Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 21, 2015 8:04 PM

Aug 2014
Shino have to control her god damned jealousy towards Itami rank, just having the brawn doesn't mean shit.

Rory spinning her halberd doesn't gets old lol, especially after witnessing 2 person who got injured trying to hold it.
Your taste in Anime is shit.

Because you can't differentiate between what's good and bad.

How sad.
Aug 21, 2015 8:09 PM
Oct 2012
Grisaille said:
Shino have to control her god damned jealousy towards Itami rank, just having the brawn doesn't mean shit..

Shino isn't really jealous, lets just say that she knows very well what personality type is usually required to be an Army elite, and she loves that type. Itami, as the animation stated, doesn't have that attitude.

To use a simile: Shino fantasizes about special forces like a girl who fantasizes about meeting a prince and learns that the reality is Prince Charles.
Takuan_SohoAug 21, 2015 8:15 PM
Aug 21, 2015 8:11 PM

Jul 2008
Ugh, the poisoning of the knights is nigh.
Aug 21, 2015 8:23 PM

Dec 2007
Takuan_Soho said:
Grisaille said:
Shino have to control her god damned jealousy towards Itami rank, just having the brawn doesn't mean shit..

Shino isn't really jealous, lets just say that she knows very well what personality type is usually required to be an Army elite, and she loves that type. Itami, as the animation stated, doesn't have that attitude.

To use a simile: Shino fantasizes about special forces like a girl who fantasizes about meeting a prince and learns that the reality is Prince Charles.
When you combine this scene with the fight at Italica, it's more likely that she is somewhat jealous. Her fantasy seems to be not so much to meet someone like that, as to be someone like that. She definitely is upset that someone like "him" has succeeded in reaching areas that she herself can't, especially because she sees herself as infinitely more suited. Though there is still the factor that her ideal is represented by "this guy," which is a let down either way.
Aug 21, 2015 8:41 PM

Aug 2008
Elf look good in business suit.

Rory own this episode.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 21, 2015 8:44 PM
Jun 2015
SchwingBoner said:

Ahahaha. Rory vs that Diet woman was the best. The ''little girl'' got wrecked by best girl.

Wow, so Itami was married. I wonder if his being an otaku had anything to do with their break-up.

No, his ex-wife is a fujoshi. So, she can understand his hobby.
Aug 21, 2015 8:58 PM
Jun 2015
greed2 said:
Aridus said:
I loved how Not-Obama, Not-Putin and Not-Xi Jinping were watching all of that.

yeah, no kidding. Bit of a shame we didn't see their reaction at Rory's age. I am wondering why certain "guests" just went after that bus. Don't tell me that China or Russia wants to kidnap either Rory or Tuka to perform inhuman experiments on them in an attempt to find the the secrets to eternal youth.

They wanted to 'invite' the royalty of the Empire to their country (by any means necessary).

Mod Edit: spoiler removed.
rodacAug 21, 2015 10:57 PM
Aug 21, 2015 9:05 PM

Apr 2013
Rory rekting small sons. This show is getting better by the week. Includes action + light-hearted comedy + a tad bit of slice & life in both Japan and the other world.
REALITY IS A CRAPPY GAME

Aug 21, 2015 9:06 PM

Apr 2011
This was excellent. Loved it every single time Rory said ojouchan :)
Aug 21, 2015 9:07 PM

Jul 2013
I can't get enough of the other world people getting amazed at modern day civilization. I hope they keep getting surprised by stuff that most people take for granted later on in the show.
Aug 21, 2015 9:14 PM

Oct 2011
Rory and her natural lipstick!

She is definitely the best character of this show.

I'm curious about Itami's ex wife. A mangaka, huh? It will be interesting.
Aug 21, 2015 9:15 PM

Nov 2008
Tuka still looking pretty just like in the LN

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Aug 21, 2015 9:19 PM

Aug 2014
Goremonger said:
I can't get enough of the other world people getting amazed at modern day civilization. I hope they keep getting surprised by stuff that most people take for granted later on in the show.
I love that about this show aswell!
🗿

I am easily entertained.

