Forum Settings
Forums

New Sunrise Series 'Mobile Suit Gundam: Tekketsu no Orphans' to Premiere for Fall 2015

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 15, 2015 5:00 AM

Mar 2013
Looks like it could be pretty decent but only time will, should definitely be better than g reco thats for sure.
Jul 15, 2015 5:02 AM

Nov 2014
tfw l had hope for a good new gundam ;(
kill yourself
Jul 15, 2015 5:06 AM

Nov 2013
Will this series be a stand-alone show or watching the previous Gundams is required?
Jul 15, 2015 5:23 AM
May 2013
edge13 said:
Barbatos...wait isn't there already a Gundam named Barbatos before?
http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/GGV-000_Barbatos

Thought so too but at the end of the Technology & Combat Characteristics it says...

"Despite having a Gundam-like Design, the Barbatos is not considered a Gundam at all."

Also, this isn't the first time that a mobile suit has a same name.

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/ZGMF-X10A_Freedom_Gundam
http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/GF7-023NA_Gundam_Freedom
http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/RGM-196_Freedom
Jul 15, 2015 5:28 AM

Apr 2013
eraldo-dono said:
Will this series be a stand-alone show or watching the previous Gundams is required?

stand alone
Jul 15, 2015 6:08 AM
May 2007
I find the character designs to my liking. He should get the Koyasu voice.
Jul 15, 2015 6:12 AM

Jan 2014
After the gigantic craps that were G no Reconquista (dont care if i spelled that wrong, it means absolutely nothing to me) and Gundam AGE, this looks insanely promising.

Love the darker style its going for, the score in the trailer is amazing, character designs are really good and above all else, that Gundam looks absolutely badass. This is an absolute watch... fall is getting awfully stuffed, anyone else notice the past few seasons getting insanely bloated?
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Jul 15, 2015 7:07 AM
Jul 2014
battosai-01 said:
The best Gundams have always been the OVA's in my opinion. 08th MS team, War in the Pocket and more recently Unicorn and Gundam the Origin. Of course the original Gundam and Zeta are great too. I've yet to see Turn A Gundam yet, but I've heard it's quite good. The Gundam T.V series coming out nowadays are nothing more than over glorified commercials to buy the model kits. I doubt this newest one is going to change this, especially considering Okada is the writer. She is in no way equipped to handle the type of drama and politics that come with the Gundam franchise. These are not cute little high school kids, these are war-hardened soldiers. This is not a mild highschool melodrama with love triangles and touchy-feely-emotions this is war and politics and death and destruction. I doubt she can properly encapsulate any of this and it's just going to turn into a giant mess. Even in the trailer I'm getting hints of this. It looks like fujoshi-bait where all the pilots are half dressed driving around these robots and moaning. At least wear a helmet. There's no way this is going to be at all serious and if it tries it's going to blow up in their face. The only type of value I see myself getting out of it is unintentional comedic value.

What a shitty opinion especially given how terrible 08th Team, 0083 and Unicorn were.

ThrashMatto said:
After the gigantic craps that were G no Reconquista (dont care if i spelled that wrong, it means absolutely nothing to me) and Gundam AGE, this looks insanely promising.

Love the darker style its going for, the score in the trailer is amazing, character designs are really good and above all else, that Gundam looks absolutely badass. This is an absolute watch... fall is getting awfully stuffed, anyone else notice the past few seasons getting insanely bloated?

Yes, yes it's quite clear this will be liked by the retards who didn't give G-Reco the time of day regardless of how it turns out. The comments so far has made that quite clear.

iKoyy said:
Well that's it I'm officially very sad.

I discovered Gundam with Wings when it was aired on french TV. Liked it quite a bit but then I discovered Gundam Seed and I was blown away and led to expect great things of this franchise.

Since then I watched a lot of different Gundam hoping to see something on par with Gundam Seed but I have never found something like that. I absolutely adored Gundam 00 though which was quite serious and had and amazing art style. The drawing and animation was top notch.

