Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 21, 2015 10:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Holy shit, this episode had style.

The historical analogies were really cool and this episode focuses a bit more on Tsukki. Not a fan of him though but it's nice ot see his past. The drama escalated fast and I think it's understandable why some of the guys are frustrated at his behavior. And damn, Koutarou can look to be a bit scary at times lol

Nov 21, 2015 10:26 AM

Nov 2007
Megane guy saw his enthusiastic brother playing valleyball since young and practiced together, but seeing his brother not on the regular after practicing so hard makes him shocked. That guy with megane guy also knows about it (sort of) because they met each other at one chance (getting bullied boys off).

Asking about why try too hard to those members from other teams? Enjoying it, huh. Interesting: Sun vs. moon (their names). After that, megane guy became serious.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 21, 2015 11:53 AM

Apr 2015
Tsukishima finding out about his brother felt heartbreaking. Good episode, and he gradually recovered in the end. Cute how he and Yamaguchi hung around each other back then.
Nov 21, 2015 12:18 PM

Jun 2015
I like that they focused on Tsukki today. Always enjoy backstories... kinda sucks to be lied to by your bro, but i guess he did it for a reason. i would've done the same thing.

Nov 21, 2015 12:27 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
The sun vs the moon....Great analogy there

After seeing what happened in Tsukishima's past with his big brother I have nothing but sympathy for the kid and this explains his attitude as well imo.

Thankfully he was able to come through in the end and now the entire team is thinking ahead and positively at that too :)
Nov 21, 2015 12:33 PM

Jun 2014
i got really excited at the end and then the ep ended... fuck
:3
Nov 21, 2015 12:40 PM

Jan 2013
Tsukki calling Yamaguchi cool.

Bokutooooooooooooooo!

Tsukki blocking Bokuto.

Can't write. Goodbye. I love this show.
Nov 21, 2015 12:40 PM

Sep 2008
Tsukki you are so cool! *.*

I have no idea, Kuroo is actually is a nice guy... :)

Glad we don't have to wait too long to understand why Tsukki was like that :)

I have feeling like Sakurai-san have lot of roles in this season/year anime. xD

Haikyuu is one of these series where episode can focus on other supporting character and I don't get bored watch it! *.*

This was cool episode!
And that PV!
Can't wait to see next episode!
Nov 21, 2015 12:44 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was heartbraking to see Tsukki discovering his brother's lie. He probably didn't want Tsukki to find out because he was afraid to see Tsukki lose his love for volleyball and him.

Great to see the wake up call from Yamaguchi who manned up incredibly, seeing his past with Tsukki, that was kinda adorable. :)

Tsukki wants to improve finally!
Nov 21, 2015 12:50 PM

Jun 2008
ALL THE FEELS T w T

Chibi Tsukki and Yamaguchi <3
Nov 21, 2015 12:51 PM

Aug 2010
Amazing ep. From now on Tsukki will keep growing to be one of my favs.

Tsukki's brother really traumatized him hard. That was quite the lame thing to do. It's quite interesting to see the reason Tsukki actually doesn't want to try hard is because he wants to be the best player ever and his fear of having someone above him. That's not a reason many unmotivated characters have. I find it really cool.

Go Yamaguchi. The way he motivated Tsukki with Pride was awesome

Yachi's "What's the difference between Whoosh and Swish was lol

Lol'd so much at Bokuto and Kuroo's "Tada no bukatsu" and "Taka no bukatsu" sounding like a name part. They're hilarious XD And Loved Bokuto's logic. Simple but can penetrate the soul!
Then how he was "I answered u now help blocking" with the troll faces ROFL

Yachi's "Kill" as in killing something and her "EHHH" were hilarious XD Still paranoid are we lol

The Tsukki intimidation at the end causing Bokuto to feint was epic. Loved all the reactions to Tsukki finally coming out of his shell. And the OST playing along made it even more chilling.
Nov 21, 2015 12:52 PM

Jun 2009
Tsukki! Yamaguchi! Bokuto! Akaashi!

I love this anime so much! I am drowning in happiness.

I can't wait for next episode
Nov 21, 2015 12:57 PM

Dec 2012
Ahh I prayed for so long for Takahiro Sakurai to have a role in Haikyuu and I finally get to hear him I'm so happy

THERE IT IS THERE IT IS THERE IT IS

I waited 2924732948 years for this scene

They're both my fav characters but I'm on the sun's side tbh ily tsukki but hinata is still best

My fav scene in the whole world is next!
steponmebakuraNov 21, 2015 1:18 PM
Nov 21, 2015 12:58 PM

Jul 2010
The two goes back from this far, but did Tsukki smile a lot back then, especially when he was with his brother.

Yamaguchi is such a friend!!! Even from back then to now, being able to confront Tsukki like that and lit the fire inside him.

