Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Dec 22, 2015 8:50 AM

May 2013
Kuma said:
Dark_Chaos said:
He must be hard to please then, because the way I see it, there is plenty of satisfying substance to be found in harems.
that's because they also many that made. quantity wise, of couse many. quality wise? it's one of worst.

Quality is subjective, though I think I know what you were trying to say.

You were trying to say that because there are so many harems without what you consider to be "satisfying substance", that you see the whole genre in that negative light, correct?
Dec 22, 2015 8:52 AM

Jul 2015
the only harem that i respect is twgok others are shit
Dec 22, 2015 8:54 AM

Aug 2014
Because the MC ends up with X girl when everyone wanted him to end up with Y girl.
Dec 22, 2015 8:56 AM

Mar 2015
Dark_Chaos said:
Kuma said:
that's because they also many that made. quantity wise, of couse many. quality wise? it's one of worst.

You were trying to say that because there are so many harems without what you consider to be "satisfying substance", that you see the whole genre in that negative light, correct?
not really. i love harem, but i just understand the hate if this genre. that's all.

thou generelization wrong, force them to believe "harem is not bad" still can't be proven because it's indeed soo many bad things. rather than correcting them, let it be. it's not that they are complitely wrong. also force them to watch some "Quality" harem will only dissapointed them if there is no more. only suggest them if they are asking.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Dec 22, 2015 8:58 AM

Jul 2015
I think it's the cliches that come from harem, rather harem itself.
Dec 22, 2015 9:10 AM

May 2013
Kuma said:
Dark_Chaos said:

not really. i love harem, but i just understand the hate if this genre. that's all.

thou generelization wrong, force them to believe "harem is not bad" still can't be proven because it's indeed soo many bad things. rather than correcting them, let it be. it's not that they are complitely wrong. also force them to watch some "Quality" harem will only dissapointed them if there is no more. only suggest them if they are asking.

That's my beef with this whole thing really - generalisation :/ If a newbie makes sweeping statements like that, then fair do's really. He doesn't really know any better, and it is true that most of the genre is the little they've been exposed to. If someone has seen a lot of harems though, I'd expect them to be aware of the many exceptions to the rule.

I genuinely do believe that even in the worst of genres, there are many that don't follow that genre's generalisations and break the trend, and I'm happy when others are aware of that.
Dec 22, 2015 9:14 AM

Apr 2013
Dark_Chaos said:
Zefyris said:

Basically this. VEry few harem stories have satisfying substance in their characters.

You haven't seen many harems then.

The only three I've seen who were breaking that tendency were Negima's manga and Kaminomi's manga, as well as KyouHora's LN. Everything else I've read wasn't good. This includes the very praised yet very offensive "Hikaru ga chikyuu ni ita koro......" as well as any other work loosely based on genji monogatari I've read/seen. LN side, cube x cursed x curious was almost there at well, it wasn't a bad attempt.
I've never seen a satisfying harem in anime btw.
Dec 22, 2015 9:32 AM

May 2013
Zefyris said:
Dark_Chaos said:

You haven't seen many harems then.

The only three I've seen who were breaking that tendency were Negima's manga and Kaminomi's manga, as well as KyouHora's LN. Everything else I've read wasn't good. This includes the very praised yet very offensive "Hikaru ga chikyuu ni ita koro......" as well as any other work loosely based on genji monogatari I've read/seen. LN side, cube x cursed x curious was almost there at well, it wasn't a bad attempt.

That is a shame, it really is :/

I'm not one to harp on others tastes though. Hopefully, you'll find 1 one and you'll see the potential harems have :)
Dec 22, 2015 9:37 AM

Dec 2015
Lancehot said:
Harem is haram

Hehehe "Islamic Illuminatis"
Dec 22, 2015 9:40 AM

Mar 2015
Dark_Chaos said:
Zefyris said:

I'm not one to harp on others tastes though. Hopefully, you'll find 1 one and you'll see the potential harems have :)
RE:Monster is one most offensive things i ever read, but i would admit it's good. the MC is fucking asshole and unlikeable, yet what he does is make a sanse. kinda like mahouka but fantasy setings and better character.

tate no yuusha can be including. it's protayed edgy people in good ways.