But since 2009 every single Gundam that was aired was a total let down, poor stories, atrociously annoying characters (what ? who said reconguista ? oh everyone...). I was so hyped at the announcement of the announcement 2 weeks ago...

Now that we saw the cast I have lost all hope for this one.

Please can someone do a proper mech anime again ? Something like Macross or old Gundams....or even Code Geass who was a lot more character centric than mechs but still had them.

Almost ironic how people are complaining about the quality of the franchise and yet are asking for more garbage like SEED.
Devil_FoodJul 15, 2015 7:12 AM
Jul 15, 2015 8:32 AM

Jul 2010
Maor said:
Eww Maria anyway it probably wont suck as much as Origin #1 did

I dont see any girls and I would totally be in for male drama and those designs look a lot better than in the preview

What are you talking about, there was 2 girls in the trailer.
Jul 15, 2015 8:33 AM

Mar 2010
Looks good, but i am not digging appearance of the guy with Asemu's hairstyle.
NoBleachNoLifeJul 15, 2015 8:37 AM
Do pop-up headlights really endanger pedestrians that much?
Jul 15, 2015 8:35 AM

Jul 2012
10th_man_down said:
Maor said:

I dont see any girls and I would totally be in for male drama and those designs look a lot better than in the preview

I was talking about the main cast which are http://i.imgur.com/RuDYjDv.jpg
הלב שלי כבר מת
Jul 15, 2015 8:38 AM

Sep 2011
cupc said:
Yeah I don't know what to think. Having a romcom girl write the script and a SoL director direct it just feels wrong. Plus knowing Okada wrote M3... Honestly wondering didn't they get any more fitting people on board the project or something

that said, the trailer looks quite hype. if it's anything to go by there's nothing to worry about
the trailer(and really the premise cause I loved X and this basically sounds like it) is indeed the glimmer of hope im having, I am fully willing to be proven wrong here cause who knows fuck it maybe this director really can do great in a war story, I mean his only works so far are adaptions so maybe it'll actually do good in this setting.

I know it sounds like im grasping at straws here, cause I am, but as pessimistic as i am about this project i dont think its ENTIRELY fuck. Very likely yes but not 100%.

Maor said:
10th_man_down said:

I was talking about the main cast which are http://i.imgur.com/RuDYjDv.jpg
Thats not the main cast, thats just the soldiers, the relena looking girl is probably going to be important as hell

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 15, 2015 8:42 AM

Jul 2012
NotJizzyHitler said:
Thats not the main cast, thats just the soldiers, the relena looking girl is probably going to be important as hell

Don't crush all my hopes i still expect it to be somewhat decent

actually lets just hope its going to be train wreck that doesnt take itself too serious these type of sunrise shows are more enjoyable anyway
הלב שלי כבר מת
Jul 15, 2015 8:53 AM

Sep 2013
"orphans"

I can smell the FEELS and melodrama already :'(
Jul 15, 2015 9:24 AM

Aug 2014
Still apathetic on Barbatos' design. Hard to see it as a completed suit with those internals exposed, though it looks like it may still get some armor upgrades.

Mechanical Design: Naohiro Washio, Kanetake Ebikawa, Ippei Gyobu, Kenji Teraoka, Tamotsu Shinohara

Ebikawa and Naohiro involved, as expected. Aldnoah designs weren't bad either. I've only ever seen Shinohara's organic designs. Don't know who Ippei Gyobu is or what work he has done. From the looks of the Gunpla reveals, some of the upcoming suits are pretty nice.

That drama cast though. Could be interesting.
QuattroVaginasJul 15, 2015 9:41 AM
Sieg Zeon!
Jul 15, 2015 9:31 AM
Nov 2012
Maor said:

You're right, this will probably be worse.
prtorpedoJul 15, 2015 9:37 AM
Jul 15, 2015 10:47 AM

Jul 2015
What kind of buffoon allowed some pleb like Maria to compose a gundam series?