Aug 21, 2015 9:27 PM

Aug 2013
Great episode, the plot changes from a serious moment for a moment comic quickly, I like this approach, several amazing things in the episode, as Itame's qualifications, the age of the girls, and know that Itame already was married, I am increasingly excited about the plot, I'm looking forward to the next episodes ..
Aug 21, 2015 9:39 PM

Aug 2008
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:

but what kinda backwards politics is this? This japanese woman is crying that 150 random villagers from the other world died from an uncontrollable event. They didnt even know these people existed a few months ago, and she is ignorantly and apathetically criticizing soldiers who are representing her own country.

Probably a member of the opposition party. For example, if the current Japanese government in Gate is LDP, then the woman most likely from Democratic Party of Japan.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 21, 2015 10:18 PM
Jul 2018
Zapredon said:
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:

but what kinda backwards politics is this? This japanese woman is crying that 150 random villagers from the other world died from an uncontrollable event. They didnt even know these people existed a few months ago, and she is ignorantly and apathetically criticizing soldiers who are representing her own country.

Probably a member of the opposition party. For example, if the current Japanese government in Gate is LDP, then the woman most likely from Democratic Party of Japan.
I think she is based off a real politician the author hates (cause original WN he used this part to basically put a rant on everything he hated then proceeded to basically give it all the middle finger.
Aug 21, 2015 10:24 PM
Oct 2010
Zapredon said:
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:

I came to this conclusion as well, but I really hate that the anime didn't make this more clear. It was the first thing I've complained about here because I don't really see why they could have just stuck in her goal when she was having her inner monologue, most of the time I was thinking.. what is this woman's goal? Then I realized oh yeah, the opposition..
Aug 21, 2015 10:29 PM

Jul 2014
Rory is the best character ever.
Aug 21, 2015 10:38 PM

Nov 2014
DenjaX said:

Wow! She looks really nice and her appearance seems to be the most faithful to the LN.
Anyways, great episode, as usual.
Aug 21, 2015 10:45 PM
Aug 2008
i just realized that ONLY THOSE FROMOTHER WORLD that have COLORFUL anime hair.

people from normal world have black, grey, blonde, brown
Aug 21, 2015 10:47 PM

Jan 2010
Don't worry folks, expect a lot more from Rory especially in the next couple of episodes. You will love her even more xD. And was I right in thinking that Rory was about to kill that bitch when her lips turned purple? Lol
Aug 21, 2015 10:48 PM
Jul 2018
skudoops said:
Zapredon said:

I came to this conclusion as well, but I really hate that the anime didn't make this more clear. It was the first thing I've complained about here because I don't really see why they could have just stuck in her goal when she was having her inner monologue, most of the time I was thinking.. what is this woman's goal? Then I realized oh yeah, the opposition..

If I were to look at the author's POV, it has something to do with his hate for Japanese politicians and how they always get in the way of the JDSF. I mean this woman is based off an actual politician that existed when he wrote this.
Aug 21, 2015 10:50 PM
Aug 2008
skudoops said:
Zapredon said:

hmm maybe in Japan is common for political person to bash each other?
so its already common sense, no need elaboration.
Aug 21, 2015 10:57 PM

Feb 2012
This episode had great Rori scenes!! :D
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Aug 21, 2015 11:22 PM

Aug 2012
glad that "little gir" was rekt. lmao
and ex-wife? lol what the?

But you'll still take damage!
Aug 21, 2015 11:23 PM
Jun 2013
drama_menck said:
Great episode, the plot changes from a serious moment for a moment comic quickly, I like this approach, several amazing things in the episode, as Itame's qualifications, the age of the girls, and know that Itame already was married, I am increasingly excited about the plot, I'm looking forward to the next episodes ..