The new gate is your typical OP person that trapped in game, but the MC actually make a sense. he even find the current currencey to avoid the inflation because he is the only one left have soo many golds in his storage.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Dec 22, 2015 9:45 AM

Dec 2015
BannoBunka_snork said:
I don't know - do they ? A majority ?

so far, I think as one premise among many it is fine.
It is probably one of the oldest male fantasies, as old as soon as brains were good enough to build such fantasies. I can imagine proto-human males having harem fantasies when control over fire was still a sometimes-yes, sometimes-fail thing.

And yes, sometimes it is interesting to see/think about if male MC or female cast actually get more consideration as characters - depth, backstory, authenticity (other than falling for the male).
Also - who is really in control - the one male or one or several or all of the females ?
Until now, I still find it interesting, not just as a fantasy, but also to ponder over.

But - I am new to this thing. So maybe one day I'll feel like this :
MortalMelancholy said:
Too dam many of them, and they're like 99% the same.

--------------------

Chiibi said:

If "generic trash" means "good-looking guy who is courteous and kind to girls without seeing them as sex toys' then I will take "generic trash" any day.

yep.
The very few I've seen so far, male MCs were somewhere between decent to very attractive.

Women are in control, women control everything.
Dec 22, 2015 9:58 AM

Dec 2015
Dairy_King said:
I think people only really hate harem for two reasons.

The first reason being that the harem genre is something that has been done time and time in the past. We've seen what happen in harem anime countless times over and over again. This is why I like School Days: it takes the common harem genre and deconstructs it, making it into something I haven't seen before, but sadly, even School Days can't protect itself from this next point:

The main character in most harem anime is never deserving of his harem. Here's an example of an anime where the main character is only moderately deserving of his harem: Trinity Seven. Even though it's not that clear, you can see that the girls in the show like the main character because of his "We can do it" attitude. An example of a harem where the main character is very poorly deserving of his harem is High School DxD. I get that anime is not supposed to be realistic, but even fictional females have to have some type of common sense: I don't care how dependable he is in desperate situations. Do you honestly think that this excuses Hyodo Issei from being a complete pervert? What's worse is that Rias Gremory feeds his sexual drive, so it doesn't stop.

This is my input.

Trinity Seven was the only decent Haram/Ecchi show so far. Mainly because the author takes times to develop the interpersonal relationships with interactions and it continues to evolve by the time. While most Harem shows so far have no interpersonal development at all, and the females falling in love/loving the MCs seems so ridiculously forced, and that's boring and totally unreasonable, that's all.
Dec 22, 2015 9:58 AM
Aug 2015
Plain Stupidity.
Most people that hate harems mostly consist of people that get into the series expecting some engaging 7 layered story with a lot of amazing character cast.
And when they done watching, all the could say is "I'ts just a generic harem shit with the usual MC trying to solve the problem of each girl"
Well duh, It's a harem after all good taste-kun.
Dec 22, 2015 10:07 AM

May 2013
Kuma said:
Dark_Chaos said:

RE:Monster is one most offensive things i ever read, but i would admit it's good. the MC is fucking asshole and unlikeable, yet what he does is make a sanse. kinda like mahouka but fantasy setings and better character.

The new gate is your typical OP person that trapped in game, but the MC actually make a sense. he even find the current currencey to avoid the inflation because he is the only one left have soo many golds in his storage.

These are the harems you think have some substance, yeah?
Dec 22, 2015 10:07 AM

Mar 2015
SmoothJazzDavis said:
Trinity Seven was the only decent Haram/Ecchi show so far. Mainly because the author takes times to develop the interpersonal relationships with interactions and it continues to evolve by the time. While most Harem shows so far have no interpersonal development at all, and the females falling in love/loving the MCs seems so ridiculously forced, and that's boring and totally unreasonable, that's all.
too bad, it's not even above average, also don't have anything special. and it is indeed have things you mentioned later, lOl.
Dec 22, 2015 10:09 AM

Jun 2012
Anyone remember how good Kore wa Zombie Desuka was? I do.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Dec 22, 2015 10:11 AM
Mar 2015
Ckan said:
Of the Icons of Anime, the Harem has long known great discord. Since its very conception and throughout the ages Harem has swelled in following, lost favour, and then grown once again.

Long divided, the Harem must be whole. Long whole, the Harem must be divided.
When the Harem is united, mankind knows favour and glories beyond imagining. When the Harem is disunited, chaos and misalignment reigns.

Why does Animedom face such conflict on the issue of Harem? It is because of its magnificence.
Harem as a whole is so wondrous and enlarged that its true form is beyond mortal comprehension: its extremities are a bliss engorged with wonder beyond all worldly desires.