This cannot be real.
Jul 15, 2015 10:47 AM
May 2013
BatoKusanagi said:
Am I the only one who doesn't Mari Okada here? I think she's fine.
Anyway, the premise sounds good; Ryvius-esque with the kids taking matters into their own hands.

Loli-Sazanami said:

The mecha design looks kinda weird to me.

They're actually pretty average for Gundam. Weird mecha designs was G-reco and Turn A.

If you're wondering if you're the only person who doesn't hate Mari Okada, you are not alone. I actually think she's quite excellent. Combine her with Gundam and I am quite intrigued. I hope it turns out well.

AND music by the person involved in Shigatsu?! Yesssssss!
HahalollawlJul 15, 2015 10:52 AM
Jul 15, 2015 10:53 AM

Mar 2009
I don't like gundam series with mostly male characters too easily...... I hope there's more than the one female character, that I saw, in the series. I love animes with characters I can easily understand or relate with. That being said, I relate better with characters of my own gender...... So, that one female character better really be prominent or there better be a few likable female characters in the story.... And less annoying male characters.
Though, that didn't help me with G Reco....... That was.... Just.... MEH.
Not that I could watch more than one episode (that animation style..... seriously .).....
So, I don't know if it got better.... Judging by what I've heard, though, it might not have been.
So, I'm hoping that they make a new series for Gundam, that I can get into.
Jul 15, 2015 10:58 AM

Oct 2007
windeen-windy said:
I don't like gundam series with mostly male characters too easily...... I hope there's more than the one female character, that I saw, in the series. I love animes with characters I can easily understand or relate with. That being said, I relate better with characters of my own gender...... So, that one female character better really be prominent or there better be a few likable female characters in the story.... And less annoying male characters.
Not that I could watch more than one episode (that animation style..... seriously .).....
So, I don't know if it got better.... Judging by what I've heard, though, it might not have been.

I've never seen a Gundam series have only 1 female character really, though at times it felt like AGE could come really close. Even the supposedly sausage fest ones like Wing and 00 you had characters like Noin, Hilde, Relena, Dorothy, Une, Sally and Sumeragi, Soma, Marina, Nena, Wang, Katie all playing various and different kinds of roles in the story so I wouldn't worry about just seeing the one girl only in the PV.

So Sunrise sends the Love Live Staff (primarily focused on cute girls shows) to work on Gate at A-1 and A-1 sends the Ano Hana/Shigatsu staff (primarily focused on melodrama) to work at Sunrise this stretch. Between that and Anime Consortium Japan I'll have to reconcile the fact that one of my favorite studios and one of my least favorite are pretty much confirmed to be affiliated now the same way Sunrise is with Bones and I.G. Not sure how I feel about that, but consider A-1 is a spinoff of Sunrise and keeps shilling for Bandai Namco products like Tales of and Digimon in their shows about as much as their own I can't say I'm surprised. Not that these people aren't just freelance but it's clear somebody is sending word and sharing connections between the two companies, probably Masuo Ueda and Kenji Uchida.
PeacingOutJul 15, 2015 11:03 AM
Jul 15, 2015 11:03 AM

Aug 2014
Every anime that this Okada chick is involved is always about the main characters, who are always 16 and younger, are hating on adults. In the anime that she is involved, adults are the worst things that happen to the universe.

Asukara

AnoHana

My gosh.
Jul 15, 2015 11:04 AM

Aug 2014
ooo333 said:
Every anime that this Okada chick is involved is always about the main characters, who are always 16 and younger, are hating on adults. In the anime that she is involved, adults are the worst things that happen to the universe.

Perfect for Gundam.
Sieg Zeon!
Jul 15, 2015 11:05 AM

Oct 2007
ooo333 said:

Asukara

AnoHana

My gosh.

