Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 11, 2015 10:54 PM

Apr 2013
Exactly as the topic title asks.
1. How open are you about your RL to others when you post online/play video games?
2. Does it vary based on which site you visit or what games you play?
3. Is there a limit to what you tell people, and if so, what is that limit?
4. Based on what you've revealed, how much do you think other MAL users know about you?

I'm relatively open about my RL, but I only reveal enough to the point where it could be something that applies to others aside from me. It varies depending on what games I play and where I post. I'm open on MAL and Jalopnik since I know them better than other online communities, but when it comes to games or other sites, I usually keep quiet.

The most I will tell people is stories from my life while omitting the identities of the people involved. I'm fairly certain that some people here on MAL know what I look like (thanks to the now-locked Selfie Thread), know random things about my life, and can probably pinpoint that I'm currently in college, live in the LA area, and come from a middle-class family based on what I've said.

What about you, the rest of MAL?
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Aug 11, 2015 10:57 PM

Jun 2015
1. How open are you about your RL to others when you post online/play video games?
I'm very open, AMA and I will answer as honestly as possible.

Somewhat, I wouldn't tell people in a cod lobby that I am likely bipolar and usually extremely depressed.

I don't give out my name, age, address, picture, or anything like that..

4. Based on what you've revealed, how much do you think other MAL users know about you?
I dunno, do people actually read my shit?
Aug 11, 2015 10:58 PM

Sep 2013
I'm very open, because I won't ever meet anyone from here in real life.
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Aug 11, 2015 11:02 PM
Jul 2018
1. Very closed.
2. I don't have any intention to leak my privacy.
3. Don't let your guard down when talking to strangers.
4. My name, age, race, address and ideology.
Aug 11, 2015 11:03 PM

Feb 2012
Anything social media (FB, insta etc.) - Quiet unless someone asks.
Game/Anime communities - Pretty sure anyone in a Maplestory private server that I used to play can tell you my life story, So I'm an open person on private forums if you're willing to chat with me.
Aug 11, 2015 11:07 PM

Dec 2012

1. Very reserved.
2. Not really.
3. Depends, I won't tell a thing to a random person I just met. Not even my nationality. Closer people may know more about me over time.
4. Don't really care. But I suppose very little.

Mainly because the internet isn't a place that was made to act just like you would IRL. This is a place where anonymity is a thing, where you say what you really think, where you are just another username. However, it seems that people want to change this, just like they're slowly degenerating games in casual fests with brainless mechanics to cater to this hopeless generation.

I won't take part in that. The notion of going around revealing personal info in social networks sickens me.
InfatuateAug 11, 2015 11:10 PM

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Aug 11, 2015 11:13 PM

Apr 2013
Infatuate said:
I won't take part in that. The notion of going around revealing personal info in social networks sickens me.

I'm Asian. Find a picture of an Asian and I probably look like that.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Aug 11, 2015 11:15 PM

Sep 2013
iSheep said:
Infatuate said:

Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Aug 11, 2015 11:17 PM

Feb 2012
yes it has a limit on what i say
Aug 11, 2015 11:26 PM

May 2014
> I'm much open when talking one-on-one to a friend. Games, nah it's rare to find some serious people there. They're are like "mate, where to farm this item" "need to grind, what dun gives big exp" "I will leach for a while" "Imma help newbies" lol. But there are some people I can talk to, but could not really engage in deep conversation. It's a lot different on a forum and profile commenting.

> Yeah it does varies.

> I don't limit. When I'm problematic, I just have to release it. I've talked to some of my friends here about some personal stuff, I really appreciate them bear with me. I hope I'm not disturbing them though. You folks know who you are, I'm sorry for the trouble I caused. T____T And also, thank you!

> Lol, I don't know about that. Maybe about a 10% of me, I guess.
violityAug 11, 2015 11:58 PM
Aug 11, 2015 11:27 PM

Apr 2013
Shiratori99 said:
iSheep said:

You flatter me, I'm not that handsome.
Aug 11, 2015 11:27 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I'm open about trivial stuff, but I don't want people to actually know me, so don't get too close.
Aug 11, 2015 11:28 PM

Apr 2013
BatoKusanagi said:
I'm open about trivial stuff, but I don't want people to actually know me, so don't get too close.

Oh. Sorry, man. *slowly inches away*
Aug 11, 2015 11:43 PM

Oct 2012
People know my name, gender, location, birthday, and that's probably about it in regards to personal info.

I don't give anything else away.
Aug 11, 2015 11:51 PM
Mar 2011
i am me i am myself
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 12, 2015 1:16 AM
Jul 2018

I don't play online games. Online, MAL is the only community that can qualify because I am a regular. I am not open about my life with others in real life, but in MAL that's a different story. To this day you're all just avatars to me. If someone ever felt like knowing more, I am not opposed to sharing. Within reason.

That's right. I don't mind sharing in MAL specifically, because I've come to know in general some users and can recognize many forum goers even if I've never talked one on one with them.