Yes from serious to comedy and, possibly later, a love comedy where Itami gets a harem; I am curious who would be included, like maybe countess Myui or those female prisoners from Itarica. While Polygamy is illegal in Japan, we can imagine that is a different story in the special area.

greed2Aug 23, 2015 12:32 AM
Aug 21, 2015 11:29 PM

Aug 2008
salmon3669 said:
skudoops said:

If I were to look at the author's POV, it has something to do with his hate for Japanese politicians and how they always get in the way of the JDSF. I mean this woman is based off an actual politician that existed when he wrote this.

Interesting, did the author himself mention such thing in interview?
ZapredonAug 21, 2015 11:33 PM

Aug 21, 2015 11:53 PM
Jun 2013
our best girl vanished at ~10:21 during tukas interview D:

they were shown entering clearly and implied sitting there :S (we saw a glimpse when itami stood up to go to the pedestrial)

Aug 22, 2015 12:16 AM

Aug 2014
What can I say? This episode was wonderful. Nothing to criticize.

If Evangelion were Rokka no Yuusha the seventh would be Shinji.
Aug 22, 2015 12:26 AM

Oct 2010
SchwingBoner said:

Ahahaha. Rory vs that Diet woman was the best. The ''little girl'' got wrecked by best girl.

Wow, so Itami was married. I wonder if his being an otaku had anything to do with their break-up.

Doubt it. From the way she talks, I'm pretty sure she's a mangaka herself.
"People die when they are killed" - Emiya Shirou
Aug 22, 2015 12:51 AM
Nov 2012
As the intel guy is being taken away in the ambulance, he tells Itami to take everyone to the Ichigawa Assembly Hall. That's a strange destination.

Ichigawa Assembly Hall.

It's at JSDF headquarters, but it's more a museum than a working building. There are tours and a gift shop. It's famous because Yukio Mishima, in his nutty coup attempt in 1970, committed formal suicide there.

There's a message here, but I don't get it.
Aug 22, 2015 1:14 AM

Jul 2013
Oh God that tsundere Rory impression XD

That diet woman is so annoying!! I mean really, what's the point of putting down the soldiers when they are being watched by the president of US and China? trying to make your country look incompetent? stupid woman! Glad Rory put her in her place.

I'm surprised Itami still has a good relationship with his ex-wife. Why did they divorce in the first place?
Aug 22, 2015 1:59 AM

Jan 2014
entropy13 said:
Ugh, the poisoning of the knights is nigh.

Food poisoning?
MoeGod said:

I'm surprised Itami still has a good relationship with his ex-wife. Why did they divorce in the first place?
Railtracks said:
SchwingBoner said:

I have a feeling that was the reason for their marriage.

Me too. It looks like she's a much bigger Otaku than he is. I actually suspect the reason for the breakup was that either Itami was not enough of an Otaku for her, and was in the SDF (not being at home a lot), or the Otakuship turned out to be the only thing that bonded them.

Fiji said:
Also really like the part where they revealed the age. Rory=961, Tuka=165... and Lelei... I am 15 years old. Hahaha.

Am I the only one to have noted that Rory is thus almost at the end of her 'lifespan'? She has, give, or take, forty years left to go. I don't know how rigid/flexible the 1000 year mark is, I'm guessing 20 or 30 years more or less won't matter, but still.

Avenger-senpai said:
Rory best Goth Loli cougar :3

Best new anime trope of the year +1
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Aug 22, 2015 2:12 AM

Jun 2015

Rory pawned that Diet member's head with her answers. Awesome!
I wonder what kind of a person Itami's ex-wife is

Aug 22, 2015 2:38 AM

Jul 2009
walldotfm said:
I wonder what kind of a person Itami's ex-wife is
That's the big question everyone's making a fuss about. A large majority of replies include ex-wife on this topic so everyone's ecstatic to learn more about his ex-wife for sure. What kind of woman would marry someone like Itami? Clearly, she is into the anime/manga industry. From the clues given thus far, I conclude she's a hikikomori mangaka. The bills piling up and the way she lays around the house make her appear a hikikomori. How she speaks, the poster behind her computer, and the magazines/manga laying around her apartment appear to be fair evidence of being a mangaka.