Its glories to much to bear, Harem is thus divided. Divided, its wonders are countless and endless, yet they are not whole, and therefore not at their pinnacle.
Separated, Harem can be found in all facets, in all Anime, in all life. Its spread pieces form the bedrock of all society: it is love, hate, greed, lust, envy, sloth, and wrath.

In its manifold form Harem's true worth is hidden, such that it does not blind us with its beauty. Harem therefore hides perfection in imperfection. Never can we know the full greatness of Harem, never can we know the perfection of its Heaven.

The Elusive Harem is thus instigator of despair, as none can have it all, yet all know it in part. This rightly stimulates longing within all persons, and all persons seek in their heart Harem completed - yet never can its whole be found by mortal men.

Therefore, the ultimate appreciation of Harem can only be found in those of utmost sophistication - it is a balancing act of imagination and restraint. Imagination of its missing parts, restraint in one's wretched primal urges.

Blinded as we are, man can only hope to edge over this precipice and imagine the possibility of Harem.

But never do we give up hope - the belief that one day, Harem will return to us in all its gloried self.
Emina.

lol this is some quality shitposting.
Dec 22, 2015 10:11 AM

Mar 2015
Dark_Chaos said:
Kuma said:

not really substance, but zeyfris is LN reader, so i chose LN/WN. i don't really care about story substance since it's not what make things good. but indeed, it has sub substance in the character (at least the mc). the girl is not really explored faithfully in RE:Monster, but it's understable since in RE:Monster is using first view story.
Dec 22, 2015 10:15 AM

Apr 2013
Dark_Chaos said:
Zefyris said:

To be fair I'm not really searching any more. I thought that Hikaru would be good because it was by Bungaku SHoujo's author.
Little did I know, not only I don't especially like that author's writing/character/stories, but on top of this, Hikaru was the worst LN I've ever read. So offensive I could rant for days over all the things that are wrong in it.
So yeah, since then, I'm avoiding anything that has its main focus in harem. If it's not the main focus then it's still fine though, I can get over it.

Kuma said:
Dark_Chaos said:

Thanks for taking the time but I really doubt I would be interested. I avoid most stuff like Tate no yuusha even without the harem side, and for the new gate, I avoid Oretuee male characters in LN. I'm fine with the female ones though, some very interesting MC among them.
Dec 22, 2015 10:15 AM

Mar 2015
Holybaptiser said:
it's indeed good, but only when they are focusing on the necromancer (the main girl, forgot her name lOl) story. the rest is average. but at least it's funny and that's what important on this series. 8/10. like MM! or Hayate no Gotoku.
Dec 22, 2015 10:16 AM

Jun 2012
Kuma said:
Holybaptiser said:
it's indeed good, but only when they are focusing on esdeeth story. the rest is average. but at least it's funny and that's what important on this series. 8/10. like MM! or Hayate no Gotoku.
My god. Someone I agree with. RIP MM! and well, if anyone likes HnG, they need to read the manga.

Dec 22, 2015 10:22 AM

Mar 2015
Holybaptiser said:
Kuma said:
it's indeed good, but only when they are focusing on esdeeth story. the rest is average. but at least it's funny and that's what important on this series. 8/10. like MM! or Hayate no Gotoku.
My god. Someone I agree with. RIP MM! and well, if anyone likes HnG, they need to read the manga.
HnG anime adaptation by manglobe is just abomination. first 2 season is masterpiece thou, not all HnG adaptation is bad. just watch until season 2 then go to manga. that's all you need.
Dec 22, 2015 10:35 AM

May 2013
Kuma said:
Dark_Chaos said:
not really substance, but zeyfris is LN reader, so i chose LN/WN. i don't really care about story substance since it's not what make things good. but indeed, it has sub substance in the character (at least the mc). the girl is not really explored faithfully in RE:Monster, but it's understable since in RE:Monster is using first view story.

Ahh, I see.

I agree with you on the substance thing though. Some stories need it, some don't. It's like character development. Everyone thinks that it automatically makes a character good since there are so many examples of it being used well, but that's not always the case.
Dec 22, 2015 10:35 AM

Jan 2014
Plots for most harems are identical, but all of them are fun to watch
Dec 22, 2015 11:33 AM

Jan 2012
Holybaptiser said:

True as a girl who usually avoid harem... Kore da Zombie desuka was Awesome!;)
Dec 22, 2015 11:39 AM

Jun 2011
Okay pulling out one example of a good harem anime is kind of lame.