That would really depend on the question hehe. I think I am open to most reasonable questions, as long as it's not about my health.

Hm..most users probably don't know me, even when I've posted regularly for almost a year. They probably can identify me as that guy who has a passionate love for Plastic Memories though. Perhaps also as a bit of a downer when posting in general on the forums. I like to think I am a nice guy though, the people that come to me never had a complaint.

I'm just your average user.
Aug 12, 2015 1:23 AM

Jul 2012
I don't see a reason to lie about the things I tell because I don't plan on meeting anyone IRL.
Aug 12, 2015 1:26 AM

Apr 2013
Psycaloria said:
I don't see a reason to lie about the things I tell because I don't plan on meeting anyone IRL.

It's not about lying, it's just whether or not you're open or keep to yourself about certain things.
Aug 12, 2015 1:29 AM

Apr 2012

I'm open.

Yes, it actually depends, I don't bring shit up that has nothing to do with whatever it's being said. MAL has that problem of talking about everything that can encompass one's life though...

The limit is bank accounts, credit cards, addresses with ways of coming here, real name, etc.

Otherwise, you can know many things about me.

Oh, I won't tell you that...

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Aug 12, 2015 1:30 AM

Apr 2014
Someone should be an alpha and post real facts about themselves in this thread.
Aug 12, 2015 1:38 AM

Apr 2012
Protaku94 said:
Someone should be an alpha and post real facts about themselves in this thread.
I'm a pedophile and I had fun in Romania with some lolis.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Aug 12, 2015 2:01 AM

Feb 2015
1. Not that open, but mostly because there's often little reason to go into detail about real life stuff with people on the internet.
2. Depends more on the people I talk to rather than what place I am using.
3. Sure, my second name, address and phone number. If only because they have no use for it, anyway.
4. I doubt many people read or remember what I post, so, not much I think.
Aug 12, 2015 2:16 AM

Jan 2013
To certain people only. I wouldnt go and brag about my RL issues everywhere in the internet
Aug 12, 2015 2:24 AM

Aug 2014
Hmm... I'm open to say anything regarding what they ask me. I shouldn't forget to say that I don't really play online games and when there was a time I did that, I was pretty reserved.

Yes, but I don't visit too many sites so it doesn't vary too much.

Personal information like my adress, name and shit like that. I also don't try to speak of any bigger problems that I may have.

Do people actually read my shit?
Aug 12, 2015 2:33 AM

Mar 2015
1. Depends, if I'm asked I might give some details, not like my social security number o anything, but I think I'm faily open. I don't just talk about myself out of nowehee though.

2. Yeah, if it's a more private conversation with online friends or a bunch of people that seem somewhat nice and mature, I'll probably be moe open.

3. Personal information, adress, social security number, that kind of stuff.

4. Not a whole lot. Not sure if people read half of my posts.
Aug 12, 2015 8:05 AM

Jun 2014
iSheep said:

1. I'm kinda open on a casual basis. Like you'll eventually learn my real first name and stuff like where do I study, but my surname won't be known to you ever unless we meet IRL.
2. Yes, the site and the people are a factor.
3. The limit is when I know I'll be screwed later down the road because of me giving out that piece of info to a person who turns out to be of bad character aka not trustworthy.
4. They can just talk to me and read my profile so it's a case-to-case basis.
Aug 12, 2015 8:07 AM

Jan 2015
I try to be as dishonest as possible. Too many anon fags want to docx me. People are evil.
Aug 12, 2015 8:10 AM

Jun 2014
1. Yes, I'm fairly open to others about myself online. I don't play video games anymore though.

2. I'm only on this site, and again, I don't play video games.

3. I don't typically keep too much from people, except for a couple of tiny things.

4. MAL users know a lot about me, although there are probably some things I just haven't got around to mentioning. It all depends on what the topic is.

I have one question: Why do questions 1 & 2 mention video games? What do they have to do with anything?

Aug 12, 2015 8:13 AM

Jan 2015
Probably you will not know
I dnt even update my Social Networking profiles
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Aug 12, 2015 8:15 AM

May 2009
I post about my life on Facebook because I set it to friends only. Other websites if they have a blog/journal section then I will post my rants about my work days and things that annoy me. I use to do it up here some years back but I really prefer Facebook for my rants.
Aug 12, 2015 8:15 AM

Mar 2014

I don't play multiplayer video games. As for how open I am, I guess I am pretty open. I've already told my rl name to many people on here. But it really depends on the person I'm talking to. If you're willing to share, then I'm willing to share.

I guess, it does. But it depends more on the 'community'. If the community wants to know me, then I will let them know me.

There's no limit. I'd tell everything about me. Don't see the point of not telling everything.

They know nothing. If some 'facts' about you, such as your name, address and your pics, are enough for others to understand you, then you must be a robot, not a human.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Aug 12, 2015 8:17 AM

Jan 2015
Karadzic said:
Probably you will not know
I dnt even update my Social Networking profiles

Aug 12, 2015 8:55 AM
Feb 2014
FahtahSensei said:
I try to be as dishonest as possible. Too many anon fags want to docx me. People are evil.