The real game starts now! Kuroo is pretty awesome too.
Nov 21, 2015 1:05 PM

May 2015
The flashback <3
Tsukki said that Yamaguchi is cool! 5/5
Nov 21, 2015 1:25 PM

Jul 2014
To discover that his brother was not even on the bench. Must have been crushing.
Nov 21, 2015 1:27 PM

Dec 2011
This explains Tsukki's attitude.
I feel really sad for him discovering his bro's lie. Like you got hit by a ton of bricks.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 21, 2015 1:32 PM

Jan 2015
Another great episode.
Nov 21, 2015 1:36 PM

Mar 2014
Another great episode, the moment he spotted his brother was heartbreaking.

LOVED how the moment Tsukki became serieus and his hands popped op in the bottom of the screen the hands were drawn in that typical style that we sometimes see when a character hits a serve REALLY hard.

And I can't believe how incredibly consistent and detailed the animation is so far. Even when characters are simply talking they keep moving and it makes them feel like actual people with a lit of energy. I.G. is doing a fantastic job on this show and it's one of the best looking shows I've seen this year
Nov 21, 2015 1:39 PM

Mar 2012
Absolutely well done episode! Tsukki's backstory is quite a unique one in terms of how he developed his relatively uncaring attitude. It's a non-tragic (I mean physically like an injury) one resulting in some scarring trauma in quite a reasonable fashion.

Got a bit of Yamaguchi too since that backstory. "Lame." xD

And the OST continues to get better and better! The part where Bokuto explained "the moment" had such an awesome violin part! And oh boy, Tsukki's moment later on is oh-so-EPIC! >:)
Nov 21, 2015 1:44 PM

Jun 2014
Nice backstory about Tsukki explaining why he's so apathetic about volleyball. The look in Tsukki's brother's eyes was pretty heartbreaking to see, he pretty much knew without a doubt that Tsukki was disappointed in him. But Tsukki has definitely become an improved player, he even instilled a little fear in Bokuto, and everyone else noticed his improvement as well. Can't wait for the next episode.

People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Nov 21, 2015 1:44 PM

Jul 2014
Simply Brilliant episode. This show currently has no flaws
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Nov 21, 2015 1:47 PM

Dec 2013
This episode was so so good. I love the Tsukki's flashback. Bokuto and Kuroo is such a nice pair. Also, I love the rivalry between Hinata and Tsukki. Sun and moon really fit these two.
Nov 21, 2015 1:47 PM

Apr 2013
Best episode yet! I didn't care for Tsukishima before this episode yet now he's one of my favourites in the anime. His view on volleyball as a club activity, his flashback and even the little discussion he had with his friend were quite realistic and in my opinion much more interesting than the whole Hinata vs Kageyama thing we had a few weeks ago.

Btw, the ost was fantastic this episode, even more so than usual.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Nov 21, 2015 1:50 PM

Jul 2014
XPwnDEnd said:
And the OST continues to get better and better! The part where Bokuto explained "the moment" had such an awesome violin part! And oh boy, Tsukki's moment later on is oh-so-EPIC! >:)

I really liked that part too. Specially the shredding (or whatever the violin equivalent is called) towards the end. And I like how things are kept realistic, like Bokuto still one-upping Tsukki with a feint. Would have been really lame if Tsukki blocked a national spiker just because he became determined.
Nov 21, 2015 1:53 PM

Dec 2013
Decent episode. Tsukki's backstory was okay. His brother really was lame lol

Tsukki x Yamaguchi?

I enjoyed the moon vs sun analogy
Nov 21, 2015 1:58 PM
Mar 2010
Sakurai's voice performance sucks as usual. Recently, he's only good at serious maniacs, not good for normal dudes anymore.

But that Bokuto facial expression that led to Tsukishima's evolution... Can't wait for next week~
Nov 21, 2015 2:24 PM

Oct 2015
how freaking adorable is it to see Tsukki blushing and being proud of his brother?! *_____*

I am more than satisfied with how Production I.G. adapts the manga :D

Aug 2014
Tsukki's brother was benched because of the black haired little thug.

Oct 2011
Sun vs Moon

Tsuki T__________T
Nov 21, 2015 2:35 PM
Jul 2018
I really liked Tsukishima's backstory, I can't believe his older brother lied to him about the volleyball matches and about being on a team!
Nov 21, 2015 2:35 PM

Apr 2007
How is it that the soundtrack is so amazing? Seriously.

Great episode, I've been looking forward to this part for a while! Tsukki's backstory and epic Yamaguchi. Those two are always hanging around together, but this is the first time we've really heard Tsukki say anything about Yamaguchi. It always bothered me until now lol

Looking forward to more sun vs moon fun~
Nov 21, 2015 2:53 PM

Mar 2008
Heartwrenching until that awful head-tilt, sfx, and samurai metaphor. Too silly for me.