To answer the main question it's because the characters often make very dumb decisions and behave in very basic ways. I don't think everyone hates harem anime, however. They continue to release at least five harem per season versus new original stories because it's what fans like to see.

I admitt there are some harems which I have enjoyed however once you have seen three harems the stories all seem to blend together and you lose track of which female characters you like and etc.

Now reverse harems, with multiple males vs. females are just as bad for similar reasons. But we shouldn't go into that.
Dec 22, 2015 11:44 AM

Sep 2011
Snappynator said:
Because the MC ends up with X girl when everyone wanted him to end up with Y girl.
If that was the case, I'd actually like harem more. I can't stand that they don't ever actually end up with someone. Sure there might be little hints that MC likes someone more, but it feels rare where they actually become "official"

Reasons I don't like harems:
1. any official pairing is rare (whether I like the choice or not, I'd rather see someting)
2. Almost always has loads of fan service (not always bad, but sometimes pointless or extremely unnecessary)
3. Unrealistic (yes, I'm not watchin' for it to be realistic, but at the same time when there are like 5+ guys/girls, it's kinda... eh. If it was just two or three, that's understandable and easier to relate? to haha)
4. Plot tends to be lacking due to focusing on the many people in love with the MC and the stupidity of them all (but not always xD)

Anyway, I'm not completely against, but harem has a few draw backs that, if it looks like it doesn't have somethin' goin' for it, I can't find myself interested
Dec 22, 2015 11:46 AM
Dec 2015
Chiibi said:
I don&#039;t hate them....a few of my favorites are harem, in fact. Even though I am absolutely NOT the target audience....I really like the romance and normally watch them for the two leads.<br />
<br />
If it ends without the MC choosing the right girl though, I do get angry. lol
yeah I hate when the characters I want don't get together
Dec 22, 2015 11:59 AM

Oct 2014
Dark_Chaos said:
Kuma said:
he said "satisfying" substance. not just there is substance exist.

He must be hard to please then, because the way I see it, there is plenty of satisfying substance to be found in harems.

tits and ass do not count as substance you know?
Dec 22, 2015 12:47 PM

May 2013
gabrielrroiz said:
Dark_Chaos said:

tits and ass do not count as substance you know?

Never said they did lad. You'd have to be pretty silly to think that :S
Dec 22, 2015 12:49 PM

Jan 2012
I dont hate harem, I actually like harem anime

Yahallo!
Yatta!
Baka!

<!
"Humans, your existence was a mistake. Conflicts, lies, jealously, greed. You once caused me to lose everything and today I will devour everything... Because I am the Valkyrie Goddess">
Dec 22, 2015 12:50 PM
Jul 2018
because it's annoying af
Dec 22, 2015 1:26 PM

Jul 2015
*sighs* So there were so many poor souls who didn't understand the glory of harem .Very well then I shall explain .
The true appeal of harem lies in the gurls of course .Who gives a damn about the protagonist's situation .Harem comes with waifu material and as such whatever crap it pulls is justified
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Dec 22, 2015 1:37 PM

Jul 2015
IReallyLikeAnime said:
Who cares? As long as they keep making harems I don't give a shit.

That's the spirit my friend .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Dec 22, 2015 1:41 PM

Jul 2013
People are jealous of that Beta MC nº 10000 get all the pussies and they not.
Dec 22, 2015 1:46 PM

Aug 2011
Ryothatic said:
Harem is fine, however there is a stunning lack of yuri harem. Yuri harems should be more prevalent in this anime society.

Shitsurakuen. Yuri harem manga. It's pretty good, and I think it's the only yuri harem series out there. I do wish one day we can get a yuri harem anime.

I've never been very fond of harems, but lately I've figured they're just the type of dumb fun series that I shouldn't take too seriously. I still won't watch them, but at the very least they don't deserve the irrational hate.

Dec 22, 2015 1:52 PM

May 2014
I find them annoying

but I don't watch them because of that

don't need to hate on a genre. I just don't have to watch it.
Dec 22, 2015 4:28 PM

Dec 2015
Kuma said:
SmoothJazzDavis said:
too bad, it's not even above average, also don't have anything special. and it is indeed have things you mentioned later, lOl.

