that Toei fucked up but when even Toriyama step in to say that they are shit ... lel .
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 19, 2016 3:42 PM

Aug 2014
He should be, DBS is a fucking disgrace.
Jan 19, 2016 3:42 PM

Sep 2015
He's saying what we already knew. He's kinda late to the party.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jan 19, 2016 3:43 PM

Apr 2014
It's Toei, what did he expect from them? They're not Madhouse or ufotable.
Jan 19, 2016 3:43 PM

Mar 2014
nice but it will change nothing.

Even if Oda came and complained about animation, One Piece will get the same treatment as the last 5 years. Only major epic moments get their epic animation.

But honestly Toei was like that since the beginning of adapting shounen titles. This is nothing new.
Jan 19, 2016 3:45 PM

Jan 2009
im just gonna post what i posted on another thread about this

more info on this thread on reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/41ozq9/akira_toriyama_complained_to_toei_about_the/cz3yna0
even some of the directors of Dragonball Super are complaining about the rush job of animating it, if you have watch Shirobako then its like that one mess up on the schedule and it will spiral out of control to the whole production of the anime

i think Toei should consider taking a break like 1-2 weeks just to give more time to the animation production
Jan 19, 2016 3:52 PM

Feb 2015
-Anokata said:

Even if Oda came and complained about animation, One Piece will get the same treatment as the last 5 years. Only major epic moments get their epic animation.

But honestly Toei was like that since the beginning of adapting shounen titles. This is nothing new.

But the difference is that DBS is supposed to superviced (no pun intented) by Toriyama. At least that's what they said when Super was announced.
Jan 19, 2016 3:53 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
lol nice....

Toriyama was probably late, but it's better than nothing.

Good to see that Toriyama is actually care about it

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 19, 2016 3:54 PM

May 2014
To put this into a better perspective, the only other time Toriyama complained about how DragonBall was handled was when he was talking about Dragon Ball Evolution
Jan 19, 2016 3:55 PM

Apr 2014
Toei is working on One Piece Film Gold right now so this kind of outcome is obvious, the same issue happen when One Piece watchers complain about FI quality sudden drop when Toei's working on Film Z.
Jan 19, 2016 3:57 PM

Mar 2014
It's happening with any
JonasTheJay said:
-Anokata said:

But the difference is that DBS is supposed to superviced (no pun intented) by Toriyama. At least that's what they said when Super was announced.

he doesn't supervise the animation. He's giving Toei's team the storyboard and key designs for new characters and thats all.
Jan 19, 2016 4:02 PM

Feb 2015
-Anokata said:
It's happening with any
JonasTheJay said:

he doesn't supervise the animation. He's giving Toei's team the storyboard and key designs for new characters and thats all.

Oh I didn't know that. I thought Toriyama himself was behind everything.
Jan 19, 2016 4:02 PM

Aug 2010
lmao
Good thing I dropped this show on the third episode
Jan 19, 2016 4:03 PM

Nov 2015
I think everyone could see this happening. I´m mean, he´s mad as an artist. He probably was tired by the end, but he had some ideas. Even if he was tired, he must love his work of art. And then he decides to come back, he´s presented with a rushed and crapppy animation. It must be aweful as an artist to see that anime. Toei probably thought Toriyama was like Kurumada, who doesn´t care about the quality.
Jan 19, 2016 4:06 PM

Jan 2010
who wouldn't be angry
they took a shit on his lawn
Jan 19, 2016 4:27 PM

Nov 2014
Nevermind the animation, the show is pretty boring and stale.

Jan 19, 2016 4:59 PM

Oct 2014
even toriyama must have realized that if the 80s version looked better than dragon ball super than there is something really wrong with the anime
Jan 19, 2016 5:05 PM

Aug 2013
Dragon ball super fucking sucks who cares
huh
Jan 19, 2016 5:35 PM

Oct 2014
to be fair even the high budget movies that tell the same story as super suck
Jan 19, 2016 5:38 PM

Jul 2011
Well, he it's the original autor so it's natural.
Jan 19, 2016 6:54 PM

Jan 2010
Moved from Anime Discussion
Jan 19, 2016 6:57 PM

Apr 2014
y should we care what he thinks

he doesnt even draw the manga anymore
Jan 19, 2016 8:24 PM
Feb 2012
You should care because Toriyama is the one responsible for the story.