Because I already concluded for myself that his ex-wife is likely a hiki-mangaka, I'm not interested in that angle much at all. I'm quite excited for the next episode for the real cliffhanger this episode left us with. The four girls (Rory, Tuka, Lelei, Shino[Soldier Girl]) plus the two empire girls(but not as much as the other four) left us with "EHHHH!?" before it immediately skipped to the ending theme. How will the react to Itami having an ex-wife as prospective partners for his love?

I can understand why people would dismiss Shino but it's important to keep in mind she's likely a military nut. All the prized positions she seems to dream of and revere, Itami seems to belong to. I can't get enough of her faces and reactions to him being a ranger and a special-op. Shino isn't as likely an option as Rory, Tuka, or Lelei, however she has been seen too much throughout the series to dismiss, excluding the first episode. Shino appears a more likely partner than the princess or noble as well.
Aug 22, 2015 2:50 AM

Dec 2013
It's amazing how good this show is, and how well they're adapting this arc.
Though I wished they put a bit more emphasis on the girls amazement when shopping around town, as well as more netizen reactions for when they were broadcasting the Senate assembly, but overall this episode still did the show justice.

I mean... it has to be if I can grab as many gifs for an SoL episode as for the Italica episode, no?

Itami? Rangers? Special Forces? Imposhibiruuuuu!!!!

Girls enjoying 500 yen Yoshinoya XD

The Tuka section

Rory

Bozes and Tomita... first signs of a new ship

And of course, Mangaka Risa (she looks way cuter in the anime)

Cannot wait until next week when we have a total free-for-all
HESTIAAPPROVES
Aug 22, 2015 3:18 AM

Jan 2015
あなたおばか lol
Aug 22, 2015 3:38 AM

Jan 2014
kyled00m said:

I can understand why people would dismiss Shino but it's important to keep in mind she's likely a military nut. All the prized positions she seems to dream of and revere, Itami seems to belong to. I can't get enough of her faces and reactions to him being a ranger and a special-op. Shino isn't as likely an option as Rory, Tuka, or Lelei, however she has been seen too much throughout the series to dismiss, excluding the first episode. Shino appears a more likely partner than the princess or noble as well.

We shouldn't forget about 'that medic girl whats-her-name-again either. She seems much more mature than Shino, and had a fair bit of screen time (with Itami) the first few episodes.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Aug 22, 2015 4:17 AM

Mar 2013
They made a mistake in this episode the goddess of the underworld Hardy is actually female rather than male, probably just a translation error.

Aug 22, 2015 4:25 AM

Jul 2009
Laionidas said:
We shouldn't forget about 'that medic girl whats-her-name-again either. She seems much more mature than Shino, and had a fair bit of screen time (with Itami) the first few episodes.
I respect the though of Mari Kurokawa(Medic) but she didn't seem all that interested in Itami. She did respect Itami's choices quite heavily, but at the same time she appeared to denounce him as an otaku as if it were a bad thing. If she is to become a wife-candidate, I believe she would need more airtime that doesn't include following him around as just-a-medic.

Shino's different; she is only around him because she is a soldier. The difference in role of a healer needed for mid/last-bosses and a easily replaceable DPS that isn't being replaced is quite a large gap. The positions she idolizes being shattered is no different than Rune Soldier's Louie shattering Priestess Melissa's image of a Hero.

More on Melissa [Rune Soldier]:
Aug 22, 2015 5:17 AM

Dec 2014
Wow, 900+ yrs old....
Loli Mercury. XD
I wonder what would have happened if Itami did not intervene... Hehehhehehe

Need more Tuka though... :)
Aug 22, 2015 5:32 AM
Dec 2013
L-Ryoshi said:

Cannot wait until next week when we have a total free-for-all

I don't think that will happen next episode yet, well I'm hoping it won't since they will skip a lot of the girl's R&R which I'm hoping to see.