Gundam hasn't exactly taken the most favorable of looks on prior generations either, often accusing them of getting the kids involved in wars to fight their battles for them while doing little to prevent the latest escalations like say a Zeon insurrection. Even Bright Noa in ZZ Gundam on is more or less like "wow we suck and let you guys down, we're sorry".
Jul 15, 2015 11:08 AM

Mar 2009
NotJizzyHitler said:

I should hope that's not the main cast. They all look boring as hell. At least she looks interesting.
Jul 15, 2015 11:15 AM

Sep 2011
ooo333 said:
who are always 16 and younger, are hating on adults. In the anime that she is involved, adults are the worst things that happen to the universe.
Thats literally amuro in a nutshell, calling out how retarded the higher ups and adults were handling the war, pretty sure kammille and judau both complained about this alot too.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 15, 2015 11:18 AM

Mar 2009
Kaioshin_Sama said:
windeen-windy said:

I've never seen a Gundam series have only 1 female character really, though at times it felt like AGE could come really close. Even the supposedly sausage fest ones like Wing and 00 you had characters like Noin, Hilde, Relena, Dorothy, Une, Sally and Sumeragi, Soma, Marina, Nena, Wang, Katie all playing various and different kinds of roles in the story so I wouldn't worry about just seeing the one girl only in the PV.

Funny.... Your the only person that I've heard, that referred to G. Wing and 00 as "sausage fests"...... Generally I keep hearing how "girl ridden" (usually, G Seed as well, is referred to, in this manner), how gay they are and so on and so fourth..... And those are my 3 top favorite gundam series.
You are right, that Gundam age came close.
Jul 15, 2015 11:24 AM

Oct 2010
Just because of the hyper-incendiary plot synopsis, I am intrigued to see where this will lead. Lmao children launching a coup de'tat against adults. This one will put Gundam Wing to shame.
Jul 15, 2015 11:47 AM

Oct 2013
Chillingflames said:
Don't forget G Gundam:
Really, Sunrise?

Dutch model?

NotJizzyHitler said:
Thats literally amuro in a nutshell, calling out how retarded the higher ups and adults were handling the war, pretty sure kammille and judau both complained about this alot too.

Yes they did including the nearly complete insubordination to any persons in charge. And the consequences for that were simply ridiculous... A firing squad would have been the right choice. And with Judau the awful thing was that he had a big entourage of "kids" with the same views. One of these kind of guys, clearly unfit for the military, is more than enough...
Jul 15, 2015 11:58 AM

Jun 2013
As stated many times on the other thread, Okada is a horrible choice for Gundam, and Nagai isn't much better, but I will stay foolishly optimistic because that's how I am.
Jul 15, 2015 12:00 PM

Dec 2013
I don't understand the exaggerated hate over here. There are plenty of directors that had both god awful and masterpiece works, not sure why this can't be the case ( to my mind comes Uezu Makoto for example ). Sure, the staff could be much much better but it's not like Anohana and Toradora were so bad to start whining so much. Plus the leaning towards melodrama could work out in this instance ( if done tastefully if course ). As mentioned, Gundam is about war, and war tends to be painful and I'm not sure Tomino is the guy that captured the feel of it ( it's a question if he managed to capture anything aside from creating the base Gundam concept ). I dunno, it's more likely that this will suck than it being very good but still the amounts of brainless posts from the same people is a bit stupid.
Jul 15, 2015 12:02 PM

Sep 2011
ex_necross said:
As stated many times on the other thread, Okada is a horrible choice for Gundam, and Nagai isn't much better, but I will stay foolishly optimistic because that's how I am.
I really have been thinking about nagai and about giving him the benefit of the doubt, he hasnt actually made a show like this in the slightest and for all we know he could be better suited for that, and really even if i disliked toradora and am not too positive on(but dont dislike) anohana i cant really say he was bad at directing them

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jul 15, 2015 12:09 PM

Jun 2013
NotJizzyHitler said:
ex_necross said:
I really have been thinking about nagai and about giving him the benefit of the doubt, he hasnt actually made a show like this in the slightest and for all we know he could be better suited for that, and really even if i disliked toradora and am not too positive on(but dont dislike) anohana i cant really say he was bad at directing them

You can't really hire someone who has little-to-no experience and say "well they could be good, we don't know yet" for a high-profile show like Gundam. Plus, the MC looking just like http://myanimelist.net/character/40591/Jinta_Yadomi from Ano Hana really isn't making me feel any better.