Gotta love the turning point build-up - that soundtrack's too cool. The excitement is boiling right up.
Nov 21, 2015 2:56 PM
Dec 2014
I love Tsukki now.
j
Nov 21, 2015 3:01 PM

Jun 2014
Captains of Nekoma and Fukurodani are pretty chill and funny dudes xD
I really like them and their VA's :3

Damn dat Tsukki development! A new baby crow came out of his shell. :D
This is why I love HQ! <3
Nov 21, 2015 3:04 PM
Mar 2011
Anyone know what the blonde girl thought up at the end when she said "The sun versus the moon?" Maybe she realized that both can be in the sky at the same time sometimes like shown in the last picture with the moon showing during day. So it's not necessary that it's either Hinata or Tsukishima but both of them can be great together. Am I making any sense?
Nov 21, 2015 3:15 PM

Jul 2014
Tsukki!!
Nov 21, 2015 3:17 PM

May 2014
My fuckin' heart!
Nov 21, 2015 3:20 PM

Aug 2014
Pretty sure I'm going to lose my virginity before this guy gets to play a game, but I like his enthusiasm!
Nov 21, 2015 4:33 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Ckan said:
Heartwrenching until that awful head-tilt, sfx, and samurai metaphor. Too silly for me.

Gotta love the turning point build-up - that soundtrack's too cool. The excitement is boiling right up.

Yeah I was not expecting the samurai metaphor lol (even though I read the manga...). I don't think that really necessary, and Tsukki's expression was quite scary, would've preferred a different expression, since it was an odd contrast to Akiteru's heartbreaking expression of being found out.

I really liked the episode though, I find Tsukki (and Yamaguchi) more interesting than Hinata. Kuroo gave Tsukki tips, which was definitely helpful against Bokuto.
Nov 21, 2015 4:45 PM

Mar 2012
tingy said:
Ckan said:

Yeah I was not expecting the samurai metaphor lol (even though I read the manga...). I don't think that really necessary, and Tsukki's expression was quite scary, would've preferred a different expression, since it was an odd contrast to Akiteru's heartbreaking expression of being found out.

Gotta agree with this. Don't remember if that was in the manga at all, but it really seemed unnecessary here. Wasn't the biggest fan of how that was exactly done, but at least the rest of the backstory was done quite well.

Hollweg said:
Pretty sure I'm going to lose my virginity before this guy gets to play a game, but I like his enthusiasm!

Nov 21, 2015 4:55 PM

Apr 2011
Tsukii FTW nice we got to see more of his back story.
Nov 21, 2015 5:38 PM
Oct 2009
Anyone else notice Kamiya Hiroshi's voice saying, "LEFT! LEFT!" at the beginning of the flashbacks? Makes me believe even more that Takeda-Sensei is the Little Giant.
Nov 21, 2015 6:21 PM

Apr 2011
I actually think that if big bro hadn't lied, Tsukishima would not have been hit nearly as hard. Like he said, "pointless lies".
Nov 21, 2015 6:28 PM

Dec 2012
Nice little flashback into Tsukishima. Must of been heart breaking to see his brother cheering for the team instead of actually playing.
Small glimpse of the Little Giant.
Nice to see the captains of the other teams helping out Tsukishima.
Sun vs Moon.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Nov 21, 2015 6:40 PM

Jul 2015
Tsukki really looks like it will begin to strive to improve the volleyball :)
Nov 21, 2015 7:47 PM

Aug 2010
YUS THIS EPISODEEEEEEEEE THE DEVELOPMENTTTTT IG DELIVEREDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Tsukki and Gucchi's dramatic scene was well done, and so was the flashback (aside from that samurai scene that everyone seems to find odd as well). All the gag scenes were well done, and Kuroo's snicker at the end when Tsukki did the "Kill" block = best. Can't wait for spring now omg wonder how far they're gonna get into.....
Nov 21, 2015 8:08 PM

Nov 2012
personally i thought the samurai metaphor was good-- really emphasizes how painful and shocking it was for tsukki to see the reality. could be symbolic of how his enthusiasm for volleyball club was killed as well.

baby tsukki and yamaguchi were way too precious ; - ; this episode was fantastic
Nov 21, 2015 9:47 PM

Dec 2014
Another awesome episode. Loved the Sun vs Moon analogy. Tsuki is finally getting into the game. That determination for the block at the end was so epic!

Kuroo and Bokuto are just awesome, I loved it when Kuroo started laughing after Bokuto only managed to slip it past the blockers at the end.
Nov 21, 2015 9:51 PM

Jun 2015

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2016

252 by egeD19 »»
Apr 4, 7:44 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2016

130 by iamsnakeuu »»
Apr 3, 11:36 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2015

111 by iamsnakeuu »»
Apr 3, 11:03 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

111 by iamsnakeuu »»
Mar 16, 8:28 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Second Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2015

110 by iamsnakeuu »»
Mar 16, 7:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.