Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 11, 2009 5:14 PM

Oct 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

The Simoun is the chariot of God..

Mar 31, 2013 5:11 PM

Jan 2008
well... that was interesting, though not especially gripping. Some interesting concepts and an interesting world.
"Truth is always a delusion." - Friedrich Dürrenmatt
Dec 18, 2013 9:28 PM

Jan 2009
i started watching because i found a youtube clip of this show and fell in love with the music. since then, i've listened to the whole ost of this show and have fallen even more in love. i can't wait to hear it in those moments. it's been like 7 years since this show came out. i'm surprised i haven't seen it yet.
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Dec 19, 2013 1:20 AM

Jan 2009
the main reason reason why i found this series is because i happened to have found the Simoun ost. As i'm listening to the most saddest song on there called (Yuukei no Kumo) and writing my last comment on the show, i'm bidding Simoun farewell.

i've decided to drop this series cuz it's taking forever for the story to show itself. from episodes 1-6, they always seem to be going somewhere on ship...but where to? seems like they're just wandering in places with all the drama that's going on in the ship.

and there's just way too many characters. i like the leads (especially Aer) but not enough show time for them.

meh, maybe i'll come back to Simoun if theres nothing else to watch. but dam it, the ost was soooo good and made me cry. i guess the pace of the story is just too slow.
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Dec 20, 2013 8:02 AM
Jun 2010
This get any better? The only reason I started watching it is because I made a vow to watch every single anime Chiaki Ishikawa sings in since I'm obsessed with her music.
So far it's kind of boring, maybe because I don't understand enough of what's going on. I also dislike that the men are played by women. I realize all people start off as female, but if they become male, then their voices should change, too.
Also, I just hope this isn't another one of those "we're just going to battle and have no real other aspects to our plot whatsoever" anime.
Dec 22, 2013 5:56 PM

May 2013
LookB4uJump said:
This get any better? The only reason I started watching it is because I made a vow to watch every single anime Chiaki Ishikawa sings in since I'm obsessed with her music.
So far it's kind of boring, maybe because I don't understand enough of what's going on. I also dislike that the men are played by women. I realize all people start off as female, but if they become male, then their voices should change, too.
Also, I just hope this isn't another one of those "we're just going to battle and have no real other aspects to our plot whatsoever" anime.

"So far it's kind of boring"
Well no shit, you're 1 episode in.
MizusiDec 22, 2013 10:11 PM
May 30, 2014 3:25 PM

Nov 2011
I think this has promise tbh. There are plenty of characters for development and its' a 2 cour show. I'll let the story show its true colors. The music is awesome too.
Dec 26, 2014 3:33 PM

Nov 2014
Mizusi said:
LookB4uJump said:

"So far it's kind of boring"
Well no shit, you're 1 episode in.

Shows don't have to start this slow, and many don't.
May 23, 2016 11:02 AM

Feb 2014
Really cool so far! The soundtrack is awesome, and the premise of the show is quite intriguing. I definitely want to see what happens next!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2016 2:37 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Never refuse giving a try to yuri anime, so when those kisses started to land I was like, "we getting some hot yuri stuff so soon in the anime?! NICE!"
Story seems interesting, and I like Neviril design, already shipping her and the Aaeru.

And I dunno but this is giving me some Strawberry Panic vibes, like Aaeru is soo naive and active, while Neviril looks more like a ojou-sama, mature and calm, oh boy definitly waiting to see that ship sail!
Oct 9, 2016 11:18 AM
Feb 2013
Without really knowing what this series was I managed to win the first 3 DVDs at a charity auction.

So far so good, plenty of nice animation & music, some interesting concepts at play.

The Simouns could be classed as "fairy punk" in their style.

I'm still getting to grips with the characters, but that's not too surprising, most series need a few episodes to establish everything.
Dec 22, 2020 2:46 PM

Aug 2018
Great music and a unique animation style. I think this is going to be good.
Feb 14, 2021 3:34 AM

Feb 2012
I'm somewhat intrigued by the beginning. The MAL score sets expectations a bit lower for this series, but I have a theory that if there's shoujo-ai, it could be underappreciated. And also if there's war and conflict, yet it's about character studies, those who expect action might become disappointed, and vice versa.

Can't say much yet about the characters. It looks pretty for its time except for the ships. I don't know how they did that exactly, but the ships look CGI while the rest looks hand-drawn, which makes the ships look really out of place.

Loved the soundtrack, although I wasn't sure whether it was original pieces or not. The classical theme played in the battle sounded like the first movement of Mozart's 40th symphony, musically like the development section, so I kept wondering if it's Mozart, because it didn't quite sound the same. Later there was an Argentinian tango which made me wonder if it's Piazzolla or just a pastiche. The possibility of the music being pastiche that evokes a very familiar feeling to a particular piece made me think the composer could be Yoko Kanno, but apparently no.

Oh and yes, Argentinian tango... one of the countries is apparently called Argentum, probably not a coincidence. The name is Latin for silver, and then we have Simulacrum, I wonder what's the significance of those.
Mar 27, 2023 5:46 AM

Aug 2020
This first episode wasn't much impressive as it just dump info about it's world and what they are doing since I expect such things to clear after couple of episode of starting but still interested in its cast since they are mostly mystery and I hope it's turn out character driven instead of plot driven series because of it's concept.
Feb 4, 6:17 PM

Sep 2020
Wow, that was a whole lot of information to absorb all at once. I'm liking the concept, a lot of Last Exile vibes.
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz

More topics from this board

Poll: » Simoun Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kotori - Apr 6, 2008

75 by teaknight »»
Mar 1, 11:52 AM

Poll: » Simoun Episode 10 Discussion

gohdan - Sep 22, 2011

10 by SlammyHammy »»
Feb 4, 7:20 PM

Poll: » Simoun Episode 8 Discussion

gohdan - Sep 8, 2011

13 by SlammyHammy »»
Feb 4, 7:16 PM

Poll: » Simoun Episode 4 Discussion

MagEarwhig - Aug 7, 2012

8 by SlammyHammy »»
Feb 4, 6:31 PM

Poll: » Simoun Episode 2 Discussion

Ksanclaire122 - Aug 8, 2013

5 by SlammyHammy »»
Feb 4, 6:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.