Knowing these two, we are going to get a melodrama heavy fujoshi pandering show, but even those 2 things I can forgive as long as the "Gundam" (politics, war, mecha porn) are done right. Unfortunately there is nothing that suggests they will get that part right either.
Jul 15, 2015 12:20 PM

Sep 2011
ex_necross said:
NotJizzyHitler said:

You can't really hire someone who has little-to-no experience and say "well they could be good, we don't know yet" for a high-profile show like Gundam. Plus, the MC looking just like http://myanimelist.net/character/40591/Jinta_Yadomi from Ano Hana really isn't making me feel any better.

Knowing these two, we are going to get a melodrama heavy fujoshi pandering show, but even those 2 things I can forgive as long as the "Gundam" (politics, war, mecha porn) are done right. Unfortunately there is nothing that suggests they will get that part right either.
The guy who did war in the pocket didnt have any war stories under his belt, war in the pocket's director while having experience with action shows had a bunch of duds under his belt and no mecha when he did unicorn, shinji takamatsu is a slapstick comedy director and he still made gundam X.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jul 15, 2015 12:24 PM

Jun 2013
NotJizzyHitler said:
ex_necross said:

The guy who did war in the pocket didnt have any war stories under his belt, war in the pocket's director while having experience with action shows had a bunch of duds under his belt and no mecha when he did unicorn, shinji takamatsu is a slapstick comedy director and he still made gundam X.

Well like I said I'll stay foolishly optimistic, as hard as having SOL and girly Rom-Com specialists working on Gundam makes it.
Jul 15, 2015 12:24 PM

Sep 2011
Trailer looks good, although I don't like the character design for the lead at all. Would have preferred the big guy that looks like Guts or the fat kid as lead.

Just read the synopsis, kid isn't the lead but another character. Never mind, maybe this will be better than I expect.

Also, what's up with Sunrise and their obsession with Spanish Guitar lately lol. Not a complain, I love Spanish Guitar but just seems really random.
FullmetalRaikouJul 15, 2015 12:28 PM
Jul 15, 2015 12:43 PM

Oct 2007
windeen-windy said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Funny.... Your the only person that I've heard, that referred to G. Wing and 00 as "sausage fests"...... Generally I keep hearing how "girl ridden" (usually, G Seed as well, is referred to, in this manner), how gay they are and so on and so fourth..... And those are my 3 top favorite gundam series.

Don't take it the wrong way, I'm just saying how people seem to see it. You know the whole 00 is a remake of Wing silliness because there was a team of Male pilots in Gundams, though they were eventually joined by Soma Peries to round things out even if she never got a real Gundam. Sadly unless you count the nigh invincible Aila Jyrkianen in Build Fighters whose never actually been in a real battle cause her series is a sports one she's kind of the last good female mecha pilot in Gundam since Aida and the AGE cast pretty much sucked. Well okay there was that Fram Nara who made to turn one of the girliest looking mobile suit designs into a pretty lethal weapon, but she had kind of a stupid death.