Also, before more people jump the gun, he isn't necessarily talking about the animation; he could be talking about changes that Toei introduced (after all, why would he bring up how he hated Evolution's story and then talk about animation quality all in one sentence?).
Jan 20, 2016 7:15 AM

Aug 2014
Well, we will see what Toei will do in the main (Champa saga) chapter in DBSuper.
At least DBSuper can get remake like DBZ as DB KAI XD
Jan 20, 2016 2:36 PM
Oct 2012
Now fanboys can stop defending this garbage series.
Jan 20, 2016 11:44 PM

Aug 2014
At least it shows that he cares about the manga/anime he helped create.

It makes me wonder if he has voiced his opinion to Toei. Whether Toei will even care about what he thinks is another question. Hopefully Toei is just saving their budget for the next arc, though the plot for the next arc sounds kinda crap anyway.
Jan 21, 2016 3:40 PM

Dec 2015
No problem. Why?

- the manga has a clear end (Toriyama made it even clearer by rewriting it for the perfect edition). Hell, his historic editor who later directed the magazine thinks like a big bunch of people out there DB should have been left at Frieza's end. (then we would have been blessed with a third great Toriyama manga)

- therefore, the only reason for those supplement "stories" to exist is called "fan-service": the first was showcasing the return of loved characters, their comic interactions, a new (not really) villain and a well choreographed martial-arts duel, strong reminiscences of the first third of the manga. While the 2nd displayed overpowered space warriors, (sadly) reduced the jokes etc, following the same evolution as the old manga. Did anyone watch the movies/Super hoping for some mind-blowing plot? I think people were either waiting for mindless over-the-top battles or the relatively innocent mix of humour and kung-fu, and we got both.

- Super is only an adaptation of the cannon movies who followed a script written on the base of some of Toriyama's ideas. We will still get the last movie, so why should a purely useless exploitation matter?

- could we talk a bit about laziness? Because I know the perfect incarnation of it: Toriyama-sensei himself. A large amount of his design/scenario choices were made with the only goal to reduce his workload (check them over the internet if you are interested).

Note: I love most of this author's work and I like the recent movies very much (for what they are).
Rei_IIIJan 21, 2016 3:49 PM
Jan 21, 2016 3:53 PM

Jan 2013
Fuck Toei to be honest. They are the laziest excuse for animators. They need to raise their standards because Madhouse is making them look like fools.
Jan 24, 2016 11:08 AM

Dec 2015
ibrahim2712 said:
Madhouse is making them look like fools.

Madhouse work was always above average. Toei can't becompared with them. ^^"
Jan 25, 2016 1:41 AM

Jul 2015
This anime literally repeats every single mistake of original series and adds a new ones. Dropped this after something like 5 fillers.

Jan 25, 2016 2:49 AM

Mar 2015
DB and OP is always in the top of japanese TV shows, so why Toei need to hire a expensive animators, if popularity is most likely doesn't change from that? Toei staff is such a jews...
TlahuizcapanteJan 25, 2016 3:01 AM
Jan 25, 2016 6:26 PM

Jun 2012
It's not only the animation itself his complaining, it's the series as a hole. Toei has taken a pretty bad blow.
Jan 25, 2016 6:42 PM

Jun 2012
Rei366 said:
No problem. Why?

- the manga has a clear end (Toriyama made it even clearer by rewriting it for the perfect edition). Hell, his historic editor who later directed the magazine thinks like a big bunch of people out there DB should have been left at Frieza's end. (then we would have been blessed with a third great Toriyama manga)

- therefore, the only reason for those supplement "stories" to exist is called "fan-service": the first was showcasing the return of loved characters, their comic interactions, a new (not really) villain and a well choreographed martial-arts duel, strong reminiscences of the first third of the manga. While the 2nd displayed overpowered space warriors, (sadly) reduced the jokes etc, following the same evolution as the old manga. Did anyone watch the movies/Super hoping for some mind-blowing plot? I think people were either waiting for mindless over-the-top battles or the relatively innocent mix of humour and kung-fu, and we got both.

- Super is only an adaptation of the cannon movies who followed a script written on the base of some of Toriyama's ideas. We will still get the last movie, so why should a purely useless exploitation matter?

- could we talk a bit about laziness? Because I know the perfect incarnation of it: Toriyama-sensei himself. A large amount of his design/scenario choices were made with the only goal to reduce his workload (check them over the internet if you are interested).

Note: I love most of this author's work and I like the recent movies very much (for what they are).