Well, nobody can call himself Molière.
Dec 22, 2015 4:55 PM

Nov 2013
Harems are full of cringe worthy shit. If you're looking for a good old cringe you watch a Harem anime and laugh at how stupid it is.
Dec 22, 2015 6:05 PM

Nov 2008
Holybaptiser said:

Quite possibly the best harem show ever. I am Team Eu. :3

Dec 22, 2015 6:43 PM

Jan 2015
People just have their own personal tastes on different types of anime. While I do support harem anime, I believe the reason why people dislike this genre is because of characters and setting being boring, and overuse of fanservice.
Dec 22, 2015 7:04 PM

Jun 2012
Chiibi said:
Holybaptiser said:

I would give that title to Sora no Otoshimono season 1.

Dec 22, 2015 7:20 PM

Nov 2008
Holybaptiser said:
Chiibi said:

Honestly? I didn't like the characters very much. Tomoki is the exact type of harem lead I despise. He was REALLY annoying.

But I absolutely adore Ayumu cute butt Aikawa. XD

Dec 22, 2015 7:48 PM

Jun 2012
Chiibi said:
Holybaptiser said:

Honestly? I didn't like the characters very much. Tomoki is the exact type of harem lead I despise. He was REALLY annoying.

I liked Tomoki because I thought his antics were funny, and because I had read the manga, I could see the Tomoki past his perverted schemes. He really cared for the angels and he never wanted to own them, he wanted them to be free - he always saw them as locked up birds in a cage. Tomoki was a great dude, he did so much for the angels. Aside from him, Astaraea and Nymph were dope as fuck.

Dec 22, 2015 7:56 PM
Nov 2015
Chiibi said:
Holybaptiser said:

I'd take annoying MCs over walking sticks anyday of the year.
Dec 22, 2015 8:00 PM

May 2015
Is there a reason for me to think that a harem is actually any good? So far they've all sucked. Beyond fan service, they offer nothing for the viewer, they lack character and plot development. Beyond episode one the plot goes nowhere for the rest of the series.

The main character also tends to be a tool, though never in the same way which I find odd.
Slightly Dangerous

Dec 22, 2015 8:02 PM

Jun 2012
DragonTamer1 said:
Is there a reason for me to think that a harem is actually any good? So far they've all sucked. Beyond fan service, they offer nothing for the viewer, they lack character and plot development. Beyond episode one the plot goes nowhere for the rest of the series.

The main character also tends to be a tool, though never in the same way which I find odd.
Are you asking a question and answering it yourself? What kind of input are you expecting? Why do you need anyone to tell you that you need to like something? Are you a sheep?

Dec 22, 2015 8:10 PM

May 2015
Holybaptiser said:
DragonTamer1 said:

Are you asking a question and answering it yourself? What kind of input are you expecting? Why do you need anyone to tell you that you need to like something? Are you a sheep?

It was largly a rhetorical question because I already know all of the possible answers to it, none of which will change my mind.

What I did was ask a question similar to what the OP asked but from the opposite point of view, I then listed all of my points on the issue as to justify my own position. The idea was to incite some form of critical thinking into the discussion that was directed towards the opposition.

What is with everyone calling me a sheep lately?
Slightly Dangerous

Dec 22, 2015 8:20 PM

Jun 2012
DragonTamer1 said:
Holybaptiser said:

It was largly a rhetorical question because I already know all of the possible answers to it, none of which will change my mind.

What I did was ask a question similar to what the OP asked but from the opposite point of view, I then listed all of my points on the issue as to justify my own position. The idea was to incite some form of critical thinking into the discussion that was directed towards the opposition.

I called you sheep because you sound like a goddamn fool.

Dec 22, 2015 8:29 PM

May 2015
Holybaptiser said:
DragonTamer1 said:

I called you sheep because you sound like a goddamn fool.

Personal attacks really help your argument, keep up the good work champ.
Slightly Dangerous

Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

280 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» What is the most memorable first episode of an anime you've watched?

mahrjose - 7 hours ago

16 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
9 minutes ago

» Best pink haired girl? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Jan 22

58 by MasterTasuke »»
12 minutes ago

» How far are you willing to forgive anime for its obvious (to you) disadvantages?

RobertBobert - 7 hours ago

18 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
13 minutes ago

» Describe an anime with zoomer language

ZakuF_ - 12 hours ago

5 by ST63LTH »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.