If you ask me this is a play to try to establish Gundam's cred with the new generation fans brought up on Visual Novel type stuff, particularly of the Nakige (crying game) variety since a lot of recent hits with younger anime fans in Japan have featured really melodramatic storylines kind of designed to make you cry. This staff has a pedigree for that sort of thing, this is what that tells me. Fortunately Gundam can be bent in almost any direction to fit just about any sort of theme or motif, doesn't necessarily mean it'll be good though.
PeacingOutJul 15, 2015 12:47 PM
Jul 15, 2015 12:47 PM

Jun 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Don't take it the wrong way, I'm just saying how people seem to see it. You know the whole 00 is a remake of Wing silliness because there was a team of Male pilots in Gundams, though they were eventually joined by Soma Peries to round things out even if she never got a real Gundam. Sadly unless you count the nigh invincible Aila Jyrkianen in Build Fighters whose never actually been in a real battle cause her series is a sports one she's kind of the last good female mecha pilot in Gundam since Aida and the AGE cast pretty much sucked. Well okay there was that Fram Nara who made to turn one of the girliest looking mobile suit designs into a pretty lethal weapon, but she had kind of a stupid death.

What are your thoughts on this series though? How do you feel about the SOL and Rom-com writers working on it?
Jul 15, 2015 1:32 PM

Mar 2009
Kaioshin_Sama said:
windeen-windy said:

If you ask me this is a play to try to establish Gundam's cred with the new generation fans brought up on Visual Novel type stuff, particularly of the Nakige (crying game) variety since a lot of recent hits with younger anime fans in Japan have featured really melodramatic storylines kind of designed to make you cry. This staff has a pedigree for that sort of thing, this is what that tells me. Fortunately Gundam can be bent in almost any direction to fit just about any sort of theme or motif, doesn't necessarily mean it'll be good though.

I didn't take what you said about them in a negative way. Actually, I've heard so many people call them negative things, for so long, that I was happy to hear you not refer to them as such.
I agree to most of what you just said, as well. Though..... I don't know those other female characters that you mentioned, other than Soma...... I'm Sorry.

However, in Gundam wing, there were a number of female pilots, yeah, they weren't Gundam Pilots (unless you consider
in the Gundam Wing manga- called: Gundam Wing - Episode Zero).
So, between Gundam Wing and 00.... Soma (I loved her character BTW) wasn't the only female pilot (whether they were good female pilot characters or not, I suppose, is dependant upon the opinions of each person)...... Not counting that crazy blond one in 00 (sorry, can't remember her name)- who lost her arm.
Anyway, my point was, there were a number of female pilots in G Wing. Noin, Lady Une, Mieran, Hildie, Sally.... Though.... I'm a bit distracted.... So I may have missed your point? Mine was, if they thought that it differed from GWing because of Soma, then they weren't exactly correct.
Jul 15, 2015 1:51 PM

Sep 2010
NoBleachNoLife said:
Looks good, but i am not digging appearance of the guy with Asemu's hairstyle.

He literally looks like what could have happened if Zehart and Asemu hooked up instead of Asemu and Romary.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jul 15, 2015 3:52 PM

Mar 2009
ex_necross said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

What are your thoughts on this series though? How do you feel about the SOL and Rom-com writers working on it?

They deserve a chance. It might not suck......
windeen-windyJul 15, 2015 3:56 PM
Jul 15, 2015 4:54 PM

Oct 2007
ex_necross said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Little nervous, but I think I've stated my theories on why I think they are there for better or worse. Unlike most people I've been generally positive about pretty much every Gundam so far this decade aside from AGE and even that I don't think is an atrocious show, just the most mediocre in the end. Not every Gundam series has to be perfect, merely good overall. Still to this day the only really bad Gundam series IMO has been Gundam Seed Destiny with all it's distractions and shipping bullshit. Admittedly that would be my main concern would be that Okada would get distracted with that sort of stuff she's more familiar with and we'd end up with a war story that fails to be a war story like Seed with it's endless stock footage episodes and again just stupid shipping/shore leave shit that seemed unending for episodes on end. Only time I ever found myself skipping through large chunks of episodes just to get to the end.
PeacingOutJul 15, 2015 4:58 PM
Jul 15, 2015 4:57 PM
Dec 2014
this may seam off topic but http://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view Accel World and Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere still sold more then Gundam reconguista in g or cross ange this proves YET AGAIN adaption sell more then in house works I wonder if sunrise has notice this yet
Jul 15, 2015 5:03 PM