I can't really wrap up what you are saying, are you telling no one's at fault? I can't really agree if it's that.
When I heard the new movies were coming out I was hyped and after watching I was really disappointed... They were worse than almost all the previous Z movies, yes the animation was recent, but it was still really bad for what they could have made, the goes same for Super anime.
Toriyama may have wrote the scripts, but for him to post that on a book, Toei must have really f*ck him up. I think they are just using him just for his "Toriyama" name, otherwise no one would bother another "GT".
Cell and Buu saga were squeezed out and still they were both awesome, so why couldn't they do the same for Super?
To me this is just a series of bad decisions being made one after another... Hell, the Director of Super anime is the one from Precure animes!?
SnaitaJan 25, 2016 6:52 PM
Jan 25, 2016 8:50 PM

Oct 2008
It's simple, They should blame the off-shore partners: Philippines

Jan 25, 2016 9:29 PM

Oct 2011
I, for one, absolutely love Super. Only animation gripe I ever had was that stupid god aura flame.

But then again it's Toei so I didn't go in expecting a whole lot.
This love for Hirasawa Yui consumes me, washing over my dirty weeaboo body with a cleansing warmth that allows me to reach greater heights. It inspires me to be a better man; not the man they deserve, but the man she deserves. Yui, I love you. With everything I have. You are my one, my only. Mai waifu.
Jan 26, 2016 2:24 AM

Dec 2015
Snaita said:

I can't really wrap up what you are saying, are you telling no one's at fault? I can't really agree if it's that.
When I heard the new movies were coming out I was hyped and after watching I was really disappointed... They were worse than almost all the previous Z movies, yes the animation was recent, but it was still really bad for what they could have made, the goes same for Super anime.
Toriyama may have wrote the scripts, but for him to post that on a book, Toei must have really f*ck him up. I think they are just using him just for his "Toriyama" name, otherwise no one would bother another "GT".
Cell and Buu saga were squeezed out and still they were both awesome, so why couldn't they do the same for Super?
To me this is just a series of bad decisions being made one after another... Hell, the Director of Super anime is the one from Precure animes!?

What could have they made in the films? An epic story about a great threat? The author himself was not up for that. Like I wrote before, those movies (and by extension Super) were never meant to be a continuation but some enjoyable fan-service full-length piece. I read Toriyama's interventions before watching the first movie and got exactly what I was expecting and understood it would be. Same thing for the sequel. Your mention of the last two parts of DB is a sign that you were clearly not expecting what they promised (long before we even got a picture or extract of the movie)
They did not "fuck his scripts off" because the last time they did such a thing, it was with Kurumada and the man dropped bombs on the studio. Toriyama helped the movie writing, he even aknowledged what he had done "wrong" to displease his "pseudo-fans" who were crying for some over-the-top fight (the sort of battle where you can't even follow actions and hardly name it a hand-to-hand fight). The comedic aspect and the battle style were "his fault" and that's why the second movie delivered a lot more action, involved more characters and featured a very long final fight with characters who demonstrate overpowered strengths. Again, he promised those adjustments and we saw them.

What I was telling is; he should not complain because he still has the third film to participate to and the series is not his thing. Second point: how can he judge the fruits of TOEI lazyness on DBS while he is known around the world for a terribly lazy mangaka. (not that I resent the man for that).

As for all those people who insist on how bad the 2 movies are, I will write it again here, you were never promised the dreams you builded since they announced most of the content long before the films releases.
Rei_IIIJan 26, 2016 2:30 AM
Jan 26, 2016 3:11 AM

Jul 2012
Dragonball Super had some really crappy animation, even when you did'nt visit sny forum or knew about it yet, you can't miss it. There are so many scenes that could have been so much better let's hope they will improve their quality at least in the new arc, would be a shame to see it turning into a low quality arc :/ this new arc is getting pretty interesting so yeah let's hope they won't make a fight similar as bad as ssj3 vs beerus or some of the scenes against freeza where done poorly..
Jan 26, 2016 6:51 AM

Jun 2012
Rei366 said:
Your mention of the last two parts of DB is a sign that you were clearly not expecting what they promised (long before we even got a picture or extract of the movie)

Well I was expecting a long running sequel like they implied they would do. I get what you are saying, past experiences say that Toryama ain't what he used to be, in DBZ he got lazy and all, there were indications that Super and movies wasn't going to be as good the hype made it to be. But in the end all that they publicized is how awesome it would be and how it would involve Toryama. People who were hyped got slapped with reality, but still they can't make movies and sequels knowing that it won't live up to the predecessors and expect people to not care about it. People were waiting for this for almost two decades, if they needed 10 more years so that they could do something good, no one would have mind. Now we got a safe show that only baits sales...
If Toei made Kurumada blow his top then I don't see why they couldn't do the same with Toryama. Toei isn't famous for learning from their mistakes, they made it once they can do it again, that's why I think Toryama wrote that.
SnaitaJan 26, 2016 6:56 AM
Jan 26, 2016 3:47 PM

Dec 2015
About Kurumada, true... but I hope they do not xD Toriyama would never have the courage(guts in english?) to take his pen again to draw some bonus story of DB.