I think the next episode would be;

Aug 22, 2015 5:50 AM

Apr 2012
Epic Rory is Epic.

Now on to the real topic.
I was completely flabbergasted at how well... quite pretty the diet member was.
She was a hag in the manga and i hated her guts, now i just feel sorry for her.

Some people going after the group well we all know who, no offense but lol.
But the real shocker to me was how FREAKING CUTE RISA is! my gosh i knew i was in for some surprises when the art was different but man it hit me like a wrecking ball.
That "what?" in English completed it for me. The MC girls ain't got nothing on her y'all. Sad I won't get to see her much.

Oh yeah nice ep 5/5.
The Art of Shipping is no mere game. It can be small skirmishes to huge nation size wars.
Of course some will claim their ship is the BATTLESHIP but they all do. This is why battles occur because of factions fighting each other to justify their favourite ship.
And thus SHIP to SHIP combat occurs almost anytime even now.
Beware, Threading into the Shipping battlefield will be bloody.... What are you waiting for?
Aug 22, 2015 6:12 AM

Sep 2009
It's funny that people trying to compare anime with manga. Not even with LN. I know it's hard to get it but a lot of things in the manga are more different from novel and LN than anime. Especially designs. For example, anime version of Shino is quite close to LN one while in manga she looks like some brute
Aug 22, 2015 6:28 AM

Dec 2010
...Plot twist he has a EX-WIFE !!!
Aug 22, 2015 6:33 AM

May 2014
Get rekt.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 22, 2015 6:34 AM

Jul 2012
Next episode's going to be very bloody
よろしく!
Aug 22, 2015 6:39 AM

Dec 2012
Rory totally destroyed the diet woman. When it happened, I was saying the same thing to my brother : "They don't kill 1/4 of the people, they saved 3/4". Rory was awesome, she is definitely the best girl.

Itami's ex-wife is also an otaku :).
Aug 22, 2015 6:54 AM

Dec 2012
I am not sure I like how the anime handles the comedy. It's not that the comedy is jarring or over the top, but I was expecting less comedy just like the earlier episodes. The more I watch this anime, the more I see the "true colour" of this show, which is not that good.
I am still confused why they permitted Rory to brought her humongous axe. Kind of weird. And speaking of Rory, I do not understand why do so many people like Rori? Is it because she's a gothic loli? Because as a character, she's pretty shallow & pretty much like every other gothic loli character. For me, the better characters so far are Pina & Tuka. Pina with her naivety and conflict with her father(or even her own kingdom), & Tuka with her PTSD & how she acts like her father is still alive.
I like anime.
Aug 22, 2015 6:58 AM
Aug 2008
Pat_To_Do-List said:
I am not sure I like how the anime handles the comedy. It's not that the comedy is jarring or over the top, but I was expecting less comedy just like the earlier episodes. The more I watch this anime, the more I see the "true colour" of this show, which is not that good.
I am still confused why they permitted Rory to brought her humongous axe. Kind of weird. And speaking of Rory, I do not understand why do so many people like Rori? Is it because she's a gothic loli? Because as a character, she's pretty shallow & pretty much like every other gothic loli character. For me, the better characters so far are Pina & Tuka. Pina with her naivety and conflict with her father(or even her own kingdom), & Tuka with her PTSD & how she acts like her father is still alive.

maybe because she cant be seperated with the huge ax?

there so many things that not shown and left to the viewer imagination. But currently i like it, its not overblown.

Destiny video game = overblown, too many stuff not shown to player
FF series (and metal gear depending how you play) = overblown, too many stuff told and shown to player
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2015

207 by GooseHybrid »»
Yesterday, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2015

186 by Shadized »»
Apr 14, 6:47 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2015

291 by Shadized »»
Apr 14, 10:24 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2015

283 by Myetx »»
Mar 30, 1:27 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2015

188 by Strahan »»
Mar 24, 6:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.