Oct 2007
lord23 said:
this may seam off topic but http://www.someanithing.com/series-data-quick-view Accel World and Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere still sold more then Gundam reconguista in g or cross ange this proves YET AGAIN adaption sell more then in house works I wonder if sunrise has notice this yet

Gundam makes the vast majority of it's revenue not through disc media but merchandise and overall multimedia. That's why it's the 70 billion yen a year enterprise that it is and will continue indefinitely regardless of disc sales. If people think that disc sales are the primary concern with series like Gundam Build Fighters I'd say think again. When Bandai itself labels G-Reco a success that also says it all.

Sunrise is also not primarily an adaptation studio, they push originals that can be also be mass marketed by it's parent companies infrastructure. This also isn't going to change anytime soon as there's little benefit to them for adaptations like Accel World and Horizon on The Middle of Nowhere outside of disc sales which are a pretty small piece of the pie. I mean yeah they get included in the Sunrise Crusade TCG and there's the game adaptations but that's about the extent of the benefit since they don't own the licenses and gain nothing from light novel and most of the merchandise sales. This is why you don't see Studio 8 doing those things like that much anymore and instead focusing on stuff they do own the rights too like Love Live.
Jul 15, 2015 5:09 PM

Apr 2011
Hope it won't be as horrible as the last gundam serie.
Jul 15, 2015 5:10 PM
Dec 2014
Kaioshin_Sama said:
lord23 said:

Gundam makes the vast majority of it's revenue not through disc media but merchandise and overall multimedia. That's why it's the 70 billion yen a year enterprise that it is and will continue indefinitely regardless of disc sales. If people think that disc sales are the primary concern with series like Gundam Build Fighters I'd say think again. When Bandai itself labels G-Reco a success that also says it all.

Sunrise is also not primarily an adaptation studio, they push originals that can be also be mass marketed by it's parent companies infrastructure. This also isn't going to change anytime soon as there's little benefit to them for adaptations like Accel World and Horizon on The Middle of Nowhere outside of disc sales which are a pretty small piece of the pie. I mean yeah they get included in the Sunrise Crusade TCG and there's the game adaptations but that's about the extent of the benefit since they don't own the licenses and gain nothing from light novel and most of the merchandise sales. This is why you don't see Studio 8 doing those things like that much anymore and instead focusing on stuff they do own the rights too like Love Live.
that true and I agree with this but then you also have cross ange which sold less then the other two but the creator wants to make more ?
Jul 15, 2015 5:17 PM

Oct 2007
lord23 said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

that true and I agree with this but then you also have cross ange which sold less then the other two but the creator wants to make more ?

Threshold for originals is a little different than for adaptations, but yes somehow they magicked that one into a success (hilariously it's done better than Aldnoah's Second Season so far, but then again so has Reconguista even just in terms of disc sales which has done better than that show overall period despite having the director doing everything in his power to tank the series commercially while it was the complete opposite for Aldnoah's team) which I'm honestly not too happy about since I think it sucked and is kind of bad for the mecha genre and that they should be held accountable. Ultimately the ball is actually in King Records court as the production committee head.

Again though disc sales are a secondary concern here. Most likely they looked at the overall multimedia package and decided that that was good enough from a purely commercial standpoint. I mean it did better than most originals these days....somehow. Incidentally speaking of Aldnoah I wonder whatever happened to that merchandise they apparently had planned with the model kits. I guess things just turned out so poorly for it they decided not to even bother since unlike Gundam the model kit brand isn't it's own established industry that can carry itself, but like man.
Jul 15, 2015 5:30 PM
Oct 2010
The animation, style and art are all simply stunning, but man the staff has me bummed.