Snaita said:
all that they publicized is how awesome it would be and how it would involve Toriyama. People who were hyped got slapped with reality, but still they can't make movies and sequels knowing that it won't live up to the predecessors and expect people to not care about it. People were waiting for this for almost two decades, if they needed 10 more years so that they could do something good, no one would have mind.

Again, knowing Toriyama's opinion about what his manga became under the Jump redaction pressure (in other words, the Androids and even more the end of it and Buu) against what he likes to create and seeing what his primary choices were for Kami to Kami, I think we got exactly what we were supposed to expect. Toriyama's name should never have been a promise for something in the vein of the Cell chapters. Like you said "people were waiting for almost two decades", but the problem is WHAT they were waiting for: a lot of them were totally biased thanks to the last parts of Dragon Ball or even more specifically thanks to the DBZ animation. The problem is those aren't in any way representative of the full series. On the contrary the 2 movies/series condensate the DB elements and that is probably tne reason why I enjoyed both movies in different ways (and also why several DBZ fans could not get along with them or the show and usually prefer the TV version)
" if they needed 10 more years so that they could do something good": actually, to get what the kind of fans I have mentionned above would qualify as good, it would have simply required to wait for Mr.Toriyama's death, since a lot/all of the things they disliked came from the author's view on his manga.

Conclusion: I think that to please the "fans", the mangaka's retirement from the franchise he started is needed (since they basically rejected everything he contributed to the movies/scripts/general directions). On the other hand, Toriyama himself is not happy to see his creation's name tarnished (funny seeing how little japanese nowadays really read his manga) by the technical aspect of what is nothing more than a poor TV adaptation/bastardization of the movies he helped to conceive (he has nothing against the story he co-wrote,^^"). That's why I am bit amused by all of this: the two sides are not on the same wavelength, even funnier is the fact this fan faction would gladly go against the man's opinion on his own work.
Rei_IIIJan 26, 2016 4:23 PM
Jan 26, 2016 4:13 PM

Jun 2012
Rei366 said:
The problem is those aren't in any way representative of the full series. On the contrary the 2 movies/series condensate the DB elements and that is probably tne reason why I enjoyed both movies in different ways (and also why several DBZ fans could not get along with them or the show and usually prefer the TV version)

Really? I think that the movies and Super miss out even more of DB than Cell and Buu arcs. They have no tension, like when Krillin died against Frieza, the first fight of Goku with Piccolo, kid Gohan training with Picollo, etc... Well in terms of comedy the movies and Super may have more, but I unfortunately don't find it funny...
Yeah I agree, people were looking forward to a slug fest on par with Cell and Buu.
Jan 26, 2016 4:21 PM

Jul 2013
so far dbs is horrid, lets hope the new arc can carry this bullshit.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jan 26, 2016 4:25 PM

Jun 2013
So, how about making GT canon?

Feb 19, 2016 9:00 AM

May 2014
can't disagree there. agree that the animation is not good. ^^
Feb 19, 2016 9:12 AM

May 2009
mangalicker94 said:
can't disagree there. agree that the animation is not good. ^^

It's a fucking eyesore.
Jun 21, 2016 8:04 AM
Jul 2018
Just bumping this thread to ask if there's been any noticeable improvements in the animation so far? I'm only up to episode 35 and it's still pretty bad in general and absolutely awful during fight scenes.
Jun 21, 2016 8:23 AM

Mar 2014
Cucky said:
Just bumping this thread to ask if there's been any noticeable improvements in the animation so far? I'm only up to episode 35 and it's still pretty bad in general and absolutely awful during fight scenes.

I just watched episode 47 earlier today, and the animation is MUCH better than it was. Now that they've been getting into new storylines, it seems like they're putting more effort into it.
Honestly, though... I thought the animation during the Universe 6 tournament (which you seem to still think is lacking) was an improvement over the Resurrection of F and Beerus arcs...
However, after that arc is where it seems like they really stepped it up even more. Even the animation during a filler arc between episodes 43-46 were animated better than anything else in DB Super thus far. I still prefer the animation style of DBZ, but they've at least gotten the animation in Super to a point where it's competent... so it's at least now watchable and enjoyable.
::End of Transmission::

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Super Episode 95 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2017

86 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 28, 2:28 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Super Episode 94 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2017

79 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 28, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Super Episode 93 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 3, 2017

109 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 28, 1:51 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Super Episode 92 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 27, 2017

110 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 28, 1:39 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Super Episode 91 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 20, 2017

59 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 28, 1:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.