This
Aug 12, 2015 9:55 AM

Dec 2012
I'm open enough; I don't share things that are personal.
Aug 12, 2015 9:58 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Depends on who I'm talking to. If it's someone I've become fairly good internet friends with then I might be willing to talk more about myself IRL

I guess?

Not really, though I'd like to avoid the opposite (I.E: I won't tell my RL friends everything I do online)

Well I'm very open-minded so a fair amount I guess. Though I rarely talk about my personal life specifically because it really isn't that interesting anyway :s
Aug 12, 2015 10:07 AM

Aug 2013
I am by nature a private person, but I think that I'm actually more open on the Internet than I am in person.

I don't play online video games. When it comes to forums like MAL, I don't mind sharing stuff that I would have shared with strangers in person as well, such as interests, thoughts, opinions, and other random stuff. I always keep people at a certain distance though, unless they're my friend.

Not really.

Besides sensitive personal information, I don't share my real thoughts and feelings with anyone but the ones closest to me. I have no intentions of sharing my own emotions and my more personal introspective musings with a bunch of strangers. You'd have to be a close friend if you ever want to learn more about me.

Most people here don't really know anything about me.
Aug 12, 2015 11:12 AM

Apr 2013
Hachiko75 said:
I post about my life on Facebook because I set it to friends only. Other websites if they have a blog/journal section then I will post my rants about my work days and things that annoy me. I use to do it up here some years back but I really prefer Facebook for my rants.

I hate ranting on Facebook. Well, I don't want to rant on Facebook because that's where potential employers can associate any negative statements/actions with your name, which means the difference between a job offer and a rejection.

There's kind of a paradox there. I don't reveal much on Facebook because that's what everyone sees and what everyone can associate with me. A site like MAL, it's a bit more anonymous so I care a lot less and I can be a lot more open, despite my actual name not being associated with it.
Aug 12, 2015 11:15 AM

Sep 2013
I don't go out of my way to share every detail about myself, but I would answer any direct questions honestly. I am not ashamed of anything, nothing about me is worth hiding
Aug 12, 2015 11:23 AM

May 2013
I'd say I am very open, there are only very few things I wouldn't share. Kinda depends on who I am talking to though.
Aug 12, 2015 11:40 AM
May 2014
I'm open to a limit. It's enough for them to know the main things about me such as my name, age.. everything else should be pointless talk. Not like i'd ever meet any of them in rl anyways, lol.
Aug 12, 2015 11:57 AM
May 2015
Varies.

Yes

Within reason, no. I wouldn't reveal really personal stuff publicly or to people I didn't know well enough to trust. It depends who I'm talking to, where, what it's about etc. most stuff that comes up online that's said publicly is fairly banal.

Very little
Shameless plugging a review site I help out with: http://www.almostmainstream.net
Aug 12, 2015 12:22 PM

May 2009
iSheep said:
Hachiko75 said:

I hate ranting on Facebook. Well, I don't want to rant on Facebook because that's where potential employers can associate any negative statements/actions with your name, which means the difference between a job offer and a rejection.

There's kind of a paradox there. I don't reveal much on Facebook because that's what everyone sees and what everyone can associate with me. A site like MAL, it's a bit more anonymous so I care a lot less and I can be a lot more open, despite my actual name not being associated with it.

I don't use my real name on FB or anywhere on the net except my professional email. And like I said everything is set to friends.
Aug 12, 2015 1:04 PM

Apr 2013
Hachiko75 said:
iSheep said:

I don't use my real name on FB or anywhere on the net except my professional email. And like I said everything is set to friends.

Hmm, didn't know that. :P
Aug 12, 2015 1:11 PM

May 2014
People IRL forget awkward shit you may tell them

But the internet never forgets

I'll just leave it at that.
Aug 12, 2015 1:28 PM

Jun 2011
Ask me and I'll answer as long as we've had a few conversations beforehand. Of course, I will not give away every detail like important personal information and I tend to keep my emotions hidden unless we're close enough as I don't want to drag others into my problems.

Aug 12, 2015 1:49 PM
Jul 2018
I'm willing to discuss any facet of my life openly with anyone who's interested. Nothing and Starchaser means NOTHING (that's my Rock impersonation) is off limits!

More topics from this board

» How are your cooking skills

ST63LTH - Yesterday

17 by Gator »»
13 minutes ago

» Have you ever been falsely accused of anything?

Ejrodiew - May 1

18 by Serafos »»
32 minutes ago

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

41 by Spunkert »»
1 hour ago

» Would you consider becoming a vegatarain, maybe Vegan ? ( 1 2 )

SyrupPastryNice - Apr 10

73 by joseifan »»
1 hour ago

» What is the proper way to wipe your ass?

vasipi4946 - Apr 28

12 by DreamWindow »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.