The minute I saw the mech I thought to myself, this looks like something from an AU gundam or aldnoah zero.. low and behold 00 and AZ guy working on this. Then I look at the director and see a bunch of idol and romance shit.. then of course the cherry on the cake is okada.

I hope they prove me wrong, because the production values are insane and it's going to be interesting to see a gundam that gets upgraded through salvaging rather than a military just throwing stuff on it. Plus the show looks amazing.
Jul 15, 2015 5:38 PM
Dec 2014
Kaioshin_Sama said:
lord23 said:

Threshold for originals is a little different than for adaptations, but yes somehow they magicked that one into a success (hilariously it's done better than Aldnoah's Second Season so far, but then again so has Reconguista even just in terms of disc sales which has done better than that show overall period despite having the director doing everything in his power to tank the series commercially while it was the complete opposite for Aldnoah's team) which I'm honestly not too happy about since I think it sucked and is kind of bad for the mecha genre and that they should be held accountable. Ultimately the ball is actually in King Records court as the production committee head.

Again though disc sales are a secondary concern here. Most likely they looked at the overall multimedia package and decided that that was good enough from a purely commercial standpoint. I mean it did better than most originals these days....somehow. Incidentally speaking of Aldnoah I wonder whatever happened to that merchandise they apparently had planned with the model kits. I guess things just turned out so poorly for it they decided not to even bother since unlike Gundam the model kit brand isn't it's own established industry that can carry itself, but like man.
yeah I can see that wow I bean thinking this hole time disc sales were the thing that decided if a show gets a second season but I can see its more then that thanks
Kaioshin I guess at this point both those shows might be the next Fafner in the Azure i.e 10 years to make ? my guess is they wanted to see how season 2 would be but it ultimately failed and really hard if I may add
Jul 15, 2015 5:51 PM

Feb 2013
I am going to play devil's advocate here and say I am actually looking forward to see me some Iron-Blooded Orphans. Reminds me a lot of 08th MS Team which I quite enjoyed and it seems like it going at least a little bit messy. I am not all too thrilled with the staff but I'm going to give them the benefit of a doubt. Hope they can pull off a proper Gundam show.
Jul 15, 2015 6:43 PM

Nov 2012
lord23 said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:

Okada contributed greatly to a shitty fanfiction known as DEEN's Fate Stay Night and the second half of Aquarion Evol is utterly garbage. M3 wasn't much good either.

The other one mostly worked on romantic and drama series and while i personally liked Toradora!, i think it's a bit weird for him to be in a Gundam series.

Okada has a good reason to be hated or disliked tbh.
wait you mean the first Fate Stay Night anime the animation in that one sucked and Aquarion Evol second off is garbage but gundam is known for its romance and drama I know because a character in build fighters never shut up about that
You might be confusing Gundam with Macross but Gundam has NEVER done romance well at all nor has there been a series revolving around romance, Gundam was more known about the unique ideas involving war which I won't go to much detail here since it's spoiler.

Mecasonic said:
Btw, I believe the name Iron-Blooded/Tekketsu/鉄血 in the title is likely a reference to the Iron and Blood Volunteer Units/Tekketsu Kinnoutai/鉄血勤皇隊, a corps composed of 14-17-years-old boys who fought in the Battle of Okinawa during WWII.
This is actually very interesting.
RX-782Jul 15, 2015 6:47 PM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Mononoke: Karakasa' Reveals Supporting Cast, Theme Song, Trailer

DatRandomDude - 4 hours ago

1 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
55 minutes ago

» 'Fumetsu no Anata e' Gets Third Anime Season

Vindstot - Mar 12, 2023

20 by Klazzama »»
2 hours ago

» New '5-toubun no Hanayome' Anime in Production

Vindstot - Apr 28

38 by Playcool »»
5 hours ago

» 'Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi' Gets Second Season in Fall 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

15 by malvarez1 »»
6 hours ago

» New 'Keroro Gunsou' Anime Project Announced

DatRandomDude - Mar 31

12 by Foirelle »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.